Eve - Chapter 35

Printer-friendly version
Eve  

Chapter 35
(Revised)

 

Simon Jones is Eve Jones. But she didn't know.

 

 
Previously:

Eve and Claire are now engaged but David Stevens, Senior and Junior, have been involved in an altercation in a store.

Now the story continues.
 
 
Eve Chapter 35
 
 

More security guards arrived and David Stevens senior was bound using plastic cuffs. His son had got up and tried to pull one of the guards off his father, the spectacle was causing a crowd to form and I stood up to get a better view, my phone was now in my hand.

Outside I saw blue lights and four police officers came running in. One put his hand on the son and received a punch. The lad was pulled back onto the floor immediately, I thought I heard him hit the tiling as there was a cracking sound. Within seconds he was cuffed, with the metal variety. The Police Officer who'd been punched now fell backwards, clutching his stomach. His colleagues were calling urgently for an ambulance as one of the store staff grabbed a med kit.

Enough staff had now gathered to clear the area, blocking my view of the action, although I could still hear swearing coming from the store entrance. After a few more minutes, and more flashing blue lights, the swearing stopped and the store entrance was clear again.

I had taken a few pictures with my mobile phone while this was going on and now used it to make a call.

"Mr Dixon? Eve Jones. We're at the Apex Retail Park. The two David Stevens have just been arrested, it looks like it's shoplifting and assaulting a police officer."

"Thank you Miss Jones. I'll speak to the police and see what can be done."

He rang off and mum glared at me.

"Eve, I should have made that decision to call our solicitor."

"Mum, calm down. It needed doing and I had my phone out already. Look, we need to get something for dinner, we're not going to achieve anything sat here."

My fiancée offered a word or two. "Little miss bossy boots, eh?"

Claire then poked her tongue at me, Mum shrugged and looked like she'd lost this battle of the wills, it wasn't even the first battle of the day she'd lost. We scooted round the store and picked up a joint of beef for tonight. We raided the clothes section for a few t-shirts and everyday knickers. They had some cheap everyday moulded bras that I needed for school, I didn't need those chicken fillet enhancers any more, but it did no harm to help what I now had naturally.

We drove back home and unloaded the car into the kitchen. It was late enough to start cooking the Sunday roast so Mum took that job. Claire and I walked over to their house and into the kitchen there, Claire decided to make the announcement.

"Mum, we've got something to tell you."

There was a squeal and Annie pointed at our hands, "rings! Does that mean....?" We nodded.

"Claire, Eve, I hope you know what you're doing. You are both under seventeen for at least a few more days. I'll have to speak to your Mum when we come over for dinner."

"Sharon, we know exactly what we're doing and we know it's right. I want Claire as my bride, but not until we've finished school. Please speak to my mum, she's probably still in shock." I didn't know about the dinner arrangement, not that I'd object!

Annie pulled us both into the lounge and wanted to the highlights about my proposal and the shopping trip. I'd clean forgotten about the laptop and the spotty faced shop assistant. Claire decided to fill in with other important information.

"We've bought some LBDs for Friday's party."

"What party young lady?" asked Sharon from the doorway.

"Sharon, we thought we could celebrate our engagement at the same time as Claire's birthday."

"Perhaps, but I've arranged nothing."

"Mum, can we go for a Chinese? I''d love to invite some of the girls from school as well."

"Woah, I'm not made of money."

I intervened, "Sharon, I'll pay for the meal. Claire, which friends?"

"Suzie and Andrea. They just transferred from the other High School so they've not met you."

"Oh."

"Don't worry, they're really brill."

"If you say so!"

"Girls, I'll book a table for a maximum of eight. Annie, get me the phone book please."

That was easy, I thought. Just one small change needed.

"Sharon can that be ten please? I'd like Jenny and my aunt there."

"So long as you're paying!"

I gave Claire a sloppy kiss and headed back. Mum was peeling potatoes as I entered but had a glass of fruit juice waiting for me. After a quick sip I picked up my dress, Claire's was there as well, and headed upstairs. A few more trips meant that everything was up and laying on my bed or put away.

I really wanted to use my new laptop straight away but resolved to plugging it in to charge the battery first. I opened the printer box and made room for it, moving my existing printer onto the floor. It could go the the garage later just in case I needed it again.

When I had cleared everything and could now sit on my bed, I had a sad thought. Claire had school tomorrow so would best sleep in her own bed. I'd be alone for the first time since last Wednesday night. I wondered if I'd be able to cope with it?

I changed my mind and picked up the laptop, guessing that it might distract me from my sleeping arrangement. Once I switched it on I was faced with a long winded set-up and compulsory registration that I'd never encountered before. One day they'll realise that this is a ridiculous routine.

I was finally onto the web and managed to access my facebook account. There was a message from cousin Jenny.

"Just been told, you naughty girl."

How did she know so quick, I'd meant to phone her but had got so wrapped up with everything that I'd forgotten. Then the phone rang. Mum shouted for me, I dropped the laptop on my bed and ran downstairs to grab the handset.

"You little vixen."

"Jenny, how did you know?"

"Someone told my mum, and I waited until you read my message on your new laptop. I knew it wouldn't take long, you are going to send me a photo of that ring."

"Woah, slow down. I should have realised that the family gossip network would have been running at full steam." Mum was stood in the kitchen doorway wearing the face of the guilty party. "How would you like to go for a Chinese on Friday, your mum too?"

"Try stopping me, which one?"

"I think Sharon is calling the Peking Palace. I'll get the details to you when I know them. It's Claire and Annie's birthday too."

"That's three presents, are you trying to bankrupt me? It's a shame we don't have Chapter 11 in this country."

"Chapter what? Never mind. I'll get the camera out and mail a photo later. Bye."

I rang off and went to help mum, the food smelled wonderful. The phone rang again, this time it was our solicitor.

"Miss Jones, just to let you know we will need you at court tomorrow, and Miss Claire Johnson please. Both David Stevens have been remanded in custody, they'll be in court at ten o'clock. The charges look interesting but may change before the morning from what I hear."

"Thank you, I'll pass that on."

I walked back across and went upstairs to see Claire in her room to give her the news. We then went to find Sharon who, as yet, knew nothing of the incident at the hypermarket.

"Claire will be needed in court."

"I'll send a note into school with Annie, I hope they'll understand."

I suggested we all headed to my house, Annie of course wanted the gory details of the day's main events. I repeated my description of the proposal.

"So you got down on one knee?"

"Hmmm, yes."

"Did anyone see you?"

"Just the staff in the jewellers."

"Oh, you could have let me know in advance, I would've liked to have been there."

"Annie, If I'd have known ...."

We all giggled, mum and Sharon had bemused looks as she'd missed the conversation.

"Girls, when you've finished can you sort out the table."

"Mum, wine?"

"Not tonight, I don't want to set a bad example, plus we've got to be bright for tomorrow morning's appointment at the court."

In the end mum produced a non-alcoholic fruit punch which went quite nicely with the dinner. Of course it was served in wine goblets so a toast could be made to us, the happy couple, those words have a lovely ring to them. Mum insisted on taking a few photos of us, and our diamonds.

"Claire, my dear?"

"Yes my love?"

"Your place or mine tonight?"

up
346 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lets see, the two Stevens had

Lets see, the two Stevens had restraining orders against them, IF they both knew that Eve and Claire and Eve's Mum were even in the mall, they were in violation. More jail time to be added to their 'fresh' charges of assault, battery, probably trespassing on mall property. If I drew a pair like these two, I would throw in my hand (poker comment).
I am hoping that the rings don't cause Claire and/or Eve problems at school from either the teachers, administration or other students. You just never know how some cretins are going to respond and act. Janice Lynn