Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2527

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2527
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

After breakfast at which everyone appeared, we did the usual present swapping. Everything was under or beside the tree. David had been invited to breakfast and he arrived with a bag full of presents for everyone. He was delighted when he opened up the laptop, mind you it was quite a nice one.

Once the frenzy was over, I lit the fire and Simon set off to saw some logs, Danielle went with him and promised not to try and lift anything heavy. David had his helpers and once I saw the fire had caught, I nabbed Trish and Livvie and together with Daddy and his dopey spaniel we set off towards the cemetery.

The sun was shining and I looked forward to longer and warmer days, although we’d still have dark mornings for a week or two because of the wobble of the earth’s axis. We heard several robins singing and passed several blackbirds squabbling, presumably over boundaries of territories. Wrapped up with hats and scarves and gloves the girls were warm, only pink noses showing the coldness of the light breeze. I felt wonderful looking at the blueness of the sky and tried to avoid looking near the sun as it was bright and clear and dazzled.

At the grave we collected the old vase and emptied it, washing it out before filling it with water and then clipping the stalks of the flowers, we arranged them in the vase and Daddy placed it on the grave. We stepped back a few yards to give him some space but he called us back and we all held hands in front of the grave. For a moment, a mere split second I saw what looked like a twinkling or sparkling beside the grave. I knew what it was and felt a warmth inside me which raised my spirits. We all said Merry Christmas in our own way and we turned and walked back towards home.

“Did you see her?” asked Trish as she caused me to lag behind a little way.

“I saw something.”

“Oh good, she liked the flowers and so did Nanny Celia and Auntie Catherine.”

“That’s good. Did you see them all?”

“Nah, but Billie said they did.”

“I expect so, c’mon, let’s go and help David and the others.”

“I love my bangles, Mummy,” she jingled them to prove it. “An’ my new coat is ace.” I bought her a Barbour coat and hat—a small fortune, but what she wanted.

All too soon were back at the ranch and Danni was stacking logs in the lounge, where the fire was burning up beautifully. “Aye, ye licht a guid fire, lassie, sae it’s easy tae see whaur ye’ll be gang.”

“I don’t believe in heavens or hells, just what you make of this life, which is all we know we have. For some life is hell, but I do what I can, when I can to help.”

“Aye, we ken a’ aboot it.”

I doubted he knew the half of it, but that might be just as well.

Danni was taking the empty basket out for Si to fill with more logs when she rushed back in, “There’s a copper in the drive,” she hissed to me. I glanced down the driveway and Andy Bond was almost running up it towards the house.

“Looks important,” said Julie slicing cabbage.

“Is your mother there,” he asked Danni who stood at the doorway.

“Muuum,” she yelled and I wiped my hands and went to deal with the breathless copper.

“Cathy,” he puffed, “You’ve got to help.”

“Help who? What’s happened Andy?”

“It’s Margaret...”

“Your wife, Margaret?”

He nodded, too puffed to speak.

“Where is she?”

“QA, she’s had a heart attack—she’s going to die. Please help her.”

“Let me get my coat.” I dashed indoors and Jacquie handed it to me along with my bag. As I donned my coat, Jingle bells Cameron, arrived clad in coat and panda head hat. “Where are you going?”

“With you, if you behave I’ll let you help,” and before I could say anything she was trotting down the drive to the police car. I jogged along behind them.

“When’d it happen?” I asked as Andy drove like a demon blue lights flashing as we went.

“Hour ago, she phoned me and said she felt queer and I heard her fall. I called the ambulance and got there as it did. She’d arrested but they restarted her heart and got her to A&E. She looked really ill and the doc in charge said to send for my family, she’d not long to go. You’re my only hope, Cathy.”

“I’ll do my best, Andy.”

“An’ me,” piped a voice from behind me.

“We’ll do our best, kiddo.” I said and touched his arm.

“God, that was hot,” he said.

“What?” I enquired.

“Your hand, burned all the way up my arm.”

He stopped the car and we went into ICU, where he seemed to think she was. He was quite correct and the cardiologist was standing by the bed. “Oh it’s you,” he said and I pointed to the bed. “Be my guest,” he said shaking his head.

I sat in a chair by the side of the bed and held one of Margaret’s hands. “Hello, Margaret, I’m Cathy, a friend of Andy’s, I’m here to help you feel better.” The doctor still standing behind me cleared his throat as if in doubt of what I’d said. He should know better.

“I’m Trish,” said our resident genius, “an’ I’m with my mum, watch for the blue light, take it away, Mummy.”

“Trish, please.”

“Aw, Mummy.”

“Please.”

“Oh all right.”

“Thank you. Margaret, just listen to my voice and watch for the light which will be blue or white.”

“Blue,” interrupted Trish, but a glance from me shut her up.

“Look for an intense light which should be with you now.” I felt her squeezing my hand with whatever strength she had left. “Just relax and follow the light and my voice and I’ll bring you home safely.

The fibrillation began to slow and the machine registered a slow but steady bleep. I heard footsteps behind me, “How’s she doing?” asked Andy’s voice.

“Hush,” said the doctor, “this is fascinating.”

“Okay, Margaret, we’ve stabilised things, you’re on board, just relax and think of how much better you’re going to feel in a short time, just stay with me and listen to my voice only, pay no attention to anything else unless I tell you to and I promise I’ll get you home safely, okay?”

She squeezed my hand again.

“Now you might feel hot or cold or possibly both up your left arm and into your chest. I’m sorry if it feels uncomfortable but it’s necessary to help you, so bear with me for a few minutes. It will stop and you will get better.”

With one hand I held her hand with my other I ran my index and second finger up her arm slowly pressing on the skin quite hard. I heard her moan gently and a voice behind say, “Fascinating, absolutely fascinating.” I continued my digital pressure up her arm and across her chest. She gasped opened her eyes and passed out. Andy gasped behind me.

“Stay with me, Margaret, not long to go. Trish, do her right arm.”

“’Kay, Mummy.” She copied what she’d seen me do.

“I’m going to need a receiver, doctor.”

“What? Oh right.”

“Be ready when she sits up.”

“Eh?”

“Right, Margaret, up you get.” She opened her eyes and I helped her sit up. “Doctor, the receiver.”

“Here it is, where would you like it.”

“Hold it in front of her mouth, you nit.”

“Yeah, okay.”

With that and to the cardiologist’s disgust she began to vomit into the flimsy paper dish he held. It was thick creamy and pink goo and I could feel him trying to control his own urge to vomit as well.

Suddenly she stopped and fell back on the bed. “I can breathe now," she said closing her eyes and sleeping.

A nurse took the receiver from the cardiologist. “Was that what I think it was?”

“LDL.” I offered.

“How on earth did you clear that out of her arteries and into her stomach?”

“With difficulty.” I answered.

“That was amazing, you must let us study you, it could save thousands of lives.”

“And destroy mine, sorry Doc, we have to go, so does your memory of this event.”

“What?”

While he stood bemused Trish and I crept away. “Nurse, call high dependency, we have a transfer for them. She’s over the worst, Mr Bond, the drugs seem to have dispersed the clot.”

“Thank you, doctor.”

“They haven’t got a clue have they, Mummy?”

“I hope not, c’mon, I’ve just rung home, Sammi’s coming to get us.”

“In her new car?”

“I hope not, it’s a two seater.”

“That’s okay, Mummy, you said you didn’t do enough walking...”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
235 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Of course

you can't expect a small child to walk unattended. I almost fell off my chair at that line. That’s okay, Mummy, you said you didn’t do enough walking...” The kid is a genius and stand up comic. Maybe she's channeling Robin this time

Of course

you can't expect a small child to walk unattended. I almost fell off my chair at that line. That’s okay, Mummy, you said you didn’t do enough walking...” The kid is a genius and stand up comic. Maybe she's channeling Robin this time

Glad Cathy is able to clear memories

but hoping Andy Bond will remember - of course he's one of the good guys anyway.

Quite a trick there to clear the veins and arteries and get her to vomit the gunk out.

merry Christmas

kristin's picture

Nice to see her giving Andy the BEST present he could have asked for. Glad to see him rewarded for being one of the good guys. Always look forward to my cathy fix, thank you as always, STILL love your writing style :)

kristyn nichols

My excuse is its late

and its been a long day , Thats why i had to google LDL, I suppose i should have worked it out, But like i say its late and i have been up since early morning, Its a good job Christmas is a once yearly event, The other day i mentioned my bank account was suffering today it was my sleep.... Such is life :-)

Good to see Cathy back saving lives once more , Billie would no doubt have approved , Shame though that Cathy did not get more than a feeling of her presence, Something a little more full bodied would have been nice...

Kirri

Very happy that Cathy and

Very happy that Cathy and Trish could help PC Andy with his wife on Christmas day. What a wonderful present for him and her. As the doctor said, it would be nice if medicine could find out how Cathy is able to do what she does with the various people she interacts with. I am of the opinion that Cathy will be able to see Billie once she fully agrees to do as asked by goddess who has taken her 'under her wing' so to speak and stops arguing or 'whining' about it.

Seeing Billie

I do hope that someday she will be able to see Billie.

As to cooking, I did a Mexican Casserole that included ground beef, Tortilla chips, chili beans, corn and various other ingredients. I did not like it last night at the Christmas Dinner and almost threw it out today. However, I warmed some up in a skillet and the taste seemed to have fallen together, partly due to the fact that the corn had somewhat "caramelized". Why is that?

Gwen

Foods better the next day

Many foods actually improve in taste after sitting for a while. Especially foods where many different types of ingredients are combined such as casseroles and spagetti sauce. This is because the individual components have a chance to absorb and mingle with the other components.

Yup.

Podracer's picture

2nd day curry.

"Reach for the sun."

Nothing better then a Christmas miracle

Andy has been a loyal friend to Cathy. Since he retains his memory of her special abilities, he is considered in a way in the inner circle and a trusted ally. If you think about it, outside of her family circle, there very few outsiders in-the-know.

As for Margaret, consider it her second chance, with all those bacon sarnies getting flushed out of her.

Good to see the blue light.

Good to see the blue light is back and especially at a time when relationships and friendships count for so much.
Glad to see that Cathy (and the tinkling pixie) have still got the gift and are able to able to help people at this very special time of the year. Despite my atheism I still hold this season as important for relationships and good will so I'm especially pleased for Andie and his wife.
Have a happy holiday Ang.

x

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Cathy and the other side

Podracer's picture

She's still split down the middle isn't she? Not her gender divide but her world belief. Accepting that her supernatural healing has real effect, even that Trish has the gift, and wanting to relate to Billie. Yet refusing her goddess and ghosts as fancies of the subconscious. I wonder if she will come not to accept but at least to an accommodation that will give her some peace of mind.

"Reach for the sun."

She saved them both!

Andy, while driving, got a blue light special too. So he was obviously not in the rudest of healths.
Good on yer, Cathy.
(Hmmmm, how many Christmases is that now that she has been in the hospital rather than basking with family at home?)
Thanks, as ever, Angharad
J.

Walking.

Well, that told Cathy :) I hope she enjoyed her walk.

Having said that we managed to get 3 adults and and a 4 year old child in our AH Sprite all the way back to Derbyshire from Cornwall when my vintage motor cycle broke down. We had to leave the roof down and it was long before compulsory seat belt laws but we did it even though one of the adults was several months pregnant at the time:)

We put the bike on the train and it arrived a couple of days later. That was when we had a decent train service - also a long time ago.

Robi

Thanks for sharing

Thank you for sharing this gift of kindness with us your readers. This feeling at this season is worth more than many presents. Again thank you for sharing your talent.

Much Love,

Valerie R