The Transit of Venus, Book 2 - Ch 11

Printer-friendly version
image_31.jpg

Book 2, Chapter 11

Wake up, take temperature, douche, jog and shower… that was my morning routine but at least the suppositories had stopped so I was making progress. Before breakfast I phoned the hospital to check John was alright not wanting to disturb Judy who had probably been awake most of the night - it was only after I got the news that he would be well enough for visitors 1400→1600 and 1800→2000 that I remembered about hospitals giving no news to and allowing no visits by non-family members - unless that was something from America I'd picked up from the television. Ever since that recent series Big Brother on the TV it could feel as though life steps backward and forward between reality and fantasy. How long would it be before Big Brother had a transgender contestant?

Thinking of fantasy I ran back upstairs added some hoop earrings beneath my new studs and put on a bit of makeup. I might have to wear work clothes to help Dad today but if I was going visiting afterwards… maybe take a change of clothes for after work too.

Over breakfast Dad gave me an appraising look. "Boyfriend?" he asked.

"God no Dad, you know you're the only man in my life but I have to go into town later without looking like something the cat dragged in."

"Just let her discover her inner girly girl Isaac." Said Mum. "It will be fun for her and if you remember when we met you loved my hair that was so big I could barely fit through the door!"

Mum may have had a point as after work, on my way to the hospital, I stopped off to see my friend Kelly to see if she could wheedle a discount for some eyelash extensions like last time… I did seem to be becoming more conscious of my appearance.

* * * * * *

Arriving at 6 pm I found John awake and looking rather chipper for someone who almost died 20 hours before, however he did have company in the form of a uniformed policeman.

"I was hoping to catch you here" remarked the policeman.

I so wanted to say 'It's a fair cop guv. I dun it an you've got me bang-to-rights.' but I suspected humour during an attempted murder investigation was not appropriate even from the intended victim.

"This is my friend and neighbour Matt, he's not here to arrest you," explained John. "He was telling me that there doesn't appear to be any record of my car travelling at 68mph along Eastern Avenue at 21:02 last night and especially none of it having previously gone through two red lights."

"As I'm uniform branch not a detective I can't tell you how the investigation into the assault is going either; other than to say a man, who may well have been on CCTV in the pub in question last night, is in The Princess of Wales Hospital, Bridgend under guard, being treated for an unexplained broken jaw."

Life was suddenly very full of pleasant surprises although I did see John wince when he couldn't suppress a laugh at Matts heavily stressed way of saying 'unexplained broken jaw'. Maybe it was fortunate for John's stitches that Matt couldn't stop long being on duty.

"I bet you never expected all this when you decided to take dance lessons with me."

"In this case John I think it was just a matter of time before that man found me although it's beyond me why he'd risk a long prison sentence to get revenge."

"I gather you've met my wife Judy. She had a few choice words to say about you being a selfish cow who could only think about work while I lay here dying!"

"That's me," I admitted. "So does that mean she'll help?"

"She will if I've got anything to do with it! She wouldn't go out just to dance but I'll play up just how important regular therapy classes are. Thank you Venus. That was a great idea so let's keep our fingers crossed."

* * * * * *

I didn't stop long at the hospital having learnt from my own recent incarcerations that short and regular visits are more welcome those that extend beyond conversation's limits. Friday during the day I was with Ian and started work on Cyflym's rigging which involved a new technique - having spliced a deadeye to one end we needed to put the line under heavy tension to pre-stretch it and find the right length before splicing a thimble in the other end. Ian's solution was to use me to borrow a neighbour's forklift truck. Should I have objected? I didn't see myself as a feminist but a little man-manipulation is one thing and being used a very different feeling!.

Ian had to close his workshop early to visit a yacht and take measurements so I was 'out on the street' with time on my hands. My first port of call was a charity shop where I struck lucky - what's so wrong with them that they would discard, unworn, a pair of pink dungarees! Of course I wasn't wearing them when I popped into see Kelly but must admit the top and pink jeans I'd changed into after work wouldn't be everybody's choice!

"Upstairs now!" demanded Kelly. "And you owe me!"

A deal had been struck and all I had to do was agree to being photographed for the in-house promotional pamphlet for eyelash extensions and they would be free. Kelly even agreed to stay late and do my makeup for the photographer. With an offer like that what could I say?

* * * * * *

That was how I was turned out when I met Dr Stanhope as I walked through the hospital to see John a little later. In retrospect my makeup was a little heavy for day wear, in one hand was my shopping bag with the pink dungarees showing on top, over my arm was my flowery topcoat and on my shoulder my pink messenger bag.

If a picture could tell a thousand words Dr Stanhope's face was a picture.

"You are coming to see my on Wednesday aren't you Venus?"

I followed her eyes as they moved about my body and in reaction raised my arms.

"Too much?" I asked doing a little pirouette. "The good news is the police aren't pressing charges!"

With that I skipped down the corridor with the sound of Dr Stanhope's words echoing behind me… "Don't run Princess…"

* * * * * *

By John's bed was Judy looking a lot more relaxed than when I last saw her. Judy got to hear the full story of the 'parrot man' and I in return heard from John the gossip on why I had been attacked. It seems the two men were a couple and being a villain hadn't stopped 'parrot man' caring for his partner who's leg had healed badly leaving him with a limp.

"The court had to accept that the broken leg might have been an accident Venus," said John looking at me sternly. "Some thought your father did it but only the villains know for sure."

"Enough shop talk" broke in Judy. "If I'm going to face the embarrassment of taking tomorrow's disabled dance class you are not escaping that embarrassment Venus. Be there at 2:15 because I am giving you your lesson too."

up
118 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Don't run Princess…"

giggles. discovering your inner girly girl is fun!

DogSig.png

Run or skip if you want to Dorothy

Rhona McCloud's picture

Thank you, I like that line too Dorothy. I can somehow see Dr Stanhope's reactions clearly

Rhona McCloud

"Too much"? (Pink)

Never too much for a girly girl! Happy to see that Johns going to be all right! Loving Hugs Talia

As much as I love the color

As much as I love the color pink (certain shades only), the pink overalls are a bit over the top. Kinda like a bottle of Pepto-Bismol blew up all over her. But to each their own in this life and times. Do love the flowered jacket tho, and the messenger bag.