Take Three Girls Part 6

Printer-friendly version


Take Three Girls - Part 6

Take Three Girls 2.jpg

Take Three Girls. This is about 2 girls and one woman (myself) and their very different route to become the women they knew they should be. It was going to be called Take Two Girls, but an on line friend (she knows who she is) and the girls bullied me into the name change. Some poetic licence has been used to help the flow of the story but not very much.

In this chapter June and I get to talk to Kate’s mother Kate gets a referral to the specialist Tavistock and Portman in London

***************************

I looked at Carl and Pete and commented, “There must be a lot of dust in the air as I seem to have something making my eye’s water.” Typical northerner they grinned and said, “We got summat in our eyes at work it’s a bugger to get out innit Pete” “Liars” I responded with a broad grin.

I think Kate and her mum had cried themselves out. Helen (Kate’s mum) held her at arms length looking intently at her, “You look lovely sweetheart!” she finally breathed breaking into tears again.
Kate managed to hold onto her tears told her mum, “Aunty Av made sure I was dressed properly.” “Aunty Av?” her mum asked looking confused so I said, “It’s what she has decided to call me.”
Helen regarded me long and hard finally saying, “You’ve done a good job, thanks for looking after Kate till we sort thing out at home – and we’ve got to talk.”

Kate’s birthday went really well, she was just like any other thirteen year old girl animated, excited and hyper active, when the birthday cake appeared and everyone sang Happy Birthday to her there were tears in her eyes. Finally we left, I had a argument with Carl as he wouldn’t accept any money from me – typical man!

Standing outside June made arrangements with Helen and I to meet up at her office tomorrow afternoon to discuss Kate.
I was a bit uncomfortable about this because my role is simply talking to the teens and making a range of suggestions. But with Kate I was becoming emotionally involved so I spoke up, “June are you sure you want me present, this is surely between Helen and yourself I am not really qualified to..........” June cut me off looking me directly in the eyes saying, “Avril you are the best person here to give advice I would appreciate it if you are there tomorrow!”

Message received and understood I thought. Helen said quietly, “And I need you there Kate likes and trusts you.” Then she finished bitterly sobbing, “which is more than she does me!” I couldn’t help myself I took Helen into my arms telling her, “You are so wrong there Kate adores you she’s always talking about you she honestly loves you so much.”
She squeezed me saying tearfully, “I can see why Kate like’s you Avril.” Then straightening her back gathered her sons and left saying as she got into Carl’s car, “See you tomorrow – and thanks Love you Kate.”

Kate was distressed at her family leaving her, I slipped my arm around her shoulders and hugged her to me saying, “Don’t worry sweetheart you’ll be home soon you see.”
Those big green eyes looked at me, “Promise Aunt Av?” I squeezed her again and promised her. Then we walked over to my car my arm still around her slender shoulders.
“Our Carl likes you,” she suddenly announced. “Pardon” “I said Our Carl likes you!” she repeated. Well I responded, “I like him he thinks a lot about you too Kate.”
“Nooooo aunty Av I mean likes you – really likes you!” Then the penny dropped “Oh Goodness” I said weakly. She grinned up at me then as any thirteen year old would do once they see that they have the adult on the ropes (so to speak) she pressed home the advantage carrying on, “If you married our Carl you’d be my sister!” Once again I was getting outsmarted, “Kate that will never happed I’m the same age as your mother – his mother. Now behave!”
If the truth were known I was a bit uncomfortable the way the conversation was going. We got in the car and drove home, I let her wind down after the party; then about ten then it was bedtime.

I went to say goodnight as I bent over to give her a kiss she flung her arms around my neck and sobbed, “Thanks Aunt Av that was the best birthday ever!”
I smiled down at her answering, “No need to thank me Carl organised it all I did was get you there.” She hugged me fiercely telling me, “No you did it you made me pretty.” This made me laugh, “Kate; you made you pretty. You are pretty all I did was help you a little.” She let go murmuring, “I still love you Aunty Av” As I walked to the door I told her, “to go to sleep school tomorrow.” Her voice got louder and as I left she said, “He does really like you!” I didn’t trust myself to answer that.
As I went downstairs I thought to myself ‘there is no way that can ever happen, Carl was just not my type’ smiling at the thought I settled down and watched the TV.

Tuesday, this was the day I was going to meet up at Junes office and discuss Kate with June and Helen Kate’s Mum I was uncomfortable about this because I simply was not trained for this; all I do is give advice.
But I managed to talk myself into going so after Kate left, I worked until noon then getting changed drove to Junes office at the council buildings.

The meeting went well Kate’s mum really only wanted what was best for Kate but her husband was the stumbling block especially when he was ‘in drink’.
I suggested that an organisation called ‘Mermaids’ be contacted. I knew someone who worked for them who used to work at the Tavistock and Portman. So I phone my friend and arranged for a meeting the next day. June was happy with this arrangement and so was Helen so it was arranged that I pick Helen up where she worked and take them to talk to ‘Mermaids’.

Afterwards I drove Helen back to work and discovered that her husband used to be really nice until he found drink – in a big way now he gets drunk most nights and get violent at the slightest thing. This was why Carl left home and she was afraid Pete would be doing the same soon. The poor woman was really worried and I think very afraid because Pete was the main reason she (and Kate) didn’t get more abuse.

I arrived home just before Kate and told her about tomorrow. She was apprehensive but I reassured her that if this is truly how she feels then this is the path she must go down.
On Wednesday I picked Kate up from school then went to pick her mum up and drove them to the office of Mermaids.
I fully intended to sit in the car and wait for them but Kate insisted that I go with them. Helen said, “Please Avril I need some support.” So I ended up going with them.

The person I knew was a psychologist (He’d helped me in my transition before specialising in teens) and could refer Kate as required. The meeting lasted for well over an hour with Kate doing most of the talking. Helen remembers Kate telling her at six years old that god had made a mistake and could she have her Willy chopped off!
He asked her how she would feel when puberty started and she started to get male characteristics. Her response was vehement stating, “if that ever happens I’d kill myself” she looked at her mum and I and pointedly told us, “And you would never stop me!”
So it would seem that this feeling has been with Kate for years and festering away.
At the end he suggested that Kate be referred (as I’d hoped) to the Gender Identity Service at the Tavistock and Portman in London.

I took Kate’s mum back to work and as I dropped her off she asked, “If Kate has to go to London I’ll never be able to go he’ll know and go crazy.” “I understand Helen” I responded “But if you want what’s best for Kate then you have to go.”

We left it at that and drove Kate home to say she was excited was putting it mildly. I had to bring some reality into the proceedings so I told her, “Kate remember this is just the beginning until you are 16 you cannot be prescribed hormones the place you are going will be able to help. But sweetheart don’t expect too much.”
(In 2007 the UK law was anyone under the age of 16 couldn’t be given hormone treatment or Lupron (puberty blockers) this law was changed in 2011 and lowered the age to 12)

I phoned June and told her what had happened and told her about Helen’s problems about taking Kate to London. June took this on board and informed me in no uncertain terms, “Well if the referral is before Kate goes home then as you are looking after her you really have to go with her!”

We settled down to something of a normal life I really was getting used to having this tornado about the place.
Thursday came the phone call I had both been dreading and praying for. If we could get to London tomorrow we would be seen. The Tavistock and Portman were setting up for a clinical trial; which would last for three years and they were quite excited about Kate. This was a classic case of ‘it’s not what you know it’s who you know!”

So I phoned June to tell her she chuckled over the phone saying, “I’m glad you are going Avril you know exactly what she is going through.” I phoned Jan to tell her and got the same type of response. Then I phoned my friend at Mermaids and thanked him. What he said surprised me, “Avril, keep an eye on young Kate, she’s quite delicate and stressed – keep her feet on the ground.

I packed an overnight bag for the two of us, booked into a Premier Travel Inn and laid some clothes out for Kate to change into when she got home. My neighbour was happy to look after my dogs for a day now we were ready.

I phoned the Tavistock and gave the referral our appointment was for ten the next morning and would last for at least four hours. So I rearranged things begged and pleaded with my long suffering neighbour for her to look after my dogs until Sunday packed more clothes for the two of us and waited for Kate.

She arrived just before four so I hurried her upstairs to get changed when she found out where we were going she was absolutely hyper. She had never been to London she saw the appointment as a really positive step.
I was bombarded with questions “Had I put a dress in? How long would it take to get to London? Where are we staying? Will the Queen be there? Will I see her? How long are we there for?” you get the idea her mind was flitting from one thing to another. In order of asking my replies were, “Yes 2. About four hours. A Hotel. Don’t know. Doubt it. Two days.”
We caught the train – only just because she had to say goodbye to Sam and Dillon. Settling down in the carriage once again I was bombarded by questions it would seem that the furthest Kate had ever gone was to the coast for a week’s holiday at Scarborough!

Arriving at Kings Cross we headed for the tube – this was another first for Kate and the questions simply never stopped coming. I kept tight hold of her just in case and soon we were at Tower Bridge.
Our hotel was the Premier Inn at Tower Bridge, I was now well after ten but what the hell! We booked in then went for a walk across the iconic bridge and stood looking at the river.
I introduced her to Sushi – now if you are following this story you will remember the seafood risotto well this was similar but more intense in the questioning and probing with a greater range of suspicious expressions passing over her face!
After the initial scepticism she admitted that she liked Sushi except when she slapped too much wasabi on a mouthful!

While she was with me I was determined to expand her horizons give her new experiences and the Sushi was just one of these. We got back to the hotel just after midnight we slept in the same bed and slept really well until I was rudely awoken at seven by an excited Kate who wanted to go exploring. The only exploring we would do today would be at the hospital.

Lovely Day

up
96 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It's different for girls

Rhona McCloud's picture

I know she has tough times ahead but this captures the excitement of 13 year old Kate beautiflly…

Rhona McCloud

Beautifully written

I'm REALLY enjoying this story. I agree totally with Rhona - you really capture how this sweet girl is enjoying being allowed to be a girl at long last.