The Transit of Venus, Book 2 - Ch 5

Printer-friendly version
image_31.jpg

Book 2, Chapter 5

Back at home preparing dinner I was giggling to myself because the style of rhumba John had chosen for his lesson was outrageously sexy. I'm sure his idea was to create a tsunami of emotional embarrassment in front of my parents but it didn't work out that way as Mum and Dad loved it and dancing together were soon oblivious to my own awkward efforts. One thing led to another and they both stayed on for the disabled class which arrived in a mobility bus and included 4 with Down's syndrome who were the most enthusiastic of dancers, 2 girls with cerebral palsy who claimed Dad as their own as he was such a physically steady presence that he gave them confidence, 4 more with injuries that were taking the class as physiotherapy and 3 more helpers.

By 4pm I was nigh on exhausted by the Down's dancers but feeling physically the best I had since my operation. In other ways I was feeling the best I had in ages from the relief of putting my own worries aside for a while. After the class proper Mum and Dad went back to prancing about like teenagers having returned to practicing rhumba steps while John and I discussed the future.

"I never realised they could do so much." was my reaction. "I'd like to help if you think I can be useful."

"Twice a week here?" Saturday for a 3 pm class and Wednesday 7 pm with 45 minutes beforehand for your lessons?"

I agreed gladly and when Mum and Dad rejoined us they offered and were accepted to help regularly on Saturdays.

* * * * * *

Very quickly life settled into a routine. I was more restricted in what I could do than after my previous operation and when I went to see my GP, Dr Carter, on the Monday evening she vetoed my diving lessons until I was completely healed.

"How did you get on with Dr Stanhope this time?" she casually asked.

I was aware that the two doctors were friends but had confidence that they would only share details about me on a strictly 'need-to-know' so I couldn't help but tease. "I think we got on better and I have another appointment but it is difficult to know what she thinks because when I left she was in tears!"

My convalescence days I filled with researching new recipes to be made from ingredients that stored well, improving my sewing slightly and adding a new skill in the way of marine rope-work which offered a combination of practical and decorative touches. I'd seen old fashioned splices made using 3 ply rope but materials had changed since those ropes had been common and in addition to newer braided ropes which needed their own techniques there was rope made with something called Dyneema which was so strong and low stretch that Bill wanted to try it as an alternative to the stainless steel that had been used for quite a while for standing rigging but was expensive, heavy and prone to breakages at the end fittings. Why is it I feel like a test pilot trying out the very latest innovation? I suppose Captain Cook was pushing the boundaries in his time so maybe innovation is in keeping.

* * * * * *

My Wednesday evening dance class was a lot of fun. I turned up at 6 pm and as John was already there I helped him first with the seats before we began my lesson. Going through what I had already begun work on we did a salsa, waltz and rhumba before spending a good 30 minutes breaking new ground with a quickstep which twice had me down on my backside as my legs got plaited. After the second fall I did have to ask John to take things easy as I was sure my stitches weren't expected to cope with aerobatics but nothing felt over-strained and it was good to have some real exercise. As a bonus John lent me a stack of CDs sorted by dance rhythm and DVDs to remind me of the steps.
"If you wanted to be a professional dancer I'd get you to concentrate on one area at a time but I think that you just just love to dance and it will help if you play these even when you're doing other things. I find for instance a waltz is perfect for drying and stowing the washing up."

That did make me do a double-take as John was the last person I could imagine waltzing around the kitchen! I was almost sure he wasn't gay from my own reaction which so far had been zero when faced with a good looking gay man like Evan - probably the wrong pheromones. John on the other hand was…… "Wrist slap Venus! Don't even think about going there!!" I said to myself in self-reprimand.

* * * * * *

The next big event was on the Friday when Bill had arranged for us to go the 150 miles north to where the new boat was being built; stopping there overnight in his magic bus before returning on Saturday morning so I didn't miss my dance class. Going from the driving the instructor's car with occasional added drives in our family car to driving what amounted to a small truck was nerve wracking to start with but Bill seemed relaxed so I soon settled down to enjoy a slow but beautiful diversion through Snowdonia National Park. I suspected there was more to Bill's choice of route than a desire for scenery and all became clear when we stopped for an early lunch by Trawsfynydd Nuclear Power Station.

"I used to come here when they started building that power station in 1959." he said pointing. "Before that, in the 1920s they created the lake to supply hydro-electric power by building four dams and then later used that lake to cool the nuclear power station which in turn was closed down in 1991. They say the decommissioning will be finished in 2081."

"So you are against nuclear power?" I asked.

"Not at all. I have great hopes for nuclear fusion even though I have no idea if it can ever be done practically. I chose this route to share with you what has become a beautiful park creating jobs by attracting people mainly from Britain. At the same time I hope it gives you a sense of perspective about any projects you may become involved with. Nothing we do is for ever and there are always unintended consequences."

* * * * * *

It was 2 pm when we pulled up outside the boatshed and Bill walked straight in unannounced. To say I was shocked would be a massive understatement as what I could see was nowhere near finished and not the black I expected of carbon-fibre.

"Bill, have you been bullshitting us all? Is this a MacGuffin?"

up
114 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

MacGuffin

check Wikipedia - it don't float the boat.

Ballroom dancing ?

Dyneema ? never heard of it. I will check this out.
Why the question when Venus saw the boat. She sounded disappointed.
I'm interested to have it described to us. I'm not a sailor. more of a stink pot guy, but I appreciate a fine shape, no matter how it moves.

Kevin