The Princess ~ 1

Printer-friendly version

This is the continuing saga of a once lost and orphaned boy—now a Princess in her own right.

NOTE: This is the Book 2 of the 'Nellethiel's Song' trilogy. You should start with Book 1 ~ 'The Waif', if you have not read that story.

Part One: Coronation!


The Princess ~ Part 1


I stand up straight and tall on the pedestal; but I am fidgety. I am being fitted for my coronation gown and have been standing here for what seems like hours while she pins, and snips, and pins, and sews…

To distract myself, I think back over the events of the last week…ever since Miri and I had rescued my parents. Once we had arrived back at the castle and everyone saw that Mother, the missing Queen of Elves, was back…well, all Hell broke loose. Then, even more broke loose when they found out I really am her Halfling daughter… conceived by the King of Humans; in defiance of her own law.

From that point on, it was all about her explaining why she had left and had had me—and me getting ready to be crowned as Princess. The first Halfling Princess ever in the history of the Elves; no pressure at all. Oh, wait—there is also the small expectation that I will somehow be able to make nice with the Black Witch and, together with her, save the forest, including our ‘Tree of Life’—a very old Oak in the middle of the forest, from a stream of poison seeping in from the cursed outer realm. Like I said, “No pressure at all!”

The seamstress looks up at me and asks, “What did you say, Princess?” I roll my eyes. Did I say that out loud? I sigh and say, “Nothing, Melda, I was just talking to myself. Are we almost done? My feet are killing me.” She snorts and says, “We will be done in due time, Princess. Just a little longer…”

An hour later, I finally get down off of the pedestal. I kick off the really high heels and limp out of the room bare-footed. I nearly run into Miri waiting outside the door. She giggles and says, “Well, it is about time you got out of there!” I give her a nasty scowl and retort, “Maybe I can abdicate. Let’s go tell Mother, right now!” Miri giggles again and we go to the dining hall.

Mother gives me a nasty scowl as we enter the hall and I am carrying my heels. I sigh and slip them back on. I whisper to Miri, “How do you stand these things? I never had to wear them before Mother got back!” She whispers back, “No, you never had to wear them until you turned into an adult woman. At your age, it is expected… Especially, as royalty. And, yes, I wore them…you just never noticed... Well, and I didn’t when we were out practicing archery, of course.” I groan and say, “And this bra…these boobs are so…inconvenient!” Miri giggles and we sit down to eat.


I won’t fidget! I won’t fidget!

I stand straight and tall…in front of the crowd. Like I have a choice in the ultra-tight coronation gown…and the corset that won’t let me take more than half a breath at a time… I know I look awesome, though!

Mother carries the crown over to me…presenting it to the crowd the whole way. She lifts it high…slowly sets it on my head…and…the crowd roars… I am now officially the crown princess of the Elves… Oh, don’t forget, though I am still a Halfling—no pressure…

I look at the crowd roaring and blush. A few days ago, I did not expect this to be happening. There was a lot of discontent that Mother even considered crowning me… That got worse when she would not change the law on Elf-human bonds—not that anyone wanted to; it was just the principal that she was allowed and no one else. She settled things down, though, by pressing the message delivered by the Sequoia. She also explained that it opened up the possibility of reestablishing relations between the races, which could change the law, if a way could be figured out on how to screen Darkness-tainted humans…

I look down and see my Father smiling up at me. I still have no idea how this coronation plays into my role as a human princess—again, no pressure! I know that he is leaving to go back to the human realm in the morning and retake the crown. I am to follow him in several months to help foster relations between the races, before embarking on the mission to stem the poisonous ‘flow’ from the outer realm. But first, I have to learn to work with my Halfling counterpart; the Black Witch.

Mother brings me out of my reverie, as she says, “Nellethiel, it is time to go to the clearing.” I nod and pick up the small red velvet bag, carefully tied closed with a golden drawstring. I very slowly get down off the podium, taking each stair carefully. Between the long gown, the ultra-high heels, and the tight corset pushing my now formidable breasts up into my face, my balance is off and the dress is a tripping hazard. Just HOW did I get to be a girl again? I didn’t have these issues as a boy…

I take up my spot at the head of the procession and slowly make my way to a clearing about a quarter mile outside of the main castle area. I nearly trip on several roots and stones, but make it without falling on my face. Miri keeps promising I will get better at this…it should would be nice if it was NOW!

When we reach the clearing, I continue on to the center, while the rest of the procession forms a circle around the perimeter. I carefully open the small bag and gently let the precious acorn from the Oak ‘Tree of Life’ fall into my hand. I kneel down, unsteady on my heels, and place the small seed into a prepared hole in the fertile earth. There is a small watering can waiting for my use and I pour water onto the small mound after scraping the loose dirt into the hole.

Then…I sing… Mother had taught me the ‘Coronation Song’. It is a slow, almost melancholy song to begin with…then becomes faster-paced and more upbeat…then positively happy. As I sing, the acorn sprouts, then starts to quickly grow…and mature. By the time I am finished, there is a small oak sapling—almost as tall as I am—standing where the hole stood a few minutes ago.

I smile at my Mother, tears in my eyes. This is the next generation Tree of Life. Every newly crowned Crown Princess plants a new oak, which is the new Tree of Life when she takes over as Queen. I take an emotional and shaky breath, still totally shocked that I actually created a tree, and stand up.


I hug Father and say, “Must you go? I just got you back…” He hugs me back, tightly, and says, “You know I must, Princess. I will see you at the Eagle’s Ledge in a few short months. Make nice with Vanmoriel…learn to work with her. Then come and reconnect with your Human heritage. You are one half of free Earth’s hope… I know you will be the savior you are determined to be, my daughter!”

I look at him and want to scream at him… Talk about ‘no pressure’ …then I remember not remembering him…thinking I had lost him forever; and I sob… I say, “I will see you soon, Father. I will expect to be treated as a Princess, you know!” He snickers and says, “Yes, Milady!”

And he crosses through the golden veil. A minute later, he is on a horse…galloping away…


I look at Mother, Aunt Lothi, and Miri. I grimace and whine—very un-Princess-like, “Do I have to?” Miri rolls her eyes, and says, “Nelle, get a grip! You are only meeting with the Black Witch for a play date. How bad can it get…?” Then she giggles and says, “OK, don’t answer that!”

This time, Mother rolls her eyes and says, “Nelle, Vanmoriel will be fine. I have explained the prophecy to her. She is looking forward to meeting you.” Now, it is my turn to roll my eyes. I say, “Mother, I have met her. She tried to kill me!” This time, Aunt Lothi speaks up, “Nelle, if Vanmoriel had wanted you dead, you wouldn’t be here. Right now, it is not about what you feel comfortable with—it is about the safety of your people. Get over your prejudice and go meet with your Halfling cousin!”

I gasp and ask, “She is my cousin? Who…?” Mother gets impatient and says, “It was a figure of speech, Nelle. Now, GO! I am tired of this procrastination!” I lower my head in shame and say, “Yes, Mother.”

I dip a toe into the brook and Laesneniel greets me. She bows and says, “Hello, Crown Princess. The Black Witch, Vanmoriel, is on her way.” I feel that whoosh of wind—like long ago—and the witch stands on the bank opposite me. She reaches out a black-clawed hand and says, “So, the other Halfling graces me with her presence.” I swallow my pride and take her withered hand. I climb out of the brook and onto the opposite bank.

She smiles; she is deceptively beautiful. Her coal-black hair shimmering in the light of the full moon. Her bright red lips, plump and iridescent. Her perfect teeth nearly glowing in the dark, they are so white.

She looks at me intently and says, “You have developed well, Halfling. I was not sure you could survive when we last…met… I am glad you live—we can be a formidable team.”

She leads me through the forest—on the human side of the brook—to a cottage. She enters and beckons me in. A fire is slowly dying in the fireplace, the embers glowing bright red. I look around, expecting…I don’t know what… Children in cages? It looks like a normal cottage; neatly kept and clean.

She motions for me to sit in a chair and goes to stoke the fire. Soon the kettle of water is hot and she is making a pot of tea—from some mix of unknown herbs… She quietly lets it steep as I continue to scrutinize my surroundings. After a couple of minutes, she hands me a cup of the hot brew. I sniff it… Peppermint, orange…and? I take a sip…Oh…cinnamon……and…feel…heavy…but happy…


I wake up in bed…but where? Then, I remember… The Black Witch’s cottage! I look around. It is barely dawn…and hardly noticeable—there is so little light that makes it to the bottom of the Witch’s Hole.

I quietly slip out of bed and make my way to the door. I am about to open it up, when I hear, “If you need to use the bathroom, I have indoor plumbing. It is over here…” I sigh and follow the sound. I was planning on escaping home…but, I know Mother and Father are counting on me. As are the whole of the Elven and Human races… No pressure!

I take care of my morning business and come back into the main part of the cottage to the smell of frying bacon. I have not had meat in so long, I find myself both salivating at the smell—and gagging at the thought. When she is done, she places a plate of fried eggs, bacon, and fried potatoes on the table in ‘my’ spot. I sit down and fight the urge to gag—then take a bite. I moan—I had missed the flavor… I quickly down the plate of food and sit back to let it settle. Then, I run outside and throw it all up… Every bit of the wonderful breakfast is soon on the ravine’s floor…

The Black Witch hands me a glass of water and some melon. She says with a semi-sympathetic tone, “You are a Halfling. The ward hid your Elven side…now it is free… You cannot tolerate meat—even though your other half needs it to survive. Here, here is a platter of fruit. Eat up! It is what your dominant Elvin side will accept. You will need you energy for what is next.

I finish the last bit of my melon and…am attacked by the witch! Before I get a chance to even think about reacting… I am going to die! How could this happen? I was just trying to think of a way to start the conversation and she sends a stinger at me.

I shake my head and think. I have not learned many defensive wards or charms; the sounds of the spells, however, are the best motivator of creativity. In a few minutes, Vanmoriel and I are both panting—out of breath. We are at a standstill…of sorts… Vanmoriel could easily have killed me; but I have not been bad; and held my own for a first makeshift lesson. Vanmoriel smiles; it is a scary smile, but a smile, none-the-less…

I stand there…waiting to see what she will do next…

up
245 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

no pressure !

giggles

DogSig.png

;)

HUGS!

I wonder if the Black Witch

I wonder if the Black Witch would have tried an un-expected attack as she did on Nell, if that person had more training than Nell presently has? It would seem she could have been seriously injured or possibly even killed trying it.

"Play Date"...

The kind that a mouse shares with a cat, it seems.

I guess Vanmoriel has enough incentive for their ultimate success to prevent that sort of finish -- at least one hopes so, or this story's not going to last much longer. Considering that time seems controllable on at last the elf side of the river, one would think the urgency of getting Nelle into action here before she had any training shouldn't have been all that great.

Eric

Time control...

It is not so much control...as moving within the flows. :)

And, unfortunately, as we will soon see...it does not work on the poisonous flow from the outer realm... It is not urgent, yet, but the effects on the Oak can not be turned back...

Could have poisoned her or stabbed her while asleep but did not

The witch is teaching her difficult but important lesions, such as what food she can eat and to distrust drinks/food offered to her. Plus combat with spells... and weapons I hope.

I suspect the witch's incentive is IF they can succeed in the prophesy perhaps the dark taint can be removed and the Halfling witch rejoin either the human or elven realms other than this exile she now endures.

BTW I quote...

>>
and the tight corset pushing my now formidable breasts up into my face
>>

Formidable boobs? Oh dear, when she visits her dad will she have to fight of the guys with a BIG stick. And maybe some of the girls.

Worry for the king off on his own. Unless he has a loyal escort waiting. One that is not tainted.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I think...

You are tracking on ALL counts...! :D

HUGS!
Shauna