Joey's Joy -- Part 8

Printer-friendly version

Joey learns some unexpected life-lessons and finds out some unexpected things about himself along the way. In this part, Joy finds out how Dad will react to the news….

St. Paul’s

At the news that my Dad has survived, M.S. calls all of my friends to the chapel and we all say a prayer in thanks of his safe return. Of course, everyone is overjoyed at the news and there is an impromptu party afterwards that lasts well into the night.

Mom had promised that she would ‘call with more news tomorrow’, and if possible let me talk to Dad. As that time gets closer, I start to get really nervous about how Dad will react to the news of me becoming Joy for the term. There is no doubt that he will not be happy about it—on top of me being in college… But, I like college—and Joy is part of that package, for now—so, he is just going to have to deal with it…

I sigh, still unsure what to do, and decide to get ready and go over to M.S.’s office a few minutes early to get her advice. I go to my closet and just stare at the clothes, tryinig to decide what to wear. I had basically been wearing dresses since my last shopping trip with Aunt Jen and decide to just wear a pair of jeans and top today. I grab a pair that has bejeweled back pockets and pink lacy embellishments and giggle at the thought of even considering wearing them. Did I just GIGGLE? I giggle again at the thought. I find a pink, scoop-necked top that will go well with the jeans and a pair of matching pink socks. I take off my fuzzy robe and pull on the top and pick up the jeans. I remember that when I bought them they were comfortable, since the fabric was so soft and stretchy, but had seemed a little wide in the hips; not now. When I try to pull them up, I have to struggle to get them up my thighs and over my hips. I am perplexed. I can’t have gained that much weight… What is even stranger is that, once I have them up, they button and zip just fine—the waist is perfect. I look at myself in the mirror and see that I am filling the jeans out like they are intended to be. My hips and thighs seem to have widened—and my rear is clearly ‘bubbled out’ in the stretchy denim. I am getting a girl’s figure! This probably explains why my bra is getting tight…and the itching and soreness in my breasts…

“I told you it was safe, Joy—not that nothing would happen”, explains M.S. She sighs and says, “The dosage is low; low enough that we did not expect body changes this quickly, but with your family history—late-onset puberty from your Dad’s side that makes up for itself with a vengeance when it does set in, but early-onset from your Mom’s; it seems your body was just waiting for any hormones to react to. But, don’t worry, Dear. This too can be healed. Trust me, I will ensure your body is the way you want it after this project is over.”

I start to complain, but at that moment the phone rings. M.S. answers and hands me the phone. I hear Mom say, “Joy? Your Dad would like to say hello!” I hear some rustling and my Dad’s voice say, “Joey? Son, I didn’t think I would ever see you again—I didn’t think I would ever see any of you…” His voice trails off and I say, “It is so good to hear voice, Daddy. We were all praying for you and I am so happy you are safe…” I hear shock in his voice as he says, “So, it really is true…you really do sound like a girl… I don’t understand all of this. We will talk about it more when your mother and I come there; we will come as soon as we can. I have to go for now…the doctor is calling for me.”

I slowly hang up the receiver and sigh. M.S. looks at me with an inquisitive look. I sigh again and say, “Dad seems to be fine…I just don’t know how he is reacting to…well, Joy… He said they will be here soon… I am looking forward to seeing them…both. I thought I would never see my Dad again, but…now I am afraid he will take me away from here… I have come to like college…and…I want to finish…”

The next several days are a mix of joy and trepidation. Mom and Dad are now coming in three days and I still don’t know what will happen. I have not been able to talk to either of them much, but they are now finally back home and Dad has been pronounced fine. The company gave him a couple of weeks off to recuperate and he sounds strong enough—but, somehow…different.

I stand in front of the steamy mirror. I am gently patting myself dry from my shower—my skin has grown soft and sensitive. I am extra gentle around my breasts. They are really sore and have grown into small mounds. My nipples are even sorer and are swollen—about the size of small pencil erasers. I finish drying off and put on my panties and my bra. I no longer need the silicone inserts with the bras I have; they are nearly too small even without them. I slip into a cool sundress and some matching heels. I quickly do my makeup and style my hair. I put on my jewelry and check myself in the mirror: Nothing but a cute girl stares back at me. I shrug and sigh…then start downstairs—Mom and Dad are supposed to be here any minute.

Their SUV pulls up the main drive—Dad driving, as usual. I watch as he parks and they get out. Dad opens the door for Mom, as always, and they walk up to the main building, holding hands. I am standing at the bottom of the steps to the main entrance. Neither one of them recognize me. I go over and give Dad a hug…a handshake does not seem appropriate in this dress and four-inch heels. He nearly chokes when he figures out it is me. While he is spluttering, I hug Mom and say, “I am SO glad to see you, Dad! The Mother Superior would like for us all to come to her office, if that is OK with you.” Dad looks at me again and says, “Well, you seem to have adapted to this role very well, Jo…y. Are you OK? I mean this looks somehow really…permanent…” I smile and give him a kiss on the cheek and say, “For this term, it is permanent…but M.S. says that she can make me normal when this is all over. I never thought I would say this, but it is worth it to be here. College is amazing…I am not bored in class anymore. And now that you have been found, I can fully concentrate on my studies!”

After our meeting with M.S., where to my surprise Dad is all for me staying in college and doesn’t make a fuss at all about my ‘project’, we go over to my room so that they can see it. True to form, soon after we get there, the door just pops open and Emily comes in. I introduce her and just as I get done, the door opens again and a pale Shauna comes in. She looks at my parents and I am not sure what she will say. She takes a deep breath and asks somewhat timidly, “So, you are my Aunt Lily? May I give you a hug?” Mom sobs and pulls her into a big hug. Shauna then looks at my Dad and I am afraid that she will say something bad, but she just says, “That makes you my Uncle Rob, then. I am so glad that you are OK…for Joy’s sake.” To my surprise, she goes over and gives him a hug, too. Then she says, “My parents would like all of us to come home to their house. I know it will be hard, but Joy and I don’t have any more classes this week and we have the weekend free…?” She leaves it open-ended. I did not know she was going to ask, but I am as anxious as she is to hear their answer.

After quickly packing our bags, Shauna and I put them into the back of the SUV and climb into the back seat. To both of our surprises, my parents were actually OK with the idea. Don’t get me wrong, they are both really nervous about the prospect of coming together with our family again after all of these years…and the bad blood that has boiled since then. They both took one look at me…and Shauna; how we are getting along so well, like sisters really, and could not say no. So, we are on our way. As soon as there is cell phone reception, Shauna calls Aunt Jen and lets her know we will be there for supper.

On the two-hour drive over, Dad tells us the story of how their small plane had to make an emergency landing after being forced to fly low because of the weather; lightning had struck one of the engines. It had forced them way off course and they eventually ran out of fuel and had to crash land. The pilot had found a clearing large enough to set down, but not large enough to come to a complete stop, so the plane had pushed into the forest and did not leave a typical crash trail that could be seen from the air in the bad weather—it was perfectly camouflaged, however unintentional. The all-female crew and the six passengers, four women and two men (including my Dad) had finally decided to hike out after waiting two days. The radio was dead, the weather was terrible, and food was running low. It took them ten days, but they finally got back to civilization—a small town about seventy miles from where they had crashed. My Dad tells us that if it had not been for the women on the crew, who had taken charge in spite of the men, and their quick thinking on some things that none of them would be alive today. He looks at me in the rear-view mirror and says, “It has changed my outlook on a lot of things. If going to college makes you happy, then that is what you need to do. If you have to pretend to be a girl to do that, and you are OK with that, then I am the last person to stop you. It will take me a while to get used to two daughters, though.” Shauna and I giggle, and I say, “And about the time you get used to it, the project will be over…”

Dad pulls into the drive and Shauna hops out to run inside and greet her parents. I know she did it to give us some time to mentally prepare for this. I put my hands on each of my parents’ shoulders from behind and say, “It will be OK. If I can do this,” looking at myself, “then you can get through this—I have faith in you.” Mom reaches up and pats my hand before she dries some tears from her eyes…and we get out.

I stand back with Shauna, holding my breath, as my Mom and Dad go up to Aunt Jen and Uncle Jeff. There is no screaming; no shouting; no blaming… Mom hugs Aunt Jen…and Dad shakes Uncle Jeff’s hand. My heart starts pounding when my grandparents come down the stairs; I have no idea whether they will make a scene. Grandma just cries and they both hug a weeping Mom.

Having gone through this a few weeks before, with my arrival, the ice is broken more quickly; but there is still a lot of emotional baggage to work through. Slowly, ever so slowly, we start catching up as a family.

up
198 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks!

I know it started kind of rough, but it will all come out tomorrow! :)

HUGS!

No tears here

Podracer's picture

uh, much, but the sun is out - on the page, I mean. Can you have happy endings in the middle?

"Reach for the sun."

the more...

...happy endings, the better, right? Putting them in the middle works for me! ;)

HUGS!

Hummm, it seems that Rob has

Hummm, it seems that Rob has discovered via the accident that women can do a man's job and do it well. He seems to be trying to wrap his head around that and also what his son/'daughter' is doing at college. Hopefully it will help to work things out within the two family units.

Yes...

I believe in second chances for everyone. Sometimes they just need the right push! :)

HUGS!