Eve - Chapter 29

Printer-friendly version
Eve  

Chapter 29
(Revised)

 

Simon Jones is Eve Jones. But she didn't know.

 

 
 
Previously:

 
Mum has been found unconscious after an argument with Eve. She's in hospital and Eve has had to stay with Claire, with Sharon's blessing.

 
Now the story continues.
 
 
Eve Chapter 29
 
 

There had been no calls during the night so we were refreshed when we all rose at seven. Claire and Annie had school and Sharon insisted they both went. I showered then walked the short distance across to my house in a borrowed gown and grabbed some clothes for the day. I had no idea how long the day would be and did not fancy being anything other than fresh, at least to start with.

We got to the hospital carpark just before ten and found my Aunt Sue inside the entrance at the main enquiry desk. We were then told mum was on a general ward on the third floor, I'd have happily used the stairs but Sharon and aunt Sue both wanted to ride in comfort, so we took the lift.

Having met the ward sister we were directed to mum's bed, which was actually in the High Dependency Unit next door, so much for the front desk's information.

Mum was still unconscious and had a massive purple bruise on her forehead. We had been there for about a minute when a doctor approached, accompanied by a police officer.

"Miss Jones? Mrs Johnson? This police officer would like a word with you."

Aunt Sue spoke before Sharon could, "is this necessary, my niece is only sixteen and her mother is lying unconscious in a bed?"

"Madam, I'm Detective Constable Barnaby and I'm following standard procedure regarding this type of domestic incident. I believe your niece was the last person to see Mrs Jones before the incident," he turned to Sharon, "I'll like to speak to you as well, apparently you found Mrs Jones." Sharon nodded.

My aunt insisted on accompanying me to a side room with the copper.

"Ladies, I'm trying to do is to establish what happened, I'm not here to attribute blame, just to ensure that no crime was committed."

I looked at my aunt and nodded.

"DC Barnaby, my niece has a solicitor, I'm considering calling him."

"Madam, that is your right but I'm not recording this meeting and it's not under caution, it's simply a fact-finding exercise at the moment."

My aunt suggested he started; the DC first asked about the argument and what had happened before I went out through the door. He then asked me to recount the rest of that day. Of course my aunt was not already aware of the money or that morning's appointment with the consultant.

One thing that concerned me was that the DC repeated several of the questions in subtly different ways, as if he was trying to trip me up. Finally he was finished and we left the room, Sharon was his next victim.

At the bedside we now had a chance to speak to the doctor. His ID card was missing so I didn't get his name.

"Why is she still not awake?"

"We are keeping her under so we can keep the painkillers to a minimum. Once she's gone for an MRI later this morning we should get an idea if there's any permanent damage. We have an EEG scheduled for this afternoon to check her brain activity."

Aunt Sue spoke, "is that necessary?"

"I believe so, there appears to be several issues here. From what your niece and Mrs Johnson told Dr Majowski last night, we are fairly certain that she suffered a fall as a result of a seizure. There's no evidence of a stroke although at first sight this was suspected. We conducted a CT scan last night to establish that. Why she had a seizure however is another question entirely, we hope that these tests will give us a clearer view."

"What about the head injury?"

"That would be consistent with her hitting her head when she fell."

"So how long will she be here?"

"To be honest, even when the physical aspects have been dealt with, we need a better idea about the suspected seizure. The duty neurologist needs to see her and a psychiatrist has indicated he would like one of his team to talk to her."

"So, as I asked, how long?"

"I don't know. Perhaps a couple of days, maybe longer."

"When will you allow her to wake?"

"Once we've conducted the EEG this afternoon we'll wake her gradually. We will want to do another EEG tomorrow when she's fully awake."

The doctor left us at the bed as he went to speak to the duty nurse. Mum hadn't moved when Sharon returned from her interrogation, DC Barnaby followed her.

"Thank you ladies, I'm satisfied that this was an accident," then he left, was that all?

We stood there for a minute not knowing what to say, and no-one being willing to say it. In the end, my phone rang.

"Miss Jones?"

"Yes, who is this?"

"Oh, sorry, This is John Dixon. I've just been informed by the hospital that your mother is there."

"Yes Mr Dixon, but how did they know? I was about to call you myself to let you know."

"They have my contact information on file, given the recent events, and thought I should be called, especially as you are still technically a minor."

"I understand. Now, is there something that we need to do?"

"Not as yet, do you have somewhere safe to stay?"

"Yes, Mrs Johnson insisted I stayed with her last night but my aunt is also here. She lives across town."

"Right, I think we need to be careful. Although you're sixteen you shouldn't stay at home on your own, Social Services would take a dim view of that and might intervene even if we can see no issues. I'd like you to make appropriate arrangements and let me know, that way we can prevent any abrupt action by Social Services."

"Would they have to become involved?"

"I would hope not as they might try to blame you even if there's no other legal problem, therefore we need to cover our bases."

"Right."

"Now, there's the question of finances."

"I've got money, remember?"

"Yes, but that's not what I'm referring to. If your mother remains in hospital for a week or more then I may have to review your care arrangements, although your aunt would seem to be the best placed person but I'd have to speak to her. I'll call you early next week unless there are any changes in the meantime."

"Okay, my aunt is here if you want to speak to her now."

I handed the phone over and was about to sit down next to mum when I heard a familiar voice. I glanced over my shoulder and saw Dr Fox approaching.

"Hello Eve. I understand you mentioned my name in A&E last night."

"Yes, it seemed appropriate."

"Thank you for telling Dr Majowski that you were my patient as that meant I was told straight away. I won't however be speaking to your mum, I'll pass that responsibility to a colleague, Dr Masters."

"Is it necessary? I mean I told her she needed to see a shrink but I was angry."

"Eve, it's alright. Look, can we talk somewhere more private?"

I spoke to my aunt who had just finished talking to Mr Dixon. I retrieved my phone from her and made certain her phone was switched on before I followed Dr Fox to her familiar office a few floors down. She organised a coffee for us before sitting down. I got the feeling this was not going to be a five minute chat.

"Eve, firstly how do you feel?"

"I don't know. I mean we had an argument and I said some harsh things but I didn't mean for her to get hurt. I don't know if it was my fault."

"Don't feel that, the doctors don't believe it was your fault, although the stress of the current circumstances and argument might have contributed. It was probably simply a matter of time before this happened."

"I suppose so."

"How do you think your mum's doing?" I think Dr Fox was trying to see if I felt any antipathy.

"They are still doing tests and she's being kept unconscious."

"Thanks, I'll find out the results of those tests when you do. Now, can you tell me exactly what caused the argument."

I repeated what I'd told the police officer but in a more detailed way. Of course Dr Fox knew alot of the background and didn't seem too surprised at the accusations I'd thrown at mum last night.

"That's to be expected, Eve. You have come a long way in a very short time and at some point your fuse was going to blow, you have alot of resentment despite your calm exterior."

"So what are you going to do with me?"

"I'll monitor you but you should keep your appointments, particularly Dr Preston tomorrow. I understand you are also due an MRI."

"Yes, but I have no date as yet, I even don't have a time for Dr Preston tomorrow though."

"That's at 2pm, didn't he tell you?"

"No, he simply said it was Friday afternoon. He might have told mum, but she never told me."

"Never mind, at least you know. You have a busy day tomorrow, come and see me on Monday if your mum's still here; how about 1pm in the cafeteria? I lunch there every Monday and unfortunately I have a full schedule most days."

"I suppose so."

"Eve, I'm only concerned for your safety, despite what you might think."

"But what about mum?"

"That's for Dr Masters to determine, although obviously he'll want to talk to you and access your medical records."

"Do I have to give permission?"

"No."

"Oh."

"Don't worry Eve, it's all quite legal."

"If you say so."

"I do, look hadn't you best call your aunt and check where they are?"

I looked at my phone, there was a text from Sharon saying that they'd all left the hospital. I left Dr Fox and caught a bus home, via the town.

Once indoors we ate and I slumbered with Claire again. My life had taken a new twist and once again I wasn't in control and driving my life forward, I was just a passenger.

up
293 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Deliberate Obsfucation

littlerocksilver's picture

Eve is being kept in the dark about many things. There's always someone out there who 'knows' better.

Portia

Adult ?

tmf's picture

We got a pair of nice adult/guardian in Aunt Sue and Sharon.
I might be missing something, but to leave an underage kid alone in an hospital is not a good point for social service if they ear about it.
In my opinion, one or the other should have stay to make sure that Eve was OK with her mother being sick and passing time with the shrink.

Hopping she gain some control and some happiness.

Big Hugs tmf
Peace, Love, Freedom, Happiness

Not just...

...on the Social Services side, though that's a very real concern, but just on the humane, caring, "we're (temporarily) responsible for her well-being" front. It's beyond cold just without real communication (a text? really? and not even waiting for a reply?) to take off like that... >.>

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Maybe I missed something, but

Maybe I missed something, but I would never leave any child regardless of age alone in a hospital, and especially so if I were to be having her or him in my home later. What are the Aunt and Sharon thinking anyway? I also do not understand the comment from Dr. Fox that it is all quite legal for this Doctor Masters to access Eve's medical records, when she is not and has not been a patient of his before. Or doesn't the UK have any form of the HIPPA law that the US has? More strange doings all the way around indeed.

DC Barnaby

Any relation to DCI Barnaby of Causton CID, by any chance? :D


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!