Tamara's Debut - Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Début - A Tommy & Tamara Story
Tamara's Début

 

Part Fourteen

 

by Shiraz

 

 
Monday 1st December
 
Tammy was woken by the bedside phone ringing. It was pitch black in her room and she took a few moments to remember where she was. After putting on the bedside lamp she looked at the clock and saw it was only six o'clock, she finally picked up the receiver after what seemed to be an eternity.

"Hello? I hope this is an emergency."

"Almost Tammy, we have the chopper arriving at seven. Get yourself showered, put something decent on and be down to breakfast by half six. There's a coffee on the way up."

"Yes dad." Tammy was less than enthusiastic, even at school she could have lain in bed until at least half six. She dragged herself into the shower and was back in her bedroom in ten minutes, a hairdryer in her hand. The promised coffee was already sat beside the bed, she sipped it carefully as it felt like it was still at boiling point.

Tammy took a skirt suit out of the walk-in wardrobe and found some appropriate lingerie. It wouldn't be seen but she knew it was reinforce her view that she was a woman through and through. She finished with some light make-up before putting on a blouse and her jacket. Tammy made it downstairs a few minutes after six thirty.

"Come on, we don't have much time."

Richard took his daughter into a small room she didn't recognise. It had a breakfast bar and a serving hatch into the kitchen. Richard explained that when Elsie and Michael were on their own they often didn't take breakfast at the same time so used this small room instead of the dining room.

Sat in this inner room they didn't hear the helicopter touch down but one of the staff informed Richard through the open hatch. They quickly finished their toast and coffee before heading outside with their coats and bags.

It was bitterly cold in the open air with a heavy frost, if it hadn't been for the helicopter then it would have been perfectly still. The chopper blades were still turning as the two approached so they had to dip their heads, a crewman escorted them into the cabin. The noise outside had been tremendous but dropped as the door was slid shut. They took off almost immediately. Tammy still felt like she had to shout however, the noise had affected her hearing temporarily.

"Dad, are we going all the way to Edinburgh?"

"No, Inverness. We have to catch the 07.55 train to Edinburgh, the helicopter has other jobs this morning and can only give us an hour or so."

They rode mostly in silence, it was still very dark and only just above freezing. Apparently sensing this, a crewman gave Tammy and Richard a coffee each, in a non-spill mug.

Just after seven thirty-five they were over Inverness, they landed at Fraser Park and a waiting taxi took them along Kingmills Road to the station. A few minutes later they were sat in the first class section of the train. Richard took some papers out of his briefcase and started looking through them, Tammy had bought a copy of the Scotsman as Richard paid for the tickets, she pulled an MP3 player out of her bag and put the earphones on, to the apparent disgust of passengers in the first class area.

Because of the other passengers, most conversation was limited to current affairs, neither of them had a wish to discuss the day's appointment in any detail, nor the divorce.

"Dad, wasn't Elsie supposed to be with us?"

"Yes, but she had other business to attend to. She's given me something in writing and has made other arrangements."

Tammy knew this was code for a solicitor, she wondered who was paying for the day's case, not that she couldn't afford it herself.

They arrived at Edinburgh Waverley station at half past eleven and took a short taxi ride to the High Court on Lawnmarket. Having walked through the security check, including a rummage of Tammy's handbag and Richard's briefcase, they made their way to the correct waiting area. Richard checked in with the clerk.

"Mr Smart?"

"Yes, Mr Smith?"

"At your service, and I presume this is your daughter?"

"Yes, may I present Miss Tamara Smart."

"Pleased to meet you, can we get a private room before we're called?"

They were led a short distance from the waiting area to a side room. It was very spartan, a table and four chairs, all screwed to the floor.

"I'm sorry about the accommodation, but it's all that's available. Now, we don't have much time so can we get straight to the matter? I have also been asked to represent the school as a joint application, I hope this will add weight. I also believe the High Sheriff's father is an old boy."

"Wouldn't that be a problem, a conflict of interest perhaps?"

"Not in this case as the High Sheriff himself is not an old boy. Now, I have some papers from a Professor Roberts and a Dr Davison, as well as the court papers relating to John McPherson. Is there anything else?"

"I don't believe so."

"Good, I hate surprises," he laughed at his own remark. "Now, Miss Smart, you could be asked how this is affecting you. I need to know what you would say in court."

"I would explain that I need to finish my education in peace. However, until John McPherson comes to terms with his own situation I am a potential target. His mother is trying to calm him but he's not answering her calls. I'm also aware that he made several calls to the media in the past week concerning myself and my school."

"That clarifies what I've been told. Now, isn't St Andrews a private boys school?"

"Currently yes, but the governors are about to admit girls to the sixth form as day students, I should be able to return there as a girl in January once that decision is ratified."

"However, according to the papers I have, you aren't legally female yet."

"No, but I have an appointment with Professor Roberts in a few weeks when I hope that will be clarified."

"I see. Mr Smart, do you have anything to add to your daughter's view?"

"No, she has summarised the situation well."

They were interrupted by a tannoy announcement calling them to Court 8.

Half an hour later they were walking back out onto Lawnmarket. Looking to the right they could see Edinburgh Castle, although low cloud today was preventing a good view. They turned around and walked back to the station, it was closer than they'd realised.

"Dad, I'm trying to work out if we won or not."

"Tammy, the answer is yes and no. We've lost the injunction preventing anyone going to the press about you but the school now has a legally enforceable non-disclosure order. That will protect any student until they leave the school, that includes you."

"So instead of stopping John McPherson from getting me on the front page of the newspaper, he can be prosecuted afterwards."

"Yes, I know it's not ideal but it was the best the High Sheriff would accept as you're over eighteen."

The ride back to Inverness was mostly quiet, with Tammy falling asleep. Richard made several phone calls, only to find that the weather had grounded the helicopter. When the guard came round to check tickets, Richard had to buy onward tickets to Thurso, a further three hours into the Highlands, once the connecting train finally left Inverness.

It was gone nine when they eventually arrived back at the house, both were tired and hungry. Richard knew he'd get indigestion if he ate a full dinner now so had a sandwich, Tammy wanted even less and took herself straight to bed.
 
 
Tuesday 2nd December
 
Of course by seven the following morning Tammy was famished. She dashed through the shower and threw some warm clothes on. Out of the window the gales were blowing the fresh snow around, she'd barely registered the weather the previous evening but could now see the ferocity of the storm.

She reached the bottom of the stairs when Thomas appeared.

"Coffee, Miss?"

"Yes please Thomas, and breakfast if you could."

"Certainly."

There were definite advantages to having staff thought Tammy. The coffee arrived swiftly, breakfast followed a few minutes later. Although Tammy felt she had to keep fit and healthy, the occasional full fat breakfast didn't hurt, did it? She'd almost finished when her father wandered in.

"Couldn't wait for me?"

"I needed this, now I just have to work out how to lose the weight I just put on, carefully that is."

"I certainly hope so, I don't want another medical issue on my hands."

There was apparently an understanding between father and daughter that needed no further explanation. Elsie and Michael appeared next, then Andrea. Tammy screamed and ran straight to her.

"When did you arrive?"

"Yesterday evening when you were still on the train."

"What are you doing back here?"

"I have some days off so I came to see you." Tammy gave her a hug and let Andrea take a seat at the table. Tammy wanted to interrogate Andrea but let her finish her breakfast. Elsie was next to speak however.

"Tammy, Dr Hoskins phoned. There's a new certificate at the surgery for you. He's signed you off until the end of the month with stress."

"I'm not stressed."

"Don't worry about that, he had to put something and that's the easiest to justify."

"I suppose so."

"Anyway, I'll have the school messenger collect it on their way back from the post office, after all it's the school that needs it. That will save you going out. What were you planning on doing today?"

"I don't know. I didn't see any new schoolwork this morning and there's no way I'm heading into town. Any ideas Andrea?"

"How about a swim?"

"Swim?"

"Yes, there's a pool in the basement."

"I don't have a cozzie."

"I'm sure one of mine will fit you, let's have a look."

Half an hour later they walked into the steam room and sat there talking, getting the gossip. Of course Andrea wanted to know what Tammy's doctors had said. Tammy in turn wanted to know what Andrea and her sister had been doing since the previous week.

Andrea had lent Tammy a swimsuit, so that when they emerged from the steam room Tammy could dive into the pool without fear of anything coming adrift. They enjoyed almost an hour in the pool before hitting the poolside shower. Once there Andrea started to peel off her bikini then stopped.

"Tammy, we're girls here right? I need a shower and I'm not ashamed of my body, neither should you be."

They were back in the sitting room at half past ten, giggling at some joke that started fifteen minutes earlier. They'd ended up in Andrea's room sharing the hair dryer before Tammy went to get dressed.

Coffee arrived without anything being said, although the girls almost missed it owing to their continued conversation. Richard excused himself to the study to get some peace. Whilst there he took a call from his solicitor.

"Richard, I've seen the report from Edinburgh. I take it you're not happy?"

"No Gerald, but there's a limit to privacy in this country. At least the school aspect is protected."

"True. Now, about these hotel invoices?"

"Yes, interesting aren't they?"

"I need to know they were honestly obtained."

"Of course, I'm still paying for the suite so I'm entitled to the invoices, I probably had copies of them anyway as my PA handles the account."

"That's fine, it's just in case we are challenged in court. What do you want me to do?"

"How about a few photos of the other party?"

"I'm not certain about that, Swiss law could be a problem. How about we raise the issue with her solicitor and see where it goes, without declaring our hand?"

"If you think that's the best approach. Did you get the financial paperwork?"

"Yes, it looks good. We'll have to work on an optimal settlement once we've heard her demands. We'll also have to meet in a few weeks, are there any days to avoid?"

Richard looked through his organiser before he answered, "Tammy has a couple of appointments she can't miss, they're on the 10th and the 18th, plus the play on the 12th to the 14th. Given the distance we'd need two days for travelling, I'd also need a day to see my PA. That makes three or even four days, can we work around that?"

"How about the 8th?"

"That might work, shall we say just after midday?"

"On a Monday? Only if you pay for lunch!"

"I'll book that then, Gerald."

Richard sent his PA, Tanya Harding, a quick email asking her to book a flight from Wick to Stansted on the 7th and to make sure the house was ready for them that night. He also asked her to meet him at the house on the 8th.

It was lunchtime when Richard returned to the sitting room. The girls had disappeared and the house was strangely quiet. Outside the storm had abated but it was still not good weather for going out. Thomas intercepted Richard as he was heading back to the study.

"Mr Smart, there was a delivery for you, and one for Miss Smart. I've placed them in the study." Richard hadn't been out of the study for two minutes and hadn't seen Thomas until just now, so how? He shrugged and went back into the panelled room.

Tammy's bundle was schoolwork, Richard's was more papers from the bank and some post that had been forwarded by his PA. It included a valuation on the London house plus a current statement on all investments, just in case he thought. Richard left the paperwork to one side, he didn't need to review it all yet.

There was a knock on the door, stood outside were Tammy and Andrea. both wearing shorts and polo shirts. Richard had a hard time concentrating on their faces as he spoke.

"I take it you found the games room?"

"Dad, why didn't you mention it before?"

"Because we both had other things to keep us busy, speaking of which there's some schoolwork on the desk," he pointed over his shoulder.

The groan was very audible but any more complaining was interrupted as Elsie arrived and informed everyone that lunch was served.

After lunch Tammy wanted to get back to the games room but Richard had handed her the coursework. She reluctantly took is upstairs and fired up her laptop. Her emails were the next activity, there were two that stood out.

Miss Smart,
 
I have passed your message to the sixth formers as requested.
 
S. McIntosh
Headmaster

 

Tammy,
 
Thanks for the advance notice of the message you sent.
 
It was mostly seen very positive by the rest of the sixth form, although Ben and Sam tried to create an issue from it, although Mr Small said something this morning in the English class. Otherwise there were no real problems.
 
A few of them have come to speak to me seeing as we'd roomed together for several years and I was able to refute several suggestions. I also told them how I'd seen you several times at the theatre without realising exactly who you were. They have asked me for a photo next time I see you and I think most will try to make it to the show.
 
Regards
 
John

Tammy looked at the email from John Hibbert and knew she had judged him correctly. She had been fully accepted by almost everyone. The exceptions were two sixth-formers who always took the opposite view of the majority plus one teacher she'd already had an issue with. Overall, she had thirty-five plus sixth-formers on her side, not a bad ratio.

She got down to her work, partly because it needed to be done and partly as it would distract her from the other issues. After an hour she had completed the first task, without taking a break. Tammy was going to call the kitchen to ask for a glass of water but decided she should collect it herself, apart from the kitchen staff she saw no-one. Tammy returned to her room to work on the second task.

By four o'clock she was shattered, and upset, nagging doubts were returning. She closed her laptop down then laid on her bed for a moment, only waking an hour later when Andrea knocked on the door.

"Hey sleepyhead, are you staying there or coming downstairs?"

A reluctant Tammy slid off the bed and, still yawning, making her way to the door. Andrea caught Tammy as she started to fall, misjudging where the door frame was. Together they made it down to the sitting room without further incidence. Tammy sat in one of the armchairs and almost immediately nodded off.

Andrea gave up trying to wake her and warned Richard not to try either. Dinner was still fifteen minutes away.

Tammy eventually woke at half past six, just as everyone was leaving the table.

"Tammy dear, I wanted to wake you but Andrea told me I shouldn't."

"That's alright dad, I think I've worn myself out today."

"You really ought to have something to eat, I'll organise a tray for you."

"Okay."

Tammy picked at her food for almost an hour but it was plain she wasn't up for eating. At eight she excused herself and went to her room. Andrea followed a minute later and knocked gently on Tammy's door. She didn't wait for an invite and pushed the door open.

"Tammy, tell me what's wrong."

"I'm just tired."

"It's more than that, isn't it?"

"I don't know."

"Tammy, I've seen that look too many times before. You were tired yesterday, rightly so, but you would have recovered by this morning and not fall asleep twice in the afternoon like that. I want to know what's troubling you."

"Andrea, I'm worried. I'm worried that I won't be able to go back to school, even if the governors allow it. I had an email from a good friend," Tammy walked over to her laptop and powered it up, "I've told the sixth form about me, to stop the rumours, but there's one teacher who's going to make my life hell, and he's already tried once before."

"Have you told Elsie or your father?"

"Previously, yes, but not about today's email."

"You should, can I read the message then I'll call them?"

Tammy accessed her emails, while Andrea was reading John's message a few more arrived. One was from Ben apologising for what he'd said earlier, she imagined that John had pulled him aside for a quiet word. The other was a follow-up from John himself, the prefects were reporting that some of the lower years were spreading vile rumours, and a certain master was the common point of origin.

Tammy held her head in her hands, Andrea moved quickly to hug her, reaching for the phone on the writing desk she dialled the number for the sitting room.

"Elsie, can you and Richard come up to Tammy's room please."

Andrea hadn't let go of Tammy, still sat by the desk. Elsie and Richard arrived in under a minute, Andrea just waved them to the message on the screen. They read it, then Elsie reached over and forwarded it to herself. Returning to the inbox she saw the earlier message from John and forwarded that as well. Andrea had indicated that Tammy had agreed to her intervention.

Richard took over from Andrea, who went to the far side of the room with Elsie.

"This is why she's been upset, that first message was received an hour before I found her asleep. She's beyond being upset, this is bullying by proxy and now she doesn't know if she can go back to the school, even if everyone else agrees she can."

"Andrea, leave this with me. Don't say anything beyond the four of us. Can you give Tammy something?"

"Only paracetamol but it won't help the underlying problem, and that's not a medical issue. I'd rather she had nothing except water, no stimulants."

"I understand. Can you stay with Tammy whilst I speak to Richard downstairs, perhaps you can get her into bed where she'll be more comfortable?"

"I'll get that sorted."

Richard and Andrea moved Tammy onto the bed then Richard left, led by Elsie. Andrea spoke quietly to Tammy to tell her what she was doing, as Andrea removed Tammy's clothes and put her into a nightie. Tammy was asleep even before her head landed on the pillow.

Andrea followed the others down to the study where Elsie was re-reading the forwarded email. She picked up the phone and called her brother.

"Steven, yes I know it's late. I'm forwarding you an email and I want to see you tomorrow morning at nine. I'm going to call Harry and get him there as well. Yes it is serious otherwise I wouldn't be doing this."

She put the phone down, then phoned the chairman of the governing body, passing on the same information.

"Richard, Andrea, there's not much I can do before the morning. Andrea, can you check on Tammy when you turn in?"

"Of course."

Andrea went up to her room and put the TV on as she changed ready for bed.

She'd been watching some quiz show when she heard screaming from the next room. She ran into the bedroom, switching on the light as she entered, to see Tammy thrashing around on the bed. Andrea held Tammy while trying to wake her from an obvious nightmare.

"Tammy, Tammy, it's alright, you're safe."

She repeated this a few times before Tammy settled down then slowly opened her eyes.

"It was horrible, horrible." She started to cry.

By now her father and Elsie were in the doorway but Andrea waved them away. She helped Tammy sit up and put a glass of water to her lips. Tammy's nightie was damp where she'd been sweating so Andrea pulled the duvet back. She moved the pillows to keep Tammy from falling then went to the drawer to find another nightie.

Andrea got Tammy into the clean, dry, nightie and helped her into the bathroom to use the toilet. Tammy was now awake enough to be left for a minute while Andrea ran into her room for two paracetamol. Tammy was just walking back into the bedroom as Andrea returned. She swallowed the tablets then got back on the bed, Andrea sat next to her and straightened the pillows.

"Andrea, it was horrible. Don't leave me."

"I won't." Andrea walked to the door to switch off the lights, then slid into the bed next to Tammy, holding her tight.

up
454 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

mmmmm!

Andrea, does she have a certain attraction for our Tammy! when will Tammy stop all this swooning and feinting! get scribbling Shiraz I hate the suspense.

Suspense .....

shiraz's picture

Much as I hate to say it, there;s not much scribbling to do as Chapters 15 to 25 are written and edited. I'm now working on the follow-up.

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Avidly!!!!

Andrea Lena's picture

....looking forward to your very anticipated follow-up. Yay!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

It's Been Sometime

I think that I have previously read all of Tammy's story that you had previously posted. I recall that it wasn't finished. Assuming my memory is correct, have you started, or are you planning to continue with Tammy's story once all of the updated previously posted material is posted?

Tammy's story

shiraz's picture

When I first wrote, and posted, Tammy's story I had an editor, Gabi Bunton, who also helped other authors on this site. The last chapter I received from Gabi was on Christmas Eve 2010 as she passed away soon after. I unfortunately did not have the courage to continue at the time without her support. All the text being posted now and in the next stage of Tammy's story will have an update, revision/re-edit as I am now confident to do that. There is also a story plan that continues beyond what has already been written or drafted, What this means is that Tammy's story has some life left in it yet.

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Thanks for the Response

I've been enjoying the new posting of this story as much of the rich detail has been forgotten, and I look forward to the continuation of Tammy's story.

"Andrea, it was horrible. Don't leave me."

its interesting that even with all the things going her way, she still struggles.

Not that I would know what that's like, or anything ...

DogSig.png

Thank you Shiraz,

I am sure that Andrea as an RN will be experienced and professional enough to give Tammy the TLC that she obviously needs. Alison will be there as 'backup' for Andrea for the rocky road ahead ,as there is with most transitions.The spectre of John McPherson hovers in the background and Tammy will really need more help then .

ALISON

Congratulations

i'm totally addicted to this story

No NDA On George Small?

joannebarbarella's picture

I would have thought that every teacher's terms of employment would have a clause preventing dissemination of a pupil's private details. Mr Small may be laying himself open to prosecution. I certainly hope so, as what he is doing is plainly malicious.

Concerning choppers (the flying kind); every one I have been near or flown in has been exceedingly noisy. Even screaming will not suffice for communication when you are inside. It is common practice to distribute headphones and mikes to passengers so that they can converse with each other and the pilot in case of need, at least in those that I have flown in.

Stress is cumulative,

I look forward to the future in this.

"Tannoy"

TheCropredyKid's picture

I had been aware that the "tannoy" was a term used in the UK and Commonwealth where we here in the US would say "PA".

Seeing it here i finally got around to looking up the derivation.

I found the following paragraph from Wikipedia interesting:

The term 'tannoy' is often used generically in colloquial English throughout the British Commonwealth to mean any public-address system or even as a verb - to "tannoy", particularly those used for announcements in public places; although the word is a registered trademark, it has become a genericised trademark. The company's intellectual property department keeps a close eye on the media. To preserve its trademark, it often writes to publications that use its trade name without a capital letter or as a generic term for a PA system.

Coca-Cola and Caterpillar Machinery (bulldozers and the like) do much the same, since "Coke" and "Cat" are also registered trademarks.

"Aspirin" and "nylon" once WERE registered trademarks...

 
 
 
x

Not a minor any more

Jamie Lee's picture

Legally, Tammy is no longer a minor, so unless there's a lawful reason the press must leave her alone, she is fair game. However, just because it's legal doesn't mean it's morally right. But no one ever said John was a moral person. Although, people like John usually get what they deserve at some point. They may even end up dead, going in with the wrong people.

Thirty five other students can bring to bare a lot of pressure on two students trying to make trouble. And they don't have to get physical.

Also, a teacher with a cob up his butt should be keeping his personal opinions to himself. Or said teacher could find themselves needing to find other employment. Sad thing is that still teaching at the school or dismissed, he will blame Tammy for his problems. Problems which Tammy has nothing to do with.

Tammy is really upset over maybe not being allowed back in school. And that the teacher is facilitating rumors in the lower forms. That in and of itself is cause for disciplinary action against the teacher. Especially since he may continue to cause Tammy problems if/when she returns to school.

Andrea is a gem, taking her time off to come see Tammy and be with her. Might there be other reasons she came? Might she have eyes for Tammy? Or just consider her a good friend?

Others have feelings too.