The Rose (Chapters 16-18)

Printer-friendly version

A meeting on the beach brings two people together and changes the world.
This is not your usual Maggie the Kitten story. It is an adult story, a romance, if you will.
I think you will enjoy it. Holly

The Rose (Chapters 16-18)

Written by Maggie the Kitten

Edited by Holly Hart and Shelly Shalimar

 
Chapter Sixteen
New Conceptions
 
Cindy was overcome by more emotions than she could find words to express as she stared at Caroline, silent and doe-eyed. She was trying to at least get a thank you out, when reality crept into her dream and threatened to shatter it.

“Forgive me, I … I want that to be true with all my heart, but I don’t know HOW that can be? Prue tested me this morning before we left France, and she said I wasn't pregnant yet. “So how … how?”

Caroline smiled knowingly. “Cindy, Prue is a wonderful woman and a gifted doctor, but there is a life within you now that no test she can run will show. The new soul comes to the mother even before its body grows within you. I think if anyone can understand how the soul and the body are two separate entities it would be you my dear."

The older woman smiled compassionately, gently squeezing Cindy's hand, wishing that it was a lesson the young woman had never learned as she did. Seeing that Cindy understood, but still needed more, she gave it to her. "Now as far as being pregnant in ways that Prue can measure and the rest of the world can understand, it will come before you leave England. This I promise you Cindy, so now child, please let go of your fears.”

Cindy hugged her second mother tightly, her fears releasing with the ocean of happy tears that began flowing freely. ‘Thank you’ wasn’t enough, so she added ‘I love you’ as well. The grandmother-to-be, wiped her own tears away, and thanked her for bringing love into Lynx’s life and a child into all of their lives. Before Cindy could start a second round of tears, her handsome father-in-law appeared to ask her for a dance, as Tess and Rich had struck up a little music for the party. Caroline winked at Cindy, and shooed her off to trip the light fantastic with Christian.

When Lynx finally cut in on his father, Cindy was almost literally dancing on air as she was gushing with the news his mother had given her. Having seen his mother’s and his twin sister’s gift first hand, he didn’t doubt it now, and smiled lovingly at his wife. They did however decide not to say anything about Caroline’s diagnosis to anyone else save for Tess, who knew already. It wasn't so much that her family and friends wouldn't believe, as it was just a personal joy they wanted to cherish alone for a while. They continued to dance until Lynx noticed the rosy glow about Cindy's complexion. Taking that as a sign, he spirited her away from the dance to present her his daily pledge of his love, the rose.

Cindy’s Journal - June 7th
 
“It’s been the most wonderful day ever. When we got to Ally and Andy’s house, everyone I love was there. Shelly had set up a big surprise party for us. Even Lynx’s parents came in from Denmark. I haven’t really written much about Lynx’s parents, but they are wonderful people and his mother, well his mother and his sister Tess have an incredible gift. They just kind of know things sometimes in ways most people don’t believe is possible, but I believe. She told me that I was pregnant, a kind of pregnant that doesn’t show up on a medical scan. She says our baby’s soul is already within me. I think that means I can really talk to YOU now. Well honey, I don’t know if you can hear me, but if you can, there is one thing I want you to know above all else, no two people in this world will ever love you more than your father and I do."

During the time before Cindy's play at the Eastborn tournament, both she and Lynx did their best to make the most of the surprise family reunion. Cindy finally got the chance to have a long talk with Jenna. She had been with her at the concert in Australia, but things had been so hectic they'd not gotten the chance to talk all night like they used to in college, and she was dying to hear how married life was treating her best friend. Jenna's face lit up as she confessed. “Just looking at Rich makes my toes curl, and the most wonderful feeling in the world is being his Lady and waking up next to my Lord each morning.” She also added that they'd been "stork hunting" as of late, and although they hadn't caught one, they sure were enjoying the chase. It was obvious to Cindy that married life was more than agreeing with her friend and sister.

The girls got together for a ladies night "in", so to speak, as they all gathered together IN Ally's kitchen at about 2:00 am to devour German chocolate brownies, Death by ME (Mass Extinction) chocolate cake and a two gallon tub of chocolate dip cookie dough ice cream. Everything from babies to the boys were discussed, including Tess giving them the latest on her never-ending quest for Bob.

The kiss at the New Year's Eve, which she talked about freely since EVERYONE knew, had been absolutely incredible. She hadn't gotten the chance to go back for seconds since, but she was hoping this reunion might be an encore if Bob felt like she did, and she was pretty sure he did. Even though they hadn't spent much time together, they had been running up some pretty pricey phone bills with their frequent long distance chats. ”I don’t think it’s so much a chase now, as it is the two of us trying to find just the right pace so we can walk together.”

Everyone there wished Tess all the best, and no one was more supportive than her own mother. For Tess, nothing was more important than knowing she had her mother's support in this, and considering she was in love with a man old enough to be father, most mothers wouldn't be offering it willingly. Caroline however wasn't “most” mothers, a fact she continued to prove with each passing day.

Lynx and the rest of the men spent their "boys only" time together as well, and for Lynx, the best time of that was spending some quality time with his father. The ocean and a sailing boat weren’t handy, but the woods were and they took several long walks. Nothing really earth shattering was discussed, it was just a father and his son enjoying the beautiful scenery, the fresh air, and most of all, each other's company.

Somehow in the midst of all the fun and late night socializing, Cindy managed to get in her usual ball smashing for the coming tournament and to give Prue her chance to do the old poke, prod, and prick. The babymaker appeared to be right on line, but still no rabbits had been put to death in her honor. Prue noted, but did not comment that Cindy had seemed much more relaxed since she'd arrived at Ally and Andy's. Naturally, she attributed that to being out of the public's eye and in the bosom of her family, not knowing the Cheshire cat grin Cindy bore was from the good news Caroline had given her.

She went into the Eastbourn tournament well rested after her extended stay in the country, feeling much more at ease about the child to come, and excited about being able to perform with all her friends and family in attendance. With all that going for the number one player in women's professional tennis, she couldn't possibly do anything else other than win, but that was exactly what she did, as she lost in the finals to England’s Wendy Turner, who was also on top of her game.

It was a disappointing loss for Cindy, but she didn't have time to dwell on it as the premier jewel in tennis was, but a week away. The Sunshine Superstar was looking to extend her perfect record at Wimbledon by doing what no other woman or man had done before, win five consecutive singles titles. Her previous four victories there had been incredible triumphs, but the thought of going where no player had gone before, and doing it with all those she loved in attendance, was pure magic. Yet, with sports history in the making, it still wasn't top billing on Cindy's mind as her thoughts were more on her baby, and the hope Prue would soon confirm the diagnosis Caroline had already given her.

Cindy, as the result of being the number one seed in the tournament, received a pass for the opening round. Of course, being such a media draw she was obligated to make her self available for the usual Q & A with the press, which she tolerated graciously as always, and then she got the chance to do the part of the job she enjoyed much more, chatting with the young fans. As she looked into the smiling faces of the children whose dream was to one day be center court at Wimbledon, she wondered when Prue was going to announce that she was having a little Wimbledon-hopeful of her own. In two weeks, they'd be heading back to LA, and Cindy refused to believe that Caroline’s prediction could be wrong.

Late that afternoon Prue took another blood test. At 10:30 pm. that night she came to Cindy and Lynx's room with a bottle of champagne and her widest grin ever. When Lynx answered the door, the perky doctor kissed him on the cheek and proudly proclaimed, "We're pregnant!"

Cindy, the actual "she" in the "we", was just walking in from the kitchen when she saw and heard Prue. Immediately, she joined the hugfest, getting a peck from the Kiwi as well. Happy tears rolled down Cindy's cheeks as she thanked Prue, and then begged Lynx to hold her. He did so willingly and while Prue went to alert the others, he danced her around the room, softly singing ‘The Rose’.

By 11:30 everyone was up and aware, and a full-scale party was in progress at Lynx and Cindy's suite. Prue's bottle of spirits had been emptied, and quite a few more followed suit, but both Ally and Cindy were ‘tea’-totalers due to their expectant conditions, and for them it was the sweetest cup of tea they'd ever tasted.

The festivities lasted until the wee hours of the morning, as Cindy and Lynx were kissed, hugged and congratulated to the point they feared bruising, yet they never complained once. They had just been given the best news of their life and they had almost everyone there they wanted to share it with. They couldn't be happier. By the time everyone cleared out it was nearly dawn. Lynx tried to clean up and wanted Cindy to lie down for an hour or two, but Cindy was too excited to sleep and reached for her diary.

Cindy’s Journal - June 25th
 
“It’s official now, my darling. Construction has begun, and I can’t wait to hold the finished product in my arms. I know when I see you for the first time I will think you are the most beautiful baby there has ever been, but I make you this promise. If you ever feel like you're in the wrong house, then you come to mommy and daddy and we'll talk about it, and if we need to change anything, don't worry. Your mommy has a lot of experience with house remodeling. It's so wonderful knowing that you are growing within me as I write. I want to find the words for you, but there aren't any that do this feeling justice. If I had to pick one word, it would be "everything," because you mean everything to me, and if it’s possible, even more. According to Prue, I have about 8 or so more months to figure out words to describe what it will be like the first time I see you and hold you in my arms. I think I better start reading the dictionary."

Cindy's first match was in the second round at 1:00 pm, which meant she and Lynx had some very big decisions to make in a very short time. Fortunately, they'd spent a good part of the last few months preparing for this day and knew exactly what they wanted to do; however considering without Prue none of this would have been possible, they spent the better part of the morning discussing it with her. The pretty doctor, who had been supportive throughout, said she was still ready to play it however they wanted to, because the most important thing to her was the baby’s safety and their happiness.

Once Prue said she felt the baby would be in no danger if Cindy completed this tournament, they made their decision and informed the family. Cindy would play Wimbledon, and then immediately after its conclusion she would announce her retirement. Obviously this would create quite a stir, but nothing compared to what would happen when she told the world the reason.

Both of them were honest people, and neither had liked the game of cloak and dagger they'd been playing since the whole thing started, but at the time, they weren't ready to deal with the storm that was sure to come over something that might not be. Now their dream had become a reality, and it was time to stand up and tell the truth. They hoped the world would welcome this miracle, but if it didn't, that wouldn't matter. They had each other, their family and their baby. They didn't need the rest of the world or its acceptance.

Cindy went into her second round match physically exhausted after not having slept in a day and a half, but the joy of knowing she was carrying a living miracle within her, combined with the knowledge that now, each match could be her last, carried her to victory. The Sunshine Superstar battled her way into the semi-finals where she downed the Irish Cheetah for the last time, doing it in straight sets 6-3 6-4, setting the stage for her last Wimbledon finals.

As they walked off the court, the Cheetah shook her head, “I’ve never seen you so intense. Golly, girl. One would think you were giving it your all because you were never going to play again.”

Cindy smiled enigmatically, “Maybe it’s just that I’ve never felt better.”

Her previous four championships at Wimbledon had all been wonderful, but considering this was her fifth and final, it would have almost been an injustice had it not been against her toughest competitor, and the woman who’d shared the princess crown with for five years. Cindy had gotten the better of Chrissy in the two other Wimbledon finals they'd shared. Chrissy was hoping for her, the third time was the charm she needed, while Cindy was hoping she could bow out of professional tennis with a win on its grandest stage.

Year’s later people would be talking about Cindy and Lynx's announcement after the match as one of the biggest news events ever, and it was, but for those who saw the match that came before, they witnessed two women giving one of the finest tennis exhibitions ever played. It took three sets, and each went down to the tiebreaker. As she had in their previous two finals, Chrissy took the first set and Cindy rallied to take the second by matching her 7-5. The third and final set was another 7-5 with 12 match points, and each women having victory down to one final shot 6 times.

Cindy's last shot was one that made her double's partner proud as she put all she had into one final push and charged the net like the Irish Cheetah, pouncing on Chrissy's return and smashing it back past her to win her final match. Cindy nearly collapsed on the net, having just enough energy to hug Chrissy when she came over to congratulate her before the two exhausted warriors helped each other off the court to the appreciative applause of all in attendance.

As they were leaving the court arm in arm, Cindy asked Chrissy, “Remember what you told me the first time we met here? You said, “put all the heckling out of your mind and ENJOY it, because it doesn’t get any better than this. Now let’s just go out and give them their money’s worth, okay? Thank you for so many wonderful years.”

Chrissy gave her a puzzled look.

Cindy finished, “I want to start enjoying it more, too,” leaving her even more puzzled.

After the award was presented to Cindy, the world waited to hear her thoughts on winning her fifth consecutive Wimbledon title. When she asked the crowd to open a path so Lynx and Prue could stand with her, no one in attendance or watching on television could know they were witnessing an historic event of far more significance than a tennis record. As prearranged, Cindy would speak first, then Lynx, and finally Prue, as by that point she would be most qualified to answer the technical questions that were sure to come.

When Lynx reached Cindy, he handed her the day’s rose and kissed her softly. The world’s love affair with their love affair, had all in attendance cheering wildly. As the pair savored the sweet kiss, they both held hope those cheers would hold when they walked off the court.

Cindy slipped her free hand into Lynx’s and then flanked by her soul mate, and her friend and doctor, she began. “As I stand here before you I feel so fortunate and so blessed. As most all of you know, there was a time in my life I thought I would never be able to use those words to describe my existence, but now I have so much to be thankful for. I’ve been able to realize dreams I feared were never possible. I’ve played tennis against the best players in the world, on the greatest stages in the world, and I’ve been fortunate enough to win my share and then some.

Of all the men in the world, and I’ll admit I’m prejudiced, I found the most beautiful, loving, compassionate and magical prince that any girl could ever dream of, and for reasons that defy logic, he loves me as much as I love him. Friends and family who have loved and supported me when I could do neither myself surround me. And as I look into this crowd I feel blessed to meet the smiling faces and receive the warm feelings, the respect and the acceptance all of you hold for me.

I’m reminded now of my first “public appearance,” walking up the steps of my high school. The reception I received that day was not so pleasant, as the reception was born of fear and ignorance, and I wondered if anyone outside my family would ever accept me and treat me as the girl I really was. The fact that I am standing here today and feeling such love from all of you, proves how far we both have come, and that knowledge, love and compassion are the keys to eradicating prejudice in all forms.”

The Wimbledon faithful roared their approval of Cindy’s heartfelt words, and she gave them the moment, as she drew strength from Lynx to continue. “Thank you, thank you. So, with knowledge, love and compassion in mind, I hope we can also add understanding to the list, as my husband and my good friend and doctor have a few things to share with you. We believe there is truly no bad news in what we have to say, and I hope you’ll agree. Now saying that, I’ll lead off with the lesser announcement, deferring to my husband the honor of the greater. If you will, please hold all comments and questions to the end.”

Seeing an anxious but quieted crowd complying with her wishes Cindy took a deep breath and then began. “Tennis has meant so much to me in my life. It started out as therapy, eventually becoming a great love, and finally it helped you and I get to know and accept each other. I have gained so much from the game that I have no regrets now with my decision. Effective immediately, I am retiring from professional tennis, and I believe after my husband fills you in on the reason, you will accept and respect it as you have me.”

Cindy’s statement stunned and silenced the crowd as disappointed cries rang out from the saddened multitude. Reporters, trying to get the inside story, forgot Cindy’s plea for patience and started firing questions among the sea flashes. Lynx waved his hand, asking them to settle down. Tess, seeing her brother’s lack of success let loose her patented wolf whistle from courtside, and the crowd immediately quieted. Lynx smiled his thanks to his sister and picked up where Cindy had left off.

“Please, if you will all be patient, I have a few things to discuss and a confession to make. Shortly after Cindy’s victory at the Australian Open, we had a meeting in New Zealand with Doctor Prudence Walker.”

Lynx smiled at the petite pixie before continuing. “Not long after that meeting, she joined us, and has been a welcome addition to our family ever since. Originally we quietly began a rumor that Cindy had been experiencing some back problems due to a genetic defect the women in her family carry and Dr. Walker was treating her for that condition. It is true that the women in Cindy’s family have back problems due to a genetic disorder, and Dr. Walker’s is an expert in genetics, but Cindy’s back isn’t causing her to retire, and we were totally untruthful to you about the reason Dr. Walker has been seeing her. We are basically honest people, but we felt that considering what was at stake here, it would be best to wait until the right time to share the truth with the public.

Part of why we reached that decision is based on something that Cindy has just shared with you. That day she re-entered her high school she didn’t receive the warmest of welcomes. To some, she was that weird boy who wanted to be a girl. To others, she was a news story, a picture in the paper or on television, and to some, she was nothing but a definition in a medical textbook. To others, she was a freak, an oddity, an abnormality, and even an abomination against some people’s personal beliefs. Cindy’s family even received letters that said people like her ought to be exterminated.

That was the fear and ignorance she spoke of, but it was there because these people didn’t KNOW Cindy. However, once her fellow students, her tennis opponents, and most of the world realized she was a life, a human being, and a woman born with a defect who wants the same things out of life we all do, then that fear and ignorance melted away. THIS is why we’ve waited to tell you. We didn’t want to give you theories, or possibilities, or more definitions out of medical textbooks that you could argue and debate .

We wanted to wait until we could give you something that was undeniably real, undeniably beautiful and undeniably life, something that you could accept, and hopefully learn to love as you have both of us. Well now we can, and I am proud beyond words to say that with the help of a brilliant and compassionate woman, Dr. Prudence Walker, Cindy and I have been blessed with a miracle, the miracle of life. We’re having a baby and we hope you’ll share our joy. Thank you.”

That being Prue’s cue, she slipped to the front as Lynx said that she’d graciously agreed to answer some questions, especially the technical ones that neither he nor Cindy could possibly answer. After introducing Prue, he led Cindy off court, adding, “If you’ll excuse us, I’d like to get Cindy home so she can get some rest and then send me back out at 3:00 am for pickles and ice cream.”

That allowed Lynx and Cindy to leave them laughing as Shelly met them with a hug before she joined Prue center stage to deal with the press and public. Once out of the public eye, Cindy nearly collapsed into Lynx’s arms as the combination of her grueling match and the stress of the press conference had completely exhausted her. Lynx lifted his love into his arms and carried her out to the limousine where most everyone else was already waiting for them. Shelly and Prue followed about twenty minutes later with reporters still in hot pursuit. Press and public reluctantly gave way as the car made its way through the crowd.

It had already been decided to head back to Ally and Andy’s for a few more days to allow the media frenzy to cool a bit, and then sadly, it would be time to say good-bye as everyone needed to return to their own worlds. As they headed to Devon, most thoughts were on what had just transpired and overall how well it had went.

The crowd at Wimbledon had been reeling from Cindy’s announcement of retirement, and were obviously shocked when Lynx told them the seemingly impossible reason why, but both their words had touched them, and by the time they’d left the court, most all that had regained the power of speech were cheering wildly for the “royal couple” and their little prince or princess to come.

Prue and Shelly both commented on how well their brief Q & A session had gone after Lynx and Cindy had left, yet each made a valid point. Prue noted they’d had the element of surprise in their favor, and the press simply wasn’t prepared to ask informed questions. She also added. “That is probably your last free pass, and any future interviews will probably be much more intense as your adversaries will be prepared.

Shelly smiled and remarked, “Making that the announcement on the tennis court was like making it at a Lynx and the Kool Kats concerts. Most everyone in attendance was a Sunshine Superstar fan or a least a die-hard tennis fan, and the two of you could pretty much count on their support. The question is, did you reach the rest of the world who were tuned in? I hope you did, as the next meeting will not be on a “home court” and the fans might not be so friendly.”

The proud parents-to-be knew Shelly and Prue’s observations were on the mark, but they’d been down this road before. Cindy had walked it when she’d climbed those steps to her school, and both of them had walked it when they’d announced their engagement at Wembley Stadium. They knew the world, or at least part of it, might never understand or accept them. Today, they’d poured their hearts out in hope they would, but when all was said and done, it didn’t really matter, because as long as they had their family, their friends, each other and now, their child, they had all the love, understanding and acceptance they truly needed.

Cindy’s Journal - July 4th,
 
Well my little darling the rest of the world knows about you or should by the time they read tomorrow's paper. Welcome to celebrity status. I guess you might say it's a family tradition, or curse (giggle). Your father and I felt now was the right time to tell the world about you, because we don't like being dishonest, and because we hope they can share in the joy you give us. Now, there are some people out there who at first aren't going to be as happy about you as the crowd at Wimbledon was today. Some people will say your father and I shouldn't be allowed to have you. Some people will say you should never be born, and sadly, some people might even fear you because they don't understand, or can't accept or are afraid to love, but don't you worry about that because I know in my heart it's all going to work out fine.

You see, some of the very same people in that crowd today who were cheering for us, used to say hateful things to me and tell me I had no right to be a woman, let alone play on the court against other women. If they can learn to accept and respect and even love ME, how could they not love YOU? How could anyone not love a baby? How could LIFE ever be wrong? How could anyone not be happy about a miracle? Your father and I believe in time that they will share in our joy for you, but regardless of what lies ahead, we will always love and protect you and that my darling you can be sure of."

The peace and quiet of Andy and Ally's farmhouse barely lasted a day, as reporters began encroaching on the place like weeds through the garden and somehow their private phone number had become suddenly public, as it began ringing non-stop until they finally took it off the hook.

As much as they all hated to leave, each had responsibilities waiting for them in the outside world. Cindy would have loved to stay an extra week or two with her sister, but with Ally being over six months pregnant, she had more than enough to be concerned about without having half the world's press camped out at her front door. Before leaving though she promised she'd do everything she could to be there when Ally had the baby.

Ally hugged her tightly, “I intend to do the same when you have yours”. Ally was as happy to be able to say those words to her little sister as Cindy was to be able to hear them.

When Lynx, Cindy and Prue arrived at Heathrow for their flight to New Zealand, they got a sampling of what the coming months would hold. As Prue had pointed out in the beginning, their celebrity status made them familiar with the pressures of having hordes of people shouting their name, and reporters jostling for position to push a mike or camera into their face. Most of the crowds they had dealt with were fans and supportive, but both, especially Cindy, had dealt with those that were not. Yet, neither was truly prepared for the circus they walked into. People both pro and con of the miracle that Cindy was carrying were almost as intent on fighting each other as they were for shouting their support, opposition or outright hatred at the couple and the doctor.

Their announcement at Wimbledon had sent shock waves throughout the world and the implications of Dr. Walker's work and Cindy's subsequent pregnancy had not only shocked the general public, but polarized special interest groups who felt it affected their beliefs. Right-to-life, pro-abortion, gay, lesbian, and transgender groups, along with representatives of every major religion and numerous medical and scientific organizations were on hand, with the usual music and tennis fans for the threesome’s departure. Security struggled to clear a path, as Lynx tried to lead Cindy and Prue toward the departure gate.

Eventually, Security found it easier to reverse course and get them into a security car that could go out onto the airfield. The plane pulled away from the terminal, stopping well out towards the runway, where an old fashioned boarding ladder let them, and a few other passengers who’d been stymied by the crowd, board in relative peace. It wasn't until they were finally airborne that any of them felt they could relax.

Prue turned in her seat to face the young couple and smiled sadly. "I knew it could be like this, and it could very well get worse. I'm really sorry you're having to go through it."

Lynx reached over to take the pretty pixie's hand. "You've no reason to apologize, Prue", adding with a smile and wink, "Besides, we knew this job was dangerous when we took it!"

Prue's precious smiled returned, as she thanked him. Cindy lifted her head from Lynx's shoulder to added her own sentiment as she held her rose for the day, which had been waiting aboard so it would not be damaged in the máªlée Lyn had expected at the airport. "Prue, I'm beginning the greatest journey any woman could ever hope for, and without your help, it would never be possible. You don't have ANYTHING to apologize for."

Prue's eyes misted and Cindy's threatened as well, until Lynx brought their smiles back as he turned to his wife and feigned injury. "Hey, I had a hand ... errr... some "part" in making this all possible."

Cindy winked at Prue before she giggled, "Well, maybe a SMALL part,., She emphasized just how small with an index finger to thumb measurement that had Lynx demanding a recount, and the girls laughing victoriously.


 
Chapter Seventeen
Rumblings
 
In between meals and short naps the threesome used the long flight to go over their strategy for the months to come. They were going to continue to be the three musketeers, with Prue either with them or nearby for the duration of the pregnancy. Prue was glad to be going home, as she’d been feeling like the houseguest that would never leave, and she promised them she'd disappear promptly after delivery, reappearing only for house calls and holidays. The hugs she received from Lynx and Cindy told her she was family now, and would always be welcome.

This trip back to New Zealand would become a regular excursion for the next six months. Provided Cindy and baby were in good health at each check up, Prue saw no reason why Cindy couldn't travel a bit to visit family or just relax at either of their homes in Denmark or California. However, during final two months of Cindy’s pregnancy, or sooner if conditions warranted, Prue would get the opportunity to play hostess at her home, as she wanted them near her hospital until the big moment came.

She was confident, and assured them so, that. “Provided there are no complications, you can probably have the baby at most any hospital with little or no risk, but IF there were complications, I want you at the best place possible, with the best staff on hand to deal with them, and that is MY facility.”

There was also the added benefit that peace and privacy were much easier to maintain at the isolated Chez Walker in New Zealand than just about anywhere else in the world. Considering their child's health was the concern, neither Cindy nor Lynx were about to argue with doctor's orders.

They also discussed the press and public issue in some detail. Requests for interviews would be coming from every newspaper, network and magazine in the world. As before, Prue deferred to Lynx and Cindy, telling them it would be their choice of how available they wanted to make themselves, and how much they were willing to share. Shelly had already offered her professional skills working with the media if and when they wanted to grant interviews. By the conclusion of the flight, they'd reached several decisions.

First, they weren't going to run and hide. Lynx and Cindy's extensive experience with the press and public had taught them two things: one, you can run from the press, but it's almost impossible to hide, and two, it's better to open up and give them the truth than give them nothing, and have them print lies.

Secondly, they also felt a certain responsibility considering their status as celebrities, and as recipients of this medical miracle, to share at least part of this experience with the world, hopefully eradicating some prejudices, and offering hope to other couples like themselves who thought natural parenthood wasn't possible for them.

Finally they decided to take Shelly up on her offer of assistance, not wanting another Abby Phillips fiasco. They decided to tell the world, just as they had told most of their family, with all three of them together. Having the threesome together on every interview, insured the best person possible would be there to field the questions and give the proper perspective.

As the plane prepared to land in New Zealand the three passengers had discussed many things that made this young couple's pregnancy different from other couples, but there was one thing that was very much the same; their joy at the prospect of parenthood, and their hope for a healthy baby.

Cindy's initial exam went well, as both mother and child passed all tests with flying colors. The four days they spent at Chez Walker were mostly fun-filled, with plenty of time for lazy walks along the beach and spooning in the hot tub, but at least one serious issue was discussed and dealt with.

Prue looked at Lynx as she said, “I have every confidence in the world that both mother and child will come through this pregnancy completely healthy, and if I didn’t I would never have offered this chance to Cindy, but in all pregnancies, even "normal" ones there is always a chance that things can go wrong, and difficult decisions will have to be made. Should the pregnancy prove to be hazardous to Cindy's health, it would be your decision and hers as how to proceed. It isn't a question I need an answer to today, but I have a strong feeling it could well be raised in the first interview you give.”

Lynx loved his wife and unborn child with all his heart and never wanted to have to choose between them. Even before Prue had broached the subject they'd already discussed it and had reached the only decision possible for them, together . Cindy took Lynx's hand and told Prue, “There really is no choice. I’m a mother. That means I gave life, and I can never take life, even to save my own.”

Prue nodded, realizing nothing more need be said.

Over the length of Cindy's pregnancy, her decision on this issue would be raised in interviews and debated by the press and public, but never second-guessed by Lynx, Cindy or their family.

After a short stay in New Zealand, Cindy felt it was time to return to their California home. She not only wanted to get home and spend some time with her parents and Bob, but being a USA girl, she needed to know how her own country would react to this miracle. She'd had rough times in her own backyard growing up, but for the most part she'd been treated like a favorite daughter after her marriage to Lynx and during her tennis career. She wanted to believe that if there was any place that would understand and welcome her still, it would be the land with the lady and the torch that promised to welcome all.

When they cleared customs in Los Angeles, they found a scene very similar to the one they'd faced at Heathrow in England, only larger. Security was not only struggling to open a path to get the threesome through the terminal, but also straining to keep the peace, as rival factions were breaking out in small skirmishes as opposing viewpoints exploded. It was nearly an hour before they were able to safely leave the airport and when they final got home, press and public were lined up to met them.

Lynx took one of Cindy’s arms and Prue took the other as they pushed past the swelling mob of dedicated supporters, angry adversaries, and those who were just plain curious. Once safely inside, and security had pushed a perimeter back to the road, Prue put on the kettle, Cindy kicked off her shoes and Lynx rubbed her feet.

Prue pushed back the draperies as she waited on the kettle, sighing sadly as she saw what appeared to be caravans moving in. No doubt some of the more diligent reporters and enthusiasts intended to set up for the long haul.

Prue had known, just as Cindy and Lynx had, that when they left the safe confines of Chez Walker, they would be wadding into a sea of public and press frenzy far greater than anything they’d experienced in their tennis and music careers. In a word, this was huge. It was life changing and life creating, and while this baby belonged exclusively to Cindy and Lynx, the implications of her research and Cindy’s pregnancy reached nearly every facet of society.

They had already decided while in New Zealand that they would eventually need to make themselves available to do some interviews, but after their reception in Los Angeles, they knew they needed to call Shelly and have her set something up right away. In their opinion, they needed to see if they could calm the storm before it got any worse.

Shelly, the public relations princess, suggested their first interview should be a television one, preferably with just one very respected newsperson. A television interview would take longer to arrange, and be more difficult to set up, but in Shelly's opinion ultimately better for their first public offering. Not only is television the best media to reach the most people worldwide, but also obviously, it’s more personal. Snap shots and type can't convey the feelings behind the words like a living image can, and a television appearance removes any possibility of the creative editing that Abby Phillips did with her magazine piece.

Finally, she added that getting a newspaper or magazine interview was as easy as opening their front door and telling security to let them in, but finding a reputable one was a little harder. She already had someone in mind for the television interview, and if they'd be willing, she'd trust them completely.

Lynx, Cindy and Prue were more than convinced by the woman they trusted completely, and told her to push forward as she thought best. Before Shelly hung up, she asked them where they'd prefer to have the interview. She suggested their home or perhaps the place where they first met, Bob's house. Cindy smiled and then whispered in Lynx's ear. He returned her smile, telling Shelly, “We'd prefer to have it at our home in Denmark.” The PR pixie noted their preference and said she get back with them after she made a few inquiries.

When Lynx gently asked why Cindy, the Sunshine Superstar and all-American California girl, had chosen their home in Denmark for the interview, she made him proud by saying, “The Sunshine Superstar is retired and now she's just the very happy pregnant wife of a very handsome Danish man. I want the world to see the beautiful place where my beloved was born, where we were married and where we'll be raising our child, at least part of the time.”

The handsome Danish husband wrapped his arms around his very happy pregnant wife and kissed her passionately.

While waiting for Shelly to arrange the television interview, Lynx and Cindy made phone calls to catch up with friends and family. It seemed far easier than to go visiting and brave the media circus that was on 24 hour alert along the road by their beach house. When it became obvious that the threesome wasn't coming out, the crafty reporters tried everything, from unordered pizza delivery at the front door to scuba diving their way onto the beach and trying the back door.

For Prue, being an instant celebrity was a new experience, and she was amazed at the lengths these people would go to just to get a snapshot or a few words. Lynx and Cindy were old hands at this game by now, saying they wouldn't be a bit surprised to see someone parachute in, since they’d turned back the land and water attack. For them it was more of an inconvenience that went with the territory, but what did upset them was the treatment their friends and family were receiving.

Thwarted at their efforts to get to Lynx, Cindy or Prue direct, the press and public did as they had done before and went after those closest to them. Cindy's parent's house was under siege nearly as badly as her own. Bob eventually talked them into staying with him, as his beachfront home offered them protection similar to Lynx and Cindy's. Ally and Andy were catching their share from those who'd brave the trek through the thick English countryside, and even Jenna and Rich, deep in the woods of British Columbia, were fending them off. Tess actually cancelled her visit to an orphanage in Paris because she was afraid the press hounding her might upset the children.

After checking in with her staff in New Zealand, Prue found out she wasn't immune either. Reporters were trying to talk to anyone they saw enter or leave the hospital, and the switchboard was lit up by barren genetic and transgendered women begging for a chance to have a child.

The young doctor's heart went out to all those women same as it had Cindy, and she found herself in tears over their plight. Eventually she hoped she could help them all, but right now all she could do was ask their patience and understanding. She found out when she would get her chance to do so as Shelly called back a few days later, saying she'd worked out the details for their televised interview from Denmark. She was also proud to announce she'd gotten the interviewer she'd wanted most of all, one of the most revered reporters of her generation: Betsy Warren.

Cindy’s Journal - July 12th
 
“I wish we could go down to the beach tonight, because I’d like to share the view with you. There is a full moon to write by, but we don’t dare. You know, your father and I met on this very same beach, only a little further along the coast at your Uncle Bob's, (I know you'll love Uncle Bob. He's so wonderful, especially with kids). Your father first proposed to me there. Of course your silly mother ran off scared, but fortunately your father gave me a second chance and this time I got it right.

We've spent a lot of wonderful time on this beach, and on the water too. Your father is an excellent sailor. I'm sure he'll have you out there tying proper knots and steering rudder before you can walk. He really loves the ocean. I guess it's that sea heritage in his Danish blood. Speaking of Denmark, we're going to be leaving for there tomorrow. I really think you're going to like it there. It's a very beautiful place with lots of ocean and lakes and beautiful countryside. Now it gets just a little bit colder there than it does here in California, but don't worry. I'll knit you plenty of wooly jumpers to keep you warm and we'll all snuggle together by the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. Your Aunt Tess and your grandma and grandpa Oldenburg live there too, and ... Santa's Claus' workshop isn't too terribly far away. I think you're going to love Denmark very much.

The next day they left LAX International Airport with the same fanfare they'd entered it. Prue spent most of the trip donning her infamous black-rimmed glasses and poring over medical reports. So far every test had come back perfect, and there'd been no problems, but Prue didn't like waiting around for them to show up. She wanted to find even the slightest hint that they could be coming and deal with them before they got there. She felt that considering what was at stake, it was just too important to leave anything to chance, but those feelings weren't necessarily directed toward her ground-breaking research.

For her, it was something far bigger than whether or not the medical community recognized her breakthrough or if she won the Nobel Prize. It was about taking care of Cindy and bringing this tiny little life safely into this world. To her, nothing was more important.

Lynx used some of his free time to finish a song he'd been working on. Even though Lynx and the Kool Kats rarely perform anymore or produced new material, Lynx still loved to create musical magic, even if no one else heard it but his beloved. Cindy, be it from the stress of recent events, or her body working overtime to adjust to the new life within, was exhausted, but still couldn't catch sleep. Lynx, getting in a little pre-child practice, decided to put his "big girl" to sleep with a song. The master musician’s beautiful voice and sweet soft guitar filled the cabin and he was soon rewarded by Cindy’s sleepy smile. Even Prue had to stop and listen, mesmerized by this minstrel's gift. By the conclusion of that song and one other, Cindy had drifted off. "Daddy" winked at Prue, who smiled and told him he was a natural. To Lynx that compliment meant more to him than the highest praise he'd ever received in the music world.

The reception at Copenhagen for their favorite son and adopted daughter, was nearly as big as their previous airport entrances, but to our new arrivals relief, a bit more reserved, and definitely warmer. The press was still pushing each other for that exclusive, but at least the public wasn’t swinging signs or hitting each other over the head with them.

From Copenhagen they decided to change the travel itinerary a bit. Instead of catching the commuter jet to Oldenburg, they took the scenic train route. Lynx had wanted to take Cindy on that route since the first time he'd brought her here.

It was a considerably longer trip, but if you have the time, it's breathtakingly beautiful as you pass through some of Denmark’s finest landscape, and for once, they had the time. Cindy didn't have school or tennis, Lynx didn't have an album due or a "gig" to make, and Prue had run out of reports to double and triple check. As an added bonus, Lynx had been able to secure one of the vintage trains that were used mostly for show, adding a nostalgic and romantic flavor to their trip. Of course the old trains were long on comfort and short on speed, but as mentioned before, they had the time.

The journey from Copenhagen to Oldenburg lived up to Lynx's promise, as both Cindy and Prue were taken by the natural Danish beauty (Cindy was also taken by another natural Danish beauty, several times in fact).

Another warm reception awaited them at Oldenburg, the warmest of course, coming from Lynx's parents and Tess. Hugs and happy tears were plentiful as they headed out toward the estate. Lynx and Cindy had decided to spend a few days with his parents before heading to their own place. This of course delighted the older couple to no end, as well as Lynx's twin sister, who would invite a couple of girlfriends there to eat chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream with Cindy at 3 a.m.

The younger couple also had a special surprise brewing for the cute little Kiwi that had been accompanying them. Prue had been such a trooper through this all, only a few times joking about her right to conjugal visits with her husband. Both Prue and her husband had sacrificed a great deal to help Lynx and Cindy's dream come true, so with a little help from the Evil Witch in New York and Lynx's parents, they had a very special surprise waiting for her when they arrived at the estate.

No sooner than they'd walked in the door, than Caroline took Prue's arm and insisted she take the tour of the garden. Prue was a bit surprised, but graciously accepted, and the pair headed out while the others ran to the window to watch the show. Caroline prattled on about the various types of flowers there, their storied history and such, as Prue listened and drank in the beauty.

Finally, the older woman stopped at the bench where she and Cindy had their conversation and asked Prue to have a seat. No sooner had Prue sat down than Caroline begged her forgiveness as she needed to pop back in for a moment to check on dinner. Prue smiled and nodded as the older woman headed back toward the house, her eyes sparkling.

Prue looked at the lovely greenery, thinking it was the most beautiful garden in the world when suddenly it got even more beautiful as a voice called her name and she turned to find the familiar face that went with it. There in this Garden of Eden stood hubby, her own personal Adam. He opened his arms and his lips to her and she embraced them both. For those looking on from the house it was time to pull the curtain and give the two lovers something they had both desperately missed, each other.

Quite sometime later, they returned hand in hand, smiling and glowing from their romp in the garden. Prue grinned impishly as she playfully scolded them all for their role in her little surprise party, but the broad smile and loving looks that followed told them all just how much it was appreciated. Hubby had basically a one-week pass, as his work was as equally demanding as his brilliant wife's, and they were looking forward to making the most of it.

For two days they all enjoyed good food and good company before the two young couples left the estate and moved into Lynx and Cindy's place just a few miles away. The press who'd finally caught up with them assumed their normal position on the perimeter and the game was afoot again. All Lynx, Cindy and those who loved them could do was hope that the television interview would eventually ease some of the pressure from the press and show their opponents they weren't trying to be leaders of a "crusade against God or morality." They were just trying to do what most every other couple does at some point. They just wanted to create a life to love and care for, and Prue was trying to help them do just that.

Three weeks after getting settled back in their home, Lynx and Cindy welcomed Betsy Warren, her television crew and the Evil Witch who'd made yet another miracle possible. She had agreed to be on hand during the taping, mostly for moral support, but also professionally, should an unexpected legal problem arise. She was welcomed warmly by all three, just as Betsy was.

That evening and into the early hours of the next morning, Lynx kept a low fire burning, and Cindy the wine glasses full (except of course for herself) as Betsy chatted with everyone completely off the record. She wanted to get a feel for these people before doing any taping. By the time she headed off to bed that morning, she'd gotten her feeling, and it was a very good one. Despite their wealth and celebrity status, she could see they were very much just a down-to-earth young couple that was very much in love, and very much hoping to have a baby. Her heart went out to both of them, especially Cindy, as she'd had endured challenges no woman should ever have to deal with. She also took an instant liking to Prue the perky New Zealand practitioner. She was anything but the 20th century Dr. Frankenstein some of the more unscrupulous press tried to portray her as being. Betsy could see the passion and belief Dr Walker, though by now, she was already Prue, held in her work, but even more she could see the great empathy and compassion she held for those who suffered, and like all good physicians she wanted to heal them and ease their pain.

The next day they began taping. It would take at least a week's worth of shooting to create the one hour segment once all the editing had been done, and they wanted plenty of footage to select from. This just wasn't going to be the four of them sitting on the couch and Betsy firing questions, it would be a week’s worth of sharing. Sharing not just Prue's medical breakthrough and Cindy's miracle pregnancy, but sharing as much of themselves as they each felt comfortable in giving, and also a chance for Cindy and Lynx to share their home and their life in Denmark.

Originally the three had made a pact not to do interviews without all three of them present, but with Betsy, it was more like chatting with a sympathetic friend than giving a statement to a slick reporter. They gave her carte blanche to talk to them individually or together, whenever and wherever during that week.

Over the course of the week she did just that, as she shot a variety of segments. She took long walks along the beach with Lynx and Cindy and sometimes, just alone with the mother to be. She had a private song session with the Lynx, and then tried her hand at sailing as they all took a cruise on Prince Admiral Lynx's sailing ship. She had a middle of the night chat with Prue, when neither could sleep and the chocolate mousse was too good to resist.

They also took the show on the road so to speak, as Betsy met the Duke and Duchess of Oldenburg, and was calling them Christian and Caroline before the first cup of tea was served. She helped out in the kitchen with all the rest of the ladies, getting some insight from the family and learning how to make a few Danish delicacies. She got the garden tour from Caroline, and chance to chat with the Singing Angel on her feelings about being Aunt Tess.

Lynx and Cindy even took Betsy up to the special little church where they'd been married, and of course, there was the legacy of the rose. Each day she got to witness the beautiful moment when Lynx presented Cindy with this token of his affection and his promise to love her as long as the magic lasts. After meeting them in person, she had no doubt that the magic and the roses would continue for as long as they lived and if possible, beyond because true love is eternal.

And in between and woven through all those soft moments were straightforward, often deeply personal questions that Betsy had to ask because the world wanted to know. The answers they gave weren't going to satisfy everyone, but they were honest, unrehearsed and straight from the heart. Prue could have baffled and buffaloed them with medical mumbo jumbo that all but a handful of scientists wouldn't understand, but she never took the easy way out. She broke it all down, explaining both the procedure and the risks in words the world could understand. The tears welling in Prue's eyes were real and heartfelt as she pleaded with those who'd been bombarding her office for requests for surgery to please stop. As much as she wished she could help them all, and help them now, miracles take time and she begged for their patience and understanding. She tried to tell everyone that she had only made three attempts, that the first two had not produced a live baby, and this one had a several months to go before it could prove she had done everything needed for a successful birth. Her brilliance, her compassion and that irrepressible smile reached the camera as it had Lynx and Cindy the first time they'd met her. No more references to Dr. Frankenstein were ever heard again after the interview aired.

Betsy asked the question that Prue told them would be asked sooner or later, and neither Lynx nor Cindy hesitated in giving the same response to Betsy as they had to Prue.

They had made their commitment to bringing a life into this world and taking it back out under any circumstances, even Cindy's own well being was not an option. As Prue had done before, Betsy accepted their choice without reservation and moved on to the next question.

A lighter question that turned out to be excellent copy, was when Betsy asked them if they were hoping for a girl or a boy. Prue had already acknowledged that she would know the gender of the child but per the parent's request she would withhold that information so their little bundle of joy would indeed be a surprise package. Both parents, while sitting together said they had no preference and just wanted a healthy baby, but when Lynx was alone with Betsy he admitted to wanting a little princess just like his big princess so the world could have twice as much beauty. Cindy shortly thereafter made the same confession, only substituting little prince and big prince. When they watched the final screening, it was the best laugh of the night.

Betsy and crew left one week after arriving, having been touched deeply by this beautiful young couple and the compassionate physician who was trying to help them. She left them with prayers for the birth of a healthy child and hopes that this interview would help the world understand and accept this beautiful miracle for exactly that. Years later as she looked back at all the interviews she'd done, she considered this one to be among the most satisfying and significant ever.

The interview was set to be aired world wide at 8 p.m. GMT on August 29th, which was not only about three weeks away, but also just before Ally’s due date. In the meantime, Lynx, Cindy and Prue had to play hide and seek for another week in Denmark before making their second exam stop in New Zealand. Provided everything went well and her sister's baby wasn't overly eager to make its emergence into the world, Cindy planned on returning to Ally and Andy's house to watch the interview with most of her family, and then stay to greet the little blessing that would be calling her Auntie Cindy one day.

Cindy’s Journal - August 23rd,
 
“We should be arriving in London in just a few hours. Your Auntie Prue, (some where along the way Prue had been given "auntie" status in relation to the unborn child and it had pleased the pixieish Doctor to no end), says our last check up went as well as the first! Do you know today is kind of your birthday? Yep, you are two months old according to your Auntie Prue! Of course you're going to have to start the count all over again when you are officially "born," and I'm afraid you don’t get any cake for this birthday, unless I eat it for you, but it's still a reason to celebrate. Hopefully in another week or two we’re going to have another reason to celebrate. Your Auntie Ally will be giving birth to your cousin, and I know you two are going to have so much fun playing together. Now, you go ahead and get your rest so you can keep growing big and strong, and if you want anything, just send me a craving and I'll send your father out to get it."

When they came out of customs, it was as if the same people who'd sent them off the last time had been waiting for their return, complete with cameras, signs and skirmishes. Once again it was all security could do to get the threesome safely to Andy's car. As they headed on the long journey to Devon, silent prayers were said for the success of the coming interview and the healthy emergence of Ally and Andy's child.

A very round, hot and uncomfortable, but extremely happy big sister greeted her little sister when she walked in the door. Ally rubbed her swollen belly and smiled at Cindy, warning her not to make any jokes about needing a hoist to get her in and out of bed, because she'd be the "butt" of those jokes herself in another six months.

Cindy did her best to hug as much of her bigger big sister as she could, and then said the only words needed, "I love you."

Being able to share this special time with her sister, and then in a few months knowing the roles would be reversed filled her with a joy that most sister's share, but for her, it was a joy she’d thought she’d never know, until Prue came into her life. Suddenly so grateful to the amazing little kiwi who was making moments like this possible, she turned and pounced on a surprised Prue, hugging her tightly and sharing, "Thank you so much! I really love you.”

Prue gave her a puzzled look and then grinned, "Ummm ... you’re welcome and I love you too. Gee, I had no idea it meant that much to you to get my spaghetti bolognaise recipe. I make a mean marshmallow chocolate fish if you want that recipe too."

Ally rubbed her tummy and then smiled hungrily, "Marshmallow chocolate fish? Mmmmm …"

All three girls broke out in laughter, leaving Lynx and Andy to look at each other shrugging shoulders and attributing it all to one of those "women things."

Over the next few days the rest of the friends and family who were coming arrived, but of course not without assistance from the Security people they’d had to hire to get them through the press and public still camped along the perimeter. At times it had become a long running joke with those inside as they wondered what lengths these people would go to try and sneak in. Considering the situation, most everyone stayed light hearted and cool headed, but Andy, the father-to-be, was anything, but joking when he said the whole lot better clear a wide path when it was time to take Ally to the hospital. He didn't need to say much more. The icy blue color in the big man's eyes spoke volumes.

Finally the 29th came, and the baby hadn't, so all were in attendance to watch the interview. Over the course of an hour, Cindy, Lynx and family did what most of the world did. They smiled, they laughed, they cried, And even though it was their own story, they learned. Seeing themselves as others saw them was an insight they'd not had before. It helped them to better understand the world outside, just as the world got the chance to better understand them.

The top story in nearly every newspaper and news show the next morning was the Betsy Warren interview the night before. Of the thousands of journalists and anchor people who commented on it, the piece in the New York Times said it best.

"Yesterday afternoon this journalist sat at his television, as did most of the world to find out the true tale on what has become the story of the year, if not the decade or even beyond. Like most of us, I knew of the two principal players in this drama. The talents of Lynx and his Kool Kats have at some time mesmerized anyone who has enjoyed the magic of music, and it's impossible to think of Women's tennis without thinking of Cindy and her incredible run at Wimbledon.

Yet most of us still think back to the beginning. We remember reading about the UCLA tennis player who was dating the leader of a popular rock group. We were shocked and surprised to find this very beautiful young lady had once been a boy, or had lived as a boy, and that she was transgendered or in her own simpler words, "was a woman with a birth defect."

Now I have to tell you, I wasn't sure what to think. Like most of us, I had no clue what being transgendered meant. I learned the difference between girls and boys at an early age and that was that. This whole idea about girls being born in boy’s bodies or boy’s being born in girls bodies, was pretty tough for me to buy. I came from the philosophy that men who liked to wear women's clothing were gay, and that any "man" who came out saying he was really a woman only needed to check his shorts to find the truth.

So, I have to admit, I had a pretty hard time being able to accept Cindy as the real thing, even if she looked the part, and I was kind of wondering what on earth a guy like Lynx, who could have any woman in the world, would settle for someone who wasn't really a woman at all. The whole thing sounded like some sordid blue movie, and then when that article by Abby Phillips came out, well that poison she pedaled fit right into all the stereotypes we old school farts had been taught.

And if I hadn’t drawn an assignment to cover that concert at Wembley stadium where Cindy sung that solo, and Lynx renewed his proposal, I probably wouldn't even be writing this article now. But I was there, and I saw something so beautiful, so loving, and so magical that it transcended or literally shattered all those stereotypes I had held so tight. There was this handsome man on his knee, looking up at this beautiful woman who held his heart and the rose he'd just given her, and it was as pure and as right as any young couple’s love could be.

From that point I began to think of this celebrity couple as exactly what they appeared to be, a young man and woman very much in love. I wished them well when I heard the news of their wedding, and being I enjoy sports, although rarely women's sports, I was glued to my set like most of the world was as Cindy won her fifth consecutive Wimbledon.

But then after announcing her retirement, Lynx dropped the bomb and said that Cindy was pregnant, and it’s due to some medical magic created by the little kiwi doctor standing by his side. Well, I listened to about half of what she said, and understood about half of that. When I clicked off the television, the old ghosts had my ear.

Now I thought I had accepted her as a woman , but being a mother, well ... now that's a whole different thing. Like most of us who had gotten an education from following Cindy, we knew that medical science could often help people with her condition lead very full lives as women, BUT, they could never give birth. Now, I had always said I was sorry for her and others like her that couldn't, but I was also a good Catholic boy, and a firm believer that only the big guy upstairs has the power and authority to create baby makers. I was really sorry that Cindy's model hadn't come out with one, but that's just something the mechanics down here shouldn't mess with.

I had also seen Frankenstein in its various versions and enough late night horror movies to know that anyone who starts growing life any other way but the old fashioned way, is evil, bent on world domination, and in the end will no doubt be foiled by the forces of good. Needless to say, I was struggling with the challenges to my personal belief system and the sheer enormity of what Cindy being pregnant meant. Now, I wasn't ready to call in an exorcist or grab a torch and charge the castle, but I wasn't sure if I could support this, and I wasn't sure they even had the right to do it.

Last night I spent an hour watching that interview and then after it was over, I spent the next several hours trying to figure out how a 50 year old man with a master’s degree in journalism and a triple digit I.Q. could be so damn stupid and so damn arrogant at least twice in his life. The first time, I had the excuse of ignorance, but that scene on the stage at Wembley and the way these two have conducted their lives ever since, had cured the condition, or at least I thought it had.

This second time I have no excuse for and I can only hope like the rest of the world who were out banging pans and toting signs, that these good people can accept my humble apology for ever being so arrogant as to think they needed my permission or anyone else's to have a child. How could I or anyone else in this world not support something that brings life into this world? My God believes in the miracle of life and I'll be damned, (sorry God), if I'm going to condemn this miracle in his name, or support any group that does.

Tonight I got past my pixie complex, and I listened to Dr. Walker, really listened. Pregnancies like this one is just one of the miracles she hopes to accomplish. She honestly believes her research could lead to replacing nearly every organ in the human body. Look, I don't know if it will, but don't you think we need to give her the chance to try? I think every person waiting for an organ transplant, every parent of a blind child, and all the poor souls out there who were born women with birth defects would say we should! Anyone who thinks her efforts at improving the human condition are somehow against God's will, buys into the theory that cancer is a plague brought down on us for our sins and we shouldn't try to find a cure for it. I don't see too many people standing in that line these days.

Look, I don't understand all she's doing and I doubt if there are many who do, but instead of breaking out the torches and condemning her, let’s give her some respect and some time to see what she can do. I have a feeling this young lady has quite a few life changing miracles up the sleeve of her lab coat and I hope I live long enough to see them.

Now as for the current miracle she's assisting, let's talk about Lynx and Cindy. For the better part of an hour I watched two young people open their home and their hearts to us. I saw a man and a woman very much in love, who would like to make their lives fuller and make the world a better place by bringing a life into it, and all they ask is our understanding, if not support and a little room to do it in. You know, I don't know which is sadder: The fact that this loving couple has been so hounded that they felt they had to ASK us to give them these things, or the fact that there are press and public camped outside their house right now who think they don't have those rights.

To tell you the truth, I think these two kids are handling it better than I would. I'm a married man who helped a wonderful woman raise two great kids, but if anyone had come up to me and questioned my right to be a parent, or felt it was their right to impose their values on me, or stuck a camera in my pregnant wife's face and told her she was carrying the anti-Christ, I'd probably be writing this column from a prison cell.

Look, folks, these kids have had a tough time, and due to Cindy's birth defect and their celebrity status they've missed out on being able to just do a lot of the simple things most of us take for granted. Now they are getting a chance to experience one of the greatest joys of love any couple can. For Christ's sake, people, can't we at least let them have this? Can't we just back up and let them enjoy it with the same dignity and respect we'd demand for our own family?

Whether you believe in Dr. Walker's research or not, can't we at least believe in the sanctity of life? Can't we set aside our personal differences and curb our curiosity long enough to drop to our knees and say a prayer for that loving couple we just shared that hour with, for their families and especially for the healthy birth of their unborn child? I know I will and I hope all of you can join me."

This piece echoed the sentiments of many others around the world, and If Lynx, Cindy or the rest of the gang had been reading the morning paper at the breakfast table they would have been delighted. However, they would have to catch the evening addition as they were all at the hospital awaiting the birth of Ally and Andy's baby. The little one decided to make its appearance an encore performance after the interview, as Ally began having contractions shortly before midnight. Andy had Ally at the hospital in record time and fortunately, with no press or public casualties.

Per Ally's request, she asked that Cindy be there in the delivery room along with Andy. She wanted her little sister to have a sneak preview of what she had to look forward to. Cindy was deeply moved by the request, and touched that her big sister who had shared so much with her growing up, was now sharing with her the most important moment in a woman's life.

Nearly nine hours after beginning labor, a loud and healthy baby girl named Christine made her entrance into this world, and as Cindy watched Ally hold the new life in her arms, she cried tears of joy for her sister and prayed she'd be able to do the same thing with the life now growing within her.

Cindy’s Journal - August 30th,
 
I just saw the most incredible, beautiful thing in the world. I saw your cousin being born. She's a living, breathing miracle. Just like you, and in six or so months you'll be making your grand entrance, too. Now your Auntie Prue says she may have to lend us a hand when the time comes, but I don't want you to worry about that, because no matter how you come, you'll still end up in my arms. Now that tall handsome man with the sandy blonde hair, dark blue eyes and gorgeous smile you see when you first come out will be your father. When you’re not in my arms, you'll probably be in his. Trust me on this; there is no safer place on Earth than in his arms. He's the most wonderful husband in the world, and I just know he'll be the best daddy ever.

While Ally convalesced at the hospital, the fallout from the Betsy Warren interview finally reached Lynx and Cindy. Newspaper articles like the one in the New York Times were being sent to them, along with thousands of cards and letters from people who supported Prue's work, their right to have this experience with some dignity, and their prayers for a healthy birth.

The press was still around. They had always been around, and considering Lynx and Cindy's status as storied celebrities, they probably would ALWAYS be around, but most backed off to a respectable distance now. The press camp-outs at the homes of the family and friends of Lynx and Cindy ended, with the exception of the few scandal rags that had no respect for anyone. Special interest groups and some religions continued to debate the legal and moral implications of Prue's work and Cindy's pregnancy, but those opposed stopped their verbal attacks, just as those who supported stepped back and stopped asking Prue and Cindy to be their champions.

At least for a while, a worldwide cease and desist order was unofficially implemented, and for the next three months Cindy got to have about as normal a pregnancy as any celebrity mother could ever hope to have.


 
Chapter Eighteen
Complications
 
After staying for about a week, Lynx, Cindy and Prue reluctantly tore themselves away from Kim and Bill, heading to Vancouver to spend a little time with Rich and Jenna, who had been unable to be there for the birth. They had a fun-filled week with their longtime friends, before they returned to their California home to visit with more of their family and to do interviews with two major news magazines. These went as well as the Betsy Warren special, and were equally well received.

For all of them, this was truly the "golden age" of Cindy's pregnancy. Over the next three months, Cindy and baby continued to pass every test and checkup that Prue would give them while her waistline began to expand slowly and the smile on her face widened each time it did. With public and press giving them the space and respect they'd asked for and needed, traveling and entertaining became more enjoyable and the three musketeers made short trips to England, Canada, and New York while hosting friend and family who wandered into their California and or Denmark homes.

Meanwhile, Lynx and the Kool Kats had a rare concert scheduled for October 24th in Indianapolis, Indiana. They had cancelled a concert there years ago on their first USA tour and had always felt guilty about it. When the local fan club contacted Shelly a year earlier, asking if there was any chance the band might return, they were pleased to hear that the band had unanimously agreed to do a make up concert for their dedicated fans.

Of course at that time, Cindy had been on the women's tennis tour and more importantly, was not pregnant. Lynx didn't want to disappoint the fans the second time, but he also didn't want to leave Cindy now to prepare and perform, nor did he want to subject her to a concert sure to get pretty wild before the long night ended.

When Lynx told Cindy he was going to call Shelly and see if she could at least postpone the concert until after the baby was born, his auburn-haired princess showed him the fire normally reserved for tennis opponents. She didn't just say she wouldn’t mind if he performed, she told him she WANTED him to perform and that she intended to be right there to enjoy the show with the rest of the packed house. Prue had given baby and her a clean bill of health just two weeks previous, during their last New Zealand check up when Cindy stated proudly, "The more pregnant I get, the better I feel. I want our baby to experience daddy's music magic, even if the experience can only be audio from the pumpkin seat it is currently in.”

Lynx could never refuse his love anything, and wasn't about to end that tradition now, nor could he disappoint his TWO biggest fans So the concert went on as scheduled, thrilling an overflow crowd in the Conseco Fieldhouse where two very special fans had front row center seats and were coaxed on stage as well.

When Lynx presented his beloved with a rose, it brought forth a fan reaction that nearly brought the arena down on them.

Once she was on stage, Lynx and the rest of the screaming fans were reluctant to let her leave easily and eventually coaxed a song from her. To nobody’s surprise and everyone’s pleasure, she sang a duet of ‘The Rose’ with Lynx. Cindy's lone performance during her pregnancy brought thunderous applause and tears of joy to all it touched, especially the expecting mom. When she finally took her leave, Lynx turned to the audience and humbly told them he was the luckiest man alive. The cheers and thunderous applause showed his fans were in total agreement.

Cindy took out her diary In the early morning hours after the concert, intending to make an entry about the concert, however she got lost reading recent ones instead. Her eyes misted as she read about Lynx falling asleep in her lap, trying to listen for the baby’s heartbeat, and how the next morning she woke to breakfast in bed, and a rose, both being served by the world's most beautiful man. She read about the baby shower Tess, Jenna and Ally had thrown for her two weeks previous, and how her joy at being able to have one, mirrored their joy of being able to give her one. She relived shopping with her mother for maternity and baby clothes, holding hands and walking along the beach with Bob as tears of joy about this miracle leaked from both their eyes, and standing with Lynx while they looked out over the farmlands around them from one of Denmark’s low hills, dreaming of the day they could show this incredible beauty to their child.

When Lynx came to bed he found the diary open, and his wife sleeping peacefully. Closing the book gently he set it aside and then kissed his beloved just after he settled into bed with her and pulled the covers over them. Before hurrying to catch his sleeping beauty, he gently laid his hand on her stomach, softly rubbing it as if caressing the unborn child within. His last words before he joined Cindy in dreamland were, a gentle whisper, "I love you both with all my heart.”

Thanksgiving found Cindy at her parents’ home, helping her mother make the bird, trying to keep the boys out of the deviled eggs, playing Aunt Cindy to her three month old niece Christine, and of course being happily and heartily pregnant. She had her soul mate near, and most everyone else she loved just a warm hug away. When they finally sat down to enjoy the feast, Bill gave thanks, then asked each to silently give their own thanks.

The last head to rise from prayer was Cindy's, as she quickly stated. “I feel I have more to be thankful for today than just about any woman alive.”

As usual after dinner, the gentleman waddled into the living room with healthy slices of pumpkin pie and the women gathered together in the kitchen to clean up the aftermath while plotting strategy for a successful mall hop the next day. The Friday after Thanksgiving is well known as the greatest sale day of the year and the girls were warming up their plastic in anticipation. Cindy, who always had a healthy shopping gene, seemed to have had hers in overdrive for the last two months.

With each armload of baby bounty she walked in with, she smiled sheepishly at Lynx and begged, "Well ... we could have twins, ya know."

Lynx teased her by countering, “You already bought enough for triplets,” after pulling her into his arms and rocking both of his babies gently.

Thoughts of dinner and the shopping expedition tomorrow lingered in her mind as she took journal in hand.

“Nov. 27th,
 
I hope you enjoyed your first turkey day feast. I tried to sample a bit of everything for you (even the bean salad, yuck!). I was kind of hoping with all that food out there you might see some goddess awful combination you'd want me to crave, but if you did, I didn’t hear your order. Now don't get me wrong, it's not like I really want to eat pickles and ice cream, but you know, it is kind of a tradition. Mom, Ally, and every other experienced mother I've talked to tell me about their cravings. You kids make us moms eat some pretty icky stuff, but the dad's get the worst of it, cause we make them get up at 3 o'clock in the morning in the dead of winter and find us fresh strawberries. No pressure here, I was just wanting you to know it is your right to crave something, if for no other reason than to get even for the strained peas I’ll make you eat one day.

Well, give your food order some thought while we’re out shopping tomorrow. The day after Thanksgiving is the greatest sale day of the year. Of course you know that by now, we've been looking through sale fliers for almost a week, and every time I see that commercial for Baby Junction I just go crazy. Hey! What a minute! I just thought of something. Who says cravings have to be for FOOD? Why you little mall rat! It's the thrill of the bargain chase you crave. Oh, I bet you'll want to teeth on my MasterCard won't you? Wow, wait till I tell your father! On second thought, maybe I will just hold off on that. He might prefer trying to find those fresh strawberries in an Artic blizzard, to seeing next month's credit card statement."

During the first week of December, Lynx and Cindy returned to Denmark, asking Santa Claus for a white Christmas, and Prue for the chance to let them see it. Cindy's freedom would be up just about the time Santa was making his deliveries. Her pregnancy would be in her seventh month, meaning that it was time to travel to New Zealand “for the duration.” Prue, had not wanted to be cast as the “Doctor Grinch” who stole their white Christmas, pledged to keep the holiday spirit alive by trying to allow the happy couple their Christmas in Denmark, but she quickly added that her generosity had limits, and that they'd probably be greeting the New Year , Kiwi style, with her and hubby.

Of course all of this hinged on Cindy and her baby's continued growth and good health. Prue didn’t need to remind them that at the first sign of danger to either mother or child she was evoking her physician's privilege and they'd all be on the next jet to New Zealand, with no arguments. Lynx and Cindy had none because this was the woman who had made it possible for them to bring forth the life into this world and there was no one they trusted more with that life, and Cindy's own, than Dr. Prudence Walker. Unfortunately, before Christmas would come that year, Lynx and Cindy would have their faith tested, not only by their friend and physician, but by the Power that control life and death.

On Saturday, the week before Christmas, and all through the Oldenburg estate there were the signs and smells of the holiday season. No one was more festive than Cindy in her green maternity blouse. She was busy in the kitchen helping Caroline make fruitcakes, while Prue was only a room away talking on the phone to her husband, half a world away. Lynx and his father were outside trudging about in the new fallen snow looking for the perfect Christmas tree, and Tess, the Singing Angel, had spread her wings and flown to the airport to pick up her special delivery gift from California.

Bob had accepted an invitation to spend Christmas with the "kids," back when they'd all met for Thanksgiving. Originally Lynx and Cindy had been going to have the festivities at their place. However, Christian and Caroline asked, nearly begging them, to come spend Christmas week. When Lynx and Cindy informed his parents that Bob was also coming, they quickly extended the invitation to all friends and family members that might wander in.

Tess had been a nervous wreck the entire morning, having changed outfits no less than five times before fulfilling female tradition by deciding on the first one she'd selected. Prue and Cindy had done their best to settle the love struck woman down, telling her she needed to save all that energy for AFTER Bob arrived. Originally, Lynx was going to drive up to the airport to pick up Bob, but twin sister begged her brother to let her do it, instead. She wanted the long drive there, to think things over, and the return trip to talk with Bob. A lot had happened over the last year and she needed to know where they stood or if, for that matter, there was a "they.”

It would be one year New Year's Eve since they'd shared THE kiss. Since then, they’d shared a couple more during the few times they'd been able to share a quiet beach or a stolen moment at a family gathering, but none of those kisses had quite the passion of that first one. While Bob hadn't started running away again, he was keeping things at a certain distance. It was a close distance, but a safe distance and until now Tess had respected that.

She'd enjoyed the long phone and computer chats they routinely had , and on those rare occasions when they'd been blessed with each other's presence, she let him lead. While at Ally and Andy's, it was a soft gentle kiss as gentle as the man who offered it. While at his home, visiting there with Lynx and Cindy, it was a slow walk hand in hand along the beach and another gentle kiss. Tess was enjoying the journey and if it took a while to get there, she had the time, but her heart was aching to find out where the eventual destination was.

The last thing she wanted to do was push him, but there were words in her heart that she had to say. She had to let him know how she truly felt and where she hoped they would end up, and also find out if he felt the same way. In the end, as long as he would let her walk with him, she was prepared to accept any destination. These were the thoughts that were driving her crazy as she began her drive to pick up Bob.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen, Cindy had opened the oven door to slide another fruitcake in when she suddenly felt faint. The sound of the heavy-laden cake pan hitting the floor when it slipped from Cindy's fingers immediately grabbed Caroline’s attention. Seeing a suddenly pale Cindy about to join the splattered cake, she quickly closed the distance, grabbing Cindy by the waist, and screaming for Prue's assistance.

By the time Prue came around the corner she found Cindy in Caroline’s arms and the royal ladies sitting very unceremoniously on a cake batter throne. The combination of Cindy's falling form and the slippery sweet mess had given both ladies a spill. Prue reached down to help them up and hoped the worst of the damage was the ruined cake and pair of soggy bottoms. Both women were laughing at the silly situation, and how their husbands would never let them live it down when they found out. Laughter is always a good sign, but Prue wanted to be absolutely sure her star patient with the precious cargo was fine.

Cindy pouted and protested a bit about the prick and probe that was about to come, but like all children, she knew the limits and when she saw Prue giving her that no nonsense look, she knew she had reached them. Without another word she took a seat in the dining room as ordered and then recounted the tale for Prue as the pixie practitioner opened her little black bag to retrieve the tools of her trade.

"Prue, I don't know what happened," she sighed. "I was feeling fine, honest I was." She paused, then admitted reluctantly, "Well ... maybe just a little tired, but you know how late we were all up last night, and I suppose I've been kind of pushing it a bit lately, but ... but ... I've really felt great, Prue. You know I would tell you if I didn't. I ... I wouldn't dream of holding anything back with ... with what's at stake."

Prue gently took flustered friend’s hand and worked her “chairside” magic, "Hey, I know that. You've been a very good girl. I owe you a couple dozen lollypops by now after all I've put you through. All I want to do is just make sure you and my little niece or nephew is okay, alright?"

Cindy smiled and nodded, gaining her a grin from Prue.

While slipping the blood pressure cuff over Cindy's arm, she inquired as to what exactly happened, "So ... did you just drop the cake and then slip or was it something else?"

Cindy sighed, "Well, I opened the door to the oven and then, when I started to put the cake in, - I kind of got a little woozy. You know, when I think about it now, I bet it was the heat from the oven. I'm sure that sudden blast of hot air triggered the whole thing."

Cindy stopped, hoping to see Prue agreeing with her diagnosis, but instead, saw a look that told her to continue with her tale and the diagnosis would follow afterwards.

Cindy slowly started again, "Well, after I got a little dizzy, I tried to put the cake back down on the counter but it just slipped out of my hands and then I lost my balance, and … and, well, I ended up on the floor with cake in places cake should never be and poor Caroline down there with me. I guess she tried to keep me from falling and we both went down. Gosh, I hope she's all right."

Prue nodded as she released the cuff. "Caroline says she's fine, but I'll check her out when we get done here. More than anything, she’s concerned about you, just like I am."

While Prue shook a thermometer at Cindy, her tongue assumed the position immediately.

As she awaited the results of that test, Prue told her patient the results of the tests she'd just taken, "Your blood pressure is up a little bit, and your cheeks look a little flushed."

Cindy pulled out the thermometer and hopefully offered, "I thought pregnant women are supposed to have a rosy glow."

Prue rolled her eyes and put the temperature gauge back under Cindy's waggling tongue, "Actually, that comes from all the huffing and puffing they do trying to get up off the couch, but you aren't that big yet."

Cindy giggled but managed to keep the temperature taker in place until Prue was satisfied she was fully cooked, "Hmm ... Well you are at 99.2, but I know you usually run a wee bit above normal."

Prue shook the thermometer down and then laid her free hand gently on the Cindy's small but growing potbelly, "Feeling any aches or pains?"

Cindy shook her head, “Nope.”

Prue, deciding it’s always better to err on the side of caution, told Cindy, “I want to do a brief physical exam and draw a little blood.”

Her star patient pulled only a slight pout before going to the stairs, but Prue stopped her, “You’re using the elevator.”

“But Prue…”

“There’s no ifs, ands or buts about it. You were a dizzy dame not five minutes ago, and if it happens again while we’re going upstairs I want to be able to gently put you down without risking anyone’s life.”

She then advised Caroline of her plans.

By the time Prue returned downstairs, Lynx and his father had joined Caroline, and all three were anxiously awaiting news.

She did her best to calm them immediately, “I don’t really think anything is wrong. More than likely Cindy's own diagnosis is correct. She is probably just a bit fatigued from last night, and then the heat from the oven got the best of her. However, to be on the safe side, I’m going to run into town and do a little basic blood work and see if anything comes up.”

Lynx nodded, immediately offering to run her up to the hospital, but she declined his gallant offer, “Your place is with Cindy, and her place is in bed for a while. I don’t want you to let her out no matter how much she whines.”

Lynx smiled and winked before he headed upstairs to take care of the patient he'd been given. When Christian offered his services as a carriage driver, Prue graciously accepted and the pair headed off to the hospital, leaving Caroline to be a one woman reception and information committee when Tess returned with Bob.

Prue and Christian returned about two hours later to find Tess and Bob had arrived safely, and were as concerned as everyone else.

The young doctor wasn't wearing her trademark pixie grin when she came in, and barely offered a mumbled, "It's probably nothing," before ascending the stairs to confront Lynx and Cindy.

"Okay", she began as she entered the room startling the two cuddling in bed, "It's probably nothing. In most traditional pregnancies I wouldn't even give it a second thought, but ... it seems like you might have a small infection. Have you cut or scraped yourself anywhere recently, say, the past 2 weeks?”

“No, not that I remember.”

Prue turned to Lynx, “I’m going to ask you to check on that. You can look for scrapes as well as I can, and have more fun doing it.”

Lynx nodded, so she went on, “could also be something as simple as a touch of the flu coming on. Your white cell count is down, so I'm worried about your body’s ability to fight whatever’s going on, and I'm hesitant to prescribe anything without knowing exactly what you’ve come down with, especially the fetus."

Cindy trembled in Lynx's arms, her concerned squarely on the well-being of the passenger she carried, "Prue, is the baby going to be all right?"

Prue sat on the edge of the bed and did her best to calm the worried pair, "The baby was absolutely fine at your last check up and I see no reason to believe that little spill you took in the kitchen, or this bug you’ve picked up has changed that one bit. Your baby is strong and healthy, okay?"

Lynx and Cindy breathed a sigh of relief as they nodded.

Prue took Cindy's hand, "Now it's YOU that I am a bit worried about. Granted, your blood pressure is still within the normal range, just higher than normal for you. Your temperature is barely even a low-grade fever, and that ‘infection’ has about a 98% chance of being a cold or the flu. So ... I'm probably worried about nothing, but I want you to stay in bed till I give you the all clear, OK? And I’m going to ask anyone who visits you to wear a mask.”

“Even Lynx?”

“No, the two of you have been so wrapped up in each other, I doubt he can expose you to anything he hasn’t already. But, you, Admiral, will have to wear a mask when you are away from her, and wash your hands thoroughly each time you come in to see her. And your meals will be served here, when she gets hers. Otherwise she will have to wear a mask around you.”

Lynx and Cindy agreed to follow doctor's orders religiously, and graciously thanked Prue for her assistance. Lynx, feeling a bit more relieved, jokingly asked the ever efficient doctor, “Do you do windows, too?”

Prue sported her pixie grin and ended the discussion by quickly quipping that. “I don’t ‘do windows,’ but I do "cutting edge circumcisions on wise guys who like to tease doctors."

Lynx swallowed hard at Prue's cutting edge humor. Her sharp wit and the threat of her sharp knife sent the prince retreating into the safety of his princess' arms. Prue winked, smiling victoriously as she left.

Cindy's Diary:
 
“December 19th
Well, mommy got sent to bed early tonight and your daddy has been ordered to keep a constant watch on me to be sure I stay there. I wish you could see him now. He's the cutest guard I've ever seen asleep on duty. He he he! Now I suppose you wondering what mommy did to get put on bed rest. Actually, all I did was something really silly. I got a little dizzy, dropped a fruitcake and then landed in it! I hope you were able to get some of that cake by osmosis because it was really good.

“Your Auntie Prue didn't think it was quite as funny as I did, and she was worried about me getting dizzy. I tried to explain to her that I'm naturally dizzy but she couldn't find one blonde hair on me to back that up. She also fussed a little about my blood pressure being up, but I told her that's just you being excited because you know Christmas is coming. Oh, we’re going to have some wonderful Christmases, too. This year might be a little lean on gifts, depending on what Prue lets me eat, but I promise you, come next Christmas, Santa's going to have add two more reindeer to pull all the prezzies you're getting.”

Prue’s precautions let Cindy visit with everyone over the next two days, and On Tuesday, Cindy felt fine, her blood pressure was normal, and her temperature was as near ‘normal’ as it ever was, 98.8.

“If this stays the same tomorrow, I’m going to let you get up and mix, if you will wear a mask and take precautions. If it still looks good on Friday, I’ll let you get rid of the mask. It seems it was just a mild flu, or maybe exhaustion.”

By Christmas day, after her morning checkup, Cindy had only one restriction, “You’ve got the run of the house, but I don’t want you outside. OK?”

Cindy pounced on Prue and gave her a big hug as she thanked her before looking for Lynx to tell him the good news.

It turned out that he was just outside their bedroom door, with her Rose for the day. Together, they went down to let everyone else hear the good news.

Everyone enjoyed the Christmas they had been planning on. There was one surprise, when Christian mentioned something about ‘being one fruitcake short.”

Cindy wasn’t about to take that easily, “No, you’re not short a fruitcake. Here I am,” pointing to herself, breaking everyone up.

That evening, Prue noticed Cindy getting tired, and motioned for Cindy to come over to where she was sitting, hubby being in with the other men.

A moment later, Lynx arrived, “What’s up, Prue?”

“I know you’d both like to stay here till after New Years, but how much would you hate me if I asked you to pack up and head to New Zealand tomorrow?" Prue smiled sheepishly, feeling like the Grinch that had just stolen their Christmas.

She was hoping they would understand that it was that other 2% chance of it being something far more serious made her want to have Cindy in a place she knew she could best take care of her. Hopefully, that would be in her own hospital.

Lynx spoke for both of them, "You said you were probably worried about nothing, but that's not true, is it? You’re still worried about Cindy and our baby, and that's anything BUT nothing. It's everything. Prue, we trust you with our life, literally, and if you say its time to go, I'll start packing."

Cindy nodded, lacing her fingers with his, "Lynx is right. Whatever you say goes, and if what you say goes is ’me’, then I'm going."

Prue smiled and hugged them both, "Thank you for understanding and indulging your overprotective doctor. I just don't want to take any chances."

"We know,” Lynx offered with deep respect and love in his eyes, "and if you had been the kind of doctor willing to take these kinds of chances, we would have walked out your office and never returned. Thank you."

Prue’s big brown eyes misted at the ultimate compliment she'd been given, but still managed to maintain her professional composure enough to remind Cindy she was to take it easy.

Finally, she offered to make their airlines reservations for the next day and break the news to the others.

Cindy's Diary - December 25th:
 
“Well dear one, your Auntie Prue thinks we need to spend this New Years at her house instead of your Grandpa and Grandma Oldenburg’s so she can be sure we're okay. Now we both know we’re okay, but we don't want to worry those who love us, so we're going to Prue's house tomorrow. Maybe if we're really good she'll take us shopping. If you like that idea, just give me a craving, okay? Okay!"

The next morning, they were all able to have a wonderful breakfast together before it was time to head to the airport. Tess and Bob both offered to accompany them to New Zealand, while both Grandmas and Grandpas, the California ones by phone, told them they could be there a day later.

Both offers touched Lynx and Cindy's heart, but they graciously declined, asking their loving family to go on with their original plans and perhaps after the first of the year they could come back for a visit.

Prue seconded that motion saying, “Once we’re done poking, prodding and pricking Cindy for a while, I'd love to have them come down for a visit.

She smiled her pixie grin, "I've got plenty of room, plenty of food and attack trained sheep for security. Heck, I might even be able to scare up a few bloody mints for your pillows."

That brought a few laughs, and temporarily appeased those left behind, but solemn promises were extracted from the trio stating that at least one of them would keep the others abreast of the situation with regular reports. Finally after the last hugs and kisses had been exchanged with Christian and Caroline, Bob and Tess drove the frequent fliers to the airport.

Another round of hugs, kisses and tears came as Tess and Bob saw them off. Cindy was holding Lynx's hand, wiping her eyes as she walked down the concourse. Slowing for a moment, she turned to look back, hoping to catch one last glance at two people she loved very much. She smiled when she drew Lynx and Prue's attention to what she saw. There at the far end, and nearly lost in the crowd were Tess and Bob. They had already turned and were walking away, but it was Tess' hand laced in Bob's that had brought the smile to Cindy's face, and then to Lynx and Prue's. She sincerely hoped this meant that they were each other’s Christmas gift this year. Finally the lovebirds disappeared, and then Cindy, deciding to copycat the lady "Kat,” laced her hands in Lynx's and the threesome headed for the departure gate.

What neither Cindy nor Lynx saw was the worried look on Tess’ face as she held Bob’s hand. “It’s probably nothing but auntie jitters, but I’m a little worried about Cindy. I know she’s in great hands with Prue, but I just can’t shake this feeling.”

Bob said nothing, knowing there was nothing he could say to help ease her concerns, so he squeezed her hand and gave her that two-million dollar smile of his. She returned one of her own and then thanked him with a light kiss on the cheek. The pair then walked silently to the car park, saying silent prayers for Cindy and the baby’s good health and wondering when the next kiss would come.

For the traveling trio the flight to New Zealand was pretty much quiet and uneventful, but long. With one stop in Bangkok, it took over 30 hours, and they got to see the sun set and rise twice, once each flight.

A fair number of press and well wishers greeted them on their arrival in Wellington, having somehow found out about their plans, but in accordance with unofficial agreement observed since the television interview, all but a few allowed the royal procession to proceed unimpeded. Most of those attempting to break through the security line, however, were excited fans, who upon sighting their music or tennis hero, came up to offer their personal well wishes, and maybe snag an autograph or picture. Lynx and Cindy did their best to honor what requests they could, especially from their "junior" fan club members, before Prue's husband finally whisked them all away.

On previous visits, they would have normally gone to Chez Walker, gotten settled in before taking off for the hospital the next morning for tests, but this wasn't a routine maintenance stop. Prue directed her husband to take them directly to the hospital, where she gave Cindy a more thorough checkup than she’d been able to at Caroline and Christian’s place. Poking, prodding and pricking commenced almost before Cindy could slip into her drafty hospital gown.

Her blood pressure and temperature had risen slightly, but initial testing showed no presence of the bug that had laid Cindy low in Denmark. However it would be the next day before they had an in depth analysis on anything else.

“It is probably just the strain of the trip, but I’d like you to stay overnight. Just in case I’d like to see the test results before releasing you,” Prue informed the couple.

She went to the doctor’s lounge where she and her staff prepared themselves to pull an all-nighter. They were hoping to have the results before dawn.

Lynx's guitar and sweet song greeted the staff who came in to check on Cindy that evening. The Sunshine Superstar was exhausted from her long day and quickly faded into the night. The last thing she remembered before succumbing to sleep was the smiling face of the man she loved, his beautiful voice serenading her, and of course, the symbol of their undying love, the day’s rose, which stood in a vase next to the one delivered to her at their stop in Bangkok. She would not miss a single rose, even on the trip shortened an extra day mandated by the Earth’s rotation.

Lynx keep singing until long after Cindy's beautiful emerald green eyes had grown heavy with sleep and closed. He leaned over his sleeping angel and kissed her gently on the forehead and wished her sweet dreams. The handsome young prince settled back into his chair and prepared himself for the night ahead.

In the morning, Prue woke them with the good news that it appeared to have just been exhaustion, and she would let them go to her place. “But no long walks or hot tubs until I tell you that you can, young lady.” Her glance included Lynx, who nodded his agreement with her orders.

Their idyllic situation lasted only two weeks. On the night of January twelwth, Lynx crawled into bed beside his love as usual, and kissed her goodnight, repeating his vow as he had earlier in the day when she received her rose, repeating his vow to give her another rose each and every day for as long as the love and magic lasted.

His only words after that were, “I Love you, darling. Goodnight.” Little did he know just how long the night would last, and how dark it would get before the dawn came.

Cindy's guardian angel was awakened suddenly as she screamed his name. He was sitting up before his eyes even opened. When they finally did open, he saw his beloved trembling in bed. Her eyes were still closed, but her hands were reaching out, searching for the man she loved. Lynx grabbed her hands and screamed for Prue, who was already running toward the room, having been alerted by Cindy's scream.

The rosy pregnant glow had left Cindy’s cheeks, replaced by a gray paleness and the small hands that Lynx held tightly were cold and clammy. Her breathing was shallow and labored as if she was desperately fighting to draw each one. Lynx stared helplessly at his beloved. It was a horrible dream and the only way to save her was to wake her. He screamed her name loudly, shaking her hands, and pleading with her to wake up.

The siren on the ambulance hardly registered on the distraught young man. Suddenly a pair of surprisingly strong hands, surprising because the paramedic they belonged to couldn't have weighed a hundred pounds, grabbed Lynx and pushed him aside to get to the patient in distress. A stunned Lynx watched as three more angels of mercy joined the first and surrounded their bed. Prue barked orders as the skilled professionals worked at a fevered pitch to first stabilize Cindy and then get her to the hospital straight away.

The five minute ride to the hospital was a blur as Lynx held Cindy’s hand, nearly as gone from the land of the living as his beloved seemed. Somehow he found his legs to follow the team leading Cindy into the hospital and into the room Prue had called ahead to have ready.

Once there, the nursing staff started working at warp speed , but for Lynx, everything seemed to be in a slow motion dream state and the medical jargon he heard shouted was gibberish. Machines and tubes were being hooked into Cindy, and he didn't know if they were to save her or suck the life from her.

His mind struggled with a reality he couldn't and wouldn't accept. Just a short while ago his wife was sleeping peacefully, and then she’d cried out his name.

Suddenly, his eyes went wide as it all snapped into place too easily. ‘A nightmare! She was having a nightmare. Yes, that has to be it,’ he reasoned.

She had them from time to time, usually old memories from the dark days of her youth,when she'd cry out for her prince to save her. Lynx would awaken immediately and pull his princess into his arms, holding and rocking her until she calmed.

For Lynx it was suddenly all so simple. Cindy didn't need all these people and these machines. All his princess needed was for him to rescue her from the dark sleep. He'd pull her into his arms, kiss her softly, and in no time at all she'd be resting peacefully again.

A pained cry from Cindy launched Lynx into action and he began trying to push past the nurses separating him from his distraught damsel lost in her dark dream.

Prue, who had stopped momentarily to give instructions at the nurses station when they first arrived, entered Cindy's room to find a trained team of professionals struggling to stabilize her patient, but also struggling with a man who seemed intent on stopping them. The man was her friend, and the loving husband of the woman in danger, but at this moment he was an obstacle to be removed, and it was Prue's job to take charge and remove obstacles.

Lynx felt another arm grab him as he tried to get to Cindy. Only this time, he heard a voice in the fog, a familiar voice calling to him and he turned to find it. It was Prue. Finally, someone who understood the love he shared with Cindy. She would set them straight.

"Prue!" he shouted raggedly. "Cindy's having a nightmare and ... and ... she needs me!"

Prue looked up into Lynx's face, noting the almost glazed look in his eyes, and his frenzied facial expression. She had seen it before, when working in the hospital as an intern and a resident. She knew the normally calm and rational man faced with this horrific experience was neither, now. Once he had some time to calm down he'd be the old Lynx again, but time was a luxury neither Prue nor Cindy had.

The petite professional quickly took charge in a big way, barking, "Lynx! Get the hell out of here, NOW!"

Not having the time for her voice of reason to filter through Lynx's temporary insanity, she directed two nurses to make sure her order was carried out immediately. Lynx gave up his struggle as he was ushered away in an almost zombie state. The last thing he experienced before the door was closed in his face was Prue shouting orders he couldn't understand, but evidently the nurses did, as they were working feverishly to follow them.

Lynx stood staring at the closed door until he was pushed aside by another nurse joining the rescue team. He stumbled a few steps until his back found the wall, and slowly slid to the floor. That was the best place for him until he regained his balance and rational thought.

Ten minutes passed, but in Lynx's state he'd lost all track of time until a shrill ring pierced through the fog. Instinctively, he knew it was an important call on his cell phone. Reality began to settle in, but he still moved in slow motion, opening the phone, and just staring at it while waiting for his power of speech to return.

When he finally answered it, the person on the other end of the line didn't wait for Lynx to acknowledge her, "Lynx? Lynx! This is Tess. Are you all right? Is Cindy all right? Lynx, can you hear me?"

The connection he shared with his twin sister was always the strongest at times of great joy or despair. Tess mentally reached out and pulled her brother out of the fog.

Lynx slowly emerged, his voice low and horse, "Tess ... Tess ... it's Cindy ... I ... I ... don’t know ... Prue's ... Prue's."

Lynx's voice trailed off as he looked toward the door still separating him from his beloved. Tess closed her eyes, feeling the rest of what Lynx could not find words or energy to tell her.

Taking a calming breath, she tried to be clearheaded for both of them, "Lynx, listen to me. Bob and I are going to be on the next plane to New Zealand. Have Prue call Mom and Dad as soon as she can and, Lynx, hang on, okay? Cindy and the baby are going to be fine. Trust me. I just know it."

Lynx, more lucid than he'd been since the nightmare started, nodded into the phone before finally answering, “Okay, Muffin …" Then rational thought kicked in. "Tess, how ... how did you ... I mean, … how could you possibly..."

Lynx’s twin gave him a thin smile he couldn't see as she cut him off, "Know? How did I know something was wrong? C'mon … Lynx, how do I always know? I'm your twin sister, and an Oldenburg woman. I ALWAYS KNOW."

Lynx knew her words to be true. They exchanged quick goodbyes before hanging up. Tess’ call and her mental connection finally sobered Lynx enough to regain his composure and his balance. Once he got to his feet, he made no efforts to crash the party as he had earlier and instead, played the waiting game. All he could do was pace the corridor like an expectant father waiting for word and praying it would be good.


 
End of part 5 of 6 - To Be continued...

up
41 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Rose

This story has been on an emotional rollercoaster for me as well. I have felt the happiness, sadness, and everything else as I read each word and line. I've cried tears of happiness and sorrow as this story has progressed.

Thank you for this Masterpiece. In my humble opinion, it is that and more.

Steve

The Rose

This is a wonderful story. Rarely have I been so moved. I might have to start accusing you of inside trading in the tissue market! Great stuff Maggie.
hugs!
grover