Luna 1: Drafted - 2

Printer-friendly version


Luna 1: Drafted
Chapter 2
Arrival

A Whateley Academy tale
By
Irvine

This is fan fiction for the Whateley Academy series. It may or may not match the timeline, characters, and continuity.

If you would like background information on the canon characters, see:
http://crystalhall.wikia.com/wiki/Table_of_Contents

For a copy of the campus map I am using, see:
http://crystalhall.wikia.com/wiki/Campus_Map
(Note the link has been edited since some users were only seeing a thumbnail)

Authors Note:
In what follows, the phonetic spelling of Lieutenant is fairly self explanatory. However, because of certain plot opportunities it presented, I took artistic licence with sub-Lieutenant. In fact, sub-Lieutenant is a Royal Navy rank. For nearly a 150 years the junior subaltern rank in the UK has been 2nd Lieutenant, as it is in the US.

September 2007 Arrival at Whateley

As I have tried to explain before, I only got a brief glimpse of possible futures during my first exploration of the 'web of fates', something for which I will be eternally grateful. Most of my visions had been of possible future hells where demons ruled the world, as a result, although I had a rough idea of the direction of the near future, there were large gaps to my knowledge.

Another thing for which I would 'normally' have been grateful, was the fact that the future is fluid, and as my point of entry faded into the past, any detail in my vision became less and less accurate. My arrival at Whateley being a case in point.

I had known that I would arrive here, but had been unaware of the exact manner and things started going wrong immediately. Seeing the grim expressions on our welcoming committee, like any good guard dogs, Blackstar squad immediately got their hackles up. I could sense the impending disaster through our bond, and barked out: “Blackstar squad!... Fall in for inspection.”

Well, since I was a teenage girl, it was more of a high pitched squeak than a bark, but you get the picture.

Their training kicked in and they quickly formed up behind me at attention. My training under RSM Wilkins also kicked in; and, since I was nominally in command, I also stood at attention.

With my new feminine assets poking out provocatively, I suddenly remembered what I was wearing: A baby doll chemise, suspender-belt, seamed stockings, strappy heeled sandals, and heavy bedroom make-up, along with a lot of very suggestive jewellery. More embarrassing was what I was not wearing, ie bra and panties.

Okay, I had just finished over 9 weeks basic training under RSM Wilkins, much though I wanted to, there was no way I was going to break ranks; anyway, doing so would have made me look even more foolish. This didn't stop me from blushing as if my face was on fire though.

Perhaps I should explain here: As a succubus, I had a great deal of control over my bodies physical responses. For example during my escape I had deliberately used my blush response to trick Starlance into asking for my company. The current blush however, was a perfectly natural, involuntary response to my burning embarrassment. Furthermore, as I would later discover, unless I exercised rigid self control, my aspect as a teenage girl seemed to have the 'cute involuntary blush' honed to a fine art.

Anyway, on with the story: Gunny Bardue and Chief Delarose, both career military, shared an enigmatic look before gesturing Mrs Carson forward. Gunny Bardue saying: “It is a tradition headmistress. The troops expect it, and it's good for their moral.”

Giving Gunny and the Chief a 'What are you playing at look?', she sighed and the entire group passed behind me to inspect my squad. I was still standing rigidly at attention, and though it was two days before the official arrival date for freshers and over week before the official start of classes, I could see small crowds of students gathering to watch the spectacle.

It was only a six man squad, so after a few moments, Mrs Carson was once again standing in front of me. With a secret smile, in a loud voice designed to carry, she announced: “For a squad that has just come out of combat, your troops are very well presented sub-Leftenant. Though I must admit, I have never seen battle dress quite like what you are wearing. Is it your super-hero costume?”

The fact that she had used my subaltern rank in Baron Blitzen's forces, never mind that it was the UK form of address, rather than the American 2nd-Lieutenant, was almost completely lost in the heat from the super-nova erupting in my cheeks. I barked, or rather squeaked: “Mam! It was necessary for the mission Mam.”

Then, with one of the most beautiful laugh I have ever heard, she replied: “Relax child, you're safe now.” Looking over the Blackstar squad, she continued with a welcoming gesture: “All of you relax, she is safe and amongst friends.”

Starting to take her at her word, I could sense my squad had ignored her. Sighing, I barked: “Blackstar squad.... At ease!” and after a few seconds: “Blackstar squad.... Fallout!”

Have you ever realised that girlish squeaks are not really meant for barking parade ground orders. Gunny and the Chief seemed quite impressed though, and were exchanging meaningful glances.

Sensing the squad relax, I was about to manifest some decent clothing, when Princess Selene, intruded into my thoughts: <I must speak with them child, will you give me control for a few moments.>

After I had warned Mrs Carson and the others my guardian spirit wished to talk to them, I felt myself being pushed into the back seat. Taking control, Selene shifted our body into its succubus aspect for the first time. There was a rightness to it, it was like putting on your favourite, most comfortable clothing. Unfortunately, while the basic shape and size of my human and succubus aspects were the same, there was no room for my wings under the chemise. The rags of which were falling to the ground, along with the remnants of my dignity. As a succubus however, Selene was totally unconcerned.

At the slight grimace of distaste from Circe, Princess Selene responded: “Relax noble Seer, the succubi you knew during the time of the Olympians were ragged refugees who had been driven insane by the Sundering. I give you my word as a member of the Court of the Moon, I mean no harm to anyone at this school.”

With a gaullic shrug, Circe replied: “I am aware of this Highness, it's just that when you have lived as long as I have, it is sometimes difficult to dismiss long held prejudices; even when they are unwarranted. Know that there is peace between us.”

With a nod of respect to Circe, Selene turned to Mrs Carson: “Headmistress, my daughter is a human child, I humbly beg sanctuary for her here at your school?”

<Daughter?>

<Hush child, I will explain later.>

There was a rightness to this, it seemed to fill a hole that had been there since my rejection by my birth mother. A hole which I had been trying hard to pretend did not exist.

Mrs Carson, possibly struck by the formality of the request, replied equally formally: “Her situation is known to us and a place has been prepared for her.”

Things were definitely starting to look up, I now had a new mother who loved me and a home where I would be safe. Though what happened next truly surprised me. Selene turned to Gunny and Chief Delarose saying: “Warriors. During her escape, my child bonded this war band to her service. Since she is no longer fully human, she draws a certain 'nourishment' through this bond. Could you find a place in your ranks for her bondsmen while we are here. I give you my word as a Princess of the Court of the Moon: They will follow your orders absolutely, and die to protect the school, its students and staff?”

Pausing for a moment, I felt her give a sly glance towards my uncle Dave, before continuing: “My daughter will of course pay for their upkeep; and, as a gift to the school, cause to have built suitable quarters.”

Gunny and the Chief shared another speculative look, one that seemed to be more about me and my bondsmen rather than the promised gift. (I liked that description, it had a nice ring to it, 'bondsmen'.)

Throwing a wry grimace to Mrs Potter and Circe, Chief Delarose replied: “Gunny Bardue and I have been briefed on the situation regarding your daughter, and have been discussing amongst ourselves her training as a battle leader. We have a tentative plan for the integration of her forces into school security.”

Giving me a stern look, one that was definitely directed at me rather than Selene: “When your daughter reports to security at 8:30 am tomorrow to be debriefed on her little adventure, we will discuss this more fully..... This year we have decided to take preventative action to redirect the energies of anyone deemed to have 'Kimba potential'. Meanwhile, I suggest she reflects on the high standards of behaviour we expect from an auxiliary security officer.”

Gulp! (and what did he mean by 'Kimba potential'?)

Welcome

Satisfied, Selene surrendered control of my body. Once back in the driving seat, I immediately shifted to my human aspect and manifested a loose white robe. The reason that I reverted to my human form was not because I was more comfortable as a human, far from it, it was just simple practicality. My wings would have got in the way of the manifested clothing. Strangely, though simple, the robe I manifested was surprisingly feminine. It was modelled after the robes worn by the statues of Greek goddesses, exposing a lot of skin around my shoulders and cleavage. I didn't consciously choose this design, so maybe I was adjusting better than I thought.

Finally able to relax, I took a long look around at the gawking groups of students and sighed, I could already see the rumours of my arrival sprouting on the campus grapevine. Mrs Carson, following my gaze, echoed my sigh saying: “I think we should retire to my office, I can already see the rumour mill working overtime for months over this, and I don't have any prescient abilities.”

Turning her gaze to some nearby bushes, in a voice designed to carry, she announced : “By the way, while I am sure law enforcement would love to look over the data on Baron Blitzen's operations your Highness brought us. However, the school has a strict policy of neutrality vis a vis law enforcement and the more criminal elements of the mutant community. Therefore, we cannot help you with passing it to the proper authorities. Though, given the amount of spying that goes on here, I am sure some over eager FBI agent will try to liberate it. Chief why don't you see about debriefing her Highness's troops, and make sure that the data is stored securely.”

Smiling, the Chief replied: “I will see to it personally, headmistress.” before giving me an enquiring glance....

Turning to my bondsmen who were standing in the relaxed posture of bodyguards continually scanning for potential threats. I called out: “Okay Blackstar squad, you did well, and I am very pleased with your performance. I want you to go with the Gunny and Chief Delarose. Obey them as you would me.”

After a moment's thought, I continued: “It would not be appropriate for you to become involved in any school-yard disputes between me and the other student, so for the moment your job is to protect the school, its staff and 'ALL' of its students. I will visit security this evening to make sure you are being taken care of... Dismissed.”

An artful little speech, even if I thought so myself. From the mumbled conversations taking place, Mrs Carson and the others seemed quite pleased about it. I definitely felt things were getting off to a good start, and no it wasn't my esper trait, it was just the good vibes I was getting.

As Gunny and the Chief gathered up my bondsmen, I got a flash-vision of a newspaper clipping: Within 48 hours the MCO, acting in co-operation with Interpol and an international coalition of mutant super-heroes, would raid Baron Blitzen's fortress. While the Baron would escape, they would rescue over 50 women and 30 children who had been held as sex-slaves. They would also significantly disrupt the Barons worldwide operations.

Unfortunately, the MCO would use the raid as a propaganda coup that demonstrated to the world they were not anti-mutant, just conscientious guardians of baseline humanity. Personally, I didn't really care what spin they put on it, I was just glad that Anna, Jasmine, Rene and the others were going to be safe.

Mrs Potter and Circe approached the Headmistress, with Circe taking the lead: “Elizabeth, I don't think you need us for the rest of this, and Mrs Potter and I could do with a nice cup of tea... Oh! By the way, you should give some thought to Rev Englund, you know how upset he gets about some things....”

At Mrs Carson's sharp look, Mrs Potter interrupted: “No dear, it's not prescience. Just common sense.”

With a long suffering sigh, she replied: “I suspect you're right, I will have a word with him.”

Mrs Potter then came over, embracing me in warm girlish welcome, she told me: “I am glad you got here safely dear. Once you get settled in, Circe and I will see to your training. For the moment just relax and try to enjoy your time at Whateley.”

As Circe and Mrs Potter left, Headmistress Carson suggested we should follow her to her office. Since she was talking to Dr Hartford about some administrative details, I was finally able to talk to my uncle Dave. Falling in beside me, he greeted me in his usual jocular fashion: “Well look at you your Highness, who would have thought you would turn out to be a fairy Princess in disguise.”

I was about to object,and ask what all this Highness guff was about, when Selene intruded into my thoughts: <He is correct you know.>

<What!>

<The magics used in our joining changed you so that you really are my daughter. Before I volunteered to become a weapon in the war against the 'Great Old Ones', I was from an ancient and noble sidhe family. Although our court was a minor one, among the sidhe your titles are still valid. As my only living daughter, and the most senior surviving member of my court you are now properly titled: 'Royal Princess of the Court of the Moon'.>

I was kind of stunned at what Selene was saying, and didn't really know how to respond. Selene, taking my silence for acceptance continued: <There are other things you must be aware of : Sidhe are very long lived, barring death by injury, they are potentially immortal. As your body reaches maturity, the ageing process would normally slow considerably. For you however, because of your aspect as a succubus, your apparent age will freeze at the point for optimum effectiveness of the weapon you have become. For human women, I believe this is around eighteen years of age.>

With the shock at what she was saying, I stumbled and had to be rescued by my uncle. Selene, realising the effect her words had had on me, apologised. Saying: <I am sorry, but you are strong and will adjust. We will talk later.>

Everybody had stopped, and because of the way they were looking at me with concern, I felt the need to explain, telling them: “Selene just told me that I am potentially immortal and my apparent age will freeze at around eighteen.”

Mrs Carson, who looked to be in her late twenties or, at most, early thirties, winced in sympathy, saying: “I am over 76 years old, when I was in my late thirties I looked to be around eighteen. I now look younger than my daughter, which confuses my grand children immensely. It is not quite the same I know, but there are people around who will understand. There is also a few dozen other sidhe at the school who have similar problems, so you aren't alone.”

Nodding my acceptance and thanks, we continued our walk in silence. When we finally arrived at the Headmistress's office, I had more or less recovered some equilibrium and was able to take note of what I was being told.

The meeting in the headmistress's office took over an hour, during which time I was repeatedly stunned by how much my uncle Dave had achieved. Because of my visions in the 'web of fate', I had some inkling of what he been doing, but no real detail. As I have told you, he was a kind of geeky dropout. What I hadn't known was, he had a major 'bad-ass' reputation in hacking circles, and not only knew Dr Hartford personally, but had previously done some contract work for her here at Whateley. After he had submitted the winning EuroMillion ticket, he had proof positive I was a powerful pre-cog. It had then taken him a few months to cover his tracks and the origin of the money, before it was safe for him to come to Whateley and ask Dr Hartford for advice.

It was at this point that Mrs Potter and Circe, also contacted Dr Hartford about me. On the advice of Circe and Mrs Potter, Dr Hartford and my uncle started to prepare a 'legend' of the type used by deep cover spies. Using school contacts on both side of the law, my new identity as thirteen and half year old schoolgirl Fiona Siobhan McCloud, was a well established fact. With bureaucratic records going back to my birth, Admiral Everhart from school security, who I would later get to know quite well, felt there was, at most, three or four people on the planet capable of piercing the legend. What was truly amazing, was that they already had a UK passport, along with an immigration green-card, ready for me in the office. I have no idea whether the photo-id was done with magic, photo-shop or a combination thereof; to be honest, I was frightened to ask.

The thing about using a deep cover legend is to try to keep the legend as close to the truth as possible. So my new history was: I had been born and, until six months ago, raised in Edinburgh. For work related reasons, my parents, (both high powered executives,) had then moved to New Hampshire bringing me along with them. Within days of our arrival there had been a car accident in which both my parents had been killed and I had been seriously injured. Since neither of my parents had family, in an act of foresight they had made arrangements with a close friend, (one of Mrs Potters daughters who lived locally,) that she would act as my guardian. To finish off the legend, while in hospital I had manifested as a mutant. Then, when Mrs Potters daughter was taking me home for the first time, I had been kidnapped by Baron Blitzen's forces from the hospital car-park. In her typically enigmatic fashion my guardian's mother, a known powerful pre-cog, had advised that it would be better to allow me to escape on my own, thus explaining my dramatic arrival at Whateley.

It was a beautiful well crafted legend, it fitted together in a way in which all the knowledge to make it work essentially involved me telling the absolute truth, with little potential for an embarrassing faux pas that would expose the legend for what it was. Even Selene was impressed, the only thing I really needed to do to complete the cover story was meet Mrs Potters daughter for the first time.

Another big advantage was it gave me the perfect excuse to spend time with Mrs Potter, who would also be serving as my student mentor. This would help to disguise the true nature of my esper trait from the recruiters of the various security agencies who infested the campus.

A nice touch was: Since both my parents had been independently wealthy, I was now the sole heir to their fortune, about £200 million or, at 2007 exchange rates, about $400 million. Apparently, the bump in the value of the winning lottery ticket had something to do with the timing and method of the transactions my uncle and Dr Hartford had used to hide the origin of my fortune, (hacker speak for dirty tricks.)

Sadly, since I was still only thirteen, the money was being held in trust until I was eighteen with Mrs Potter' daughter serving as the trustee. On the other hand, the big consolation prize was: I now had my own platinum credit card with a truly eye popping limit. This meant shopping, shopping and even more shopping!

No! I wasn't turning into a real girl, I had no clothes or belongings whatsoever. Underneath my manifested robe, apart from suspender-belt, stockings and a pair of heeled sandals, I was completely naked, and would remain so until I could go shopping to buy new clothes.

When I pointed out my lack of wardrobe, Mrs Carson informed me that, in order for me to meet my putative guardian, a trip to Dunwich had already been arranged for tomorrow morning; and, as per school regulations requiring a staff member to supervise outside excursions, Admiral Everhart would be escorting me. She highly recommended 'Rogers' Fabric Boutique', explaining that though it was pricey, Cecilia Rogers was one of the best seamstresses on the planet, and would be able to see to all my clothing needs. Then, pushing across my new student ID, she went on to say that $30,000 had already been added to my campus account and using the cards RFID, I would be able to buy some basic clothing in the campus store after we had finished.

A quick mental calculation revealed $30,000 to be £15,000. Up until then, the most money I had ever personally spent was £10 I had received as gift. As it was starting to sink in that I really was rich, I noticed the details of my ID card: Sub-Lieutenant, (pronounced Leftenant,) Fiona S McCloud, auxiliary campus security.

At my angry demand as to what they thought they were playing at, it was explained that the previous year there had been problems with certain students, who through no real fault of their own, had become recognised trouble magnets. It had been decided that this year things would be different and steps would be taken to redirect the energies of students thought to have 'Kimba potential'. Since I was a magical weapon crafted to fight in the war against the GOO; a weapon, she wryly added, which had already formed its own private army, it was felt that the best people to take me in charge were security.

It had been found that deputising certain 'trusted' students as security auxiliaries, greatly reduced the incidental damage to school property from school-yard disputes between super-powered children. She gave me a penetrating glare at the word 'trusted', a glare that spoke volumes, before she went on to inform me there was also a school regulation requiring all students to have a part-time job working for one of the campus support services. Because of the aforementioned details, I would have no choice in my paid work-study. Furthermore, although I was being enrolled in the schools junior-high program, the school was in fact more of a high end prep-school for precociously intelligent mutant children. This meant they had great latitude in the types of courses offered, with students often earning advanced degrees before graduating high-school. Because of my gifts, Gunny Bardue, Admiral Everhart and Chief Delarose, were at this very moment planning out a course of independent study to supplement my normal school work, one that would be modelled after what one might expect to find at Sandhurst or Westpoint.

As headmistress Carson spoke, she had a steely eyed glint that became progressively more intense. It was obvious from her tone that there would be no whining my way out of this, the decision had been made and I would just have to live with it. When Selene murmured approval at the plan, I took the opportunity to vent my frustration with a mental shout of: <Shutup!>

I was in such a funk, that I almost missed her explaining that it was a tradition inside campus security to carry forward any previous military rank. Since I was now working for security and had previously held subaltern rank in a recognised military organisation, this was now my rank inside campus security. She then casually pointed out that if I ever tried to use that rank without it being a matter of life and death, I would be cleaning the toilets in Hawthorne for months. I wasn't sure what Hawthorne was, but I definitely got the impression that a firing squad might be preferable.

So far, I hadn't really had a chance to talk to my uncle privately. Apologising for this, he explained that due to my cover, we couldn't really afford to be associated together. He mentioned that he was currently doing some contract work for the school; and when the opportunity arose, he would try to arrange some time for us together away from prying eyes. Then, with him telling me he would still be keeping an eye out for me and I was not alone, we were finished.

Vamp

Saying that she had other business to discuss with my uncle and Dr Hartford. Mrs Carson informed me that a student was waiting outside to introduce me to the campus. At this obvious dismissal, I shoved my student ID, passport and credit card into manilla folder, along with the Whateley student handbook and left with as much dignity as I could muster.

At first I thought that the girl waiting in the outer office, was a Goth, then as she stood up to introduce herself as 'Vamp' and I got a closer look, I realised she might actually be a vampire. Seeing the gears of my brain clunking into overdrive, she cheekily pointed out: “Hey, sunlight, and no poof of dust!”

I liked her immediately, she had the same kind of, 'I am a rogue, but I am good', vibe as my uncle Dave. Assuring me that her appearance was just a result of her mutation and she was not a real 'undead' vampire. She went on to say that the 'Goobers', a training team sponsored by the Rev Englund, basically monster hunting 'Buffy' wannabes, had tried to stake her a few times. I recognised Rev Englund's name of course, and remembering Circe's cryptic comments wanted to know more. Vamp was having none of it though. The rumour mill had already gone into overdrive, and she wanted details, lots and lots of details.

Before leaving Schuster hall, she got Mrs Linford to let us into the Homer gallery and gave me the obligatory chance to admire(?) Lord Paramount's portrait. Explaining that it was a requirement of his .financial contribution to the school, she mentioned in passing, I would get the full tour tomorrow when the other fresh young Posies arrived. When I told her I urgently needed to stop by the campus store to buy some clothes, it was the chance she had been waiting for.

Guiding me around the back of Crystal Hall she explained that because it was still officially summer recess, there was only one campus bookmaker running a betting pool on the reasons for my spectacular arrival. The current favourite being: I had escaped on my wedding night from a political marriage arranged between European Royal Families.

I could only sigh in frustration, exclaiming: “I am only thirteen!”

With a lascivious leer and a suggestive wiggle of her eyebrows, she countered: “You could have fooled me!”

Then, playing her trump card: “Anyway, I heard about your arrival, and the way you were un-dressed, you definitely came here straight from some down and dirty bedroom action.”

Groaning, I almost screamed: “I had been kidnapped by Baron Blitzen who wanted to use me in his mutant breeding program. I escaped just before I was raped!”

Pausing to think it over, Vamp pulled out a cellphone and quick dialled a number. After few seconds, she spoke: “Hey Risk, you owe me $50. You can check her story when we get down to Poe, but she was kidnapped by a super villain and seduced her guards to escape.” after a few moments, she finished the call by saying: “Glad you will make so much money off the sucker bet, any time man.”

Blushing like a Jovian sunspot, I wanted to bang my head off the wall. Although Vamp's cavalier treatment of the truth was technically inaccurate; unfortunately, given the nature of high-school, playing 'What's my power', was probably a major pastime. In other words, it was bound to come out I was a succubus, and when that happened nobody would ever believe I hadn’t fucked my way to freedom. Argh!

Thankfully, we had arrived at the campus store. I was impressed, it was a kind hybrid between a Decathlon sports shop and a Tesco supermarket. Selling everything from guns and knuckle-dusters, to beauty products and jewellery, with a wide selection of snack foods thrown in for variation.

First thing on the agenda was clothes. I had already decided that I didn't really know enough about girls clothes to make an informed choice of style and fashion. So, on Mrs Carson's advice, I was going to be frank with Cecilia Rogers about my recent gender change and use my new found wealth to commission a complete wardrobe. This meant all I really needed was an outfit to get me through tonight and tomorrow morning.

The store was self service, and grabbing a trolley, we headed over to the clothing section. En-route, I had to curb Vamp's enthusiasm, explaining I had a major shopping tripped planned with my guardian for tomorrow morning. I only threw in the guardian bit because I could see the excitement building in her eyes and didn't want to offend her by saying she couldn't come. Then Selene intruded: <Fiona, you are a child of the sidhe. You will find that if you wear them too long, modern materials will irritate your skin. Because of your human base form, you have some immunity, but it is best to stick to natural fabrics.>

<Great, just flaming great, is there anything else I should know.>

She actually had the temerity to laugh at my pout, before replying: <Many things' child, I will give you some instruction this evening when you dream.>

I am sure she threw that in just to surprise me, if it hadn't been for the shopping trolley I would have tripped and fallen. Vamp was looking at me questioningly, and still feeling a little bit peeved, I decided to mess with her head, telling her: “My mother has a strange sense of humour, she just told me something that surprised me.”

All in all, the whole exchange perked me up quite a bit, Selene had called me Fiona and I liked it; I had called her my mother and it felt really good, and best of all: The look of total confusion on Vamp's face nearly made up for the embarrassing version of my escape she had just fed into the rumour mill.”

Panties were not a problem, well not a great problem. Directly in front of me was a 'three pack' of plain white cotton boy briefs, but I had no idea of sizes. Looking around for inspiration, I noticed the selection of bras, and sighed. There was no doubt I was going to have to bite the bullet here, but I was just plain lost. It was then that Vamp did something that would cement our friendship; leaning in close, she asked in a conspiratorial voice: “I will explain on the way back to Poe, but how long have you been a girl?”

I got a strong prescient hunch that I should trust her so I replied in the same conspiratorial tone: “About ten hours or so, probably a bit less.”

Okay, that really did set her back on her heals, but she recovered quickly. Dragging me over to the bras, she told me: “I would guess you are a solid B cup.”

Stopping in front of a collection of lacy matched bra and bikini briefs, she took one off the peg and suggested that I hold the cup up to my assets to check it for size. With a bit of experimentation, we narrowed down the appropriate cup and band sizes for the bra, and got a fair idea of my hip measurements. Then it was just a case of choosing the fabric. Okay, I was taking Selene's advice to heart here. The nylon stocking's especially were starting to feel a bit yucky. I had put it down to wearing them for four or five hours, but after what Selene had said, it was probably the synthetic material. It was the same with the suspender-belt, it was nominally a silk bobbin lace, but probably used synthetics.

Wanting to go back to the selection of pure cotton briefs, I explained to Vamp about my allergy. She was having none of it, saying: “Look a lot of the fun in being a girl is wearing naughty silk lingerie. The sidhe have the same allergies as you and there are enough here at the school that they keep a few things for them.”

Seeing me blink when she mentioned the sidhe, she asked in a puzzled tone of voice: “You don't look like a sidhe, but the way you reacted, it was as if I had hit the bull's eye?”

It was easier just to admit it: “It's a long story, but yes I am technically sidhe.”

“Oh, you will need to meet Fey then, she's in Poe too, she's some kind of sidhe Royalty or something.”

Wishing she would drop the subject, I picked up the first bra and bikini brief set that came to hand. It was a scandalously sheer navy blue, with delicate gold thread trimming, and it was 100% pure silk.

“Ooh good choice! That's what I was talking about girl. Nobody will be able to see it, but having it against your skin will make you feel deliciously naughty.”

I was about to object when Selene put in her two cents worth: <She is correct Fiona, remember you are a weapon. To be an effective weapon, you must use the tools available to the best advantage.>

Bringing my hands up to the side of my head and grabbing two fistfuls of hair, I let out a silent scream of frustration. The way vamp was looking at me, made me want to mess with her some more, so I just smiled sweetly and said: “My mother apparently agrees with you.”

Man, I loved doing that to her. She just stood their gaping as I threw the lingerie in the trolley and angrily stalked off to look at some tops.

Like I say, I only really needed one outfit, and with both Vamp and Selene pressuring me, I was soon kitted out with a loose fitting, sleeve less, cotton crop-top. Light blue in colour, it had a deep V neck and a lace trimmed hem; which, by the way, barely seemed to reach below my breasts. Vamp loved it, insisting it was perfect for me and I should learn to live dangerously. After that, the mid thigh, black woven wool pencil skirt with a silk lining seemed positively decorous. We finished off the ensemble, with a matching pair of black stiletto heels, and a fashionably feminine, black leather shoulder bag just large enough to hold a purse, hair brush and a few other odds and ends. With the addition of a wallet to hold my new credit card, passport and student ID, I was set.

Heading over to the beauty care section, I loaded up with: Hairbrush, soap, shampoo & conditioner, toothbrush, toothpastes, terry-cloth cotton bath towels a terry-cloth bathrobe, along with everything else I thought I might need in the way of toiletries. When Vamp saucily pointed out that because of the bikini briefs I would need to 'shave the carpet', I managed to refrain from strangling her and, with a flat look, threw shaving supplies into the mix.

Thinking I was finally getting out of there, I was once again ambushed by Vamp and Selene when they both insisted I needed make-up. At first I didn't have a clue, though Vamp was able to help some. In the high end cosmetics section, they had a range of natural ingredient beauty products. To keep it simple, and at Vamps urging, I decided go with the basic bedroom look I had been given in preparation for my 'breeding' at Baron Blitzen's castle. With my exemplar memory, I knew what cosmetics, brushes, nail files, tweezers and other paraphernalia I would need, and soon had a substantial collection of make-up, (along with the accessories,) in my trolley. Adding a small bottle of perfume that had a light flowery scent Selene liked, I realised I was going to need a box or something to keep it all in. Vamp, staring at the trolley full of makeup in amazement, asked in an awed voice: “Are you sure you have only been a girl for ten hours?”

Feeling I owed her an explanation, I replied: “Exemplar memory, I remember how they prepared me for my 'breeding' when I escaped from the castle.”

Seeing her wince, I think I finally got through to her what I had been through before my arrival at Whateley. Then she spoiled it by saying: “You are going to need a couple of mirrors.”

Argh!

We were heading over to the workshop section to see if I could find a small plastic cantilevered toolbox, you know, the type with lots of trays that fishermen use, when we passed the section of the store that held supplies for mages. Since I had already started training as a combat mage, I slowed for a casual browse. Noticing they had a collection of jewellery fit for enchantment, Selene told me that she had intended to use the jewellery I had been given at the castle to show me how to make a reliquary, and suggested, if I bought a few more items, she would show me how to make other useful enchantments. With an offer like that, I went to it with gusto.

As Selene would later explain to me in detail, her role during the war had been as a type of SAS or Green Beret commando. Espionage and assassination had certainly been a big part of her duties, but where she really excelled was in the art of insurgency. While she was no Artificer, she did have substantial training in those arts. Training that would allow her to improvise weaponised enchantments and charms that would help her to carry out her primary mission. When you combined these skills with her Succubus abilities, particularly her ability to bond enemy warriors to her service, she was akin to a doomsday weapon.

Since she fully intended to teach me everything she knew, this was a kind of scary thought. I think the only reason I was prepared to go along with her was my visions of what would happen if I and currently unknown others failed to stop the return of the 'Great Old Ones.'

Putting all this aside for later, what Selene primarily needed was supplies for me to make my own jewellery. Tools like: snips; pliers; a small vice; a fly tying vice, a tiny 5kg anvil; a couple of fancy lightweight hammers, a butane torch; a jeweller's drill; swiss files; metal polish and polishing paper; blocks of soft wood and leather to make pressure moulds; a set of small linoleum chisels; a 60 pc mini drill and grinder set; jeweller's wax and heavy duty float glass blocks to hold delicate objects; silver and gold solders along with suitable fluxes; and much more. I've got to admit, I had no idea most of the stuff existed, never mind what she would want me to do with it.

Once satisfied with the tools, we needed some raw materials to practice with. Starting with various colours of chalks and 'magic sands' to inscribe pentagrams and the like; we included a fair sized flexible blackboard made from black unpolished leather and a wooden mortar and pestle. Next we added a small selection of different gauges of gold and silver jeweller's wire; and finally, guided by Selene's comments on their magical quality, a small collection of different types of gemstones.

I was throwing a couple of gold and silver pendant chains into the trolley, when I noticed the prefabricated jewellery. Okay I had only been a girl for a few hours, but I had heard enough catty bitching from the girls in my old school to know that variety in a girl's day-to-day look was very important. So, even to my old male mind, it was obvious I would need more ready to wear jewellery that could be mixed and matched with what I already owned. Yes, I know, technically I had stolen the jewellery, but I considered it fair compensation for the many indignities associated with my near rape.

Since, in my mind, the sapphire jewellery I had liberated symbolised my joining with Selene, I wanted to make it the basis of my day-today look. (It was only later I would discover its value and how most people would either be profoundly shocked or deeply offended by my ostentatious display of wealth.) Anyway, I was throwing into the trolley earrings, belly rings, pendants, bracelets and finger rings with various shades of sparkling blue gemstones, when I noticed Vamps glazed expression.

Because I hadn't really bothered to explain to Vamp about my 'mothers' offer, Vamp had just been standing their speechlessly watching me become more girly by the minute. It was then that I saw a gold hooped belt. Of a similar size to my sapphire belt, the hoops were alternated with square cut, 'sea blue' aquamarine gemstones set in gold filigree panels. The stones were of great clarity and well matched, and although the belt had a hefty price tag, it seemed to call to me. When Vamp realised the direction of my gaze, it was the final straw. Unable to contain herself, she burst out with: “You have got to be pulling my leg.”

I just gave her a beatific, Zen like smile, saying: “Ooh!... Shiny.”, I threw the belt into the trolley.

God I loved doing that to her. Picking up two plastic toolboxes, one for the jewellery and one for the cosmetics, I got a larger, more sturdy box for my tools. Just to yank her chain a bit more, I commented that time was pressing and I would get something more feminine for my jewellery later. Then, as we got near the checkout, I had a brainwave and realised that if I got a smallish rucksack to carry my school-books, I would be able to use it to carry the heavier tools. Seeing one emblazoned with unicorns and fairies, the opportunity to mess with Vamp some more was too good to miss so I threw that into the mix as well.

At the checkout, I barely managed not to wince when I saw the bill. Like I say, the most I had ever spent in my life was £10, and in just one shopping trip I had blown more money on clothes, jewellery and cosmetics than my birth mother would have spent in five, on second thoughts, make that ten years. Though, when Selene pointed out that in terms of my annual yearly income, what I had just spent wasn't even small change, I felt a lot better.

Watching the expression on Vamps face, it was with smug satisfaction I swiped my student ID card to pay for my purchases. It was at that point I realised I had mad a fatal mistake, Vamp was a very observant girl, and she immediately noticed:

1. My ID card was emblazoned with a badge marking me as a security auxiliary.
2. My rank in security was Sub-Lieutenant.

Talk about disaster, this was of major epic proportions, possibly worse than the Titanic and my spectacular arrival at Whateley combined.

Poe

After packing my purchases into the rucksack, the big tool box, (which we carried between us,) and half a dozen carrier bags, we left the campus store and were heading for Poe cottage. Pointing out important buildings en-route, Vamp demanded answers to questions based on an itemised list of observations. These were:

1. Every one had heard Mrs Carson address me as 'your Highness'.
2. I had just spent enough on jewellery to buy a decent car, and didn't even have the decency to blink.
3. Tomorrow I was intending to buy a complete wardrobe at Cecilia Rogers boutique. Most students couldn't even afford to buy a single school uniform there without a special needs hardship grant.
4. I was not only newly arrived, but if I was telling the truth, I was a pre-fresher in the junior-high program. Yet, I was somehow already enrolled as an auxiliary in campus security. For Vamp, a dubious honour, but one which, according to her, both the official cape squad and the cape wannabes would, depending on their gender, give either their left nut or right tit. As far as Vamp knew, there were less than half a dozen students acting as deputised auxiliaries, all of them had been here for years, and furthermore, as Vamp delicately put it: They all had broomsticks shoved so far up their..... Well, the rest of Vamps little rant on the character of security auxiliaries is probably best left unsaid.
5. To return to her itemised list: Unless the student was entitled, there were very strict school regulations against using academic or aristocratic titles and military ranks. Yet somehow, I was not only a security auxiliary, I was a commissioned officer outranking the vast majority the campus security regulars who, in most cases, had years of military experience.
6. Finally, everyone had seen my private army and it had been well noted that these were extremely dangerous individuals with the bearing of years of military service. Yet, they had obeyed me as if I was the meanest commander ever to grace a battlefield.

Cringing, I could only whine: “It's not my fault, it was Carson's idea. I'm a weapon and they want to keep anyone with 'Kimba potential' under tight control. Security are taking over my training as a battle commander, and since I had the rank of sub-Leftenant in Baron Blitzen's army, that rank's been carried forward into campus security.”

My vain hope that she would be satisfied with my explanation and back off were dashed when she demanded: “What kind of weapon?”

Drawing in on myself and cringing even more, I gave her a pleading, doe-eyed look. It didn't work. She was obviously immune to my charms and, with a flat expression, demanded: “Well?”

Hoping to minimise the damage, I launched into the long version of Selene's story, telling her: “You see, during the war leading upto the sundering, the sidhe created a weapon called a succubus....”

A what?”

This was not going well at all. I just wanted to curl into a ball at her interruption, and repeated in an even more whiny voice: “A succubus.”

“And the private army?”

With no escape, I almost whispered: “I bonded them.”

With her eyes widening by the second, she exclaimed in astonishment: “They're your sex-slaves?”

Okay, that one got me, I shouted: “Look I am only thirteen. I just bonded them, that's all. They are absolutely loyal, obedient bodyguards; something like very intelligent guard-dogs .”

Putting the succubus thing to one side for the moment, she switched tack by asking: “Okay what's with Carson calling you 'Highness'.”

Nothing seemed able to stop her, and hoping to bury her in the weight of my titles I stood up straight. As I began to speak, some of Selene's knowledge seemed to pass directly into me, and what came out surprised even me: “Before my mother volunteered to become a weapon, she was from a noble sidhe family. Since my families rank and titles are still valid, in the short form of address I am properly titled: 'Her Highness, The Royal Princess of the Court of the Moon, Grand Duchess of the Evening Star, Countess of the Twilight Shadow, sub-Leftenant Fiona Siobhan McCloud'.”

Then, spoiling the effect, in a fit of pure girlishness, I added: “There's even more verbiage, but if you like, you can call me Fiona.”

It didn't work. Well, there was a small friendly giggle when I said she could call me Fiona, but she still wanted answers, and continued inexorably: “Okay, how come you have a sidhe mother? They all died thousands of years ago and the ones that have returned are too young to be your mother.”

I had very little left to hide, so I told her the truth: “It was part of the magic when our spirits joined and I became a succubus. I really am her daughter and she really is my mother.”

Maybe I said this a bit more forcefully than necessary. My rejection by my birth mother had hurt me worse than I cared to admit. So, when Selene told me she really was my mother, it was like a great weight off my mind. Vamp didn't seem to notice though, she just asked curiously: “What about your birth mother?”

Like I say, the rejection had hurt, so there was a slight tremor in my voice as I gave her the cover version: “My birth parents were killed in a car accident just before I manifested as a mutant and was kidnapped by Baron Blitzen.”

Sensing the unspoken pain in my voice, Vamp was a lot more gentle when she asked the final question that had been bothering her: “And the money?”

I just shrugged saying: “My parents were both independently wealthy and I inherited all of it. It's being held in trust till I am eighteen, but I have a generous allowance.”

Deciding to mess with her head again, I finished by giggling: “That’s why I can afford to keep a private army and gift the school with a new security barrack.”

Also giggling, Vamp replied with her nose in the air and a fake snotty voice : “Well, I have a trust fund too.”

Then she added in a more normal tone: “Though I doubt it's in the same league as yours. If you're building a security barrack for the school, you must be as rich as the 'Goodthing'.”

We were just arriving at the door of Poe Cottage, I wanted to ask what she meant by the 'Goodthing', when almost simultaneous Vamp, with a muttered curse, realized where we were, and the door opened to reveal the house mother Mrs Horton.

Looking askance at Vamp she sighed and said: “I take it from your expressive vocabulary you were too busy quizzing our latest Posie on her dramatic arrival to bother filling her in on the Poe secret.” At Vamps guilty start, she sighed again saying: “That's not a good recommendation for someone angling to become the new cottage fixer Vamp. Is it?”

Based partly on Vamps cryptic comments while we were shopping, partly on things I had seen but not understood during my time trapped in the 'web of fate' and partly on my own situation as a boy recently turned into a girl, I put three and three together. Since Vamp was becoming a friend, something I sorely needed, I burst out with: “Oh but she did Mrs Horton, she told me all about the Poe secret.”

Looking me directly in the eye, Mrs Horton replied: “Nice try dear, but even if I hadn't been briefed on your little gifts, Vamps reaction would have told me all I needed to know. Still, if you are going to insist on being a loyal friend, then it's probably best that Vamp returns that loyalty by showing you to your room and helping you unpack. I am sure she has a lot of other things to tell you. Don't you Vamp?”

Wincing again, Vamp nodded before quickly rushing me past Mrs Horton and up the stairs only to stop halfway up to shout back: “Erm... Mrs Horton, which room?”

To be continued, comments are always welcome.

Irvine

up
267 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fun

Elsbeth's picture

Fun chapter, thrown to the wolves.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Should be an interesting meeting or two

Things will be interesting when Fey and the rest of the Kimbas meet Luna and her squad. Even more so when Nikki and Luna's avatars meet for the first time.

please

please, eagerly awaiting more. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

enjoying this story

enjoying this story

While a great and enjoyable

Sadarsa's picture

While a great and enjoyable story, i felt that so far it's just a little too narrative, that tends to make it feel rushed...to me anyway.

Still, i look forward to seeing where this goes.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Exposition or inclusion?

I understand what you mean, it's one the oldest problems in literature: How to get across necessary information that is not directly part of the plot. For a playwright it's easy, you have an offstage narrator who gives an 'exposition', and the actors stick to the dialogue.

For a writer of fiction it's much harder, (at least in my opinion.) It's a kind of balance, if I can convey by 'inclusion' in two or three short paragraphs necessary information, yet information that has little interest with regard to the main plot, why get bogged down with five or six pages of dialogue?

On the other hand, some of the 'literary greats' used exposition and inclusion to such an extent, they are, in my opinion, the most boring writers I have ever had the misfortune of reading.

In essence, what I am saying is that I have a plot, along with specific scenes that develop the character into a real person, with all the human foibles you would expect, yet to get there without getting bogged down and losing the interest of the reader, I have to use a fair amount of 'inclusion' to keep the plot moving.

I hope that makes sense, and I thank you for your patience.

Irvine

There may be trouble ahead

Gr8tS4g3's picture

I cannot help but be concerned about what will happen when the daughter of a weapon created to destroy GOO and the daughter of a GOO meet - Sarah Waite being said daughter of a Lust demon - it will be ...dramatic for sure.

The Nature of Monkey is Irrepressible!

I can't wait for Fiona to

NoraAdrienne's picture

I can't wait for Fiona to meet Fey... Anga danga is most likely going to recognize her new mother's taste in the vibes... I also think that Fi and the Goodthing are likely to do some investing together (with her guardians approval I'm sure). I foresee Fiona's measely 400 mil blooming to over a billion with a little help from a new friend.

ah, shopping ...

giggles.

DogSig.png

Try repeating that after....

Sammi's picture

.... A Jovian Sunspot or two!!!

'Her Highness, The Royal Princess of the Court of the Moon, Grand Duchess of the Evening Star, Countess of the Twilight Shadow, sub-Leftenant Fiona Siobhan McCloud'.”

I feel sorry for Fiona
I think Freddie said it best 'Who wants to live forever?'

Love the story, can't wait for the next episode.....

QDOS on the B5 ref.

Recipe for JOVIAN SUNSPOT.

-Ice
-1/4 cup Cream of Coconut
-3 tbsp Bottled Cranberry-Apple Juice
-2 tbsp Orange Juice
-2 tbsp Vodka (Suggested Addition)

P.S.

I am left wondering if Sara Waite (Kellith) and her daddy Gothmog, may have issues with our new heroine, as they're GOOs???


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

A wonderful and very

A wonderful and very interesting story. I do love your plot concept and look forward to new chapters as you present them to us. HAPPY NEW YEAR. Janice Lynn

loving it

zulu mack's picture

Great story

This story is of to a good start

Its going to get really interesting when she starts meeting with the Team Kimba crew. Fiona's first meeting with Fey wil be interesting. And her meeting with Sara, who being the daughter of a Great Old One, will likely result in some rather interesting interaction. This could be especially entertaining if Fiona should ever meet Sara's father who happens to be a Great Old One. The possible interactions here could go a lot of different ways. with Sara, her father and Fiona all in one respect or another all being Beings with powers based on lust, this could prove to be very interesting aand fun. I look forward o reading the future chapters.

Hugs,
Tamara Jeanne

Sound start to a Whateley episode.

Podracer's picture

Apart from the above mentioned potential for Embarrassing Relatives, getting Vamp as her first school friend bodes. I can't find a suitable word for what it bodes so leave one of those breathless verbal mis-steps that follow when your friend with the stammer can't spit the word forth. It probably won't be restful.

"Reach for the sun."

Great Chapter

Looking forward to reading next chapter

Vamp

Tas's picture

I get the feeling that this story is going to be really fun. There is so much opportunity for Fiona to interact with many of the characters in the Whateley universe given her background. She and Vamp seem like they will get along pretty well given their powers and personality, but there might be some clash between the rest of the people there, especially Sara.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the story a lot :)

-Tas

Just a quick comment on Naval rank structures.....

D. Eden's picture

As an officer in the US Navy Reserve, I should point out that there are no Second Lieutenants in the Navy. The proper rank is Ensign, then Lieutenant Junior Grade (or JG), and the Lieutenant.

The rank of Lieutenant in the Navy corresponds to the rank of Captain in the non naval services, with the rank of Lieutenant JG corresponding with a First Lieutenant in the non naval services.

The insignia are the same, a single gold bar (or butter bar) for Ensign and Second Lieutenant, a single silver bar for Lieutenant JG and First Lieutenant, and two parallel silver bars (or railroad tracks) for a Lieutenant (naval) and Captain (non naval).

A Captain in the Navy is equivalent to a Colonel in the non naval services, and both wear the same insignia.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

amazing story

love peace and more love!!!