Julina of Blackstone - 036 - Discoveries, Eye-openers And Tantrums

Printer-friendly version

A highly emotional day leaves the girls all a-quiver

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

036 - Discoveries, eye-openers and tantrums.


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
036 – Discoveries, eye-openers and tantrums.

As we enjoyed our evening meal, we discussed what had happened during the day. Suril was interested in our report and we in his, for 'twas he who started, being in the minority if you like.

“... and Master Jalmond said that the man we knew as Trogan was known here as Hasadee, and that Brakkis, …”

I saw Epp shudder at the name.

“... his second-in-command if you like, was known as Gari and there was a third only known as Boweye. Something like that anyway, I remember the names as they said them all swept together – Hasadeegariboweye – it matters little to us - but it seems Master Jalmond has managed to recover a small portion of the goods that were stolen from Blackstone, and he has a few, far TOO few, crowns-worth of coin, some objects and three frayen that can be returned. I suggested that we could transport them when we leave in three mornings time. He did suggest that maybe soon he might have a little more.”

We were all actually cheered by the news that some of the stolen goods had been recovered, with the possibility of even more, however little. And we were actually feeling quite proud that it would be us delivering the recovered items back to Blackstone.

Parry surprised us by stating loudly and positively, after all he was usually very quiet in the background, that: “'Twould be best if the frayen were delivered to us as soon as can. They will have time to learn a little of the mollifying effects of Dralla and Trumpa and Nelke. Less chance of problems on t' way back.”

“A sensible suggestion, young man. I shall try to arrange it tomorrow.”

“Have you any other appointments tomorrow, Suril? I have a couple of bells work to do with Mistress Nayet in the morning but I was hoping that maybe we might have a family outing on one of the only two remaining afternoons we have? Haris and I would love to be with his father for a little while.”

“Ah, my love, perchance 'twould be better for the following afternoon. I have expectations of a few more meetings on the morrow. One of which is actually for very early in the morning. Talking of which, Mistress Megrozen, Master Jalmond sends his regards and thanks you for the loan of this.”

So saying, Suril pushed a folded piece of paper across towards her. She nodded as a further shadow crossed her face, then shook her head. Without further explanation, she indicated that Suril should hand it to me. He raised an eyebrow at that but did indeed hand it to me, as I was sitting next to him. I knew from all this exactly what the paper was, and a shadow must have crossed my face too as Molly and Mousa frowned at me, and Haka looked on sympathetically.

Epp mouthed at me: “Keep it. I do not wish to retain it.” I nodded an acceptance, and slipped it into my pouch, keeping my eyes down so as not to open a general discussion. I could feel my girlfriends all questioning what it was, and I nowadays included Kords in that group without any thought. I wanted their trip to Tranidor to be a memorable one for the right reasons, not to be tainted by GB's decision as stated in this note that I had just received.

“I can tell you all that Count Trosanar – yes, I am well aware of his nick-name thank you young Termerik, you may stop snickering now – shall be returning to his castle tomorrow evening, a semaphore message was sent to that effect this afternoon. Apparently the party has reached Holville where they will overnight tonight, and there is some business that needs clarifying there by the Count for the new Baron Holville, Lord Halkor. It would appear that the Count has indeed been changed by his meeting Milady. For 'twas the Count who offered his services to help Lord Halkor.”

Termerik snorted: “Probably means he is trying to take over Holville as well. I don't believe he would change THAT much!”

“It would appear that he has, judging by some of the other semaphore messages we have had. I deem you should await developments and proof, were I you! … And my final report of my activities of today is to you all. I made enquiries of Master Jalmond about this Goodman Berdon and his wife Bettayla.”

He paused in a very tantalising way as we all once again directed our attentions to him.

“Apparently, there are always rumours circulating about troupes of entertainers, but the members of this troupe have run afoul of the Watch on far fewer occasions than those of some of the other troupes. And nothing, other than a Public Intoxication charge, has ever stuck on them. So, says Master Jalmond, they would be a good suggestion. I therefore deem that they should receive our watchful endorsement.”

There was a general release of tension all round the table, a tension hitherto unsuspected, and already I could sense some burgeoning interest in future playacts and other entertainments.

We then related our experiences of the day, and I could see Suril file away in his head the name 'Bormio' to enquire about on the morrow.

“That's not a very sensible thing,” frowned Suril when I described going to the Semaphore Station and being openly questioned by the operator. “I shall accompany you in the morning when you go back to see if there was a reply, I deem. But you should not know me. I need to find out for myself. If what I suspect is true, then we have a problem.”

“But Suril, they have this address and will send an urchin with the reply when it comes.”

“Ah but you might 'just happen' to be in the neighbourhood of the station, having left here before any urchin turned up. And, with respect - and you must know it is the very greatest of respect, dear Julina, for I should never forget your help to me and my family - you could be 'just a girl from upcountry' and not really understand how it works. I suspect that we already need to to make some changes in the semaphore world. Your incident is not an isolated one, it seems to me.”

I actually felt a little frisson of excitement that I would be helping the Watch with an enquiry and that I would be doing a sort of playacting, so I agreed to that plan. However, I did have to add: “But I confess I don't see any real problem there. Mayhap you could explain.”

“I think I shall refrain just at the present, Julina. I shall explain all once I have some information.”

We had to settle for that, despite many of us trying to prise more from him, and then discussions passed onto our identification of Brathan, which news made Suril sit up straighter. It was difficult for Haka to prevent him rushing out then and there to report to Master Jalmond.

We then gave our impressions of the 'Nest of Skwod', and other characters and places we had met and seen. It was just after we had finished eating that the chats turned to the Glassmaker we had visited.

I then received much teasing, which involved much blushing, as the others described how flirty and how struck I had been with Bormio. Even while they were holding ear danglers up to their lobes and asking whoever happened to be their partner at that moment for an opinion, they were still watching me. Honestly, it was like being attacked by a flock of playful feltris, if any such thing exists.

“And, Suril, you should have seen her final weapon – it was masterly – or mistressly, I suppose. When she refused to talk about something dear to his heart! He was SO proud of having absolutely EVERYTHING to do with glass in his store. When we all giggled at that, he knew immediately that we knew about something or somethings that he did NOT have. We do not discuss hand-held mirrors without Julina's permission, although I was tempted to remark upon the fact that he had no glass mirror at all there, so we all looked at her. And she just said she would not discuss it! If there was anything at all she could have done to greater inflame his interest, I cannot conceive of it. She can wrap him round her little finger now.”

I wanted the entire floor to open up, I just wanted to disappear, I wanted to be back in the privacy of my own room up in dear Blackstone ... as the others all chipped in with their comments and observations. At least THEY had fun, and I obviously needed to practice my Glare some more, for they didn't all shrivel up in the chairs. Why, even Haris was laughing!

Just then, Max bustled in and went directly to Epp with a verbal message, so mercifully my embarrassment was put to rest – for a while! I knew full well these girls would never let it finally rest until we were back home, if even then!

“Mistress Megrozen, there is a gentleman caller for you, name of Magser. He says he has an appointment?”

“Maker! What is the time? I am expecting one at the 3rd Bell and one at the 4th. I'm sorry girls, I forgot to tell you. You particularly Julina.”

“It lacks but a quarter bell to the 3rd, Mistress. The gentleman in question is seated in the other room and is being served with a refreshment.”

“Aha! So he is early, huh? Either very keen, or desperate for the job. Now Julina and I will certainly need to talk with him and we should at least agree on an outline strategy. I sent notes out earlier to the list of names that Berdon gave us as possible teachers up in Blackstone. There are two scheduled for this evening, two for tomorrow noon and a bell later and two for these times tomorrow evening. The others have failed to reply. Julina, my dear, now your complexion is returning to its more normal hue, do you have any suggestions?”

This remark, of course, made the colour flood once more, but my voice was steady as I replied; steady certainly, but my words came slowly. This is because an idea had crept into my head.

“Well … I think … that maybe … if they're willing … EVERYONE here should … be present … all firing questions, yes, that's it, all firing questions at the same time. That way we will find out if he can cope with a whole bunch of pupils!” I finished with a rush.

“What a good idea! Are you all prepared to do that? Good!”

“Hold though! We need some signal, or some phrase that dear Epp can utilise to stop the noisy interchange. Otherwise we shall achieve nothing. A start signal and a finish signal, I deem.”

Quick discussions amongst us came to an agreement, and thus the final quarter of a bell passed swiftly. The maids and dear old Mistress Bratet came in and cleared things away as we debated our strategy. They set a clear space and an extra chair at the table for this Magser to be seated. There were some key questions that would have to be asked, and these were left mostly to Epp, but one was left to me. A fresh set of Pel pots were fetched and then he was shown in.

… … …

The strategy appeared to work well, certainly for the first one. For the second, I felt it turned a little stilted as everyone tried to repeat what had gone before, rather than just pick up points as they were made. But the second man was never going to get the job anyway, not once he killed his chances with the remark: “But why do girls and women need to be educated?”

Magser, however, had dealt with the cacophony with dignity and forbearance. Epp had started with the simple questions like would you be prepared to move to a remote town, and how old are you, and his qualifications, and his time scale of existing commitments and so on. Then, apparently in the middle, but actually on signal, I asked my prepared question.

“And what think you of these new Garian numbers, Master Magser?”

He was taken aback at first, presumably by a question coming from someone else other than Epp, maybe my apparent age was also a factor, but he swiftly covered his surprise and he actually came alive a little as his enthusiasm took over.

“Oh they are marvellous and make calculations so much simpler. I cannot conceive why it has taken quite so long for this system to appear. My feeling, if I may be slightly fanciful for a heartbeat or two, is that these lands of the Great Valley, maybe even of Alaesia, have been shambling along, nothing much happening for generations, and then there's this … this … this lightness in the atmosphere somehow, and there is increased activity and fresh ideas and so on. It's like awakening from a dream and being energised to get something achieved this day! I mean look at the advances recently, there's paper and forks, and flat clear glass that is so much thinner than most glass. Even frayen are being saddled differently.

“But that is not really the point of your question, so perchance I might answer in a more sober style that is appropriate to the occasion. These Garian numbers are sensible, easy to use once the principle is grasped and will, I am sure, be a great boon to the many advancements that are sure to come. I believe they are fundamental to the future of our lands.”

It was then that the ravening pack of feltris/girls was unleashed upon the poor man, and he was taken aback at first, but quickly rallied. He heard every question, and even amidst the din, he suddenly cast a very shrewd glance at Epp and then at me. I realised at that moment that he understood what we were doing. He actually grinned.

… … …

The following morning was miserable – overcast, with clouds so low that sometimes they swept across the town itself. Suril had scampered off early, arranging to meet Kords and I at the Nest in a bell and a half. That gave time for the two of us to escort Haka across to Nayet's and then get to the Nest for a warming cup of Pel.

The others were doing whatever they wanted to get up to and we would all meet back at Epp's for the fourth Bell, which would be just a few moments after the Noon Bell today. We would eat a luncheon and interview the two other prospective teachers, then do whatever for the afternoon.

When Kords and I were seated in the Nest, we watched the world outside through an opened window. It may have been wet, although there were signs of it easing off, but the little serving room in the Nest was quite steamy, and a through draught was required.

I watched as a fair number of people struggled up the hill from the Market Place towards Junction Square and maybe even the Castle, laden with carry bags and the like. Another wagon passed, again with some urchins trying to catch a free ride and …

My idea shot out into my thinking brain. Just the basics, you will understand, but the details, as I had been learning recently, could always be worked out later. Essentially, the idea was to have some form of transport for people to get up the hill from here to the Castle. Just like the shuttle to Blackstone, but limited to within town. People could then pay for a ticket (details to follow, I sternly told myself) and ease the burden of their day by being carted up or down the hill. Their carry burdens could be taken, alright there would have to be limits in size or weight – details, details, I told myself yet again– but that would make life a lot easier for many within town.

Kords and I ended up deciding that there should be a loop of shuttles, for want of a better word, operating on two routes. Between the Castle and the Market Place, and between the two Semaphore Stations, which were situated on the outsides of the two bridges, East and West – or Bray and Palar, if you prefer. Passengers from, say, the Market Place could hop off one wagon at Junction Square and hop on another to get to the bridges. There could be various set stopping points on the routes, thus people would only have to walk to the nearest one of those.

We continued to refine the idea, and added some detail as we walked with Suril up and across the maze of streets to the East bridge, which we crossed and went to the familiar, to me, Semaphore Station. Suril asked that he be allowed to go in first and then we were to enter some half a moment later. He shook himself once he was under the eaves, then he opened the door and went in. I could see that Goodman Salien was again on duty and that there were a hand or so of customers in the place. Then the door closed and Kords and I started counting.

Except something distracted us; an urchin slipped on the wet cobblestones and disappeared under the wheels of a wagon. We gasped and dashed forward, but he emerged, wet and muddy from behind the wagon, laughing his head off, and shouting out whatever advertisement he was being paid to shout out. As a result, it was probably nearer a full moment before we repeated Suril's moves and opened the door.

I caught sight of his face and was taken aback by the anger I saw there. At first I thought it was because we were late making our entrance, but then I suddenly understood his concerns as I heard the charming Goodman Salien talking to another customer: “...Blackstone and apparently she couldn't stand Tranidor so she jumped in the river and drowned herself. Still, such a large woman would probably not be missed eh? Can't imagine her having too many friends. Tsk. Tsk. It takes all sorts, doesn't it? So you want to send to Haligo for a barge operator to come up here for 'discussions' eh? …”

I was brought back to my whereabouts by Kords' sharp nails digging in my forearm. She was hissing at me, and suddenly she and Suril were dragging me out of the Semaphore Office and I was outside and I was struggling to go back in and dig Salien's eyes out with my nails, slowly, one by one, before removing his …

“Deep breaths. Come on now, 'Lina, you're scaring me. Deep breaths, please. Come back to us, 'Lina. Come back. That's better. Think of the Tai Chi. Come on. Centralise. Deep breaths. There, that's better, a bit. Breathe! Calm! Tai Chi! Control!”

By and by, my heart rate settled down and I was once more a rational being. A shuddering, angry, determined, calculating, revengeful and eerily calm being; but, nevertheless, a rational being.

… … …

“So would you say you are indispensable, actually? That without you, this semaphore station would have to close down? You seem so very important and you know everything. What happens if you are ill or have an accident on the way to work? What happens then?” My face ached as I forced myself to smile at him.

“Oh there are safety measures in place. It would not be good to rely upon just one person in such an important hub. And this is one of the most important hubs in all Palarand, I can tell you.”

“That’s good to know. How does that work then? Suppose you were to go outside and slip under a wagon or something – or, …” and here I laughed out loud, and doing it was easy, “some angry customer injures you, or you …” again a laugh, “… are taken by a passing ptuvil, and you are as a result unable to work. How does your replacement arrive? How does he, I assume it’s a he? How does he get notified that he is required at work?”

“Of course it’s a he! You can’t leave this work to a woman!”

My smile became a little more forced but I kept it in place as my nails dug into my palms, but below the counter so he could not see. I simply waited which proved to be sufficient encouragement for him to reply 'fully'.

“Ah well, Mistress Julina, some things about our work have to remain confidential.”

Hah, got you!

“Oh really? Do you have to swear to be confidential or sign something? That seems awfully impressively important.”

“Both, Mistress. We have to do both.”

“So how does your replacement know he is required? Surely that’s not a secret? Are you good at keeping secrets?”

“Oh yes, Mistress, we all keep secrets here. And the summoning is not a secret as far as I know. You see that little wire there? The one that leads up to the operators hut above? One of us down here pulls that which rings a bell up in the hut above, and one of them what works above drops down to see what the problem is. In the case that I couldn’t work, then an urchin would be sent to the name on that roster over there on the wall, and the operator who is on break above would have come down and taken over until the replacement reaches us.”

“You mean this wire here?” asked Suril, walking round the end of the desk and reaching the wire.

“Yes, but you are not allowed behind the desk sir, and I must ask you to leave immediately, else you will be arrested by the Watch, and escorted from the premises.”

Suril pulled the wire a few times and then just lazily said: “Oh I shall be leaving in a few moments, of that you may be sure – but I shall not be arrested by the Watch.”

“Oh but you shall!” he cried in a higher-pitched voice as he drew himself up and attempted to put on an authoritative air. “I have summoned them with another bell and they will arrest you and charge you with treason for interfering with the Semaphore.” He was beginning to get flustered, and looked relieved when the door burst open and in came two Watchmen.

“Watchmen, you must take that man there. He has interfered with the Semaphore System.” He pointed at Suril as he worked himself up into proper indignation.

“On the contrary Goodman Salien.” replied Suril with a lazy grin, which I was beginning to recognise as being when he was at his most dangerous. “It is you who are being arrested. Ah! Welcome young man.”

He switched his attention to a man who had obviously clambered down from the constant clicky-clacky noise of above. “I apologise for disturbing your moments of rest. I regret to tell you that your office clerk has been arrested and you shall have to summon the next on the roster. Goodman Salien will be helping us with our enquiries down at the Watch House. You should maybe help this young Mistress here, a Mistress Julina. I believe she is looking for any reply to RYTO 160038.” He swung round to the two Watchmen as he continued: “Meanwhile officers, you will make sure this specimen gets to the Watch House in reasonable condition won’t you? Master Jalmond is awaiting him.”

“As you say, Master Suril.”

“Wait a moment, there must be some mistake here, surely? What have I done to be arrested? I didn’t know you were a Watchman. I have never seen you before. I quite rightly warned off a stranger who was trespassing and called for HIS arrest, not my own. I have done nothing wrong.”

“In that case, Goodman, you have nothing to fear, do you? If this is a mistake, we will sort it all out at the Watch House and meanwhile this semaphore station can continue to be the important hub that you make it out to be. Come along now.”

The new man was just standing there with his mouth open, so I asked him to find my reply and reminded him to send for the next clerk on the roster. His attention snapped back to his job, although he kept shooting glances at the other scene as it developed.

“On the wall, there Goodman. Yes, that roster. I shall summon an urchin while you look for my reply.” My voice nearly broke with the effort of appearing normal, but somehow I managed it.

Once the Watchmen had taken the still-protesting Salien out of the door, Kords broke out in laughter, which was brought on more by stress relief rather than any humour she found in the situation. I smiled weakly at her as I went to the door and got an urchin to come and collect his commission. Suril smiled his congratulations at me and mouthed that he was off to fetch Haka.

… … …

Kords and I sat down in the 'Nest' and ordered a fruit drink. I had, because of the very brisk walk down there, recovered much of my normal behaviour, and we decided to sit for a few moments in the 'Nest' to regain our composures and breaths before returning to the South Point house. We had walked so quickly that we neither of us had any breath with which to converse and I could see a million questions in her eyes. I also had to get something cleared away before the other girls were all around us.

I signed to her to start.

“So what on Anmar was that all about? And why were you so angry? And what had that nice Salien done that was so wrong? And what was that about Blackstone just as we went in? Those questions will do for starters. There are more,” she warned.

“Is it going to be possible for me to not answer any of them? Particularly the one about Blackstone?”

“Particularly NOT that one.”

I sighed. I must have looked upset at that, because I could detect the slightest of wavering in her, but then her determination shone through once more and I knew the moment of hesitation was done and in the past. I knew that she knew me well enough that I would answer, but in my way, so I suppose I did not disappoint her.

“Let's start at the end.” She rolled her eyes but nevertheless settled down to pay attention. “I want you to think about Uncle Steef.”

Her eyes widened at that, and I could see the questions forming up in her pretty little head.

“You know he is, or was rather, in the barge business?” I took her nod as agreement that I should continue. “Well, I happen to know, as do you if you think about it, that our Steward is investigating using barges for coal shipments. Suppose he wants to give Steef the contract. Would Steef want anyone else to find out about the possibilities before he had done his groundwork and made himself the favoured trader? He would want as much as he could get out of the contract, right?” Again a nod. “So he would want to keep quiet about his arrangements, right?”

I took a sip of the fruit drink, which gave her a chance to chip in with some of the dawning that I could see coming behind her eyes.

“And that man, the one at the counter, that Salien basically announced to anyone who was in there at the time, what that man's business was! He was starting some barging venture or other!”

“Exactly!”

“But that man prolly ...” Kords has a habit of rushing her words when she gets caught up in some things, and then words like 'probably' come out as 'prolly', “... didn't want anyone else to know his business.”

“And that's the entire point of this exercise. I worked it out from what Suril had said and why he was interested in going to the Semaphore Station. That man, the clerk who works there, is NOT supposed to tell anyone what is in the messages he passes. That's why I had to try to get him to admit that he was supposed to keep secrets.”

Kords sat back and let out a breath. She was thinking furiously and started nodding to herself as she went over things again in her mind. And then her mouth flew open as something occurred to her, and a great shadow passed over her face.

“GB … he was talking …”

I raised a hand to stop her as I nodded. “Yes, dear sweet Kords. Epp, Haka, Mousa and I thought it best that the rest of you didn't associate a visit to Tranidor for the first time, with GB taking her own life. We all wanted you to have a carefree time here, so I'm desperately sorry that you have found out. We would have told you once we were home, but we didn't want you to suffer whilst we were here.”

Tears were falling from her eyes now and she fumbled for a cloth in her carry bag.

“And I must beg of you …”

“Don't worry, I shall,” sniff, “not tell the others.” Sniff.

I put my arm round her shoulders and we hugged as she wept for GB. She was conscious that she was in public, so she struggled womanfully to keep the fuss to a minimum.

Her little voice started up again: “And that's why you've been all sad! Out of consideration for us! Oh 'Lina, you are so brave and thoughtful, as are the grown-ups.”

Now THAT embarrassed me, and I felt some hot water in the corners of my eye. Harrumph. Time for another sip of drink!

“Excuse me Miss, I am a grown-up nowadays,” I said mock-severely, stressing the word 'I' in the middle.

It got a giggle – sure, only a tiny one, but nevertheless a giggle. Then there was puzzlement.

“But how would the Semaphore Station clerk know about it?”

“What is going to happen, dearest? GB's body is going to be washed up somewhere downstream. The authorities there are going to want to know who it is, or was, rather. So the Watch here probably sent a message downstream warning other Watches to be on the lookout. So they would have used the Semaphore for that.”

“And that slimeball was telling everyone about it? And was making fun of her? Why I would …”

“Steady down now, my girl. I have already done that for both of us. Remember? It was you who brought me out of my anger!”

“Oh 'Lina! I'm sorry now, I should have made you more angry and then you would have ripped him …”

“Enough of that, Miss Kordulet! Then I would have been arrested and your sister's life would have been over before it has started. So I'll hear no more of it, I'll thank you!”

There was a pause before she asked in a very small voice: “'Lina, how is it you see these things so clearly while I don't understand what is happening until it is all over?”

That remark got a genuine laugh from me, one that helped clear out any lurking bad odours from inside me.

“I may be unique on this world, dear sister. Without giving birth, I have been a mother! And mothers need to be one step ahead of impossible little brats like you and your sisters and brothers!”

Rather than the laugh I expected, Kords turned thoughtful.

(Older Julina says: Now, looking back over the years, I think that that was the first step Kords took that was indeed fully mature and thoughtful – so not having a laugh was in all probability a Good Thing.)

“'Lina. After all that, what WAS the reply to your message?”

I gasped as I had actually forgotten about it as I was trying to fend off some of her questions. I rummaged in my carry bag, and pulled out the now scrumpled piece of paper.

“BLAM TRAE P3 MR2 P, K - MS J. Ref 160038. EL granted. Terms as discussed, 1/20, 2 years. None before 1st Marash. Get witnessed signature.”

I smiled at that and was already planning this afternoon's visit, once the luncheon was over and the two potential teachers had been seen.

I explained the details of the reply, including the coding, to Kords as we walked back to the house.

... … …

We got a few puzzled looks from the girls as they sensed somehow Kords' unhappiness, and I managed to let Epp and Mousa know that Kords was aware of the GB events. I saw Mousa whisper to Haka, who shot a glance at Kords as well.

The meal was good whilst the two interviews were mixed. The first candidate was a possibility but the second decided he didn't like the potential scenario and got up to leave before we even had a chance to do our mass questioning.

Which meant we had more time for our afternoon excursion. And I was not surprised when the others decided to all join me.

… … …

“Mistress ... Julina wasn't it?”

“Indeed, Master Bormio!”

“You have intrigued me these past days. And I gather from the reaction ...” my heart started beating even faster, and Epp moved closer to me “... of your friends here, that you seem to think you know something of the glassmaker's art.”

Wow! I wasn't expecting that! My body had been trembling and I had sort of planned the look that would be on his face and so on, but today it was as if he was holding back somehow. I was still obviously attracted to him, and my body was tingling all over, but somehow HIS attitude was different. I was sure that he was also attracted to me, but he was being … wary. Epp frowned slightly and many of the others looked confused too.

And it made me a little wary.

Despite my feelings.

“Watch please, Master Bormio. And please remember that what you are about to see is a product, a glass product, that is under an Exclusivity Licence. I have chosen to demonstrate this product to you as I believe that we can do some business together. I am trusting you that you will not abuse this demonstration. This is the first one of these ever made in all of Alaesia so it is very, very precious. As soon as you see it, I am sure you shall understand its worth and indeed its manufacture. I repeat, this is already protected by an Exclusivity Licence. And I am the owner of it, and no-one touches it without my permission. Understood?”

He nodded, his face alive with curiosity.

I went over to one of his display towers in a corner and selected a pair of ear dangles. I signed to Molly to come over with me, and I placed my carry bag gently on the floor before selecting a pair. I held one up to each ear and raised my eyebrows at Molly, obviously inviting her opinion.

“I'm not sure if they really go with your hair, and they seem awkward with your top as well.”

Bormio was looking a little confused at seeing something happening that he had already seen many, many times. There was a new assistant of his that seemed to be taking a strangely intense and close scrutiny of what was going on; I say new, but that might have been unfair. We just hadn't seen her on our previous visit.

Molly kept up her dithering and being indecisive, as, of course, we had arranged beforehand. So I sort of dismissed her, saying that I didn't need her.

Then I bent my knees and reached down to pick up my carry bag. All the other girls, again as arranged beforehand, gathered round me to protect me and my treasure from any rushes as I took out the hand-mirror and made a big show of examining myself in the mirror. I twirled it around slightly so all could see what it was.

There was a gasp from the new assistant and she rushed over towards me. My 'guards' closed even tighter around me, keeping her from grabbing the mirror, as was obviously her intent. Bormio rushed over and held her arm to keep her back. It was only then that I saw the door thrust open and some of the gawpers from the street were coming in. They had seen it too, and wanted a closer look.

I could never have foreseen quite such a reaction. I was fearful that the press would knock some of the displays over and total chaos would ensue.

“Give me that!” screeched the new woman, even as Bormio shouted: “Let me see it.”

I had chosen the farthest corner I could possibly have, anticipating a certain rush, but nothing like this. I felt scared and I'm sure the others did too.

“Hold! Hold, I say!” My voice was lost at first, but soon made itself heard as I wound up to full 'Mother' mode. It brought a little bit of sense to the proceedings and seemed to jar Bormio into a more authoritative attitude.

“Everyone stop! Do not move. If anything gets broken, then you will be paying for it! Now calm down everyone. Mistress Julina, give me that mirror.”

Most people managed to get the message but there were two or three who weren't listening. Including his new assistant.

“Mowlia! Hold!”

“How did these country bumpkins get that? I want to see it. She probably stole it from someone!” She was looking at me with eyes that were spitting fury. I had no idea what I had done to enrage her so, but I knew immediately that there was no way I was ever going to let that woman get within a stride of my precious mirror.

And then I got a great shock.

“Please forgive my wife, Mistress Julia. I think she is overcome with admiration, and is upset that she cannot see your item clearly.”

I felt as if I had been pushed under an icy mountain waterfall.

He was married!

I sensed immediately that that Mowlia had detected my attraction from and maybe even towards him, and thus was reacting on an emotional level.

But I could also sense her greed.

And his.

They had immediately grasped the idea and wanted a licence; they could see what a perfect product it would be for their business.

Once seen, of course, then anyone would have the design and there was now nothing to stop them making their own, only the certain knowledge that any unlicensed sales would bring the full force of the licensing authorities down on them, and their punishments might even drive them out of business.

But now, I was uncertain that I would even deal with them.

Particularly when Bormio started to demand I give him the example. No please, no request. Just a repeated demand.

Now I WAS certain.

I placed it back in my carry bag, hiding it from view, and there was an almost angry growl from all the people other than those in my party.

We just stood there, all gathered together, the mirror well protected and Epp almost made me smile when she whispered: “I think we might do this a different way, next time.”

“So, Mistress Julina. Give me the mirror that I might see it. That I might thus determine if it would be a good thing to make, under licence.”

“Master Bormio, I regret I shall do no such thing. I have changed my mind, following the disgraceful scenes that have just erupted. Futherm ...”

“Why you little slut! I shall not let you leave! You are in a corner from which there is no exit.” She lunged for me, nails extended on quivering fingertips and she even managed to grab a bunch of my hair.

Now I have had much practice in unwinding fingers, usually sticky and grubby, from my tresses and it only took a heartbeat to press my own nails into the right place on the back of her hand to make her fingers loosen their grip, which of course merely made her even more frustrated. Then she was grabbed by Molly, Kelly and Mousa, and she went quite pale when Mousa whispered something in her ear, after which she finally went silent and staggered backwards looking shocked, her arms reaching for Bormio, presumably for protection.

I just looked directly at Bormio and said: “As I was saying … Furthermore, I object to your peremptory demands that I show you my article. I am far more used to more gentle requests, and I shall not be bullied by the likes of you. You had a chance to deal honourably, but I shall negotiate a contract for these with another manufacturer here in Tranidor now. You will have to watch someone else become rich, simply because of your arrogance. You have also put paid to any sales to me of your products and can cancel the delivery of anything I ordered yesterday. Now make way please, that we might leave these unfriendly premises.”

His face twisted in anger, and my eyes saw him properly for the first time.

I added before he could say anything more: “And be assured, I shall make certain that if any one of these items ever leaves your premises, you shall be visited by the licensing authorities. You shall be out of business before you can even blink. Be warned!”

“Give me that mirror! It can't be yours and I shall report you to the Guild for stealing someone's property. Don't try to threaten me, little girl. I'll have you arrested.”

“Then call your Watchmen, Bormio. I am not without influence in this town, and, should you not desist immediately, I shall make every attempt to make sure the likes of you are not welcome in our town.” Epp showed her anger as she told Bormio the facts of life.

“And who is this woman, Bormio?” asked Mowlia, regaining some courage now she was away from Mousa.

“My name is Mistress – note that, Mistress Mowlia, I am 'Mistress' to the likes of you – Megrozen.”

Mowlia's anger faded as she realised just what a hole she had dug for herself. Megrozen's name DID carry a lot of weight in Tranidor. She paled as the significance seeped too slowly into her consciousness.

But that didn't stop her from trying to grab my carry bag as we pushed past on our way out. I was waiting for something like that, so I had my hand ready and drove the side of it into her hand, just where the pain point is. She screeched, more in shock than pain I suspect.

“Bormio, she hit me!”

“I wouldn't have been able to hurt you had you not, yet again, tried to steal my property. So keep your hands and arms away from anywhere near me.”

My temper was up. And I responded in anger, with none of the normal politeness.

I think that it was at that point that the message really finally hit home in Bormio's brain. He, and in particular his wife, had spectacularly failed. He had to be seen to come to the defence of his wife of course, so he said, somewhat listlessly: “You hit my wife!”

“And will do so again if she heeds not my warning. This is entirely HER fault, and it will have cost you a fortune, for I shall be doing no business whatsoever with either of you. My friends here can do what they want, but I shall refrain from giving you any coin in any way, shape or form.”

There were murmurs of agreement from all gathered round me.

“It wasn't my fault!” whined Mowlia, but in a smaller voice than she had hitherto employed.

It WAS her own fault, and it would have availed her nothing had she succeeded in ripping my bag away, since Kords and I had swapped bags a while before and her target was being carried by another. Not even I knew where it was, for the girls were still constantly swapping bags around, and making sure that Bormio and Mowlia saw them doing so. I joined in with savage glee.

Thus it was that my brief affair, if it could be called that, with a certain Master Bormio came to an abrupt end.

And I felt like bursting into tears, which I never do, as you all know well!!!

… … …

“Slow down, 'Lina!”

I was stomping my way along the north side of Cross Street, heading for Junction Square. I turned around and saw the others all struggling to keep up. So I relented and stood there, facing back towards them, towards the East Bridge.

And I watched over their shoulders as an obviously important party rode towards us. A lavishly dressed man surrounded by a file of guards.

Even through my distress, my brain still functioned well enough to be able to say that this was the Count returning from Dekarran.

It was then that I heard a lot of snickering from people gathered around and I wondered what that was about. A woman silently pointed out to me that, hanging on nearly every drying pole, were men's tights and working trousers and leggings, all conspicuously damp at the crotch part. Despite myself, I smiled.

The group of riders came abreast of us (the others had by then caught me up) and they reined in just then. The Count, for it must have been he, pointed out the hanging garments to his Captain or whoever the guards' leader was. The latter's face darkened but most everyone around, including the Guard captain, looked surprised when the Count burst out in a fit of genuine laughter.

He said, loud enough for those standing near to hear: “I deserve that! I'm glad to see that the Town's sense of humour has not entirely disappeared.”

He raised his voice slightly and injected a note of command: “There are changes coming, my citizens, changes about which I deem you shall approve. Give me a few days to set up certain things, and I shall then make the announcements.” He raised his gloved hand and gestured appropriately as he said: “Onward to the Castle.”

Leaving behind a very puzzled look on most of the faces around me.

… … …

“Mistress Julina! Mistress Julina! Mistress Megrozen.”

At first I thought it was Bormio running to catch us up so I just increased my pace, which made the others complain.

“It's Berdon, 'Lina. Not that other.”

Epp's words slowed me down once more, and allowed me to turn my head to be aware of my surroundings again.

“Maker! You were really moving fast! Am I so terrifying?”

“No. I just thought you were someone else.”

“Oh really! Now who might that be?”

“Never mind! What can we do for you?”

“I am just showing this group around and would like to confirm some details of our trip tomorrow – sorry, the day after tomorrow. Is it possible to meet in the 'Nest' in half a bell? … Mistress Julina? … Hello? … Um, it's rude to stare!” he added at the end of the sentence in a lower voice.

It brought me back to my surroundings, but I could not stop myself from stealing glances at the group he was escorting.

As were all of the girls, and the grown-ups with me in our group.

Master Borden was with a group that numbered nine, all of whom were dressed in women's clothes, but a hand of them were obviously men, no six, and maybe that one at the back with the brown hair …

“I … I … I apologise for being so rude,” I managed to stammer out, “but I come from a mountain village and I have never seen … er … women such as yourselves … so this is a novelty to me … and to my companions. I am really ashamed, that we have been so rude … GIRLS! … and would beg forgiveness.”

My sharper tone to my companions broke their mindset and they all started blushing and apologising too, so there was a little bit of chaos for a moment or two.

“Let me escort these ladies to their accommodation, and I shall meet you all then in the 'Nest' at the three-quarter bell. Ladies, this way!”

We watched as they moved off. It seemed to me that one or two of them were highly embarrassed, and some were annoyed whilst others were resigned. One though, one who surely could not be a man, looked a little smug whilst yet another looked happy.

What a strange encounter.

… … …

It will come as no surprise for you to discover that we were all discussing it as we waited in the 'Nest' for Berdon to arrive, and it was Epp, of course, who was able to explain a few things to us. She could not explain all we wanted to know, so I knew that Berdon was going to be inundated with questions when he got to us. But I think we all understood Epp's attempts to give some reason.

“You have seen even up in Blackstone, some women who would rather be men?” We all nodded. “Well there are also some men who would rather be women. And why should it be alright one way and not the other? This society is deeply rooted in the idea that men are bigger, stronger, taller and all of that stuff - and that therefore they are superior in some way. So it is alright for women to want to be men – to 'better' themselves that way, but it is not alright for men to want to be women – to 'lessen' themselves somehow.”

She paused as we all thought about this.

“And that is why we were all surprised and we all, myself included, acted so rudely. We are all women here today, so we know that women have their advantages as well, that we are clearly superior to men in several, if not many, ways. And yet we still showed how influenced we have been by our society at large. I am ashamed of myself, I freely admit.

“As to WHY it happens, then I have no real idea, but if I might make a suggestion to you? The basis of this suggestion was formed in a conversation I had with a friend here in Tranidor, a friend by the name of Anelka.

“No-one really knows what happens when a baby develops deep inside a mother. But it seems obvious to me that there are a variety of observable facts that appear. Skin colour, eye colour, hair colour, male or female, left or right handed, slow or quick witted, deep or high voiced – oh there are many, many more.

“My theory, and this is my theory and no-one else's, not even Anelka's as it happens, is that as a baby develops, certain connections, now that word 'connection' may not be accurate but it will have to suffice, so, connections are made that are then set. One day left or right handedness. The next day hair colour – or whatever.

“If you imagine a pendulum swinging say from black hair to blonde hair and back again, passing through brown and red on the way, then at the moment the connection is made, the hair colour is taken from where the pendulum happened to be right at that very heartbeat. And the same for each of the other variables we can easily see.

“But when it comes to choosing whether the babe shall be a male or a female, there is no other choice. So if the connection is made when the pendulum is entirely at the male end, then we get the very male people. If it is at the other end, then we get the very female people. If it is anywhere in between then we get, say, a male but with female tendencies; we have seen some males who cry with emotion sometimes. At another point we get a female, but a manly one. Maybe even the direction the pendulum is swinging also has an effect.”

“Of course! That is excellent thinking Epp, and seems to be confirmed by observation of those we know.”

There was general agreement that Epp had probably got it right, and we were deep in thought when the lonely male joined us.

… … …

“Master Berdon, what on Anmar was that group of … people you were with?”

“Ladies, it is as I suspected! The first question would be about my earlier companions. I must state at the outset that their business is THEIR business and it is not for me to create or indulge in gossip. These are all people and they choose to live their lives the way they wish to, and who am I to deny them that very freedom? I am at liberty to say that they have arrived from many different cities, towns and villages and this is an annual event for them. This year the event happens to be in Tranidor. I understand that next year it shall be in Palarand City itself.”

There followed a period during which poor Berdon was bombarded with questions from us all, but really and truly no further important information emerged and the subject passed on to his reasons for meeting us. We answered his questions and then I had some practical questions myself, questions that would perchance have been better asked of him a day or more earlier.

“Ah, yes. Bormio. He is known as a plausible and likeable rogue with a temper. We all feel he could go much further, he DOES have some good ideas, but he is held back by that dreadful wife of his. For me to be a convincing playactor, I have to observe and analyse people, and 'tis my opinion that he is frustrated by the restrictions her presence imposes upon him.”

We learnt more of the man from Berdon and it would seem that I was better off not dealing with him, as my inner self had told me. At no time did any of us mention a hand-mirror to Berdon, so any comments he made were uncoloured by that episode, he just had the knowledge that I had some business to do with a glassmaker.

“But just fifty strides from here is another glassmaker with a better reputation – a Master known for his honest adherence to the old habits, honourable in the extreme.”

We all looked at each other, and decided to visit this new man, Tapio, on our way home, and Berdon decided to accompany us as well, obviously intrigued by the air of mystery we projected.


up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm curious as to where

I'm curious as to where Julina learned about pressure points. Was this part of her Ti Chi classes or taught to her by the Sheriff? She did really well standing up for herself and the other girls against the wife and Bormio. They seem like a matched pair. So Anmar has TS/TG people as well, wonder how Garia will show others how these people can be good people and no-one to be afraid of because they may be different that another is accustomed to being around. Perhaps they just might find their other school teachers among these women/man?

I really like this episode

It seems Tranidor needs her as much as Blackstone does. Thank the Maker about Bormio though. As we all know, the very fact we are attracted to another person does not make that person any better of a person. The story progressed by leaps and bounds with many story threads being created and retired in rapid fashion. It is really lucky she planned ahead for that meeting with Bormio in case things went pear shaped.

Mind or heart has always been a tension when it comes to finding a mate as we all know. Ideally it should be both divorces prove otherwise.

Final thought. If these T-girls were wearing makeup then the makeup may very well be unsafe as Garia had warned the queen in the canon series. It cannot be good for them but since they don't really have much choice but to try cover their beards. Still, why is Berdon the one to escorting them. His relationship with them is not that clear.

Hmmm, possibly a trope question, but

Do the women of Palarand shave their legs, underarms? I do not recall any such details, canon or otherwise?

Hi GR - sorry to be so long in replying

Thanks for your comments.
A few things to mention here.
I will start with bears.
And some dogs.
In order to look more menacing, various Earthly animals are given the ability to erect hairs to make themselves look bigger. This is a trait that in Nature is most usually required by males rather than females.
Which is why plucking hairs for a male man is more painful than it is for women. Every male hair has 3 muscles attached to the root, whereas those of females have only one. Plucking a hair for the first time rips out not just the hair and its rroot but also the three muscles.
I was told this forty or fifty years ago and have had confirmations from other sources at various points in my life. I confess, that until now, I have never had the desire to go and try to garner absolute confirmation.
Female hairs tend to be thinner than male ones.

So, whilst Earthly societies (in the West) tend to see beauty in hairlessness, maybe such a sign is NOT required by Anmarian society. Maybe Penny and I shall exchange an eMail or two on this subject, but as mostly hairy armpits, legpits and indeed arms and legs are likely to be covered by some sort of clothing, I suspect that Palarandis have yet to discover the delights of exfoliation and hair removal.

The Bormio episode and J's feelings are not quite done with as yet, but it is only a minor point in the next one, so I can't even really call it a spoiler to say that it shall be further mentioned.

Berdon is one of Tranidor's greeters, one that shows people around, so maybe he was just lucky to be assigned the group of ladies ......

Trying to remember your other points as I'm writing this, but got called away for 30 minutes in the middle.

Hmmm.

So I'll just post this for now, and try to read stuff later - but I have 500 miles to drive this afternoon, so may be a tad tired this evening ........

Body Hair in the Great Valley

Both men and women tend to keep their bodies covered most of the time so it would never have occurred to them to shave any of it.

Men are expected to be more hairy than women so that when laboring during warm weather, for example, and strip to the waist, nobody is going to be too bothered.

Women, of course, would be expected to keep their shoulders and knees covered and would probably be wearing some kind of tights, even on the hottest days.

I think as a rule the men of the Valley go clean-shaven. What happens elsewhere is open to question, though you can almost guarantee that when the Vikings turn up there will be lots of hair.

Penny

Ah, I guess the Great Valley will evolve to Anmarian for France

LOL

Thanks Penn for clearing that up for me. Being of Asian descent myself I have virtually no body hair so there was also the possibility that the Great Valley was the same way. Maybe the Kitrins? *shrug*.

The thing is, Garia did come from a society where women does the shaving thing so it is odd she had not made an observation on that point. This also brings up the broad point that she has not up the broad points of contrast between her Kansas daily hygenic rituals vs that of Palarand.