Eve - Chapter 30

Printer-friendly version
Eve  

Chapter 30
(Revised)

 

Simon Jones is Eve Jones. But she didn't know.

 

 
 
 
Previously:

Eve's mum has been admitted to hospital after a suspected siezure.

Now the story continues.
 
 
Eve Chapter 30
 
 
Dr Fox had said I would have a busy Friday, but I hadn't realised just how busy.

Just before eleven I was at the GP surgery having another armful of blood taken, plus the usual checks. He had asked if my mother was in the waiting room as he wanted to give me a complete physical.

Of course I had to tell him about her collapse and suspected siezure, although I left out the probable cause. The physical could wait for now unless there was another adult who could give authority and be present. He made a note to contact the hospital later, he was also mum's GP.

I grabbed a bus to the hospital as it seemed pointless heading home and arrived there close to midday. I had some time to kill before my appointment with Dr Fox so I decided to follow up something from Wednesday and made my way to the Out Patients reception. Brenda wasn't there but her manager spotted me and asked for a quiet word.

"I understand you were quite abrupt with my staff member on Wednesday."

"It depends from which side you look at it. I was here for an appointment and it was the hospital's fault that we were alot longer than we should have been. Also, did you know that Brenda was hiding her staff ID, in contravention of the hospital rules?"

"How do you know the rules?"

"I don't, I just made an educated guess. I'm right though?"

"Yes, that is a rule for the staff. Now, onto this parking ticket."

"Yes, what are you going to do?"

"I've passed it to security saying you're refusing to pay."

"So you haven't spoken to the Chief Exec's office?"

"No, it's not their responsibility."

"If that's your answer then fine. As my solicitor was aware of our meeting upstairs on Wednesday and the Chief Exec changed the time of our out-patient appointment without prior warning you will find a letter from my solicitor very shortly unless you see sense in the next five minutes."

"Is that a threat? I will not tolerate that and will have you removed from the hospital premises young lady."

"Fine, if you want to do that. I would however like to inform you that my mother is lying unconscious in a bed on the third floor."

I spun around and pulled my mobile out, calling Mr Dixon and giving him the 30 second summary. He promised a fax would be sent within minutes. Next I called Dr Fox and explained what was happening, she'd given me her mobile number the previous week. It didn't take long for something to happen. Out of the corner of my eye I saw security approaching. I stood my ground, in the middle of the public area.

"Miss Jones, we're here to escort you off the premises for harassing a member of staff."

"Lay one finger on me and I'll have you prosecuted for assault. As I'm a minor that would be a spell in the clink no doubt."

"You will have to leave, regardless."

"I won't." I raised my voice for this statement, although shouting was not necessary. I folded my arms as a crowd gathered. A couple of familiar voices were heard over the murmers.

"Eve, can you come over here?"

Dr Fox was there and the deputy Chief Exec was stood next to her. The executive sent the security goons away and dismissed the original antagonist.

I was obviously wound up but had to give a summary to both of them, starting with the appointment and parking problem on Wednesday, adding that mum had suffered a suspected seizure not long afterwards, I added that it might have been caused by stress related, although no-one had actually suggested this.

The senior manager shook his head and walked towards the reception manager's office. Dr Fox grabbed my hand and walked me to the cafeteria. She took me to the self-service counter and we picked up a couple of toasted sandwiches plus a coffee. I went to pay but was told to put my money away, we took a table in a far corner.

"Eve, why didn't you go up to see your mum instead of creating a fuss?"

"I'd been told they were doing tests on her today, but they knew I'd see her later this afternoon as they were supposed to be waking mum up."

"Right, now what's this about the parking and the Chief Exec's office?"

I went through Wednesday's meeting, without mentioning how much money was involved, followed by the unresolved scan later that morning. I then explained my conversation with Brenda, finishing with a full re-run of the previous half-hour.

"No wonder you were annoyed, but couldn't it be done quietly?"

"I tried, but he wouldn't listen so I decided that a fuss in public would at least get attention."

"Too true, but risky."

"You know, at every turn I've had problems at this hospital, and you were the first."

"You see it that way, but it is tainted with resentment, as I said yesterday? The thing is, how are you going to deal with this?"

"If the hospital idiots back off I'll be fine. We'll know more about mum's condition soon, then perhaps we can both go home. I'd be happier not having to come here for any more appointments, if that's possible?"

"I can't speak for the surgical teams but Dr Preston has a private practice at St Saviour's Hospital across town, ask if you can see him there? I can see you at your GP surgery if that helps?"

"That sounds better, how soon?"

"I'll look at my schedule and phone your surgery, I'll call you later today or tomorrow morning."

"Thanks."

We finally tucked into our lunch and didn't see the Deputy Chief Exec approaching.

"Doctor, Miss Jones, could I have a word?"

We nodded, with mouths full.

"I've reviewed this situation with witnesses and CCTV and acknowledge that the hospital is at fault. Whilst security didn't know who you were when the penalty was imposed, it should have been cancelled as soon as it was brought to our attention. It appears one member of staff passed it to her manager saying you were adamantly refusing to pay, omitting to mention your complaint."

"So that accounts for Brenda, who didn't want me or anyone else to know her name."

"Yes, she has been suspended pending an investigation."

"What about her manager?"

"He had an opportunity to deal with this on Wednesday and then missed it today. He's now been sent home and will see me on Monday."

"Right, now the ticket?"

"That's been cancelled, of course, and your solicitor has been informed. He has suggested a free parking permit."

"That would help, but as my mother is lying in a bed right now, it would be pretty useless for just her car, we'd need it for any car."

"In that case we'll issue a permit to you and your mother, valid for any car for twelve months."

"That's acceptable, but why are we still having these problems?"

Dr Fox intervened. "I'd agree, Eve and her mother have not received a fully professional reception here, obviously the hospital has already admitted responsibility more than once but by now should have learnt the lesson. Eve is currently under my care and her mother is now a patient. This is not a good advert for the hospital."

"I accept what you're saying and I will re-issue our professional standards advice to all support services. Certain individuals will also get personal inspections."

I answered this one. "That might help, but some people are so ingrained in their approach, any changes may be short-lived."

"I understand. I'll investigate setting up a mystery customer approach for out-patients department and I'd like you to report all your visits, good or bad."

"Dr Fox and myself have discussed this and I hope most of my appointments will be elsewhere for now."

"I'm sorry if it has come to that."

"So am I."

The deputy Chief Exec walked away to leave just myself and the doctor. Interestingly Dr Fox was defending me against the hospital's bureaucracy, indeed she was the only one defending me right now.

"Eve, did you want to see your mum before your appointment with Dr Preston?"

"That sounds like a good idea, I've got 45 minutes."

I walked up to the ward where mum was. Her bed was empty so I wandered over to the nurses station.

"Excuse me, my mother Debbie Jones was here?"

"I've just come on shift, can you give me a moment?"

I waited for five minutes while she looked, went away, looked again and finally said, "she's gone to neurology."

More tests then, should I be worried?

up
294 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

harassment

about time someone put an end to this harassment

DogSig.png

Sadly, there ware way too

Sadly, there ware way too many officious people who work in hospitals. For some unexplained reasons, they tend to believe that they are the "end all and be all" when it comes to dealing with those who might be "out patients", visitors, or family members. They do not want to treat others as they themselves wish to be treated, and even speak in the third person when talking to others. How Eve is being treated is shameful indeed, and I am glad she stood her ground. Yes, she caused a scene, but sometimes that is what you need to do to get someone to help you.