Five Hertz of Separation (chapters 11-15 of 62)

Printer-friendly version

Five Hertz of Separation

CHAPTER ELEVEN

We pull into Sweetwater at around 12 cycles, I think. We don’t have a clock, though most towns seem to have a big town clock. Another sign of an almost complete lack of tech. They don’t have mail or newspapers either. Information seems to pass strictly by word of mouth, which, as we all know, is really reliable.

The town got its name from the decent water from its wells. Low in iron and minerals so naturally soft or “sweet”. It’s a heck of a lot nicer looking place than Shellcrest but just about as big, though it’s shaped more like a typical city instead of running along the top of a ridge. It has a center city square, a business district, an upper crust neighborhood and a not so nice neighborhood.

Johnathyn has a meeting with another contact this evening, again at a bar. I don’t even try to argue with him this time. I’d like to meet this contact of his because I’ve got questions but there are more important things to do tonight. Dierdra has a friend who lives in Sweetwater, another witch who is also a Healer, what passes as a doctor in this world. I don’t mean that sarcastically. After what I’ve seen, anyone willing to pitch in and try to help people in this world is okay by me.

Ever since the snake bite incident a couple of days ago, Lee won’t leave me but for a few minutes. When we first met, she was naturally curious about me, an outsider. The ultimate outsider in fact. She had a lot of questions. I let her use the laptop primarily to shut her up. We became friendly, more like girlfriends. Then Johnathyn began to defer to me for keeping her in line so I became more of a parental figure; enforcing bed time, eat your vegetables, clean up the wagon, that sort of thing. She didn’t resent it, she actually seemed to prefer it, like she now had a mom and a dad. Then came the incident with the soldiers. After that, it was like she wanted nothing to do with me. I assumed it was the shock of seeing someone killed right before her eyes, but I think there was more to it than that. I think she was afraid of me.

Can’t blame her for that. I was a little afraid of myself too.

Now, I’ve got a shadow, a helpful shadow, but a shadow nonetheless. If I tell her I need to talk with Johnathyn or Dierdra in private, she’ll happily oblige but then she’s right back as soon as we’re finished. At least she does what I say without any back talk. That’ll probably wear off fairly soon.

We have reservations at another decent inn, the “White Herron” this time. It’s only for three people so Johnathyn pops for a second room for Dierdra. I think he got the money from the rich guy whose arm I saved. He wanted to pay that night but I wouldn’t accept it, apparently violating some custom or another. As I had just proven I was a damn kick ass witch, they didn’t argue with me then but left stuff at our wagon that night before splitting. Johnathyn was impressed by the amount of cash in the pouch he left behind.

He should see what I’ve got sewn into the padded straps of my backpack.

With Dierdra here, I’m not going to force another family meal in the bar so we “girls” eat in our room while Johnathyn dines and drinks alone. It still pisses me off, but both Lee and Dierdra are more comfortable this way so I decide to save that fight for later. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

As soon as Johnathyn leaves, we head for Dierdra’s’ friends place. Her name is Beckwith and lives on the edge of the not so nice part of town. Johnathyn wasn’t too happy about us going without him but I reminded him which of us had recently taken care of two armed guards. He made me promise to be more cautious in the use of my powers this time.

It took about twenty decicycles, their version of minutes, to reach Beckwith’s house, which looks like a combination of a home and a clinic. She is working on a woman with a broken arm when we get there. The two women touch foreheads, then hug each other.

“Beckwith, it has been too long.”

“It has, my friend, much too long. Who do you have with you?”

“This is Leeanna Tyber and her mother, Alexia Tyber.” Leeanna smiles and hugs my arm. Dierdra continues. “Alexia is another friend.”

“I thought she might be.” The woman Beckwith had left to see us moans in pain. “If you will pardon me, I must deal with this immediately. We can talk when I am done.”

“May I?” I ask.

Beckwith looks first at me, then towards Dierdra. “Can she?”

Dierdra smiles reassuringly. “Yes, she certainly can.”

I step forward and gently cradle the broken arm in my hands. The girl winces. She is not that much older than I am. She looks worried about a stranger working on her.

“Don’t worry. This won’t hurt.”

It is easier to go into my trance than before. The broken bone is crystal clear in my mind, but it is not a straight, clean break. It is a spiral break. Someone twisted this girls arm. Violently twisted it until it broke. I can also see bruising at the break and around the wrist. Out of curiosity, I check her neck, through the scarf she is wearing. Bruises there too. Repairs first, questions later.

“I was wrong. This will hurt a bit but you will be as good as new in a few decicycles.”

“What do you … ahh ahhh aahh!”

I twist her arm ever so slightly to align the bones correctly, causing her to cry out in pain. I need to work on a pain killer. As quickly as I can, I bridge the gaps with new bone growth then clear out the clotted blood from the bruises and repair the blood vessels. I give her a quick once over to look for other damage. I don’t see anything unusual but do see that she’s pregnant. The fetus isn’t very large and I can’t tell the sex. At least not visually. Focusing in on the fetus, I concentrate on a single cell, then the nucleus of the cell and finally the chromosomes of that cell. Two XX’s. It’s a girl.

I draw back from her body and release her arm.

“There, good as new, though I’d take it easy for a week or so, just to make sure. Keep the arm in a sling and don’t lift anything heavy. Make sure you eat lots of leafy green vegetables, plenty of iron. Of course, you’ll want to do that anyway, right?”

“I - I do not understand.”

I motion for Dierdra and Beckwith to join me a few feet away.

“She’s pregnant,” I whisper. “It’s a girl. Should I tell her?”

“How did you mend her arm? How do you know this?” asks Beckwith.

“The arm I can explain later. The pregnancy, I saw it. Two X chromosomes means it’s a girl, unless your biology is way different than mine.”

“What are these krome-o-zones you speak of?”

Dierdra touches her arm. “If Alexia says it is so, it is so.”

“Also, someone has been abusing this girl and I want to know who and why.”

Beckwith eyes me suspiciously. “Why do you say this?”

“Because I took some criminology classes in college, mostly for self-defense purposes when the law came looking for me, but they also dealt with abuse cases. Spiral breaks are almost always from abuse. They can be caused by other things but you add the bruises on the wrist and neck and the odds scream abuse. And I’m tired of this shit. Someone’s gonna pay. Now.”

Dierdra moves her hand from Beckwith’s arm to mine.

“Alexia, we do not want trouble, not now. Let us talk to the girl …”

“Minerva,” says Beckwith.

“With Minerva and see where it leads. Just remain calm. Do nothing, Alexia. Please.”

I look at Dierdra, then at Lee, who is sitting quietly in the corner, straining to hear our conversation. She smiles at me when she sees me look her way.

“Alright. Nothing. For now.” We turn back towards Minerva, who is rubbing the spot of the break with her left hand.

“The pain is practically gone and I can use my arm. How is this possible?”

“Miracle of modern medicine. How did you break that arm?” I ask.

She looks away and down. “I fell.”

“And the bruises on your wrist?” I ask.

“When I fell.”

I persist. “And your neck?”

She reaches up and touches the scarf wound tightly around her neck but says nothing. Dierdra gently removes her hand from the scarf, cradling it in her hand.

“We only wish to help, child.”

“I am not a child. I am a married woman.”

“Thank Zaphod for that,” I say. “I assume your husband knows you’re pregnant.”

“I am?!” she gasps.

“You didn’t know?”

“I … I thought I might be, but I was not certain. Are you certain?”

“Yeah, I’m certain. Do you want to know if it is a boy or a girl?”

“You know that?”

“I do. The question is, do you want to know?”

She hangs her head for a moment or two, then looks around the room at each of us. “No. Let it be a surprise for us.”

“Fine by me. Did your husband break your arm, Minerva? I know someone did, it sure as hell wasn’t a fall.”

She closes her eyes and sighs. “It was my father.”

“Why would your father do such a thing?” Beckwith asks.

“Because I disobeyed him. He had sold me to a business friend of his but I did not love him. I loved my husband, Iskirk. We ran away and were married. That was a year ago. Now my father has found me.”

SOLD?! “Where is Iskirk?”

“Away. He works for a farmer and they have gone to Glory to buy seed for the spring planting. He won’t be back for another week.”

“More importantly, where is your father?” I inquire. Dierdra heard the hidden intention in my question.

“Likely where I left him, in our home.”

“Which is your home?”

She points out Beckwith’s window. ”The green one at the end of the lane.”

My eyes follow to where she is pointing. I see the house. I am in the house.

“Was your father wearing a black shirt and tan pants?”

“Yes,” she answers quietly. “How did you know …”

“Does he have a scar above his right eye?”

She just nods, speechless.

“Did your husband have a bottle of Klatch hidden in the top cabinet in your kitchen?”

Beckwith gasps. “How could you possibly know THAT?!”

“Because her father found it and is sitting in the kitchen, drinking it right now. I’m guessing he’s not a happy drunk. What do you want me to do to him, Minerva? I could bend his arm up behind his back and twist it until it broke, just like he did to you. I could poison the Klatch, killing him. Klatch is already so close to poison it wouldn’t take much to push it over the edge. How do I punish him for what he did to you?”

“Why do you do anything?” asks Beckwith.

“Because, Beckwith, if I don’t, when Minerva returns home with her repaired arm, he will be so pissed and drunk that he could try to kill her this time. Kill her or hurt her again. Maybe it would be best if he just disappeared completely. I could do that, you know.”

I can feel Dierdra near me. “I believe you, Alexia. I know you could do all that you say. And more. But we do not have the right to just kill this man. You yourself said that you did not wish to kill any more people.”

She has me there. Damn it. “I could still break his arm.”

“To what end?”

“It would lay him up for awhile; give Iskirk a chance to get home.”

“Perhaps Beckwith knows of someone who would take Minerva in for a few days, long enough for her husband to return. Come back to us, Alexia.”

I linger in Minerva’s kitchen, watching the son of a bitch make a mess of her tiny but neat kitchen. He has his boots on her table, leaning back in a chair, balanced on two legs, the bottle of Klatch tipped up as he drinks. I push the chair over and he falls, striking his head on the wall. He crumples to the floor, unconscious.

He’s alive but he’ll have one hell of a hangover when he gets up. I make sure of that. I return to Beckwith’s house.

“Do you have some place safe for her to stay?”

“I do know of a couple who help women temporarily. I can take her there, it’s not far.”

“I need some of my belongings!” Minerva cries.

“Go home and pick them up. Your father won’t bother you for awhile. He’s a little under the weather. If you have any money or valuables, I’d take them with you too. Don’t leave anything for him to destroy or steal.”

“I will go with her,” says Beckwith. “We won’t be long.”

“Good. When you get back, we have some things to talk about.”

* * * *** * * * *** * * *

“Amazing!”

“Keep quiet, Pegues! I do not wish to be the center of attention.”

“Tyber, no one is paying any attention to either of us. They are watching the dancing girls. Why did you think I picked this location?”

I look about me. He is correct; all eyes are focused on the stage where three girls dance barely clothed. They are thin and ill fed, desperation clear in their faces, though they try to hide it. He slaps me on the back.

“Enjoy yourself, man. I know that you are getting no relief from Alexia. Are you certain that she killed both men? It could not have been an accident?”

“People do not ‘accidentally’ lose their heads. The first died before my very eyes, the second half a league away but I found the body. Exactly as the first guard. Alexia was quite upset.”

“She will get over it.”

“That is not all she has done. She saved my daughter from death after she was bitten several times by Woodland Adders. She also cured both a paralyzed man and a woman afflicted with Black Lung. She also saved another man’s arm from amputation. They were all quite grateful. As was I.”

“And I am certain you showed her how grateful you were, ‘eh Tyber?”

“As much as she would permit. She is modest.”

“I am not interested in her Healer skills. I need a fighter and killing a man at half a league shows great promise. We may win yet. Continue as you are. Be at Hampsted a week from tomorrow. That will be your last stop before Glory. We will be ready by then.”

“Ready for what, Pegues? What is this plan of yours?”

“You need not worry about that, Johnathyn. Every man plays his part. Your part is to deliver our witch to Glory. You need not concern yourself with the other details.”

“I will not hand Alexia over to you or anyone else to face certain death, Pegues!”

“Surely, you have not developed feelings for this … woman? Alexia is an abomination! A woman who was a man not eight weeks ago. Not only a man but an offworlder, someone who has nothing in common with us, someone whose people have come to our world to strip it of its valuable minerals and pay but a pittance of their true worth! Our world is being raped by her people while Opulessa stands by and permits it, while First Minister Dupree fills his pockets along with the pockets of his friends.”

“And how will it be different with Patron Miller in charge?”

“He will make certain that our world is respected by the Consortium, that we receive proper compensation for our minerals. That the rewards are not concentrated in the hands of a privileged few.”

“And when will women be treated equally with men?”

“Eventually but not right away, of course. That will take time. Our society could not survive such a radical change immediately. There will be slow but certain change as society adapts.”

“But there will be change?”

“Patron Miller guarantees it, Johnathyn.”

* * * *** * * * *** * * *

Actually, I wanted to go with Beckwith and Minerva to her home to make sure her father didn’t make any trouble but I might have lost my temper and no one would have wanted that. The bastard had already pissed me off. Instead, I waited at her home with Lee and Dierdra.

A young man came by with a badly cut hand. He’d almost taken off his thumb, cutting some ligaments. We had brought the laptop with us so I took a look at the diagrams illustrating the hand and all its systems. I had him fixed and ready to go just as Beckwith returned.

“Minerva is safe. Her father was as you described, down to the scar.”

She inspected my work on the thumb then shooed the man out, telling him to come back tomorrow so that she could make sure everything was healing well. She locked her door after he left.

“What are you?” she asks.

“I’m a Seventy Seven.”

“That is impossible! There are no Seventy Sevens left, if there ever were any to begin with.”

“Besides Opulessa, you mean.”

“Opulessa!” she spat. “She is the reason that our sisters were hunted down and killed, that we must stay hidden today.”

“Not a fan, I take it?”

“Fan?”

“It is of no consequence,” says Dierdra. “Alexia is what she says. I have seen what she can do. Could you have mended Minerva’s arm or that boy’s hand?”

Beckwith is surly. “Not as quickly.”

“Or as completely. She has mended broken backs and cured Black Lung.”

“Black Lung cannot be cured!”

“She did.” Dierdra then points to Leeanna. “That girl was on the edge of death from Woodland Adder bites a few days ago. Look at her now.”

Leeanna stands and curtseys, then spins, her skirt flaring out around her.

“It’s true. Three snakes attacked me but Alexia saved my life. She is the greatest Healer in the world.”

“Humphf.” Beckwith snorts. “Why are you here, Dierdra?”

“We are going to Glory … to depose the Queen.”

“She is not my Queen!” Beckwith declares.

Ahhhh, another potential ally. “So you would not mind it if she was gone?”

“I would not. I am from the Northern Provinces. Opulessa’s people are not as strong out there. More of us witches survived her goon squads because the people protected us, hid us. We took care of their ills.”

“Are all witches Healers?”

“No, nor are all Healers witches. Some of us have the talent, as apparently do you.”

“I have knowledge. I was not healing until a few days ago. Leeanna was attacked and I had no choice. I either tried or she died.”

She looks at me with disbelief. “You mended Minerva’s arm with no more experience than that?!”

“I told you” says Dierdra, “she is a Seventy Seven.”

“A Seventy Seven could not have survived the purge, not even in the farthest reaches of the North.”

“Hey, you want to look a gift horse in the mouth, that’s fine by me but I say use what ya’ got.”

“A gift what?”

“I believe Alexia means that, regardless as to how she is here, she is here, now, ready to help us.”

“What Dierdra said. I think that the men have been in charge for too long. It’s time for a little guurrrlll power.”

Beckwith glances back and forth between Dierdra and me, curiosity fighting with self-preservation. Curiosity won.

“What do you have in mind?”

“The men have their plan. I think it’s time we came up with a plan of our own. How many witches do you two know? I don’t want names right now, just numbers.”

Self-preservation rears its head again but this time it’s beaten back by self-interest. Dierdra and Beckwith huddle for a moment or two, counting heads.

“Twelve,” says Dierdra.

“How many within two weeks ride?”

“Eight, maybe nine.”

“Would any of them know of other witches?”

“That is likely,” Beckwith answers.

“And how many of them would be willing to join our little feminist revolution?”

“If I understand your question, most all of them.”

“Good. Either of you ever heard of a coven?”

CHAPTER TWELVE

Pegues has no intention of changing anything, other than whose palm is being crossed by the Consortium. What he says now is not what he said when we first met, when I pledged my loyalty to our cause. Then he said that he was concerned about the plight of the poor, of the children, of the women. He was appalled by Debt Labor and that, if we overthrew Opulessa and the First Minister, the new government would set things right.

Now I no longer believe him. Alexia’s skills as a Healer, her knowledge, could make an enormous difference in our world, yet he gives them no weight. He calls Alexia an abomination, yet it is he who tricked her into coming to our world. He seems to blame her as much as the Consortium and Opulessa for the ills of our world, yet the Consortium has been here for less than ten years. We have treated women as inferior for centuries before that. Debt labor has been an institution for decades before the Consortium’s arrival. Alexia is being used, as am I.

Perhaps Alexia is right; there may be merit in this anarchy of which she speaks. No government, the rights of the individual above all. I have much to consider before we arrive at Glory.

* * * *** * * * *** * * *

They had never heard of a coven. And they call themselves witches?

Beckwith had one other person she wanted me to see before returning to our rooms at the inn. An older woman, at least old for this world. She’s nearly sixty and blind. I agreed. If Johnathyn gets finished before we get back, it’s his tough luck. He should have thought about that before insisting I not go with him to the bar.

I wonder if this world has strip clubs. What world with men and women in it wouldn’t have strip cubs? Age old story.

When we reach Beckwith’s patient, she answers the door when we knock and lets us in. The way she maneuvers around her home, you wouldn’t know that she was blind. She moves from spot to spot, dodging chairs and tables, opening cabinets, removing cups and saucers. She insists on making us all tea, which she does without any help.

The reason for her blindness is obvious. It’s cataracts. Her lenses are practically frosted white. She should be able to tell night from day but that’s about it. After Beckwith introduces us, we all sit down and I take a look at her eyes. Except for the lenses, everything looks fine. The problem is, the cure for cataracts are new lenses, which I don’t have and don’t know how to make. In my world, it would be routine eye surgery, but here it’s impossible.

I pull Dierdra and Beckwith aside after my examination and explain the situation.

“So, you cannot mend her eyes?” asks Beckwith.

“Not permanently. Lenses get cloudy over time, it’s nature. I don’t know how exactly it was done and don’t know how to reverse it. I can force them clear but it won’t last, I haven’t fixed anything. As soon as I stop concentrating, they’ll go right back to the way they were. It’s just like the cup in midair. Remove the magic, it falls down, breaking.”

“What are you talking …”

Dierdra breaks in. “I understand. I assume that this is uncomfortable for you. Do you wish for me to explain it to Galinda?”

“No. If I’m gonna take the credit, I gotta take the blame, too.”

I go over to where Galinda is sitting and kneel down next to her chair. “I’m sorry, Ma’am, I can’t fix your eyes. I don’t know how. Anything I did wouldn’t last for very long.”

She reaches over, touching my face. “I understand, child. Just a foolish wish from an old woman, nothing more. I have had a good life. I had hoped to see the faces of the grandchildren I have held these many years before I died.”

Oh Crap! Now what? I can’t just leave her, not after that. I close my eyes and return to her eyes. It is dark, murky, like sun shinning through heavy curtains. Concentrating, I visualize clear, bright lenses, then waive my hand. Instantly, the air around me brightens. I hear Galinda gasp. Returning to the room, I see her happy smile and brilliant blue eyes.

“I’ll hold it as long as I can but there are no guarantees. We have to leave in a day. That is all I can give you.”

She pulls my head towards her, kissing my forehead.

“It will be enough.”

* * * *** * * * *** * * *

It was late when we returned to the inn. Johnathyn was already there, waiting for us. I think he was worried but tried not to show it. Probably still a little shook up about Leeanna and the snakes.

I know it still haunted me. A damn close call. I had suggested on the walk back that Lee stay in Dierdra’s room tonight. I knew that I wasn’t going to get any sleep tonight and didn’t want to keep her up. Dierdra offered to stay up with me but I knew that she was tired too. Lee didn’t want to leave me but agreed when I explained why, though she initially wanted to help me stay awake.

“Look, someone around here needs to get some sleep. I can’t but both of you can. I may need help staying awake tomorrow. You two get what rest you can and we’ll see what happens.”

Leeanna reluctantly agrees but insists on giving me a good night kiss on the cheek before going to Dierdra’s room, leaving Johnathyn and me alone.

“This is a fine thing you are doing for the old woman.”

“I didn’t really have a choice.”

“You had a choice. You could have walked away.”

“You wouldn’t say that if you had heard her. It’s no big deal. I just have to stay awake.”

“Can I help?”

“No, that’s okay. I’ve pulled a few all nighters in my time. You get some sleep.”

“I will stay up with you.”

“Johnathyn, you don’t have to do that, I can manage.”

“It will be easier with two.”

“It’s really not necessary. I’m perfectly capable of …”

“Please, Alexia, you do so much. Allow me to do this small thing for you. I can never pay what I owe you.”

“Johnathyn, you don’t owe me anything. I did what I did for Leeanna. It was my fault she was hurt in the first place.”

“Our fault. You may say I owe nothing but your generosity does not wipe away my debt.” He sits down next to me. “What can we do to make certain that you do not fall asleep?”

“Well, I don’t know if you’re up to it or not.”

“I can assure you, I am ‘up’ for anything.”

“Okay, I warned you. Ever heard of Gin Rummy?”

* * * *** * * * *** * * *

Johnathyn picked the game up quickly. I had a pack of cards in my backpack. Apparently this world also has card games but the deck is nothing like ours. Still, Johnathyn got the jist of the game and we were off and running. After the twentieth hand or so, I ask him how his meeting went.

“I was … a good meeting.”

“You don’t sound happy.”

“I have concerns.”

“About what?”

He doesn’t answer right away, just keeps playing. I don’t push him, we’ve got the time.

“Alexia, do you regret coming to my world?”

“No, I guess not. It’s been an adventure, that’s for sure. I always thought of myself as a city kid but this world is so beautiful. It must look great in the spring and summer. I’ve seen things that are amazing. And, of course I’ve met you and Lee and Dierdra.”

“And Miran Pegues.”

“He’s a mixed bag.”

“Do you trust him?”

“Good question. I don’t really know. He hasn’t lied to me yet … well he did to get me to jump through that hole but I might have come anyway if he’d told me about the people killing my brother and mother up front.”

“Is vengeance still your objective?”

Now I don’t answer right away. What do I tell Johnathyn? Can HE be trusted? What’s with all the questions?

“Yeah, why not?”

“You don’t behave like a man looking for vengeance, at least not solely for vengeance.”

“What do you mean?”

“You did not need to save Leeanna.”

“Don’t say that! You know I did. She wouldn’t have been there if we hadn’t … you know.”

“Perhaps you are right, but you did not need to help those other people.”

“What kind of person would I be if I didn’t? It didn’t cost me a thing to do any of that.”

“And you have spent most of today doing the same thing. You are losing a night’s sleep to help a woman you had not met before today.”

“It’s good practice for me, sharpening my skills.”

“Skills that Pegues has no interest in.”

“How do you know that?”

“He was the man I met today. He was impressed with what you did to the two guards. Your good deeds were of no interest.”

“Is that a surprise? He’s already said why he brought me here. It’s not to open a hospital.”

“True, but promises have been made as to what happens after we win, promises that I am afraid he is no longer committed to.”

“Assuming we win.”

“I have confidence in your abilities and the righteousness of our cause. We will prevail.”

He is a true believer. Every movement needs them and uses them, usually as cannon fodder.

“So what is Pegues’ big plan?”

“He refused to tell me. He claimed that I only needed to know my part at this time, that the rest would be revealed.”

“That’s a good guerilla organization.”

“What is go-rilla organization?”

“A large group is broken into smaller groups, each with a separate assignment. If you’ve got enough people, they might have several groups with the same assignment, just in case one or more get caught. That way, if you get caught, you can only betray those in your small group but not the entire organization. Only a few people at the top know the entire plan and how all the pieces fit together and even they may not know the names of the entire group. It’s a classic insurgent organizational structure.”

“Why would you betray the members of your group? Are they not your comrades?”

“Yeah, they are but governments usually have a way to make you talk, particularly if the one at the top is a witch.”

“I would not talk if captured.”

Looking at him, the square jaw, the steely eyes, his good heart, I’d almost believe it but I know the lengths they would go to break him.

“What about Leeanna?”

“What about her?”

“Would you stand by while they abused her, beat her, raped her while you watched? Would you still refuse to betray your friends?”

“Why would they do such things?! She is an innocent girl!”

“Governments don’t care. They do what they think is necessary to get what they want, no matter who is hurt. Large groups of people can do things no single person would ever consider, things that individual members of the group might not agree with but they tolerate it because they can hide within the group. Spreading the guilt so thin that they can live with it. Or ignore it. They would use your love for your daughter against you.”

“What would you do, Alexia? Would you sacrifice Leeanna to protect your people?”

“I don’t know. If it was a mater of total success or failure … I don’t know.”

“You would not. I have watched you two together. You would not. Nor would I. Perhaps you have been right all along.”

“About what?”

“About Anarchy being the best system. No governments, only people.”

I chuckle, though it sounds more like a giggle. Damn! “And here I was just about to admit that you were right all along.”

“Me?!”

“Yeah, you. This world needs too much for any single person to provide. Something has to be done to improve everyone’s lives, not just women but everyone. Health care is a joke! The educational system is nonexistent! You can only fix them if people get organized and that means government. It’s also the only way women will ever get treated equally. Men won’t volunteer to give up the advantages, the control that they have taken from women. I don’t know what Pegues promised you would happen, but I’m way too cynical to believe that a bunch of men from this world are just going to even try to change things to help women, not men who have spent their entire lives benefiting from that system.”

“What about me, Alexia? Aren’t I in that group of men?”

“Yes, but you have empathy. I didn’t see a lot of that in Pegues. You have a daughter who you love and want to protect. You’ll do the right thing for her sake. Hopefully, there are more like you than him. It’ll make this easier.”

“It will make what easier?”

I knew it would come down to this eventually. I don’t want to do this without Johnathyn. If he won’t support it, it’s probably doomed to fail. If he does support it, we can still fail but I’ll feel like it was worth it to try.

“What would you say, Johnathyn, if I told you that I was working on my own plan?”

“To do what?”

“To do what I said. Improve heath care, education and get equality for women.”

“How would you do that?”

“Let’s just say that it’s a work in progress. The main thing is that it’s going to shake up who’s sitting at the top of the government.”

“What about Opulessa?”

“I’m not sure about that yet. I may want to give her the chance to join us. I don’t want to fight any more people than I have to.”

“You may not have a choice, Alexia.”

“I’d rather it be her choice than mine. If it comes to that, so be it.”

“And if I do not support you?”

I study his face carefully, trying to pick up some kind of hint as to which way he’s leaning or if he’s leaning at all but I get nothing from him. If he says no, what will I do? He could promise to keep his mouth shut even if he isn’t on board and I believe that he’d do it but is that enough? What does my gut say? My heart?

“Johnathyn … if you won’t support me … then I’m done. I’ll take the first chance I get to return to my world and put all of this behind me. If I can’t go home, then I’ll head north and do what I can to fix this world. Maybe I’m wrong and Pegues and his crowd have the best of intentions but they’ll have to prove it to me if they want my help. Vengeance isn’t enough anymore. I want change for the good of everyone. If their plan does that, then I’m in. If not, then I want to have one of my own ready to go. So … are you in …or out?”

He reaches out and gently takes my right hand in his, engulfing it. “We are not worthy of your generosity, Alexia.”

“Uhhh, okay. Is that in or out?”

He brings my hand to his lips and kisses it.

“In. All the way.”

* * * *** * * * *** * * *

I make it through the night and all the next morning. Johnathyn says we need to leave in two cycles if we are to keep on schedule.

Men and their schedules.

I know he’s right but I’d like to give Galinda as much time as possible. As the deadline for our departure nears, Dierdra and Beckwith come round to the back of the wagon as we pack up. I don’t know if I’ve ever been so mentally tired in my life.

“How are you, Alexia?” Dierdra asks.

“I don’t know how Opulessa does it. I could never relax for a minute…sorry, decicycle.”

“She has had over two hundred years of practice,” says Beckwith. “This was your first attempt, at which you succeeded.”

“I wish it could have been longer.”

Dierdra looks toward the front of the wagon. “It may have been long enough. I see
Galinda and what I assume are her family.”

“Where?”

“Coming this way.”

“God, I hope everything is okay.”

“They appear to be smiling,” notes Beckwith.

We all three walk to the front to meet the approaching group of about a dozen people. Galinda is in the front, being helped by a young boy and girl, one on each side, supporting her arms. Most of them stop when they get close but Galinda and the two kids keep walking until they’re right in front of me.

“How are you feeling? Is everything alright?” I ask.

“Everything is wonderful,” Galinda answers. “I saw the sun set last night and the sun rise this morning, both were glorious. This is my grandson, Lohan …” the boy bows deeply, “… and my granddaughter, Lucinda.” The girl blushes and then curtsies, finishing with a smile and a giggle. Galinda turns and sweeps her hand across the front of the crowd. “These are the rest of my family. My sons and daughter, their wives and husband. They have all come with me today to do you honor.”

“It isn’t necessary. What I did was only temporary. I couldn’t do any real good for you.”

“You are wrong. It was a great gift, one I never will forget.”

“Look, I don’t know what kind of range I’ve got but I can try to hold on as long as possible as we leave. It might buy you another cycle or two.”

“No. Your offer is generous but it is time. I have seen all that I desired and will cherish the memories. You could grant me one last request.”

“Sure, if I can.”

“I wish that the last thing I see is your beautiful face.”

“You can’t mean that. You’ve got your family, your grandchildren. You don’t even know me.”

“I know you. In here …” she touches her chest “… I know you well. I felt your presence when we met, when you tried to mend my tired, old eyes. Please, grant me my request.”

“Fine, if that’s what you want.” I step in front of Galinda, her face looking up into mine. “Are you ready?” She smiles and nods. I take a deep breath and relax my mind for the first time in what feels like days. Her eyes slowly return to their frosty gray color, but she still smiles up at me.

“Thank you, Alexia. My Queen.”

The rest of her family bows or curtsies. “My Queen!” they all say in unison.

“Wait, wait, no. I’m not anybody’s …” Dierdra steps up from behind me, lightly resting her hand on my shoulder as she leans near my ear.

“Accept this,” she whispers. “With grace.”

What the hell do I do now? Looking from one expectant face to the other, waiting for my response.

“I … uhh … I … thank you for the honor … ahh … you … bestow on me … today … and pray that … ahh … I am worthy of your trust.” I bow slightly towards them. “Thank you, one and all.”

“Nicely done,” Dierdra whispers as she backs away.

“If we may have your leave to return to our homes, your Majesty?” asks Galinda.

“Sure. You got it. Thanks for coming. All of you. Thanks a lot.”

Smooth. Real smooth. They all turn and walk away, smiling and talking among themselves, the two kids leading Galinda.

I turn and look back at Dierdra and Beckwith.

“What the hell was that?”

“You best get used to it,” answers Dierdra. “If we prevail, you will be the new Queen.”

“Not my Queen!” Beckwith spat.

“What she said. Ladies, I’m not staying once we’re done. I have a world to return to.”

“And who awaits you in that world?” Dierdra asks.

“Well, no one actually, but it’s my world. Besides, there are people there who still need to pay for killing my family.”

Dierdra smiles and pats my shoulder. “One step at a time, my Queen.”

“Cut that out!”

* * * *** * * * *** * * *

Alexia fell asleep almost as soon as our wagon began to roll out of Sweetwater. We had talked throughout the night but I did sleep now and then. She had no rest and actually struggled to keep awake. Now, she is wrapped in blankets, a large pillow behind her head and a smile on her face as she lightly snores.

We all tell her that she snores but she refuses to believe it, claiming she didn’t do it in her world and there is no reason that she would in this world. I do not understand why it upsets her so. I find it … appealing. Leeanna sits next to her, sharing the blanket, while she uses Alexia’s kom-pu-ter. With her permission, of course. Dierdra shares my bench as we roll through the countryside. The day is bright and warmer than usual for this time of year.

“It is a warm day,” I say.

“That it is,” she replies. “We have had several warm days this winter.”

“True. Perhaps Spring will be early.”

“We shall see.”

We ride on in silence for a league or so.

“How is Alexia feeling?” I ask.

“Did you not ask her yourself?”

“I did and she said she was fine but I am afraid that she would try to spare me worry and not be completely truthful.”

“But she would be honest with me?”

“You are her friend.”

“And you are her husband.”

I briefly laugh. “In name only.”

“In all ways but one, you are husband and wife. I have seen how you act towards one another and how you both act towards Leeanna. You treat each other with respect and understanding. You both love Leeanna and would sacrifice for her but will not tolerate her disobedience. I know many couples who would admire your relationship.”

“We are not married. It is a simple disguise, a fraud. You know that.”

“I know what I see and hear. You and she are husband and wife.”

“Be serious. We argue often.”

“As you should. It is because you care for each other, respect each other. If you did not, why fight? It is what comes after the fight that you and she are missing. My husband and I argued often during the day ...” she looked back to see if Leeanna was listening. She was, as usual. “but we resolved our differences at night. With great enthusiasm. You and Alexia should try that sometime. Or perhaps you already have. Neither of you have spoken about what happened while you were alone at the Miryian Waters.”

I glance back at Leeanna. She has her face blocked by the kom-put-er but I know that she’s listening.

“Nothing happened at the Miryian Waters … at least not the kind of thing you are talking about … not exactly the kind of thing you were talking about … I mean nobody actually touched anything. Not really.”

“Then I would say that you two missed a golden opportunity. Let me know if you would like another opportunity.”

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Patron Miller had asked me to meet with him at his home this evening. His messenger declined to give me any details but it had to be an update on the progress of our witch. When I arrived, there were two other horses tethered outside. One, a large gray, I recognized as belonging to Bickle Rholls. The other was a slender roan I was not familiar with.

Miller’s servant wench shows me into his office after taking my cloak. Miller is sitting behind his desk, Rholls on his left and a third man on his right, leaving a chair between them empty for me.

Miller motions with his hand. “Have a seat, Schicalli.”

“Thank you, Patron.”

“You know Bickle Rholls, of course. This other gentleman shall remain unnamed for now.”

“As you wish, Patron.”

“Yes, it is for the best. I have received another message from Pegues. It seems that our witch has made some progress. If he is to be believed, she killed a man half a league away.”

“Half a league?! Amazing! Why would she do that?”

“Two local Queen’s Guards crossed her. The first died only a few feet away from her but the other managed to escape on his horse but she reached out and cut off his head when he was more than half a league distant. Very impressive. Have you ever heard of Opulessa doing anything like that, Schicalli?”

“No Patron, I have not, though it is my understanding that she prefers to look her victims in the eye when she strikes. That does not mean she can’t.”

“Quite true, but this may change our plans. We may not need to invade the Palace if our witch can reach in and kill Dupree and his people from the outside. Everything becomes much simpler.”

“Assuming Pegues is not being overly optimistic.”

“He knows what will happen to him if I catch him lying to me. He is likely telling the truth.”

Patron Miller does not tolerate deception. We are all aware of it but that does not prevent us from shading the truth now and then.

“Granted, but that does not mean she can penetrate Opulessa’s protections.”

“Regardless,” says Rholls, “we must explore the possibilities.”

Miller nods his head. “Bickle is correct.”

“Does this change my assignment, Patron?” I ask.

“No, Schicalli. You are still responsible for obtaining other world weapons for our people should we need to invade. Do not commit any assets or resources until we are certain it will be necessary. I would prefer not to attack local Guard posts to steal their weapons to arm our people. It would attract too much attention.”

“Better the Guard posts than the Winthrop Group compound, Patron.”

“Let us wait and see what our witch can actually do before taking any action, Schicalli.”

“It may delay our action against the Queen.”

“Continue making your plans in case we need them.”

I nod my head towards him. “As you wish, Patron. Is there anything else?”

“No, Schicalli, nothing you need to deal with.”

“May I ask when Pegues and his witch are expected to arrive?”

Miller stares at me for a moment before answering. “I am not certain, though it should be in the next three or four weeks. Weather permitting.”

“It has been warmer recently, good traveling weather.”

“Or it makes the roads muddier,” says Rholls.

Why is he here? What are his responsibilities in this plan? Who is the third, silent man sitting next to me? I have much to discover yet. I stand up.

“If there is nothing else, Patron, I will return home.”

He dismisses me with a wave of his hand. I bow slightly, first to him, then Rholls and finally the unknown third man, who acknowledges me with a small nod of his head and a thin smile.

Miller’s wench is waiting for me at the door, my cloak in her hands. I quickly don it and stroll to my horse. Best to appear unconcerned and casual. After mounting and settling into the saddle, I ride off at a normal pace. There is no need to hurry. The messenger pigeon to First Minister Dupree won’t fly until morning anyway.

* * * *** * * * *** * * *

We had stopped at a little one horse town yesterday and Johnathyn did his thing. The man is a true artist. I sometimes wonder what he could have accomplished if he had been born in my world. Then he would have been a she. What would Johnathyn look like as a woman? That kind of boggles the mind. When I look at my reflection, I can see a familiar face, like I was looking at my sister or a combination of my male self and old pictures of my mother though not at all like Terri, which I guess is sort of odd.

Another odd thing was that a woman was waiting for Dierdra when we got to town. She wanted to talk with her without me. I wasn’t happy about it but, apparently, the woman was nervous about being around me. They spoke briefly, embraced and the other woman left. Dierdra walked back to the wagon.

“What was that about?” I asked.

“Good news. It seems that we may have more women than I first thought. Friends of friends of friends. Word has spread.”

“We don’t want the word to spread too far. We’ve still got security to worry about.”

“No one understands that better than these women. They have been hunted for most of their lives. Their suspicion is that this is some kind of plot to trap them. That so many are willing to step forward shows how desperate they are for a normal life.”

“I hope they know that I’m not promising anything, other that I won’t hang them out to dry.”

“If you mean that you won’t abandon them to their fates, I believe they understand that. They are willing to step out of the shadows in order to find out what you have to offer. They are not making any promises either.”

“That’s fair. Why didn’t she want to see me? There isn’t a problem of some kind, is there?”

“No, she just did not feel she was dressed well enough to meet a Queen.”

“Awww crap!”

Dierdra smiles and pats my arm. “I warned you that you best get used to it. All we needed was a leader. Like it or not, that is what you are. It is up to us not to disappoint them.”

* * * *** * * * *** * * *

The two extra outriders on my trip to the Palace should have been the tip off. That and the additional guard escorting me to the First Minister’s office. When I got there, Dilgar hurried me into the office without the formal announcement of my arrival.

That I noticed.

Colonel Willis was already there and he was in deep discussion with Dupree as I entered the room. Their conversation stopped almost immediately but not quite. I caught the last part of what was likely a long string of imaginative curses by Colonel Willis. One of his trademarks.

Dupree greets me. “Good morning, Mr. White.”

“Good morning First Minister. Don’t stop on my account, Colonel Willis.”

He coughs uncomfortably. “I was done.”

I sit down across from Dupree. “Sorry I missed it. I assume the colorful invectives refer to the purpose of this meeting.”

“It does, Mr. White. I was just informing Colonel Willis of the reports from my spy in the rebel group headed by Patron Miller.”

“Patron Miller? That means he’s a Provincial Governor, right?”

“Correct, Mr. White.”

“Why would a Governor head a rebel group?”

“Because the bastard wants to move up the food chain,” says Colonel Willis. “If your system doesn’t have elections, people at the top pretty much stay where they are unless they die or get overthrown. Dupree here looks to be in pretty good health so that just leaves …”

“Rebellion. I see. And you have a spy among his people, First Minister?”

“Several, but my information comes primarily from one in particular, though others provide partial confirmation of portions of his report.”

“Is your man trustworthy?”

“The best that money can buy, Mr. White.”

That’s hardly ideal. An ideologue would be best; they tend to stay loyal on principle. People who sell their loyalty can be bought by the other side. Unfortunately, in this business, you take what you can get.

“What does this spy tell you?”

Dupree attempts to put a reassuring smile on his face. “Nothing we are not prepared to handle.”

Willis pulls a well chewed cigar from his mouth and spits. Disgusting but succinct.

“I take it you disagree, Colonel Willis?”

“They’ve got themselves a witch, one who may endanger the Queen. We can’t allow that, Don. We can’t take that risk.”

Dupree waives his hand dismissively. “Colonel Willis is being too cautious. There is no firm evidence that this witch is anything extraordinary, and even if she is, I’m certain she is no match for the Queen.”

I look over at Willis. He shifts the cigar over to the right side of his mouth.

“I love how he’s so certain when we don’t have reliable intel on damn near anything. It’s all guess work. We may guess wrong. It ain’t worth the risk.”

“What is your recommendation, Colonel?”

“I’d pick up every damn one of the people we know about and start sweating them for information.”

“When you say ‘sweating’ do you mean …”

“I mean whatever it takes.”

“Does that include …”

“Whatever it takes, Mr. White.”

I appreciate enthusiasm but Willis pushes the envelope sometimes.

“What do you propose, First Minister?”

Dupree eyes Willis for a moment, who just ignores him, continuing to chew on that cigar.

“While I’m sure there is merit in Colonel Willis’ suggestions, I have decided that the best option is to let the rebel plan progress but monitor it closely. Once all the members have been identified, then we strike, capturing them all and removing the threat. If we do what Colonel Willis wants, some may escape and the whole process begins again. Next time, we may not be so lucky in obtaining well placed spies.”

“What happens if you lose contact with your spy or he’s discovered?” I ask. “We lose our advantage, possibly at the worst possible time.”

“I’m certain that will not happen, White. We’ve taken all the necessary precautions so far and will continue to do so. We have everything under control.”

“Where’s the witch at?” asks Willis. “Right now. Where is she?”

We both fix our eyes on Dupree. He puts up a brave face.

“We don’t know exactly where she is but we know where she’s going.”

“She’s coming here, to Glory,” says Willis.

“And we’ll know when she arrives.”

“Like hell you will.”

Dupree jumps out of his chair. “I am the First Minister of this land and will not be addressed this way!”

I raise my right hand, elbow high, palm forward. “I’m sure no insult was intended First Minister. Colonel Willis was simply offering his frank opinion. We must be open and honest with one another if we are to succeed. Is that not true?” I kept a straight face throughout that entire speech. Practice makes perfect.

Dupree slowly sits back down. “I agree, Mr. White. Truthfulness is important but protocol must be respected. I am the leader of this world.”

“The Queen is the leader,” says Willis, forcefully.

What is his problem? “There is no reason to argue about local political semantics, Colonel. It isn’t our responsibility or our objective.”

It was Willis’s opportunity to get out of his chair. “It is our responsibility to protect this government and that means to protect the Queen, no matter what the cost!”

Willis is much more intimidating than the First Minister. Not intimidating enough though.

“Colonel Willis, my responsibility is very simple; to keep the flow of resources into our world moving. Nothing more, nothing less. The Consortium has hired The Winthrop Group, your employer, to assist me in this. I determine exactly how this will happen. You DO remember who pays the bills around here, don’t you?”

Willis sits just as slowly as Dupree did. “No, I haven’t forgotten. Mr. White.”

“Good. As we are guests in this world, we will follow the recommendations of First Minister Dupree.” For now. “We have no intention of getting involved in local politics.” For now. “Our only concern is that our business relationship remains unaffected.”

For now.

* * * *** * * * *** * * *

If White thinks I’m going to stand by and wait while that pinhead Dupree risks my Queen’s life, he hasn’t read my file. I do what needs to be done. Anyone can see what the most important thing is here. The first step is to make sure she knows exactly what is going on and then to do what she tells me to do.

Once I get back to my office, I check the duty list, then page Captain Taylor. He’s in charge of the Queen’s protection team today.

“Yes, Sir.”

“Taylor, where’s the Queen right now?”

“She’s at the stables.”

“Public or private?”

“Public but heading toward the private.”

Damn! That is the one place in this world that totally freaks me out. It’s what a zoo would look like if you put all the customers and animals in a blender. I understand why the Queen keeps them around but the mind says one thing while the gut says something else. At least she’ll be alone. No one else wants to spend a second in that room.

“I’ll be there in a minute, Taylor.”

“Yes Sir, Colonel.”

I don’t run but walk briskly through the halls and out into the Court Yard, people quickly moving out of my way. Back on Earth, I’d have had to push and shove my way through a crowded hallway, even with my rank. Here, as a man, the people part like the Red Sea in front of me. I don’t know if I can ever go back to the old life.

The Court Yard is oval shaped, about a hundred yards by seventy five, dirt floor but surrounded by a wooden sidewalk so that you can get around when it rains, turning the dirt to mud. There are a lot of flagstones in the dirt but wagons are constantly breaking and dislodging them, plus bringing in more dirt and dropping it in the Court Yard. There’s a bunch of old ladies who spend the entire day sweeping but it doesn’t do a lot of good. The walls surrounding the yard are three to six stories tall, which cuts down on the amount of light available to grow grass.

They’d be better off paving the whole damn thing but that’s not an option. The Consortium can bring some bigger equipment through the new enlarged jump gate but not a dump truck of asphalt or even a small paver. Maybe next year.

The stables are off to my right. There’s one large main door but several smaller stall doors and windows on either side. Two of my troopers are posted at the main door, one at each side, both at attention and very alert, eyeing everyone who crosses in front of them.

Makes me proud!

They both salute briskly as I approach. “Colonel, Sir!” they snap in unison.

“At ease, men. How many of our people inside?”

“Six men, counting Captain Taylor, Sir,” says the trooper on the left.

“How many civilians?”

“The usual group of ten. All regular staff. The Queen wanted to feed some of her … pets.”

To his credit, the trooper managed not to shudder when he said “pets”. I don’t know if I could have pulled that off as well as he did.

“Anybody else in there?”

“Not that we’ve been informed about. Do you want to go in, Sir?”

“Pretty much have too, son. Wish me luck.”

“Yes, Sir.”

The two troopers each grab a door handle, pulling the main doors open. I step through and they slam shut behind me. There is a lot of activity in the stables. People running here and there, leading horses or wiping them down. It is as if they keep busy, they can avoid thinking about what is behind the iron bound door in the far wall, the door where my troops are standing. I stride towards them, taking care where I step. The stable is light and airy. A high ceiling and good air flow, thank God. Stables create the kind of smells you don’t want to build up. All my men come to attention when they see me.

“At ease. What’s the situation, Taylor?”

“The Queen wanted to go in alone. I scouted the area to make sure it was clear before she entered. I volunteered to go with her but she said no.”

“And you did what she told you to do. Good man. Unfortunately, I need to speak with her.”

“Couldn’t it wait, Sir? She prefers to be alone in there.”

“Did she forbid me to enter?”

“No, Sir.”

“I wish she had.”

“I know what you mean, Colonel.” Taylor opens the stout door; it swings noiselessly on well balanced and oiled hinges. I take a quick breath, steel myself and step through.

The area is similar to what is on the other side of the door, though smaller, more intimate. The Queen is standing next to a fenced pen, holding a glistening bucket. My eyes are drawn to her radiance. I couldn’t resist if I wanted to.

“Colonel Willis,” she calls, without looking up, keeping her attention on what is in the pen.

“I am very sorry to disturb you, my Queen, but I’ve been made aware of a situation that may threaten your safety and I had to speak with you about it, immediately.”

“This situation couldn’t wait until later?”

How I wish it could have. “I’m afraid not, my Queen. I don’t have much time. The First Minister may notice my absence before long.”

“I’m certain he likely already knows that you are here. Not much escapes the notice of Dupree. That is why he is still First Minister. That and he keeps me entertained. Come over and stand next to me, Colonel Willis.”

God damn it! I can’t see much from here but now I’ve got no choice. She gave me a direct order. I reluctantly walk over to where she stands, keeping my eyes on her magnificent face.

“What do you think of my pretty little pet, Colonel? Isn’t she precious?”

I force my head to turn towards the pen and look in. There’s a pig lying on its side in the mud, a sow, clearly pregnant. Two parallel rows of prominent nipples running up it’s almost impossibly swollen belly. It looks just like any ordinary pig that you might find on an American farm … except that its head is disturbingly clearly human. Not only human but also a man’s head. The only concession to his pig nature is a small set of curved tusks. Other than that, it’s the head of a pink, over weight, bald man with large, flapping jowls.

It’s all I can do to keep from puking right there.

The Queen reaches into the bucket, pulls out a leafy vegetable of some kind and tosses it right next to the creature’s mouth. It rolls up with great effort, pulls itself forward through the muck and gobbles the greens down, with relish, grunting loudly as it crunches and gulps away.

“That’s my precious!” she coos. “Such a pretty pet! And so fat with little piglets. Yes you are!”

My attention is drawn to the creatures’ eyes, buried deep inside drooping lids and puffy cheeks. There is a light in those eyes that says “I know exactly what I am and what is happening to me.” It causes my spine to curl.

The Queen tosses it another vegetable, which the creature attacks with the same vigor.

“We must keep you fat and well fed, my pet. You’ll need all that fresh milk to nourish those hungry babies of yours. You’re such a fine breeder. Always lots and lots of piglets. Such a good mother too. Nothing’s too good for her babies. She’ll care and nurture them until they’re weaned. Then we bring her big stud back and start all over again, don’t we? But I don’t let you get pregnant right away, do I, my pet? You so enjoy rutting with that big boar. You get months and months of it, several times a day before I finally relent and allow you to become pregnant again. I can’t resist those delicious children of yours. So tender, so moist. Such a treat!”

She throws another couple of greens into the pen, this time not so close to the creature. It looks at her for just a second or two before turning and waddling with great effort towards its meal. In those few seconds, I swear that I saw tears in those hooded eyes. The Queen turns her bright face to mine.

“You have not answered my question Colonel. What do you think of my pet?”

“She … ahh … it is … very unusual … I’ve never seen anything … like it before.”

Her smile broadens. I am grateful to see it. She must be pleased with my answer.

“She is one of my better ideas. She was First Minister Dupree’s predecessor. He thought that he could keep me locked up in the Palace and control my activities. He had an unfortunate streak of morality that Dupree does not possess, which he tried to impose on me. He was a pig of a man, so I just finished the job. Very simple and direct. We are all happier for it. You should see how she takes to the breeding. Does my heart good. You wanted to talk with me, Colonel Willis?”

It takes a second or two for me to catch the change of subject. “Uh … Yes … Yes, my Queen. I just had a meeting with First Minister Dupree and Mr. White, from The Consortium. They told me about a plan by a rebel group to bring in a powerful witch to challenge you. Apparently, this witch is from …”

“From your world. She’s a Seventy Seven and will be here in a few weeks. I know all about her, Colonel.”

“You do? How do you know this?”

“I have my spies in Dupree’s office and he has his spies among my people.”

“I hope you don’t think I’m a spy, my Queen.”

“You Colonel? No, of course not. It’s clear that you’re strictly a military man, completely trustworthy.”

“I’m happy you think that of me.” For a lot of reasons, one of which has returned to wallowing in the mud a few feet away from me. “I’ve never been comfortable with office politics.”

“Unfortunately, I am. Perhaps it is better to say that I have grown comfortable over these many years, though Dupree is one of the best that I have run across since I became Queen.”

“Then you must know what my recommendations were and that Dupree rejected them, with Mr. White’s support.”

“Yes, I do and I agree with the First Minister.”

“I don’t want to take any risks of any kind with your safety, Queen Opulessa.”

She lightly pats my check. “I should take some of the blame for that, my dear Colonel, but I would not change a thing. The reason that I agree with the First Minister is that this outsider is no threat to me. She is a mere child! I have ruled this land for over two hundred years and am still in my prime! Don’t you think I’m still in my prime, Colonel?”

“Absolutely, my Queen!”

“The girl may have raw talent but she has no experience. I will defeat her easily.”

“You’ll kill her then?”

“No, no, my heavens no. I have much bigger plans for her.”

I look around the stables, wondering what new abomination will join the herd of horror. The Queen notices my wandering eyes.

“Nothing like that, Colonel. I want her intact and unharmed.”

“Why’s that, my Liege?”

“You obviously know very little about witches. The more witches gathering in one location, the more power there is for all of them. The more powerful the witches, the more power there is. I have spent my entire life keeping the other witches on the run, hidden, separated, killing any my men can catch. This girl is different. She is all potential but no skill. I can control her, then her power will be mine.”

“You are already the most powerful, wonderful person in this world, my Queen. Why take the chance?”

She sighs, looking weary for the first time since I first met her. It was only for a second or two though. She is back to her radiant self instantly.

“Despite what you may think, Colonel, I have a hard life. It takes a lot of my power just to maintain everything. After more than two hundred years, I bore easily. There is little new to keep my interest. I have done it all more than once. Or twice. Or a hundred times. The arrival of you and your men has helped these last few years but my life is still difficult.”

“My men and I are glad to be of service. Anything you desire.”

“As you all should be. However, if I can capture the powers of this girl and put them to use, my future is assured. You would want that for me, wouldn’t you, Colonel?”

“Your wish is my command, Queen Opulessa.”

“How perfectly wonderful. And, if it doesn’t work out the way I want it to, I still dispose of a rival and make a new addition to my collection of pets. Colonel Willis, please return to your office and make sure to keep me informed about the First Minister’s plans in the future but be discreet about it. Can you do that little thing for me?”

“Anything you ask of me, I will do.”

“Excellent! As a reward for your loyalty, why don’t you visit me this evening, up in my chambers. We can have a long talk about a number of things. It has been some time since we last … talked.”

“I will be there, my Liege.”

* * * *** * * * *** * * *

Dierdra’s riding shotgun today while Leeanna and I are in the back of the wagon. She’s listening to the MP3 player while the laptop recharges. I’m just watching the scenery slowly roll by. If we weren’t heading to a fight to the death, this wouldn’t be a bad way to live.

New York was always about the rush. Hurry here, hurry there. Do this job, do that job. Run, hide, seek. It never stopped. It rarely even slowed down. I thought that was the way the entire world lived, the only way to live. Coming to this world was a real culture shock. Not just the change in sex but the change of pace. Everything is much slower but more important. There’s time to think, sometimes too much. In New York, I was just responsible for myself and sorta responsible for Mom and Terry. Here, I’m responsible for the fate of a world, including Johnathyn and Leeanna, who feel like family. If I’d had those responsibilities back in New York, I’d be totally freaking out, but here … somehow, I think I can do it. I’m not sure how we’ll get it done but my gut tells me we will, so I’m a hell of a lot calmer than I’ve got any right to be.

Maybe it’s because this is “we” instead of “me”. Back in New York, I was mostly on my own. I didn’t look for help but no one offered, either. Now, I’ve got a team. Johnathyn is a total rock. Dierdra is a close friend and more help is coming. And Leeanna … is giving me a funny look right now. She’s slipped off the headphones and just looking at me, her face kinda scrunched up.

“What’s up, Lee?”

She glances towards the front of the wagon, then scoots closer to me, lowering her head slightly.

“I know,” she whispers.

“What do you know?” I whisper back.

“I know that you love me.”

What brought this on? “Of course I love you. You’re a great kid, Why wouldn’t I?”

“No, I know. I felt it. When those snakes bit me and you saved my life, it was like … you were in my head, like I could feel what you felt. You weren’t going to let me get hurt. You loved me, just like my mother loved me. I could feel it!” Her head dropped a little lower, not looking at me. “I … love you too, Alexia.”

“Look, you don’t have to say that. I’m not your mother. I understand if …”

“No. I must say it because it is true. I am ashamed to admit that I was afraid of you. When those soldiers stopped us and you …”

“I know.”

“I had never seen anything like that. I knew that you were a witch but I guess I did not really know what that actually meant, what you could do by just waiving your hand. I was afraid that you might do that to me.”

“Lee, I’d never do anything like that to you, or your father.”

“I know that now but I didn’t then. Would you please forgive me … Mother?”

“Of course I forgive you. There’s nothing to forgive. You had every right to be afraid. I’m cool with it all, but you don’t have to call me ‘Mother.’”

“What if I want to?”

“If you want to … then I’m cool with that too.”

She hugs me around my waist, letting her head fall onto my chest. I hold her tightly around her shoulders, a warm feeling spreading through me, tears gathering in my eyes. I don’t know how we’re going to handle this when I go back home but, for now, I’m happy.

We keep a firm grip on each other as the wagon rocks back and forth. Eventually, Lee lifts her head off my chest and looks up at me.

“Mother?”

I smile down at her. “Yes, daughter?”

The briefest smile flashes across her face but returns to a serious look.

“Has anyone told you about the great god Zaphod and his wife, Jillian?”

“No. Is it important?”

“I think maybe it is. Zaphod and Jillian were happily married when another goddess named Alexia showed up.”

“Alexia? That’s MY name.”

“I know. You see … that Alexia wasn’t very nice.”

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

I didn’t say anything about it while Dierdra and I fixed supper, with Lee’s help.

I let it ride all during supper and the clean up.

I even let it slide while we were all sitting around the campfire, the sparks climbing high into the cold, clear sky.

I kept quiet until after Leeanna had gone to bed and I was certain that she was asleep. I waited a whole ten decicycles just to make certain.

Then I asked.

“Were either of you ever planning on telling me about Zaphod, Jillian and Alexia?”

Dierdra and Johnathyn pass several guilty glances back and forth before Johnathyn spoke up.

“I told Pegues that he was making a mistake. He should have chosen a different name. Clearly you aren’t what she was.”

“And what exactly was the Goddess Alexia, Johnathyn?”

“She was … aahhhh … a ….uummm … loose woman?”

“If Leeanna’s got it straight, she was a lot more than ‘loose.’”

“What did Leeanna tell you? She is too young to know about things like that!”

“First off, this isn’t about what Leeanna knows, doesn’t know or shouldn’t know, Johnathyn. This is about why neither of you bothered to tell me why I’ve been getting all those funny looks and giggles whenever I introduce myself to someone. Secondly, Lee is a smart kid. They always know more than their parents want them to know. Sometimes what they know is wrong and dangerous but it’s usually just the stuff that they’re going to need to know sooner rather than later any way. Let’s go back to my question, why didn’t either of you say something before today?”

“I thought you knew, Alexia,” says Dierdra.

“You could have asked, just to make sure but you didn’t. Johnathyn, on the other hand, knew I didn’t know. A heads up would have been nice.”

“A ’heads up’?” he innocently asks.

“Don’t play that game with me. You know exactly what I mean!”

“Let us say that I did. It was none of my concern.”

“I’m supposed to be your wife. People have been making fun of me behind my back for months and ‘it was none of your concern’? Thank God we aren’t actually married.”

“Yes. Thank God.”

“And what is THAT supposed to mean?”

“YOU said it. I was just agreeing with you, that’s all. Is it now wrong for me to agree with you?”

He has me there. Doesn’t mean I am going to let it go. “I know what I meant when I said it. What did you mean?”

“Nothing.”

“Nothing? You didn’t have a thought in that big head of yours? Not a single relevant thought? It’s hard to believe that there was nothing there.”

“Yes, there was a thought. I was thinking that you should have red hair instead of black. At least that way people would be warned about your temper.”

“My TEMPER? I think I’ve been pretty damn reasonable after finding out I’ve been the object of derision ever since I was tricked into coming to this world!”

“That is not true, Alexia,” says Dierdra in a calming voice. “No one who knows you thinks less of you because of your name.”

“What about the people I meet in the street? ‘Hello, I’m the blacksmith’s wife. My name is Alexia, just like the great whore in legend and song.’ Oh, apparently there’s also a book. This world doesn’t even have the damn printing press but there are handwritten MANUSCRIPTS about Alexia out there. Be honest, Dierdra. What was the first thing that ran through your mind when you heard my name? Be honest.”

“Do you really want to know?”

“Yeah, I do.”

“I thought that you were beautiful enough to be the legendary Alexia.”

Johnathyn starts to speak but I turn and point at him.

“Don’t you even think about it, buster. My temper. You haven’t SEEN my temper. I might as well be named Adolph Hitler. Of course, you’ve got no idea who that is. No wonder I had so much trouble in Shellcrest. Those drunks probably thought I was out looking for business.” I stand up, pulling my cape tightly around my shoulders. “I’m going out there to cool off my TEMPER. I don’t want to wake Leeanna. Don’t either of you follow me.”

I stomp off, away from the fire, into a field, walking uncounted decileagues, until the fire is a mere matchstick, providing neither heat nor light. I sit on a large, cold rock. My cape is underneath me so it’s not that bad. For now.

I over reacted. I knew it while I was doing it. The person to blame is Pegues. It was his little joke, the bastard. Johnathyn and Dierdra were just convenient targets, though Johnathyn should really have said something. Not right away, maybe, but I thought we had a … relationship of some kind. It’s like someone you see every day was going around with a crooked tie or something in their teeth all the time. You say something out of politeness for God’s sake!

I sit and stew for about twenty decicycles before the cold starts to penetrate the cape and my butt begins to hurt from sitting on the rock. I start to get up but see a small dot of light moving erratically through the field in front of me. Someone, probably Johnathyn, has my flashlight and is looking for me. I could say something but I think I’ll let them stumble around awhile. I spend the next several decicycles watching whoever is looking for me alternate between getting warmer and colder in their search. They fall down at least twice before finally getting close enough that I decide to put an end to it.

“I’m here.”

The light swings quickly my way but I don’t close or shield my eyes, staring straight at the searcher.

“By Zaphod’s beard! You startled me.” It is Johnathyn.

”I told you not to follow me.”

“Dierdra insisted that I come. She said it wasn’t safe out here.”

“For a woman with the name of Alexia?”

“For anyone. We maybe closer to Glory but that doesn’t mean that wolves aren’t hunting for stray cattle or anyone foolish enough to walk away from a warm fire.”

I slide over on the rock, my butt completely numb from the cold. Johnathyn drops down next to me, radiating heat from the exertion of his search. I resist the urge to snuggle close to him. For the warmth.

“We haven’t seen any wolves yet this entire trip.”

“No, but we have heard them.”

That was certainly true. Many nights when we were away from what passes for civilization in this world, we’d here the chorus of howls begin in the evening just as the sun set and they would continue for hours. At first they worried me but neither Johnathyn nor Leeanna reacted at all. I figured that if a young girl wasn’t going to sweat it, I wasn’t going to. Eventually, the howls became background noise, unless they were particularly close or loud.

We sit in silence, the darkness engulfing us. What started as a clear night has gotten blacker as clouds came in, the wind slowly rising, making it feel even colder. The warmth of the fire we left behind calls to me but I’m not going to be the first one to move. Johnathyn shifts his position on the rock slightly and coughs, clearing his throat. “I … should have said something.”

If I was smart, I’d take that and declare victory. I’m not that smart, at least emotionally.

“You’re right. You should have. Why didn’t you?”

“Because we would have ended up just as this, having fought about it when it was not my fault in the first place. Pegues is the one who christened you ‘Alexia’. A perfectly beautiful name, it just has certain history tied to it. It was a natural extension of your own name but again, the history. I’m sure that many do not believe the story anyway but, when it comes to sex …”

“You can’t pass it up. Not when it’s a man and a woman.”

“And looking as you do. If an old toothless hag were named Alexia, there would be the occasional smirk or comment. When the woman is as beautiful as you, very few can resist the thought that you are the embodiment of the goddess, for good or ill. I should have at least warned you but I did not want to upset you either. I could think of no way to do one without the other, so I did nothing.”

“I’ve done worse with women I dated.”

“As have I with Leeantha. She reacted as you did, I should have remembered that.”

“I wouldn’t compare me to your first wife. Quit while you’re ahead. While we’re on a truthfulness binge here, I need to tell you or ask you something, I don’t know which.”

“What is that?”

“Leeanna wants to call me Mother.”

“She should, that is our disguise.”

“No, she really means it. She wants me to be her mother.”

He thinks about it for a while before answering. “What did you tell her?”

“I guess I was caught up in the moment. I said it was okay but I should have asked you first. You’re her father, it’s your call. Come hell or high water, this gig is temporary. We win, I’m going home. We don’t win, I guess we’ve got bigger problems than who calls who what. I just don’t want her to get her feelings all invested in me and then I leave her. It’s not fair to her. I like her, I like her a lot.”

“Do you love her as a mother loves a daughter?”

Do I? She thinks I do. I’ve never had a kid but I love her as much as I did Mom and Terry. I’d do for her what I’d have done for them.

“Yeah, I guess I do.”

“Then how could you leave … her?”

“I’ve got no choice. This isn’t my world, I don’t belong here. I’m the snake in the Garden of Eden. I know too much to stay. The things I could tell you that would completely change your world, they’re uncountable. I could make it a paradise or I could destroy it. Who knows what would happen? I’m not smart enough to guarantee a paradise so everybody, including Leeanna, is better off if I leave this world as soon as the job is done.”

“Does that include me?”

What is he asking? “Everybody includes everybody, Johnathyn. I shouldn’t interfere with the natural development of your world. The Prime Directive.”

“I do not know about this Prime Directive but, if that is so, should you not leave right this very moment?”

“The Prime Directive kicks in as soon as I get the people who killed my family, every one who had a hand in it. After that, the place is yours.”

“I don’t see how that makes any …” he stops talking mid-sentence, just freezing in place. He had left the flashlight on when he sat down but it was pointing up to light the area around the rock we were sitting on. Now he picks it up but shields the beam with his other hand.

“What are you …” I start to ask but he puts his hand gently over my mouth then quickly returns it to the flashlight.

He quietly slides off the rock and squats next to me, unblocking the light. Immediately, dozens of red eyes reflect the light. He swings the light back behind us, more red eyes. He brings it to our right, more eyes, but this time, there is a head and a body.

And teeth. Lots of big, sharp pointed teeth.

“Wolves,” he tensely whispers.

What I saw was not a wolf. I watched “Animal Planet” back home and I know what a wolf looked like. This thing was much bigger, like five and a half foot long in the body and two hundred pounds if it was an ounce. Broad chest, muscled legs, thick neck. It wasn’t long and lean like a wolf. This thing could chew its way through a concrete wall. And he has lots of friends with him.

“Stay behind me,” Johnathyn says.

“Do you have a gun?”

“No.”

“A knife?”

“No.”

“Then you stay behind me.” I jump off the rock. “Where’s the nearest tree?”

He flicked the light to my left then returned it to the gigantic wolf that was only twenty decileagues away, slowly approaching, head down, tongue out, teeth barred but silent except for the breathing.

We need more light. I concentrate on the tree that Johnathyn briefly lit up. I need it to burn … right now! It begins to glow, first light orange, then shifted to red. Its few remaining leaves were curling and popping. Sweat was dripping off my forehead from the effort of my concentration. Suddenly it burst into flames, throwing an intensely bright light around us.

A number of the wolves that had been near the tree were running away towards the shadows. I couldn’t be sure if they were leaving or just regrouping. The rest of the wolves were acting nervous, shying away from the burning tree but not running away either. The really big wolf didn’t flinch, he just kept creeping forward.

“Well done,” says Johnathyn.

“All it does is show us how much trouble we’re in.”

“If you run for the wagon, I’ll follow with a burning branch, that should hold them off until …”

“Until that big son of a bitch decides he’s done playing with us and he bites your arm off.”

“Do you have a better idea?”

“Guess we’ll find out.”

I reach out with my right hand, palm flat, facing the biggest wolf, which is crouching, as if coiling to spring towards us.

“FREEZE!” I shout just as it leaps. I knock it out of the air, dropping it to the ground. It quickly gets back up on all fours but I manage to hold him in place as it struggles against my magic, feet digging and pawing at the ground, no longer silent but growling and snarling. A second wolf sprints past the first but I knock it down too, holding it off. A third, then a fourth wolf attacks but I still hold them off.

“You’re doing it Alexia!” shouts Johnathyn.

“I … I … don’t know … how long I … can … do this.” The strain is getting to me. I’m holding each individual wolf away. As more wolves join in, it only gets worse. I’m up to more than a dozen and even those are fighting me as hard as they can. I can’t keep this up much longer. “Johnathyn … this isn’t going … to work. There’s too many of them.”

“What can I do to help?”

“Get ready to grab on and hold tight. Grab me! Hurry!”

He steps behind me, grabbing my waist with both hands. “Like this?”

“NO! HUG ME! AS TIGHTLY A YOU CAN!”

He puts me in a bear hug. I can hardly breathe.

“Like this?”

“YES! DON’T LET GO, NO MATTER WHAT! WE’RE LEAVING”

“What are you … AAAAUUUGHHH!”

I release all the wolves at once. They stumble forward, uncoordinated, because of the sudden change but they right themselves quickly, leaping at us as we shoot fift5een decileagues into the air … and stay there, hovering out of their reach as they fight each other while jumping up at us.

“IN ZAPHOD’S NAME, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?”

“I couldn’t hold back twenty five of them so I decided to hold up the two of us.”

“HOW ARE YOU DOING THIS?”

“Calm down, Johnathyn.”

‘I AM CALM! WHO SAYS I AM NOT CALM?!”

“My eardrums. You’re shouting into my right ear. Take it easy … please.”

“YES … certainly. I’m sorry. I’ve never done this before.”

“Welcome to the club. Let’s see if I can float us over to the wagon.”

“We can’t! They will follow us back!”

He’s right, they will. I’ve simply climbed a nonexistent tree. We’re still trapped. There’s no other choice now.

“I need to get my right arm free, Johnathyn.”

“So, do it.”

“You’ll need to relax your grip, just a little.”

“Why? What are you going to do now?”

“Kill some wolves.”

“You can do that while keeping us up here?”

“I sure as hell hope so.”

“And if you can’t?”

“We fall from the sky and are wolf kibble.”

Johnathyn doesn’t say anything but he does loosen his hold on my right side enough for me to pull my arm away from my body. “Sometimes Alexia, I do not know when you are making sport.”

“Sometimes I don’t know myself. You may want to close your eyes.”

I flex my fingers then think about a fireball. A dense swirling mass of flame, so hard, so hot that it would instantly immolate anything it contacts. As the image grows in my mind, I begin to feel the heat in my hand. I look over and see it, about the size of a golf ball at the start but it quickly expands to the size of a baseball, then a softball. The brightness causes my eyes to hurt. I can feel both the weight and the increasing intensity. Just as I begin to look for a target, we bobble and slide off to the right, dropping towards the ground. Johnathyn’s grip reflexively tightens, driving most of the air from my chest but he says nothing, beyond a quick gasp. The fireball disappears.

“I got it! I … got it!” I wheeze, struggling to get us back to the level we were as the wolves leap with renewed enthusiasm. It only takes me a few seconds to get us back on an even keel but the sudden drop was still pretty damn scary. A few more feet and one of them might have gotten to us.

Johnathyn takes several deep breaths. “Are you certain that you can …”

“Yeah. I can.”

“Why not simply cut off their heads as you did with the Guard?”

“Have you seen their necks? I’d be hacking forever and we’d drop like a rock. Once started, fire takes care of itself.”

“Then you had best kill that large brute, the one we first saw. He is the leader. If you kill him, the pack may break up.”

“Thanks. I appreciate the help.”

“Best be quick about it.”

Amen to that. I need to split my concentration. I’ll take it slower this time. Opening and closing my hand several times, the heat returns but I don’t look at it. Instead, I search for the Alpha wolf. He’s easy to spot, highlighted by the surging luminance flowing from my hand. While the other wolves throw themselves at us and against each other, snapping and snarling, it just stands there, watching and waiting, occasionally biting other wolves who carelessly run into it.

Clearly not an animal to fuck with.

The area around us gets brighter and brighter as the fireball feeds on my magic. The pack of wolves seems to be thinning out a bit, the ones at the center still raging at us but the ones on the fringe seem to be having second thoughts about the whole “let’s eat the people” thing. The Alpha hasn’t budged. If anything, it looks more determined.

I steal a glance at the fireball. It seems to be just about as big as last time. We’re pretty steady in the air. Now’s as good as time as any.

“You ready?” I ask.

“More than. Do not miss.”

“As if. I played ball in high school.”

I spin us just a little in the air to free up my right arm. It sees the motion, crouching, getting ready to move. This throw is going to be more elbow and wrist than arm. As I bring my arm back, the wolf in front of the Alpha leaps towards us, then the Alpha bounds into the air, pushing off of the first wolf that jumped, giving the Alpha an enormous boost. It’s flying straight towards us, claws outstretched, jaws wide open. I practically stuff the fireball down his throat then twist away as the Alpha explodes into flames, dropping bits of burning hair and flesh on the rest of the pack. They squeal and yelp as they break away, running into the dark woods, some trailing sparks and glowing embers as they slowly fade to nothing, mixing with the deepening shadows.

I take us over to the still burning tree and make a not so smooth landing about twenty decileagues away, dropping us the last few feet. I land on my feet but stumble, ending up on my ass; Johnathyn sprawled, face down, on the ground a few feet away from me.

“Are you okay? I ask him.

He pushes himself up off the ground, getting to his feet, dusting off his pants and shirt as he stands upright.

“I was going to ask you the same thing.” He reaches out, offering me his right hand. I take it and he pulls me to my feet, his left hand wrapping around my waist, pulling me close. “That was a new experience for me.”

“Me too. Before that, all my time in the air was thanks to a plane. Living with me is just one new experience after another.”

“So it would seem.” He reaches down, gently touching my hair, brushing something away. “You appear to have singed wolf hair mixed with your own.”

I look down at my blouse. “Wolf hair and other wolf bits. You do too. I think I need a change of clothes … and a bath.”

“That will wait until morning. There is a stream nearby. I am afraid that I dropped your light.”

“Guess we can find that in the morning too. Unless a wolf ate it. No wonder you don’t have dogs in this world. I wouldn’t trust anything descended from those things.”

He lets go of my waist but keeps hold of my right hand, brushing blackened pieces of wolf off both of us with his left hand. I pick a few of the larger bits off his shoulders and out of his hair.

“Let’s return to the wagon and check on our daughter and Dierdra. I want to be certain they are safe” he said. Our daughter. I think I can live with that. “Should you not do something about that tree, Alexia? We do not want the fire to spread.”

“I’ll take care of it after we get to the wagon. I don’t want to walk back in the dark.”

“Nor do I.”

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

They were late. Two days late! The weather has been fine, an early Spring thaw, so that was no excuse. Tyber may not be particularly bright or imaginative but he has always been punctual. A redeeming quality for that plodding dull type.

The only saving grace is that the bar maids here are very comely. The closer you get to Glory, the greater the surplus of good looking women to chose from. They all stream in from the surrounding farms and little villages, hoping to make their fortunes or marry someone who already has. They are no different than their less attractive sisters but the competition is more intense in the capitol city. The lass who has served me these past two evenings is a blonde beauty. If she were ten years younger, she would easily find employment at one of the better bars in Glory but I would guess that she is well past her twentieth year. She can rule this place for another few years before the inevitable decline in her appearance forces her to work in the kitchen. If she is lucky.

For now, she is the best that “The Silver Forge” has to offer. As is this mug of Klatch I have been nursing through the evening. It is my third and I want to keep my wits sharp should Tyber arrive at this late hour.

Suddenly, there is a small swell in the noise level. It seems to be coming from near the door but it quiets down quickly. A few moments later, the crowd near my table parts as a large cloaked figure makes his way towards me. Tyber. At last.

“By Zaphod’s beard, Johnathyn! I have been waiting these past two days for you to …” He stops just short of the table as a woman steps around from behind him. She too is cloaked. He wouldn’t have brought her with him! He knows that women are forbidden in such a place, unless they work here as bar maids or provide other services. She reaches up and slides the hood off her head.

Alexia!

The fool!

“Tyber!” I hiss. “I told you that you were to come alone! How did you get past the door with her in tow?”

She reaches up and gracefully unties the cord holding the cloak tight to her throat.

“Don’t worry, Miran. Johnathyn can be very persuasive when he wants to.”

“Apparently not persuasive enough to convince you not to commit this folly.”

Tyber removes his cloak, dropping it on the chair next to me. “I did not want to be so persuasive, Pegues.” He reaches down, taking Alexia’s cloak in his hands at her shoulders, sliding it off and away from her, dropping it on top of his own.

“Thank you, Johnathyn.”

“You are welcome, my Wife.”

She is dressed in a simple traveling dress, light blue. She is also wearing a gray leather corset, tightly laced from her slim waist to the open top, her large breasts not spilling from the soft cups but nor are they modestly displayed. Her raven hair tumbles loosely about her head and down past her shoulders. Her dark eyes sparkle and her red lips glisten. She wears no makeup of any kind, unlike the women who work here, yet she is the loveliest woman for a hundred leagues in any direction, including Glory. This is not the girl I brought to this world.

“What have you done to yourself?”

Tyber pulls a chair back and Alexia smoothly settles down into it as he pushes it back towards the table. I saw that happen on the other world, occasionally, but never here.

“I haven’t done anything, other than a quick wash up to get the road dirt off. I convinced Johnathyn to bring me with him tonight. We have some things to discuss.”

“We have nothing to discuss. When you arrive at Glory, you will be told what … oh no.”

The innkeeper is headed our way and he does not look happy. He’s almost as large as Tyber and has had much more experience than he in bar fights. I knew that Alexia’s presence would cause trouble. The crowd quiets down, expecting a show.

“I don’t care which of you poofters brought your whore with you, but I run a respectable place. If’n you tain’t out of here in two shakes, I’ll be tossing you out now and tossing out the whore after we’s done wit her.”

I look over at Johnathyn but he hasn’t moved at all. In fact, he acts as if he never even heard the threat. I wince as Alexia turns in her chair to look up at the towering man.

“We are but weary travelers looking for a bit of food and drink … well, mostly drink, though I wouldn’t object if you have Buffalo Chicken Wings on the menu. I think that crack about ‘whore’ requires an apology, also maybe for ‘poofter’ if I knew what that meant.”

Johnathyn leans in closer to her. “Poofter refers to a man who enjoys sexual relations with other men.”

“Oh well, then definitely, you need to apologize to my husband for that one. Though, I don’t know if it is necessary for Miran. Is it, Miran?”

I don’t get a chance to answer her as the bartender steps between her and Johnathyn.

“Be silent, slattern! If I wish to hear a whore speak, I will beat her until she - uughh!”

His breath catches in his throat as he gasps for air, mouth agape, eyes wide open, face struck with pain.

Alexia just smiles up at him. “I’d like that apology. And some appetizers. On the house.”

The bartender struggles to speak. “You can … suck … my … AAAGGHH!” His knees buckle but he grabs the edge of the table to keep from falling to the floor. By bending over, he brought his face near Alexia’s. She put her right index finger under his chin and moves his head until they are eye to eye.

“An apology. To me. To my Husband. Now. Or lose them. Do you understand?”

He clenches his teeth, fire in his eyes. It looks like he might spit in her face when another wave of agony sweeps through his body. When it passes, he weekly nods his head. She pulls her finger back, releasing his head. He slowly stands up, relief clear on his face.

“My apologies, Sir … and Lady.”

Alexia smiles brightly. “Apologies accepted, my good man. Let us speak no more about it. Please have one of your nice waitresses come over and take our order.”

He waives a hand at the bar maid who had been with me all night and gingerly walks back to the bar, his legs wide, barely lifting his feet off the floor. The older blonde beauty carefully nears the table.

“We will both have a mug of your best Klatch,” orders Johnathyn.

“And please have the bar tender chop up some fruit and add it to mine,” says Alexia.

The bar maid is clearly confused. “Fruit?”

“Yes, anything that’s sweet. About one quarter full of finely chopped fruit. You should try it. Takes the edge right off. Thank you very much.”

The bar maid quickly nods her head and scuttles off. I scan the crowd, trying to gauge their mood. It isn’t good. Alexia chuckles lightly.

“I was crushing his balls pretty good there. He’s a tough son of a bitch. I can respect that. He’s a bigot and he’s wrong but tough.”

“Tyber, what possessed you to bring her into a bar? It can only mean trouble, which means attention, something we cannot afford right now.”

“She insisted, Pegues, and I agreed with her. It is time that we set a few things straight and now is as good a time as any, as is this place.”

Alexia leans towards me. “You see, Miran, I haven’t spent a lot of time in your world but I’m already fed up with the way you men treat women. I’ve decided there are going to be some changes made about that and the sooner your people know my intentions, the better for everyone. Hold that thought, it appears we have more company.”

I look around, there are almost a dozen men, some more in their cups than the others, loosely gathered around our table. One of the less inebriated takes the initiative.

“We don’t know what you did to ol’ Peterwate to get him to back off but you shant do the same to us. When we are done with ye, you’ll know not to disobey your betters. Am I right, men?”

Several men start to shout but just as the cries begin to grow stronger, there is the distinctive sound and then smell of flatulence. The cries fade away as the sound continues on, coming from the first man to speak, who looks thoroughly embarrassed. As soon as he stops, a second standing man begins, as does a third. Then another. And another. It is soon a ghastly chorus, the air fouled almost to the point of sickness. A number of men head for the door but most do not. The first man speaks again.

“What did you do, you …”

His stomach emits a loud low rumble, stretching out for several milicycles. The rumbling spreads to the other men who had gathered around our table. There is a sudden rush towards the waste room but it is too late. One man after another clutches his stomach, bending over in a crouch, overcome by the cramps and then each man … soils himself. The sound is horrific, the grunts and groans, the cries of anguish, the muffled sound of expulsion and finally what comes dribbling down the pants legs, spilling out onto the floor, some more of a flood than a dribble. The smell is as fetid as any I have ever encountered.

Only the men who challenged Alexia were affected directly, the rest are affected by the display and run for the door. Just then, the bar maid returns with their order, setting it on the table with a large smirk on her face. Alexia picks up her mug and takes a long sip, then smacks her lips.

“Very good! My compliments to your bartender. You should really try this. It makes Klatch almost tolerable.”

“I will do so, my Lady.”

“How did you do that?” I ask.

She takes another sip from her mug while Tyber joins her. She sets the drink back on the table. “You stimulate the lower intestines, relax the sphincter a bit and let nature take its course. The fact that most of them were drunk, more or less, helped. Tell your people that we will talk when we get to Glory and then Johnathyn and I will decide if we are going to help you. We will need enforceable guarantees about specific changes or no deal. Make sure they understand that. You ready to go, Johnathyn?”

He upends his mug, draining it. “I am now.” He stands, pulling out her chair for her as she stands. He then drapes her cloak over her shoulders and dons his own. “Careful where you step, Alexia.”

She looks about the floor, wrinkling her nose at the smell. “Good point. Make sure to tip the waitress generously, Miran. I’ll know.” Tyber offers her his arm and she gracefully takes it. They start to walk away but pause, talking together quietly for the briefest moment. Alexia turns and returns to the table.

“Johnathyn reminded me of something. You should have told me the story of Zaphod and Alexia.”

My stomach growls several times. I look down at my waist as I feel the beginnings of cramps. When I look back up, there is a cruel smile on Alexia’s crimson lips.

“You REALLY should have told me, Pegues.”

* * * *** * * * *** * * *

Alexia’s hand rests lightly on my own as we leave “The Silver Forge”, a number of men scattering when we walk out into the street. There are also several smiling women standing together in groups of two and three.

It is amazing how fast word spreads. They nod their heads slightly towards Alexia as we pass, some even briefly curtsey. She smiles and nods in return. We need to get back to our wagon as quickly as possible before any guards show up. If they have heard the entire story, they may be a little slow in responding. Despite our need for haste, I won’t deny Alexia her moment. We move through the town at a slow, dignified pace.

“Are you happy with how it all occurred?”

“Johnathyn, you were perfect. So suave. You handled that chair like a maitre d’.”

“What is that?”

“A professional host.”

“That hardly seems like a job for a man.”

“Don’t knock it. Some of them make good money. I appreciate that you didn’t get up and pound anyone in the bar. I know how those kinds of insults affect you.”

“No man should tolerate his wife being spoken of in such a way, even if she shouldn’t be there in the first place.”

“I know I crossed some lines but someone has to take the first step if there’s ever going to be change. We agreed about that.”

“I remember. We also agreed that I would take no action unless absolutely necessary. I kept my end of the bargain, though it was difficult.”

“Again, I appreciate it, thank you. No one was seriously hurt, just embarrassed.”

“What about Pegues?”

“He’ll probably have to burn those pants.”

“The shoes also.”

“Yeah, maybe that shirt too. Let’s duck behind this building.”

She tightens her grip on my arm, pulling me behind a large building just off the main street. There are no lights in any of the windows. The only illumination is the three quarter moon and stars in the clear sky overhead. She takes my hand firmly in hers.

“Do you think anyone saw us come back here?”

“No. We are alone.”

“Good. Are you ready?”

“Are you certain about this? It seems so … unnatural.”

“Of course it’s unnatural. That’s what makes it so much fun.”

She is correct about that. I think every man has that fantasy at one time or another in their lives. I know I have. “Yes, I am ready.”

“Hang on!”

We float gently up into the air, hand in hand, until the surrounding buildings are far below us then we head west, our speed quickly increasing until the air is loudly rushing past us. Alexia shouts to be heard.

“Our wagon is two days closer to Glory than Pegues knows so we’ve got at least a two day cushion to work on our own plan before we met with him and his people.”

“Will Dierdra’s friends be there on time?” I shout back.

“I don’t know. We’ll go with what we’ve got and work the others in as they arrive.”

“How long before we reach the wagon?”

“An hour, maybe less. We could go faster but it’ll get pretty cold if we do. Wind chill.”

It is already very cold. “An hour is good. We can be down in time to get well rested before an early start tomorrow morning.”

She laughs. “Whatever you say, Dear.”

* * * *** * * * *** * * *
Flying is so exhilarating that it takes me several hours to calm down and get to sleep. For some reason, Johnathyn seems to take it all in stride. The man is a rock and then he can be so sensitive when he deals with Leeanna. I’m lucky he’s on my side. Unfortunately, he went to bed and fell right to sleep as soon as we got back. Lee was still up, Dierdra couldn’t get her to stay down and I don’t know how hard she tried. They both wanted to know what happened. I gave Leeanna the cleaned up version and promised the unedited account to Dierdra but she told me that it could wait until morning, she had stayed up mostly to make sure we returned safe and sound. They were all asleep within thirty minutes and I was still jazzed, wide awake.

Which explains why I woke up to the jostling motions of a wagon rolling down a rough road. And a cold breakfast. I sit up, pushing the blankets aside.

“Morning,” says Dierdra.

“How long have we been on the road?”

“Not long.”

“Why didn’t someone wake me?”

“Johnathyn knew you didn’t fall asleep for several hours last night. He thought you might need to sleep as long as you could.”

“That’s a little tough the way this thing bounces around. It could really use a decent set of shocks. I must look terrible.”

“You don’t.”

“How could I not? No sleep, bed head.”

“No, you don’t. I should have recognized it earlier.”

“What are you talking about, Dierdra?”

“The changes were so slight at first and occurred over a long period but yet, in total, so significant.”

“What changes?”

“You’ve changed.”

“Of course I’ve changed. I was a man and now I’m a woman.”

“Since then, since we first met.”

“I don’t understand. You mean the flying thing?”

“The increase in your powers is part of it. The changes have been so slow, a little at a time, but when you look at the whole effect, there is no question.”

“I’m the same today as the first day I got here.”

“Your hair is perfect. None of the bed head that you refer to. It has been perfect each day you have awoken these past two weeks.”

“That’s impossible. It’s just the way I wear it. If I’m working, it’s a pony tail, if not, it’s loose. No big deal.”

“Your hair is dark but lustrous, full and wavy, framing your face just so. A woman’s hair does not do that without much effort but you spend little to no time on your appearance.”

“I never cared a whole lot when I was back on my world. I exercised to keep in shape but that was mostly a health thing. I’d get dressed up and try to look good if I had a date or something, particularly if she was staying over, but that was about it. It just wasn’t that important.”

“And yet you are more beautiful today than the day we met. Much more.”

“I don’t know what to tell you, Dierdra. I think it’s just your imagination.”

“It is more than your hair. Your eyes sparkle, your skin is flawless, your eyelashes are long and thick, your lips plump and red. Life on this world is hard. Pampered women living lives of luxury look as you do but even they are not as beautiful. Your breasts last night were …”

“Whoa whoa whoa, let’s not talk about my breasts, okay? I’m not really comfortable going there.”

“Then why did you wear what you did last night?”

“I wanted every man in that bar to know that a woman was there. I didn’t want anyone to think I was trying to sneak in or go undercover.”

“I would say that you were successful.” She pauses a moment before continuing. “In our world, some people believe that every person has two minds, a light mind and a dark mind.”

“You mean good and evil?”

“No. The light mind is what you are aware of daily. What you think about, how you make decisions, all the things you see and hear and smell and feel. It is how your mind fits the world around you everyday. On the other hand, the dark mind is hidden. Where the light mind would be above the surface of a pool of water, the dark mind is below the surface. It is still there even though you are not aware of it. It is working all the time but you are only responsive to it without knowing it. It is very hard to explain.”

“No, I think I got it. We believe the same thing in my world. We call it the conscious and subconscious. The subconscious can process information in the background without the conscious mind even knowing about it.”

“It would seem that you understand.”

“So what’s the big deal? Everyone’s got it.”

“Yes, but you are a powerful witch, learning to control her powers, exploring exactly what you can do. You are discovering that if you can think it, your magic can do it. But it is not just your light mind that has access to this power. Your dark mind also has access.”

Uh oh. “What exactly are you telling me?”

“That sometimes witches can perform magic without knowing it, or controlling it.”

“Has this happened to you?”

“I can only think of two incidents, and they were very small. But you are a Seventy Seven. What would be small for me could be much more serious for you.”

“Like this thing with my hair? I still don’t buy it. Why would my dark mind mess with my looks when my light mind doesn’t give a damn? It makes no sense.”

“It does if your dark mind knows what you truly wish and desire but your light mind is not ready to face it.”

“And what would that be?”

She nods her heads towards the front of the wagon, where Johnathyn and Leeanna are sitting on the bench, side by side, oblivious to our conversation.

“Leeanna?” I ask. “What’s she got to do with how my hair looks or the size of my … breasts?”

“Not just her, but your family. More specifically, your husband.”

“Johnathyn? That’s ridiculous! You do know that Husband and Wife stuff is just us joking around, right? I mean, sometimes we do it because it’s our cover, but other than that, strictly screwing around.”

“So your light mind says, but your dark mind has other ideas. Your dark mind wants him, wants him to be attracted to you, wants him to mate with you, wants to bear his …”

“Time out! Even if I believed I’d changed … which I don’t … how do you know I did all of this for him? Maybe I’ve got the hots for you? Did you ever consider that?”

“I did, but I prefer men.”

“Well, I prefer women.”

“So you say.”

“Yes, I DO say. Listen Dierdra, I’ll keep an eye out for any unintended magic but I’ve got enough trouble just doing what I want to do without screwing up. I don’t really think my subconscious is giving me a makeover to seduce Johnathyn. That’s just too fucked up. I’d appreciate it if you didn’t mention your theories to him. Our relationship is tough enough as it is, what with me being a woman and all.”

“I will be silent but, eventually, even a man would become aware of the changes. I suspect his dark mind already knows what is happening and is encouraging him to do something about it.”

“Eewwww! That’s gross! That’s all I need! Just keep all of this stuff under your hat, okay? For my sake?”

“As you wish, Alexia.”

* * * *** * * * *** * * *

Patron Miller reluctantly invited me to stay the night after our last group meeting. My horse somehow became lame while in his stable. Likely the nail I drove into his hoof just after I arrived tonight.

I wanted to be here when Pegues’s pigeon arrived. Even if Miller was not forthcoming, I should be able to discover the messages contents, one way or another. He put me up in a room near the back of his home on the ground floor, well away from his living quarters. I’m sure he did so as an insult but it gave me the freedom to examine the rest of the house without disturbing him. The pigeon coop was on the roof of the stables, managed by one of the stable hands, a boy who I discovered was fond of drink. A quick dip into the Patron’s stocks and I had the lads word that he would alert me when the pigeon arrived.

Several decicycles after dawn, the boy knocked on my door as he passed by on the way to deliver the message to Miller. I waited a few moments before approaching his bedroom suite on the second floor then knocked on his door.

“Patron. If I could trouble you for a moment? I believe I have a solution to the problem with my horse.” There is no reply, so I knock again. “Patron? I don’t wish to trouble you. Perhaps I could …”

“Come in, Schicalli.”

I turn the handle and push the door open slowly, sticking my head into the room but averting my eyes just a little so as not to seem too eager.

“Where are you, Patron?”

“Over by the window.”

He’s standing by the window, angling a small note against the light from the still rising sun.

“Is that from Pegues? Is all well?”

He continues to read the note. I take a few steps closer but stop, giving him an opportunity to finish it in privacy. Suddenly, he rolls it up into a small ball, pops it into his mouth, and swallows it!

“PATRON! Is that wise?!”

“The security is absolute! There are only two of us who know the contents of those notes.”

“What if, Zaphod forbid, something should happen to you? We would be at a loss!”

“Pegues would know what to do.”

“He is hardly the man you are, Patron. How far away is he now?”

“Not far. They should be here within the next three days. He seems to be having a bit of trouble with our witch.”

“Then it is best they arrive here soon so that you may apply a stronger hand. I have always doubted Pegues ability to deal with a woman like that.”

“That woman is actually a man despite her appearances. Do not forget that, Schicalli.”

“That is true, Patron, but I have not been impressed with the men I have met from that world. To knowingly allow yourself to become a woman … it is just hard for me to accept. What kind of man does that? Certainly not a real man, such as yourself.”

He nods sagely, accepting my praise. “Also true, Barton. We shall see what is the best use of her once we meet. As for now, you may use one of my horses to return home this morning and return it at our next meeting. Apparently the witch demands to meet all of us before she will agree to help us.”

“Isn’t that risky?”

“Yes, which is why we will not be doing that, though a meeting of some kind will likely be required.”

I bow slightly. “I will return home and await your command. Good day, Patron.”

“Good day, Schicalli.”

I hurry back to the room and pack my bags. The First Minister needs to know that it is time to gather the Queen’s Guard and put an end to this pitiful attempt at revolution.

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Seems Alexia just might know

Seems Alexia just might know that Patron Miller has not produced all the members when their meeting takes place. Wonder what neat thing she will come up with for punishment for the entire group for not doing as she requested. It looks like there might be a possibility that the Queen may be a little wrong in her assumption regarding Alexia's powers. Most interesting meeting indeed when the two of them actually meet face to face.

I am really liking this story.

It would seem that Alexia has a family now, though she refuses to see it. And wheels are turning. While her control of her power gets better and better. I do think the next chapter is going to be very interesting.

Maggie

I wasn't sure that I'd like this story

when it first popped up on the home page, and I was right. I don't like it. I LOVE it!

Your characterizations are spot on and I am more than pleased with the plot itself.

We have a Queen, a powerful magic user, who has become jaded and bored, causing her to commit acts which disgust even her closest advisors. She has no friends, only enemies who fear her power.

We have an organization from Alex's Earth which is only concerned with raping the world of magic and taking it's resources for it's own enrichment. We have both male to females and females to males.

Then we have a formerly male hacker par excellance who has been robbed of his family and his gender by the strange "sea changes" brought on by this magic world's ability to switch one's gender when one enters it.

All in all a cracking tale and I will be anxiously awaiting each succeeding chapter. Thank you for writing it and sharing it with all of us.

Holiday huggles,
Catherine Linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

Up, up and away.

I am really enjoying this tale. The slow evolving of Alexia, in all the different aspects: her confidence, her awareness, as a parent, healer, pilot, leader, the emerging mission, as a queen, mother and the slow blossoming as a wife, is very enjoyable.

Great Posting

littlerocksilver's picture

I especially enjoy the character development. She will never go back, even if she could. She's just beginning to realize how much she's changed. If she does go back, she will definitely return.

Portia

A rare story

like some others mentioned, I was initially unsure if I would like this story, I can honestly say, this is one of the best stories I have ever read here. It is well constructed, with engaging characters and an interesting plot. well done!

After i had finished Severance Pay

i thought at the time that it had to be one of the best stories i had read on this site for a long while, Seems i need to rethink my views now i have read the first few chapters of your latest work Meps , We may only be at the end of chapter15 but so much as happened, Take Alexia for example, For someone who when she was first tricked into coming over was rather less than enthusiastic about her change of gender, She now seem to be embracing it rather more fully, Even now at an early stage of this marvelous story Alexia now seems more of a woman than she ever thought she would be...You cannot help but think that when the time comes to go back to her own Earth, She may well be a little less eager to go ....

Kirri

Tigress by the Tail

I think this coupe is learning that they have a Tigress by the tail. Actually I'm thinking that all the male asses are going to find themselves between a very powerful Queen and a growing stronger by the day Tigress who while lacking experience, she is very intelligent.

Look into the eye of the Dragon and despair! ;)
Hugs
Grover