A Longer War 16

Printer-friendly version

PART TWO

CHAPTER 16
“So, ladies and gentlemen, now that I have thoroughly ruined Ernie’s character, as is traditional, can we now do the other traditional thing and raise our glasses to the bride and groom, Mrs and Mrs Ernie Roberts!”

There was the usual answering chorus, and I looked round a sea of unfamiliar faces in which my friends’ shone brightly. It almost felt like coming home.

Dad had come through on his promise, and I had started out as a trainee fitter at a river mooring and repair place at Bishopsthorpe. It wasn’t that far by bike from home, and to be honest I had got quite attached to the open-air life after so long with the Tanks. I didn’t miss the rough sleeping and the bad weather, of course, but it still felt right to have air to breathe rather than what someone else had left behind. Mr Dobbs at the boatyard was a remarkably patient man, and he set out his stall early on.

“I know where you’ve been, lad, and there’s some habits you’d best lose sharpish. Hurrying’s one of them. Nobody shooting at you here, so take it steady and get there right. Now, what I had in mind for today is to have a look at a couple of engines we’ve got to fettle. One’s a Lister, t’other’s a Bolinder. Old thing, that one—hear that? Thump, thump, thump? That’s one there, going down to Selby. They’re right odd engines, those. Lister’s a bit more modern. What did you have in tank?”

“Meteor. Rolls Royce thing, basically what they put in a Spitfire. V-twelve. Governed down, of course, without a blower, and with lower-octane fuel, of course”

He had smiled at that. “See what you’ve done there, lad? Given me more engine detail in ten seconds than most people will ever know. Now, lad, thing with these is they’re compression-ignition, and unlike petrol, their fuel’s a lubricant, and so…”

Patience is what he taught me, how to lay everything out tidily whether on a bench or down in the bottom of a boat. I didn’t get to like boats, exactly, but the work grew on me. There was a contemplative aspect to it, a sort of meditation, and Mr Dobbs had a saying or proverb for everything.

“Always right tool for right job, lad, right spanner for right nut. Unless you need the number-four adjusting spanner, of course”

“Not seen that one. Which is it?”

“Lump hammer, lad. Sometimes summat just needs a bloody great wallop with something heavy. Goes for folk as well, I always say”

The warmer days became a steady progression of increasingly complex jobs, each requiring the tool roll he gave me to be laid out neatly to one side of my work space, and only the occasional application of the number four adjusting spanner for things like recalcitrant propellers.

The dreams were still there, of course, but Dad never spoke to me again the way he had that first day back. He had cracked once, it appeared, and men didn’t do such things. Men were strong, steady, resolute and didn’t spend the small hours with tears in their eyes. I noticed that he was spending a lot more time on the settee at night rather than with Mam, and I thought I understood why. The same things were in both of us.

Ernie’s wedding was an event I had really looked forward to, and Mam did the honours with the shapeless sack I had been issued, almost making something elegant from it, even sewing on my ribbons. Dad bulled my shoes for me, and I rode the train up for the bus past the race course to St Paul’s, where Ernie and Ada tied the knot in traditional style helped by a hoarded parachute her brother had apparently ‘saved’ after a shooting down when the Germans had tried our defences from Norway. Our war never went away, it seemed, even at times like this.

Ada was a pretty girl, beautiful that day, and even without her heels on she was taller than Ernie by an inch, but the two were clearly besotted with each other. The service was indeed traditional, though Ada had apparently had to have Strong Words with my old comrade about that little word ‘obey’, which in the end did not make an appearance. God alone knows how many sugar rations had been hoarded, but the cake was impressive in both its size and in the speed with which it vanished. Some people seemed rather keen to get their ration back in one sitting, and more besides. Ada’s Mam kept some aside for my own parents, though.

Part way through the reception at the Railway Club, I noticed a young woman by the door, a child in her arms. Ernie caught my gaze, and called me over.

“Thanks for coming, love. Ginge, this is Minnie Braithwaite, and this must be…”

Minnie looked down. “Wilf Ernie Bob Gerald Harry Braithwaite. I wanted to come and say thank you, and Ernie here kept in touch, so here we are. Not best place for little tyke here, so I won’t stay too long. Just wanted to meet a couple of the lads that kept him safe so long. You’ll be Hawkeye, then?”

Eh? “You what? I mean, beg pardon?”

“Our Wilf, he were right taken with you. Said if you could see it, you could hit it. Censors took some stuff out, but Ernie here’s filled in blanks for us. Got lad from Chronicle to look up some photos of that big tank you blew up. That were a right good job, and our Wilf, God rest him, told me all he was allowed to”

I could feel the blush. “Not just me, was it? I mean, Ernie here was quick as flash loading, and Harry knew how to drive, and Bob was spot on with tactics”

“Aye, would have been nice to meet those two as well. They not back?”

“Oh, Bob’s regular army, like. Still in Occupation over there. Harry…”

I looked at Ernie, and he shrugged. I stuck with the lie. “Harry had accident on way home to Harwich. With a pistol”

Minnie winced. “Oh what a shame! After he’d got all through to end as well!”

That was my first real appreciation that there were things never told to those who hadn’t been there at one time or another, and worse: that they simply never considered what the bloody mess had done to those of us who had, indeed, been through it. I thought of Dad’s own hesitant attempts to get his own pain into the light, I thought of Harry, of that smell I still experienced at times of stress, and I asked the obvious question.

If we are normal, if we are human beings, is it actually possible to come through it and reach some cleaner shore on the other side? We said our platitudes, we wished each other well, and agreed that yes, it would be a good idea to travel one day to show the boy where his dad was and why.

“Oh, Ernie?”

“Aye, Minnie?”

“Got that picture of yours framed and in best room. It’s right good: I knew it were Ginge here as soon as I saw him”

He laughed. “Hair not a clue? We used to use him when running blacked out. Happen his hair’s so bright we’d tie him to engine deck to warn vehicles behind”

I made a mock slap at his head, the cheeky Arab, and we told tales of cooking and brews, camouflage and scrounging, and Minnie just smiled, thanked us again. Ada had joined us at that point, and Ernie introduced them.

After another ten minutes or so of tale-swapping Minnie checked her watch, pinned to her dress like a nurse’s. “Got to go. Two trains to get, and littl’un needs his rest. Thanks for all you did for his dad, boys”

She gave each of us a kiss on the cheek and was gone. She placed little Wilf on a bench and took a different train, one that didn’t stop at Thirsk. It stopped in the end, though, once the driver reacted. It seemed I was wrong, and others did carry some of the same wounds we did.

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The damage done by war

This story shows how war can kill with more than just weapons. I hope that Ginge can be strong enough to survive this and find his own happiness.

I hope...

Andrea Lena's picture

and I grasp that hope tenaciously, even now with the progress I've made, but there are days when I ask questions like this -

If we are normal, if we are human beings, is it actually possible to come through it and reach some cleaner shore on the other side?

So real. So painful. And so very good! Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

It is a sad commentary that

It is a sad commentary that all wars bring with them, not only the dead, but also the physically wounded; along with the mentally wounded. In WWI, it was "shell shock", WWII, it was "battle fatigue"; Korea, also "battle fatigue"; Vietnam, pretty much the same, however there were the early beginnings of acknowledgement of Post Tramatic Stress (PTS); and todays conflicts (wars) have fully developed knowledge of PTS. I have purposely left of the D (disease), as it is NOT a disease; and more and more doctors are also acknowledging that as well.

It is and has been discovered that military personnel are not the only ones who can suffer from PTS. ANYONE can, depending on long they are involved in the issue/s and how strongly the issue/s interacted in their lives.

All these very fine troops really needed someone to talk to when they returned home from the war front. Sadly the majority of them did not get that help. I am glad that Minnie did come to the wedding reception, as she needed some closure in her own life and the life of her son as well.

You should not omit the D from PTSD it stands for Disorder

and not disease. It is properly regarded as such by the American Psychiatric Association. The sufferers have most certainly had their lives disordered by the stress they have been through, so there is no need to modify the normally accepted abbreviation for their condition. The Wikipedia article is worthy of study.

Like ripples

on a pond, war reaches out and affects so many if in different ways. Maybe they didn't see the horrors of battles, but they lost those they loved and will never see them again. Let's not forget the terrible Blitz and all the other terrors that WWII gave the world.

Grover

she didn't ...

she didn't do what I think she did, did she? And the little one too?

DogSig.png

Yes

Yes she did... and no she didn't, little Wilf was sat on a bench.

Gods that was a brutal paragraph...

Thank you

Abby

Battery.jpg

You got it

There are plot issues that necessitate that scene, but it hurt to write it, so I left it as spare as I could manage. I am glad the meaning got through. The emotions in this one are truly hard to put down on 'paper'.
Gerald's dad has done his best, but men don't talk like that. Not Real Men.

I nearly took that train myself.....

D. Eden's picture

Several times. I have spent more than a few moments sitting by the tracks watching an approaching train, trying to find a reason not to take that last step. Luckily for me, I always found a reason - my children have kept me from leaving this world on numerous ocassions.

To know that you loved someone so deeply, so profoundly, that you can't live without them.....

I still don't think that I could leave my child behind - a child that was a part of the one I loved.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

You're not alone

In this. Michael's existence kept me alive many times.

Liz

Survival:-

Survival mechanisms, coping strategies, or just simply 'getting on with what's left of ones sanity'. And yes, it's not just war (though that is perhaps the most well understood trauma),other experiences, other occasions, other circumstances can make those demands of an individual and affect their lives to the end. It makes some introspective, silent, and seemingly unfeeling, whilst others become angry, destructive, aggressive even.

It's vital to be able to somehow share the hurt and the military associations provide the arena to do just that. Alternatively, this site is similarly one that enables those traumatised by whatever circumstances surrounding their lives to do exactly that; share the experiences with others of like and therefore understanding minds.

In this story Steph, you don't just touch upon the issues but you drive deeper and that depth is what makes your work so moving.

Thanks again,

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Poor Little Wilf

joannebarbarella's picture

While I kind of understand Minnie's actions, as usual it's the ones left behind who suffer. I just hope the kid didn't end up in one of those terrible "institutions" run by savages that seemed to proliferate in the UK after the war (and evidently still do). Maybe Ernie's mates worked something out to care for him and gave or found him a loving home.

Not that I'm trying to put words in your mouth Steph,

Joanne

"Once the driver reacted"?

Athena N's picture

Rather, once the train responded. One of the more heartbreaking moments, going through my grandfather's papers, was finding the reports he'd had to write as the driver on a couple of journeys like this. Intellectually, it was a nice balancing act between, on the one hand, making clear there was nothing he could have done and, on the other hand, trying to make it look like an accident so the family would be spared as much as possible. Emotionally, though...

men like my old man les were

men like my old man les were as the yanks say the greatest generation . My old man was PBI wet cold or too hot .Did not like red caps either or kruts.

Words fail.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Steph, words really fail me. Your depiction of Minnie’s death, like Harry’s, is sudden and brutal . . . and yet, spare and plain as a pine box. The writing so completely matches the subject that I can’t help but admire it . . . while at the same time that emotional response feels all wrong, like I’m missing the point. But rest assured, I am feeling the loss of each of these characters. They may be fictional, but their stories are so very real.

Emma

Minnie

The main 'arguments' of the book can be summed up as:
War is far from fun
It doesn't let its victims go easily
It affects many, many more people than those being shot at.

I simply can't do the 'slow drive-by' death scene, or couldn't for her.. I saw a scene in the 'Everest' film which struck me with its brutal brevity, chiming so well with Minnie's suicide. A disoriented climber is being helped down from the summit, and is traversing a narrow ledge. Confused, he unclips from the fixed rope, steps back into space, and is gone. That's it. No scream, no flailing arms, just straight down out of camera framing.

My style, I suppose: as sparse as the real event would have been brutal, and as sudden.