Jessica's Story - Part 8

Printer-friendly version

Jessica's Story - Part 8

October arrives, and Anne ends up in more hot water, when she and Julia decide at the eleventh hour, to spend the night together, resulting in Kelly sleeping over at the Smiths. The month ends with the children getting together at Julia's house for a Halloween costume party.

Jessica's Story – Part 8

September was soon over and October had arrived. The weather was noticeably colder and signs of two months to go were already about.

“Some shops had this lot ready at the end of August!” said Anne, as they were walking round the shops one weekend.

She was referring to the Christmas decorations that the shops were now selling. Halloween items were also being pushed at customers too, but at least that was mere weeks away.

“And before Christmas is over, they'll be pushing chocolate eggs in your face!” said Helen.

Despite what the shops were now promoting, they were not buying for December's big day. Anne had decided just to take the kids out for the day. It was also a means of getting their minds off their hair, Jessica especially.

“You'll be needing to put your coats on from now on if the weather gets any colder.” she told the children, before realising a small problem.

“I haven't got a coat yet.” said Jessica.

“Oh bummer, Peter had a coat, but you don't.” she said, feeling a little uneasy at saying Jessica's old name. “Well, come on then, lets get you one.”

Soon Jessica was leaving a store with a pink hooded jacket and a pair of matching gloves.

“You are really are a girly girl, aren't you?!” said Sandra, to which Jessica just smiled. “Mommy, you gonna get me something?”

“You've already got a coat. You don't need another.” said Anne. “But later I'll stop off at a cafe and get you something to eat, ok?”

Sandra was still a little glum.

“Cheer up, your sister has yet to get a full compliment of clothes yet. Remember she has some catching up to do.” said Helen.

To cheer them up, Anne bought them a hot pudding, as well as dinner, from the cafe too: jam sponge and custard.

“Are we doing anything else?” said Sandra, sounding bored.

“What else do you want to do?” asked Anne.

“We could buy some more DVDs. Those back home, I've lost count of how many times we've watched them.” said Helen.

“Will that do?” asked Anne.

“There's that new Disney film, 'The Princess and the Frog'.” said Jessica.

“Jessica says yes, Sandra?” asked Anne.

“As long as I have a choice too?” she replied.

“Ok, two DVDs then.” said Anne.

They left HMV with Jessica's choice plus Aladdin.

“Anything with Princesses in!” said Anne.

They returned home and watched both films back to back.

“Kelly will be arriving at around 6:00. I presume you'll be ok?” said Anne to Helen.

“Sure, I think a light supper and 4 kids will be easy enough.” said Gran

There was another LGBT meeting going on and to save on petrol, after she had dropped Kelly off, Julia was taking Anne to the meeting herself. Helen still had a feeling that Anne still felt strongly for Julia and that they might be doing more than just attending a meeting.

“Hi Kelly, glad to see you!” said Jessica as their one best friend rushed through the door to greet them.”

“Hi Julia, ready to go?” said Anne.

“Ready when you are.” she smiled.

When they got in the car, they waited for the front door to close before sharing a kiss.

“It's a shame it has to be like this.” said Julia. “Our daughters are just being a little unfair.”

“Can't blame them, they're too young to understand. Hopefully they will one day and we can be together.” said Anne, placing another kiss on Julia's lips.

“Well, better go. I'm sure your mom-in-law has her suspicions.” said Julia, starting the car. She glanced at the front window but nobody was there.

The girls were a little suspicious themselves. However, they kept the talk to a minimum and decided to watch the Princess and the Frog again (Kelly hadn't seen it).

“In the original tale, the girl didn't become a frog.” said Helen, commenting on the twist on the original that the film took.

“We can watch Aladdin again too afterwards.” said Jessica.

“Got that ourselves, the Genie is very funny.” said Kelly “But I love watching it, so what, put it on!”

After the first film had finished, Helen went to the kitchen and made some jam sandwiches for supper.

“So, this makes a change from doing one anothers hair?” said Helen entering the room with the sandwiches.

“We'll do that when the others are here. It's more fun then.” said Sandra.

* * *

Anne and Julia left the meeting having told everyone there that they had fallen in love. They had been told the problems once more that this could have concerning their children. When they got to the car, they just looked at each other longingly.

“I feel a bit bad about this, but I want to spend some time with you.” said Anne.

“Same here. If you're worried, I'll phone Helen and tell her we're stopping over at my place.” said Julia.

“But what about Kelly?” said Anne.

“I'm not worried, shes always talking about your two. I'm sure she'll be ok.” said Julia. “And at least it is the weekend so no school to worry about.”

“If you think that way, lets go.”

The girls were halfway through watching Aladdin when the phone rang. Helen went and answered it.

“Oh hi Anne. You're what?” said Helen in alarm.

“I'm stopping the night. I can't keep my feelings hidden, I love Julia and I want to spend the night with her.”

“This isn't fair on Kelly, she was expecting to go home tonight. What am I going to tell her?” said Helen, sounding annoyed.

“Tell her we'll be back in the morning.” said Anne, trying to keep her composure as Julia started kissing the back of her neck.

Helen put the phone down. This wasn't right at all. She had no problem with Anne's sexuality change but the timing of this arrangement was certainly a problem.

“Kelly, I've just had a call from your house. Your mom is picking you up in the morning.”

“Why not tonight?” asked Kelly.

“Because she wants you to spend more time with Sandra and Jessica.” said Helen, realising her lie was not water tight.

“You mean she and mommy are going to be kissing again.” said Jessica in disgust.

“You're right. It's no good hiding it. Your mothers are in love with one another, and it seems they are serious about it too.” said Helen with a heavy sigh.

“So if I'm to sleep here, which bed do I use?” asked Kelly.

“Maybe I have an idea!” said Helen.

The time came for them to go to bed. Helen led all three into Anne's room.

“Don't break anything in there while you're having fun.” she said to them.

“We won't!” said the girls in unison.

“So which drawers do we look through first?” asked Kelly.

“Not bothered!” said Sandra, as she started going through Anne's belongings.

Several drawers later and three girls were wearing clothes many sizes too big for them. They even went over to the dressing table and started applying make-up to each others faces. The results were those expected of young inexperienced girls.

“Lipstick tastes a little funny, but nice.” said Kelly.

“Looks a little funny too!” laughed Jessica, commenting on her messy lips.

Soon, they got tired, and as told, used Anne's double bed. They hadn't taken the make-up off either. Anne was going to get a shock when she returned.

As arranged, Anne was preparing to further explore her new found lesbian side. But first, they sat on the sofa and talked.

“Do you ever regret your divorce?” asked Julia.

“To be fair, no.” replied Anne. “It centred on my Jessica becoming a girl, and I stand by her. My husband wouldn't tolerate it, and after his comments about his sister, it certainly helped make up my mind.”

“I think you've done the right thing too. Jessica is a wonderful girl, just like her sister.” said Julia.

“She is.” said Anne.

“So, how long has it been since you made love?” asked Julia.

“Too long. Adam last made love to me just before Christmas.” said Anne.

“Let me end that run then.” said Julia, kissing Anne passionately.

Anne responded and soon they were heading upstairs and making love on Julia's bed. They awoke next morning embraced in each others arms.

“That was some night, I wish I could do that more often!” Anne said to Julia, giving her another kiss on the lips.

“You really are beautiful Anne.” replied Julia. “I really love you.”

“I love you too.” said Anne. “Oh, look at the time!”

Anne realised she needed to be at work. They got dressed, breakfasted and headed back to Anne's house as fast as possible. Kelly was waiting on the doorstep and made her way to the car as soon as it pulled up.

“I'll see you later then.” said Anne as she got out, giving Julia a quick kiss.

“Will do.” said Julia. “Hi sweetie, sorry about last night.”

Kelly got into the car and didn't say much.

* * *

Helen had made sure the girls had all washed before their moms came. For now, there was nothing to suspect.

“So, enjoy your night of romance?” said Helen in a dark tone.

“Yes, look, I'm sorry, I should have given you more warning, but seriously, I love her!” said Anne.

“More than your children, it appears.”

Anne went over to Sandra and Jessica.

“I'm sorry girls, I suppose I have been selfish. I really do love Julia.” she said to them. “I'm just going to take a quick shower and then I'll have to head for work.”

Helen and the girls waited for the inevitable. It came soon enough. Anne had gone to her room to take her clothes off when she saw her bed, unmade, make-up all over the pillows and her clothes all over the floor.

“WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO TO MY ROOM?!!!” came the cry echoing down the stairs.

She came racing down with a towel around her waist.

“It's gonna take ages if at all to get that mess off my bed!” she cried. “WHY?!!”

“It's my fault.” said Helen. “I was a little sore at your eleventh hour plan, plus Kelly needed a place to sleep. I had the three girls sleep in there. It seems they did a bit of dress up too.”

“Dress up? More like make up. Lipstick, foundation, mascara: on my bed, all over the dressing room table.” said Anne, crying.

“You take your shower. I'll clean up the room. I know how much you feel about Julia, but don't leave the children out of it. They have a right to know.”

“You're right. I'm sorry kids, I shouldn't have done what I did.” sighed Anne.

“We're sorry we hurt you.” they said together.

“Don't be, I deserved it.” said Anne, regaining her composure. With that she returned to her shower.

“Ok, you two, I'm just going to tidy her room. Just watch the telly for a few minutes.” said Helen

Anne went to her room to dry off. By then, Helen had changed the bed clothes and put the other clothes back in the drawers if they didn't need washing.

“I never thought I could love another woman, but Julia has proven me wrong. I want her in my life, as a lover. Last night was unforgetable, it was better than with a man. After that, I don't want another man.” said Anne.

“Well, if that is the case, the children must know. They just don't understand how love works at the moment. Just don't ask Julia to move in just yet.” said Helen.

“I suppose just dating will suffice for now. But the children must know how I really feel.”

Anne just managed to get to work in time that morning. She was fortunate that her shift started at 10:00 and not 9:00.”

Later that day, after returning from work and serving dinner, Anne got Sandra and Jessica in the living room.

“About last night. Julia and myself are, as you put it, 'in love'. I know that you are under the impression that women only fall in love with men, but they can fall in love with other women too.”

“Why?” said Sandra.

“I don't know why, but you just feel it's right. Just like Jessica knew deep down she was a girl, that's how it is.” said Anne.

“Does that mean I'll love girls too?” said Jessica.

“That's up to you. When you're older, you'll know what you want.” said Anne.

“Does this mean you want to kiss her all the time?” asked Sandra.

“Not all the time. Trust me, kissing isn't all that bad. You'll learn to like it.”

Sandra and Jessica were still not convinced.

“So, what is it to be?” asked Anne.

“If it makes you happy, then fine.” said Jessica.

“I guess it's ok.” said Sandra.

“Well, thank you! This means a lot to me. There is just one more thing though.” said Anne.

“What's that?” they both said, sounding put off.

“Don't tell anyone. Not just yet.” Anne said.

“Why? Something wrong?” asked Jessica.

“There are people who won't like me for loving her, much like your dad not liking you for being a girl.”

“What's wrong with loving someone?” asked Sandra.

“Some people don't like women loving other women or men loving other men.” said Anne.

“Men kissing men?!” said Jessica with disgust.

“It happens.” said Anne. “I'm leaving it at that.”

Anne left the girls to think it over. Helen came in to see how they were.

“Is it true, what mommy said?” asked Sandra.

“It's true. There's a lot of hateful people about, which is why you being a boy is best kept secret.”

“But some people already know about me.” said Jessica.

“But they are your friends and don't hate you. They've seen you for what you really are: a girl.”

“But how do you know if they do or don't hate me?” asked Jessica.

“You cannot tell, unless the subject of transgendered people is brought up.” said Helen.

“What's that mean? Trans..” asked Sandra

“Transgendered. It refers to people like Jessica, people born in the wrong body.”

“So I cannot tell if a person will hate me?” asked Jessica.

“Not unless you told them about yourself, and I advise you not to.” said Helen. “Just be thankful that you have some wonderful supportive friends already.

* * *

Jessica and Sandra kept their word about Anne's affair. Jessica only talked to Kelly about it, and then when they were alone, which was a rare occurance. Kelly had been given a similar lecture by Julia and too was keeping quiet.

At school, the girls continued to talk about hair. Their pact was still on and Rachel and Jessica were standing by each other for their much shorter hair.

“One way you can tell your hair is getting longer is by seeing how much of your ears you can see.” said Rachel. Like Jessica, her hair had been styled so that it would cover her ears.

It was down to their shorter hair that Jessica had made a closer friendship with Rachel. Both didn't like the continual reminders that their hair was far shorter than everyone else's.

Back home, Anne decided to show Jessica some of the websites that focused on transgendered children.

“You see, all these children are like you. You wouldn't know that those girls were boys and that those boys were girls.” she said.

“Girls who want to be boys?” said Jessica, a little put off.

“You get them too, nothing to fear. You and I know that you are a girl on the inside and that eventually you'll be one on the outside.”

“Will I get them?” asked Jessica pointing to Anne's breasts.

“Not immediately but you will. You'll need some special medicine for that though, but that won't be for a while.” said Anne.

“Can't I have it now?” said Jessica.

“Only when the doctor says so. Besides, next month, Dr Anderson wants to see you again.”

“I'll tell her I want them now.” said Jessica.

“Just be patient, life has been unfair to you and will continue to be so. Those children on the computer will have to wait also.” said Anne. “Oh, look at the time. Need to start dinner.”

The next few days went by. The sisters were not planning on having time off from school, but it happened.

“I don't feel so good!” said Jessica as she came downstairs one morning.

“Why, whats wrong sweetie?” asked Anne. She looked at her face and got the answer.

“Looks like you've got chicken pox. If so, no school for you young lady.” she added.

“But I want to go to school.” said Jessica.

Sandra came down with very much the same problem.

“Ok, to the doctors with you. I'll phone the school up and tell them you won't be in.” said Anne.

One phone call later and it was settled.

“Might as well wear something casual as you're not going to school. Eat your breakfast and I'll take you to the doctor.” said Anne.

“Don't fret, if it's the chicken pox, you've not got much to worry about. You're never likely to get it again.” said Helen.

“It itches!” said Jessica, attacking one of the spots on her arm.

“Don't scratch them, it'll make things worse.” added Helen.

Anne was waiting for them to finish. Once they had, they went to the doctor. They came back with the confirmation that a week off school stood before them. Anne had gone to the chemist to get the calomine lotion for them while they were out.

“Ok, you heard the doctor, no going outside and keep warm, and above all, no scratching!” said Anne as she ordered them to take their clothes off so that she could apply the lotion.

“Is it bad?” asked Sandra. “Ooh, it's cold!”

“No, not really, a bit like a cold, but with these spots. Just avoid scratching them and you'll be fine in no time.” said Anne. “Maybe we should get you close to Edward while we're at it. Once you've all had it, you'll never need to worry about it again.”

They spent the next few days in the living room watching the telly, whilst playing with their dolls. Anne did intend on getting Edward infected and soon he was covered in spots too. The downside was that it required plenty of calomine lotion.

Their absence from school did get noticed. Julia phoned up on behalf of Kelly who was wondering where Jessica was. Having found out, Kelly told Lisa and Rachel.

A week passed and the two girls were over the worst of it. Edward still had a few spots left but he too was getting over it. It was decided to let them go back to school on Monday.

“You should have let us round.” said Rachel. “Mom says that we only get it once and the sooner the better.”

“Well, my brother got it and he's better now too.” said Jessica.

“In a week, it's half term and Halloween.” said Lisa.

“Great, we can dress up as monsters!” added Kelly.

“We've never done Halloween.” said Jessica

“Same here.” said Lisa.

“I'm gonna have to ask mommy to do a party.” said Kelly.

“I could dress up as a witch” said Jessica.

“Because it's a girl monster I suppose?” said Rachel.

“Why, if Jessica wants to be a witch, that's fine by me.” said Kelly.

“Well, there's still time to decide. Great idea Kelly.” said Lisa.

After school, the news was passed on to Sandra, who was also highly keen on the idea.

“So, a Halloween party? Will this mean going trick or treating?” said Anne, on finding out.

“I don't know.” said Jessica.

“Well, I'm not keen on that idea. The party yes, but not trick or treating.” she replied.

She phoned Julia that evening to find out more.

“Well, I've only just heard myself, all Kelly's idea. I prefer to keep it at just the party too. If it keeps the girls happy, I'm for it.” said Julia.

“Well, Jessica wants to be a witch and possibly Sandra too. Just need a third and we'll have those from Macbeth!” said Anne.

“What about you?” asked Julia.

“Me?! I'm a bit old for that.” said Anne.

“Just enjoy yourself, I'm sure some green face paint and a false nose wouldn't detract from your beauty!” said Julia.

“Ok, but only if you dress up too.” said Anne.

“Deal!” said Julia. “See you at the party, lover!”

Anne went to see the girls, who were now playing Snakes and Ladders with Helen.

“The party is on, but it will be just the party, no trick or treating. The other thing is, I've got to get a costume too.”

“Nice to see you getting in on the act Anne.” chuckled Helen.

“What will you be mommy?” asked Sandra.

“It seems I'm going to be a witch too. All we need now is a Scottish lord whose future needs messing up.” said Anne, with a grin.

The girls didn't get that last bit.

* * *

“So the party is on then?” asked Lisa at school the next day.

“Yes, and even my mommy is getting dressed up.” said Kelly.

“So is mine.” said Jessica.

“Well, this will be fun. I wonder if our own moms and dads will do the same?” said Rachel with a grin.

It was decided to leave the costume buying till the half term holiday. They found that a number of stores were selling costumes for children, but for adults, it was a bit more tricky. Nonetheless, Anne found a witches outfit to fit her. She also bought some face paint for them all and a crooked nose for herself.

“I think we'll look good, the three of us?” said Anne to the two girls. She had also found a small vampire costume for Edward.

They decided to try on the outfits when they got back home, minus the make up. They discovered that Helen was not the only one to preview them.

“Why Sally! Didn't expect you here.” said Anne to her sister in law.

“Just popped round to see how mom was and you lot of course. Been shopping?” she asked.

“Going to a Halloween party and we've all got to wear costumes. We're going as a coven of witches.”

“That include Edward too?” said Sally smiling.

“No, he's going as a vampire. Just hope the fangs stay in place!” said Anne.

“Well, if you're going to try them on, I'm certainly hanging round a bit longer.” said Sally.

A hour or so later, three witches and a vampire entered the living room to the delight of the two adults.

“So, wheres the make up?” asked Sally.

“Oh, we're leaving that till the day of the party.” said Anne. “We're not wearing wigs either, our own hair will do.”

“Well, you look fantastic, all of you.” beamed Sally. “Just need a cauldron and a book of spells.”

“Yeah, to turn some people into toads. I can think of one already.” said Anne.

“I can too.” said Sally with a sly grin.

“Ok, lets get these costumes off and I can prepare dinner.” said Anne, escorting the coven plus one vampire out of the room.

Sally stayed for dinner, allowing Anne to discuss recent events.

“So, you've found yourself a girlfriend? Anne Smith, I didn't think you went that way?” said Sally.

“I didn't either, but it feels right! Julia hits all the right spots. It's just been convincing the girls about it.” said Anne.

“Well, if she's right for you, then I can only say I'm glad for you. At least she understands Jessica.” said Sally.

“That is one plus point, but not the reason I'm seeing her.” said Anne.

“I've also heard that John is to be a dad again, plus the usual visit over Christmas.” added Sally.

“Yep, its gonna be a big family get together. Been a while since we last met. The kids have never met him.” said Anne.

“Well, his family are a nice lot.” said Sally. “But, I've already told you that.”

“It will be nice to see him after all this time. Someone different to talk to.” said Anne.

“So, how are you coping with Jessica?” asked Sally.

“I still miss Peter, I don't think I'll ever forget him, but Jessica, she is a breath of fresh air. It's just so obvious that she was meant to be a girl. She has a loving sister and school friends, who despite knowing the truth, have stuck by her.” said Anne.

“There will always be a bit of Peter in her. I'm much the same, there are parts of my former self that still hold dear to me, but I've no regrets about me now.” said Sally.

“I'm still worried about the years to come, when Sandra starts developing and Jessica doesn't.” said Anne.

“Didn't the doctor tell you about the testosterone blockers?” replied Sally.

“Yes, but the female hormones won't be allowed until shes 16.” said Anne with a sigh.

“I think it's wrong, because she's going to feel isolated till then from other girls because they have breasts and she doesn't. I feel they need to lower the age, especially as girls are developing sooner now.” said Sally.

“I have told her that she'll need medicine to give her breasts but I didn't say exactly when.” said Anne.

“All I can say is get her some breast forms. I'll help if need be because they can be expensive.”

“Thanks, but I agree with what you said, the female hormones need to be given earlier.”

“Hopefully, by the time she is older, things may have changed.” said Sally.

“Well, next month I've got to take her to the specialist for another appointment. Maybe I can bring this up then.” said Anne. “Just a long way to go for just a quick chat, seeing as nothing is to be done yet.”

“You're taking her to the one in Manchester?” asked Sally.

“The one you suggested to me.” said Anne.

“Oh, of course, how forgetful of me. You have heard about the Real Life Test?”

“No, what's that?” asked Anne.

“I had to take this test, it involves living full time as a woman for at least 2 years. If you're going private, less. During that time, around 6 months in, they start prescribing hormones, usually blockers first and then the female ones. Once you've done the minimum time, you need to get approval from 2 specialists for the final surgery. That is of course for adults. Jessica will have to wait much longer before her surgery, providing she wants it.” explained Sally.

“I'm sure she will, but that is a long way off. So this test I suppose, is to test a persons willingness to change sex?” asked Anne.

“Very much so, and some do back out. It's tough for the first few months especially without the hormones. It takes a while for them to take effect. The younger you are though, the better. The whole test requires you to live as a woman to the full, even getting work if you don't already. The ability to walk down a street without being outed is always a hard step, especially if you already look overly masculine. It's tough, and no thanks to the general view of society.” said Sally.

“No chance of Jessica being outed. She's a natural. That gaff you got her has been a help.” said Anne.

“Well, you're just doing the right thing, treating her as a girl. Just keep up the good work!” said Sally as she prepared to leave.

“Well, see you again soon.” said Anne.

“I will, thanks again for the dinner. Bye.”

* * *

“I'm keeping it a surprise!” said Rachel, on the subject of Halloween costumes.

“So long as it's not a witch. Sandra and mommy are coming as them too.” said Jessica.

“I'm not going as a witch, and that's all I'll say.” said Rachel.

“Well, I've been told you don't have to be monsters, you can be anything. Well, that's what my mommy said.” said Lisa.

It was the last day of half term and with Halloween that very weekend, preparations were hotting up. The girls had gathered at the Smith house for some playtime.

“Rachel, I think your hair is going to look wonderful in a few months. Why did your mom want it short?” asked Kelly, who was brushing it for her.

“No idea. She just liked the style, I suppose. It is growing nice though.” said Rachel.

“Jessica's is looking good too.” put in Lisa, who was doing Jessica's.

“Still a way to go, though.” said Sandra, whose hair had been put up in a high ponytail.

“I wish you'd leave them alone. Its not their fault their hair has never been allowed to grow.” said Lisa.

“Yeah, and we want to make sure they enjoy having long hair.” added Kelly.

“Dinner's ready!” came Anne's voice up the stairs.

“Don't worry sis, you deserve to have your hair long.” said Sandra as the group headed downstairs.

“So then, I wonder how many of you want to be hairdressers when you grow up?” said Anne as she noticed the various accessories in their hair.

No answers, but a few giggles came her way.

Anne had volunteered to help Julia with the preparations for the party and did a bit of baking, including some themed biscuits with icing on them and some cakes. She took them round to Julia's a few hours before the party.

“Can't stop long, got my costume to put on, plus make-up duties!” said Anne, as she brought them around.

“I understand, I've got mine and Kelly's to sort out too.” said Julia, planting a kiss on her lips.

“See you later.” said Anne as she left.

Back at home, Anne was preparing to do the make-up on three children. She had got Sandra to tie her hair back, and both girls wore bands to keep the hair away from the face.

“Ok, just hold still while I put it on you.” she said as she sponged on the green face paint.

“Do we get a crooked nose?” asked Sandra.

“No, I've got the only one. I can put on some green pimples for you though.” Anne replied.

The girls had got their costumes by their side, ready to put on. Edward had got his on already and his face had already been painted white with “trickles of blood” from the corners of his mouth.

“Ok, put on your costumes and I'll do your hands.” said Anne. They did as she said and then she got the green paint again and painted their hands and some of their forearms.

“Ok, that should do it.” she eventually said tidying their hair. She put their hats on to complete the look. “Well, two gorgeous witches, ready for the party, and one vampire.” she said admiring them. “Now that you're done, I'll go and get ready myself.”

With that, she went upstairs. A while later, she reappeared fully made up.

“My goodness Anne, you look... ugly!” said Helen as she passed.

“Thanks, I suppose this nose does it. Hope the solvent removes it afterwards.” said Anne.

“Well, your red hair goes well with your rancid complexion” chuckled Helen.

Anne then entered the living room.

“Ok, the wicked witch is looking for her two wicked daughters and blood sucking son!” she said with mock evil tone.

Edward was a little startled. “Don't worry Eddie, it's only your mom.” she said going to him.

“You look funny.” he said to her.

“Do I? What do you think girls?” said Anne.

“You look wicked!” said Sandra.

“Love the nose!” said Jessica.

“Got your broomsticks?” said Anne. The girls held them in front.

“Ok, we're taking the car. Alas we don't have broomstick licenses!” she chuckled.

“If anyone tries to cause trouble, turn them into toads!” shouted Helen as they left.

“Will do!” said Anne with a chuckle.

* * *

They arrived at the party with the girls eager to see what their friends had come as. They were welcomed by what looked like a female vampire with sleek black hair down to the middle of her back, with a body hugging black dress.

“Well, we have the sisterhood, it appears.” she said.

“Julia, is that you?” asked Anne.

“Very much so, my love.” said Julia, her lips painted a dark red and her face a palid white. “Like the wig?”

“I thought you wouldn't do anything serious to those blonde curls of yours. So, Lady Dracula, care to adopt?” said Anne cheekily, offering Edward in his vampire outfit.

“Why, you look cute. You serious?” Julia replied, not realising that Anne was just joking.

“No, just pulling your leg. Anyone else here?” Anne asked.

“Kelly, of course and Rachel with her parents.” Julia replied. “By the way, love the nose.”

Having heard that two of their friends were there, the sisters went to look for them.

“Wow, you two look great.” came a voice. It was Rachel. She was dressed in a furry costume with a hood with fake ears on top. Her face was painted grey with her nose painted black.

“You look like a dog.” said Sandra.

“I'm a werewolf, a person who becomes a man eating wolf.” she snarled, showing some fake fangs. “Charlie is somewhere and he has come as a werewolf too.”

“Where's Kelly?” asked Jessica.

“She's just gone to the toilet, she'll be back soon.” said Rachel.

Kelly soon arrived. She was dressed in ragged clothes and had her hands and face painted grey with shadows round her eyes.

“Hi, all witches, I see. I'm a zombie, living dead.” said Kelly seeing the sisters.

“You're wearing a wig too I see.” said Jessica.

“Yep, easier than dying your hair grey.” she replied. Her wig looked tatty and grey.

“Want some pop?” asked Julia offering a tray of plastic cups to them.

“So, what are your mommy and daddy dressed as?” Sandra asked Rachel.

“Mom has come as the Corpse Bride and dad is Frankenstein's monster.”

They hung around talking whilst waiting for Lisa and her parents to show up.

Eventually, the doorbell announced their arrival.

Lisa had gone against the trend of monsters and ghouls and was dressed as a princess. She had her long red hair set in curls and her dress was sky blue.

“Wow, you look great, love the hair – it is yours?” asked Kelly.

“It is, like it? I'm that princess from Enchanted. Mommy is the queen from Snow White and daddy is the huntsman.” she said.

“Rachel! You need to get your hair curled! You're the odd one out now!” called Sandra.

Rachel came to see what the fuss was all about and saw Lisa.

“I'll wait and see. I might keep it straight.” she replied. “Lisa, you really look good.”

“I think when our birthday party comes along, I want to dress as a princess.” said Jessica.

“Having a good time?” asked Anne. “Love the costumes!”

“Yes thanks.” said Lisa.

“Ok everyone, time for a bit of music and then we can tuck into the food.” said Julia.

She turned out the lights, allowing the pumpkin lanterns to provide the majority of light still about. She then went over to the music system and put on some music. There was some dancing, but still there was some talking, if anyone could be heard.

Edward was trying to enjoy himself but seemed a little put off by the dim light. Anne had to keep one eye on him just to be sure.

“Got some games later on.” said Kelly over the music.

“Such as?” asked Rachel.

“Mommy didn't say what.” she replied.

The music lasted for a hour, well the length of the CD. The lights were switched on again and the food was served.

After that, the games began. Some were played twice, one version for the kids and another for the adults.

“Ok, heres a bowl of water with some apples in it.” said Julia to the girls. “All you need to do is take one out.”

Lisa picked an apple from the bowl.

“Put it back. I haven't finished the rules yet.” said Julia.

Lisa returned the apple feeling a little ashamed.

“Ok, Lisa. Put your arms behind your back. Now try to get an apple by picking it up with your teeth.” said Julia.

“My teeth?!” said Lisa. “I'll just tie my hair back first.”

She put her head into the bowl and tried to pick an apple in the said manner. She eventually did it.

“Well done, you can eat it now. Who's next?”

The others had a different problem, other than their hair – they were of course wearing face paint. In the process of obtaining an apple, they got splashed and some of the paint came away.

The adults were given a go, but there was more water in the bowl for them, to make things harder. Julia was told to take her fangs out, when it was thought she might have a slight advantage with them in.

The night ended when Rachel's dad decided to tell some ghost stories, in the dark of course, with just a torch to light up his face. It certainly had the desired effect on the kids. No one noticed that Anne and Julia were snuggled up together during the story telling. It had been dark a while when everyone set off home. Anne had decided to hang around till everyone else had gone just so she could get a few minutes with Julia – alone.

“Mommy! Do you have to?” asked Jessica as she noticed them sharing a kiss.

“I have to admit, that nose can be a problem Anne.” said Julia.

“Too right, I've had too many compliments about it already!” said Anne.

When they arrived home, Anne ordered them to go and wash the paint off their faces (she helped Edward with his.). She went to her room and went about removing the false nose. After doing so, she joined the girls in the bathroom.

“So girls, did you enjoy that?” she said.

“Very much, can we do dressing up again?” asked Jessica.

“Don't see why not. When do you want to do it again?” asked Anne.

“Our birthday party. Sis wants to be a princess.” said Sandra. Jessica nodded.

“Well, its still a while to go till then, but sure. Obviously Lisa's outfit tonight is the reason for this. She did look pretty in it.” she said as she wiped Edward's face with a flannel.

“Ok, lets check you over, make sure you haven't missed a spot.” she said turning to the girls and checking their faces. “All clear, now be good and go to bed.”

up
86 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos