Michelle's Story - Part 3

Printer-friendly version

Michelle's Story - Part 3

Michael has started school and made friends with Robert, who also has long hair for a boy. But he has also made an enemy in Billy, the school bully. The feud that ensues results in a more confident Michael, but Billy refuses to give up. Some clever deceit and Michael finds himself in a living nightmare, and his family are unable to help him.

The story continues in Jessica's Story - Part 10.

Michelle's Story – Part 3

Michael's first week at school was almost perfect. It was until Billy put his foot in. Billy was just the average school bully looking for victims and he had targetted Michael and his new friend Robert for having long hair.

Robert had become his main target for now, simply because he had kicked him in the shin. Billy wanted revenge and soon.

It was Thursday morning break and Robert and Michael were heading for what they considered a safe spot in the playground when they got stopped in their tracks.

“Well, look who we have here, the ugly stepsisters.” said Billy, to the amusement of his friends.

“Sod off Billy!” said Robert. “Or do you want a broken leg this time?”

“I thought girls were meant to be polite?” said Billy, showing offense.

“And I thought boys were meant to be polite to girls?” said Robert. “But you're not boys, are you?”

Billy was wounded by that remark. The area was too full of other children for him to try anything violent. He signalled for his friends to follow, but not before whispering a threat into Robert's ear.

“Why won't he leave us alone?” said Michael.

“I kicked him. That's why.” said Robert. “He wants to hurt me for it.”

“Tell a teacher, why don't you?” said Michael.

“If I do, he'll never give up.” said Robert. “I need to make him give up.”

The surrounding children hadn't gone without noticing the confrontation and looked at them with curiosity.

For the remainder of the week, Billy left them alone, though he didn't take his eye off them.

“The one called Robert is the tough one.” he told his friends. “The other one takes a back seat. Stupid little pansy. Get rid of Robert and the other is defenceless.”

Michael was unaware of how the next few weeks would shape his life.

“So, your first week at school has been ok then?” asked John on Friday evening.

“Yes dad.” said Michael.

“As we told you James, as soon as he started school, he would come out of his shell.” said John to his oldest son.

James looked at Michael and gave a weak smile. Though he was hurt slightly by the fact that his fears for Michael had not come into fruition, he felt glad that they hadn't.

Over the weekend, Liz was getting a little worried about something else.

“What's up love?” asked John.

“My period. I'm sure I'm due one now, but well, it hasn't started.” said Liz.

“Maybe it's late.” said John.

“Perhaps.” said Liz.

The second week of school began and Michael was trying to avoid Billy when possible. Robert seemed to be keen too, but it wasn't easy. Billy was desperate to corner them when they were in an isolated spot.

Alas, it happened, but it was a quick surprise attack. It was one of Billy's friends who did it. What helped was that Billy was clearly elsewhere and was making sure that it was known.

Robert and Michael didn't notice Billy's one friend walking close by. It happened so quickly. One second they were chatting away and the next, Robert was on one knee clutching the back of his one leg. Michael looked for the attacker but he was no where to be seen.

“It must have been one of his friends.” said Robert. “Got his payback then.”

“I'll punch them for this.” said Michael. “I wish I could be Ben 10 and then I'd beat him up as Four-Arms.”

“That would be fun to watch.” smiled Robert. “But it's just a cartoon.”

“I know.” sighed Michael.

Despite this attack, Robert knew that the end was not reached. Billy would be back for more.

Back at home, Liz was still worried about her period. By the time Wednesday arrived, she still hadn't started it. She could only guess at one reason and John pressed her into visiting the doctor. She did so on Thursday and she collected the children that afternoon with a smile on her face. Only when John came back from work, did she reveal why.

“I'm pregnant.” she smiled. “We're going to be a family of six!”

“Please let it be a girl!” said Emma. “I've always wanted a sister.”

Later that week, John decided to let Anne and his mom Helen know about Liz's pregnancy. He decided to confirm plans to visit them at Christmas.

“So, 2 girls and a boy. The girls just like anything girly and the boy is into Thomas the Tank Engine.” he told Liz. He had just asked for the Smith children's interests, so they could buy presents for them.

At school, Michael was finding himself still at the centre of a struggle with Billy. Robert had been right that the sneak attack which had seen him get kicked in the leg was only the beginning. Billy and his friends were not through with them by a long shot. Much to their pleasure, Robert and Michael didn't seem to want to tell anyone about them.

The attacks continued to be sneaky, or done when there were few about. Billy's bad reputation helped him – no one dared to speak out against him. So, unless Robert and Michael decided to do something, the bullying would continue.

“So, you little pansy! What are you going to do about it?” asked Billy to Michael.

Michael had been shoved to the floor unceremoniously, with Robert held back by Billy's comrades.

“Come on, prove to me that you're no weakling.” taunted Billy.

“Don't do it Mikey!” shouted Robert.

Billy ignored Robert and continued to egg Michael.

“You are weak after all. Weaklings must be beaten up.” said Billy.

He turned and smiled at his friends, feeling victorious. He just hadn't counted on Michael snapping.

Michael was hurt mentally and his temper was rising. He had never felt so angry before. Before Billy could do anything, Michael had got up and kicked him hard in the side of the knee.

Billy fell to one knee, clutching the other. He looked up at Michael and saw a whole new Michael before him.

“You stupid little cow!” he cried. “Why did you hit me for?”

“I'm no weakling!” shouted Michael. “I'M NO WEAKLING!”

“Oh yeah?” said Billy. “Try this.”

Billy got back to his feet and managed to kick out at Michael. The kick merely took Michael off his feet and put him back on the ground.

“You're still a weakling!” said Billy. “You'd better improve for next time.”

Billy left them, his friends throwing Robert to the floor.

“You ok?” said Robert.

“Yes, but I'll break his leg next time.” said Michael. “I'll show him who is weak!”

“Don't go after him.” said Robert. “Tell a teacher. We should have done this from the start.”

But Michael didn't seem to hear him. A new determination had been born inside him and it wanted Billy beaten up.

* * *

Michael however showed no sign of this new attitude upon going home that day. His whole family were oblivious to the sudden mental change within him, other than the fact that he seemed more confident.

But the signs were not hidden for long.

Next day at school, Billy confronted Michael and Robert .

“Get out of my way!” said Michael.

“Talking tough?” said Billy. “What about those puny muscles?”

Billy lashed out with his hand and shoved Michael to the floor again.

“Leave him alone, you git!” said Robert. “Take on me if you have to!”

“No, this runt interests me. I like runts who think they're tough.” said Billy, his eyes still on Michael.

“But of course, you're one.” said Robert.

“Shut him up!” said Billy. His two friends took up their new regular role of restraining Robert.

“No chance of that.” said Robert.

“Says who?” said Billy.

“Says me!” said Michael. He tripped up Billy and pinned him to the ground. “I'm tougher than you!”

Robert smiled as he saw Billy in a whole new situation. Billy looked up at Michael and saw a determined boy aiming a fist at his head.

“Now, leave me and my friend alone!!” continued Michael.

“Ok, ok. You win.” said Billy. “Now let me up.”

“Don't take your eyes off him!” said Robert.

Michael heeded Robert's words and let Billy get up, though he kept his fists clenched. Billy was worried and decided to walk. His friends let Robert go and joined him.

“Well done.” said Robert. “You've got him worried.”

“I've beat him.” said Michael, sounding pleased.

“The once. He might come back.” said Robert.

“Then I'll be ready for him.” said Michael.

Robert looked at Michael and felt disturbed by the look on his face.

Though Michael continued to speak to him on friendly terms, Robert felt as though something had been unleashed in his friend.

At home, Michael's confidence was still being noticed. At first, everyone was pleased at this change in him, but then it happened.

James still noticed that Michael took his teddy to bed. Feeling that Michael was now showing signs of “growing up”, he decided to confront him over it.

“Hey bro. Shouldn't you be giving up that silly bear now?” he asked.

“No I am not!” said Michael crossly. “Go back to loving your bear!”

James looked stunned, but tried again.

“What about cutting that girly hair of yours?” he added.

Michael turned, gave him a dirty glance and kicked him in the leg.

“No way!” said Michael. “I like my hair like this, so shut up!”

“Mom! Mike kicked me!” said James.

“He what?!” asked Liz.

“He kicked me.” he repeated. “I didn't do anything.”

“He wants me to give up teddy. He wants me to get a hair cut!” said Michael, now entering the room.

“So, you did nothing?” asked Liz.

“So I did. But he kicked me! He's never done that before!” said James.

He had forgotten the time before the holiday, when Michael had kicked him over his teddy.

“Why did you do it Michael? You know it's wrong to fight.” asked Liz.

“He deserved it.” said Michael. “He's been telling me what to do all this time, he deserved it!”

“I don't care if he deserved it or not, you shouldn't kick people!” said Liz.

John confronted both boys later that day.

“What has got into you?” he asked Michael. “Sure, we wanted you to be a bit more confident, but not this.”

“Well, I'm standing up for myself.” said Michael. “You told me to.”

“Ok, but no kicking out at anyone.” said John.

Just to help matters, James didn't say anything more to upset Michael.

* * *

As October neared, with Emma's 8th birthday approaching, Michael found his need for being “tough” lessening. Billy appeared to be keeping his distance.

“I don't like it.” said Robert. “After all these weeks of bullying us, he suddenly gives up.”

“Maybe I'm too tough for him.” said Michael.

“About you being tough.” said Robert. “Don't try to be. You're becoming like him. Bullies try to be tough. You're no bully, Michael, you're a good friend, and that's how I want you to stay.”

“But I'm not like him.” said Michael.

“You are though.” said Robert. “When you floored him for the third time just last week, he was scared of you. Bullies go round scaring others. You are doing that to him.”

“But he deserves it.” said Michael.

“Well, it appears he has given up, so you can too.” said Robert.

“Well, ok. But if he tries, I'll do it again.” said Michael.

Billy hadn't given up though. His reputation as a bully had been severely dented, and he so wanted to get even with Michael. But he had to admit that Michael was better than him.

“Why don't you get him to join us?” said one of his friends.

“He would make a good member, but he hurt me, and that is what matters.” said Billy. “I want revenge!”

While Billy was spending time figuring out how to get back at Michael, he turned his attention to victims who didn't fight back. But seeing as his reputation had been tarnished by Michael, his power over others was waning. This made him want to hurt Michael more than ever.

So, for Michael and Robert, they seemed to have won the war. As a result, Michael did stop his near bully attitude and started to show signs of his old self. His own reputation was growing as a result and even Emma took notice.

It was soon explained at home that Michael had been bullied but had appeared to have won.

“So, this is what it was all about?” asked John. “So, has the bully given up then?”

“He appears to have.” said Michael.

“That is great, but if he tries to do anything again, tell us or a teacher. Don't deal with him yourself.” said John.

“Ok, I won't.” said Michael.

Michael also apologised to James too.

“I'm sorry. I just got angry, the bullies made me angry.” he told him.

“I'm sorry too.” said James. “You can take care of yourself. I've heard that Billy is one nasty piece of work.”

Emma was soon celebrating her 8th birthday. She had her friends round to celebrate with her. James and Michael found themselves taking a back seat.

“Why don't we just watch the telly all day?” asked James.

“Ok, but why did it have to be a girls party?” asked Michael.

“Because Emma is a girl?” suggested James. “It's just something that is. Girls like being girls and boys like being boys. We just like different things.”

Even as they watched the television all day, as Liz looked after the girls, Michael felt a pang of jealousy. He still wanted to be a girl and would have loved to have been involved in this party.

But his own birthday was only a matter of weeks away, in November.

Michael's continued desire to be female was made worse at school, with so many girls to admire and envy. With Billy still showing no sign of reigniting his campaign against them, Robert and Michael wandered around the playground more freely.

But Billy was just doing his research. He was seeing if there was any other way of getting back at Michael. But all efforts had proved fruitless, till now.

“What is he up to?” he said to himself, as he took to monitoring Michael from afar.

Michael was wandering around the playground with Robert as usual. Though Robert didn't take notice, Billy did. Michael was making his admiration of girls too known.

“What is it?” asked one of his mates.

“He seems to be looking at that group of girls.” said Billy. “As though, he's... I don't believe this, it can't be!”

“What?!” asked the other mate, puzzled.

“I think he's jealous.” smiled Billy.

“Jealous?!” said his mates together.

“I'm guessing that he wants to be a girl after all, the stupid little sissy.” said Billy. “And this could be my ticket to beating him once and for all.”

His friends looked at him in wonder.

Even so, with an idea brewing inside his head, Billy kept to watching Michael. He continued to smile as Michael once again showed signs of jealousy towards the girls.

“Mike? What is it with you and the girls?” asked Robert, finally noticing Michael's habit of looking at them.

“My sister is over there, and I just try to catch her attention.” he replied.

Though Emma was among them, he wasn't out to catch her attention. If she did look over towards him, he turned his gaze away and walked on.

Billy's plan was still showing no signs of being realised as November arrived. Billy had come stuck as one thing stood in his way: Robert.

“Why don't we just drag him away?” suggested one of his mates.

“I don't want that.” said Billy. “I want to give Michael the idea that I have give up. Beating up that idiot Robert is not going to do that.”

As Michael's birthday approached, Robert was given an invite to the party. He was the only guest, but for Michael, this meant lots.

The birthday party had Michael's favourite subject written all over it. The table cloth, the cake and the plates were all green and black and had Ben 10 characters all over. It didn't bother Emma or James, whose own parties had involved décor to their personal taste. They just knew that this was Michael's own special day.

Robert had been dropped off by his parents for the Saturday based party and found himself getting friendly with Michael's family.

“I knew you liked Ben 10, but this is ridiculous!” he told Michael.

Michael had taken him to his room and showed him all the figures he had. But Robert took more notice of James' Newcastle United items.

“I don't follow football.” said Michael. “I'm just not into sports.”

“I'm not saying you should.” said Robert. “My dad loves them though.”

“My dad supports Walsall.” said Michael.

“Who?!” said Robert. “Where are they?”

“A long distance away. My gran lives down there and we visit them at Christmas.” said Michael.

“Oh, so your dad is from there?” asked Robert.

“Both my mom and dad.” said Michael.

“That explains why they sound funny.” said Robert.

“They don't sound funny,” said Michael, sounding hurt.

Robert dropped the subject, and continued to play with Michael's figures. He decided to pick up the subject of football with James and the two were soon chatting away happily.

“Dad, Robert says you sound funny.” asked Michael after the party and after Robert had been collected by his parents.

“Regional accents.” said John. “There is a lot of hatred about them. People treated unfairly just because they speak with a different dialect. Ignore him. You're already picking up the local dialect.”

“Am I?” asked Michael.

“Yes, but don't worry.” said John. “You speak English, so that is all that matters.”

* * *

With Michael's birthday now past, the main subject in the house was the Christmas trip to see their gran, aunts and cousins in the West Midlands. It also meant a plan for shopping. Not only had Liz and John got to buy presents for their own children, they now had 2 nieces and a nephew to buy for too.

Sally, due to work commitments, didn't find more times to visit, and promised to see them at Christmas. All contact with her for now was made over the phone. She was keeping John abreast of things in her area but didn't mention the Smiths much unless she had to. John was at least explaining how Michael had found confidence, as hoped, at school.

But for the children, there was still the matter of another 6 weeks at school and for Michael, his short life thus far was about to take another twist.

Billy was still awaiting his chance. Further sightings of Michael admiring the girls in a curious way seemed to confirm his theory. But his chance did come and he pounced.

“I'll be back in a bit, I just need to go to the toilet.” said Robert during morning break. “Need a two.”

Michael was content to stand in the playground and wait, though he decided to watch the girls playing their usual games.

“Hello Michael.” said Billy from behind.

“What do you want?!” asked Michael, his face suddenly looking angry.

“I'm just here to say sorry for what I've done. Can we call our troubles off?” he replied.

“Well, ok. But no more trouble!” said Michael.

“Deal.” said Billy. “Now, what are you doing?”

“Watching the girls play.” said Michael.

“You don't want to join them?!” asked Billy.

Michael hesitated before replying.

“How can I? I'm a boy.” he replied.

“Just as well.” said Billy. “Because any boy who wants to be a girl, or to dress like one, is seen as the biggest idiot ever.”

“What do you mean?” asked Michael.

“If you dressed as a girl, everyone would laugh at you. You would feel so bad, that you would just want to hide away forever.” said Billy. “Trust me, you'll want to die, because the torment would be so bad.”

“I would?” asked Michael sounding worried.

“Yes.” said Billy. “A boy came here dressed as a girl and everyone laughed at him so bad, that he ran away and nobody saw him ever again.”

“What happened to him?” asked Michael.

“Nobody saw him again.” said Billy, adding a sinister tone to his voice.

“I see.” said Michael. The thought seemed bad, though he couldn't imagine a boy going to school dressed as a girl.

“I'd keep away from girls too. They might want to dress you up as one of them if you get too close.” added Billy. “They love to make sissies out of boys. Keep away from them.”

Michael just wondered in horror at these words.

Billy was just admiring the worried look on Michael's face when Robert could be seen in the distance, having finished his trip to the toilet. By the time Robert had found Michael, Billy had walked off.

“You ok?” asked Robert.

“Yes.” said Michael, unsuredly. “Billy has just been up and said sorry for everything.”

“He has?” said Robert. “I don't believe it.”

“But he did.” said Michael.

“I don't trust him.” said Robert.

Back at home, Michael thought about Billy's words. They certainly conflicted with his deepest desires. The subject haunted him in his sleep.

He was in an empty room, dressed in a pretty dress, his hair down his back with a ribbon in it. A large mirror stood before him, showing the girl he had become. He admired himself, and felt wonderful, but then a large number of faces appeared all around and started laughing at him, mocking him, poking fun at him.

“He's a boy in a dress! He looks so stupid!”

“My brother is such a sissy! Let's all laugh at him!” said James.

He noticed that his whole family, even his gran and Aunt Sally were there and all were pointing and laughing cruelly.

“SISSY! SISSY! SISSY!” came the voices, mocking him mercilessly.

“Stop laughing! Stop laughing! I really am a girl!” he shouted, tears pouring down his face.

He woke up with a start, tears down his face.

The rest of the day saw him feel miserable. Seeing himself as a girl had been wonderful, but then he had been made fun of. The whole dream had been a nightmare.

“If I become a girl, I'll be made fun of.” he sighed. “But I want to be a girl! It's not fair!”

Billy watched on as Michael entered the playground at breaktime with Robert beside him.

“I think I've just ruined his worthless life.” said Billy with a smile.

As Michael passed the girls, he glanced over and quickly walked past.

Apart from that, Michael said nothing about Billy's ill advice to anyone. But the main problem arose at home.

Seeing Emma was the problem. He really liked her, he admired her long brown hair and her dresses.

“I want to be like her, but if I do, everyone will laugh at me.” he thought. He wanted her lifestyle, but he couldn't have it. He hated it and he meant to show it.

“What's up bro?” she asked later that day, after school.

“Nothing.” he lied.

“Come on, what's up?” she asked again.

He didn't answer and went to his room. Emma, knowing that something was up, followed and persisted.

“Leave me alone! Go away!” he shouted.

“Ok, if you insist.” she said at last.

But she continued to note that he was becoming distant from her. She wanted to know why, but his responses were getting more hostile.

“I said leave me alone, you stupid girl!” he shouted at her one day. His new fears, combined with jealousy were certainly beginning to rule his head.

* * *

At school, he avoided the girls at all costs if possible. Emma was noticing this too.

“My brother is acting strange all of a sudden.” she told her friends.

“The one who put down Billy, you mean?” replied Jenny.

“Yes, with long brown hair.” said Emma.

“Why, what's he doing?” asked Lucy.

“He seems to be jealous.” said Emma. “I try to talk to him and he starts being rude to me.”

“Jealous?” said Jenny. “What of?”

“Maybe, he wants to be a girl?” said Lucy. “His hair might look good with ribbons in it.”

“I don't know.” said Emma. “But if he gets worse, I might ask him if he wants to try on a dress.”

“Here he is now.” said Jenny. “Go and ask him.”

Lucy decided to do it instead. She left the group and went over to him.

“Michael, your sister wants to speak to you.”

Michael turned and saw the girl with braided red hair coming towards him. He looked uncomfortable and decided to run off, leaving Robert behind.

“Leave me alone!” he cried.

“What is with him?” asked Lucy.

“I don't know.” said Robert who was just as stunned and puzzled by Michael suddenly running off. “Why, what's up?”

“He has started being rude to his sister.” said Lucy.

“Why?” asked Robert.

“That's what she wants to know.” said Lucy.

Robert tracked Michael down and confronted him.

“What's your problem?” he asked.

“I don't want to talk to my sister.” said Michael. “I hate her.”

“How come?”

“She's a girl! I hate girls!” said Michael. Though he said it, he didn't really mean it. It was just his fear turning to paranoia.

“I don't understand you at times.” said Robert. “You ran away from a girl who was asking you a question.”

Michael didn't answer, leaving Robert wondering whether his friendship with Michael was worth keeping.

Michael continued to be rude to Emma when she asked him an innocent question. He then started being rude to her at other times. It was then that Emma decided to make her threat known.

“I don't know why you don't like girls, if you like your hair long!” she said to him. “Maybe I should put you in a dress and call you.... Michelle!”

Michael froze in terror. “You wouldn't?!”

“I would!” said Emma again. “Michelle is a suitable name too.”

He ran to his room and shut the door. When she did see him again at dinner that evening, he didn't say a word. From then on, Emma found she had a weapon to use against him.

“What is going on between you two?” asked John later that week.

“Michael is being horrible to me for some reason, but I've found a way to control him.” said Emma.

Michael was in his room, playing with his Ben 10 figures. He felt bad in a way about how he was treating his sister, but now that she had threatened to dress him up in her clothes, the rudeness now had a reason. He didn't want that nightmare to come true, he didn't want to be laughed at.

James had also found out about how he ran from girls now. His recent increase in respect for his younger brother was disappearing too.

“You are a mystery, bro.” he told Michael one night. “What is it all about?”

He didn't get an answer. Michael thought that even by telling the truth, he would get laughed at.

If only he knew that Billy had set him up. The bully was now content to watch as Michael's fear of being seen cross dressed had seen him chased by girls. He had become a laughing stock anyway.

“I told you my plan would work.” said Billy. “Now he's scared stiff of being seen as a sissy and will do anything to avoid girls!”

His mates just guffawed along with him.

Robert was also getting puzzled with Michael. He liked Michael as a friend, but like everyone else, was unable to work Michael out.

“I don't know why I'm friends with you.” said Robert. “You continue to act strangely around girls.”

Michael slumped in his chair and continued on his maths work. Everyone at school was now finding his fear of girls quite funny or strange. The respect he had won by humiliating Billy was disappearing fast: Billy's plan had worked better than even he imagined. Michael just wished for the Christmas holiday to arrive and give him some sanctuary from the hell that school had become. But the visit to the Smiths had one problem: two of his cousins were girls. That would mean avoiding 3 girls in total.

It didn't help either, that Emma had found it fun to threaten him with treating him like a girl. She now made the threats when he wasn't being rude. Though he secretly wished for such, he was still convinced that people would laugh at him.

“Mom, can you tell sis to stop teasing me?” he asked Liz.

“Well, you started it by being rude to her.” said Liz.

“But I've stopped being rude to her but she hasn't stopped.” he added.

Liz did ask Emma to stop, but a sly smile from her later that day suggested that Liz's words had gone in one ear and out the other.

She managed to call out to him the one afternoon, but she was unaware if he was listening.

“Tell me what your problem is and I'll stop bothering you.” she called.

* * *

In the build up to Christmas, John was busy arranging things concerning their annual visit to see his mom Helen. But this time, the venue was different and there would be 4 more people to see. The difficult part was finding lodgings for the night enroute. So far, he had managed to get a motel room each year that allowed them to stop on Christmas Eve.

The presents for Helen and Sally were joined by their own. The children opened their own presents upon arriving at the venue. This year would be no different.

Michael was glad of the holidays arriving, having had enough of the ridicule at school. He had stopped being horrible to Emma just to avoid the threats she made.

Emma and James were looking forward to meeting their cousins. Michael was too, to a degree. At least Aunt Sally and Helen would be there, so he would have familiar faces too.

Just to help keep the surprise of presents on Christmas Day, John packed the car on the night before setting off, so that the children didn't see the presents going in the boot. They only needed the one set of clothes as always and thus one large suitcase sufficed.

“So, what are the names of our cousins again?” asked James.

“Sandra, she's the eldest, then there's Jessica, and then Edward.” said John.

“Two girls.” said Emma. “I envy both, for having each other as sisters!”

“Maybe your sister is on the way.” said Liz, pointing to her tummy.

“I hope so.” said Emma. “I really hope so.”

“Which one is the one?” asked Liz to John. She kept her voice low so that the kids couldn't hear.

“Jessica, I think.” said John. “But from what I heard, just think Sally but younger. She's that convincing from what I've heard.”

The next morning, the children were woken early. Liz was busy with breakfast while John inspected the weather outside.

There had been snow during the night and the car needed freeing before they could set off. He came back in and told everyone to wrap up before going out.

“Snow!” said James. “Ok, let's have a fight!”

James and Emma were soon putting on their coats, gloves and scarfs before heading outside. They were soon gathering snow in their hands and throwing it at each other.

Michael came to the front door and watched on as his older siblings exchanged snowballs.

“John! I've heard on the radio that the M1 is gridlocked in places.” said Liz coming to the door.

“Ok, we'll have to set out early” said John. “Kids, time to stop playing.”

The children stopped reluctantly and went back inside for a few moments. They soon came back out to get in the car. Emma had brought her favourite doll along, just to impress her female cousins.

It was 10am when they started out on Christmas Eve. The roads were busy with traffic as expected: other commuters travelling across the country to spend Christmas with family and friends.

Getting out of Newcastle was just the start. With the snow about, it made traffic jams worse. It took nearly an hour to finally reach the A1 and then reach the M1 motorway.

“Put a CD on love. Try and cheer us up on the way.” said John.

Liz had brought along a collection of Christmas CDs, ranging from carols to classic pop songs. It certainly helped lift the mood in the back where the children were seated. The long journey was certainly tiring for them.

Rather than face the hefty prices charged at service stations, Liz had prepared packed lunches for everyone. They sat in the car at a service station and ate them. Even then, they had food left over for later that evening. It was dark long before they arrived at the motel. Having booked in, they headed for their room.

“Does Aunt Anne live in the same area as gran?” asked James.

“Basically.” said John. “Now when you arrive there in the morning, I want all of you on your best behaviour.”

“That counts for you too, Michael.” said Liz. “I don't know what has got into you of late, but I'd just as soon have the old shy you back.”

Michael bowed his head low. His personal life had got complicated of late, and it wasn't finished yet. He looked over to Emma who just smiled at him. Turning his eyes from her, he concentrated on the food that Liz was preparing for a late night snack.

John switched on the television to see what was on. He found a film that interested them all and they watched it. But soon it was clear that the children wanted to go to bed. John and Liz didn't mind, as it meant that they could get an early start the next morning.

The next morning, John woke first and went to wake the children.

“Come on, Christmas Day and new friends to meet. We have a big day ahead of us.”

Little did he realise how big a day, this Christmas Day, would be.

up
125 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That is the way with bullies,

That is the way with bullies, they are always looking for a way to attack their victim/s. Either physically or mentally as Billie is doing now with Michael.

poor Michelle

sighs ...

DogSig.png

acceptance

I think Micheals sister would be very accepting, if he takes the true path to sissyism he should beat the living daylights out of the bully, just once to prove a point to all his peers that he will be what he wants to be!

Ouch, keep it all in.

Podracer's picture

The schoolchild's way; don't confide, it will be too horrible / embarrassing / do no good. No matter how upsetting the situation. It only happens to me, and I don't know how to get out.
I hope something breaks soon for Michael, this looks like a good chance later today.

"Reach for the sun."

His problem is resolved in

His problem is resolved in the next part, but you'll just have to wait.