Michelle's Story - Part 1

Printer-friendly version

Michelle's Story - Part 1

Michael Brook is the youngest of 3 children, and cousin to Peter/Jessica (Jessica's Story). Just like his cousin, he wants to be a girl. Unlike his cousin, his parents are not transphobic, and his Aunt Sally is always a welcome guest. However, his shy, sensitive persona has resulted in his older brother James becoming pushy towards him, hoping to make him less of a target for bullies.

Michelle's Story – Part 1

John Brook had moved to Newcastle just after marrying his wife Liz. The reason for the move was work: the post of a chief computer analyst was too good to turn down. Still, it had been a wrench to leave his native Midlands, where his family still dwelled, for the far north east. He still kept in touch with them though, well most of them, by means of telephone. The only member who broke this rule was his younger sister Sally, who occasionally made the long trip north to visit.

Since the move, he had become a father to three children: eldest son James aged 8, daughter Emma aged 6 and the youngest being son Michael who was nearly 5, named after John's own late father. John was keen to let his children know about their relations down south and so on occasions, he arranged trips for them to see their grandmother and Aunt Sally. The only relations they didn't see were the family of his brother Adam.

John's younger brother Adam was not on general speaking terms with him. He did occasionally phone him, but not very often. Their relationship had strained a good deal since a few years ago. The reason behind it still weighed heavily on John and he hoped that the incident that caused the rift would never happen again. One result of this incident was that John had become more open minded, and certainly more than Adam.

However, John was to learn in the upcoming months that lightning was about to strike again, not once, but twice.

His oldest child James was in his 4th year at primary school, while daughter Emma, who was 2 years younger, had only just started. This was due to her birthday being in October. She had to wait almost 12 months to begin school and had just celebrated her 6th birthday. Michael was in a similar predicament, his birthday was in November. He was just a year younger than Emma and his 5th birthday was approaching.

Michael shared a room with James. They slept in a bunk bed, with James taking top bunk. Michael had moved into the room when he had become big enough for his own bed and the bunk bed had been acquired for space reasons. Michael was not arguing about who should take which bunk, and having decided that the top bunk was too high for his liking, gladly took bottom bunk instead.

It was clear from an early age that Michael was more sensitive than his brother and was rather shy in front of strangers. John and Liz were not bothered, for they believed that once he started school and made friends with boys his own age, his shyness would wear off. Michael spent the days watching television and reading books (John and Liz were keen to get their children reading as soon as possible, to give them at least one head start in school.). Of his usual viewing, one television show had caught Michael's attention and that was a cartoon show called Ben 10. Seeing that he was hooked to the show at least gave John and Liz ideas on what presents to get him for his birthday and for Christmas. What no one realised, was that Michael's favourite character was not Ben or any of his alien alter-egos, but his red haired cousin Gwen. Though he liked the show in general for its action, he was drawn to the character of Gwen. If he were to be any character in the show, he would want to be her, for Michael secretly wished he was a girl.

* * *

So Michael shared a room with his brother James. They got on well, though James seemed to make it clear who was boss. Being older made James believe he had authority over Michael and he often pointed out things that he deemed un-boyish in Michael. Michael wasn't exactly un-boyish, he was just shy and withdrawn. The only reason why James seemed concerned was over school. Though Michael had yet to start school, James feared that he would quickly become a target for bullies. James was not for bullying and didn't want to see his brother get hurt. But Michael thought he was just a little too pushy in trying to make him more boyish.

One thing that James pointed out was the fact that Michael still took a teddy to bed with him. Michael was fast approaching his 5th birthday and James was making it clear that the time to stop taking teddies to bed had come.

“You should give that bear up. You're getting too old for it.” said James, not for the first time.

“I don't want to. I like Teddy.” said Michael. “You've still got yours.”

Michael was right. James still had his own bear, but it had sat on the top shelf in their room for the last few years. He was dusty and grubby. Though James hated to admit it, he occassionally took the bear down and gave it a hug. Sleeping on the top bunk of their bunk bed meant that his bear was always in plain view.

“I know I still have mine. But I don't take him to bed any more.” said James. He hated talking about his own bear, simply because he couldn't hide the fact that he still loved it.

James had told his parents about Michael's bear, only to be told that he was worrying over nothing.

Michael's relationship with his sister had also been very good. They used to play board games with their mother during the day and read together. All that changed when Emma started school just a couple of months ago. It was no real surprise really. Emma had longed to play with other girls, and school offered her that chance, seeing that she had no sisters to play with. Now, armed with friends, she either visited their homes or invited them around to her house. Playtime with Michael was now very limited.

Since Emma had started school, weekdays had seen Michael stuck at home with his mom. She found him no trouble at all, for he was always watching the television or reading a book, while she did the housework.

“I should imagine you've watched every episode by now?” she asked him one day.

He was watching Ben 10 again, on one of the cartoon channels. They aired the show several times a day but never in any particular order, so he'd seen some episodes more than others, never mind having 2-part episodes being broken up, seeing part 1 only to have another episode entirely, shown afterwards.

“I still like watching them.” he replied, as he watched Four Arms wasting some enemy robots.

“I see Tom and Jerry is on afterwards, so I'll come in and watch them with you.” she replied, checking the channel schedule with the remote.

So, after a double-dose of Ben 10, mother and son watched the legendary cat and mouse duo for a hour.

“It feels strange with just you here.” he said at last.

“It's only for a few hours each day, and if I need to go out, you can come too.” replied Liz.

So, that became the routine, with Michael becoming close to his mom. She didn't mind his sensitive side at all, unlike James.

“Bro, you need to behave like a boy. At school, boys like you get beaten up and called sissies. I don't want to see you getting hurt.” said James, one day.

“But I don't start school till next year.” said Michael.

“Whatever, that gives you plenty of time to learn.” added James.

Michael wasn't in a hurry to learn whatever James called “boyish behaviour”. He was well behaved and had always been neat and tidy. He had merely copied his sister's behaviour. All he wanted now was to have his hair like hers. Emma had long dark brown hair, just like her mom. But James had told him that long hair was for girls and sissies.

“You are not a girl, and you don't want to be a sissy.” said James.

James had brought this up to his parents but had been brushed off on every occasion.

“Michael, what James said is true to a point.” said Liz one day. “I haven't got a problem with your hair, but others do. I know it sounds unfair, but society does try to put us all in a particular place.”

Michael was not quite clear on the last point. Still, he wanted to have his medium brown hair longer.

* * *

It was November and Michael's birthday had arrived. He awoke to find his parents sitting in the kitchen with his cards and present: a set of Ben 10 pyjamas. He opened his cards before eating his Frosties.

“One from gran. One from Aunt Sally.” he said, cards in one hand, spoon in the other.

As he opened them, his parents looked at them and put them on one side.

“We'll put them on the wall for you. Tonight we'll have a birthday tea for you.” said Liz.

“Yes son, have a great birthday.” said John, who was now heading for work.

Michael still had to get dressed, for he had to go on the school run with Liz, who drove his two siblings off to school. When they got back home, Liz turned to him and smiled.

“Ok, birthday boy, I'm going to take you to the park, and then to McDonalds for a Happy Meal and an ice cream. That sound ok?” she said.

Michael just smiled and nodded.

“But don't tell James and Emma.” added Liz.

“Why not?” he asked.

“They'll get jealous. Anyway, we're going out again on Saturday.” she replied.

He didn't quite understand what jealous meant but agreed not to tell his siblings.

While they were out, Michael decided to ask his mom about what James was always telling him.

“Mom, James thinks I'm a sissy.”

Liz looked at him and smiled.

“He has mentioned it to me and your dad, but I don't think you're a sissy. You are just a kind sweet young boy who behaves himself and your dad and I hope you remain just that. Just be yourself and ignore James.”

Michael felt comforted by his mom's words and enjoyed the rest of his day out. Later that evening, when the rest of the family were back at home, they had the promised birthday tea, culminating with the birthday cake – Ben 10 of course.

That night, as they were preparing for bed, Liz turned to John, wishing to mention what Michael had asked earlier.

“Michael mentioned his concerns over James today.” she said.

“What about?” asked John.

“You remember, James thinks Michael is a little soft, a sissy.” she replied.

“Oh that. What did you say to him?”

“That he shouldn't worry. I just think James is getting ahead of himself.” said Liz.

“It's the other kids at school I presume. They have this thing about being “cool”. Being cool means that you get on fine with others. Being uncool makes you bully fodder.” said John.

“So you think that James is worried about Michael being uncool?” asked Liz.

“Either that or he doesn't want to be seen with a shy insecure boy for a brother.” said John. “Kids are becoming too prejudiced all too quickly nowadays.”

* * *

Michael had become curious about what Emma did when she had her friends around. He was unable to find out, for the meeting place (Emma's room) was strictly off limits to boys.

“Go away! No boys allowed.” said Maddy, one of Emma's friends as he tried to see what was going on.

“Sorry bro, only girls.” said Emma. “Play with James if you're bored.”

Michael went to find James.

“Don't worry bro.” said James. “Theres only girls stuff in there, nothing really interesting to us boys. All they do is talk dollies and dresses.”

Despite James' words, Michael would eavesdrop by her door whenever she had friends around. He almost got caught one day, but got away when their whispers were loud enough for him to hear. By the time Emma had opened the door, he had gone. As a result, he kept his eavesdropping to a minimum.

Christmas soon approached and this meant one of the rare trips to see the rest of the family, namely his grandmother Helen and Aunt Sally. Though they went whenever possible (school holidays), Christmas was always chosen.

John usually phoned up to see when they could go, seeing that Adam usually took his family to see Helen over Christmas too. He didn't want to meet Adam if he could help it, even if the rest of his family (Adam had three children too.) were alright. John would have liked his children to meet their cousins, who were of similar ages to them. All he hoped was that Adam's children didn't take after their father. He had little idea that there was no chance of that happening.

The trip was planned, with them to spend Christmas Day at Helen's house, Adam's family were visiting on Boxing Day. They packed in the morning, requiring just the bare essentials (change of clothes, children's pyjamas and some toiletries) before setting off around midday.

The journey down the M1 saw them stop twice, once for toilets and the other to have something to eat. The day ended with a night at a motel. This was the difficult part, firstly as the booking had to be done well in advance and then because of the dates. Most places were shut Christmas Day.

“Ok, I'll go and get us some supper and then we can get some shut eye.” said John after they arrived at their motel.

He went round to the motel shop and bought some crisps, cakes and bottles of pop. A simple supper if anything, but it was just to tide them over till morning.

“Ok, get some sleep and be up early.” said Liz, tucking the three of them in. The room they had rented for two nights had two double beds and two singles. John and Liz naturally took one of the double beds, James had the other to himself, while Emma and Michael took the singles.

Early next morning, they got up and washed before having breakfast. Due to the day, they had brought their own breakfasts with them (milk in a cooler box). After that, they headed for the car and completed the remainder of the journey and arrived at Helen's house.

When they reached the front door, it was Sally who opened it.

“You're here already?” asked John.

“Yeah, came to give mom a hand with the dinner. Anyway, Merry Christmas bro.” she replied.

“You too sis.” said John, giving her a hug.

Sally then turned to the children. “So, how are my favourite nephews and niece?” she asked them.

“Merry Christmas Sally.” said Liz, after the children had gone in.

“And to you Liz.” said Sally. “I've said it before, but it must be wonderful to have kids.”

“It is.” said Liz. “Might even try for one more.”

Sally could only dream of having children. Only her siblings and mother knew why, the children were completely unaware. Hopefully, one day, they would find out, and accept her. But for now, they just loved seeing her.

Helen was in the kitchen, preparing the vegetables. She paused to greet the visitors.

“Merry Christmas son.” she said to John. “And to you Liz. As for you three, I suppose you're waiting for something?”

“I'll get them, mom.” said Sally, who was now venturing upstairs.

“Well, make yourselves at home.” said Helen. “Unless you want to help me in the kitchen?”

“Sure, why not. Anything need doing?” asked Liz.

“Just need to finish peeling the potatoes. All the others are done. Turkey has just gone in.” said Helen.

“I think I need to go back to the car.” said John. “Just need to fetch a few things.”

The children sat down in the living room patiently, admiring the decorations that had been put up.

“Well, here we are. Someone dropped them off in the early hours. Seemed to know you were going to be here.” said Sally, carrying a couple of carrier bags filled with presents. She sat down and placed the bags on the floor, now aware of the three pairs of eyes that were eyeing them greedily.

“Ok, this ones for James.” she said, taking the first parcel. James took it.

“What do you say?” said Sally.

“Thank you.” said James, apologetically.

“Thats ok, just remember.” said Sally.

Emma and Michael were next and did remember their manners. They soon had more presents to open as John came in carrying a few more.

James had received a football and scarf from his parents while Sally and Helen had bought him a replica shirt for Newcastle United.

“Didn't have to go to Newcastle to get it either.” said Helen.

Emma had received a new dress and a new doll while Michael was happy to find more Ben 10 themed presents: an annual, a t-shirt and the complete series one on DVD.

“So, whats this Ben 10 about?” asked Helen. “Some cartoon I presume?”

“Yeah” said John. “Young boy with magic wrist watch becomes various aliens and fights bad guys.”

“That's Omnitrix, not wrist watch.” said Michael.

“Whatever.” said Helen.

Helen and Liz went to the kitchen to continue with dinner. The children were still admiring their presents. John decided to go into the hallway to speak privately with his sister.

“Any news on Adam?” he asked her.

“No. I would not rather speak about him.” she replied. “After what he did. Yes, I know, it would be nice to make up with him, but there is no sign of that.”

“He's coming around here tomorrow, isn't he?” said John.

“Yes, he is.” said Sally. “Though I never really want to see him, I'd like to meet his wife and children. From what mom has said, they're really nice.”

“His children are really nice, I can vouch for that. Anne is not too bad. Maybe takes after him.” said Helen, who had come over, having overheard their conversation.

“He has three, hasn't he?” asked John.

“Yes, Sandra is the eldest, then Peter, who has just started school and then Edward, who is the youngest.

“Our Emma started this year too.” said John.

“She looks just like her mom.” said Sally.

“Just like you do.” said John.

“Why thanks. You never said that when I was younger.” said Sally.

“Well, you didn't have long hair then.” said John.

“I had a reason for having my hair short then. I'm glad it's not short now.” said Sally.

“You look much better for it too.” said John.

“I quite agree, Sally.” said Helen. “Ok, I'm going back to the kitchen.”

* * *

Whilst waiting for dinner, John put on one of Michael's new DVDs to watch. James, now wearing his new football shirt decided to watch also. Emma was busy playing with her new doll.

Dinner soon arrived however, and they sat around the table and caught up on family affairs.

“I hear you've just started school, Emma?” asked Helen.

“Yes gran and I'm enjoying it so far. Made a load of friends already.” she replied.

And what about you Michael?” asked Helen to the youngest boy.

“He starts next year.” said Liz. “And just like Emma, he'll be nearly 6 too when he does.”

“How's Uncle Adam?” asked James all of a sudden.

“He's fine.” said Helen. The subject of Adam never usually got mentioned in front of the children. However, they had heard about him.

“It's just that we've never met him.” said James. “Dad has mentioned him from time to time.”

“I have.” admitted John. “James, your uncle and I had a row a few years ago and we don't talk a lot now. It would be nice though if we didn't row.”

“Lets all pull crackers, shall we?” said Helen, hoping to change the subject.

It worked, but James was still not satisfied and seemed likely to ask questions again.

After dinner, Sally got John alone again.

“Do you ever plan on telling them?” she asked him.

“I do, but when they are older.I want them to understand you and what you've been through.” he replied. “They see you for what you are, a wonderful woman and my sister, and that for now is good enough. I want them to know that people like you should be treated with as much respect as everyone else.”

“Thanks bro. There are not enough people like you around.” she replied, hugging him.

“Well, you have me and mom.” said John.

“One thing, I don't understand.” said Sally, now turning to Helen, who had just walked past. “Why do you put up with him?”

“I know you hate him for what he did, but he is still my son. Whether or not he will ever apologise, I do not know, but I let him visit, just to see his family. I really hope his family do not take after him.” said Helen.

“Well, I come round quite often.” said Sally. “So whether he checks first before arriving himself.”

It was known to them that Adam wouldn't tolerate Sally's presence and refused to mention her in conversation.

“I would too, but for us living so far up north” said John.

“Why don't you come back?” asked Helen.

“Work, that's the simple answer. I moved up there for that job. Besides, the kids know it as home and are happy.” replied John.

“You can tell they come from up there, they've got the accent.” said Sally. “Though Michael's isn't that strong.”

“Emma's accent isn't that strong either, but school has played its part. Liz and I still have our old dialect and that has rubbed off on them. At school, they've met local kids and picked up the local tongue.” said John.

“How are your kids anyway?” asked Sally.

“Doing fine. Emma has loved school just because she can be with girls. With two brothers and no sisters, you can understand. Michael is still in his shell and a little sensitive. James is concerned about it, says he isn't boyish enough.” said John. “I think he'll be ok once he starts school.”

“Some boys are like that, but as you said, they do come out of their shells eventually.” said Helen.

“Well behaved though, isn't he?” asked Sally.

“Couldn't ask for more.” said John.

The children meanwhile were in the living room. Michael had got another of his Ben 10 DVDs on while Emma, with the help of her mom, was now wearing her new dress.

“It really suits you darling.” said Liz.

“I really like it. I want to show my friends when we get back home.” smiled Emma.

Helen was now entering the room carrying two cakes that needed thawing out.

“Anything on the television?” she asked.

“I just thought I'd watch another disc.” said Michael.

“You've got plenty of time to watch them, and surely your sister wants something to watch.” said Helen.

“Come on Michael. Your gran is right. Lets see if theres any films on that we can all watch.” said Liz.

Michael sighed and allowed Helen to stop and remove the disc from the player. After some quick channel hopping, they found Finding Nemo just starting and decided to watch that.

After the film had finished, Helen went and made sandwiches, followed by the cakes that had been brought in earlier. After further eating, drinking and talking, the time had come to say goodbye. The children were reluctant to leave.

“Say goodbye to your gran and aunt.” said Liz to the children.

“Goodbye.” came three voices at once, sounding disappointed that the day had come to an end.

“It's not the end of the world.” said Sally. “You know I come and visit now and again.”

“Goodbye sis, mom.” said John, hugging each in turn. “We'll try and visit again as soon as possible.”

“Goodbye John, Liz. Have a safe trip home.” said Helen.

“Goodbye bro, my only brother.” said Sally.

As John and his family got into the car and made their way back to the motel, Helen and Sally stood on the doorstep, waving them goodbye until they were out of sight.

“Pity they live so far away.” said Helen.

“Yes.” said Sally. “Apart from you, they are the only family I've got.”

“Have you ever thought of finding someone?” asked Helen.

“I don't know. I've only had one serious relationship. I just don't know if I'll find anyone else.” sighed Sally.

* * *

John and his family were soon heading back to the motel. It was getting late and they were getting tired.

“Well, did you three enjoy yourselves?” he asked the children.

“Yes.” said Emma. “I love this dress and my doll. I'm going to call her Sally after Aunt Sally.”

“I think she'd be honoured.” said Liz.

“Yes, I enjoyed it.” said James.

“Me too.” said Michael.

“Well, get ready for bed. Long trip tomorrow.” said Liz.

As she went to her bed, Liz turned to John.

“So, Adam is still unchanged in his opinions?”

“Yes. I cannot forgive him for what he did to Sally. I was no better though.” he replied.

“Does his family know about us?” asked Liz.

“I suppose so. Our kids know of him, so I can't imagine why not the other way round.”

John couldn't imagine what was going to transpire at his mother's house the following day. Adam, his bigoted brother, had had one of his prejudices reawoken and was not in a good mood.

The following morning, they left the motel early after breakfast. After visiting the petrol station for refuelling, they set off up the M1. A good many hours later, they arrived back home.

“Ah, home at last.” said John. “Not that I don't miss my roots.”

“I'll put the kettle on and then head down to the chippy for some dinner.” said Liz.

“Thanks love. Make mine pie and chips.” said John.

Liz put the kettle on and then headed out down the road.

John was glad to put his feet up, only to find himself turning the kettle off a few minutes later. After Liz arrived with the late suppers, did everyone relax and eat. After that, everyone was keen to get some sleep.

Over the next week, going into New Year, Michael had viewed his DVDs several times. He found it better watching them on DVD as it meant no adverts during each episode and being able to watch the shows in the right order. He also discovered that a sequel series was now being shown. This show took place a few years after the first show with the main characters now being older. Michael had also noticed that Gwen had given up her short hair and had grown it out.

“I wish I could have long hair.” he said one Saturday afternoon.

“Oh brother of mine, when you woke up this morning, didn't you notice that you are a boy?” said James. “I've already told you, only girls wear their hair long.”

“Not fair.” retorted Michael.

“Is fair.” said James.

“I want my hair long and one day I will.” said Michael grumpily.

“Your funeral.” said James, heading back to his room.

Michael ignored him and turned to watch the television again. It was the television that came to his defense. Among the shows that were broadcast, most were from America. Not cartoon shows, but live action shows. He noticed that some featured boys not much older than him, with slightly long hair. He waited till the week was upon them before mentioning it.

“Mom, can I have long hair?” he asked Liz.

“You want long hair?” she replied, somewhat surprised. “I only thought girls wanted long hair.”

“Well boys have long hair too.” he said. “Seen them on television.”

Liz had to watch one of the shows herself to realise he was telling the truth.

“Well, their hair isn't too long. If you want your hair like that, you can have it that way.” she said.

Michael beamed a smile that shouted “thanks!”

He told James that afternoon about it.

“But boys don't have long hair!” he cried.

“Do too. And mom says its ok.” he smiled.

James went to Liz to get confirmation, which he got. Though not pleased about it, he said nothing more.

Over the next few weeks, Michael was allowed to grow his hair. John was slightly puzzled but didn't object. The only rule was that his hair was kept to a certain length and kept in a boyish style. Even the barber admitted that longer styles were coming into fashion.

“Its all the go in America. As soon as they reach their teens however, they get it cut short.” he replied.

While James was finding it hard to accept Michael's new hair style, his parents were actually beginning to like it. Even Emma had to admit to liking it.

Even so, Michael wanted his hair longer than the length he was allowed. Even so, he kept it to himself. He didn't want to upset his brother.

* * *

So, as the weeks went by, the family lost interest in the length of his hair and nobody bothered him about it.

“So, how's my sister?” asked John over the phone. They hadn't spoken since Christmas and it was now late February.

“Fine, busy thats all. The shop has had some new super strength hormones in. I still think people should see a doctor if they want to go the distance, having done it myself.” said Sally.

“So, who uses them?” asked John.

“Cross-dressers and those who wish to pass as women for work, drag queens and the like.” replied Sally. “How's your family?”

“Not bad. Michael has started growing his hair out – some new boyish trend he picked up off the telly. Looks really good actually.” said John.

“Growing his hair? Well I never. The things boys will do nowadays.” replied Sally.

“Yes, I knew a boy who grew his hair long.” said John.

“I know that story too well.” said Sally. “But don't go there, please.”

“You know I won't.” said John. “No other news?”

“No, mom is just fine and I'm enjoying life as ever.” said Sally.

“Well, bye then.” said John.

“Bye bro.” said Sally.

Sally wasn't being entirely honest and had omitted news concerning Adam. She had been told by Helen to keep the news to herself, not to pass it on to John. She knew how the tension between her brothers was and understood why her mom had forbid her to tell him.

Easter arrived and it was a case of making sure the children didn't get sick by eating too many chocolate eggs. If that wasn't the case, there was James' birthday to take care of. John already had an idea and thought that Emma and Michael would like it if they were included.

With another school holiday, it meant that Michael enjoyed his siblings company a bit more. Emma continued to have her 'girls only' club in her room, with her friends coming around several times in the two weeks. Some of them giggled at Michael's hair. He just ignored them.

A week after the holiday came James' birthday. Being an avid fan of Newcastle United, James felt a little downbeat about not ever going to a match. John was about to change that. He bought 4 tickets for the home game nearest to his birthday. The idea was for himself, James, Michael and Emma to go.

Emma wasn't keen on football, but accepted the ticket nonetheless. Michael was with his sister on this one. He had never shown an interest and this gave James one further reason for concern. He too, like his sister, decided to go along to the match.

“You never know, Michael. You may get hooked to the game.” said John.

“I won't.” said Emma. “I'm just coming for the day out.”

On the day of the match, only James was fully kitted out in black and white, wearing the shirt he had for Christmas. The others wore black and white scarves. John still had a soft spot for the team he supported as a boy so didn't go over board in the Newcastle colours.

There was a good turnout for the match and John told the children to stay close. He bought a match programme and led them to their seats. They didn't eat anything, as John had promised to take them to McDonalds after the game.

They sat and watched the two teams warming up, with James able to identify most of the team, having seen them play on the television. Emma and Michael were not up to speed however and needed John or James to explain one or two things.

During the match, James and John were the more vocal of the group, though John felt a bit bad about some colourful chants that were being sung, especially about rivals Sunderland. Michael and Emma, despite not being keen fans, did cheer and jeer throughout. The game ended in a 1-0 win for Newcastle, much to James' delight. They headed for town afterwards to get their promised burgers and fries.

“So, you two, what did you think?” asked John to Emma and Michael.

“I enjoyed the game, but I don't think I want to go often.” said Michael.

“It was alright, but I'm not bothered.” said Emma.

John had expected Emma to be unkeen but had half thought Michael would be hooked. He put his disappointment to one side and bought the meals while the children found seats.

“So, you didn't like it?” said James in disbelief.

“I didn't say that.” said Michael. “I'm just not that interested.”

“Ok, so Michael isn't a keen fan like you.” said John, arriving with the meals. “Can't force him to like football.”

“But they'll take the mickey out of him at school. All the boys follow football. Ok, so some support the big teams, bloody show-offs.” said James.

“Not all boys follow football. You probably haven't met one yet.” said John. “And enough of the swearing.”

“Sorry dad, but some think they are so cool because they support Man Utd or Chelsea. London is miles away.” said James.

“That has been a problem for ages. People always want to follow the teams with trophies.” said John. “The media don't help either. They follow the money.”

“Who did you support as a boy?” asked James.

“Walsall.” said John.

“But they're a league one team.” said James.

“You sound just like a glory seeker. They were my local team. Your grandad used to take me to every home game. I've got no problem in you following Newcastle because it is your local team.”

“Sorry dad. I didn't mean too.” said James.

“At least you don't need a road map pointing to Manchester. Most Man U fans do. Costs them more to get there than it does to get them in the stadium.” said John.

James sniggered. He hated Man United “fans”.

“So, I guess you'll like a season ticket for next season?” asked John.

“Would I?!” said James. “Of course dad!”

* * *

Nothing more was said about Michael not liking football. He continued to watch the television and read books. He was proving a quick learner.

“He'll be top of the class at this rate.” said Liz.

“No harm in that.” said John. “Not many kids like reading nowadays.”

Later that week, they got a visit from Sally.

“Don't mind if I stay the night?” she said.

“You're welcome to.” said John.

“Thanks bro. I thought I'd make the trip being as I've got the week off work.” she said.

“Well, there are some children in the living room who would like to speak to you.” said John. “I suppose you'd like a drink?”

“Would love one.” said Sally, now heading for the living room. “Hi kids.”

“Aunt Sally!” cried Emma, running to meet her.

“Hello there. Looking as pretty as ever. Michael, like the hair. Your dad told me about it.” said Sally.

“I think its too long.” sighed James.

“Well, I don't think so. If girls can have short hair, why can't boys have long hair?” said Sally.

“I don't want short hair.” said Emma.

“I wasn't saying you should.” said Sally. “By the way Emma, is that another new dress?”

“You like it?” said Emma.

“Her wardrobe is packed.” said Liz, coming in from the kitchen. “She loves clothes.”

“Doesn't every girl?” smiled Sally. “So James, still following football?”

James responded in haste and was soon giving an account of his only match to date and how his dad was going to get him a season ticket in July.

“And you Michael, still like this Ben 10?” she asked him.

“Yes, dad got me some more DVDs too.” he replied and retrieved another boxset from the shelf.

“Season 2.” read Sally, looking at the box. “How many series did they make?”

“Three I think.” said John. “Of course, he wants that one too, plus theres a new Ben 10 too.”

“New one?” asked Sally.

“Yeah, the characters are older.” replied Liz.

“Do you want to watch some?” asked Michael, now eager to play a disk.

“Not at the moment. Maybe later. I am stopping the night.” replied Sally.

“He's already watched them several times.” whispered Liz.

It was hard to believe that Sally had indeed once been male. To the unknowing eye, she was female in every aspect, down to her dress sense, her mannerisms and her voice. John could hardly believe it too, but had grown to love the sister he had gained. So much more full of life than the young man she used to be. It was beyond doubt that she had found her place in life.

This wasn't the first time she had stopped the night. She often did, for the journey was long and tiring and she enjoyed their company. She was a natural with children, which made the fact that she couldn't become a mother in her own right, all the more difficult.

“If a way of making you pregnant ever happened, would you take it?” John had asked her one day.

“You know I would. To be a mother is something I've always dreamed of.” she said.

The other problem she had was the stigma of being transsexual. Gay men didn't want her because she was post-op and most declined her because of her past anyway. She was bisexual (though she considered herself more lesbian than straight) and had had close encounters with both men and women but only one became serious. She had for now, decided to remain single.

After dinner, she gave in, just to keep Michael happy and watched one of his DVDs. Emma decided to show off some of her other dresses and James decided to lecture her futher on Newcastle United.

“I think I might take some time off and let you take care of the kids.” said Liz. “I think you handle them quite well.”

“I would, but I can't afford to travel up here that often, plus there is work.” smiled Sally. “Though I'm sure the kids would love me to stay more often.”

The children made it clear that they would. This was hopefully part of making the children understand what she was. They only knew her as a woman and would hopefully continue to see her in that way when they learnt the truth.

Sally spent the night in the spare room, which had been fitted out as a guest room. Sally was the only person who ever used it so far. She was in no hurry to start out the following morning and enjoyed breakfast with the family (Emma and James were getting ready for school) and waited till Liz had come back from the school run before leaving. Michael even decided to stay behind just to spend a few more minutes with her.

“So, you chose to grow your hair?” she said to him. “You do see boys with long hair now. Back when I was just a young girl, it was quite common.”

Michael seemed intrigued.

“Well, don't let it get too long or people might think you are a girl.” she added.

Michael just nodded and said nothing.

“Always the shy one. Don't worry, you'll be just fine.” she smiled, giving him a hug

When Liz returned, Sally accepted the offer of another cup of coffee before heading home.

“Bye sport.” she said to Michael, giving him another hug. “Bye Liz. Hope to see you again soon. Give my love to John.”

“Will do. Have a safe trip.” said Liz.

“Bye then.” said Sally, getting into her car.

“Its hard to believe she was born male.” thought Liz, as she watched Sally drive off. “Those people who hate the transgendered haven't took the time to know one personally.”

up
133 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

“Its hard to believe she was born male.”

“Those people who hate the transgendered haven't took the time to know one personally.”

if it only was so easy ...

DogSig.png

Michael's instincts are right....

Get the hair right and those around you will THINK that something is going on..... Get the hair better and they'll KNOW but probably accept..... Get the hair pretty and they will definitely accept the clothes that go with the hair when courage is summoned up to reveal the girl within. Good luck Michelle! xx

Looks like Aunt Sally just

Looks like Aunt Sally just might be mentoring two new nieces shortly. The two mums, Sally, Emma, Jessica, and Michelle all need to have a girly week to themselves.

If only it were that easy -

If only it were that easy - the two families live 250 miles apart. Still, they do get together on the odd occasion.

Great Story

I believe I did read it at Fictionmania. What a great story both Jessica and Michelle. It would be great if they had an American cousin. Oh well, I might combine Tarja and Sawyer and maybe another two characters...when they meet at a family reunion.
Strange things do happen at family reunions.

TGSine --958