Jessica's Story - Part 3

Printer-friendly version

Jessica's Story - Part 3

Anne's relationship with her husband deteriorates further, as she confronts him about his sister. She decides to help Jessica on her journey alone if need be, and arranges an appointment at a gender clinic. An awkward encounter at the local park results in Jessica making a new friend.

Jessica's Story – Part 3

Anne went to bed that night with the events of the day on her mind. Her son Peter was now seemingly headed for a new life as Jessica. Tomorrow would likely see him as Jessica all day. The day after (Monday) would see Peter returning for school. She was afraid, for him and for herself, the fear of embarrassment if anyone discovered that Jessica was not really a girl, the fear that Peter could be hurt as a result, either by tormentors or by himself – Sally's predicament came to mind. It would be so much better if Peter decided he didn't want to be a girl after all. But she'd seen the look on Jessica's face, it had looked so much more happier than Peter had ever been.

There was then the case of her husband, so passionately hateful of his sister and now of his own son. It was partially his fault that Sally almost committed suicide. She wished he would be more accepting of his son, with it now being clear that he wished to be a girl. She was prepared to support him, his sister had apparently been supportive of him for some time. She had always noticed that they had been close, and now she knew why.

She had only just put him to bed, putting his wig on the cupboard by it. Looking at his room, she realised that he might want it redecorated, to suit the tastes of Jessica. The toys and clothes that he now seemed to be getting rid of still had potential use – they would do for Edward. Her younger son was growing up fast. In 18 months or so, he would be starting school.

“You're making a big mistake by letting him do this.” said Adam as he entered the bedroom.

“I don't think so, if anything, you're making a mistake by rejecting him. He needs our support more than ever, and you know it!” she retorted.

“Me making a mistake? He's making the mistake of thinking he's a girl!” Adam countered.

“You didn't see him today, when dressed, he behaved as though he'd been a girl all his short life. What they say about 'girls being trapped inside boy's bodies'? I'd say our Peter fits the bill perfectly.” she snapped.

“You surprise me, I thought you knew better than this?” he said, getting ready to turn in.

“Well, I don't want blood on my hands, think yourself lucky you haven't got any on yours!” she replied.

“What do you mean?” he said, not fully understanding.

“The sister you so enthusiastically disowned almost died because of your family's objections! She contemplated suicide on more than one occasion!” she said, not believing his tone.

“So what? My dad would have been around a while longer.” he said.

“I can't believe what you're saying, you are telling me that you would have let her take her own life?! Surely suicide through bullying can be considered as murder?” she said, utterly appalled.

“Murder? How can suicide be murder?” he said.

“I'm sorry, but that attitude is one I cannot accept. Keep this up and it won't be just your son you'll be losing.” she said coldly. She got into bed and went to sleep. He looked at her in wonder at that, but saw that an answer was not quickly coming.

With Adam not being at work, Anne was keen to take Jessica and Sandra out somewhere. After his comments last night, she now sought to help Peter more than ever. Petty hatred was one thing, but actually wanting one of your own kin dead, that was just plain evil. She wanted to show Adam that her threat of divorce was no bluff either.

It was just handy that a large park was not too far away. Peter was glad to pick out another Jessica outfit and put on his wig. Anne got the pushchair ready and collected Edward to put in it. Jessica and Sandra announced themselves ready and the family, minus Adam, made the not too distant walk to the park.

Upon arrival, they headed for the play area, with the swings and roundabout. Anne found a bench and sat down, taking turns to watch her two daughters and keep an eye on Edward. It was a pleasant day in April, the month drawing to a close. She was pondering what to do next, an appointment at the specialist needed to be booked and she needed to contact these support groups. Peter wasn't the only one in need of help – she needed help too.

“Can you give us a push please?” called Sandra. Anne got the hint and came over with the pushchair. Parking it close to the swings, she went over and gave the two girls a push. She was worried that Jessica's wig might come off, but it seemed to be holding on well. Still, she had her concerns and decided not to push too hard on her swing.

“I want to go higher!” cried Jessica, noticing that Sandra was being given extra pushes.

“I don't want your wig coming off.” said Anne, trying to keep her voice down. There was nobody else about yet.

She made an effort to try and get her as high as possible. But her fears came true, to a point – the wig did almost come off. As soon as it was clear that it was coming off, she stopped the swing and quickly adjusted it. Thinking that nobody saw what had happened, a thirty something old woman came along, her own daughter at her side.

“Sorry if I'm being rude, but why's your girl wearing a wig?” she asked.

Anne just looked at her, thinking that she was indeed being nosey.

“If you want to know, she has had to have her hair cut short and she couldn't bear to have it that way so we got her a wig till it grows out again.” she hastily said.

“Sorry, I'm like that at times.” replied the woman. “I shouldn't have asked.”

“No, she's got cancer, I don't like talking about it, but she can't bear to have no hair!” added Anne.

“Oh, I'm so sorry, I apologise.” she said. She went over to Jessica and wished her well in her “fight”.

Anne was relieved that her lie had been bought. However, the woman sat on the bench and watched her own daughter play on the slide. After a while, the girl went over to Sandra who was now over by the roundabout.

“Hi, I'm Kelly, what's your name?” she asked brightly.

“My name's Sandra, that over there is my sister Jessica.” said Sandra.

“Mommy told me she was ill.” said Kelly. “I hope she gets well soon.”

Sandra looked at her and wondered what was going on. She looked to Anne with a look which said “Whats going on?”. Kelly noted this and started to probe this further.

“You ok? You don't know your sister is unwell?” Kelly asked.

“I didn't know.” replied Sandra, still looking confused. She was glad when Anne turned up.

“Is Jessica ill, mommy?” said Sandra, hoping to have this matter resolved. Anne saw the problem and made the best to rectify things.

“I didn't want to tell you, but she is.” said Anne. They noticed Kelly now heading for Jessica.

Anne just looked in horror, what now? She quickly turned back to Sandra.

“I lied just now, Jessica is just fine. That girl's mother noticed Jessica's wig slip and I couldn't tell her the truth.” she said quickly, now realising that the lie had caused a huge problem. She ran over to where Kelly was just introducing herself to Jessica.

“Hi, my name's Kelly, I've just been speaking to your sister. I'm sorry to hear you are poorly, I really hope you get better.” she said.

“I'm not poorly, I've had colds in the past, but I'm ok now.” said Jessica, puzzled. Her answer left Kelly puzzled too.

Anne arrived too late, the damage had been done.

“I'm so sorry I lied, I had to protect you!” she gasped as she approached them.

“You told this girl that I was sick?” said Jessica, not amused.

“So, what is going on?” asked Kelly. Her mother had noticed the confusion and had come to see what was up.

“Mommy, this girl isn't sick!” said Kelly.

Kelly's mom looked at Anne sternly.

“If your daughter isn't sick, why did you tell me so? You should be ashamed of yourself!”

“I'm just afraid to explain the truth, that's all. You see, my daughter there, is really my son. He wishes to be a girl.” Anne said, looking regretfully at Kelly's mom.

“You're telling me that that girl is really a boy? I don't believe it.” she replied.

Kelly just looked at Jessica with wonder. Sandra had come over to see what was up now.

“You want to be a girl?” said Kelly to Jessica, her voice was full of curiosity. She started to look at Jessica more closely.

“Yes.” said Jessica. “It appears that a lot of people don't like people like me.”

“Why not?” asked Kelly.

“My daddy thinks I should be a boy and I think I should be a girl.” said Jessica.

“Well, you look more like a girl. I think you are right and your daddy is wrong.” said Kelly. This made Jessica smile.

The two mothers had headed for the bench and sat down.

“So, you've just started letting him dress like this?” said Kelly's mom, to Anne.

“Yes, it's all my decision, my husband is totally against it. I was against it at first, but this for now, appears to be the only solution.” Anne replied. “I'm sorry for the deceit, I shouldn't have said what I said, but seeing how most people view those like my son, I was afraid of anyone finding out.”

“Well, if it wasn't for the wig, he would have fooled me. It appears he is very much at home like this. I'm not familiar with this in any way, but I'd say he's better off as a girl.” she said.

“Well, it seems you are going to know him, I mean her, a bit more.” said Anne pointing.

Kelly was now chatting with Sandra and Jessica, clearly indicating a friendship was in the making.

“By the way, my names Julia, Julia Brier. We've only just moved here and Kelly was desperate to make new friends. It seems your two are the first.” said Kelly's mom.

“Oh, I forgot.” pointing to the young boy in the pushchair. “This is my youngest child, Edward. My name is Anne Brook. My eldest daughter is Sandra and the one who wants to be a girl is Jessica.”

“See you've got a name for her then? Don't bother telling me her original name, I think it best if I didn't.” said Julia.

“I'm gonna have to still use that name though, for now. He still has to go to school as a boy. He'll become Jessica again at home. Though he's restricted to upstairs for now.”

“And whys that?” asked Julia.

“I've told you, my husband is against this. He has a sister, who was once his brother, who he has disowned. He seems desperate to keep Jessica as a boy and won't see her like this.”

“I see, but surely he knows that he has lost the battle? I can see from here that Jessica is very much a girl.” said Julia.

“I know, when I saw her dressed like that for the first time yesterday, I thought the same thing. My son really is a girl.” she replied, trying not to cry.

* * *

“Jessica, I must admit, you don't look like a boy.” said Kelly.

“Good, because I don't want to. I feel like a girl inside and I'm enjoying looking like one.” said Jessica.

“So, you are wearing a wig?” she asked.

“Yes, I'm waiting for my own hair to grow. Seems like ages before it will.” Jessica said impatiently.

Kelly was a bright and cheery girl, her blonde hair down her back in curls. Her desire for friendship was apparent as she was keen to have Jessica and Sandra as friends.

“Hair always takes a while to grow. Mommy says it took ages for mine to reach this length.” Kelly said, stroking her hair as she said it.

“So, what do you like? Dolls or cars?” she aimed another question at Jessica.

“Dolls, of course, I am a girl.” said Jessica, sounding a little offended at what she deemed a silly question.

“You mean you always play with dolls? You really are a girl.” she said, looking impressed. “So you'd enjoy the dolls house I've got.”

“You've got a dolls house?!” put in Sandra. “I've always wanted one, but I've been told they cost too much.”

“I'd like to show you it, both of you. I've never had any friends to play with.” said Kelly.

“Which school do you go to?” asked Sandra.

“We've only just arrived here, I'm starting the school just over there, I think.” she pointed in what she believed to be the direction.

“Greenfields?” suggested Sandra. “That's where we go.”

“Yes, I think that's the name mommy mentioned. You go there too! Great!”

“They go to the same school, mommy!” shouted Kelly, running up to Julia.

“It appears that the school I've managed to get Kelly into is the one your daughters go to.”

“Well, that's great. What year are you in?” said Anne.

“She's a first year.” said Julia.

“Well, that means she's in the same year as Jessica.” said Anne.

“Well, she may have a friend in class then!” said Julia. “Nice meeting you, hope all goes well with your son.”

After saying goodbye, she called over to Kelly and they walked off.

“You seem to have made a friend then?” said Anne walking over to them.

“Yes, but I'm still wondering why she didn't make a fuss over me being a boy?” asked Jessica.

“Mmm, all I can think of is that children are more open minded. Willing to except things more.” said Anne.

“She's got a big dolls house and she would like us to see it!” said Sandra.

“That's nice.” said Anne, now pondering why Julia had been so accepting of Jessica too.

They spent another half hour in the playground before leaving. Anne decided to leave going home till a while later. She took them to the local shops where among those that were open was a newsagent. She brought them all an ice lolly, with a small tub of ice cream for Edward.

“Do I have to go to school as Peter? I really don't want to.” said Jessica.

“I'm afraid you must, that can be said. I'm still to get you this appointment with a specialist.” said Anne.

“Oh, but I can still be Jessica afterwards?” she replied.

“Yes, of course you can sweetheart.” Anne replied. “Oh dear, looks like Edward needs his nappy changing. We'll have to go home girls.”

* * *

They finished their lollies and headed home. When they arrived, they found the house empty.

“Where's daddy?” asked Sandra.

“I don't know, but he's gone out somewhere. Go upstairs you two, while I see to Edward.” said Anne.

They went to Sandra's room and played with her dolls. Anne arrived a while later.

“I like to see both of you in the tub before the night is over. Jessica, you especially. Your hair is going to need washing more as it grows.” she said to them both.

Both ended up in the bath together. Anne told Peter to stop talking about his lower part and just get on with washing himself. The wig had been removed and he had felt his hair, hoping for some improvement.

“Your hair will grow, just give it time. It doesn't grow over night.” said Anne to him, on noticing him touching it.

Both had long finished having their baths when Adam finally walked in.

“Where have you been?” Anne asked.

Adam just looked at her. “Does it matter? I could say the same about you?”

“I just took the kids to the park, it was a nice day and I thought they ought to enjoy it.” she said. “So, you now know where we've been, now answer my question.”

“I've just been out, thats all.” he grumbled, heading to the living room with the the days newspaper under his arm. Anne looked at him with concern. He was hiding something.

She went to start on dinner, noticing that he continued to reside solely in the living room, his head hidden behind the newspaper. He had started being ignorant to her since telling him that she was going to dress Peter as a girl. His attitude however, especially his remarks about Sally, had not prompted her to end this situation.

As usual, it saw her have dinner in the kitchen with the children and he alone in the living room. It was cause for concern for the children, who despite knowing the reason for his continued snubbing of their company, still wanted him in their lives.

The next day was going to test Peter's resolve. Since getting the wig and experiencing life as Jessica in the open, going back to being a boy was going to be a test. His school uniform (several pairs of trousers, shirts and jumpers) had been kept aside from his other boys clothes, which had been put in the loft. All the clothes in his bedroom now were those belonging to Jessica. He certainly felt a little at unease at putting on the clothes and his face certainly showed.

“Don't worry sis, you can wear something else when you get back!” said Sandra, who was getting used to using the female term.

“Don't call him that at school will you?” said Anne, overhearing. “Your sister is right though, after school, you can be yourself again.”

Adam made a rare appearance moments later, and just looked at Peter. He was dressed for work and had just picked up a slice of toast to eat on the way.

Anne took the children to school and before letting Peter out, reminded him about being a boy for now, and that she was going to sort out an appointment to see the specialist that day.

It felt strange to him to be dressed as a boy, though it had only been just last week when he had done so previous. He soon met his classmates and they asked him how his weekend had went.

“I went out and got some new clothes on Saturday and went to the park on Sunday.” he said truthfully.

“New clothes? Why, getting bigger are we?” asked one boy.

“Mom says I'm growing, she's just buying them early.” he said, seeming to find an excuse easy.

The bell rang, ending the talk, and they headed for class.

“Good morning children!” said Miss Bell, their teacher. “We have a new student to welcome today. I would like you to say a nice warm hello to Kelly Brier.”

Peter recognised the girl at once, her long blonde hair and warm smile set her apart. After the class had welcomed her, she went and sat at a table on the far side of the room. She glanced over and noticed Peter. He noticed her look but wasn't sure whether she had recognised him. He got his answer at morning break. He was, as always, with Sandra.

“Hi Sandra, who's your friend?” said Kelly as she noticed the elder Brook child.

“This is Peter, my brother.” she replied.

“Peter? I know about Edward. But you never mentioned Peter.” asked Kelly.

“This is Jessica!” whispered Sandra, into Kelly's ear.

“Oh! That's why I thought you looked familiar in class today. You do look different.” said Kelly.

“Ok, now that you know, can you please keep it secret, really secret!” said Sandra.

“Pinky swear?” suggested Kelly, to which the other two nodded.

“Ok, do you solemnly swear never to tell anyone about Peter and Jessica?” said Sandra, holding Kelly's little finger with her own.

“I do!” she replied. After releasing fingers, she turned to Peter. “I think you look better in a skirt.”

“Don't, you're making him blush!” said Sandra, noting that her brother had gone a little red.

“Sorry Peter, but I'd like it more if Jessica came over to my house instead.” she whispered to him.

“What was that?” queried Sandra.

“Well, you know I'd like you and Jessica to come to my house.” Kelly told her.

“Oh, well, we'd have to talk to our mommy first. But we do want to visit.”

“Ok, just tell me and I'll arrange it with my mommy.” said Kelly.

Meanwhile, at the Brook's house, Anne was doing her daily routine of keeping house and looking after a young son. After deciding that a break was needed, she retrieved the paper from her handbag and picked up the phone.

“Hello, I'd like to book an appointment for my son.” she said.

“One moment.” came the voice on the other end. “Hello, Westside Gender Clinic, how may we help you?”

“Hello, my name is Anne Brook and I'd like to see someone concerning my son. He wishes to be a girl.”

“How old is your son?”

“He is 6.” said Anne.

“One moment.” the voice called again. “We can arrange an appointment on Thursday at 12:00pm. Would that be ok?”

“Can't you arrange one for the weekend? I don't want him missing school if necessary.” said Anne.

“You're in luck, 1:35pm on Saturday. Could I please take your details.” said the voice.

Anne gave over her address and phone number, before writing the appointment on the piece of paper.

“Is that all?” asked the voice.

“Yes thanks.” said Anne. “Bye.”

“Bye.”

“Ok, that's sorted. Now I just need to find a means of contacting these people.” she said to herself, looking at the support groups that had been written down.”

She decided to head to the library and use one of their computers. It did mean taking Edward with her. She booked up the computer and then went and found a few picture books for Edward.

“Ok, I presume this is how you do it?” she said to herself as she clicked on the mouse.

She went and typed in the web address and pressed enter. The screen came up with a message that didn't look good.

[This site has been blocked due to contents of a mature and sexual nature.]

“This isn't a porn site, surely?” she thought. She entered another address and the same thing happened. She went over to the counter and asked why these websites were blocked.

“Its to do with public interests.” explained the librarian. “That is, any website which contains information/photos of a sexual or sensitive nature are banned.”

“But these are for transgender support groups! They're not porn sites.” she said to him.

“You are looking for support groups? We do have information for them. He went and took her to a shelf in the health section. There was a box of leaflets labelled “LGBT”.

“Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered.” he explained and showed her some of the leaflets. She took some of the leaflets and looked at them. There was one group that was nearby, but it was around the back of town.

“You can take some if you want.” said the librarian. She did so, and went back to the computer. She wanted to see if any other sites were blocked. She found a few more and decided to quit. She went back to the counter.

“I think you need to reestablish which sites to block. I'm trying to help my son and perhaps are many others. For those who depend on this library, I think you need to be more helpful.”

With that, she collected Edward and headed for the car. Looking at the time, she decided that it was best she headed to the school first to pick up the girls. She realised that seeing Peter as a boy was getting harder after the last few days.

* * *

“Kelly, that girl we met yesterday, she's in my class.” said Peter as he got in the car.

“So, you must be pleased.” said Anne.

“Yes, though she likes Jessica better.” he added.

“That bad?” asked Anne.

“No, I like Jessica more too, I mean I am her. She wants us to see her dolls house.” said Peter.

“You or Jessica?” said Anne.

“Jessica, who'd do you think.” he smiled.

“Well, I see why not, you were getting on fine with her yesterday. By the way, you've got an appointment on Saturday, to see a doctor.”

“I'm not sick mom.” he added.

“You want to be a girl? This doctor can help you.” said Anne.

“Oh!”

They arrived home to find the place empty. “Adam must be working over.” thought Anne. Peter dashed upstairs and changed into some girl clothes, before putting on his wig.

“You're in a dashing hurry? Let me straighten that wig out for you.” said Anne as Jessica arrived downstairs.

“Welcome back sis!” said Sandra, giving her a hug.

They headed for the kitchen where Anne poured out glasses of fruit juice for all.

“So, with this trip to the doctors on Saturday, I suppose we need Jessica to go and not Peter.” said Anne.

“Where is this doctor?” asked Jessica.

“A long way away.” said Anne.

They just sat at the kitchen table and talked. Anne was now finding it impossible to see Jessica as anything but a girl. But this was no longer causing her concern. Jessica was full of life and great company. Helen was right when she suggested that Jessica was more than compensation for the loss of Peter. The only company that was being missed was Adam. His absense from their lives due to his stubborn refusal to accept Jessica as his daughter now seemed to be getting an added twist: 3 hours had passed since they'd come back from school and he had yet to turn up.

“What is keeping him? He's never been this late, even when working over.” thought Anne.

By now, the girls had gone upstairs to play. Anne decided to start on their dinner. It was nearly 7:30 when he eventually turned up.

“Where have you been? They can't have been working you that late?” she asked him.

“They have, my hours have been extended and I'll be late every day from now on.” he said, looking tired. “So, whats for supper?”

“Look in the freezer. I've done the kids their tea.” she said. It was clear she didn't want to do any more cooking that day.

“I've got to cook it myself?” as he went to the freezer.

“So? Doesn't hurt, does it?”. She went and turned on the small tv that was in the corner of the kitchen and began to watch her favourite soap. He picked out a microwave meal and looked at the instructions closely.

“Category E oven.” she said as he looked to her for help.

“You're still mad at me?” he said to her eventually.

“Why shouldn't I be? Life is precious, even of those you hate.” she said, her mood darkening.

“So, does this mean you are still protecting our estranged son?” he said, ignoring her mood.

“Protecting him? Oh, if you mean from people like you, yes. Just for once open your eyes and see the truth: he is a girl in mind and hopefully, one day, in body too.”

“Rubbish!” he cried.

Anne didn't reply. She was now absorbed in the soap opera. Adam just had to be content with watching the microwave timer steadily counting down. He glanced over at her and shook his head.

He was just putting his dinner on to a plate when Anne turned the tv off and turned to him.

“I'm gonna take a bath now, then I'm going to bed.” she said and headed upstairs.

“Time for bed, you two.” she said as she passed the bedroom doors.

“Ok mommy” came replies from both.

Adam just sat and ate his meal in the kitchen. He turned on the tv and switched to something more to his taste.

* * *

He did indeed come home late every day that week, roughly at 7:30 in the evening. Anne took his word for it that his hours had been increased. The week went without further hitch for Peter/Jessica.

On Wednesday, Peter was approached by Miss Abbot who was on playground duty that particular day. It was the first time she had seen him since that fateful meeting with his parents. She was keen to see how he was coping. She was surprised when he told her that his mom had turned to helping him become a girl. She decided not to probe further, but was now hoping to see him one day coming to school in a skirt.

Friday was the day that saw Jessica and Sandra fulfill their promise to visit Kelly's house. After a quick trip home so that Peter could become his female self, they set off.

The Briers were very welcoming indeed, both of them, that is. When asking about Mr Brier, Julia told Anne that they had split – he had found another woman. She and her daughter had decided to make a fresh start and move. The Briers lived in a small house which showed all the signs of someone who had recently moved in. The ground floor had just the living room and kitchen while upstairs had two bedrooms and the bathroom. The furniture was sparse and had obviously come with them.

Kelly wasted no time in taking Sandra and Jessica to her room. It was not much bigger than either of theirs, so they were surprised at the size of the dolls house. It filled nearly a quarter of her room. She opened up the front and gave them a tour, introducing them to the dolls that “lived” there. She then introduced them to her other larger dolls. She especially noted how much Jessica was enjoying this.

“You are definitely a girl, no boy would enjoy playing with dolls.” she said. “Can I style your hair?” she added, now holding a brush.

“If you mean her wig, yes.” said Sandra. “Do mine too, we do each others, don't we sis?”

“Yes!” said Jessica.

“Have you tried pigtails?” asked Kelly.

“I did once, mommy did it for me.” said Sandra “Jessica hasn't though.”

“So, Jessica, you don't mind?” asked Kelly.

Jessica didn't object and her wig was put into pigtails, placed fairly high on her head. Soon all three had their hair in similar fashion. They decided to show their creations to their mothers.

“Well, don't you look pretty!” said Julia upon seeing all three. “Anne, here's further proof that Jessica is here to stay.”

“You look wonderful with your hair like that. Just think how good it will be with your own hair.” said Anne, smiling at her.

“Well, I shall go and prepare dinner.” said Julia. It had been arranged for them to stop for dinner too.

“Well Jessica, you are doing your utmost best to get rid of Peter.” said Anne, looking at the pigtails once more.

“I like this style, but I suppose it would be better with my own hair.” she admitted.

“It would, for you can't feel the wig. With your own hair, you'd feel the hair held back.”

“Does it hurt?” asked Jessica.

“No it doesn't, provided you don't tie it too tight. Trust me, once your hair is truly long, you'll be wanting to style it differently everyday. Us girls are spoiled when it comes to our hair.” said Anne.

“I want it really long, longer than Sandra's.” said Jessica dreamily.

“Oh, I don't know about that, she already has a good lead on you and I'm sure she'll be eager to out do you.” said Anne playfully. Sandra gave her a look which had agreement written all over it.

“You'll have wonderful hair anyway. Look after it and you'll be the prettiest girl around.” said Anne.

“What about me?!” came Sandra and Kelly in unison, mock disgust in their voices.

Dinner soon arrived and talk was put on hold for a short while.

“So, the talk is still about hair?” asked Julia after dinner.

“Yes, Jessica wants her own hair long now. If she had a magic wand, she'd do just that.” said Anne.

When the time came to leave, Kelly begged them to return – soon!

“So you're taking her tomorrow? Well, you're doing the right thing.” said Julia, referring to Jessica's appointment at the gender clinic.

“If all transgendered people are like Jessica, then the overall view of society is very much wrong.” admitted Anne. “She's taught me that for sure.”

* * *

Peter was awoken early next morning. “Jessica! Time to get up, we have a long trip ahead of us.” called Anne, in a low whisper.

Peter got up and got dressed, putting on a dress and then putting on his wig. He went downstairs to find Sandra up too.

“Your dad isn't into baby sitting at the moment. So I've not only got to take you to this doctor, I've got to take care of your brother and sister too.” said Anne, looking a little annoyed.

Edward was in his high chair with his breakfast. Sandra was still a little sleepy.

“This place I'm taking you is a good distance away.” Anne told Jessica as she tucked into her cornflakes. “And being as I've got all of you to look after, I suppose I'd better make a day out of it.”

“So where's daddy?” asked Sandra.

“Still in bed. And what he plans on doing being as I've got you lot to look after, I couldn't care less.” said Anne, still a little grumpy. She made them finish breakfast and led them to the car.

“Lazy cow! Some parent you are!” she said under her breath, looking at her bedroom window as she got in the car. She put on her belt and drove off.

It was a long journey, so Sandra and Jessica passed the time playing I-Spy and tickling Edward, who was inbetween them in his child seat.

“Are we there yet?” said Sandra, who was now getting bored.

“Not far to go, just need to watch the roads so I don't make a wrong turn.” said Anne.

They entered a town and started going down some of the back streets. Anne looked at the directions she had been given over the phone. Soon she noticed the building: Westside Gender Clinic. There was a car park on site which was handy. She found a space and got the children out, plus the pushchair.

“This is not a creche!” said the receptionist as they entered.

“I'm here for an appointment for my son.” Anne said, pointing to Jessica. “I've been left to look after my other two children by my husband, hence them being here.”

“Oh, I'm so sorry, I'm certain we have a place to look after them. Mary?” she called to a nearby nurse. “What's your name by the way?”

“Brook, Anne Brook. My son is called Peter and the appointment was for 1:35pm.” said Anne.

“Ok, let me see.” said the receptionist, looking on her computer. “Oh yes, you're to see Dr. Anderson. Please take a seat. Ah, Mary? Could you find somewhere for Mrs Brook's two children.”

“Of course, come this way.” said Mary. She took the pushchair and and lead Sandra into a nearby room.

“They'll be ok?” said Anne, looking slightly worried.

“Don't worry, Mary will take care of them. I do apologise, we do have children in from time to time. Help yourself to drinks by the way.” said the receptionist.

Anne looked at her watch, they had half hour to go. She just put an arm around Jessica.

“Don't worry, your life as a girl is only just beginning.” she reassured her.

“We don't get many patients her age, if I wasn't aware she was a boy, I'd have said she was a girl already.” said the receptionist smiling.

The time went by. Soon a nurse came through the nearby door. “Peter Brook? Dr. Anderson will see you now.”

“Come on then.” said Anne leading Jessica towards where the nurse stood.

They entered an office.

“Hi, I'm Dr. Jill Anderson.” said a woman in her late 30s/early 40s, with long reddish brown hair.

“I'm Anne Brooke, this is my son Peter.” said Anne, introducing Jessica. “Jill? Not like the actress?”

“I do get that, 'Wheres Mulder?' all the time. My name begins with a J however. So, you are Peter, but that's a strange name for a girl?”

“I'm Jessica.” replied Jessica.

“Ah, thats a better name. Please, take a seat.” offering chairs to both.

“So, Jessica, how long have you wanted to be a girl?” asked Dr Anderson.

“Ages.” she replied.

“My son is 6, he only came out just a couple of weeks ago. But his dressing up may go back a while. I only found out because I caught him playing with his sister in some of her clothes.” said Anne.

“Ok, so you've had these feelings for a while. Is this your own hair, or is it just a wig?”

“It's a wig, her own hair is still short. I'm letting her grow it out.” said Anne.

Dr. Anderson was making notes on paper. “So, he has been dressing in his sisters clothes, but then it was just in her bedroom I presume?” said the Doctor.

“Yes, so I cannot say how long she had been doing it. Since she came out, I've let her dress outside school and during weekends.” said Anne.

“Well, that helps. It's the only way to determine whether or not they truly want to change gender. You will need him to eventually live full time as Jessica. Only then can we be absolutely sure.” said Dr Anderson.

“So that would mean having him attend school as a girl?” asked Anne.

“It would. However, I'm not saying right now. We have other cases very similar to yours and we often suggest they start at the beginning of the school year, in September. No, the move to full time can't be done overnight. You say he dresses up fulltime weekends?”

“Yes, I've put all her boy clothes in the loft, except her school uniform items. When she gets home from school, she's upstairs and swapping her clothes.” said Anne.

“So, Jessica, if your mom will let me, can I just ask you some questions?” said Dr. Anderson.

“Yes.” said Jessica, though a little unsure.

“When you are with your sister, what games do you play?”

“I play tea parties with her dolls and we do each others hair, and we dress up our dolls.” she replied.

“So you don't like boys' toys then?”

“No.”

“So, if I offered you the choice of a football or a doll, which would you choose?”

“The doll.” replied Jessica.

Dr. Anderson went and got two dolls from behind her desk. Both were naked. One was clearly male and the other was female.

“Which one shows the body you want?” she asked Jessica showing her the dolls.

“That one.” said Jessica pointing to the female one without hesitation.

“Thank you Jessica.” said Dr. Anderson. “For now, it would appear that your son does indeed have a strong case of Gender Dysphoria or Gender Identity Disorder. I still recommend that you have your son live full time at some stage.” she said, turning to Anne.

“So he is a girl?” said Anne.

“He most certainly thinks like one. For now, all we can do is allow him to dress and live as a girl. Only when he reaches puberty, can we discuss things further.”

“I think I ought to know what will happen then, now.” said Anne.

“Well, if by the time puberty comes along and he still wishes to be a girl, we can put him on some testosterone blockers. This will stop him developing like a man. Only when he reaches the age of 16 can we prescribe female hormones.” said Dr. Anderson.

“Whats pooberty?” asked Jessica.

“Puberty!” said Anne, smiling at the mispronounciation. “Its when a child becomes an adult. Boys become men and girls become women.”

“I want to grow into a woman.” said Jessica.

“You will do, I promise.” replied Anne. “So, is there anything else you can tell us?” she said to Dr.Anderson.

“Just to say that when you decide to have him go full time, you'll need to change his name by deed poll.”

Anne still looked a little worried. “What's the matter Mrs Brook?”

“My husband is not going to like this. He hates transgendered people. His own sister is one. He's been trying to get Jessica to be more like a boy since we found him cross dressed. I suppose I might as well admit I used to think the same way.”

“What you're saying isn't new. We get this a lot. Many of our patients have been disowned by friends and family. If it wasn't for you, a lot of them might not be here today.”

“So, you think I'm doing the right thing?” said Anne.

“How is your husband reacting to all this?” asked Dr. Anderson.

“He has been remote, hides in the living room all day and leaves me alone with the kids. He refuses to see Jessica as you see her now. I just wish he'd realise that his son is more happier as a girl.”

“Well, that's a shame. Just wish there were fewer people like him. I'm glad for your son that you're there for him. So, I'll take it that you'll consider full time at the end of the school year? Just let me know when you do. And hopefully, by then, you won't need that wig.” she finished off by turning to Jessica.

“When can I lose my willy?” she asked innocently.

“When you are a lot older, I'm afraid. Just concentrate on being a good girl for your mom for now.”

Jessica didn't like that. She wanted it gone as soon as possible.

“So, goodbye then Mrs Brook, Jessica.” said Dr. Anderson.

“Goodbye, and thank you.” said Anne, as they left the office.

“So, does this mean I am a girl?” said Jessica as they left.

“Well, you think so, and I'm pretty sure Dr. Anderson thinks so too.” said Anne.

“Goody! Does that mean I don't have to be a boy any more?”

“For school, no, you still need to be a boy. But maybe in September, you can go as a girl.” answered Anne.

Anne asked for Sandra and Edward at reception. Mary brought them out. Sandra had been doing some drawing and had got the picture with her. She showed them the picture: a queen, two princesses and a baby prince. Anne just smiled at the “family picture.”.

“Mommy?” asked Jessica once more.

“Yes dear.” said Anne.

“Was she right about my willy? Do I have to wait till I'm older?” said Jessica.

“Yes, she was. Any more questions?” she said, as they returned to the car.

“No.” said Jessica.

“I suppose theres no way of hiding it for now. But please, be patient. Dr. Anderson wanted you to be a good girl for me.” continued Anne. “Ok, we'll stop off in town and have something to eat. Then we'll head home.”

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hi! Very Nice Story

Except for Adam and most of his family. I don't know if it would be better for Adam and Anne to see a 'parents of trans kids' councilor or a marriage councilor. Maybe an M2F marriage councilor could do it. 8-)

OTOH, Adam needs a T blocker, maybe some oxytocin and indoctrination into liberal Jesus-ism or Tibetan Buddhism. (My impression is the other forms of Buddhism, also nationalistic, can support war, so probably macho-ism).

I'm not sure I understand this sentence:

>> Many of our patients have been disowned by friends and family. If it wasn't for you, a lot of them might not be here today. <<

It would make sense if you were plural, but up to this point in their conversation, when the doctor said 'you', she was only referring to Anne. Anne is saving Jessica, but, I don't think, has saved anyone else. Maybe you, Rachel, could say: "people like you."

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Adam does get dealt with.

I don't want to spoil things, especially as a big development happens in Part 4.

Spoiler

you sound like me when i finish a chapter when i end with to be continued

Wolf_0.jpg

"But please, be patient. "

hard to do that. And there is going to be a blowup at home soon ...

DogSig.png

I have only one issue....

... I love the writing and enjoy the story(ies)... My issue is with the age thing...... It's awfully young to be thinking the way this is going.... Perfectly fine to allow and encourage the dressing at this age but Jeez.... counsellors and specialists getting involved is way toooooo soooon. Let the boy have fun and enjoy his dressing. Let his siblings get used to his being a girl.... let his Father see it's making him happy..... Then, if it goes well, there's plenty of time for social and medical services to be used to help as a decision approaches before puberty rushes at him.... But that is YEARS away!!!! Hold back, and enjoy!! xx

Jessica's story part 3

I am loving this story very much
I can relate to this story i know what itis like to live a double life it is a constant battle with yourself