Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 161

Printer-friendly version

"Only because I recognise suitable habitats, but the vandals who farm these days, with their bloody flail cutters, make it harder and harder." I was on my soapbox. Normally, Agnew would light the blue touchpaper and enjoy the fireworks, but in front of Pippa, the Dean was not going to let that happen.

Easy As Falling Down A Hole.
by: her, that's the one.
part: the latest one

Managing to contact her mother to look after her children for lunch, Pippa agreed to accompany the Dean, Prof Agnew and yours truly, to lunch. Amazingly the Dean agreed to treat us, Tom Agnew nearly fainted. "Thirty bloody years I've known him, first time he's ever paid for anything, I'll bet the university is paying," he mumbled, "Tight as a duck's arse."

We went by taxi to a pub half a mile away, we could have walked there, although the time factor was something which was against us.

The dining room of the pub, was clean and welcoming and I was torn between a jacket potato and a salad, either with Tuna of course. In the end I opted for the salad, Pippa had one too, Dr Andrews had chicken Kiev, and predictably, Agnew had his curry. Maybe biologists are boring?

"Well that was a good morning's work," said the Dean, "you all handled it really well."

"David Attenborough here," Agnew nodded at me, "wants to make a film about bloody tree rats."

"Squirrels?" asked the Dean looking mystified.

"No, her ruddy dormice."

"Why not, could get all of us lots of publicity."

"Haven't you had enough?" I asked, because I had.

"Can't have too much. Do you realise how many prospective students who'd never heard of Portsmouth University before, are now thinking of coming here, especially females."

"They all want to hunt dormice!" winked Agnew, "make fur coats."

"Don't listen to him, Cathy, if it wasn't for Daubenton's bat, he'd probably be working in Tesco." Dean Andrews smirked and Agnew shot him an evil look.

"That sounds interesting," offered Pippa, obviously waiting for more.

Having heard the story before, I tried to put her off. Thankfully, she caught my eye. "So, how many applications will you get from all this?" I asked changing the subject.

"Far too many, but the more we receive the more we can look at getting funding to improve and expand our departments. Sadly, chemistry and physics are the victims, their numbers seem to be falling, which is a pity because we still need those disciplines to help us understand everything else."

"So the dormouse thing has helped then?" asked Pippa.

I nodded, but in mid munch was too polite to say anything. Tom Agnew wasn't. "Yes, I have to admit that Cathy's vermin have helped raise the profile of the department, and the university."

"Yeah, how about we have a rampant dormouse on the university's logo?" I mocked.

"Or someone wearing a dormouse fur coat," countered Agnew.

"Can't they're protected, I mean, even that foreigner in Tring, is protected." I snapped back at him, he loved verbal sparring, it had taken me nearly two years to appreciate it.

"Who's that?" asked Pippa.

"Rothschild," quipped the professor.

"The edible dormouse, Glis glis." I explained, "A different species introduced in about 1902. Native of Italy, it's protected too both here and in Italy, they still eat it there, albeit illegally."

"Introduced by Lord Rothschild, to Tring Park, as Cathy said, about the turn of the last century, apparently they escaped from the house and now occupy the surrounding countryside," added the Dean.

"They're not as interesting as the common ones," I opined.

"Are they common then?" asked Pippa.

"No and getting scarcer," I informed her.

"You seem to be able to find 'em alright," Agnew said to me.

"Only because I recognise suitable habitats, but the vandals who farm these days, with their bloody flail cutters, make it harder and harder." I was on my soapbox. Normally, Agnew would light the blue touchpaper and enjoy the fireworks, but in front of Pippa, the Dean was not going to let that happen.

"I think farming and the effects on wildlife is fascinating, but now is not the time and place to debate it." So saying he closed down the subject and Pippa looked almost disappointed.

"I'm learning such a lot from you three brainboxes, I'm a real townee, wouldn't recognise a dormouse if I fell over it."

"Sounds like you need Cathy to introduce you to Spike," said Agnew chuckling.

"Our show stealer," laughed Andrews.

"I hope they got that bit where she hopped down your blouse on camera." Agnew and Andrews were now laughing enough to draw attention from other tables.

"What?" gasped Pippa, so they recounted my failure as a mouse trainer interspersed with pauses for helpless laughter. I blushed like a toaster and unconsciously felt that the wet patch on my blouse was now dry and stiff.

"The dormouse went down your blouse?" she asked looking at me. I nodded.

"You should sent it to that TV show that uses clips like that, it could win you a couple of hundred," said Pippa.

"I'll bet Dan has already done that," I thought was a reasonable response, still feeling rather warm despite it being winter. This was not helped by my consumption of a glass of Chablis, well I wasn't paying for it.

"I'm thinking that I'll detail someone else to teach that school stuff Cathy, how do you feel about it?"

Relieved was probably the main emotion but I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. "Why do I think there could be an ulterior motive here?"

"You can do some extra tutoring and project work, especially if you're going to be replacing David Attenborough."

"Ooh a real celebrity!" squeaked Pippa, "Just think in a few years time, I'll be able to watch your documentaries and when the titles show, no pun intended," she giggled at her own joke, "I'll be able to say, Lady Catherine Cameron, I know her."

"The acceptable face of dormice," said Agnew, then catching Andrews' eye, the two cracked up again.

"Bah!" I said sounding like a depressed sheep.

"They're only jealous," comforted Pippa.

"Wait till the posters and leaflets go out."

"What!" I gasped, "but we hadn't agreed on that, had we?" Obviously he decided we had. "I'm far from happy about that."

"Sorry Cathy, executive decision."

"You sound like George Bush invading Iraq," I said which I knew would annoy him, we'd both marched in the anti-war demonstration in London.

"Not at all," he shrugged it off, "With the newspapers gobbling up the story, we went ahead using the same photo, to maximise it's impact. You are officially our page three girl."

At this Andrews choked on his wine and sprayed it all over the floor, he began coughing and went very red. This was not helped by my response.

"I see so for the next one, you want Spike and me posing in just bikini bottoms?"

"Good idea, now you're thinking," teased Agnew. Andrews nearly expired and even Pippa choked on her drink.

The taxi back was relatively quiet, I felt sleepy as I always did after drinking at lunchtime. "So are you back to work now?" I asked Agnew.

"I supose I'd better stay this afternoon and see what mess you two have made of my office. Mind you this one makes a mean cup of coffee, better than you." He indicated Pippa then me respectively.

"I don't make you coffee," I said indignantly, I was about to say, I'm a research scientist not a bloody lackey.

When Agnew ended the conversation with, "See, no respect for an old man. Good job you were there," he said patting Pippa on the knee and she wasn't moving it away. Hmmm!

==================================================================

Comments please, let's see how many we can get this time? Or of course you can always send a donation to Erin for her new server.

up
155 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Dormouse Fur Coats?

You'd be sewing forever just to get all the little pieces stitched together! Have to send it off to China and have it done there. 'Course you'd have to bread a few million more of the little rats to make any large coats. Better stick to those other rats. What are they called, oh yea, chinchillas. And they are cuter than dormeeces too.

Looks as if the Prof is just before solving his secretarial situation, hm-m-m-m! (Wiggles eyebrows up and down and knocks ashes from imaginary cigar.)

Karen J.

Down with ego photo sigs!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I like Pippa

I think Pippa is an excellent character, and she is becoming a more real person with each successive episode. She likes and gets on well with Cathy, but I can't remember if she knows about Cathy being TG. If she doesn't, is she likely to throw a wobbly if she finds out? I hope not.

I'm none too happy about Cathy having to have such a public profile. Before long someone is going to do the sums and get an answer that Cathy and most of us would prefer wasn't aired in public—particularly with her SRS due to happen shortly. Why does the tabloid press get so hung up about what they love to call "Sex Change"? We certainly live in more enlightened times than when I was young, but there are still far too many people who get paranoid about folk like us.

Another great episode, Angharad. Now I've had my bed-time story I can go to bed.

Hugs to you, Sis, sleep tight,
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

I'm with Cathy as regards flail cutters.

As sure as night follows day, Autumn bring out the flail cutters and lanes fill up with hedge cuttings, thorns and bloody punctures! A thorn provoked puncture was instrumental in causing my SO to fall off her bike a couple of weeks ago when an overtaking milk tanker forced her onto the grass verge in a narrow lane. Fortunately, no bones broken but she was 'out' for 5 minutes. I think the very young doctor in A&E (young enough to be our granddaughter) wondered what an old lady was doing riding a bike at all lol. Mind you, there's an even older lady in our village who's still racing!!

I like the way Angharad picks up on the comments - replacing Sandy with Tring in double quick time - proves she does read 'em now and again. Somehow I can't stop thinking about Cathy and Spike both posing in bikini bottoms. After all they're both incontinent when provoked.

Geoff

Sorry Angharad, Geoff gets the prize today for the best line

I can't believe you didn't think of it first.

"Somehow I can't stop thinking about Cathy and Spike both posing in bikini bottoms. After all they're both incontinent when provoked."

Surely you can work that into the story. It's too good to pass on.

Woody

161

Your dialog and repartee are so discouraging to the rest of us aspiring writers. Save the dormice. Hurrah!

marie c.

Another great one

I can't believe you have managed 161 of these chapters writing almost daily and you've not written a bad one.Instead of Geoffs idea of having Cathy and spike pose in bikini bottoms together might I recomend depends(diapers for incontinent adults).Keep up the good work.Amy M

Taking the...

...piss?

Comments about someone's incontinence? Now is that taking the piss or what?

I must admit Geoff, you really did take the cake for that one. It conjured up such a picture in my mind's eye that I very nearly fell off the chair. Mind you, I was trying to calculate how many of those little cuties I would need to make me a coat, I'm not a small bloke after all and Geoff's comment caught me off guard!

Bring on the next chapter...

NB

Taking the piss

Nick,

That's one thing I've always wondered. Why do people "Take the piss" or "take a piss"? I've always wanted to leave one myself.

Phrances

Tanking a or taking the...

Well there's a distinct difference between one and the other.

Taking a: This is the one that's pretty much universal. For women it's 99% sitting down, except for the odd one or two who have the ability to do it standing. Nuff said

Taking the: This is a colloquialism. It means to poke fun at in a generally sarcastic manner. Also similar - taking the Mickey, taking the rise.

This is not to be confused with the American slang of pissed, which as I understand means to be upset. The English version of pissed means to be drunk, usually beyond the ability to talk or walk straight, which I very well may be later this evening or early tomorrow morning!

It has to do with the cloth trade

Angharad's picture

Urine was used in the dyeing of cloth, they used to collect it in barrels and it would be shipped by boat to the cloth mills. It had all sorts of euphemisms, but obviously was seen as a undesirable task and thus low status. It stopped when chemical dyes came into being.

Angharad

Angharad

Harris Tweed and Urine

Urine is still used in the weaving of Harris Tweed in the Western Isles off the west coast of Scotland. I am informed that it renders it virtually moth-proof and is also responsible for the slightly strange smell of genuine new hand-woven Harris Tweed.

Gabi
Ever a mine of information on matters Scottish.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Still brilliant

I started on Easy#1 earlier this week, still fun to read 161.
Will she make it to 3000 before I catch up? Wo knows.

Anne Margarete

Not at the speed

Angharad's picture

you're reading them. 190 episodes would take about 220/230 days, about 7 months or so. Glad you're enjoying it.

Angharad