Three Wishes, Epilogue

Printer-friendly version

The first day of school was strange for Maddie. Odd things throughout the day seemed familiar to her: watching her mother drive them to school, seeing all the kids milling in the hallway, even watching construction workers at a site across the street. She couldn't explain how or why she felt the way she did, and she knew somehow that she shouldn't mention it to anybody.

The same weird feeling also made her a bit nervous to meet her classmates, as though she was afraid that she might do something wrong or make them mad somehow. But since all of the kids were having the usual first-day jitters, no one really noticed. In any case, her teacher, Ms. Jones, quickly had everyone playing "get to know you" games together, and her fears were forgotten in short order. There was an awkward moment at recess when she accidentally lined up with the boys instead of the girls before heading out to the playground, but she just laughed at her own mistake and ran over to join her new friends in the other line.

By the end of the day, the feeling had faded. Whatever it was inside of her that had been nervous or uncertain had relaxed and released whatever tension it was holding.

As the year went on, Maddie settled in, made friends, picked fights, got into trouble, got out of trouble, fought with her sister, played with her sister--in short, she was a kindergartner. She was the best reader in the class, but had trouble with math. She had trouble tying her shoelaces, but she could get halfway across the monkey bars before having to let go, could do a somersault, and could almost do a cartwheel (Emily was trying to teach her that one). There was the occasional sad day, when she cried in her bed missing her daddy, and it was all Heather could do to hold her and try not to start crying herself, but there were far more happy days, spent playing outside with friends, watching movies with Emily, or just curling up with a blanket and a favorite book.

Still, all good things must end, and after nine long, busy months, the last day of kindergarten came. Madison hugged Ms. Jones goodbye (with tears in both their eyes) and said goodbye to her friends (as their parents made plans for play-dates). There had been a celebratory pizza dinner, then she'd been thoroughly scrubbed, cuddled, and tucked into bed with her blanket and Mr. Bear. But as she drifted to sleep, a thought that was not her own entered her mind.

"Wake up, my dear."

Maddie's eyes shot open. "Hello?" she asked, nervously, looking around the room.

"Shhh, go to the mirror."

"Umm, okay…" she whispered, cautiously, before carefully sliding out of bed and padding over to the mirror. She didn't turn on the big light, but she could still see her reflection just fine in the night-light nearby. A very familiar, very regal woman stepped behind her, glowing softly in the dim light. Like the first time, Maddie whirled around, and once again found no one behind her. She slowly turned, and the reflection smiled.

"Hello again, Bruce."

Maddy couldn't help but giggle. "I'm not Bruce, I'm Maddie! Bruce is my daddy's name!"

"Are you sure?" The reflection quirked an eyebrow, questioningly, as she brushed her hand across Maddie's head.

Suddenly everything came back to Bruce in a rush. He gasped, and his knees went weak, although he could somehow tell she was keeping him upright. "What's… Why are you here?"

"Well, I was thinking back upon things, as I do every spring, and I realized that I never truly asked you for your permission before making the changes I did." The reflection waved a hand at Maddie's small form. "I admit, even I get caught up in the moment sometimes, and so I sprung this all on you as fait accompli. So I owe you an apology, and an offer: if you do not wish to remain as you are, I will restore you back to your original body and life--although with better prospects than before, of course, for your trouble. Or, if you'd rather remain as a child, I could easily make you a boy, instead. I can only make this offer the once, though, and you'll need to decide now."

Bruce thought for a moment. "Can I ask a quick question, first?"

"Of course!"

"The last time we talked, you mentioned something about finding someone for Heather…"

"I did, and I have. You haven't noticed how often you've had babysitters these past few months? And then last weekend, do you think it was a coincidence that you and Emily both went out on sleepovers the same night?" The reflection gave a coy wink. Even in the dim night-light, the blush on Madison's pale cheeks was clear as day. "Trust me, my dear, Heather's well taken care of. She's just trying to figure out the best way to tell you two. She'd better decide soon, though, Emily almost has her figured out."

Bruce nodded, trying to get over the sudden flush of embarrassment. "Good. Thank you."

"You're very welcome! It was sweet of you to ask. And to answer the question you are very respectfully trying not to ask: yes, he's a good man. You would like him, and Maddie will love him. Now, your decision? Return to your old self, return to boyhood, or remain as you are."

Bruce thought back upon the past nine months as Madison. Playing with all of her friends, spending time with her big sister Emily, cuddling with her mommy Heather… Did she want to give that up? She knew it wouldn't last, of course, and that there was a whole, long life filled with uncertainty ahead, but still...

"Can I ask one more question?"

"What is it, my dear?"

"Can I give you a hug?"

The reflection's smile was radiant. Bruce watched her kneel behind him, arms open. He turned, slowly, and she knelt before him, still glowing softly. He all but dove into her arms and clutched her tight, and she almost lifted his small form in return.

"I want to stay like this, as Maddie." he whispered, almost like he was unwilling to admit it out loud. "Please…"

"Of course, child. Of course. Are you ready?"

"Yes."

"Come along back to bed, then."

The woman led Bruce back over to the small, pink bed, and helped him climb back in. She pulled up the covers and tucked them in, then knelt again and kissed Bruce on his forehead. "Goodnight, and goodbye," she said, softly. "Sleep well, little Maddie, and wake in the morning. Tomorrow's a bright, beautiful day."

Madison's eyes closed, and she sighed, and smiled, and snuggled into her blankets, and was soon fast asleep. Tomorrow was the first day of summer, and she couldn't wait.

up
116 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This was a good wrap-up.

A lot of stories go with the "all's well that ends well" moral, and that doesn't really pass the smell test when you are talking about identity death and involuntary magical transformations. By having the opportunity to go back to her old life, Maddie was changed from a victim - albeit one who isn't suffering much - into an empowered newly minted girl embracing a new life.

I really thought this was a sweet ending to an already pretty sweet story. Thank you for the epilogue.

This story really speaks to me

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

Warren Farrell, among others, has written extensively about Male Disposability, and the pain that goes along with it. Christopher Leeson also wrote about it in his TG fiction story, Prisoners of Tiresias. In Three Wishes, it is these two paragraphs that brings the experience home to me:

He covered a sigh by taking a bite of spaghetti, and looked over at his daughter. Chewing slowly, he mused on what had him so down that evening. Even after the accident, he'd loved his daughter’s enthusiasm about almost everything. The way she was gung-ho about every new experience could be almost infectious. So why was tonight rubbing him such the wrong way? “I’m jealous.” The thought hit him like a slap to the face. He had to force himself to swallow the over-chewed spaghetti before he choked on it, then slowly took a sip of soda to wash it down. A quick glance at his dining companions showed neither had noticed, so he took another bite and came back at the issue.

“I’m jealous of my daughter. Why? I have a wonderful wife, my daughter’s a joy. Sure, things have been hard lately, but they’ll get better eventually. Why am I jealous of her?” The answer came to him quickly. “Well, why shouldn’t I be jealous? She’s young, healthy, brilliant, popular, and cute, too. She has her whole life ahead of her. She’s not a broken down ex-construction worker with a busted leg scrambling to find something to keep his family fed. And here she is starting something brand new and exciting, while I mope around at home poking job sites…”

Warren’s and Christopher’s writings have been more validation than revelation to me, as I already have lots of personal experience with Male Disposability, especially as contrasted with Female Desirability. Much of TG fiction is really “preaching to the choir,” fueled as it is by the issues of our discontent. Male loneliness and isolation contrasted against female connectedness and gregariousness is a common theme in the genre, while discussion of what “real men” are called upon to sacrifice is conspicuous by its scarcity. Thank you for writing a story that includes it.