Lest We Forget

Printer-friendly version

Lest we Forget’

By JulieDCole

4a4ebea76c8d3c1b4367c0b647b7bf28_0.jpg

A short story on Remembrance Weekend.

You decided then?

Well I don’t have much choice do I?

But you’re not fit enough or strong enough, just look at you.

Sorry I have to go. It’s important. I have to say thanks and be there just for him.

But he died a long time ago. It’s seventy years or more since they all got killed. Nobody here knew them. They were just marines passing through.

I knew one of them. His name was John. It’s exactly seventy years ago. We only had a few hours together but he was someone very special.

I knew as soon as I looked up into his eyes.

What were you doing looking into his eyes. You were just a young lad.

He helped me after I was beaten outside The Dog and Gun pub.
Yes I remember that pub. They knocked it down years ago. Anyway what were you doing in there? You weren’t old enough to drink.

I didn’t say I was in the pub I said I was outside the pub.

So who beat you up?

It was two guys from school. They were always picking on me. They punched me hard in the stomach and called me names. I managed to protect my face but they broke some of my ribs.

Typical. Anyway think yourself lucky. Nowadays they’d have kicked you and jumped on you.

Not that night they wouldn’t. John stepped in and they tried to beat him but he was too strong.

You never told me before. Who was he then? Why do you feel you have no choice but to go?

Because I fell in love with him and he kissed me. He told me I was beautiful and he wished he didn’t have to leave. He wanted a photo of me but I didn’t have one. He gave me a photograph of him.

Well you were beautiful and you still are. So what happened to the photo then. You never showed me or even told me. I thought we were special friends?

We are but you’re a woman and he was a man.

Yes but you were a man. Why did he think you were a woman?

I went out for a walk in my sisters clothes didn’t I dimwit.

So that’s why you were beaten up. They caugh you outside in drag. It wasn’t accepted in those days so I’m not surprised.

It’s not accepted now either in this village. Nothing has changed. Attitudes never change. The world is so unfair.

But you’ve lived as a woman as long as I’ve known you so things must have changed.

I suppose so but it wasn’t easy. I just wish he’d have come back. I’m sure he meant to. He seemed so sincere.

But are you sure he was killed?

‘Yes or he’d have come back wouldn’t he?’

‘Not necessarily he might have had a girlfriend at home.

No he didn’t and I know he’d have come back for me.

How come you are so sure?

Because I checked didn’t I. He gave me a locket that had had his sister and mothers photos inside and he asked me to save it for him. It was supposed to keep me safe like they meant it should keep him safe when they gave it to him.

Huh typical American belief. What happened to it?

I don’t have it anymore just his photograph in my handbag. I always carry him with me and take it out when I go to the Remembrance Day service.

Well I never. You kept that secret all these years.

Yes but this might be my last time as you know.

Don’t be like that. Keep fighting Remember what Churchill said. Never, Never, Never give in.

Yes but I think it’s time for me to find him.

I thought you said he was dead.

He died in France but not in my heart.

Are you sure? Maybe he just went home.

No I found the cross in a giant graveyard.

How did you know it was his?

Because. I know.

OK but there are thousands of crosses and who knows if it was really his resting place.

I know it was. I could sense him looking down at me.

That’s just the impact that such a large loss of life has.

Well there was another reason I knew it was his cross.

‘Oh really.

Yes because when I got up to go I met his mother and sister who had been watching me for ages.
They’d had a letter from him the same day he died. They told him he’d met someone special in England and she was the one.

How do you know he meant you? The USA soldiers chased all the women.

Yes but that doesn’t mean he meant you does it. Anyway back then you weren’t like you are now. You were a young guy not a girl. He’d have known surely.

Maybe. Probably. I’m not sure but you are right I suppose because of what he said in the letter.

What was that?

His mom said I was special and he hoped she would understand.

Well maybe I suppose.

So what did you do when you met them?

We hugged each other for ages and just cried. He was obviously very special.

Did they know?

Probably but they treated me like I was his special girl not as a boy. That’s how I dressed because that was who I was when we met.

So what did you do after that? Did you keep in touch or exchange addresses you’ve never said.

No but I know we should have done. I think his mother died anyway not long after that since she had been very ill and shouldn’t have travelled.

Oh how nice. So was that it then. What happened to the locket? Where is it can I see it?

No. I knew she needed it more than me so I gave it back................. I know it will have helped.

thMXMQKYSX.jpg

up
234 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you,Julie,

First Andrea,now you----you both have me reaching for the tissues .But we must never forget !

ALISON

Well then

Who do you think inspired me to write this story today?
Then the photo came out of thin air. How did that happen? Why?
It was as if someone was telling me what to write and I decided not to embellish or edit it.
I just put keyboard to screen. Who knows?

Jules

Brava, Julie.

Written with your usual grace. My eyes perspire. (old Riot Grrls don't cry.)

Never

Andrea Lena's picture

...forget... Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

never forget

I hope we can keep remembering, even as the soldiers who served in WW II are starting to pass away ...

DogSig.png

Wonderful

Very nice little story.
I took my Mother (92) to visit the field of Poppies at the Tower of London very early this morning. Even at 6am there were hundreds of people there. I knew about her four Uncles that died in WW1 and were each represented by a poppy in the 888 thousand poppes that were there. What I didn't know was that there were three more poppies there for my Father's elder Brothers who died. Two at Mons and one on the Somme. A total waste of a generation.

Lovely story and just right for the time of year.

Amazing

I'm glad you responded since your few words have reminded us of what sacrifices were really made.

Jules

Thank you

As I read this and remembered those who I served with so many years ago, you brought tears to this old grizzled vet's eyes. So to all of those who gave all, I give my own thanks and will never forget May GOD bless all

No

It is you and all the ones who gave their lives and those who supported them who deserve all the thanks. I was just a messenger today who wanted to say thank you.

Jules

Never forget

Being an In Home Care Giver I have assisted a few a veterans if ww2. My last one and most favorite one passed away last Memorial Day. He had served in the Navy for sixteen years and the rest of hiscareer in the Coast Guard along the Oregon Coast. He and his wife who still lives had television antennae and satellite business until the modern T.Vs come into the world.

George was his name. His last name should have been angel because to me he was an angel.
He and his wife were and she still is very accepting of everything that was or is not harmful so if someone comes along that is transgendered in any way they
are treated as family.

I miss you George and will never forget you!

Reading this story reminded me of George and all the other Veterans I took care of. :)

Vivien

Some of us can never forget.

D. Eden's picture

Some of us relive things every night, and say a prayer for those who have gone on ahead of us.

I can feel you every day watching over me, keeping me safe as you always did.

I will never forget any of you. Thank you for what you have given to me. I hope that I have been worthy of your gift, and I will try to be the best that I can for all of you guys.

Keep them on the straight and narrow Tommy, and save a dance for me. I promised you one so many years ago and I plan to keep that promise.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Lest We Forget... Recessional

Recessional
By Rudyard Kipling

1897
God of our fathers, known of old,
Lord of our far-flung battle-line,
Beneath whose awful Hand we hold
Dominion over palm and pine—
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget—lest we forget!

The tumult and the shouting dies;
The Captains and the Kings depart:
Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice,
An humble and a contrite heart.
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget—lest we forget!

Far-called, our navies melt away;
On dune and headland sinks the fire:
Lo, all our pomp of yesterday
Is one with Nineveh and Tyre!
Judge of the Nations, spare us yet,
Lest we forget—lest we forget!

If, drunk with sight of power, we loose
Wild tongues that have not Thee in awe,
Such boastings as the Gentiles use,
Or lesser breeds without the Law—
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget—lest we forget!

For heathen heart that puts her trust
In reeking tube and iron shard,
All valiant dust that builds on dust,
And guarding, calls not Thee to guard,
For frantic boast and foolish word—
Thy mercy on Thy People, Lord!

Few poems have ever touched me like Recessional. It was all I could think of from about halfway through.

Thank you,
Beth

Thank you.

Too many people don't remember the real reason for Veteran's Day, or Remembrance Day. If they do at all, it's only in passing as they reach for the bags of charcoal, bottles of sunscreen and bags of hamburger buns on sale at the local grocery.

I had an uncle I never knew who signed up on December 8th, 1941, and was killed six months later and is now buried in the Red Chinese Provence of Panama. My father was a Marine that served on board an aircraft carrier, in a Marine fighter squadron. I was in the Navy, in submarines.

If you see a veteran, whether they are an old grey haired veteran of D-Day, or a fresh faced teenager who's only survived boot camp, say thank you. If you know a Veteran who's in need, help them. If you're married to one, hold them when the night terrors and the demons come.

Thank you Julie.

Thank you...

To veterans past and present, who have given or are giving their all so that the world can be a safer place for everyone. Without them, our world would be a very different place. *HUGS*

Thank you for an excellent story.

The technique you used has no

The technique you used has no right to work. But it does, and that's solely down to the sincerity that shines through this excellent piece from the first word to the last.

Ban nothing. Question everything.

It's true

It was written in 30 minutes yet it received more than 100 kudos that is probably an indication of the respect we all have and the gratitude of most people whatever might be felt.
It was inspired by a piece from Drea and written in the style of a famous orator who made me smile with 'The Day War Broke Out.' It was English humor at it's best. The old Radio programmes and TV shows like 'The Good Old Days' must take some credit. Then there was a comedian called Les Dawson who sometimes dressed as a woman and chatted to his friend Cissy.
I just tried to say thanks and paint a picture with very little paint and one small brush. I had some touching responses so it was well worth submitting it. I found some new friends. Thanks to you for your kind comments.

Jules

thanks

Just awesome

MICKIE

Thank you, Julie

gillian1968's picture

A wonderful story, simple and touching.

I like a technique where the reader learns about the characters from what they say and do without the author feeding them too many answers.

And that's really what you do in this story!

Gillian Cairns

Hi

I just wrote 2 lines that came into my head and after that I have no idea what happened. I'd like to think I could repeat the experience sometime. I hardly needed to edit it and I never even stopped for a cup of tea.
I never got so many kudos before so I don't know where to put them. Normally I just gather a few.
I'm glad I could say thanks in this way. I just saw Melanie E use a similar technique that also worked.

Jules

Touched me.

Podracer's picture

Never served, never seen conflict, I still feel thankful for those who gave, and hurt that some gave all.

Your story works, Jules, I hope you can see how well, and find it satisfying :)

"Reach for the sun."

Thanks

The story was inspired by real life events and a wonderful film that brought back memories.
The comments I received were much appreciated and the kudos score was one of my highest. I learned a lot from writing on this site but the story just happened. I had no plan and I let it come out from inside.
So it worked for me.
Hugs

Jules