The Platinum Chef : A Tale of Delacroix Part XXI

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 71

“That smells really good.”

“Dude.” Faye said, turning to Nick and rested her weight on one hip. “It’s bacon and onions. That’s it.”

“Still smells good.”

Faye had talked Nick into stopping at Freddie’s on the way home. She came out with a big bag of groceries in one hand and a long baguette of French Bread with the other. Nick knew better than to ask, just accepted that something awesome would follow.

Some more sounds in the kitchen clattered before Faye came out.

“What are you playing?”

“One of those Role Playing Games. Heard some good things about this one.”

Hmmm, Faye thought. I’ve done enough role playing.

Watching Tim at the mall made her realize that what she wanted more than him was just to see him happy. The same happy I saw at the mall.

It wasn’t the same happy he showed with me. The reflection was true. Granted, he thought he was showing ‘Bobbie’. But, the shower of attention was nice, especially with someone not accustomed to it.

She remembered how he looked staggering up the road drunkenly…

He only wanted you.

Telling her the horrible secret of his family.

So what if he thought it was her. He opened up to you. You helped his mom, too. So that’s like a double.

That tender moment in a tangled heap behind a large headstone.

We’ll always have the Graveyard.

Thanks, Stacy. An indirect assist from Stacy Keebler during a lesson in romance was another of those signs that Katy Perry must have been intimately acquainted with.

She knew that pouting like a child wouldn’t do anyone any good. It had to end.

For everyone’s sake, it had to end.

It was that moment that Faye knew what she was going to do. She pulled out her phone and sent a text to Bobbie.

Need to talk.

“Hey, Nick.”

“Yeah. I need to finish the chowder. Faye and I need to talk for a minute. She’s coming back here. You think maybe…”

Nick grimaced. “Yeah. Haven’t seen Richard in a few days. You know I hate this right?”

“Don’t worry. I’m sure things will be back to normal very soon.” Faye smiled. Very soon.

Maybe putting everything back together won’t be so bad. A grin formed as she imagined what the makeup sex with Rach would be like. She heard Nick leave for Experience Point.

Faye poured some milk into a pan and turned on the heat. She had a lot to say to Bobbie. And here was the opportunity

 ***

Tim was laughing when she told him about the Drop Bears sequel.

“Come on? You don’t want to see that? First one was hilarious. This should be better, hipsters dying well deserved deaths. How many jokes can you get out of Vegemite in a beard?”

Bobbie looked longingly at him. “We can watch the first one tomorrow.”

“or not.” She crept closer, sliding her hand over his tightened rear end.

“Tomorrow, I’ve got deliveries. Today was fun. One thing you two both tell me is that I work too hard. But, if we’re gonna be a success we can’t stop now.”

“Awww, it’s so hard to get you alone now.” She felt his erection through his pants. “Or just always hard.” The grin turned devilish again.

“Bobbie. I gotta ask.” Tim looked nervous.

“Do you really like it in there? I mean, I know it’s you and all. But it’s not you, you know.”

Bobbie wilted slightly. “Look, I’m a guy and sex is nice and everything. But that’s not what it’s about with us. I love you because…”

“Does just because count as an answer? Think about it. You are the one person in my life that has done the most, for me and my Mom.”

“I just want everything to go back to normal, too.” Bobbie said, suddenly feeling smaller.

“Just don’t feel like you have to throw yourself at me. If you love me, show it by laughing at my stupid jokes, or just being with me. I just hope that everyone understands.”

“Understands what?”

“Look at it from everyone else’s point of view. I dumped Bobbie and started dating Faye. God, Heather’s gonna hate me, and Beth. You’re gonna have to help me keep the bakery together.”

She thought of being alone with Tim in the bakery. The fondant station was just the beginning…

“Gotta bleach that fondant station. Can’t even imagine what my Mom will have to say about this.”

Smiling wanly, Tim looked down at her, he grabbed both of her hands in his. “I love you, no matter what.”

“But, was that you? The blonde girl who helps everyone? Or is that video how…?”

Bobbie jerked her head back, gasping. He had never mentioned it, not once in all the time they had known each other.

Tim let the sound die in this throat. “I… didn’t mean anything by it just…” He was backpedaling quickly.

Not you, too. She collapsed on him, listening to the elevated beat of his heart. “Is that what you think?”

“No.” Tim said defensively. “It’s just…. Do I need to get into shape? Read extra books on sex?”

Bobbie gave a weak laugh.

“If this is how it’s going to be, just tell me. And it’ll be okay.”

“Just hold me for a minute.” There was that goddamn video again. Gonna have to talk to Roxx about that. She found it funny that it was easier to think of her as Roxx now. Bobbie saw none of Melanie left in her anymore.

Tim clasped Bobbie to him, absorbing the awkward silence.

“I just want to be where you are, share things with you…”

“…my life. I mean we built a bakery from scratch. You saw it last night. Be part of it again. Faye’s references were off, now that I think about it. Did she tell you about the Ishtar?”

Bobbie looked at Tim, she saw worry and determination mix in the orange and yellow washed taut over his skin.

I want to, more than anything. “No one saw Ishtar. Not even the people who made it.”

“Right?” Tim said. His stomach rumbled to punctuate the remark. It had been hours since the corn dogs at the mall. The sun started to fall along its lazy arc and give way to the celestial curtain of night.

When the sun went down, Bobbie thought of Faye. In a way it had been wrong of her to tell Tim and to pop up at the bakery like that. Her own selfishness getting the better like so many of her other old habits.

Died harder than Bruce Willis.

“I know that it’s the sweet girl in there. Trapped in the body of a Playboy model.” Bobbie blushed.

“Always had a thing for Asian girls.”

Bobbie waved her hand dismissively. “Most people do, apparently.”

“I wonder what Faye’s real name is.”

Bobbie kinked an eyebrow.

“C’mon. Faye Valentine? Why do you think I learned to use chopsticks?”

“She tell you?”

Bobbie shrugged. “License says Valentine.”

Tim seemed satisfied with that answer. Bobbie leaned into him as he put his arm around her.

“You’re not gonna attack me again, are you?”

Bobbie nodded. “This is good. Just this.”

“Good.” Tim laughed “I think I’m fucked out. My back has been killing me all day. “If this is going to be a regular thing, never again on the fondant station.”

Bobbie reached down and rubbed the slightly swollen spot just above the waistband of his boxer briefs.

“Ow… ow… ooh.” Tim grunted, it was helping, but he knew that the ride home would only exacerbate the pain.

“Well.” Tim grimaced. “We should probably head back. Before my mom calls the National Guard.” The thought of Myka being present enough to do that made Bobbie realize just how many things had changed.

Bobbie insisted that he drop her off a few blocks from the house under the guise of not rattling Faye. The truth was Bobbie wanted to walk some, she wanted to collect her thoughts before confronting Faye.

Confrontation? Is that the right word?

Bobbie’s head was too cluttered a place that simply walking would soothe at the moment.  Bobbie wanted Tim to hold her forever, to be lost in that perfect feeling again. The interludes at the bakery just weren’t enough.

Bobbie cursed herself for jumping to conclusions when she had seen Roxx with him. Now she understood, it was her needs and desires that had brought her to that point, not his. And I had what alcoholics refer to as a moment of clarity…

Not only can it be you… It will be you.

Yesss, my precious.

The fear started to fall away, and a new determination began to fill her.

“Gonna do it again.” She said through gritted teeth.

This aggression will not stand, man.

 ***

Faye sat on the couch, sipping cocoa. She told Nick that she’d call when she was done. The smell of the beef stew from the crock pot mingled with the chocolate, creating a very homey environment.

“Bobbie?”

“It’s me.”  The full weight and force of Faye’s less than large voice. “Justice told me to find you.”

“We need to go back.”

“Damn, thought you would have had a Back to the Future reference in there.” Faye set down her mug. Bobbie’s face remained unchanged.

“I want to do it again. This isn’t me. I tried… I understand now, I really do. I spoke with Justice. She told me to find you. Lust is back. Please, can we just go back?”

Faye looked at Bobbie, seeing the clarity in those violet eyes.

“I know, as much as I tried to convince myself she was gone…” Faye sighed. “I spoke with Justice, too.”

“Not yet, we need to talk. Now.”

Bobbie sighed. “Okay, let’s get this over with. I’m sorry. When it all started, I just thought…” She thought she’d get through it, but everything hit her all at once. What she had done to nearly everyone in Faye’s immediate circle of friends weighed on her. She flung herself forward, hugging Faye. There were moans and Faye felt a creeping dampness on her shoulder.

Surprised, Faye genuinely hugged back. “It’s okay.” She consoled, anger and frustration taking a back seat. “You couldn’t know, couldn’t understand.”

Bobbie’s cries grew louder, alternating with muffled sobs. She tightened her grip on Faye.

“I’m sorry… so sorry.” The sobs made the cadence of her speech sound odd.

“Kim, Rach, Nick… you. Fuck.”

For the first time, Faye felt genuinely sorry for Bobbie. She hadn’t asked for this, neither of them had. The tides of Faye’s life battering the other girl until all she could do was drown.

Bobbie raised her head, looking up at Faye. Faye looked down, eyes showing concern. “I’ve had to rebuild everything before.”

“…and Tim.” The sobbing continued.

“Don’t worry about him. He’ll be fine.” Faye let go of Bobbie and stepped back “And, I…I wanted to say thanks.”

Bobbie snorted. “Thanks? For what? Ruining your life? And mine? Your sarcasm doesn’t work coming out of that mouth.”

Faye raised her voice an octave.“Well,” Faye teetered her head from side to side. “Not that. But, the money? Allegra will come to her senses, I’m too popular. But the money helps some. I wouldn’t have done those shoots.”

 Bobbie shrugged. Whatever dollar amount it was, it couldn’t buy her what she wanted and needed more than anything. For all of her feelings at that moment, it was a nice bright spot that during this whole mess she was able to help someone.

 ***

Faye stared at Bobbie, she felt sorry for her now. The sensory overload that was a part of her everyday life had proved too much for Bobbie.

Just like it’s going to be so hard to let go of her life. Jesus, these last two weeks have been a real eye opener.

She laughed. Bobbie’s circle of friends was very different. Faye never saw herself as part of a crowd like this. If you ever told me you were gonna get all lovesick teenager, I would have told you to fuck right off.

She remembered those first tough weeks as Faye, Kane’s masculinity nothing more than a memory or whisper that carried little meaning now. That ‘little swim’ you had? Never thought it would leave you here, did you?

Godammit this is hard enough.

“That wolf costume was ridiculous.” Faye said. Bobbie laughed. “And it’s gonna take some time to smooth things over with Rach.”

“Nick, well. That’s another story. I may never forgive you for that one. Still can’t imagine what you were thinking.”

“I wasn’t.” Bobbie admitted.

“I think I can fix my shit. You have other problems. Roxx, Kim.”

“Those are my problems, you shouldn’t have had to deal with them.” Bobbie said, raising her head to look Faye in the eye.

“Thanks for fixing things with my mom.” She said.

“And… Myka. “ Bobbie gave a nod of approval. “You did something good.”

“And you did everything bad…”

“Badly.”

“Shut up. I’m trying to make a point here.” Faye noticed the look in Bobbie’s eyes. Instead of the aloofness she had seen previously, there was resolve. She knows.

What she’s fighting against…

“This whole thing hasn’t been easy on either of us, and it’s gonna be harder on me. But, it’s time we get back to our own lives. I don’t think I could survive you being in there too much longer.”

Bobbie’s gaze didn’t waver. “Gotta agree there.” She forced a laugh. “Isn’t this where one of gives the ‘we’re not all that different’ speech?

“Fuck, no. We’re as different as chocolate and vanilla.” Faye barked, ending with a smile. “But, you have a great sense of humor. And I see that you’re really important to your friends.”

“Like you are to yours.” Bobbie’s gaze softened.

“I am gonna miss Tim though. You’re really lucky. If I can’t smooth things over with Rach, I just might...”

“That won’t work, I tried.”

Faye bent slightly at the waist. “He believed me, remember? I’m original flavor. Sometimes Extra Crispy just won’t do.”

Ignoring the statement, Bobbie continued. “Tim’s always gonna love you just a little. I saw it when you caught us. He cares about you, too. You helped his mom, ran the bakery during my little vacation in Fuckupland, and designed that cake.”

“And that’s another thing, where did you come up with that?”

Faye shrugged. “Seemed appropriate.”

“Saw the plans, hope I can do it.” Worry stretched across her face momentarily like cling wrap.

“It’s not just you.” Faye said, stepping forward. “It’s them, us.”

“We.” She reached under Bobbie’s arms, feeling their breasts press together. Definitely going on a diet. Faye towered over Bobbie. The shorter girl raised her head, looking up at Faye. Faye looked down, eyes showing concern. Suddenly, Faye knew what had to be done. They had both seen behind the curtain, and found the exact opposite of what they expected to find. Bobbie moved back slightly as Faye moved closer.

Faye looked into Bobbie’s eyes, she blinked three times rapidly. It looked like something was in her eye. Looking closer, there was a point of light. Tiny, illuminated like a speck of dust floating in a shaft of light. She looked closer, Bobbie’s heat radiating from her in slow waves.

CLANG!!!

The sound jolted Faye. From the looks of it Bobbie hadn’t heard. The speck grew in size, her eye wanted to twitch, but somehow wouldn’t. She reached down and grabbed Bobbie’s neck, Faye crushing her mouth against Bobbie’s

            ***     

Bobbie fought at first, but let it happen. She felt a twinge of guilt when she thought about Tim. Thoughts were scattered by hormones and a peculiar pulling feeling on the back of her neck

CLANG!!!

Bobbie heard that sound, it was still so welcome, even after all this time. She felt Faye’s hands slide up under her shirt to grasp the breasts she had cultivated over her time as Faye Valentine.

 ***

Faye felt the moan vibrate her lips as the kiss continued. An odd sensation was pulling at the back of her neck. Her eyes were forced open by the sensation, she was surprised to see Bobbie’s eyes open as well.  She moved a hand downwards, under the waist of her panties.

Bobbie gasped as Faye sent her finger’s probing.

CLANG!!

 ***

Bobbie was feeling hot and flushed. Faye’s expert touch was teasing her out of control, the lack of carnal attention by Tim left a craving that was being fulfilled at that moment. The pulling grew stronger still as the kissing grew more frenetic. Their thoughts compressed together.

CLANG!!

 ***

Faye felt squeezed, like she was trying to fit inside a very small box. The electric fire she felt coursing over her threatened to engulf her in a burning tide of extraordinary magnitude.

Tim…

She felt as if she would burst from within,  the tension threatening to release all at once as her loins quivered at the touch that was somehow both alien and not alien.

CLANG!!!

 ***

“Aaaahhh.” Faye screamed as she exploded, the pulling at such an intensity it threatened to pop her eyes out.

“Oh, fuck yeah.” Bobbie yelled as she shut her eyes tight, feeling the moisture wring out of them like a sponge.

Instantly, both girls felt the pull become a snap as they collapsed on each other. They lay there in an Escherlike pattern of tangled limbs and splayed hair.

Chapter 71

 Bobbie gasped as she regained consciousness. Moving her hands didn’t produce the usual effect of not touching herself. Blonde and blue hairs tickled her face. When she sat up, the black and green hairs that were mixed in moved strangely. Physically moving the hairs pulled at her scalp.

Bobbie looked down. Gone were the mammoth breasts she had gotten used to, replaced by the more modest curves that belonged to ‘Bobbie’. I’m back. The smile threatened to touch her ears.  She looked down at Faye, it was her hands that were buried in Bobbie’s crotch. It didn’t bother her one bit. I’ve done worse things….

Bobbie got up and ran to the bathroom. She needed to see it for herself. The large, blue eyes stared back at her. Her mouth broke into a grin. I’m me again.

Yes, you are. Now you know…

And knowing is half the battle.

…Understanding is the other half.

Not caring about her nudity, Bobbie woke Faye, the light snoring cute and hilarious. In her mind a plan formed.

In all the joy of the moment, Bobbie realized that the ratcheted up libido was gone. The siren song of the senses was muted, remixed to lower it to a safe background level. Her ability to think further than five minutes in the future restored.

Quietly, she grabbed Faye’s phone and took a quick video of the sleeping girl.

Okay, Bobbie smiled.

Let’s get dangerous.

 ***

Faye was dreaming about things that didn’t quite make sense. She was on a date with Rach and Tim, he opened the door for both of them and regarded them with equal attention. Rain suddenly began to fall, followed by a thunderclap.

“Faye.”

Her eyes blinked open to look at the blonde girl hovering above her.

“Bobbie, it’s…” Her eyes swung open and she sat up. Without wasting a second, she put her hands on her breasts.

“Mmmm.” Faye said, feeling the familiar oversaturated sensations return in full force.

“Welcome home.” She snapped her head up at Bobbie.

“Shut up.”

Bobbie’s smile disappeared. “Not saying anything. And not judging, either.”

“There’s nothing to judge. It’s nobody’s business.” Bobbie’s face wore a mask of serious unlike any Faye had seen before.

“Like Justice said. I know what I’m fighting against now.”

“I want a shower, You?”

Faye nodded.

“I’ll go first. It’s gonna be a long night.” Bobbie said, looking around.

Faye quirked an eyebrow as she pulled on a shirt.

“Look. I’ve fucked up enough shit.”

Faye’s eyes widened. “A fuck and a shit in the same sentence? Gonna sound like Bella, you keep it up.”

Bobbie turned to the bathroom. She unceremoniously flipped a middle finger up with her left hand and smiled over her shoulder turning her head to the right.

Faye stared after Bobbie. I really hope this wasn’t all for nothing.

Coffee was made and Bobbie was quick, her hair limp and still wet. Her Clash shirt hung off of one shoulder.

“Yeah,” I kind of modified the wardrobe a little. “Hey, I thought this was gonna be…”

“I like it.” Bobbie turned to her cup of elixir vitae. “I’ve got dinner, you gonna eat?”

Faye smiled. “Depends.”

Bobbie rolled her eyes. “Get in the shower.”

 ***

Bobbie checked the freezer and selected one of all the contents. The Barbacoa was pulled out and nuked free of its icy prison. Some vegetables were cut, and Bobbie heaved a huge sigh when she saw that there were still tortillas left.

There was a plate, artfully arranged, waiting for Faye when she emerged out of the shower.

“This is gonna take forever to dry. Can’t wait to get these things out.” Faye was rubbing a towel over the long extensions that were still woven into her hair.

“I’d wait.” Bobbie said, setting the Aperture Industries mug in front of her.

“Rach likes it. I’ve got a plan, I think.”

“Plan for what.”

“Faye.” Bobbie smiled. “If I learned anything, it’s that I need to be responsible for me. I will do what I can to help.”

“I’m not gonna screw up everything then just leave you to twist in the wind.”

            “I’m listening.” Faye said, rolling shut her burrito.

            “That dress is hanging up, put it on. Like I said, I think I can help. But you’re going to have to listen to me, okay?”

            “Sure, listen to you.” Faye said, swallowing the chewed chunk. “What could possibly go wrong?”

            “That’s not all.” Bobbie said, sitting down and biting into her own food. Reaching into her pocket, she slid a picture towards Faye. When she removed her hand, Faye was able to see the picture clearly.

            It was her…Bobbie…. Whatever. Sitting on Tim’s lap, sticking her tongue through the ‘v’ made by her fingers.

            “I thought you would want that one. Never forget, right?”

            Faye chewed quietly and stared at the photo. She couldn’t tell if the burning behind her nose was from emotion or capsaicin.

            Nick came in. and looked around nervously. Faye saw him cast his eyes downward quickly as he realized that Faye was sitting right there, eating.

            “Nick.” Bobbie said. “Dinner’s right there.” Faye got up  and left.

            “Is she…” Nick gulped. “Here for a while?”

            “Yeah. Everything’s fine. Eat.”

            Nick laughed weakly. “That’s your answer for everything isn’t it?”

            Faye walked into the room resplendent in the green dress, which wasn’t completely fastened.

            Looking at the dress, Bobbie said. “Need help with the…”

            Faye reached behind her back and… ZIP!

            Bobbie’s blank stare trailed towards Faye. “How? I mean…” It was the first time she had seen anyone zip up an original Heather Sweet unassisted.

            “What.” Faye said pulling on one of the gloves.

            “I’m…” Bobbie began. “I’m just going to collect the laundry.” Bobbie left the room, leaving Nick and Faye alone to eat in silence.

            Faye set down her burrito. She got up and walked around the table and threw her arms around Nick. She felt him tense up.

            “I’m sorry, Nick. I don’t know what came over me. I just don’t. I was a little drunk, but…” I know exactly what came… Bobbie.

            “I couldn’t imagine hurting my best friend in the history of always that way.”

            “And you did it anyway.” Nick held the ends of his tortilla together. “Look, I’m not gonna say I’m mad, but you’ll forgive me if I keep my distance a little. It’s just this is a ‘before this’ and ‘after this’ moment. It’s still kind of fresh.”

            Faye smiled, slowly backing away. Didn’t go as well as I hoped. “I understand. But don’t think that you’re gonna stay on top of the leaderboards for a while.”

            Nick smiled. “Not too sure about that, Princess. Bobbie and I haven’t done too badly lately.”

            Faye’s turn to smile. “I’m sure.”

            “Easy, professor.” Nick said, taking a bite. “She’s easily as good as you are.”

            Nick’s face grew confused as Faye started laughing loudly.

             ***

            Bobbie was gathering all the laundry that she had accumulated. I’ve got a plan. She felt accomplished as the rest of tonight fell into place. She would help Faye piece back together the things that she broke.

            It felt good to be doing something.

            Okay, got the clothes together. Now just need to talk Faye into going out.

            When she came back out into the living room, Faye was talking to Nick. The tension was still there, but at a much lower level than before. She saw Nick seemingly having a dark cloud over him.

            Darkness. It had been so long since she had seen it, the colored ribbons  present in the world as Faye saw it had been there screaming at her for so long, she had forgotten it. Looking closer, she could see things she didn’t remember seeing before. There were tiny spots and moving eddies within the ethereal shroud. There’s more wrong than she knows.

            “Faye, you ready?” Faye had no darkness, as if Lust had perfected some kind of supernatural stealth.

            “Yeah. Let’s get this over with.”

            The girls lugged the bags full of soiled cotton and other fabrics out to the EVO and got the vehicle out onto the road.

            “Okay, Bobbie. You wanna let me in on what it is we’re doing? And why I’m wearing this masterpiece of fabulosity?”

            “You’re going to say goodbye to Tim. You deserve that much. Still wearing the necklace?”

            Faye pulled the chain out, hooked around her thumb, the charm swinging indiscriminately.

            “Good.” Bobbie said as she pulled out her phone. Jeez, this thing is slow.

            She tapped out a message to Tim as they pulled into the Clothes Basket. Bobbie quickly went to the back seat and pulled out the two large bags full of clothing. They loaded the machines and headed back to the car.

            Bobbie gave her the quick rundown of what her plan was. She also explained the need for haste, Faye listened cautiously as she adjusted the mirror again as she recalculated for the loss of height. She felt trepidation as she listened to Bobbie talk while the car wound its way through the streets of Delacroix.

             ***

            Tim was sitting on the roof. Bobbie asked to meet him up here. He looked at the grill that still sat up there. How in the hell am I gonna get that thing down? The squeak of the door alerted him to see Bobbie standing there. He got up and briskly went to her. He caught her up in his arms.

            “Bobbie, is everything okay?” She had never asked to meet like this.

            As she sagged against him, Tim felt that completeness as somehow less complete. But, if this is Bobbie now…

             ***

            Faye was on the verge of tears. Standing here in his arms, in her own body seemed like a cheap victory. The view of the grill, still stationary after their date, threatening to burn its image in her mind forever.

            “What’s wrong, Bobbie?” Tim sounded concerned.

            Jesus, Faye. You just let this go, now you need it back?

            Okay. Last Warning, it is my brain now. Don’t care if I can’t do math, remember?

            “Nothing.” She pursed her lips and looked up into those soulful brown eyes. They kissed, Tim noticing the direction of her tongue change again.

            She backed up and looked at Tim, the one guy that had managed to get into her heart and infect it like a worm inside an apple. Faye decided that the worm belonged there, and who was she to muck about with such a fragile ecosystem? Her head swam, colors swam in her vision, Tim glowed slightly. A bright white with tiny, frail twisting rainbows that slid about like oil atop water.

            The creak of the door got Tim’s attention like setting his pants on fire.

            It was Faye. Oh, shit. Not again.

            “Tim, I have to rethink my whole life because of you. Penis does not equal asshole. So many guys think that they have to be cool or funny or… whatever.” Faye saw realization dawning on his face.

            “You and Bobbie belong together. You showed me what that looks like. Keep treating women that way and Bobbie there.” Faye twitched a thumb behind her. “Is gonna have a never ending battle to keep you.” She reached out and ruffled the short hairs at the top of his head. Gingerly kissing his cheek, she brought her hand down over his cheek. Tim felt the warmth seep through the satiny smooth gloves.

 “We’ll always have the graveyard.”

            “Here’s lookin’ at you, kid.” Faye wiggled away in the dress that stomped Godzilla sized holes in his heart. “Casablanca, right? That’s what YouTube said anyway.”

            Tim smiled at Faye. It was the first time she noticed it,

            The colors… Bobbie, you have better not have dropped acid. Worrying about flashbacks is not on my to do list.

            Faye snapped her eyes around and saw no trace of them anywhere else. To her, it was akin to the status bars in the video games she played. Their different colors splaying about like a deep space dogfight.

            Tim opened his mouth to speak. “Of all the references you got wrong. You got Casablanca?”

            “Gonna miss movies with you, Tim.” Faye slithered out of his loosening grip. “You are almost too nice, you know that.” The left corner of Faye’s mouth twitched upwards.

            “Don’t ever change.” She turned and walked towards Bobbie, removing the necklace as she did so. She dumped her cupped hand to Bobbie’s..

             ***

            Bobbie turned to watch Faye leave.

            Tim stared after her as she left. He looked at Bobbie, then at Faye, then Bobbie again. She grabbed Tim’s hand with her free one and swung it.

“It’s me, Tim.” Bobbie said, turning her attention to the confused young man. “I wanted to make sure she got to say goodbye. You got to her, you know? I mean, like, really got to her.” She flashed every facet of her champion smile at him. “Did I walk like that?”

            She gave the necklace back to him. “It’s always better when you put it on.”

            Tim was lost again.  What is going on with these two? He rehooked the necklace and allowed Bobbie to turn around.

            “I’m just so happy to be back. And yeah, definitely the Kirk Cameron one.”

            “You didn’t sway as much.” Tim said. “C’mon in, be nice to have you around tonight.” Holding her just seemed right. Especially like this, fitting like matroyshka dolls. You can explain how it happened.

            A tiny grin split her mouth. “That would be telling.” Then she sighed. “I can’t. I need to help with the laundry, I kinda let it pile up a little.”

            “Oh.” Tim said not wanting to let her go so soon after getting the right combination of body and soul back in his arms again.

            “I messed some things up for Faye, and…”

            Tim smiled. “You need to help, right? You are just gonna have to embrace this angel thing.”

            Bobbie placed her head on his chest heard the dubstep beat of his heart.

            “I love you, Bobbie Sharpe.”

            Her smile threatened to pop off her face. “Ditto.”

            “See you later.” Tim said, swinging into a kiss. Okay, that’s Bobbie. The direction of the circling tongue lending more credence to her identity than the most obscure fact about the contents of Marcellus Wallace’s suitcase, Tim felt assured that he finally had his love in his arms again, only to have her ripped away as a honk sounded in the distance.

            Bobbie broke the contact and turned to run down the stairwell. Stopping before turning to close the door.

            “Oh, and you need to make me that Steak Diane. I’m a little jealous.” Her smile seemed to stay still, Cheshire style, after she left.

            “I wouldn’t worry about that.” He said after her.

             ***

            Roxx could feel a headache coming on, and all the coke in the world didn’t seem to be helping. The two shots of vodka that came from the ‘gentlemen’ at the end of the bar did little to soothe her queasy stomach. She didn’t want to go to work today, Ashley could have easily taken her shift. But she went, because sitting around seemed pointless.

            The job was irritating. The other girls were all jealous; she currently led the tip lottery by giving the most lapdances by the end of any given night. Knowing what people wanted had its advantages, but it was like seeing the sausages made.

            It left one not wanting to ever eat sausages again.

            The monotony of her time on stage was frightfully blasé, she had taken to imagining arrows floating upwards through her vision. Dance Dance Revolution with a pole, she thought ironically. The parade of obese, generally disgusting men was interspersed with quiet, shy guys. The first group was a sort of a ‘hold your nose and shut your eyes’ kind of proposition. The quiet ones always told a story of kaleidoscopic sadness. Blues, greens, and yellows slapping around like an electrified swimming pool. She could almost feel their kindredship with Robb.

            Why are you thinking about him?

            Because he cared.

            Ever since the confrontation with Bobbie, Roxx had started to question what it was she was doing. This whole game she was playing had stopped being fun. Lust seemed busy with Kim.

            Kim. She thought back to the little girl with the pigtails she had first met.

            Now it was back to the grind of keeping herself together.

            Unless you meet another Robb.

            Shut up, I don’t need another one.

            Roxx remembered Robb showing up with a flower, leaving her little notes…

            He threw that away, not you.

            Still not listening.

            Roxx was right, she didn’t need another Robb.

            …but having another one wouldn’t hurt.

            “You chose this, Mel.” The word tasted funny on her lips, or was that the smell in the dressing room?

            Taking a final drag, she stepped on the butt with her booted heel.

            “Wish I thought this through.”

             ***

            Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding…

            Faye was done ringing the doorbell, hoping Rach wasn’t in the kiln again. When the door opened it was obvious that she had been. There were ash smudges on her face, the old clothes and the bandana tied over her hair told the rest of the story. Yellow and purple mixed into a moving bruise.

            “What? Finally finish those cupcakes?”

            Faye took in the picture of her. The cute face marred by splotches of dark grey and white. Her Zeds Dead tour shirt had seen better days. You would know, you helped her ruin it in the bedroom.

            It was too much to see her standing there, arms crossed, waifish face almost Dickensian. Faye stepped forward and threw her arms around Rach.

            “Whoa whoa whoa… what the hell? I’m so over you right now.” Rach firmly pushed back.

            Faye felt herself sink and wilt. “I know sorry won’t cut it. But I love you, Rach. I know I’ve been a bit of a bitch since Forbes. Just really haven’t been myself lately.”

            Faye pouted. “Laughing at other people isn’t fun without you.”

            “And what’s up with the dress? Another shoot?”

            “No, knew I was coming here, thought you’d like to see it.” Faye cocked her head and gave Rach a sly wink. “Should I twirl?”

            Rach smiled and laughed through her nose as Faye spun. She waited until the girl in green stopped. “You can come in, I’m almost done with the kiln.”

            Faye sighed. “No, I need to get to the Laundromat, Bobbie’s there with the clothes. I can’t leave her there.”

            “No, you can’t. Especially now that she’s part of the ‘Kane Klub’”

            Faye raised an eyebrow.

            “In all the time I’ve known you, you’ve told me, Zoe, and now Bobbie. When I asked you about it you gave me some half assed answer about giant robots. What makes her so special?”

            “What? I can’t just trust someone?”

            Rach smiled. “Well, you trusted me.”

            “Look. I need to go. Dinner? Tomorrow?”

            “Sure, but not Rucker’s.”

            “Rucker’s?” Faye smiled. “That’s cute. Wear something fabulous. I should have this clean by tomorrow.”

            Rach stepped forward, putting her arms around Faye.

            Faye shut her eyes. It felt good to be back here, in Rach’s arms. There was a feeling of their bodies together, one of yielding as their soft anatomies pressed against each other like strata of rock. It wasn’t like the way she sank into Tim, his sharp corners and hard surfaces seemed complimentary compared to her squishy curves.

            Gonna have to get used to this again.

            “You’re lucky I love you.” Rach breathed, Faye felt a little closer to home in that moment.

            Maybe it won’t take so long.

            Faye smiled for no one…

            As Rach’s eyes were still closed.

             ***

            Bobbie put yet another quarter in the dryer, hoping that it would do to remove the final bits of dampness that clung to the various items. She turned back to the folding, the television playing a country music video. Bobbie looked at the women in the video, one wore a cowboy hat. I wonder how Luka’s doing?

            The loud drum and bass sounds grew louder as headlights splayed into the big bay windows of the Laundromat. They swung to a stop as Faye got out, bags from Pam’s in one hand and a large cup in the other. She kicked the door shut, the resounding thud echoing through the deserted parking lot.

            Bobbie ran to  the door and opened it, allowing Faye inside.

            “Okay, princess.” Faye began, taking a long pull from the straw. “I got a dinner with Rach. Yours is in the bag.” Bobbie reached in past the fat steak fries and pulled out the familiar yellow paper.

            Bobbie looked inside the paper. “Ooh, double burger.”

            “Yeah,” Faye said. “Tomorrow, I go on a diet, no thanks to you. Although I have to say, Heather makes some damn fine clothing. This thing fits like a glove.”

            “I know, plenty of support in the ‘fingers’” Bobbie said, peering into the wrapper.

            “It’ll be a shame to have her take it in when I get back to normal.” Faye hefted her breasts.

            “I wouldn’t worry about it.” Bobbie took a bite of her burger. “She’s amazing. Zippers are always too long though.”

            Faye shrugged while shoving a couple of fries into her mouth. “Seemed fine to me.” Faye’s burger shed its wrapper.

            Bobbie laughed. “In movies like this, we’d probably be talking about ‘oh, we’re really the same.’”

            “But we’re not.”

            “Well, thank you Captain Obvious. Will the rest of the No Shit Squad be dining with us this evening?” Faye bit off a large chunk of burger.

            “Seriously. I get it, what we are… sort of compatible.”

            “But not really.” Faye said with her mouth full. “Look,” She continued, “You’ve got a really good thing going; the bakery, Tim, the band. But, the bad girl thing isn’t you.”

            “I know. Even when I was… him, it wasn’t me. Tried like hell to make it work. What did it get me? A bullet, gallons of blood, and a pussy.”

            Faye laughed, an unidentifiable conglomeration of chewed food sailed through the air.

            “Don’t knock it, sis.

            Bobbie held up her burger as if to deflect the accusatory tone. “If I have learned one thing in the last year…”

            “This is who I really am. Bobbie, the Advocate. Cupcake Girl.”

            “Tim’s girl.”

            That last one stung Faye just a little, having only been in his arms for the last time just hours before. It was still fresh, so fresh, that the even more recent contact with Rach hadn’t been able to completely remove the feeling of his quasi brawny arms around her, enveloping her.

            “Cupcake Girl? Sounds like a bad comic book.” Faye swing her legs back and forth as she sat on the high folding table. “Still not too sure where I stand with this. I mean, I could have never imagined what all this could be like.” Faye’s attention turned outside where some people were crossing the street. They all had a yellow cast to them.

            “Bobbie?”

            “Hmmm?”

            “I keep seeing these colors, did you maybe drop some acid or something?”

            “No, wait. You didn’t see those? Y’know… before?”

            “What?”

            Bobbie’s face dropped. Setting her burger down, she ran to the window. There they were, each covered  by a blob of shadow. Looking closer, she could see eddies of darkness alongside lighter ones. How did I miss that before? The darker stripes seemed to bear down on the lighter ones oppressively.

            They’re scared.

            “I haven’t told anyone about this. But I can see things in people. Like darkness. I sort of know what…”

            Bobbie gasped and clapped a hand over her mouth, eyes darting.

            “What? And what does this have to do with…”

            As if giant tumblers finally lined up after a geologic age, Bobbie understood.

            “Back when I met you, I kept seeing darkness around people. It’s how I met Tim, and when I help people, or they eat…”

            She laughed in amazement. “Justice, you’re a sly one.”

            “Are you going to tell me, or am I going to throw this burger at you?”

            “Okay.” Bobbie began excitedly. “I saw darkness, right? Helping people, or people eating my cupcakes helps it… I see what people Need.” She looked at Faye to make sure she was still following.

            “When I was…” She paused to search for words. “In there. It was all colors. I could kind of figure out what they meant, but…”

            Faye wound her index finger in a circular motion.

            “It was in color. Reds and blues, greens and purples, I could make them change by doing things. I figured it out at one of the shoots. You see what they Want.”

            “Great.” Faye rolled her eyes. Looking up, she raised her voice. “Thanks a lot, Lust.”

            Bobbie looked down, “There’s more. I’ve seen her.”

            Faye stopped chewing.

            “She’s still out there.”

             Faye looked visibly shaken.

            “She’s older than time, Faye. Seriously, think you were gonna banish her to the formless void of the eighth dimension?”

            “But I got rid of her.” Faye seemed dazed.

            “I don’t think that’s possible. She’s like porno Freddy.” Bobbie said. “Porno Freddy, Porno Wolverine. Damn, she likes fucking with people.”

            “Tell me about it. And this tattoo? This mark?” Faye asked, trying to point her chin at her back.

            Bobbie shrugged. “I don’t know. Seems like it makes bad choices seem like the best idea in the world. Like that one drunk friend who is convinced that he can totally make the pool from the roof.”

            “It’s a great idea, until the ambulance gets called.”

            “I don’t think she’s too concerned with you right now.”

            “Really, Einstien? What makes you say that?”

            “Because, I’ve been the target the whole time.” Bobbie turned back to look at the people in their fear encrusted darknesses. It was like a black and white version of the colors she had seen from Faye’s eyes, she had missed it before.

            But, now? It was obvious, they were a grey rainbow. Their muted needs never playing as loudly as their wants.

            “So now what do we do?” Faye asked, stuffing the last of her burger into her mouth.

            “We don’t do anything.” Bobbie said, turning back to face Faye.

            “I do.”

            Faye’s drink gurgled as she sucked down the last of the soda, leaving nothing but syrup tainted ice. “Is that cinnamon I taste in there?”

Chapter 72

Waking up the next morning, Tim still had remnants of his dream in his head. He was naked with both Bobbie and Faye; the dream had a lot of detail. He couldn’t imagine Bobbie how wound up in Faye’s body; it didn’t make any sense at all. Now that everything was all sorted out, life could get  back to normal.

Whatever the hell that is.

When he came out to start the coffee, he was surprised to see his mother still hunched over the computer.

“Heeeahs. Ptooi.” Myka turned her head and spit out the pen she had in her mouth.

“Here. I finally logged all the orders in one place.” She handed him a small stack of printed sheets. “Took me all night, coffee’s already done.” She laughed giddily from both too much caffeine, and too little sleep.

Tim started flipping throught the book. Wedding cakes, birthday cakes. The baby shower that wanted tequila lime cupcakes? Then

The Shelton? The swanky hotel in town had put in a request for several cakes, meant to be sold at the restaurant.

“Mom? Did you actually read these?” He shook some creamer into the cup.

“Saw The Shelton in there, huh? I guess their pastry guy is having surgery, and they couldn’t get anyone else in time. That’s just for one night.”

The giddiness disappeared for a second. “I have to say. I… I’m proud of you, son. I can’t even begin to think of what your father would say to all this.”

“I wanted to make his dream happen, even if he couldn’t be here to see it. I think that this is all Bobbie’s doing. She’s just…”

“I know.” Myka said. “Don’t mess it up. I don’t want to have to kick you out and move her in.”

“Mom.” Tim smirked and shook his head.

“Maybe we should have a girls night.”

“I think Bobbie would like that idea very much.”

Tim had the coffee in his cup and was thinking about how good it was to have Bobbie back.

The real Bobbie, the one he let in.

Thoughts of dubstep and cemeteries intruded for a moment. Maybe Faye got to me a little? He awkwardly wondered which Faye was the real one.

He didn’t care one iota. The coffee gently splashed its chemical romance into his central nervous system. Tim was just happy that all this nonsense was over, and that they could get back to work.

“And there’s a package coming tomorrow. Not sure what it is. Did you order anything?”

Tim looked puzzled as he swallowed the coffee in his mouth. “I dunno. It’s been so hectic with everything…”

“As long as you’re there, you need to sign for it.”

“Ok. Well, I need to jump in the shower if I have any hope of getting my amazing girlfriend to school on time.”

 ***

Bobbie was looking at herself in the mirror, sliding on the blue floral print sundress was very comfortable. She thought of all those scenes from movies…

Rambo lacing up his boots…

Ash building his hand…

Arnold Schwarzenegger sliding the magazine into his ridiculous weapon…

Sigourney Weaver: “Get away from her you bitch.”

She slid the comb through her bangs and closely eyed her face; the blue streak Faye had installed was a really good idea. She sighed lightly, wondering what the upkeep would be like.

You already see Frankie every month.   

She found the film reel barrettes and clipped her hair back over one ear. Assuring herself that she was once again ready to assume social contact and hopefully pick up where she left off.

Faye abruptly opened the door, looking for all the world like she was going to die. She was coughing and sputtering. Bobbie adroitly stepped to the right, allowing Faye to spit out something into the sink.

“Jesus, Bobbie. How many packs did you get through? Feels like you got through an entire Turkish tobacco harvest. I think my liver hurts. She ran some water into her cupped hand and slapped it into her mouth. Swishing and spitting to get that taste out of her mouth.

Bobbie looked down. “Sorry. You know, there’s only so many times I can say that.”

“Then I’m just gonna apologize in advance for all the things I’m going to say while I figure out how to get everything back to slightly fucked up.”

Bobbie went out to the living room with Faye and looked at the state of the place. She would take care of it later, when she got home.

“I’m taking the EVO today. Wanna ride?”

Bobbie thought for a second about how the comfort of those bucket seats couldn’t compare to the back half of the Vespa’s seat cushion, snuggled up against him.

“Nah.” She smiled.

Faye returned the grin. “OK, I get it. See you at school?”

“Definitely.” Bobbie said as the tinny horn sounded. She ducked out the door into the bright, warm morning.

 ***

After Bobbie left, Faye went to the bathroom again and looked at herself. Goddammit,she pushed hair out of her face. She looked at the green streak. Well, you did give her the blue one. The extensions she had written off as part of the shoot, didn’t have to keep ‘em though.

Realizing that this sudden appearance change would cause her to rethink her makeup scheme, she looked forward to the day the extensions came out.

Again, semi fucked up.

She was fixing her coffee when Nick woke up.

“Hey.” He said, the yellows and greens looked almost polka dotted.

“Hey,” Faye said back, offering Nick her cup. He took it and she started fixing herself another one.  She bit her lip as her forearm accidently brushed against one of the huge orgs that now hung in front of her, giving her a slightly forward list. “You didn’t have to get up. I’m… I’m gonna take the EVO today.”Nick looked surprised. “I figured you need time not ferrying my luscious ass around. Besides, Stacy graduated. She can’t key it.”

“Bobbie take off already?”

“Yeah, I’m probably gonna be late today. Got a lot to do, relax. I do plan to kick your ass later.”

“Never. Starting to play some other characters now. I’ve gotten pretty good with Juri.”

“Finally gave X-23 a rest?”

Nick shot Faye a knowing look, he shrugged. “Different game. Be water, my friend.”

Faye chortled. “I’m gonna go. But, I’ll be kicking your ass with Yun later.”

“Oh, you’re gonna tier whore me now? Not gonna make this easy are you?”

“Hey, I’m a mysterious woman.”

“No, you’re a funny girl.” Faye thought she heard a chuckle. She wrinkled her nose as she turned to leave. The door swung shut behind her. Nick heard the car start and the dubstep begin as Faye pulled her car onto the road.

 ***

Bobbie was holding on to Tim a little tighter today, the joy of just being Bobbie infusing every part of her being. The ride, Tim, being back where she belonged; it all went straight to her head.

Almost like being high, but in a good way.

The school seemed like a newer place today, full of promise. When Bobbie doffed the helmet, she set it on the seat and launched herself forward into Tim’s arms. He was feeling the squeeze as it constricted his midsection.

“We need to talk tonight. The order list is like… I don’t even know, and we have that cake. I mean. We have a lot to do. But not this weekend.”

Bobbie gave an uncomprehending look.

“Prom is this weekend, remember?”

Is it? Bobbie thought back and looked up to see the banner over the front double doors of the main building.

“No, I didn’t. Been a little busy with the whole…”

Tim interrupted her with a kiss. “I know. You should get moving. I’ll see you after school.”

“You sure will.” Bobbie came back with a kiss of her own. It turned into a little more of a makeout session than either one of them planned on.

“Mmph.” Tim vocalized as he withdrew his tongue. “Bye.” He said, sliding her slender arm through his loose grasp.

Bobbie confidently strode towards the building, passing through the doorway. She glanced over her shoulder to see Tim ride off.

Once inside the educational citadel, Bobbie looked around as if for the first time. People’s darknesses were everywhere. Their individual needs screaming at Bobbie as sure as the colored ribbons she had experienced as Faye had.

His parents are divorcing, her boyfriend is cheating on her, his grandmother is dying… Seeing it all in such a crowd was overwhelming. She figured that it was like eating an elephant; impossible to do all at once, but one bite at a time?

Delacroix was going to be a different place for a few weeks, now that Bobbie saw exactly what she needed to do.

 ***

Faye rolled into the parking lot late. Finding a dry cleaner that did same day service proved to be more difficult than the thought, but she knew it would be worth it. She was looking forward to seeing Rach tonight, the look on her face is going to be pic worthy. She got out of the car and made her way towards the entrance, knowing full well that today would be interesting. The colors given off by everyone, coupled with the heat from her loins that had only built higher while she was driving.

It was fourth period before interesting started to rear its ugly head, she hated her math class.

Mr. Agee was kind of a creep, smug in his own superiority. Faye was struggling to catch up, having forgotten most of the things they had done previously.  Thoughts of lunch and the salads she would be eating for the next month took over while variables and polynomials translated into food equivelants.

It made an odd kind of sense. One half head of lettuce, half of a carrot, and two tomato wedges equals one salad…

God, I’m hungry. Faye thought, keeping to this diet was going to be difficult. Thoughts of salad and chicken stayed at the forefront of her mind as the bell rang.

“Miss Valentine, can I see you for a moment, please?”

Crap. As the other students filed out, Faye made her way to his desk.

“Miss Valentine, you seem distracted today.” Mr. Agee said, looking distantly at the door as the last student left.

“Hmmm?” She replied. “Oh, just another Monday.”

Agee rose and came around his desk. His body displaying a tangle of pinks and purples, flowing into each other like a broken lava lamp. As his arms came up to capture her, Faye felt a sense of dread.

“What are you doing?” Faye was suddenly disgusted.

“You know what I want, that little stunt you pulled last week…”

Little stunt? Bobbie, you’ve gotta be fucking kidding me.

As Agee brought his whole body forward, Faye backed away. Agee tripped forward in an explosion of yellow and purple, Faye took advantage of the situation and hightailed it out of the class. Bobbie, we need to talk about this. Anything else you wanna tell me? That salad seemed more important by the minute.

 A quick text to Rach informed Faye that her girlfriend was being dutiful, skipping school to find that ‘something fabulous’ that she had asked for.

I finally get back to my spot and everything else has moved.  The encounter with Agee colored her thoughts the way the colors played out in her sight. Purple must mean horny. Pervert. The spot on her back that displayed the mark burned, displeased.

 ***

Bobbie was sitting next to Beth, Kim seemed to be missing. No one had seen her today, not even Heather. Going to have to figure that out later. Off to the side, she saw Faye, picking her way around her salad. She seemed disconnected, out of it.

“Beth, let me up real quick?”

“Sure.” Beth moved herself away from the table for a moment as Bobbie went to speak to the salad eater.

“Faye?”

Faye looked up at Bobbie.

“Agee?”

“I… he wouldn’t stop picking on me, and I thought.” What she had done finally came home to roost as it set in.

“That you’d screw him? I feel like I need to take like a thousand showers.”

“Where’s Rach?”

“Off getting something for our date tonight.”

“Why don’t you come have lunch with us?” Bobbie smiled, hand on Faye’s forearm.

She looked over at the table she once occupied, that same glow was present.

Happy? This is weird.                                                                                               

“Are you kidding? Heather’s over there. Easy for you, she doesn’t know…”

“Yeah.” Bobbie agreed. “It is a little weird, as long as no one brings it up, who’s gonna say anything?”

“Like Kim said, better to rip that band aid off now.”

Faye grinned slyly. “Have to agree, though. She is cute. The pinup thing is cool, but that just seems more like her. And maybe a bit like me? Maybe I’ll keep it going.”

Bobbie would have been shocked, if she didn’t understand what life was like in the body of a Thrall.

"Aren't you mad?" Bobbie asked tentatively. "I mean...this is what Lust wants you to do. I wasn't strong enough to fight it, but...I figured you might be."

Faye rolled her eyes. "What, and just wind up as a nun in a South Pacific convent? Pass."

"Not exactly..." Bobbie looked away, still painfully aware that Faye was left with cleaning up her mess. "I just meant that if you go along with your...uhm...urges...you're just feeding Lust energy. Making her stronger."

Faye was unmoved. "So what? I've already dealt with her best shot and I'm still standing. Really, what’s she gonna do? Kill me? Turn me back into a guy? God, that would suck."

She sighed, the green quivering all the way to the tips. “Alright.” Faye gathered the plastic bowl that had the salad inside it and followed Bobbie to the table of assembled friends.

            “Guys, you know Faye.”

            Faye looked at each them in turn. Remember, you and Heather…

            Faye had to admit, Heather’s new look was preferable to her old one.

            “And Heather, that dress? Not the kind of thing I usually wear out. But, it definitely fits in all the right places.”

            “Thanks.” Heather said quietly.

            Bobbie watched Heather sink into the gloom, while Faye saw the yellow swirl brightly.

            “Hi, Beth.” Faye said cheerfully.

            “Hi, Faye.” Beth’s smiling face turned to the dark haired girl.

            Beth scooted over on the bench to let Faye sit.

            “So, how’s the secret project coming?” Faye whispered to Beth.

            “Oh, just fine. Did Bobbie tell you?” Beth crunched a chip.

            “Something like that.” Faye smiled.

            “The fuckin’ green streak is fuckin’ sick.” Bella intoned, devil horns up.

            “I dunno.” Faye said, tugging at the emerald streak. Heather looking her right into her stony violet eyes. “Thinking it might be time to go back to the fuckin’ pink, maybe a little fuckin’ purple.”

            Heather snapped her head up. “Really?” The yellow awash with blue.

            “Yeah, this green… Just a phase. It was fun for a while, but…”

            Heather suddenly looked crushed. “But I like the green…” the sentence ended in a whisper.

            “Setting down the forkful of salad, she put out her hand and rested it on top of Heather’s.”

            “You keep making those dresses, you’ll get all the green you ever wanted.” Grabbing the ends of her hair extensions, studying the piney tips. “Trust me, that thing fits like nothing I’ve ever worn before.”

            “And I’m a model.”

            “Besides. Looks like you’ve got your hands full already.”

            “Wait.” Amber said. “Are we still talking about hair?”

            Beth, oblivious started laughing. Which spread to Bella. Bobbie gave a nervous titter, while Faye and Heather slowly slid apart.

            Snapping back to the moment, the yellow fading. Heather looked around. “Oh, she has this dress. I made it. The green goes with the dress.” The yellow flared before fading slightly.

            The first bell ended the conversation with Bella, Amber, and Beth scooting out after Faye rose.

            “So, we’ll see ya later.”

            “Yeah,” Heather said, distracted. Bobbie took the clue and got up to leave, casting a nervous glance over her shoulder. She looked  back a couple of time, overemphasizing a laugh.”

            What the hell is she doing?

             ***

            “So, you like the dress, huh?” Heather said hopefully, she was conflicted. Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere.

            Faye laughed quietly. “Look, I know what you’re thinking, and I’m flattered an all, really." She said, thinking of the green, sparkling dress that was engineered precisely to emulate Jessica Rabbit. With an obviousness that could be seen by surveillance satellites everywhere. "…but you didn't have to do all that. I have a closet full of clothes at home."

"But not a Heather Sweet. There isn't another one of these in the whole world."

Faye sighed patiently; all too aware that trying to dissuade Heather was like trying to catch water in a colander. "I know, but...most of my stuff fits normally, I swear. My boobs are just this big because I ate too many of Bobbie's cupcakes. It's the first place I put on weight...really. Just gimme a couple of weeks and I'll get my bras to fit again."

"Hold up. You mean that where I put on weight if I even look at a chocolate shake, you're telling me that the worst that happens to you from eating a box of Bobbie's cupcakes is you just get more sexy?"

Faye shrugged. “What can I say? I’m a freak.”

Heather giggled. “Well, duh.” The second bell rang and the hallway emptied of students, leaving them alone, the last survivors in the deafening silence left by the wake of the bell.

Faye was wondering what she was going to have to do. Reaching up and touching her cheek and darting her eyes left and right. Rach doesn’t need to see this.

“You know it was just a fling, right? I mean, I’m happy that you found yourself and everything. But, this can’t continue.” Faye watched Heather’s mouth dry out. The swirls of blue increased.

             “You were definitely all that and a bag of chips, kid. Be fun to keep you around, but there’s no way Rach would agree.”

            “Kid? I’m older than you.” Heather looked at Faye, more vexed now than ever. All that and a bag of chips?

            “Shut up.” Faye said, returning to the kiss.

Faye bent in to kiss her, hoping that Rach wouldn’t see this.

Goddamit, why am I so turned on?

            Because you’re a thrall now, dummy. Now shut up and kiss her… Faye could feel the mark burn with fever.

            “You okay, Faye? You’re sweating.”

            “I’m fine.” C’mon, you know you want more. “Lots of stuff going on. Got a Playboy party tomorrow. Mmmm, lots of girlflesh.” Faye felt tingles at the thought.

            “Playboy?” Heather asked, now really confused.

            “Yeah.” Faye said nonchalantly. “I’m Miss July, I’m gonna be so busy. Parties, hangin’ with the bunnies. And who knows where that’ll lead. Hope Rach isn’t too jealous.”

            “I know it was one of the best days of your life. Being with me always is.”

            “But for me it was Thursday.”

            Heather looked flummoxed. Her yellow acquired a bluish hue, rather than the swirls. Her face fell with consternation, thoughts were out of balance, this was all happening at the wrong time. She couldn’t hurt Kim. Heather loved her first. Heather’s infatuation with Faye was just that, an infatuation. She couldn’t be yours.

             She couldn’t really ever be anybody’s . She could only imagine what kind of handful Faye must be for Rach.

             ***

            Faye wanted her, with a longing she hadn’t felt in a long time. Not gonna do it, you can shut the hell up right now. She liked Heather; they got along well as long as she wore Bobbie’s body. But now, Faye sensed that they could still talk, be friends.   Faye stared at Heather’s apple shaped behind as she walked away. Damn, what an ass. She hoped that they could be friends in the future.

            SMACK! Faye walked into the bathroom and grabbed a paper towel to dab at her face…

            There was a smell, clinging, yet familiar. Cigarettes.

            Faye looked up to see Kim standing there, Newport Light in her hand.

            “Hey, Bobbie…”

            Fuck, Faye thought. Out of the frying pan…

 

up
58 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Be very interesting to now

gpoetx's picture

Be very interesting to now see where it all goes from here.