The Platinum Chef : A Tale of Delacroix Part XXII

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 73

            Tim was laughing out loud like a maniac while doing the final cleanup for the day. There was some business, everything sold out. Spreadsheet added up,

            It was 11:00 a.m.

            “I’m going to sleep, eat lunch.” He had gotten a DVD of Drop Bears from the library. Whatever movie it was, with Bobbie leaning into him, it would be better.

            Even Ishtar…

            With the Prom coming up, and the big order coming up for the school… And all the others, damn are we gonna be busy.

            A loud rapping moved his face upwards to look at the glass. Looking up, he saw the telltale brown uniform of the UPS driver.

            “That’s right…” He had forgotten the package due today.  I’ll just put it away… how big can it be?

            The delivery guy was standing there with a large box lashed to a dolly.

            “Hi. Tim Flaherty?”

            “That’s me.” Tim said, still smiling.

            “Just need you to sign here.” He held out the clipboard, Tim slid the stylus across the electronic screen.

            “What is it?”

            He gestured to the box. “Don’t know. Some kind of restaurant equipment.”

            “I’d offer you some leftovers, but I’m sold out today.”

            He smiled. “Wife got me some of the triple berry coffee cake. I’ll be back to buy some later this week.”

            A laugh. “I’ll set one aside for you…?”

            “Tony. Thanks. Where do you want it?”

            Tim looked around and saw a spot that would work for now.  “Right there by the fondant station.” He looked at the puzzled face.

            “The marble counter over there.”

            Tony wheeled the large box over to the assigned location and detached his dolly.

            “Thanks, see ya soon.”

            “No problem, you have a good day.” Tony backed his dolly out of the door and was gone. After locking the door behind him, Tim looked at the monolith of cardboard.

            What the hell?

            Using one of the keys on his keyring, he cut the tape at the seams. Soon the gleaming stainless steel surfaces made themselves known. Grabbing the small stapled together booklet, Tim realized what it was that he had.

            “Son of a bitch.” He said, wondering who in the hell would spend the couple of thousand dollars on an ice cream spinner, just to donate it to a fledgling bakery run by a bunch of kids.

            There were tears again, but these were tears of joy. He couldn’t wait to tell Bobbie.

             ***

            “Bobbie, what’s up?”

            Faye reached out and slapped the cigarette out of Kim’s mouth.

            “What the fuck?” Kim said, more frightened than annoyed.

            “Not Bobbie.” Faye moved her nose in as close to Kim’s as she could.

            Kim crumpled away, disappointed. “Damn, she was fun.”

            “Shut up and listen.” Faye said, turning around.

            “I don’t know what the hell kind of shit you’re pulling, but I’m not gonna have it.”

            “And who the hell are you?”

            “Your other sister. I’ve got that damn mark, too. Which explains why I can’t see you.” Vocalizing her notice of the sudden absence of colors.

            “Lust isn’t gonna be too happy.” Kim reached into her purse to pull out her pack of Newport Lights.

            “Yeah?” Faye said. “Fuck her. I stood up to her before, I’m sure I’ll do it again.”

            “We’re marked, and neither one of us is like Roxx.” Faye shot Kim a look of extreme disapproval. Kim lowered her hands back into the small bag.

            “You’re stuck with me. You wanted a big sister? You got one.”

            A girl came in, red and blue absorbing into each other. A tense silence came over both Kim and Faye as she entered and exited the stall.

            “Boyfriend must have broke up with her.” Kim said.

            “Pissed and sad.” Faye agreed. “Wait. You see them too?”

            “Yeah.” Kim said. “I don’t know what they all mean though.”

            “Hmmm. Well, looks like we can help each other.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “The urges, the wakeup.” Faye said, stepping back to get a better look at Kim.

            “Best alarm clock I ever had.” Kim let a sly smile loose. Faye chuckled. “Getting better, just need to concentrate on what I’m doing. I noticed that on stage last week.” As long as she was focused on something the more lascivious thoughts were kept at bay. Always just deal with the next step

            “I can…” Kim raised her hand, as if to touch Faye’s face.

            “No, no no no.” Faye evaded the extremity. “She told me about that, too.” She thought of Heather. Jeez, thrall girlfriend no matter what. Hope she’s up for it.

            “We’re both new to this. But I’m the one that dealt with Lust before. I will be damned if she’ll get the better of me.”

            “What about Roxx?”

            “She’s not my problem. She’s Bobbie’s problem. Not worried about her, but you… If Bobbie’s right, you need to get on top of this otherwise you’re gonna cause more problems for me. And that can’t happen, wakari masu ka?

“Now, you wanna explain these colors to me?”

             ***

            “Taste this.” Tim was thrusting a tasting spoon at her. The cold, creamy substance was almost too much, threatening frostbite of the upper palate.

            It was sweet and smooth, with an incredible coffee flavor.

            “Mmmph. That’s pretty good, where’d you get it?” Bobbie asked.

            Tim pointed at the spinner in the corner. “Anonymous donation.”

            Looking at the device. “Faye. Had to be.”

            “That’s right. While you were… uh, her… We talked about ice cream cakes. This is big.”

            Bobbie cocked her head and studied the machine from an angle. “Can I see the plans for the school cake? I kinda wanna look at it before Beth gets here.”

            Tim frowned. “Can I get a kiss first?”

            Bobbie chuckled. Their lips touched. Both Tim and Bobbie happy to exist in that space near the freezer the cold surfaces of their tongues gliding numbly along each other’s.

            As requested, the plans for the school cake were pulled out and Bobbie gave them a quick glance. Macadamia nuts? Chocolate? Vanilla? Lemon?

            … Candied Lime zest? Nice touch, Faye.

            Bobbie took that moment to lament just how normal everything was again; standing there with Tim, looking at plans for a cake. Waiting for Beth, while the coffee maker gurgled it’s mating call.

            “It’s like I never left.” Bobbie said.

Tim hugged her from behind. “You never really did.”

            Bobbie turned around. “Yes, I did. Left all of this. Faye may have picked up the slack but,  I have to live with that every time I look in the mirror.”

            “But you’re back now.”

            “I suppose. A little older, a little wiser…”

            The door chime sounded and Beth entered the front door carrying a pink backpack. “Hi, guys. I wanted to show you something.”

            Conversation forgotten, Bobbie went back to looking at the plans for the cake. Beth pulled out several printed color swatches.

            “I’m gonna mix the fondant into these colors and make the figures, Everybody can get one.” Beth giggled. “It was a great idea, Bobbie. But it’s been a lot of work just figuring out how to do it.”

            Bobbie smiled. Just like being an Advocate.

            “But, I’ve got it now.”

            “Of course it wasn’t easy.” Bobbie said distantly.

            She echoed Justice’s words.

            “Nothing worth having ever is.” Think I’ve got it now, too.

             ***

            “I swear, you tell me to wear something fabulous, and then you show up looking like you had to leave Fashion Week in Milan in a hurry to get back here.” Rach was wearing an orange swing dress that was closer to a tube dress in the way it tightly gripped her. Her self-conscious feelings faded as she realized that Faye had on the Chucks that constituted sensible shoes.

            Suddenly, Rach was less embarrassed of the Skechers she wore now.

            “Well, one of us has to be the better dressed one.” Faye said, taking in the red varnish over the blue and purple and pink.

            “Where did you get that anyway?”

            Faye feigned nonchalance. “This old thing?”

            Rach laughed. “I know you haven’t worn it before. This isn’t a first date, y’know?”

            “Does that mean I have a chance at third base?”

            “We’ll see.”

            “Heather Sweet. She made this.”

            “Heath… pinup girl?”

            “Well, more riot girl than anything. But, yeah. She makes this stuff.”

            “Well, it’s sexy as hell.”

            “Thank you.”

            The EVO moved through the side streets cautiously. Gotta fix that brake light.

            They were moving into the downtown area. Delacroix Avenue wasn’t busy at peak traffic, but was desolate now.

            “Where the hell are we going anyway? Neither one of us is dressed to kill our own food.” Rach stared out at the banks of trees that were becoming more frequent.

            “Just trust me.”

            “Where have I heard that before?”

            Faye pulled the car over to the curb where a young man wearing a bowtie scurried around to the driver’s side. Rach stared on in disbelief as Faye handed the keys to him. Rach’s door was opened for her by another similarly bowtied individual.

            Faye grabbed Rach’s hand with a squeeze of worry as they drove the EVO around the corner.

            “Valet?”

            “They don’t have regular parking. Just hope they don’t go joyriding.”

            A ticket was produced, which Faye secreted in her purse. Together they walked towards the door. Rach taking a larger step and swinging the door open before stepping inside.

            The door’s swing caught Faye on her left shoulder. Pain exploded as she let out an explosive cry. Rach swung around and rushed back to Faye.

            “Oh, shit. You okay?”

            “Yeah.” Faye reached up with a gloved hand and rubbed at the point of impact. Touching the spot made her realize in an instant what had happened.

            Did going native make you forget what home was like. When together with Tim, Bobbie lived an almost sci fi existence. Doors opened, chairs pulled out, beverages prepared…

            Rach’s worried face scattered those thoughts, pink and blue mixed like the decorations of paternal twins. And how could you not love that face?

            Faye turned to her girlfriend and nodded with an overacted ‘Thank You’  as Rach held the door. Once inside, The Hostess stood there looking curiously at the two girls.

            “Hi,” Faye said with a small wave. “Valentine, party of two?”

            Looking down the list the hostess seemed to have a problem for a second.

            “Babe.” Rach said, finally taking in her surroundings. She was reminded of the restaurants her father frequented. “What’s going on?”

            “Oh, late reservation. Welcome to Maison Du La Terre, this way please.” The hostess led them through an elegant dining area with linens and…

            Expensive silver… Rach noted. Faye would never think of coming to a place like this. She twisted the corner of her mouth up. Chicken and Waffles.

            Faye moved forward and pulled a chair out. Maybe it works both ways. Rach stared at Faye for a moment, hesitant.

            Gesturing with her eyes, Rach got the point and sat down. Faye pulled out her own chair and sat.

            “Now.” Rach whispered. “What the hell are we doing here?” The business suits and expensive wine surprised her and made her more than a little nervous.

            Faye softened her face. “I… I wanted to tell you I’m sorry. I know you’ve heard this before, but I really haven’t been myself lately.”

            “You’re starting to sound like a skipped CD.” And Rach would know, how many ripped CDs had she scratched on purpose in an attempt to get an ‘organic remix’

            “I know. But, seriously. Playboy? What the hell was I thinking? Now I have to deal with all these plastics and Kardashian wannabees. But, job’s a job.” Faye shrugged. “Money's money is all that's money.” Rach smiled at her. She was happy to hear the snark and quips she had grown so used to over the last year. Faye reached into her purse and pulled out a small slip of paper. Putting it on the table, she slid it across to Rach. “You left this at the house. That was a fun day.”

            Rach put her other hand on top of Rach’s as she reached out for the photo.

            “The Playboy shoot comes out in July. Graduation’s next year. Allegra dropped me over the whole Playboy thing.” Rach’s eyes widened.

            “What? How can you afford…”

            Faye waved off her comment. “I got paid a lot for that last shoot. I’ll be fine. She’ll come to her senses eventually Still can’t believe I’m gonna have to deal with it.”

            Water glasses were filled and menus produced. Faye didn’t open hers.

            “You’re not even gonna look? Place like this?”

            Faye reached over and closed Rach’s menu forcefully.

            “I know exactly what to order.”

             ***

            Roxx inhaled hard through one nostril so the bullet could dispense the premeasured amount of cocaine contained in the loading scoop, she went back to teasing her hair. Yesterday, Ashley had remarked how she could tell how far into the work week they were by her hair. The partial quasi-beehive she wore throughout the week got bigger as she approached midweek, only to have it deflated  again by Tuesday.   

            Ashley had been a bit of a party animal, always asking her to go and drink with the other girls after work. Eventually Roxx found out that it was because they liked her drugs better than the regular delivery guy’s product, which Roxx didn’t understand at all, considering they used the same supplier. With Kim, it was easy to understand her level of intoxication, it was obvious Kim wouldn’t be as high as Roxx was.

            But these girls are hardened veterans. There was no way that she wasn’t getting the same effects. As much as everyone complimented her on her shit, it was never more than mid grade to her. The green bikini top with the bloodshot eyeballs on them needed to be adjusted. The matching thong sat perfectly nestled and tied in the back.

            “Roxx,” Ashley called. “You’re up.”

            Roxx sighed and thought about changing her name back. Felony Melanie?  She boarded the platform and hit the green button.

            Vesuvius had a large replica of the titular volcano behind the stage that had steps built into it out of brushed metal. The girls rose from the broken summit amidst red lights. The pounding industrial seeped into Roxx’s bones as her hip cocked rhythmically to the clanging beat. Hydraulics hissed as the platform rose. The patrons burst into multicolored confetti as their desires became as plain as the noses on their faces.

            She gripped the pole and started her first lap, finally feeling the rhythm. Roxx climbed the pole all the way to the top. Using her thighs; she held herself as she arched backwards to grab with her hands overhead to catch the pole and complete the loop, her legs catching her momentum. A slow spiral descent completed her journey back to the floor, where the color signature of the crowd changed.

            Crawling and gyrating along the tipping rail had various hands sliding sweaty pieces of paper into the thong, the tips that constituted most of her pay. The music neared the end of its play as Roxx made her way back to the pole for a final climb. From a sitting position, she let herself drop nearly to the floor, using her thighs once again to stop the fall. Their strength gripping the metal surface. Dismounting, she waved with a pasted on smile to the crowd and blew a kiss before disappearing.

            Exit… stage left.

            “Jenny, you’re up.” Roxx called as she made it back to the dressing room. She inhaled another measured dose of the cocaine as the world of color went back to a dull blue tinged monochrome.

             ***

            The salad plates had been cleared. Faye watched Rach’s face as she stared at the skinny Maitre’d as he poured in the brandy with a practiced flourish. He gently shook the pan, allowing the flame from the gas burner to catch the alcohol rich liquid.

            FWOOM!

            Rach gave a delighted grin. Zoe would probably like this too, pyro that she is. When the cream and parsley were added, the plates were dressed. Faye and Rach watched eagerly as the plates were placed in front of them.

            Faye had ordered the Steak Diane for two. She knew she didn’t have the knowhow to make the dish after switching back, all that information about food just elusive. Faye was sure she could still pull the information up, but not at the speed it required. Bet that fades in a few days, too.

            The tiny  fingerling potatoes gave off a scent of buttery rosemary, and the spring vegetable medley had an air of freshness that years of frozen broccoli and peas couldn’t reproduce.

            Rach watched as the cart rolled away. “That was pretty cool.”

            “Rach.  I know it seems like I got bored or was ignoring you, Everything just kind of went to my head, and, well… reality had to make me its bitch to see it. I can’t keep saying I’m sorry, I know. But with everything going on…”

            Rach saw a moment of vulnerability behind  her irises.

            “I don’t think I can do this without you. Those people aren’t my crowd, I don’t have a crowd.”

            Faye reached a golden glove across the immaculate table. “I don’t want one, either. I want you.”

            Rach didn’t know whether to cry or laugh. It was good to hear the feelings reaffirmed. Although, she felt that Faye still wasn’t herself. Where on Earth did she pick up such a corny line.

            “You’ve been talking to Tim haven’t you? I heard you were at the bakery a couple of days ago.” She smiled as she finally cut into the  sauce covered meat.

            “This is really good.” Faye tasted hers. It was good, but there was a certain something missing. It was intangible, but the Dijon and Worcestershire seemed to be missing its zing. Everything was good, the service was impeccable. But she could tell that it could just have easily been Big Macs and Shakes.

            “So.” Rach asked. “What are we doing for Prom?  Finding an illegal party?”

            Faye shrugged, “Maybe take in a movie? Just you and me? Quiet?”

            “No booze, you get weird when you drink too much.” Rach admonished.

            “No problem there.” Faye retorted.

             ***

            Kim was wondering how in the hell Les Claypool could pull of some of the digital gymnastics required. Maybe I should go to a fretless bass. She had to keep herself busy. Idle hands are Lust’s workshop. She thought about the things Faye had said. God, things were confusing.

            It’s like some fucked up adult cartoon. Body hopping, gender swaps, sex demons…

            Sex demons. Was that what she was now? She remembered being out when Bobbie was still Faye… Before…

            Before…

            She wanted to sneak out again, but fought it back to a light hum. She could tell that Roxx was doing something, the energy flowing through her just long enough to let her know that it had been there.

            Faye was somewhere else, dormant.

            Maybe Faye had a point. This would be easier with someone else that understood. She pulled out her phone and sent a text to … Another new big sister… great. Just barely got used to the last one.

             ***

            Faye ignored the vibrating phone as the same Maitre’d passed the flame over the newly sprinkled sugar over the Crème Brulee.

            “What’s this?”

            “Crème Brulee.” The Maitre’D announced proudly.

            Faye looked at her. “Expensive Vanilla Pudding. With a crunch.” The Maitre’D looked at her with amusement as he gently placed the plates in front of them.

            Rach decided that her girlfriend… Yeah, gotta forgive her. How can I not? Look at that face. But if she screws up again

Faye was right. It was vanilla pudding. But it was great vanilla pudding.

            “I love you, Rach.”

            “I love you, too…”

            “Fay-fay.”

            After the dishes were cleared, Rach got a look at the check. She looked at Faye, wishing she could give the food back.

            Faye put her bank card into the check presenter’s slot after writing in the tip.

            “What’s 15 percent of…”

            “Oh, screw it.” Faye said, scribbling a number that looked right.

            The EVO took a long way home, devoid of Faye’s beloved dubstep. The sights and sounds made for new memories. Hopefully the first in a new chapter for both of them. They spoke of many things. Of shoes and snowboards, of mountains and molehills.

            Rach did make Faye promise to have Chicken and Waffles again. As much as she was horrified by the idea, she would.

            For Rach.

            “One thing though.” Faye pulled at the extensions. “I need to get these out.”

            “Not yet.” Rach said firmly. “I like the hair. You should  grow it out some. Bangs are cute.”

            Bangs.  Faye realized that she would be dealing with the aftermath of this for weeks.

            “Fine.” Faye rolled her eyes. “At least help me get this green shit out. I miss the pink. Frankie’s good, but the whole thing is more fun when we do it.”

            They held each other and kissed goodnight in front of Rach’s house. Faye felt relieved. It wasn’t the same as being held by Tim. But it was so very close, that it would do. The warm evening was dark and silent as an ancient silence played between them, leaving them both feeling.

            …loved.

             ***

            “Right! Come and get me you pommy bastard!!” The man on the screen shouted while gripping a lit road flare. As if  on command, a small grey blob dropped from the trees and rolled to its feet quickly. The low squelchy growl sounded as the creature bounded towards one of the few survivors.

            He threw the flare down hard, turned and ran the opposite direction. When the Koalalike creature crossed the survivor’s old position, the flare ignited the lighter fluid, resulting in a tiny ball of flame.

            The Drop Bear began to shriek. In the distance, he could hear the others. They were coming.

            He pulled out the nearly empty jar of Vegemite and began frantically rubbing it on himself.

            The Land Rover loomed ahead. Getting inside was all that mattered. The girl lay on the back seat, a towel sopping up the blood from her wounds.   

            “Not over yet, mate.” He said, gunning the engine to life and spitting sand, they sped away into the hot Outback sun.

            Bobbie had availed herself of another handful of Tim’s latest creation. Maple Bacon Popcorn residue was still sticky on his hand, but Bobbie didn’t care. She was staring at the screen intently. Tim startling her at the occasional quiet moment just to make her jump.

            There was a scream and some noise, but they missed it, they were deeply lost in each other by the time the survivors managed to get to the city and be safe. The kissing had started before the Land Rover even started its engine.

            “Fine, gonna have to see the second one.” Bobbie admitted.

            “See?” Tim said. “So no vegemite cupcakes, right?”

            Bobbie laughed. “Blecch. Good God, no.”

            Holding Tim and being held wiped away thoughts of Drop Bears and Thralls. Bobbie was just happy to be the girl she was supposed to be. The familiar smell of wood and leather stirred something inside Bobbie’s mind.

            Everything’s going to be alright, it’s so good to be back.

            Bobbie smiled at Tim. “I’ve got to get, school tomorrow.”

            Tim looked down at her with a knowing look. “Can’t wait for Friday.”

            “Friday?”

            Tim rolled his eyes. “Prom, silly.”

            “Right.” She laughed. “Keep forgetting.”           

            “C’mon.” Tim said. “Let’s get you home.”

            Bobbie had to hold down the excitement that she felt whenever she anticipated a Vespa ride. Everything was going back to some semblance of normalcy, she just hoped it would hold.

            Chapter 74                                                                                                                                        

            Kim was downing the last of her coffee when she heard the horn. Faye had agreed to giving her a ride. The tone of the message left little room for argument, she needed to be ready. She bolted out the door and made sure to secure the deadbolt behind her.

            She must be doing okay if she’s driving that. Maybe I should listen to her.

            “So, why so early?” Kim asked, swinging her leg into the vehicle. “Haven’t had breakfast yet. Just not together.”

            Faye chirped the tires as the car stuttered to a start.“Figured we should talk. Especially now that we’re all back where we belong.” Faye took her hand from the steering wheel to hand Kim a white bag. “Figured it was early for you. Got breakfast.”

            “Thanks.” Kim murmured, accepting the sandwich.

            “Look, I know about you, and Bobbie.” Faye let the silence hang for a moment.

            “And Robb…”

            Kim nearly choked.

            “Oh, yeah. I know all about it. We have a lot in common. I mean, we’re nothing alike…”

            Kim furrowed her brow.

            Faye shook her head from side to side. “Lust did this to me, too. Can’t say I totally hate it. But this really wasn’t in the plan.”

            Interrupting, Kim said. “What was that trick you pulled that she keeps talking about?”

            “I embraced it. I became. In the end, I found my road. You have to find yours.”

            Faye shrugged as she continued. “I think we can help each other. One thing, though.”

            “Hmmm?” Kim hummed, mouth still full of the morning cholesterol.

            “I don’t want you doing that Vulcan mind meld shit with me.”

            “Huh?” Kim said, a shred of Canadian Bacon hanging from her mouth.

            “Whatever that calming touch thing is. I don’t want any part of it.” Faye swung the car to a stop about a block from the school.

            They continued talking, mostly about the colors. Kim made it sound simple, innate.

            Blue for sadness

            Yellow for fear

            Violet for lust

            Pink for passion

            Kim was sure there was also something about how the colors moved against each other, she hadn’t figured it all out yet. Faye found some pieces of information to be better than the ones she didn’t have yesterday.

            While Faye was learning about whatever it was that made her see the hallucinatory patches of colors. Kim was getting the rundown on who Lust really was.

            “I stopped her, thought she was dead. But…” Faye gestured to Kim. “Apparently not.”

            “So why is Bobbie different?”

            “Lust didn’t do her. Justice did. Don’t ask. Not too sure I understand it all either.”  

"Look, if you need help, just gimme a call or something. Not sure what help I can give... But, I’m sure Lust is easier to face if you’re not alone.”

"Or something?"  Kim asked, her mind in the gutter.

"Fuck, I dunno." Faye groaned. "Fire a signal flare. Develop telepathy and go full Charles Xavier."

"Why would I need that?" Kim asked curiously. "This isn't like one of Bobbie's werewolf movies, right?"

Faye rolled her eyes. this was just as awkward as she'd been expecting it to be. "There's just....fuck...ever since I got back to my body, half the day I've been so horny I could tear Nick’s clothes off with my teeth. And I'm pretty sure that wasn't a feature before this whole thrall bullshit with Bobbie.  "

Kim felt a smile pull at her lips. Faye was honest to the point where it was comical, despite the gravity of the situation. "Ummm...yeah. Now I see where you're coming from."

"Thank god." Faye visibly relaxed a little.

"But what are we supposed to do if we're together and feeling all worked up?"

"I dunno..." Faye stared out the window, looking slightly dejected. "Start a tumblr blog?"

            Kim exploded with laughter. Snickering, she pictured two barely dressed girls answering questions about cats.

            “It’s been getting easier to get on top of. I just have to concentrate on something. Been using the bass, keeps me focused.”

            “Well, that’s good. I play fighting games, so I see your point.” Faye looked at the screen of her phone. “Well, we best get the rest of the way there. Can’t be late today. Ditching at lunch. ”

            Kim smiled. “Ditching? Now we’re talking.”

            “Calm down. I’m ditching, I have a work thing tonight, no thanks to Bobbie.”

            “Awww.”

            “Go find your own ditching partner. I’d rather sit through Agee’s class than go to this thing.”

            Faye found Kim spunky, a little closer to the girls that she had become familiar with. She knew she had to try to help Kim. Bobbie, being an Advocate didn’t give her all the tools she would need to do so.

            Although I may be in a unique position to help. Faye laughed inwardly as she realized that there was some residual Bobbie left. Watching Kim walk off towards the campus proper, Faye was thankful that she felt a need to help.

            Well, someone has to. She remembered telling Bobbie, “Any lesson I have to teach can’t be a good thing. I was just happy to able to get that green out. Glad I was able to get the pink back in. Fucking Bobbie. Now Rach wants me to keep the bangs…” She didn’t know why she was telling Kim all of this. Most messed up teacher/student relationship since… ever.

            Faye suppressed a laugh as she thought about how, even now…

            The Professor was teaching yet another class.

             ***

            Bobbie had decided to take a day off from school and uncyclone the house. The two weeks Bobbie spent making one bad choice after another like it was a contest had built up a layer of dust, and a couple of clean spots where the laundry had been.

            There, now I’ve gone and done it. Guess I’m gonna have to do the whole thing.

            It was sweaty work, as Delacroix was moving into the warmer season. The  vacuum was rumbling as the various debris and dust that was left embedded in the carpet. Finally stopping for a break, she set the coffee maker up with a double strong pot. She had the spoon resting in her mouth, still coated with the last of the sweetened condensed milk which she scooped out of the can, sure to get every last drop.

            She refilled the two empty ice trays and waited for the brew.

            Bedroom’s done. In hindsight, she was glad that Frankie had done the green. Bobbie couldn’t imagine cleaning up after that mess. Although it would hardly be noticeable, given Faye’s penchant for ‘Mood Hair’.

            Nick came out in his underwear, before looking up and seeing Bobbie. Running back without touching the ground, he began stammering. “Shit. Sorry, Bobbie. Didn’t think…”

            Bobbie laughed. “It’s casual. Just needed to clean up, get out of school for a minute.” She looked on as he straightened his shirt. She noticed that his darkness, while still tailored, was a little lighter today.

            Bobbie poured the coffee into the pitcher and gave a stir with a long wooden spoon before pouring two glasses and bringing one to Nick. She was somewhat nervous, this being her first time alone with him…

            Since…

            “Thanks, Bobbie.” Nick said, taking a long swallow.

            “So, how’s everything with Faye?”

            “Well, I was nervous last night after she got home in that dress. But then she tier whored and teched my ass so thoroughly that you would have thought it was her job. She punched me in the arm, called me an asshole and went to bed.”

            Bobbie took a measured sip. The tight darkness seemed almost plaid with its geometrical precision. I messed him up badly. She wanted to tell him, to explain…

            But, what good would that do?

            “She’s playing like it didn’t happen.” Nick said, setting down his glass. “I’ll be okay. After my arm heals. I swear, you two.”

            Bobbie turned back to the kitchen.

            Nick turned on his game console and waited for the game to load. “Gotta practice. Cannot let her just keep flinging me around like a rag doll.”

            Bobbie was happy that Nick could go on making jokes and continuing to practice. Knowing the truth still tugged at her, she just hoped that Nick and Faye could be like peas and carrots again.

             ***

            “The common European Toad is one of the amphibious species that mates through the act of amplexus.” Dr. Neary(It was always Doctor Neary.) was using his laser pointer to illustrate the act of mating amongst the toad population. The video continued, the smaller toad had climbed onto the larger one and tightened its grip on it.

            Kim was having those feelings again. She could feel the warmth rising as she stared on while bufo bufo continued its mating. Thoughts of being tightly held during any kind of mating act was not doing wonders for her concentration. She raised her hand.

            “Yes.” Dr. Neary said, looking a touch annoyed.

            “I need to go to the bathroom.” Kim said, trying to keep the saliva in her mouth working long enough to form the words.

            Dr. Neary shut off his laser pointer and sighed. “Fine.”

            Kim got up and silently wished she carried a bigger purse for the first time in her life. Heather will have some idea, I’m sure.

            It was in the hall that she splashed some water on her face, needing the shock for the matter of seconds she needed to get the last few feet to the restroom. She fumbled for her Newports, one lone soldier presented its white filter to her.

            Shit.

            Getting the cigarette out of the pack was simple. Getting the lighter to light was not. Finally, she ripped the metal cowling off of the gas nozzle to allow a tiny pinprick of flame, just enough to catch the dried tobacco and paper.

            The door opened quietly and a timid looking girl entered, so full of blue she could have been Veruca Salt.

            It was Mary.

            She didn’t look well, tired and sad. Fucking Roxx.

            “Mary.” Kim said carefully.

            “Kim.” She said,  sounding surprised. “You… you’re back?” She looked around nervously, yello flaring brightly.

            Kim understood this one. “It’s casual. You and Roxx…”

            Mary burst into tears immediately. Kim could see the withdrawal on her face.

            Glad I slept through that.

            “She just told me to go.”  Mary said. “Never said why.”

            Kim felt sorry for her, remembering lunches with her. Before Bobbie came along. She could smell Mary, feel the strange radiation of sadness that imbued every part of her.

            SMACK!

            “Damn, couldn’t wait?” Faye said, looking similarly sweaty.

            Mary turned and looked scared. She hurried out of the room, leaving a blue vapor trail behind.

            “What’s her problem?”

            “I think she was at Roxx’s when Bobbie went there.”

            “Oh.” Faye looked back. “She gonna be…?”

            “I don’t know. She’s coming off Roxx’s drugs. Roxx makes them better somehow.”

            “Lust no doubt.”

            Kim looked at the place Mary had just vacated. “She’s so sad.”

            “Yeah, whatever.” Faye said. “What’s up with you?”

            “Doctor Neary was showing this video about toads and…”

            Faye couldn’t help but laugh.

            “Hey, it doesn’t look you’re dealing with this any better than I am. You still ditching at lunch?”

            “I already told you, find your own ditching partner.”

            “I don’t need a partner.” Kim looked at her cigarette. It had burned quite a way down. “I just need a ride. Anywhere is good. Just don’t wanna think about frog fucking all day.”

            Faye laughed again.

            “Fine, I’ll wait at the hole in the fence for a couple of minutes. Be there, I’m not waiting long.”

            “Thanks.” Kim said, heading back to class for the last few minutes before the impossible mission of escaping Delacroix Junior Penitentiary would begin.

             ***

            Bobbie was finally done with her cleaning, for the first time since she had arrived everything was hanging up. Feeling accomplished, she decided to make  lunch, seeing all of Faye’s diet supplies in the refrigerator made her feel guilty.

            She cooked some chicken breast and mixed the cut up pieces of meat with spinach, walnuts, and dried cranberries. A handful of blue cheese crumbles went into the bowl next, after a good and vigorous tossing with a raspberry vinaigrette, it was finished.

            “Nick, hungry?”

            Looking over from the game. “Huh? Oh, yeah.”

            Nick looked at the salad strangely.

            “Faye’s on a diet, thought I should help.”

            “Usually if I see this much green in anything, it’s mold. There’s none of the stuff you found growing in there in this, is there?”

            Bobbie laughed. “It’s good, trust me.”

            Nick dug in, getting a little bit of everything in the first load. He nodded approval. Bobbie started on her salad as well.

            Lunch was interrupted by the telltale tones of muffled dubstep and the sound of not one, but two car doors.

            “Hey Nick.” Faye yelled, only to notice him at the table.

            “Hey.” Nick yelled back.

            “Oh, I’m home. Taking off tonight and I… what’s this?”

            “Lunch.” Bobbie said. “I feel bad about you on that diet. Thought I could help.”

            “Salad?” Faye said.

            “It’s good.” Nick said.

            Kim entered behind Faye unannounced.

            “Kim?” Bobbie said.

            “Yeah.” Faye said, trying the salad from the bowl. “She asked for a ride. This is good.” She finished, not waiting to finish chewing before speaking.

            “Kim.” Bobbie said, acknowledging her. “Ditching again?”

            “Yeah. Just couldn’t take class anymore today. Dr. Neary was….bothersome today.”

            Faye scooped some of the salad into a smaller bowl and sat at the table.

            “Kim?” Nick asked. “You’re Kim? Are you okay?”

            “Yeah. I’m fine.” She waved her hand. “Just wanted a break.”

            Bobbie eyed Kim suspiciously.

            “I have that party tonight.” Faye looked right at Bobbie. “You know how it is.” Bobbie was positive that there was at least a quarter eyeroll in there.

            “That I do.” Bobbie replied.

            Faye finished her salad and put her bowl into the sink. “I’m gonna get ready, might take a bit.”

            Nick stared into his salad. “Well, if I have any hope of using the bathroom, better do it now.”

            Nick was up and down the hall in two long strides. Bobbie looked at Kim with narrowed gaze.

            “What are you doing here?”

            “Chill out. I just couldn’t take anymore of Neary’s frog fucking lecture. Dammit, is this how it’s always gonna be?”

            “Probably, if Faye is any indication.” She looked down. “This is all my fault.”

            “Stop blaming yourself. I took those pills. I fucked Roxx. I just fucked up. Now, I have to deal with it. Faye seems to be okay.”

            “Great.” Bobbie said. “Good sis/Bad sis?”

            Kim laughed. “Hey. I’ll take what I can get.”

            Bobbie sighed.

            Kim lowered her voice. “Who’s he? He’s kinda cute.”

            Bobbie’s face hardened. “Don’t even think about it.” She looked back down the hall.

            “What are you gonna do?” Kim was defiant.

            “Not me. Faye. She’ll stab you into submission with something dull. I already fucked that up. Not my best moment.”

            “Save it for Heather, and before you look at me like that. Remember, I’ve worn the mark too. I know what it can do.”

            Nick re entered the room and took up his regular seat.

            “Up for a match, Bobbie?”

            “Sure.” She said. “Should probably teach Kim. I have a feeling you’re gonna be seeing more of her.”

            “No problem. If she picks it up like you did, Faye’s gonna have a lot more dishes to do.”

             ***

            Roxx was using a small measuring spoon to scoop the cocaine onto the piece of paper she had sitting on the scale. Remember, more half grams. These assholes don’t want any left when they go home. It was true, she had spent too long last night in the bathroom breaking her gram bags in two.

            The Russians that owned the club had caught her trying to sell to the other girls. Boris and his partner Yevgeniy were  not happy.

            Until someone tried what she was selling. She had told them that that was the last from her old connection, they were gone now. Busted. Which was true, busted by his friend after he had spent some quality time with her. Who knew what some of these people thought?

            Now, she had everything parceled out. These men didn’t look like the kind of people that could be easily distracted by a quick blowjob. The sex was much different now, born of necessity, rather than passion. Oh, the passion existed, but there was an artificalness to it. A plasticy, sickly sweet layer that was both cloying and superarousing.

            Last one. Roxx curled the paper between her fingers and tapped it’s cargo into the tiny ziplock bag. She ran the paper along her tongue as one would a stamp and let the touch of numbness spread. She pulled the cigarette from behind her ear. She turned to the marijuana that she needed to separate into grams as well. Fuckers would give me two ounces, just so I have that extra gram to bag up.

            Roxx idly wondered who’s  brilliant idea it was to have ounces come out to 28 and a half grams?

            Lukewarm… who’s Luke anyway? And why does he get to decide to tell us what warm is? Robb’s voice, telling yet another of his stupid and endearing jokes.

            Are you sure she’s not getting revenge on you this way?      

            She looked down at the scale, she had overweighed. Glancing at the clock, she realized she needed to hurry if she wanted any more sleep before going to the club. The grind of being Roxx seemed to finally set in. Without a light at the end of the tunnel, the victory seemed hollow.

            Sealing the bag, she also gave a random thought at how much she hated the music. The dryer at the Laundromat sang a repeating pattern that couldn’t help but sound like the hard, industrial techno that Vesuvius bumped through its massive sound system.

            She crushed out her cigarette and went back to the tedious labor of perfectly weighing out a substance that didn’t understand the idea of perfect.

             ***

            “Seriously?” Kim asked. Heather held out the short yellow dress.

            “Look, she’s gonna expect somebody in a dress. C’mon?” Heather looked hopefully at Kim

            Kim rolled her eyes.  Just do it, you know she’ll wanna make it up to you later. “Fine, but only because you came to get me from Faye’s. Looked like you couldn’t wait to get out of there.”

            “Just wanted to avoid the traffic.” Heather lied, yellow flaring again.

            “Besides,  you’re gonna look great. Have I ever steered you wrong?”

            Kim sighed. She had known Heather too long to know that this was a ‘pick your battles’ moment.

            Besides, an echo of the old Kim spoke submentally.

            You kind of owe her.

            Kim grudgingly took the dress and went to change.

 ***

            Bobbie was looking for the wintergreen extract. The early batches of Root Beer cookies tasted good. But the dough tasted better. She figured that the wintergreen was evaporating out, so a couple of extra drops should work.

            Tim was still playing with the ice cream maker. Not all the flavors had been winners. Some were downright strange. He was proudest of the Carrot Habanero, unfortunately finding a way to use it was problematic to say the least. He was convinced that The Shelton might pick it up, it was just avante garde enough without being pretentious.

            …or so he said.

            “These are gonna sell really well, especially when it gets hot. Glad Mom found such a good deal on Vanilla beans. This is killer vanilla. Those cookies will work.” Tim balled his fists and jumped up and down.

            “Someone’s had too much sugar.” Beth looked at him, hoping he was right. She loved root beer floats. The idea of one that couldn’t spill fascinating to her.

            “You’re probably right. The coffee hasn’t helped either.

            “C’mon.” Bobbie said. “Put some of that energy to use and start crushing macadamia nuts.” She grabbed a nearby meat mallet and handed him the solid chunk of metal.

             ***

            “Can’t believe Mom’s coming home today.”

            Kim saw the yellow glow like it had been turbocharged.

            “You gonna be okay?”

            Heather reached out and took Kim’s hand.

            “With you here? Yeah.”

            Kim kissed at her hand. Heather smiled, the yellow dulled a little.

            The rest of the ride to the airport was mostly quiet, luckily the flight was late enough for them to avoid most if not all of the last of the rush hour traffic. It seemed; however, that the traffic had all bunched up by the terminals.

            “Figures that Qantas has the farthest terminal.” Heather said aloud as she fed some bills into the parking meter. “Getting inside isn’t gonna be fun.” The two girls looked at the throng of people, each waiting to be reunited with someone.

            As much as she was looking forward to seeing her mother, she wasn’t. She had decided to tell her about her feelings, and it terrified her to no end.

            Heather Sweet, the take charge girl that always knew and got what she wanted now let the frightened little girl closer to the fore than she normally did. Kim saw it, and knew what it was all about. She was just glad that she  could be there with her friend… Girlfriend?

            There was a wait that took seemingly forever before Betty Sweet strode towards them, luggage in tow.

            “Heather!” Betty said, spreading her arms and letting the shoulder bag drop. The hug  hung in the air for a second.

            “What did you do to your hair?”

            “I cut it.” Heather said dryly.

            “Well, obviously.” Betty smiled. “It’s cute. I like it.”

            Heather looked shocked. “Really?”

            “Yeah.” Even though they had been separated for months, Mother could still see that something was amiss. When the embrace broke, Betty turned to Kim. “Kim? Hi.”

            “Hi, Ms. Sweet.”

            “Almost didn’t recognize you. Beautiful dress.”

            “Thanks.” Kim said. She twitched a thumb at Heather.

            “You made that?” Betty asked,  smiling at Heather. “You’ve come a long way. C’mon, let’s get home.” Betty said, hugging her daughter again. “Don’t want you two missing school on my account.”

             ***

            Faye was making her second lap when she heard her name.

            “Faye!!”  As she turned to the sound, the green dress rotated with her  as if woven from living fibers.

            Faye turned around to see red hair and a kind face. She raised the golden glove to wave.

            “It’s me, Ailie? Ye remember me?”

            “Yeah.” Faye lied. Some notes would have been nice, Bobbie. “Of course…”

            “Ailie.” She chuckled. “Too many makeup artists to remember, aye? Come, I’m sure Mike would love to see ye.”

            Mike? Faye remembered that email… Mike Sobol. Great, Bobbie treating me like a mushroom, kept in the dark and fed a bunch of shit.

            “Hi.” Faye waved, a little surprised by being taken for a hug.

            “Ye would have been nice to have ‘round last couple of shoots. Heerd you made Miss July? Fast rise, aye?”

            “Aye.” Faye agreed, it seemed mocking as she said it, but it seemed to be a private joke between them as Ailie laughed.

            I bet she was in the mountains…

            The man who was obviously Mike appeared suddenly. The lightning bolts in his eyes disturbed her for a second before she realized that they had to be contacts.

            Lust has that effect on people.

            “Faye, jeez, almost feel like I should salute you now. The snowboard shoot? Billboards went up two days ago in key cities. Already a sales spike. They’re quite pleased. Hey, thought you’d like this.” He turned his head and raised his head. Waving over someone.

            The pink cowboy hat and boots had needed no introduction.

            Well well well… You must be Luka. Faye had to admit she was beautiful in that cornfed way of the large middle of the country. Probably gone on more than one hayride.

            “Faye.” Luka squealed. “See? I told you  that you should meet Leonard. Now, you’re a Playmate. I’m so proud of you.” Faye could barely focus on her, with the purple and pink mixing with a colorless manic energy.

            Faye was locked into another hug. This one blended with a whispered, “I want you.” She wanted Luka, too. Her smell filled Faye’s nostrils. Against all logic, Faye wanted her, too.

            Mike was proud of the L33ts and G33kz shoot. Especially now that he was booked up for the next three months. Advance sales of the magazine had started, and it looked like the first issue might be a collector’s item, especially now that it had a ‘before she was famous’ Playmate. Faye could see a diffuse white light surrounding him. At least Bobbie got something right.

            C’mon. She got a few things right. Not many but…

            Luka giggled. “Leonard’s here, too.” She turned to Mike. “Have you met him yet?” She craned her neck to look around. “He’s over there, I’ll get him.”

            Faye made small talk as best as she could for the minute it Luka to retrieve Leonard.

            “Faye, baby. How’s things? See you went back to pink.” Leonard indicated the newly installed pink streaks.

            “Yeah. It’s my bullshit detector. Must be going off again.”

            Mike and Ailie laughed, Leonard didn’t.

            Faye took Luka up on her offer to mingle together, silently glad that there was only one person she didn’t know trying to talk to her instead of four. Luka kept starting conversations with the other attendants. Faye tried not to vomit while the other bunnies provided evidence that they were as smart as their namesakes.

            “I’m gonna get a drink, you want one?”

            Faye thought about. Yes, definitely some alcohol. Might soak up some of this stupid.

             ***

            The sting of the straight vodka did nothing to calm Roxx’s nerves. Boris and Yevgeniy always made her toast when she came to re up. She had learned the word Nastrovya, stumbling over the rolled r. The third silent man, Nikolai, sat quietly using his clear eyes to survey the crowd. He drank club soda and said nothing.

            She accepted the envelope and stashed it in her purse.

            “Roxx.” Yevgeniy said. “You keep moving like this,  get rich like Boris.” His accent heavy.

            The redhead only wished she could agree. Roxx and Melanie had both learned their lesson the uneasy way. Get, bag, deal, collect, deliver…

            Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

            Roll, light, smoke.

            Crush, chop, snort.

            Such as it was in the Circle of Dark.

            She looked around as she got to her feet. “Thanks.” Roxx varnished on a smile. “I’m probably gonna be back on Thursday. Just wanna be ready for the weekend.”

            Boris spoke up. “Da, Krasny.” Another word she picked up… Red. “No problem. Ve see you later.” He motioned with his head. “You good dancer, strong.”

            “Keeping people happy is what I do.” She looked at them, so hard to read. Only Nikolai seemed comfortable being what he was and seeing what he had seen.

            “Is just job.” He had once said, in an uncharacteristic outburst. He had shown her pictures of his two black Scotties, Taras and Bulba. He insisted that she call him Nikki from then on. He had little to no color, as if he just was. Colors weren’t necessary to see that he had seen too much for far too long.

            Getting to the back, Roxx knew she was going to lose probably all of the old supply and a little of the new, unless it was a slow week. If it wasn’t for the tips, she’d probably be in the unenviable position of … “Carrying negative ledger.” Yevgeniy called it.

            “Hey, girl.” A voice came from her right, she had barely crossed the threshold into the faux bright colors that had faded over time into a dingy rainbow. The blues and greens made her feel as if she was drowning in an aquarium.

            It was Ruby. Her dark features and raven hair danced as the light played on the glitter she had sprinkled liberally around her eyes. Her cheeks were a little sunken. Her everpresent bottle of green juice mixed with rum in her hand, and a hundred dollar bill in the other.

            “Had a good night last night. Middle of the week is so boring. I swear, we only get the weirdoes.” She waved the bill. “Weirdoes tip good, though. At least someone thinks my feet are pretty.”

            Roxx reached into her bag and pulled out three of the gram bags and handed them over discreetly.

            “Thanks, sug.” Roxx inwardly hoped that Ruby would learn her name eventually. Taking her parcels, Ruby headed back to her makeup table.

            She had divested herself of most of the already bagged product before getting to her makeup table. After dispensing a dose from the bullet, Roxx pulled out her makeup kit and started working of the blank  canvas of her face.

            Well? Melanie? Roxx? Who do you want to be today?

            “Fuck.” Roxx sighed, if anything she felt as if she was just going through the motions. Waiting… just waiting…

            Just waiting…

            Waiting for what?

             ***

            “Hmmm.” Betty said, setting down her burger. “It is different here, they use beetroot instead of pickles there. Tart, not tangy. Just don’t eat it while wearing white. So, how’s school?”

            “Fine.” Heather said quietly as she sipped at her milkshake; while Kim was eating French fries two at a time. The nearly twenty hour flight had left Betty hungry. She wanted breakfast, still noting that her body was still on Wellington time.

            “Mom.” Heather said, setting down the dairy drink. “I wanted to talk to you about something.”

            Mentally, Heather gulped. She figured that it would be easier to avoid any scene that might happen while they were out in public. Here goes. She reached over and grabbed Kim’s greasy, salty, ketchup coated hand.

            “You know how you’re always asking about me having a boyfriend?”

            Betty held her mouthful still for a moment.

            “What if I had a girlfriend?”

            Betty swallowed and set down the sandwich.

            “You mean that’s it? That’s all?” Betty laughed. “All this time I just thought you were playing hard to get.”

            Kim nearly shot soda through her nose.

            “So.” Betty turned to Kim. “Are your intentions toward my daughter honorable?”

            Kim paled, she didn’t see anything other than Heather’s mom. She was glowing slightly with the same glow that content people had. She doesn’t care, Heather was worried for nothing.  The color returned to her face as she started to laugh.

            It was Heather’s turn to pale. Her dismayed face gave hay to a head-splitting smile. She rose and walked around the plastic table to hug her mom.

            “So what if you like girls? I just care that you’re happy.”

            Kim heard Heather start to sob quietly. “I love you, mom.”

            “Okay, okay.” Betty laughed. “Let me finish eating, and we’ll get out of here.”

            Heather smiled while looking down at her mother.

            Kim felt the positivity at the table as she continued making the pile of fries disappear.

            Looking at Heather, Kim felt happy for her friend. Especially now that the one thing she was stressed over was a moot point.

 If it ever was a point.

             ***

Leonard had presented her with an early proof copy of July’s issue. Faye flipped to the middle immediately.

“Knew you wouldn’t be able to wait to see it. Everyone’s impatient their first time.”

Faye saw Bobbie. Well, at least she took my posing advice. She was draped seductively on the couch, the open smile inviting. “Age of Page” The title had declared in a classic art deco font. As expected, the prose was absurd. Designed for those that read lingerie catalogs one handed.

Turn ons: science fiction, cartoons?

She wanted to slap at her forehead. Fuck me running.  Faye realized that her minor geekiness was now out and part of the world.  I may have to actually start hiking now.  The photography was good, the slick paper moved next to her fingertips. Faye looked at her own body in an alien way.

Luka arrived carrying two highball glasses. “Here ya go, Faye.” Luka handed the drink over. “Two fingers of Bulleit, one of Chambord, and a splash club soda, splash of bitters. See? I remember.” She smiled, sipping.

Faye sipped cautiously, the raspberry flame taking over for the vaporous bite of the bourbon. Luka’s lopsided grin had told the tale of at least one previous drink. Geez, Bobbie. Is it always complicated with you?

“Surprised they came out as well as they did.” Leonard said. He turned to Mike. “You had the Van Der Haven shoot, right?”

“Yeah. Faye stood in for one of the other models that was supposed to be there. Those came out great.” Mike swung his lightning colored gaze at Faye. “You got the email, right.”

“Yeah. I did.” Faye said, leaving Mike unsure if the taste of the alcohol or something else.

They continued talking. Faye found Mike more down to earth, while Leonard seemed douchebaggier-than-thou. Bet he has an  Ed Hardy under that shiny dress shirt. Vapid conversation prevailed as she broke and wandered amongst the bunnies like a ravenous wolf, wishing to drain their precious bodily fluids. Bourbon wasn’t helping one bit, if anything, it only made the mark seem to burn hotter.

“Faye.” A harsh whisper alerted her to something at her right. Turning to more blonde hair, she had a hard time recognizing…     

Right hand, pink cowboy hat… Luka.

“Let’s get out of here.”

Through the slight film of stupefying intoxication, Faye couldn’t understand how anyone in human history had ever had a better idea.

The two models bade farewell to Mike and Ailie, and Leonard. Faye wasn’t looking forward to having to deal with this level of people for the next year.

But Luka, I can deal with. Faye thought drunkenly as she was led out to the parking lot.

 ***

Kim had left the car and was walking back to her house. Betty noticed that Heather couldn’t stop staring at her.

“You really like her, don’t you?”

“Always did. She was just so cool, and funny, and cute. She’s just rad.”

“Rad?” Betty laughed, “Still with the old slang, huh?”

“Nothing’s changed.”

“Says you.” Betty quipped. “Seems weird to sit on this side with no steering wheel now.”

“I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same.”

Heather put the car in gear and drove away slowly, she lowered her sunglasses.

The house was dark when they returned. Heather helped Betty move her luggage and helped get her comfortable. “Eighteen hours from Sydney. Slept through some of it. Fighting the urge to have tea. Still afternoon for me.”

“I’m gonna go to bed then.”

“Heather.” Betty said slowly.

“Yeah, mom?”

“You’re my daughter. I love you, who you are. You can tell me anything, you know that, right?”

“I know mom. Just wasn’t sure how to tell you this. Especially with you gone. I just…”

Betty laughed. “I never told you this, but your ‘aunt’?”

Heather put on a puzzled expression.

“She was my girlfriend.”

“What?”

Betty’s laughter continued. “I like girls, too. Oh, sure, I like guys, but…”

“You’re bi?” Heather exploded with dismay.

“Figured I’d tell you when you grew up. And you did.”

“Now, tell me about everything that’s happened since I’ve been gone. Sounds like you have a lot to tell.”

Heather smiled and sat down. The stories began with the day Kim brought Bobbie over.

 ***

Roxx slung her purse over her shoulder and waved goodbye to the other girls. Tuesdays suck. That was all she was thinking as she walked out of Vesuvius just in time to watch the tacky neon give its death rattle as the illumination died down. She lit a cigarette and started the walk home.

“Fucking bitch.” Roxx heard, before she could get her head around, pain exploded in her left jaw. She fell in a heap to the ground. “Thought I wouldn’t find you, huh? You go off and fuck Benny, leaving me to twist in the wind? Well fuck you.” Something flashed as light glinted off of his hand.

Knife. Panic rose in Roxx, the sight of the weapon made her begin to flail, hoping to get an arm or leg free to get a shot in. A small part of her demanded that she not fight. Just let it happen.

A wet, meaty thump jarred Roxx’s eyes open as the assailant fell over, carrying his weight with him.

Opening her eyes, Roxx saw the sweetest sight she’d ever seen.

Nikolai… No, Nikki. She saw him holster his gun.

Shakily, Roxx got to her feet. Pulling out another cigarette with trembling hands, she fumbled for her lighter. She saw the red mess spreading out slowly from where he had clubbed her former supplier.

“Roxx? Okay?” Nikki said.

“Yeah, thanks Nikki.” Roxx said, finally getting the lighter to light by using both hands.

“Need taxicab?” The big man asked.

Roxx thought of her own blood spreading out on the concrete and she shivered. She thought about the money and product she had on her person, she shivered a little more. “Yeah. Probably a good idea.”

Roxx remained shaky until she secured the deadbolt back at her apartment. Where she calmly put down her things.

And collapsed into a crying mess on her filthy couch.

 ***

Luka’s choice of music was getting on Faye’s nerves. Country’s bad enough, but old country? The violins and slide guitar sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard. Faye was wishing that she brought the EVO, while the limo  was nice the general phoniness of the room eventually got to her. The blonde girl’s choice in music, coupled with her easy going nature, made her seem more genuine.

“I haven’t stopped thinking about you since… that guy…”

“His name’s Nick.”

“Right. Anyway…” Luka shifted the Karmann-Ghia into third gear as she pulled off the road and onto one of the many trails that wound through the rural areas outside of Delacroix proper.

The lights sat distant as their small geometetries giving ways to larger ones. Crosses, squares and circles competing in a mad dash for the center and getting hopelessly tangled along the way.

“Where are we going?” Faye asked suspiciously.

Luka smiled a wicked grin at Faye. “This time, no interruptions.” The Cessna-like rumble of the engine spooned a rapid thrum into her ears.

Faye had managed to hold it all back, knowing that holding out would finally work its way out in the night. A shameful series of thoughts made her think about how maybe Nick wouldn’t mind so much if only…

What the fuck is wrong with you, remember what happened last time?

Yeah, but if it was me instead of.

My god, can you even hear yourself?

Who? You? Yeah, piss off… I’m busty…..busy… busy, dammit.

And Rach?

Faye felt a twinge of guilt that threatened to become a full blown sprain of guilt

You two just got back together. Faye’s own voice took on a condescending tone.

Patsy Cline’s slide guitar faded out, and Hank Williams’ slide guitar started.

Hey, good lookin’

Whatcha got cookin’

Hows about cooking somethin’ up with me-eeeee

Luka was  walking seductively towards Faye.

Godammit, Bobbie. The mark burned with focused intensity, arousal overtaking her in a blaze of...

Damn, she’s cute. Faye was mesmerized by the way she moved, the wan cast of the car’s headlights.

She’ll never know. Thoughts of Rach drifted over the country music. Luka was closer

The music faded from Faye’s hearing as Luka’s lips came down hard on Faye’s. A hand slid down Faye’s side. The heat subsided from Faye’s skin just enough to justify continuing the kiss.

“I came prepared this time.” Her drawl promised something,

Something wonderful…

Faye led Luka around to the back of the car and open the trunk. Luka pulled out an odd folded bundle, which she threw on the ground. She quickly stooped and flipped a switch.

“No fair peeking.” Luka said, going back to the impromptu makeout session. Faye didn’t know how long had passed, but she looked down to see a squat, dark rectangle. Faye looked at Luka quizzically.

Luka smiled a smile as wide as country sunshine. “Told ya I came prepared. Air mattress. Back home, when I find someone  I want to spend time with, this is how I do it.”

She pouted sexily. “Usually, there’s a campfire and s’mores.” She pulled out a limp joint. “This will just have to do.” Faye’s mind responded more to the thoughts of melted chocolate and gooey marshmallow clinging sensually to supple curves.

Faye shook her head as she smiled awkwardly. “I, uh… I quit. Contract thing.”

“Oh.” Luka said, disappointed.

The rising and fading burning of the mark made Faye moved closer to her and stroked her slender arm. “But that doesn’t mean…”

Just gonna go for it, huh? What’s Rach gonna say?

Nothing, who’s gonna tell her? You? The rationalization may have worked for the moment. Even while it was going on, she knew that there was going to be a price for this.

Fuck it, put it on the card. Rates can’t be that high.

Right?

            “I was so excited to see you again, I Luka smilingly said. “You’re sexy and confident. I thought so from when we first met…”

 “Shut up.” Faye  hushed with a kiss as she pulled the country girl down to the inflatable cushion’s fuzzy surface.

 

Chapter 75

            Bobbie woke to find Faye coming in late.

            “How was the party?” Bobbie asked, genuinely wanting to know. She was pretty sure that Faye would enjoy it.

            “Lifeless. Kind of like Ramen. Pretty packages…” Faye’s guilt was as plain as the nose on her face. “No substance. I did find Luka interesting.”

            Bobbie snapped her head up. “You met Luka?”

            “Yeah. She brought an air mattress this time?”

            Bobbie suppressed a laugh. “Wait… you…?

            “Faye looked down”“What? She’s cute. Apart from her horrible taste in music.”

            Bobbie smiled quirkily. “Nothing wrong with a little Patsy Cline.”

            Faye made a gagging motion with a finger. “I just…. Had to….”

            Bobbie held up a hand. “I remember.” She pointed a finger towards Nick’s bedroom. “So does he.”

            Faye moved hair over one shoulder. How long am I gonna have to keep these in? Guilt would make it longer. Damage control plus guilt…Mega Combo!!!

            “Rach. Fuck.”

            Bobbie looked at her sternly. “Look, I can’t be judgmental. I understand now.” She tapped her temple.

            “And I think you do, too.”

            “I do. I’m still gonna feel bad about it. It was just…. Geez, this kind of thing doesn’t happen with your friends.”

            Faye grinned a little. “Your friends are too square.”

            It was Bobbie’s return grin. “They kind of are, yeah. Back when I was…” She stopped.

            “Voldemort?”

            “Ha ha.” Bobbie mocked. “You know.”

            “I just couldn’t connect with anyone, until Melanie.” Bobbie got wistful.

            “You mean Roxx.”

            Bobbie sighed. “I couldn’t save her. Couldn’t save myself.”

            “But, I can try again. “ Bobbie’s face got very serious.

            “I’ll get it right this time.”

            Faye straightened. “Well, big bad Bobbie is in town.” She felt her heart tug as she heard the Vespa pull up to the apartment.

            “And big bad Bobbie needs to get to school.”

            “I don’t get it. You have the bakery and Tim. Why are you still doing this?”

            Bobbie’s face softened.“School? Something I have to do. Something he didn’t finish.”

            Faye nodded approval. “Fair enough. I… I didn’t know… him. But I know you.  He’d be proud of you.”

            Bobbie nodded.“I’ve gotta run, I’ll see ya. Taking another day off?” Bobbie said with smile that playfully judged.

            “Yeah. Those parties can be tiring.”

            “I know.” Bobbie said as she headed out the door.

             ***

            Bobbie was finally thankful to have a day with nothing happening. All the talk was about the prom, and nobody seemed interested in doing anything. One of those lazy Spring days where even the teachers were phoning it in.

            When she didn’t find Kim before first period she worried. A text assured her that she was fine and with Heather and her mom. With a fast ‘K call l8r’, she found Beth at her locker looking at photos.

            “Beth.” Bobbie said laughing. What are you doing?”

            “Oh.” Beth brightened immediately. “Well.” She lowered her voice. “I’m not supposed to tell you this, but Steve and I are working the bakery Friday night and Saturday morning. I have a lot of work to do still on the…. Well look…”

            She swung her locker door open and invited Bobbie to see its contents. Pictures of the students were plastered all over the inside. Whoa, just a couple of candles away from a serial killer?

            “I’m trying to make all the little figures different, This cake is gonna be so cool. We’re gonna need pictures and videos and…” She suddenly stopped.

            “That’s right. You haven’t seen the videos from the Grand Opening, have you?”

            “No, I have not.”

            Beth got giddy, rocking on her heels. “So many people like us, orders, and Tim told me that he’s been able to go home and to bed by noon every day now.”

            A half snorted laugh. “But he doesn’t, he spends time coming up with something new.”

            Beth smiled. “You two…”

            Lunch was a quiet affair without Kim and Heather. Bobbie made her promised call.

            “Hey. Just didn’t wanna go today. Stayed back with Heather and Betty…”

            Betty?

            “Oh, okay…” Bobbie said, relieved.

             ***

            Hanging up the phone, Kim continued to listen to Heather gush about Bobbie. She was just past the Grand Opening when she started showing videos of that night.

            “You mean they really did it?”

            “Mom. You’ll understand when you talk to her for a few minutes. The stuff that comes out of her kitchen…”

            “Yeah.” Kim piped in. “If you don’t get diabetes from talking to her, she’ll give it to you with those cupcakes.”

            “Or those shot glasses.” Heather concluded.

            “Shots?”

            “Cookies with custard.”

            “Oh. Alright, thought you were drinking.”

            “I think I did enough for both of us.” Kim said.

            Betty laughed, not knowing the full extent of prior events. “Sounds like one fresh chick.”

            Kim rolled her eyes. “I swear I need a dictionary and a time machine.”

            Betty looked at Kim and raised her finger. “Illigimatae Nil Carborendum.”

            Heather laughed. “Don’t let the bastards grind you down.”

            Kim joined the laughter.

             ***

            The door chime went off. Hopefully for the last time today. The inventory was mostly gone, the almond butter chocolate cookies looked like the losers that day with four remaining in the case.

            A tall, lanky form stood there. The Deicide beanie acting as automatic identification.

            “Kurt?” Tim said. “Shit, what’s up, man?”

            “Came for…” He looked down at the case. “The shot glasses are gone, aren’t they?”

            “Yeah.”

            “And, well.” Kurt turned red. “I was wondering…”

            “I have a date, but didn’t get prom tickets. Where would you go?”

            Tim looked closer at Kurt. His eyes were clear. “Who is she?”

            “Amber. The guitar chick from the band.”

            “You’re not smokin’ anymore either, are you?” Tim laughed. “Looks like the drug we really wanted was a girlfriend.”

            “It’s not just that. My playing has gotten a lot better.”

            Tim heaved a sigh of relief. “Good. Honestly every time you made me wait to weigh out my stuff to play Smoke On The Water again…”

            “Hey, that’s the first song everyone learns.”

            “Still wanted to strangle you with the E string.”

            “Ha!.” Kurt said. “Joke’s on you. I had two Ds.”

            “No wonder it sounded terrible.”

            Kurt laughed. “Lemme get the rest of those cookies.”

            Tim came around the counter and grabbed two of the imported Mexican Coke(Bobbie had been firm. No High Fructose Corn Syrup, period.) bottles and popped the tops with the old bottle opener his keychain held.

            “Amber, huh? Let’s see. I don’t know, man. What worked for me might not work too well. I made her dinner and took her to a movie.”

            “Be a gentleman, but be yourself.”

            “God, now you sound like my fuckin’ mom.”

            “I’m fuckin’ serious.” Tim felt odd using the word so casually. “Open doors, pull out chairs. Be a little corny.”

            “Corny is good, shows them you care. Even if it backfires a little.”

            Kurt thought about this new information. It had always just been hookups.

            Usually because I was holding.

            It was different with Amber. Guitar lessons, just talking.

            Well I guess this is growing up.

            Tim explained his dating philosophy, with Kurt listening intently.

            “…and that’s really it. It was good seeing you, man. Keep in touch.  I need to hit the hay before she gets here. Lots of prep to do. We’re taking a night off. Mom got us a room at the Shelton.”

            Kurt’s eyes widened. “The Shelton? You guys are doing really well. Man, that’s…”

            Tim held up his hands. “I know. It’s a little expensive. But she’s worth it.”

            “You’ll know if she’s worth it.” Tim smiled.

            “And you’ll do it without question.”

            “Because the look on her face when she realizes you did it all for her….” Tim finished his Coke.

            Kurt left, wondering what they could possibly do on a night that was guaranteed to be empty while the social event of the year went on just outside the city limits.

            I’ll have to get me one one day. He had said to Tim.

            Now that he had one. What do I do with her?

             ***

            Faye was making a sandwich when her phone vibrated.

            Hey, you home? The number looked familiar, but Faye couldn’t quite remember. Kim.

            Yeah, why?

            KNOCK KNOCK.

            “Shit.” Faye said, setting down the half formed sandwich. She opened the door to see the smaller girl standing there.

            “What are you doing here?”

            “When I saw you weren’t at school, I thought I’d come by. I sort of wanted your help with something.”

            “Forget it.” Faye turned back to the sandwich. “You can get in trouble all by yourself, don’t need my help.”

            Kim laughed. “No. Nothing like that.”

            “It’s Bobbie.” She finished.

            “And…” Faye picked up the  sandwich and took a bite.

            “Prom’s next Friday, and I wanted to help her get ready for it.”

            “Heather’s already got her dress, and I’m sure…”

            Kim sighed. “Look, I’m sure mom wants to help, too. I already know Betty’s in…”

            “Betty?”

            “Heather’s mom. Anyway. I was thinking if we could help get her there.”

            Faye nodded and swallowed. An idea came. “I think I can help.” Faye brought her phone to life and called the Bakery.

            “Cheepskates, how can we help you today?” Faye sighed inside at the sound of Tim’s voice.

            “Hi, Tim.”

            “Faye?”

            “Yeah. Can you connect me to your mom?”

            “Sure, why?”

            “You’re not cleared for that.”

            “Huh?”

            “I can either go down there, or start talking about tampons.”

            Tim laughed on the other end of the line.

            “Now, what’s it gonna be, Mister Pink?”

            “Transferring now.”

            Click.

            “Cheepskates order line.”

            “Ms. Flaherty. It’s Faye.”

            “Oh, hi Faye.”

            “I have Kim here, and we wanted to get your help.”

            “My help?”

            “Prom’s next Friday, and we want to make sure that Bobbie has a smooth day. Heather’s mom and Bobbie’s mom want to help, and…”

            “Oh,” Myka’s voice suddenly got louder. “That sounds good, anything for her. When and where?”

            “Not too sure yet, I’ll call you back.”

            “I’ll be waiting. Been wanting to have a girls night for a while.”

            “Cool, thanks.”

            Faye hung up the phone and looked at Kim.

            “Okay, now what?”

             ***

            Beth and Steve stood at Cheepskates door early that afternoon, she was so excited to finally show Bobbie what the fondant figures would look like. She stood by the door and waited with Steve, Tim had asked him to come in to cover working the bakery while he and Bobbie were out for the Prom. Beth was just glad he was there to hold her hand. Beth had expressed her nervousness so often about how her figures would be received.

“She’ll think they’re great.” Steve reassured. “I think they’re great. Don’t panic. You worked really hard on these.” He kissed her cheek. “Now stop worrying.”

Most of the worrying had indeed stopped when the Vespa pulled up, she grabbed up her bag and tried to be patient. Knowing what Bobbie thought would ease the rest of the worrying. But the not knowing is killing me.

“Hey guys.” Tim said, shaking out the keyring that allowed them entrance. “Ready Steve? You know your way around a kitchen, just need to show you the specifics.”

            Once inside, Beth had her bag on the fondant station. Steve standing at the register with Tim, looking at the register in an attempt to figure out the correct way to key in sales.

            “Wait a minute, guys. I wanna show you.” Beth was gently reaching into her bag.

            Bobbie and Tim came over to the fondant station to see what Beth was so excited about, Steve followed after a couple of seconds of staring at the keypad.

            “I’ve been working on these for days. I finally have it. I can do them quickly now.” Beth pulled out three small Tupperware containers.

“Yeah,” Steve said. “If they keep raising the prices this year, she can just sculpt all of my Star Pixies.” Beth looked at him with semi shock

            Opening the first one, it was a slim almost cylinder. Beth gave the container to Tim. “That one’s you.”

            Tim looked at it closely. The shape was right, as were the shoes; even the hair was flat. The smiling expression he often wore when he was alone with Bobbie was literally etched into his face.

            “This one’s you.” Beth handed another container to Bobbie.

            Bobbie opened the tiny box and pulled out the sticky, delicate looking figurine.

            Bobbie couldn’t hold it back. “Awwwwwww.”

            The tiny sculpture was clad in a blue dress, the alabaster skin contrasting perfectly. But, it was the hair that made her notice.

            It was white, well sort of. Obviously there was some color mixing involved, but matching Bobbie’s just off-white shade must have taken some work. Turning it over in her hands, Bobbie had nothing but admiration for the skill that was displayed before her.

            “Wow, Beth. That’s… just incredible.” Bobbie said.

            Beth took the figures back and stood them together on the marble of the fondant station. With a thumb and forefinger, she pressed their hands together. Standing there, joined, they looked like cake toppers at a casual wedding.

            “Let’s see the other one.” Tim said. Steve snickered, covering his mouth.

            Beth blushed. “No, they were just together. I didn’t mean to…”

            Bobbie whipped out a hand and grabbed the box.

            “Hey.” Beth said.

            Bobbie smiled as she opened the box. “I can’t awww at this, it’s just not enough.”

            Tim looked confused, he turned his attention away from his tiny simulacrum.

            Bobbie pulled out the contents and set them next to the couple on the marble surface.

            It was Beth and Steve. Holding hands in the same poses.

            Tim laughed while Beth got redder.

            “Guys.” Beth said, looking embarrassed.

            Bobbie looked at Beth and said. “No reason to be embarrassed, these are incredible.”

“That’s what I told her.” Steve coming closer to the crowd. “I know that some of the guys in my gaming group would love a cake with stuff like this. And the winner could eat the losers.”

            Beth stood straighter. “It’s all thanks to you, Bobbie. I mean, I wouldn’t have thought of this on my own. I just figured that if you thought I could do it.” Beth folded her arms.

            “Then I could and would.”

            Wow, Faye. Talk about unintended consequences. Faye had given her that assignment. Bobbie laughed nasally.

            “Beth.” Bobbie said with a smile. “You rose to the occasion beautifully.”

            The praise made  Beth launch towards Bobbie. “I’m glad you like them.  Gonna have to start making them for the cake soon.”

            Tim and Bobbie both looked at Beth and in unison began to speak.

            “These aren’t them?”

            “No.” Beth said with an expression of of course not. “They’ll get all hard and nasty by then. I have to do them all in like two days.”

            Bobbie paled, leaving her skin even closer to the color of her diabetic voodoo doll. That’s too much, there’s no way…           

            Beth waved her hand, identically to the way Faye did. “Not worried. It’s so easy now.”

            “Beth,” Tim said. “You are awesome.”

            “Of course I am. Bobbie obviously thinks so.”

            “Glad you finally agree. Now…”

            “Let’s cook.”

            Tim looked at Bobbie.

            “What was…”

            Beth laughed. “Steve has me watching movies in the background while I do the sculpting. Although it’s been tv shows all week…  Plus looking at people helps me keep the proportions right.”

            “Proportions?”

            “Yeah,” Beth chattered “Steve was explaining it to me, it explains why I could never draw. It’s so hard to make a face look right.”

“You know.” Steve looked up. “Getting the eyes the right distance apart, where the nose is….”

            Bobbie looked at the figure again. “The pictures in your locker…”

            “Yeah.” Beth said. “and that’s where movies come in. Always faces to look at.”

            Bobbie understood. Hell, that’s been my life for the last nine months…

            Ten? How long had it been? Maybe losing track is a gift. No darkness anywhere today.

Thoughts of Antarctica, where days can last months. Nice contrast to all the darkness lately.

            You’d think that the date you died would stick in your mind a little.  But it didn’t. It was time she stopped watching. She glanced over at Tim. He was crouching, staring at the two small couples standing on the marble.  She could see that he wanted to pick them up and play with them like action figures. Boys. The prom was coming up, and that was never a consideration. How thoroughly she had become Bobbie since then. She also thought about the Winter Ball, and how Tim tended to overdo things,  and…

God, you sound like such a girl.

Because I am.

Bobbie smiled even broader as she looked around at the Bakery that had become her second home. The figures still stood there, holding hands.

She looked down at her hand, only to find life imitating art with Tim’s hand in hers.

“C’mon guys.” Beth  said. “We’ve got a lot to do.”

“Let’s get to it.” Steve said. But Bobbie didn’t hear.

Thoughts of Prom danced in her head. Dancing…

Tim…

Bobbie washed her hands and turned to the root beer cookies, while Tim had the Nutella croissants. It turned into a blur of activity.

The figures stood watch while their real life counterparts ran around the kitchen.

 ***

With Tim convinced that Beth and Steve could run the bakery for a whole day. They left in Steve’s car, leaving Bobbie and Tim to finish cleaning.

Bobbie looked up at Tim. She was smiling as she saw him, his face was strangely serious.

            “What?” She had noticed him staring off and on all night. “I was wondering if you were ever gonna tell me what happened?”

             “I told you everything.”

             “Not everything." Tim felt a hint of irritation creep into his voice. "There's a lot of gaps, even you have to admit that."

             "Have you ever considered you might not want to know? I didn’t ask you about the party, did I? I do believe that someone bearing a striking resemblance to myself said that you slept with somebody, I slept with somebody."

             "Oh come on." Tim folded his arms, the broomhandle cracked sharply against the floor, he winced when it made more noise when he wanted. "Seriously?"

             "Seriously." Bobbie held his gaze. “I don’t want to hurt you.”

 “What if I wanna be hurt?” Tim slumped his shoulders a little. "Bobbie...Prom is just a few days away. This is the biggest day of our lives...how am I supposed to enjoy it if I feel like I can't trust you?"

             "You'll just have to trust me." She said evenly. Hoping that the quip would produce at least a smirk.

             No such luck. What had started as a reasonably pleasant conversation was quickly reaching a tipping point.

             "Not good enough." Tim's voice was firm with unusual resolve. "We need to be open and honest. This is the first time you've ever hidden anything from me."

              Bobbie put her hands on her hips. "Then it pleases me to be the first."

             "Fine, play it your way." Tim stooped to pick up the broom and returned to sweeping.

              There was silence as they finished their tasks. The ride home had an unusual pallor that hung over it like a light storm cloud. There was a perfunctory hug and kiss as Bobbie dismounted the moped and walked to the apartment with her head hung low. Tim put his feet down at the end of the block and shot a quick text to Faye, asking her to meet him on the rooftop. If he was fast enough, he could beat her there.

If Bobbie won’t tell me… Maybe Faye will.

 

up
45 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos