Tamara's Debut - Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Début - A Tommy & Tamara Story
Tamara's Début

 

Part Twelve

 

by Shiraz

 

 
 
Thursday 27th November Continued
 
Once the car started moving towards the car-park exit Tammy realised that she needed a few things.

"Dad?"

"Yes dear."

"Can you drop me in town, I need to do some shopping."

"Don't you want me there?"

"I think you'd get bored, it's clothes shopping and I might have to try on quite a few things."

"I get the picture, it's eleven now so what about lunch?"

"How about meeting me at a little hotel I know?" Tammy gave him directions to the place she'd gone to a week and a half earlier, she knew Frances would supply a good lunch.

"That sounds good, I've a few things to do as well. I'll see you at one."

Tammy was dropped in the middle of town, but the first thing she did was to call in to see Sarah and mention lunch. She then went around the town, then around again. She dropped the first collection of shopping bags at Sarah's before going back out, this time to the chemists for some smellies. She remembered to pick up some panty liners for her protection before she returned.

"Sarah, are you ready?"

"Give me five?"

"I've got to get there, Frances won't know dad if he arrives before me."

"Okay, you go straight there and I'll see you shortly."

Tammy walked around to the little hotel, receiving two kisses from Frances as she entered. There were about ten others in the bar, mostly couples. The conversation level was low and a sixties soundtrack played in the background. She ordered a spring water and took the lunch menu, her dad arrived a few minutes later. He looked lost as he walked in but was intercepted by Frances.

"Your daughter is in the corner over by the window."

"Thank you."

She hadn't told Frances anything so he must have guessed, Frances just gave her a wink. Dad ordered a water as well and took a look at the menu. They both decided to have a simple salad, Sarah arrived as Frances was leaving with their order.

"Sorry I'm late. Frances, a large glass of white please and a cheese salad please."

She sat down in a hurry, taking a couple of deep breaths. She'd recovered by the time her wine arrived.

"Sorry Tammy, things went mad, I could have done with a hand! I had a call for a bulk order of the rose ballgown that's in the window. A man has asked for ten of them, from size ten to sixteen, he said he had an event coming up and he wanted his girls to look just right."

"Ten? It sounds good, but are you sure it's genuine?" Richard was a little concerned.

"He paid there and then, I received authority for the whole sum from his bank. I might have give him a discount, or a credit voucher, but right now I've quoted the full amount."

"Which is?"

"£3290"

"What's your margin?"

"Thirty percent."

"So that gives you a little under a grand?" Tammy suggested.

"Have you thought about getting a better price from your suppliers?"

"Richard, I don't have the time to do that when I'm in the shop on my own, of course the suppliers aren't usually available on a Saturday."

"Would you like me to look into it?"

"If you would, Tammy knows most of the stock so would be able to help. Tammy, are you going to be free on Saturday?"

"Yes, as far as I know, but I just hope I can get through tomorrow."

Their salads had arrived, which curtailed the conversation. Sarah gave her apologies soon after and headed back to the shop. Tammy decided she had a question for her father.

"Dad, when are you going back to work?"

"I've now asked for two months leave, I'm owed a month and I'll take the rest as unpaid. That way I'll be here into January."

Tammy jumped up and rushed into her father's arms, tears poured down her face.

"I love you, thankyou."

"Tammy, I love you too."

Tammy sat back down and put a tissue to her eyes.

Richard went back to the car whilst Tammy collected her shopping from Sarah's. Richard had obtained an envelope of documents whilst in the town and made certain that these could not be seen by Tammy when she found him; he'd show and explain later.

Back at the house Tammy went to her room to stow her purchases into her growing wardrobe. Richard was intercepted by Elsie, they walked into the study and closed the door.

"Richard, I'm getting concerned for Tammy's safety."

"What's happened?"

"A TV crew turned up saying they were here to interview a boy who dressed as a school girl."

"What did you say?"

"I told them there was no-one of that description here. I also told them if they did not leave my premises I would have them removed."

"Did they leave willingly?"

"They did, but we let the dogs have a run around first."

"Which TV station was it?"

"It wasn't one of the stations, it was an independent company, I have the director's card."

"Thanks, I'll deal with this."

"How did Tammy's day go?"

"Good, another step forward with no real issues. Tammy would like it to move faster but that's only to be expected. She does however need hormone treatment sooner rather than later if only for her general health."

Richard briefly explained what Dr Yates had said, and included the conversation with the out-patients receptionist.

"Sometimes I wonder if they require three braincells to work in those places but, in this case, it prevented any odd questions for Tammy."

"It did. By the way, I've picked up a driving licence application for Tammy and booked her driving lessons for a couple of weeks time."

"Good, it'll give her more independence when she's ready for it."

"What about tomorrow?"

"We'll just take it slowly, can you let me have copies of the medical letters? There's a fax from Dr Yates, by the way."

Richard picked up the fax, it confirmed that which they'd been told that morning. He noted that the letter had been copied to Dr Hoskins and Prof Roberts, that saved him a small job.

They headed out into the hallway as Tammy came back down.

"Dad, I received a postcard from Cathy. I wish I could read it to you but it's for girls only!" She giggled loudly.

"That's great, now can we have a chat in the conservatory?"

"Just let me put a cardigan on."

Tammy was back a few minutes later, she'd bought several cardigans that morning and couldn't decide which one to wear. This was going to become an ongoing problem for her.

"Tammy, firstly a TV crew were looking for you this morning, but they've been sent away and I doubt if they'll be back."

"Okay?" She wasn't convinced.

"The company's based in Grays Inn Road in London, I'll have my solicitor deal with them. The injunction is only valid in Scotland so maybe a quiet legal word will suffice."

"Perhaps."

"Now, what are we going to tell your mother?"

The $99 question. Tammy thought about it for a while before giving her response.

"We don't phone or email, we write to her by recorded delivery. Our solicitor gets a copy the day we post it, he can wait a few days and send it to hers."

"That's the logistics, what do we say?"

"No, it's rather what do I say."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, if it comes from you she'll use it as ammunition in the divorce, if it comes from me she can't, I'm not a party to any divorce court proceedings."

"Good thinking so far, what else?"

"A simple letter, no more facts than necessary. We only include one medical report, that of Professor Roberts, but we will have to warn him. The letter needs to make it clear that this started a long time before you arrived back from Geneva, but also emphasises that I am mentally stable and have the necessary proof."

"That'll do nicely, go and draft it."

"Now?"

"Yes, it can go in the late afternoon post."

Tammy went up to her room and typed a letter. She didn't have her own printer or scanner yet so made a note to deal with that later. Back downstairs she printed the letter in the study and made a copy of the Professor's letter. She was back with her father thirty minutes after being sent on her errand.

"Excellent, I'll drop this into the post office as soon as I've confirmed your mother's address in Lausanne. Did you want to go back into town for anything?"

"I still need some bits from the stationers."

First Richard gave Tammy a form to sign, he'd already completed all the other details. She just signed it without looking too closely, her father was trusted that much. They were in the town thirty minutes later, firstly to the stationers.

Tammy went to the rear end of the shop and asked one of the staff to help her with her chosen item, a combined printer/scanner/fax.

"Anything for a wee lass."

Her father was hanging around by the best-selling paperback display when Tammy and her tame assistant arrived.

"Dad, be a dear and carry this for me. Thank you, er, George."

"No problem. Now, can we get some passport photos?"

That was done, however Tammy wasn't quite finished in town, she needed more shoes so spent an hour choosing then rejecting shoes. In the end she gained two pairs of shoes and three pairs of boots. Her father was just beginning to realise one of the downsides of having a daughter.

Richard in the meantime went to the post office where he stuck one of the passport photos to the form before posting it to the Driver & Vehicle Licencing Authority in Swansea. He also made certain that Tammy's letter to her mother was sent air mail.

Despite this he was still upbeat as they drove back. Once in her room Tammy quickly unpacked the multifunction device and plugged it into the phone line, she could use it to send faxes if necessary.It was also a wireless printer so needed configuring for the home network. She checked her emails, there was only one, from John Hibbert.

"Tom,
 
there was a TV crew up here asking asking questions and I thought I heard your name mentioned, but the Head called the police and had them removed. I don't know what was said as we weren't allowed to get close enough to hear too much, but I'm worried for you.
 
John"

 

"John,
 
thanks for your concern, they also came here but I was seeing the doctor at the time. My father is here and he's dealing with it. I can promise I'm quite safe.
 
T."

Tammy had to be a little vague right now, especially with email, as they could be forwarded very easily. She knew that John would never do it deliberately but couldn't take the risk. She went down to find her dad.

"That TV van made it up to the school as well."

"Elsie just told me, the Head's worried about bad publicity."

"I would have thought John McPherson would be a bigger problem."

"Maybe, but the latest issue is always the biggest problem, regardless what that issue is."

"So, do we need to persuade the media that John McPherson is their biggest problem?"

"I already did."

"How?"

"Tomorrow a story will appear in The Scotsman about a catering manager who is due in court next week. That will cause the rest of the media to descend on him. He'll be the headline story on the local news. Elsie has prepared a statement for the press which the school will release this afternoon."

"But this is her son."

"Yes, but you need protecting, and so does your school. By doing this John will have no way to get at you, it would be seen as a futile attempt to divert from his own problems. If he wants help he'll have to beg to his mother, the one he walked out on."

"So this might bring him back?"

"Yes, strange isn't it."

"Strange isn't the right word."

Richard's mobile rang.

"Hello?"

"Richard it's Gerald. About this letter from your daughter, who wrote it?"

"She did, that's her signature. Speak to her as well if you wish, she's your latest client."

"I needed to ask the question, you know I'll be asked."

"Yes, by the way the whole letter was her idea."

"Richard, I can see where she got her tact."

"Like father, like daughter?"

"Indeed. I'll fax the usual new client paperwork for signature."

"We'll return it straight away."

Tammy went back to her room to listen to the radio. She typed a quick email to John Hibbert suggesting he check The Scotsman's website in the morning. He'd know what to do next. Richard meanwhile took refuge in the sitting room with the day's copy of The Telegraph. He fell asleep under the paper and was woken by Thomas informing him that dinner was ready.

They all went to their rooms soon after dinner, the house was quiet before nine that evening.
 
 
Friday 28th November
 
Each of them was up early on Friday morning, for different reasons. Elsie prepared for the governors meeting, copying each of Tammy's letters twelve times. Richard needed to prepare documents for his solicitor relating to the divorce and Tammy had coursework to do, not forgetting rehearsing her lines for the play.

Thomas entered the study after knocking and handed Richard a copy of The Scotsman. The story was on page four, titled

Catering Manager sacked after food Poisoning
 
Twenty eight year old John McPherson is due in court on Tuesday charged with offences under the Environmental Health legislation. It is alleged that he directly caused a food poisoning incident at a private school in Caithness due to negligence.
 
We have spoken to the school, which has asked for anonymity for the safety of the students, and have confirmed that their catering manager has been dismissed but gave no further details. We found Mr McPherson at his address in Thurso but he refused to speak to our reporter.

Richard smiled, he then realised who else needed to see the article.

Elsie slipped out of the house not long after nine with the newspaper under her arm, she needed to be at the school well before the meeting. One of the problems she knew about in advance was the teacher George Small, who was the only member of the teaching staff so far to have encountered Tammy.

About the same time Richard found Tammy in her room and reminded her that they were needed in Wick by ten. She found him outside the front door, the car-door open. As soon as Tammy closed the door they were moving. The journey should take forty minutes, Richard managed it in thirty-five, but they still only just made it to the out patients department at Wick General Hospital on time.

Less than an hour later they were on their way back, the technician not saying anything beyond 'thank you and goodbye'.

Once back at the house Richard decided that the only way he could get his work started was to hide in the study. He'd received a box of documents from his secretary and fortunately had online access to his remaining accounts and investments.

He had instructed his secretary, Tanya, to arrange for a valuation on the London house, and to change the alarm code. Although Tanya was officially employed by the bank, and Richard was now on leave, he also employed Tanya one day per week as his private PA. It was an arrangement that worked for both of them, Tanya was more than compensated for her dual role.

Richard also knew that his prolonged leave of absence would cause the bank to appoint a temporary replacement, probably Richard's deputy, who would cost less than Richard. He was busy establishing himself in Thurso, whether he knew it or not.

During the course of the late morning Tammy made good headway with her coursework, the lack of interruptions helped. She brought several projects up-to-date and found she had full access to the school library index. Those books and documents not available through the library would have to be ordered online. She sent an email to the librarian, asking that any of her reservations be delivered to the school office marked for the McPherson house.

By lunch both Richard and Tammy were ready for a break. Michael had returned from college so the three of them sat in the conservatory at the smaller table, it was ridiculous to use the huge dining room table under the circumstances. Conversation was light, Michael wasn't aware of the latest happenings so kept quiet. Nothing at this point had been heard from the school and Tammy was getting a little twitchy.

"Tammy, there's no point worrying, we'll find out their decision when they're ready."

They both went back to their work, but at one thirty Richard came to find Tammy.

"You've got an appointment, grab your things."

"What appointment?"

"A hair appointment. Get moving!"

They walked into Sandy's salon at two and Tammy was immediately taken to a washing station. She still had extensions in her hair but Sandy removed these before washing and conditioning her hair. New longer extensions would be used.

Richard left them working on his daughter then walked the short distance to Sarah's shop, where he found Mrs McIntosh talking to Sarah.

"Good morning Richard," said Sarah as he walked in. Anne McIntosh repeated the greeting. "Is Tammy with Sandy?"

"Yes, just left her there. I think she'll be some time."

"At least an hour, probably two if you booked the full treatment, I just hope Joanne doesn't get her hand on Tammy this time, although I doubt she needs another one this soon."

"Another what?"

"Waxing."

"Hmmm, I hadn't considered that, are you sure I shouldn't have asked Sandy for that?"

"Yes, Tammy only had her bikini line done a week ago."

"Okay, leave it there. I don't need to know any more."

The two women laughed.

"Richard, I take it you're here for a reason?"

"Yes, is it that obvious? I'm worried how Tammy might take a rejection."

"Richard, I've talked to my husband and I feel that's unlikely but he can't speak for the governors themselves." Anne McIntosh was being open about her interference in the issue.

"Richard, I'll be there for Tammy. I'm the one who put her in this position so I will be there for her."

"Sarah, Anne, thank you. That's what I hoped to hear."

"Richard, you know we will be there for her, Elsie has invited us to dinner tomorrow, weren't you aware?"

Richard wanted to talk to Sarah about her business and his offer to help with the contracts but felt, rightly, that it would not be appropriate to discuss this in front of Anne. He decided to pick up a long skirt in Tammy's size and asked the women's opinion.

"It will suit her." "Good idea."

He realised that they knew he was buying this to make Tammy feel happier, regardless of the outcome today. He paid and walked back to the car. He took a drive round the area, passing John McPherson's flat, spotting John's car with a 'for sale' sign in the window.

Richard knew he was partly responsible for John's need to sell the car but he knew he had a duty to protect Tammy. In this case John had to suffer, at least in the short term, so he would realise that bigotry is not welcome anywhere.

Richard continued his journey until he reached a car dealership. Richard's own car was still in London but he knew the cost of bringing it this far north was excessive. His plan was that he'd have a car both ends of the country until his, and his daughter's, long-term future was confirmed.

Given the extreme landscape and the type of winters northern Scotland has, Richard considered that he needed a 4x4 cars, unsurprisingly latching onto a Land Rover Freelander, identifying and costing some of the options. The dealer offered a credit deal, Richard just suggested they charge it all to his card, after he confirmed a delivery date of the following Wednesday. He also made a note of speaking to his insurance company. By the time he was done with the paperwork he had to head straight back to collect Tammy. She wasn't quite finished when he walked into the warm salon.

"Richard, do you mind taking a seat? she'll only be a minute or two."

"Not at all, I can't see Tammy though."

"She's out the back with Joanne."

"I thought ..."

"Don't worry."

Richard sat and picked up one of the magazines on the adjacent table, he then put Cosmo back down, it wasn't his normal reading material. he barely noticed his daughter returning to the main area.

"Hi dad."

"Hello Tammy, you look lovely, really."

"Thanks." She stretched up on her toes to give him a kiss on the cheek. He paid and they walked to the car.

"What was Joanne doing? I thought you didn't need a wax this time."

"We were talking, that's all. She had some information for me."

Richard knew he shouldn't ask any more so waited before they reached the car. The paperwork from the dealership was spread across the passenger seat, Tammy pretended not to notice it whilst her father moved it to the rear seats. In the process he picked up the carrier bag.

"Oh dad, it's lovely. I'll wear it tonight for the rehearsal. Don't forget I need to be there well before seven."

The ride home was good but both knew there could be some news. When they walked into the house it was apparent that Elsie wasn't there. In fact apart from Thomas there was no-one.

"Miss Smart, there is a telephone message for you in your room. Mr Smart there is some post for you."

"Thank you Thomas."

Tammy scampered up the stairs, dropping the shopping bag on her bed then sat at the writing table to look at the message. It was a very simple request to call Alison.

"Hi."

"Hi Tammy, how are you?"

"I think I'm alright but there's a meeting today about me at the school."

"Tammy, you know things will sort themselves out."

"I know, but what do I do if .." Tammy started to cry.

"Tammy, talk to me."

"Yes Alison." Tammy dried her eyes on a tissue.

"Come on, be strong girl. You have everything and everyone on your side."

"I suppose so."

"I know so. What are you doing this evening?"

"Rehearsal."

"Great, but you can't sing if you're crying, can you?"

"Yeah."

"Look girl, if you don't cheer up I'm jumping on the plane."

"Yes Nurse Alison."

Alison rang off muttering threats as there was a knock on her bedroom door. Tammy walked across and found her father on the other side.

"Tammy, can you come to the study please."

She followed her father into the study where Elsie and her headmaster were waiting.

"Tammy, could you take a seat? This won't take long." Tammy couldn't read Elsie's face. Her headmaster spoke next.

"Tammy, as you know the governors met today to discuss your future at the school. I must say that there was a great deal of discussion and many individual views were aired. What was obvious is that you do have support but with reservations. The meeting has decided to postpone a final decision pending more medical evidence."

Tammy looked relieved.

"However, one member of staff, himself a governor, has made an allegation that you lied to him. He is asking for your exclusion for this reason and for bringing the school into disrepute.

"No!" Tammy collapsed.

up
426 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

darn it!

poor Tammy ...

DogSig.png

cliffhanger!

Can I stand the suspense- darned committee decisions, we need Tammy to have some positive experiences soon!

Still a very fresh story

Even though this is fourth or fifth time i have read it. Thanks so very much for the repost.

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Thank you Shiraz,

Poor Tammy, like all transitions she crosses one bridge only to find another, thank heavens she has the family support.

ALISON

Is It George Small?

joannebarbarella's picture

But if it is, why? She really didn't lie to him when they met; she avoided the issue.

Waiting with bated breath.

An exclusion?

Sounds like expulsion. It will be interesting to hear his reasons.

Redirection

Jamie Lee's picture

Nothing can foil an personal attack better than to have the attacker placed under the magnifying glass. John has no experience in playing human chess, so it was an easy matter for an experienced Richard to redirect the inquires. Now it's John who is on the ropes to try and duck the inquires.

Richard realizing how much he's missed of Tom's life, has become the doting father for Tammy. Even to the point of taking an unpaid leave of absence. And evaluating whether to stay with his current position or move on.

Tammy has found many are on her side, wanting her to succeed and willing to help if needed. Even Sarah's business picked up with Tammy in the shop.

If one of the governors believes Tammy lied to him then it's up to that governor to provide proof. This governor must understand that if he didn't ask the right question, but Tammy answered truthfully to the question he did ask, then there was no lie. As to bring disrepute to the school, John is the one responsible. No one outside a select few knew what school Tammy had been attending, so how did Tammy bring disrepute to the school when she wasn't the one actually present.

Others have feelings too.