Take Three Girls Part 16

Printer-friendly version
Take three Mk 1.jpg

Take Three Girls

Take Three Girls Part 16

Take Three Girls. This is about 2 girls and one woman (myself) and their very different route to become the women they knew they should be. It was going to be called Take Two Girls, but an on line friend (she knows who she is) and the girls bullied me into the name change. Some poetic licence has been used to help the flow of the story but not very much.

This part of the story concerns Kate and how she coped with the death of her mother and the aftermath of the funeral.

**************************

I took Kate into my arms and guided her upstairs as being strong all day had really taken it out of her.
I undressed her and got her ready for bed making sure she had Pink Tail with her then I sat with her making soothing noised and stroking her hair talking about nothing in particular.
I broke my cardinal rule and let the dogs onto her bed so they could give her the unconditional love only an animal can.

Eventually she had cried herself out and slowly drifted off to sleep. In the end the dogs and I sat with her all night.
Well apart from getting some water for myself and letting the dogs outside.

The next morning when she woke up she took one look at me and asked in a quiet voice, “You been here all night aunty Av?” I smiled wearily at her answering, “Yes love – but the dogs have kept me company.”
She ruffled Dillon’s fur and said, “Thanks for being there aunty Av I love you.”
“And I love you dear. Now are you feeling better?”
She nodded then told me, “I spoke to mum in a dream.” For some reason I was a bit disturbed. Kate carried on, “She was young and pretty she told me that she’s sorry she’s left me but she’ll be watching over me and taking care of me – am I being daft aunty Av?”

I stroked her head and answered, “Sweetheart stranger thing have happened as long as you believe that’s the main thing.”

Kate thought about this for a few minutes then finally said, “You’re right aunty Av and I do believe I spoke to mum!”

I stood up telling her, “I’m going for a shower and get changed.” Kate nodded saying, “Thanks for being there for me.”
As I walked out of the door I turned and told her, “Kate please stop thanking me or else you’ll set me off crying and the next time I want to cry is when you’re a bride.”

I heard her getting out of bed and shouted from the shower, “I’ve finished Kate – you next young lady.” She came in grumbling a little so I told her, “Girls keep themselves clean – you’re a girl right?”
She nodded so I continued, “Shower now!” “Wot’s for breakfast aunty Av? I’m hungry!”
This was more normal behaviour so I told her that we’d have bacon and eggs and things – just this once for in truth I was starving.

I got dressed in shorts and a loose top them going downstairs I got the grill going. Raiding the freezer; fridge and store cupboard we ended up with bacon, scrambled eggs, hash browns tomatoes and baked beans!

We spent the day simply relaxing. Carl phoned to tell us that they were going to scatter Heathers ashes at the ruins of Top Withens Farm (where Wuthering Heights is reputed to be based on)

The next day Kate went to work despite my misgivings saying, “Mum told me to work hard and get my exams!” That reminded me school was three weeks away.

The following Monday we drove up to the moors and started the walk up to Top Withen.
It’s a beautiful but long walk. They all insisted that I went with them and Kate insisted that the dogs came along as well.

Top Withen.jpg

Bronte Country

We got to the ruin of the farm, which luckily was deserted apart from the usual sheep. I say this because the site is a huge tourist draw.

There was a gentle breeze and each of Heather's children took turns in scattering her ashes, it was a truly beautify and evocative moment.
Then they laid the small poesy’s of flowers alongside the ruins of Top Withen Farm.

Wuthering Heights

Carl said, “I remember when me and Pete were little mum used twag school and we’d come up here me managing to walk and Pete in’t push chair– she loved the place.

(I found out that Heather had born her first child Carl when she was 12! Pete followed when she was 14 then Wayne at 16 all had the same father who had stuck by Heather until his untimely death. Kate was born when Heather was 20)

Before we left Carl handed Kate a small album, it contained pictures of Heather from a little girl until she was 19.
One particular photo’s showed a pretty vivacious girl startlingly like Kate.
It seemed that Heather’s final 15 years of life what with the problems she had endured had taken its toll on this once pretty girl.

Kate looked in wonder stammering, “L, l, l, last night mum looked just like this!”
Showing us a picture of a teenage Heather. I understood what she said but I don’t think her brothers did!

I think this was a big watershed for Kate. It closed a chapter of her life and her new life started. We walked back to the cars Kate clutching the album as though her life depended on it.
Before we left I kissed Wayne and Pete on the cheeks and Carl full on the lips! As I broke the kiss I whispered, “Phone ok!” He nodded

Kate and I drove home she commented, “We’ll be able to talk to mum when we’re up on the moors won’t we Aunty Av?” “We sure will sweetheart and she’ll be able to keep an eye on you.”
Kate gave me that cheeky grin and informed me, “She won’t have to I’m going to make her so proud of me!”
When she said those words her eyes flashed as if to dare me to argue and her back was straight as a die.

For the rest of the school holidays things very gradually returned to something like normal.
Her job at the salon really gave Kate focus. Ruth told me that she was a very willing and diligent worker who was fast to learn and asked sensible questions.
Kate had progressed to washing the client’s hair as well as the sweeping up and tea making.

At home June came to see us and broached the subject of me being a single woman I was not suitable (being single) to legally adopt Kate.
As expected this went down like a lead balloon with Kate and to say the least there was an hour of acrimonious debate (and that is putting it nicely!)

Kate was adamant she was staying with me – end of story (according to Kate). June was equally adamant that this simply wasn’t possible – end of story (according to June).

Me? I was simply piggy in the middle. Finally after Kate had flounced out of the room delivering her “I’m going nowhere RIGHT!” Ultimatum.

June sighed saying, “Avril love you know it’s simply not possible.” I nodded fully aware of this.
Remembering my conversation with Jan and Steve I suggested, “Has Jan been to see you?” June looked at me saying, “No why?” So I recounted my conversation in the car.

June looked thoughtful and slowly said, “If Jan was serious this could be a solution.” I considered her answer then suggested, “June; go and talk to Jan. If she was serious this could be acceptable to Kate – but if it’s a goer let me put it to Kate I could manage to keep the peace.”

June snorted telling me, “She certainly knows her mind that one. And she’s not backward at coming forward.”
Kate flounced back into the room looked disdainfully at June saying, “You still here! Can I get a biscuit aunty Av?”

She pi**ed me off with her attitude I snapped at her, “NO YOUNG LADY!” Kate stopped dead as it was very rare that I spoke to anyone like that. I carried on, “YOU CAN APOLOGISE TO JUNE ALL SHE IS TRYING TO DO IS WHAT’S BEST FOR YOU – A – POL – O - GISE -------- NOW!”

Kate considered her options her vivid green eyed clashed with my cold ice blue ones and the blue ones won.
“June” Kate started, “I’m sorry I said that to you, I was upset it was very rude of me.”
June looked steadily at Kate and finally said, “Love I know you like staying with Avril but honestly it’s impossible for it to be a permanent solution. Look let’s leave it there but please think about things.”

So it was left there what you could call a no score draw.

Another milestone was that I enrolled Kate with my doctor and explained to him all about Kate and asked that after her had read the reports from the Tavistock and the local clinicians that he put’s her on hormones as soon as she reached 16!

The smile on Kate’s face said it all she was absolutely ecstatic. The doctor asked us for another appointment to give him time to read Kate’s notes.
We made an appointment for a month’s time and left it at that. Then it was back to school for Kate her job became a Saturday job but Ruth had told her that she needed good examination results so she could go to collage to study hairdressing and beauty.

So life returned to normal I was covering for Jan at the drop in centre as she was still recovering and privately she had hinted that she was considering leaving.
I was upset but it was her decision. June had spoken to Jan and clarified that Jan did want to adopt Kate.

It was with trepidation that I put the idea to Kate. I got the jaw out ready to argue pose - but no argument.
She left me in the kitchen cooking our supper then an hour later as she sat at the table she came out with, “Ok aunty Av I’ll go and live with Jan – I like her she tried to help me on that day – but I’m still seeing you ok.”
I held my hands up in mock surrender saying, “Ok, ok deal after all Jan’s only three streets away. Just think you’ll have an older sister and another brother.”

The cheeky grin appeared as she asked, “Another brother HAH!” Then she thought for a minute, “When you seeing our Carl again.”

Carl and I had been on a few dates (I had succumbed to his persistence) He was good company to be with but I think we both realised that there was no long-term future in our relationship.
Our only point of common interest was that we both wanted what was the best for Kate.
As he was her oldest close relation I always consulted him on anything directly to do with Kate’s health and future.

So in answer to her question I simply said, “I don’t know love – sometime.”
After her acceptance of Jan legally becoming her guardian I phoned June and told her. To say she was relieved is putting it mildly.

The severity of Jan’s facial injury was making it a very slow healing process so Kate and I took to visiting Jan a lot to get her used to Jan’s natural family and of course the reverse.

Kate and Jan’s daughter really hit it off Rhona is nearly 3 years older than Kate but soon they were hanging out together for a lot of the time.
Rhona became a roll model for Kate – which was a really good thing as it was something Kate badly needed a girl friend of about her own age.

It was decided that Kate would move in with Jan after Christmas – which was rapidly approaching.
Every month Kate and I walked up to Top Withens sometimes lingering at the Bronte Bridge to rest and think.
Every month Kate would speak with her mum telling her how her life was going; how well she was doing at school and of course how much she missed her mum.

Rather stupidly we clambered up there just before Christmas the weather was atrocious with near blizzard conditions but Kate insisted that we go.

(Before you think we were being stupid - and in all honesty I should never have let Kate talk me into going.
A word on our clothing and equipment.
We do a lot of walking on the moors in all weathers. So I have made sure that the clothing we have is the best available.
The winter clothing is Arctic tested and will withstand down to -40C. I have a Sat Nav on my iPhone and we always carry a small emergency pack)

Suitably protected against the elements and with two dogs in tow we made the climb up to Top Withens which took us twice as long as normal.
At the top the ruins stood stark and dark against the backdrop of white. We sheltered from the cutting wind using the standing wall. Kate produced a small bunch of flowers, which she scattered to the winds, wishing her mum a Happy Christmas.

Once again I was reduced to tears; but due the amount of clothing I had on my tears were hidden from Kate.
Personally I put it down to the biting wind bringing tears to my eyes and being peppered with horizontal snow.

It was getting worse the wind rising and the snow was near blizzard. I put the dogs on long leads and told Sam, “Seek Car”
Thank god that Labrador’s are intelligent! As it was white out conditions - the scenery has all the same – white!

I will admit that I was worried but after two hours we approached where we had parked the car. How Sam had done it I didn’t know but he brought us right to the car. Snow had drifted up to the top of the wheels on the windward side.

We put the dogs into the car and towelled them down giving them a high protein snack.
Next a bit of digging then Kate and I settled in the car and peeled some layers off as the heater did its work.
In spite of wearing some of the best gear available out lips were blue.
Kate looked at me saying, “That was a bit hairy aunty Av – but mum was looking after us.”

I felt like snorting but didn’t. I simply said, “ Remind me never to listen to you again! Fancy talking me into coming up here. Your mum AND Sam here was looking after us” Then I added. "And fancy me listening to you"

As I turned the car around I gave silent thanks that a year previous I has swapped my beat up beloved Ford for a 4 wheel drive Shogun which made getting off the moors a lot easier – as long as I managed to keep on the road that is! Thank god for the tall road marker poles which marked each side of the narrow road.

Eventually we reached civilisation and stopped at a café for a big mug of tea for me; and a hot chocolate for Kate. THAT had been a bit dangerous we had been stupid to try it – but Hey Ho life’s dangerous!

Footprints in the Sand

up
95 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The tension is easing?

Rhona McCloud's picture

it feels as though a lot of progress has been made with an uplifting Christmas Special episode of the female character led 'First of the Spring Wine'!

Rhona McCloud

Haworth

I've been to Haworth, seen the Bronte parsonage, graveyard and local church. I'm glad I didn't try to walk to Top Withens, I didn't know it was so far away. Obviously the Bronte sisters made the trip.