Julina of Blackstone - 037 - Honour And Dishonour

Printer-friendly version

The day doesn't get much quieter as it winds down

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

037 – Honour And Dishonour


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
037 – Honour And Dishonour

We were two hands of people, not counting the infant, when we went to visit Tapio, the glassmaker. Our party consisted of we six girls, two elder women and one young mother, all escorted by a single man – who was married, of course, single here meaning he was the only male in the party.

We had agreed whilst on our way that Berdon, Epp and I would be the main talkers but that the others would all be there as witnesses. And maybe, if really necessary, they could act as warnings to the glassmaker that he had better behave himself. Berdon reassured us that the man's reputation was such that this step would be completely unnecessary.

As it happened, the man himself was just dealing with a customer when we arrived. After a few heartbeats observation, both Epp and I nodded to each other as we sensed good things about him. He was like a warm, cuddly, older uncle somehow, with shrewd eyes that smiled when he did. His manner with the customer was almost old-fashioned. We watched in approval as he dealt with the man with respect and at the same time with authority. We immediately felt drawn to this glassmaker, who was older than Bormio but not too old. Maybe as old as Uncle Brydas, older though than Masters Bezan, Yarling and Pocular, to name just a few.

He glanced up at us as we walked into his premises. We knew he was surprised, probably by our numbers, as his voice stopped for just a heartbeat or two, before he gave us a nod, and, with raised eyebrows, he returned his attention to his customer.

As was only polite and sociable, we kept a respectful distance so that they could discuss things without feeling overheard. Both the customer and Master Tapio nodded their thanks for the consideration we had shown. Without any word spoken between us, both parties were already aware of the qualities of the other.

Epp and I managed to whisper together our immediate feelings of approval and we thanked Berdon with our eyes, a message that he received and acknowledged also with his eyes, a skill not usually found amongst males.

I think we were both grateful and wary when we saw that.

Maybe, some of our conversations around Berdon would have to be more guarded! If there was a man who could understand female eye-speak, then we might have some problems further down the road. I made a mental note to mention it to the others before very long. I was tempted, in my head, to consider this skill of his, brought about I supposed because of his need to observe people and their actions and reactions. I dragged my thoughts back to the present surroundings.

I looked around the space that Master Tapio presented to the public. At first I just saw things that appeared dirty and uncared-for but which upon closer inspection were actually well-worn and had, I suddenly saw and appreciated, been given an honourable retirement here upon his walls. A statement that these were the tools upon which this business was established. It was a surprisingly reassuring image that was presented, unlike the eye-catching, flashy display that Bormio had created, or more likely that Mowlia had created, a look that worked because of the novelty factor, but was actually a little cheap and nasty. I was surprised that even a country bumpkin like myself was able to discern that fact. This atmosphere here in Master Tapio's establishment actually drew attention to the shoddiness of Bormio's.

My gaze must have sharpened as I took closer note of the things hanging there, and I suppose I must have been making little grunts of approval as I moved around (something that I was only aware of having a habit of doing when Papa had pointed it out to me a year or more ago). This became clear to me when I jumped as an unfamiliar voice spoke close to my ear.

“I see you are aware enough to determine the reasons that these are on display! Very few do, and I can see that you are currently the first of your group.”

His words made me cast a glance at the others and only as I was watching did I actually see Epp pick up on it. She later told me that she had been clued into it and had really picked up on it, because of what I was doing; and then I saw Haka's attention focus and watched her as she made a reappraisal, and again I could actually see the dawning appreciation as her agile brain took it all in.

I had automatically made a little distance between the man and myself, due to the surprise, but I was proud that I had not squeaked and thus drawn more attention to myself.

“Master Tapio? Good day to you, sir. I am Mistress Julina. I would present everyone but that might take the rest of the day! Please accept that we are a group down here in Tranidor, just for a few days, having come down from Blackstone.”

His eyebrows rose once more at that, but he kept his silence as he waited for more information, for which he kept glancing at Berdon and then at the older women.

I sighed loudly before continuing: “No, Master Berdon does not know our purpose. He is merely the person who recommended you to us, and who guided us here. Yes, you are going to have to deal with women, and yes, one of them is this young. I have but recently gained my majority. I and my friend there, the one with the grey-coloured shawl, are the spokeswomen. Pray tell us now if that will be a problem?”

Yes, I was annoyed by the events of the day so far and yes I was getting fed up that no-one took me seriously at first, so maybe I spoke a little more sharply than I should.

Epp had started towards me as soon as the man had begun to speak, but she indicated that I should continue, presumably because she didn't want to undermine my authority – yet! Or maybe she didn't want her fame here in Tranidor to be a factor yet.

I turned once more to the man as I said: “I have, potentially, a business proposition for you ...”

Very mobile eyebrows he had, but he was not so mobile with his tongue.

After the briefest of brief pauses, I went on: “… so I must needs convince you first of my credentials.”

He just grunted at that point, which actually annoyed me enough to draw myself up and become determined not to be browbeaten. I decided it was time for me to put him on the spot.

I moderated my tone a little, back towards a more normal, reasonable and gentle tone: “Might I enquire as to YOUR own background? Where did you train? For how long have you been in business here?”

“Ah, er... Mistress … um … Julina. I have been a glass man since I was a boy, my father too, before me. I trained under him and also spent some time apprenticed to one down in Dekarran. I think you might find that half the windows of the castle there are from my hand. I dare to say that I am one of the foremost glass men here in Tranidor and I have reason to believe that I have a good reputation. I have furthermore some reputation in our Guild and you might inquire there at the Guildhall for more information. I would have thought that a young Mistress like yourself would have been drawn more to the likes of the younger glass men here, so I am intrigued as to why you might have approached myself.”

“Might I ask if you know others of your trade, either personally or by reputation? In particular a certain Master Pocular?”

He started at that.

“Why, yes, as it happens! Master Pocular was here in town not so very long ago. We met at the Guild dinner. He was convinced that there would be a good living … why, of course! A good living up in Blackstone.”

“Precisely. And he commissioned me to find someone in Tranidor to make a product upon which he now holds an Exclusivity Licence.”

“Ah!” He breathed. “I believe I saw mention in the Guild papers recently that there was something awarded to him. The first product so awarded from Blackstone. I wasn't sure if that product, not that the description gave much of an idea of it, would be of use to me in my circles, but I noted that there was a product. And you have a sample with you, I deem?”

“Exactly so, Master Tapio. It is my belief that it will become a very popular item indeed. However, one of the conditions of any licence granted would be that none can be sold before the first day of next month – NOT the first day of the New Year, but the first day of Marash.”

“What a strange condition. That is almost as intriguing as the product itself.”

“Master Tapio, ...”

He turned his attention to Epp who had stepped in to spare my blushes.

“... it was young Julina here who came up with the basic idea for this product. She lacked the skills to make it herself but her father and Master Pocular worked together to create the product. The sample that was sent to Palarand City for the Licence Award was in fact the SECOND of these ever made. Julina has with her the FIRST ever made in all of Anmar. … ”

“Maker!” he breathed.

“... and Master Pocular granted her a short while to be the only person in all Anmar to possess her finished product. Hence the condition. No-one is to be an owner of such an item until the first day of the first full month of the New Year.”

“Now I understand! Mistress Julina, you honour me with your trust. Such an item is a treasure indeed. Might I see it? If it pleases you? I shall treat it with all due reverence.”

Kords couldn't help herself, and blurted: “That will make a refreshing change!”

Master Tapio caught on to that statement and looked at her, then at me and then at Epp: “Why? What has happened?”

But is was Kelly who answered: “That pakh-brained wife of Master Bormio tried to steal it! That's what happened!”

His attention swung round to her, shock plain upon his face. I nodded to Kelly to continue, but with a warning to be careful. I was horrified as I saw the grin on her face.

“Well, Master Tapio – hey what is it with the glassmakers in this town, do they all end with '-io' on their names? - anyway, our Julina fell yesterday for Master Bormio's charms and we went back with the mirror earlier today to see if he wanted to produce it under Licence and his wife accused Julina of stealing it from somewhere and tried to snatch it off her!”

I was going to have to work some more on The Glare, because she didn't shrivel up immediately.

“That wretched woman! She has dragged down that man! This is going too far. I shall have to bring this up with the Guild. I suspect that the glass items of adornment may well have been her idea, but this is going too far! Why, I deem that …”

“It would be a good thing were you to report this to the Guild,” chipped in Epp at that moment. “For he needs to be watched carefully to see if he produces any without benefit of the Licence!”

It was immediately apparent to each and every one of us that Master Tapio was shocked to the core by that revelation. “No, surely not! Not even he would do …”

“Master Tapio, you did not see the look on that woman's face. She shall not rest until she has one of those products in her hand and further until her husband is making coin hand over fist by producing them! She has seen the future, and she wants it for herself. This is a product that EVERY woman shall strive to have, and many men will find uses for as well.”

“In that case, I deem I should see it for myself and maybe get it officially arranged that they CANNOT be the ones to produce this whatever it is.”

We could all tell that he wanted to do this in some measure just to spite that woman, if not for the thing itself. I reached into my carry bag (for by that time I had long since retrieved it from the girls) and took it out with none of the little games that Molly and I had played up at the other glassmaking establishment.

Master Tapio put his hands behind his back in a very demonstrative fashion and I showed him my precious object.

A sharp intake of breath showed us all that he was indeed interested in the product itself. Another came from Berdon, about which my mind started wondering. Why would he find it so interesting? What usages would he have of such a thing? How would he …?

“Mistress Julina, might I be permitted to handle it?” asked Master Tapio.

I jerked my attention back to the matter in hand before I gravely handed it to him. With all due deference, he took it very carefully from me. I couldn't resist temptation and so I looked across at Berdon, whose mouth was hanging open.

“So this is Pocular's mark, eh?” muttered Tapio to himself as he inspected it minutely. “And this is a flat glass mirror, a silvered mirror they call it. The first I have seen. So much clearer. But to have the idea to make it this size and shape … Mistress Julina, this is indeed truly genius. And I suppose I can understand that awful Mistress Mowlia a little. And yes, I am indeed very interested in terms to be allowed to make this. Pray tell me how this came about,” he said as he went to hand the mirror back to me.

Just then Berdon reached for it, saying: “Might I also inspect that, please. I suspect I shall order a hand of these immediately if 'tis as I ...”

“Master Berdon, this is not mine to give into your hand. This belongs to Mistress Julina here. She it is that must grant permission.”

We were all impressed that Tapio had said that without any prompting, and Berdon had the grace to look a little sheepish as he turned his eyes my way, raising an eyebrow. I nodded and gestured to allow Tapio to hand it to Berdon, who took it with exaggerated care.

Whilst he was inspecting it, Haka joined in the conversation and explained about the development of the hand mirror and told about the light reflecting demonstrations, which made Master Tapio hiss in his breath some more. He was also interested in the beam lantern, but I warned him that I had no knowledge of the state of the Exclusivity Licence for that, but promised to demonstrate it to him on the morrow.

Berdon almost dropped my mirror when she explained about the full-length glass mirror hanging in the Bell. All of us held our breath until he handed my mirror back to me, very shakily.

“Maker! I'm glad I decided to hang on with you today. I would require several of these, both the full-length and the hand mirrors for our troupe! Why, Master Tapio, I could sell a hand of hands of these mirrors tonight. Maybe I should be your agent here in Tranidor. We can maybe strike a deal?”

“Master Berdon, 'twould be a pleasure. I deem I must reward you in any case for the introduction to this opportunity. We shall talk. However, my feeling is that these products shall speak for themselves. On the other hand, I cannot make them AND advertise them widely so maybe we could construct a deal, perchance for orders you take between New Year's Day and the 1st Marash. This, however, is all very theoretical. First, I must sort out a deal with Mistress Julina here, get it signed and witnessed and registered at the Guildhall. Then I shall be able to discuss any agreement with you.”

“Had you been Master Bormio, I should have demanded one half of the price of every one sold ...” there was a hiss of surprise from everyone around, “... however, as you have dealt with me so honourably, I shall return the favour. I understand that the norm ...”

“Is 1/12th for some things, 1/25th for others. And just about anything in between. Yes it can be confusing, I know …”

“... is 1/15th I was going to say. However, there are some other conditions, one of which is the restriction upon the sale of the first ones as far as the date goes. None before the 1st Marash, you will remember. And lastly the Licence would require a minimum period of two years …”

“Done!”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Done! I will deal with you for that – two years minimum at 1/15th, terms to be renegotiated let us say on New Year's Day in two year's time. As long as I am the only licensed producer here in Tranidor.”

I looked at the others, in particular Epp, and got agreements. Thus was the deal so very easily done.

Three parchments were fetched, the terms scribed on each, each compared to be an accurate copy of the others, and all signed by myself (as the duly appointed representative of the Exclusivity Licence holder, to be confirmed in writing by him once we returned to Blackstone) and Master Tapio. They were then witnessed by both Berdon and Epp, whose proper name, when written down, again caused Master Tapio's eyebrows to shoot skywards. He apologised for his apparent lack of respect, but was waved off. An urchin was sent for and then despatched to the Guildhall with their copy for the records.

We chatted on for some more moments and other channels of conversation were opened when Berdon said: “When we do our playacts, we use many face paints to provide the character we are trying to portray with certain unspoken characteristics. This has always been awkward for the playactors to determine just how the watchers perceive them. Just by changing an eyebrow, we can convey a different impression to the onlookers – one way, an evil bandit, another way and we give the impression of an innocent victim. These hand mirrors will make it so much easier for us from now on. And I am interested in the possibilities of using mirrors to direct lights as you described. That might make much difference to the picture we present. Indeed, it might well mean a major change to all playacts in the future.”

His excitement was obvious to all and I was astounded that my casual playing whilst being ignored in a workshop up in Blackstone had been the driving force for the deep excitement of a man down in Tranidor.

But soon we started to fidget and Epp and I agreed to return in the morning. With nothing much more to interest the girls, it was soon time to leave and we agreed to split up the party.

Berdon was to escort Mousa and Epp up to Junction Square, Mousa going so she could later escort Epp back again. In the meantime, the rest of us went back to the house at South Point, chatting away about all that had happened that afternoon.

Of course, now the grown-ups were out of the way, the girls decided it was fair game to start their teasing of me and the Bormio business - and it started even before we had the Market Place in sight once more.

It lasted however for only about ten strides, maybe as much as a cast.

I had raised my hand and received an almost instant silence.

“You know that tingly feeling you get when you’re really attracted to someone?” I looked around almost daring any of them to say no, and a bit in the back of my brain was shocked when I saw Kords knowingly nodding.

“Well I have decided that that’s the feeling caused when common sense leaves your body.”

There was another short silence and then an explosion of laughter that only a gaggle of gigglers can produce.

And to my complete and utter astonishment that ended the discussions about all things Bormio.

Which let open the subject of men who would be women, which subject was still in full flow as we mounted the steps into the house. The others found the subject far more sensational than did I, for some reason. I afterwards wondered if it was due to my friendship with Em, a woman who had been a man wanting to be a woman. I started thinking more deeply about that …

Oh Maker! This was getting very complicated indeed.

… … ...

I was in the last group to leave the bath house and was thus returning along the corridor when the front door opened to admit five people.

Epp and Mousa, of course, had returned with Grizanthet and Boxklee, and young Surekha. I was highly surprised by that, but soon found out that they had received the Semaphore message with time enough, only just mind you, for them to scramble aboard the shuttle later that very morning. And so Epp had her entire family, except for her elder daughter and her father down in Brikant, with her for the first time for ages.

… … …

So, for the second night in a row, we had a pleasant dinner to be followed by the final two people to be interviewed for the post as teacher.

As matters were discussed whilst at the table, I mentioned my idea for some shuttle-like transport and how I saw it running. Once the subject had been introduced it seemed to become of the most importance to nearly all the others to find a suitable name for the service and that took up much time.

“I learnt only this week that many ancient Chivan words have remained in use for whatever reason. Most of these are in use by the legal profession – indeed the very word 'legal' stems from the Chivans, and very few of these words are in common use. One word has just occurred to me, one that was indeed used in a legal context, and it is one that might be appropriate at this moment since it means ‘for everybody’ – omnibus. And this would be a carriage for everybody, not one just for a private person or party, which is the way the word is used in the legal sense.”

“Good thinking, Termerik! It does seem just a little clumsy somehow though. Maybe we could shorten it to 'Omni'?”

But that suggestion from Mousa was rejected – somehow it didn't seem to ring in any of us.

Termerik was not upset that we rejected his suggestion, and happily joined in with the by-now lively discussions. So many suggestions were made that no-one could have a chance to mention them all, so I will cut short this part of the narrative.

Eventually, we settled upon “Wender”, it being quite descriptive of its function. It was only at that point that the others felt they could start to consider the details.

“I deem 'twould be better to have two men on each wagon, a driver and another to control the passengers, make sure they have paid for their privilege, and, as we saw frequently, prevent the street urchins from filling the wagon and thus preventing proper fare-paying passengers from having easy access.”

“But, 'Lina, that would mean more people to be paid. Surely 'twould be too expensive to run? How many such wagons do you think would be employed?”

“My initial thought is for eight. Four on each route.”

“That would then be sixteen men employed. And eight dranakh, eight wagons, plus spares that would have to be maintained. This operation would be very expensive.”

“I’m convinced, from what I have seen, that the people would be grateful. And I deem we would have many more passengers than you think.”

“How would you collect the money from the passengers? Even just a soo seems expensive for a trip from the Market Place to Junction Square. And then, if the passenger wanted to change onto a bridge-bound wender, would you charge another soo?”

“My feeling is that we should charge a certain amount for a book of tickets or whatever we are to call them. Just for discussions sake, let’s say we have 10 trips per soo. So each time a passenger hops on, the ticket controller or whatever we decide to call him, takes away one of the cards, tickets, or whatever is decided upon?”

“Or maybe pay for a day?”

“That's a good idea! Let's think about that.”

And so we went on until the table was cleared away and the first of the night's interviewees was shown in. This one, Loren, fared well and Epp and I knew that the final offer would be between Magser and him.

However, that one interview process was the most difficult of all we had had so far.

This was due to the interruption that occurred. Skrotum, the wrinkled old retainer hired as the head of household for the duration of our stay, bustled in looking worried, and everyone stopped talking as we concentrated upon him, all of us knowing full well that Epp had left clear instructions that we were not to be interrupted.

“I apologise, Mistress. If it pleases you Mistress, there is a married couple here who have arrived unannounced and insist upon talking to you. I have explained that you are to be uninterrupted and that you have appointments for the rest of the evening, but they insist, quite rudely if truth were told, that their business is of the utmost importance and that you shall want to be informed. Indeed, they strongly suggested that you would be annoyed if you did NOT see them, and as soon as possible at that.”

“It does NOT please me. Please show them the door. Unless they have come to report some disaster such as my business burning down, then I have no wish to entertain anyone else this day. My evening is quite full enough for me to be unable to see anyone further. I left quite distinct instructions, and am frankly amazed that you have chosen to ignore them.”

“They assured me, Mistress, very forcibly, that it was of the utmost importance, despite my refusing them entry. I have reluctantly put them in the family room, as they were making quite the disturbance outside.”

“Then usher them back outside, if you would be so good. I have not the time, and they will have to accept that.”

“Er … they did mention that they could accept that you might be unable to see them at short notice and would be prepared to wait …”

Epp interrupted him: “No. I have not the time. I believe that I have repeated this now some several times.”

“Ah! In which case they asked for permission to speak with Mistress Julina.”

I started at that, and was about to speak when Epp held up her hand and glared at me, an angry look crossing her face.

“I deem I now know the couple you are referring to. I assume they presented their names?”

“Why, yes, Mistress. Please forgive me, I was too nervous of interrupting you that I forgot to mention them.”

Suril chipped in: “Let me guess. Would they be Master Bormio and Mistress Mowlia?”

I gasped, as did several others.

“Why yes, Master. Indeed it is they.”

“You will return to the family room, and you will remove them from my house. Immediately.”

He turned to go, but swung back as Epp called again: “Hold! Nay!”

Her face took on a most predatory grin. “Please be certain that you do exactly as I now instruct. You will remove the WOMAN from my house, stating that she shall never be welcome under my roof. If the man chooses to support her, then he shall leave too. If, however, he chooses to leave her standing alone outside in the late evening, like a streetwalker, and settles in to attend me, then we have their measure. The actions will tell us much. Suril, would you be so kind as to lend what assistance might be required to remove her from the premises, perhaps with Haka and Mistress Bratet? After all, you two are the ones least involved with our business here and now. But say nothing of where we went and what we did once we departed from the 'Nest'. I do not want that couple to know that already they have lost out. I want that shock to come as a total surprise.”

Suril and Haka readily agreed, both with a look that clearly showed they would welcome the battle. Epp sat back with a satisfied smirk on her face as the two men and Haka went out of the door.

It closed behind them, and Epp said simply: “Now. Where were we? …”

And the discussions with Master Loren continued, a little awkwardly at first.

We did hear some screeching from outside the door, which soon faded. There was the slamming of the street door.

… … ...

By and by, Master Loren departed and was soon replaced by the next candidate. Haka came back in just before him though, saying as she did: “Suril has gone to fetch some Watchmen, just in case.”

The final man came in looking a little ruffled, but he greeted us properly.

“Good evening, ladies all. And young Master. I confess to being most discombobulated, as a Master Bormio told your man that he was waiting for longer than I, and should thus be shown in before me. I feared he might manhandle me, but your man explained that I had an appointment and that he did not. It was all most perturbing and I fear that I am unused to such behaviour. I like my life ordered and steady.”

His speech was precise and clear, and his choice of words showed a large vocabulary, and a good knowledge, but his prissiness and his very neatness told us all immediately that he would be unsuitable to a position in a frontier mining town – no, what was that word I learnt not so long ago? A frontier mining … enviringment, that was it! (Ok, later, I changed it to the correct spelling, but then I changed it back again to give you a flavour of how I thought in those days back then!)

The man was thus ushered out quite early in the process, having early on shown himself to be unsuitable; at which point Epp asked us to all discuss each candidate and state our preferences.

However, before we could begin, the door was flung open, and Bormio strode in, his face angry.

“Now look here Mistresses ...” the last word was said with a slight sneer, “... I need to see that mirror and I want to sign a Production Licence with you. So ….”

“How DARE you? Begone from my house immediately!”

“Not until I have what I want. I have waited long enough while you play your games with me – keeping me waiting while that pathetic weed of a man was ushered in first – and now the time for games is over. I ...”

“Indeed, the time for games IS over, Bormio. Leave at once. This is a private discussion in a private house in which you have been repeatedly told you are unwelcome. I shall have you arrested for this. I wonder what they will say about THAT at the Guildhall.”

“Mistress Megrozen, I do not need to deal with you. I need only that Julina girl.”

“But, Bormio, you DO need to deal with me. This is my home, and you have invaded it. I shall refuse to allow MISTRESS Julina to discuss anything with you.”

“Then I shall discuss it with the so-called MISTRESS Julina outside.”

He reached for my arm as if to drag me away and I was about to cringe away when I saw things behind him. A thought flashed through my head, and I allowed his hand to grab my arm. It was only then that I tried to pull away and, as I had dared to hope, his grip tightened. I knew that would leave a bruise or two which would add to the list of his wrongs.

Surekha by this time was overcome with anxiety and started crying which added to the chaos, as Epp went to comfort her and Jogantha came rushing in to see if she could calm her at all.

Meanwhile, Bormio's strength was making me regret my hasty, yet very recent, decision. There was going to be a LOT of bruising and not just on my arm, on my thighs as well as I was dragged against the table edge and my shins were rapped on the legs of a chair. I was beginning to get very frightened, I don't mind admitting. Molly was slapping him inefficiently which seemed to just make him more determined. Mousa was struggling to get round the end of the table to do whatever she could.

He suddenly let go of me as he pitched forward, his nose making contact with the edge of the table. A bright red spout of blood erupted from the damaged organ, and I could see his eyes glaze over.

Suril, closely followed by the Watchmen he had fetched, pounced upon the man and swiftly trussed him. They then carted him, none too gently, out of the room and into the hallway of the house. He started to regain some of his senses there and began to bluster and struggle. This was getting increasingly violent when Suril leant forward and whispered something in his ear. His struggles immediately ceased and he hung his head.

“Well, Master Bormio,” said the obviously senior of the two, “I see you have invaded someone's house, assaulted a young woman and shocked many others. Your blood has stained much of the room in which we found you, and I have no doubt that the Count shall insist you pay retribution not alone for the outrage but furthermore for the damage to this house. You shall be able to repent your actions as you sit in the Watch-house until such time as Lord Trosanar has the opportunity to arrange your trial. You shall be able to discuss with Goodman Salien the advisability of upsetting Master Suril, Mistress Megrozen or Mistress Julina. And I happen to know that our Count is very busy until at least the New Year, so you shall miss those celebrations.”

“Master Barmbee, I feel I should inform you of that which I whispered into this Bormio's ear ...” I realised with a shock that Suril had deliberately, as had Epp, dropped the Master title from this man's name. “... as he may decide to suggest that he was threatened. I merely pointed out that a glassmaker needs to be able to use his hands, and that his struggling like that might result in damaged or broken fingers or even hands – perhaps so damaged that the hand might need amputation. I have not in any way implied that I might be the one that inflicts such a harsh degree of damage. Have I, Bormio?”

Bormio started to bluster, but a very sharp look from Suril made him forget it.

“HAVE I, Bormio?” Suril repeated.

“No. You did not directly threaten me, whoever you are.”

“You are all now witnesses to the prisoner's confession that I did not threaten him in any way.” He swung back on the now-subdued man. “That would be MASTER Suril, to you, Bormio.”

“Master Bormio, I'll thank you.”

“No longer, Bormio. No common criminal is a Master to me. I shall have to visit the Guildhall tomorrow to enquire of how they think I should address you now there is a change in your circumstances.”

Bormio looked horrified at the thought that his peers would be informed before he had a chance to prepare them and at last the true nature of his difficulty sank in. He was so angry as he was bundled down the steps to a waiting Watch dray that, when the shivering Mowlia started berating everyone in sight and him in particular for leaving her there, he more than snarled at her ;”This is all your fault, you stupid woman. Pakhs have more sense than you. Now just shut up. I have been arrested and will be locked up now as a result of your greed, anger and spite. Now just hop up on this dray and for once keep silent.”

“Now, now, Bormio. This is a Watch vehicle and we can't have no passengers.” The junior Watchman turned to Mowlia as he continued: “I would have thought you would have found more business up to the Market Place. This is a nice neighbourhood, not likely to need your sort.”

“Why you rude man, I shall report you to the Watch Commander. I am this man's wife!”

“Yes dear, of COURSE you are. That's what they all say. Just be along with you, or we'll have to send someone to arrest you.” He turned to his companion. “They get cheekier by the day it seems, Master Barmbee.”

“Indeed, 'twould seem so.”

“But I AM his wife. How dare you suggest otherwise.”

“If you say so dear,” he said in a totally disbelieving tone. “This man is apparently a well-known glassmaker, and I doubt he would marry someone like you! Such a man could have his pick of gentlewomen, although whether any of them folks would choose him right now is open to debate.”

“Regretfully, Master Barmbee,” said Bormio dejectedly, “she tells the truth. This is indeed my wife, a fact which I have now been brought to rue.”

“Well she can't ride on this dray. She'll have to walk and try to keep up – or make her own way to wherever you have your home.”

So saying, Bormio was dumped without ceremony and the dray headed up towards the Market Place. Mowlia was still complaining and only stopped as she realised the dray was pulling away from her. She whirled around and glared at us all, all bunched up and gawping from the top step, and then she hurried away after her trussed husband.

… … …

“Well that was some while of excitement. We must all retire to the family room now so that poor Jogantha and Karmanya, who are busy clearing up the mess that Bormio left behind him, can continue without us being in the way. I shall get Mistress Bratet to bring us all some fresh pel and we will finish our discussions about the teacher for Blackstone.

“At least the recent disruptions and excitements have given me a chance to think of how we should proceed. I propose that we all keep our thoughts to ourselves and select in our minds the first, second and third preferences. After that, once the pel has arrived and been poured, we shall state our favoured sequence. Only then, if we differ too wildly, need we discuss our thoughts, and each can speak on behalf of their favourite. I suspect that we may require no more discussions!”

The pel was most welcome as indeed had been the relaxation after the turmoil. I had already, long ago, decided upon my top three and so I spent most of the time mulling over the events of the day. Which is maybe why those events still remain so clearly in my mind. Certainly, the writing of this part of my tale has been much easier than some other parts.

Anyway, the first two teacher choices were the agreement of each and every one of us – Magser, then Loren. The third place actually did generate some discussions, but in the end, Epp and I had agreed on the same man and so our thoughts took precedence, since we were the ones that would have to work most closely with him, should he be appointed.

Once that was decided, we naturally talked about the Bormio invasion incident and we were still deep in that discussion when Suril returned. It had taken a little longer since Grizanthet and Boxklee needed some background information for some things to make sense.

“Master Jalmond has asked me to pass on a message. He says that he will be glad when you leave his town, Julina!” he said with a twinkle in both his eyes and his voice. “He has noticed that the two highest profile people currently resting in his Watch-house are both there after entanglements with you. And that another high profile criminal is being searched for, also after being involved with you – that Brathan character.”

And so the teasing began again, and the blushing and the counter jibes and we were soon all laughing and giggling once more, a relief after the darker emotions of not so long ago.

I remembered just then to tell the others about Berdon's abilities to understand as well as join in with eye-speak. I think most of the girls were a little disconcerted about that and a lively discussion ensued on that subject, with Suril happily roping in both Parry and Boxklee to claim that it was an unfair advantage.

Of course, we also had to explain to Boxklee and Grizanthet about our journey down and our activities since arriving. Which involved many differing views of events and my once again reliving some teasing about that Bormio 'involvement'.

Both Boxklee and Grizanthet asked for many clarifications and these were provided from many differing sources, which created somewhat of a discordant atmosphere, and not a few heated discussions about 'what really happened'. But there were no angry differences of opinion, just the odd heated 'correction' of another's interpretation.

Once the two newcomers were brought up to date, so to speak, it was time once again for Epp to take the lead for the next round of discussions.

“Now all of you. You would do well to remember that tomorrow is your final full day. You will have a few bells on the following morning before you depart, but tomorrow is already filling up with duties and chores! Julina and I need to return to Master Tapio just to make sure we have everything covered. We also need to visit Master Magser, and then Master Loren. It would only be polite of us to inform the top two candidates personally. Haka needs to arrange for the collection of the materials and other supplies she has ordered to be picked up from Mistress Nayet's. Our riding attire and saddles are due to be delivered here tomorrow morning, so that's a task or two we don't have to worry about, and you girls might well want to go and buy some little thank-yous for the staff here who have done so well looking after you.”

I glanced round at that point, and noticed a couple of ashamed faces, so I guessed that the owners of these had not thought about thanking the girls who worked here so tirelessly for us.

Of course, there then ensued much and varied discussion about what would be suitable and how expensive the suggestions might be. I offered to loan the girls some coin against their future earnings and so we finally managed to agree on what we would present the staff with on our last morning. All we had to do now was find the things and get them at a reasonable price.

Once we had exhausted not only all the topics but also ourselves, Epp decided that she wanted to say a little something before we all went off. I knew from her attitude that she felt there were some important words for us to remember: “Today has been an incident-packed, shocking, funny, serious and worrying day, a day when we have all been affected by many emotions and events. I find I must congratulate you all upon your demeanour, even if certain of you ...” and she glanced meaningfully at me at this juncture, “... came close to losing control. It may be difficult to believe right now, at this very heartbeat, but you will one day remember this day fondly.”

She paused very briefly as she looked each of us in the eye.

“These are the days now that we must savour and we must enjoy as we can. These are the days that will last forever, we've got to hold them in our hearts. Now off to bed with us all. It is late and there is a big day ahead of us tomorrow.”

We went to bed with those final words from Epp, that final good-night message to us all, ringing in our heads and they caused me much thought before I managed to get finally off to sleep.


up
168 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Julina of Blackstone

When I started reading this story it was with some doubt.
However the story became more engaging with each chapter and drew me into the story more and more.

More fun in Tranidor

This has developed rather well, in my opinion. Although Julina seems somewhat of a trouble magnet...

A worthy addition to the Tales of Anmar.

Penny

A working vacation

To say the least visiting Tranidor has not been like visiting New York City where all sorts of entertainments are to be had and stuff. I am surprised there was not auditioning of the Troupe there (even if it is a sampler performance) before even inviting them up to Blackstone. They interviewed for a teacher, it makes sense to meet the performers as a group (and not just their front man) first to see how they might fit in.

Hi GR ... Tranidor and entertainment

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

The difficulty with evaluating a troupe, I had hoped to have made a little clearer. The Blackstoners have never seen any entertainment like that before and thus have no basis for comparison. Also Borden and co. would be going out on a limb, would be putting all their eggs into one basket to just up sticks and head off into the unknown.

This is why Borden and his wife are going to travel up to BS with them, a sort of scouting mission of their own. IF, and it is still very much an if, B and B decide that there is potential there, then all the doubts and possibilities can rise to the surface.

The teacher interviews are a lot easier, since Epp and Julina have a very clear idea of what they are searching for.

I acknowledge Penny's point that J seems to be a bit of a trouble magnet, but feel that that is only natural. Palarand has bumbled on for years and years, gently stagnating, and now there is this air pervading the country of change and ideas, and so on. This is bound to bump up against long-engraved habits and attitudes. The Bormio business is because she possesses something that no-one else does, and B + M got greedy.
The Salien business involves J simply because Suril recognised that he was being more than indiscreet and that something would have to be done about it.

Much more is going on all about, stuff of which Julina is (currently) unaware. Julina can only report what she herself sees and/or experiences.

Just as an example, this day, the one that concludes in this episode, is the 17th Zuberak.

On the same day, Garia receives K's 2nd letter and there is the last ever Guild meeting in Palarand. Gullbrand is travelling to fetch the men of the crew, he is somewhere in Plif, and, in Joth, Marilin returns from the second patrol and is summoned to the Duke in Thorn.

None of this is known to Julina, so she continues with HER world-view.

All the best,

Julia