Jessica's Story - Part 10/Michelle's Story - Part 4

Printer-friendly version

Jessica's Story - Part 10/Michelle's Story - Part 4

The Smiths prepare to meet the Brooks from Newcastle for the first time, and it turns out to be an eventful meeting. Michael is still showing the fears that have been planted on him by Billy, and his sister Emma is keen to know what is troubling him. Sandra and Jessica offer to help her, resulting in two big truths coming out.

This is the first Cross-over episode for the two stories.

Jessica's Story – Part 10/Michelle's Story – Part 4

They arrived home from the carol concert and changed out of their uniforms for the final time that day. Sandra had known how much Adam had disliked Peter when Jessica started to appear. Now she was aware that Adam was just one of many people who thought the same. Her feelings towards Jessica strengthened.

School broke up for Christmas later that week and Sandra was keen to speak to the others about Jessica when possible. Anne was now thinking that she may have been too open about the problems concerning society's views, having seen how protective Sandra had become of her younger sister.

Nonetheless, Sandra got to talk to their friends at the end of the last day. She kept her voice low.

“The secret about Jessica. Its really important you keep it secret.” she said.

“Why? We already do!” said Lisa.

“Well, I know why. There are people out there who would do bad things to her if they knew.” replied Sandra.

“I think we worked that one out when we heard about your daddy.” said Kelly. “If that's all, just to remind you, we are already looking out for her. I made the promise to you, remember?”

“Jessica is 100% girl as far as we're concerned, she's our friend and she knows it.” added Rachel.

“So, we are already making sure no one else finds out.” said Kelly.

Sandra felt a little ashamed. “Sorry, I forgot. I've just been a little over protective since mommy told me. In any case, if anyone asks if I'm related to her, I'm her cousin.”

“No one ever mentions you. You're in the juniors, so no one usually sees you. I'm not sure anyone thinks you are related.” said Lisa.

“Let's hope so.” said Sandra.

Anne parked the car further down the road, always in the same area. She had done this since Jessica had started school. It wasn't fullproof, as Jessica's friends had seen Jessica and Sandra getting in together. However, nothing else had come of it.

“You're over reacting. Jessica is fine. I shouldn't have told you all that, the other night.” said Anne.

“I know, Kelly has just told me the same.” said Sandra.

“Well, time to stop worrying, school is over till next year.” said Anne.

“Sorry sis.” Sandra said to Jessica.

“Forget about it.” she replied.

They arrived back home and the girls quickly changed into more casual wear.

“Whats for dinner?” asked Jessica.

“Fish fingers.” said Anne. “Unless you want something else?”

“No, thats fine.” said Jessica.

When they went to bed that night, Sandra made her thoughts known.

“Why can't people see that you are a girl. You don't look like a boy, don't behave like a boy and you don't want to be a boy.” she said.

“But I've got a willy.” replied Jessica, a little dejected.

“So what, you're a girl with a willy. Fact is, you are a girl.” said Sandra.

“Thanks, I love you sis!”

“Will you go to sleep!” came Anne's voice from beyond the door.

They smiled at one another and shut their eyes.

When they opened them next morning, they were in for a surprise. They looked out of their window to see that the weather had been very wintery indeed.

“SNOW!!” they cried in unison.

“Well, this was unexpected.” said Anne during breakfast. “The forecasters didn't see this coming, but then again, when have they?”

“Can we go out please?!!” said the girls together.

“Of course, but you'll need to wrap up first. Besides, you haven't finished your breakfast.” said Anne.

After breakfast, both Jessica and Sandra put on their wellies and coats and went outside. Jessica still had Peter's wellies but at least they weren't overly boyish looking.

“There's a friendly cat over there!” pointed Sandra. Jessica looked but couldn't see a cat.

“Ouch!” she yelled as a snowball hit her from behind. She turned to see Sandra smiling.

A moment later and Sandra was reeling from a direct hit.

“Got you!” said Jessica.

“This one won't miss either!” said Sandra, scooping up more snow. She aimed well, but Jessica was equal to it and dodged out of the way.

“Missed me!” she said, scooping up some more and throwing it back. Sandra was nowhere near as good at dodging snowballs and that one hit her.

“Well, snowball fighting, I thought you two might have built a snowman” said Anne, now wrapped up herself and escorting Edward out with her.

“I suppose so. Where shall we put him?” asked Sandra, who had just taken another snowball hit.

“What about here?” said Anne, pointing to an open spot.

They set about building, clearing snow from the car too. They started piling it up to make the body before rolling a ball for the head. Anne found an old scarf while the girls found some large stones for eyes and a nose. With the snowman finished, Anne decided to take a photo and got the three children to stand by it.

“Ok, lets get inside and get warm. I'll start dinner, I'm starving!” said Anne.

“How long is the snowman gonna last?” asked Sandra.

“As long as it remains cold.” added Anne.

The girls took off their wellies and their socks, two pairs each. Anne had brought them wellies at least a size too big just so they could have more socks on their feet. It kept their feet warm.

“Lets hope this doesn't hinder John. The forecast now predicts more snow for the remainder of the week.” said Helen, who had been watching the television whilst they had been building the snowman.

“Well, at least they are stopping the night somewhere on the way.” said Anne.

With John and his family around, the house was going to be full. What concerned the girls was the presence of two more boys. With Edward being no bother for now, the house had had a very strong female presence. There was no entertainment for boys above the age of 5 with the exception being the cricket set.

* * *

They received word on Christmas Eve that John had set off okay. They too had had heavy snow and the roads were bad. They were glad to be stopping over for the night.

“Hope Father Christmas has that dolls house!” said Jessica. “I did write a letter to him!”

“Wait and see.” said Anne.

Jessica had wished for Father Christmas to get her girls stuff for years. Hopefully, this would be the first time he granted her wish. On a side note, she had also wished for her hair to be a lot longer than Sandra's.

They sat around the table for dinner that afternoon, with sausages, beans and chips on the menu. The Christmas dinner had already been started, with the vegetables already chopped and prepared. The turkey would be put in the oven early the next day. They then spent the rest of the day watching the television watching whatever films had been selected by the terrestrial companies for viewing over the festive season (again!)

They received another phone call that night from John, just to say that they had arrived at their motel and would be ok to arrive in the morning.

“I want to see Father Christmas!” yelled Edward. He had joined in the girls calls to stay up all night.

“He won't come if you don't go to bed.” said Anne.

She won, as always and they reluctantly went to bed, only for them to stare out of their windows for a while until sleep overtook them and they did go to bed after all.

“This was one problem about bringing it up here!” said Helen, quietly, as she helped Anne take the big present downstairs. They tried to be as quiet as possible, so as not to wake the children.

“Phew!” said Anne as they finally got it into the living room and placed it near the tree. “I'm off to bed now. Got to get the dinner ready for tomorrow.”

“See you in the morning.” said Helen.

Anne had set the alarm clock for 6:00am just so that she could get the turkey in the oven. The girls got up a hour later, followed by Edward. They naturally headed for the living room and found what they were looking for.

“Morning kids, come and have breakfast first, then you can open your presents.” said Anne, much to the girls disappointment. “Oh, and after breakfast, can you go and get dressed.”

The children were still wearing their pyjamas. They headed to the kitchen and wolfed down their cereal and fruit juice before heading upstairs to get dressed. They found their reserved clothes and put them on. They then brushed their hair and came down again.

“Wait a second.” said Anne. “We decided on having your hair pinned back, remember?”

The girls felt a conspiracy was going on, just to delay the opening of presents as long as possible. They had to return to their room and allow Anne to do their hair for them.

Once again, they found themselves delayed, asked to remain in the kitchen. The reason this time being, that Anne and Helen wanted to be in the living room as they opened their presents. But they were keen to get the dinner started first, much to the children's utter annoyance.

“Ok, you lot. Let's go and open some presents.” said Anne, eventually.

“Hurray!” said Sandra. “Thought it would never happen!”

The children ran to the living room and started sorting the presents. Naturally, the biggest one caught the girls' eyes first.

“To Sandra and Jessica, from Mom and Aunty Sally.” they read the label together. They set about unwrapping the present immediately. Their faces lit up at the dolls house within.

“You got us a dolls house!” they cheered and ran over to give Anne a hug. “Thank you mommy!”

“My pleasure, girls! Glad you like it.” she said. “Now, I think there are other things down there for you.”

They returned to the floor and started looking through the other presents. They checked the ones that Edward was looking at, just to see if he had picked up any that weren't his.

“This ones for you mommy!” shouted Jessica and threw a small package over to her.

“This one's yours, Eddie.” said Sandra, passing a decent sized present to him. The girls discovered that their friends had sent them presents too. Anne's presents were clothes, plus a make up bag. Her face turned red when she discovered that Julia had sent her a black lace negligee.

“Well, I'm right to presume she wishes to see you in that?” asked Helen smiling.

“I'm keen to see myself in it too.” she replied, blushing more.

Helen didn't receive much, not that she was bothered. Sally had sent her a bottle of gin, her favourite tipple, something which Anne didn't know until now. She had also received some chocolates and a bottle of perfume.

Edward got some clothes and a wooden train set (Thomas of course).

The girls both got clothes mainly plus sweets, but Jessica also got a few more hair accessories, all from her friends, which came with a note telling her to wear them when her hair was indeed long.

Having shown their presents to Anne and Helen, they went about taking a closer look at their dolls house. But without scissors, they were restricted to looking at the box for the moment. It was at that moment that the first guest arrived: Sally.

“Merry Christmas everyone!” she said as she entered. The girls went to hug her, as a thank you for the dolls house. “Need any help in the kitchen?”

“Not at the moment.” came Anne's voice. “Just make youself comfy.”

Sally took off her coat and hung it up, before heading to the living room.

“So, I take it you like it then? Oh, can't get the box open.” she said to the girls. She took a nail file from her bag and used that to cut the tape on the box.

She then helped them take the house from the box. “Always need some assembly!” she said. She removed the parts from the bags and took the instructions. She helped the girls sort out the parts, then together, they managed to fit it all together.

“That was easy, to be fair.” she sighed. The girls then decided it was time for their dolls to move in and went upstairs to fetch them. Sally turned her attention to the new clothes that were piled neatly on the floor.

“Well, you've had plenty of presents, I see?” she called out.

“Yes, well, the kids mainly.” called Anne from the kitchen.

“Not this though!” she said, finding the black lace negligee. “You've got an admirer!”

Anne headed back to see what Sally was on about.

“Oh, yes, thats from Julia.” she said. “My lover.”

“Oh, of course, you told me you've gone lesbian.” said Sally.

“Julia Brier, her daughter is a best friend of my two.” she said.

“Well, she definitely likes you. This is one sexy number!” said Sally.

“Mom, I want my present opened!” asked Edward, who having seen the girls get their dolls house out of its packaging, was now eager to play with his train set.

“Ok, lets be quick.” she said and went over to open up the box for him.

“I'll do it if you're busy.” asked Sally. Anne accepted and allowed her to finish.

Soon, Edward was busy playing with his new train set. The bell rang again, to announce the main arrival.

* * *

“No worries, I'll get it!” said Anne, hurrying to the door. “John, you made it! Nice to see you.”

“Nice to see you too. Merry Christmas by the way.” said John.

“You too, so the traffic wasn't bad?” asked Anne.

“Not too bad. Few hold ups but we made it. Here's my wife Liz, my oldest son, James, daughter Emma and youngest son Michael.” added John, making the introductions,

“I see you've had some snow too.” said Liz. “We've had it bad up our way too.”

“Makes a change down here really.” said Anne. Anyway, nice to meet you all, please come in, please excuse the mess. Sally is already here by the way.”

“Hi bro!” said Sally, coming to greet him.

“Hi sis!” he said hugging her. “Oh, hi mom!” he noticed Helen in the kitchen.

“Great to see you son!” she called back. “Merry Christmas!”

Helen and Sally headed out of the hallway just to let everyone in. Liz was starting to look pregnant, nearly 4 months gone.

“Hi Liz, so then, what'd you want, another boy or girl?” asked Anne.

“Another girl would be nice, Emma wants a sister of course.” she said. “So, where are your clan?”

“I think the girls went upstairs.” said Anne. “Girls! Come and say hello to your aunt and uncle!” she called up the stairs.

The three visiting children came forward to see their female cousins come down the stairs.

“Sorry mommy, just dressing up our dolls.” said Jessica.

“Well, I'd like you to meet your Uncle John and Aunty Liz.” said Anne.

Jessica and Sandra stood at the bottom of the stairs and smiled. They soon saw how much John looked like their father Adam. But for the colour of his hair and more friendly face, John was a dead ringer for his brother.

“Hello.” they said in unison.

“John, Liz, these are my daughters: Sandra and Jessica. My son Edward is in the living room, playing with his new train set.”

Liz and John looked at the girls with wonder, for they knew that Jessica was more than what she appeared. Even so, they didn't bring the subject up but went on to compliment them on their clothes.

As for their children, only Emma was forward in saying hello. She was holding her baby doll in one hand.

“Hi, I'm Emma. I'm glad to have some girls to play with, having only brothers is a problem!” said Emma.

“Except when she has friends over from school.” added Liz.

“My name is Sandra.” said Sandra, holding her hand out in greeting. “This is my younger sister Jessica.”

Emma took Sandra's hand and then Jessica's. She didn't suspect a thing.

Well, what about you two?” asked Liz to the boys.

“Hello, my name is James.” said James. “This is Michael, who is afraid of girls, though I don't know why and he doesn't seem to know either.”

Michael, the youngest boy, with longish hair, did seem hurt by that comment but still showed reluctance to say hello.

“James!” said Liz. “No need for that. Michael, why don't you say hello? They won't bite.”

James shut up and headed for the living room while Michael just about said hello.

“Is it true?” said Jessica. “That your brother is afraid of girls?”

“It appears to be.” said Emma. “Though no one knows why.”

“Ok, can we all go in the living room please.” said Anne. “Sally, I could do with some help in the kitchen.”

“Coming, Anne.” said Sally.

“I'll go and fetch a few things out of the car.” said John.

In the living room, Emma was soon shown the new dolls house. She was soon getting along well with her cousins and playing along happily.

Michael had sat by his mother and was watching Edward with his train set. He didn't like how James had mentioned his problem.

“So, how are you Liz?” asked Helen, who had taken a time out from the kitchen.

“Not bad at all, mom.” she replied. “Starting to show. At least I'm keeping myself busy, though I will be after Easter!”

John came in with a number of presents.

“There's a few more still to come.” he said as he put them down on the living room floor. “No touching them till I've brough the rest in.”

His words were aimed at the children, obviously.

“At last, presents.” said Emma.

“You haven't had your's yet?” asked Sandra.

“No.” said Emma. “We usually open them when we get to gran's house. But we're here instead.”

“Well, gran lives here now.” said Jessica. “Nice doll you have there.”

“Oh, this is Gemma.” said Emma, showing her doll to Jessica and Sandra. “I've got more back at home, but she is my favourite.”

Jessica and Sandra wanted to show Emma their room, but the arrival of the final batch of presents put that idea on hold. Soon the sound of tearing wrapping paper filled the room once more.

As for presents, James got a new Nintendo DS, Michael got two Ben 10 DVD box sets and Emma got some clothes for herself and her doll.

Jessica and Sandra were both given dolls, baby ones with dummies and feeding bottles. Edward was given a radio controlled Thomas the Tank Engine.

Jessica and Sandra were thrilled with their new dolls and couldn't wait to get them out of their boxes and play with them.

For now, Michael's mind had been taken off the girls by the new DVDs he been given. Liz was helping him read the episode descriptions on the back. James was already unpacking his new console and thanking Liz for it.

“So, do you like your presents?” asked John, who had come back from the kitchen where he had given Sally and Anne their gifts.

“Thanks dad!” said James, who now eager to play on his DS.

“Thank you dad,” said Michael.

“Thank you Uncle John.” said Jessica and Sandra in unison.

Edward needed some persuasion but said thank you eventually.

Michael was glad when the girls left the living room and headed upstairs.

John went to the kitchen again and was joined by Liz.

“So, what do you think of my girls?” asked Anne.

“You did say one was a boy?” asked John. “Because from what I've seen, I'd say you were lying.”

“Jessica is girl in spirit, that is certain.” said Anne. “The fact that she looks like a girl, is an even bigger plus.”

“Trust me bro, she'll never have to worry about passing.” said Sally. “She's a natural.”

“Seeing her play with the dolls house, she looked comfortable in every way.” said Liz.

* * *

In the girls bedroom, Emma was still oblivious to Jessica's secret, and for now, that was going to be the case for a while. For now, Emma was complimenting the sisters on their dresses, and taking a closer look at the clothes her parents had bought her.

“I love clothes.” she told them. “I've got loads of dresses but I always like more.”

“Same here.” said Sandra. “But we've shared clothes too. Isn't that right sis?”

“Yes, it is.” smiled Jessica.

“I really do wish I had a sister. You are so lucky.” said Emma.

“Yes, we are.” smiled Sandra. She looked at Jessica who smiled back knowingly.

“So, I see you like your dolls.” said Emma.

Jessica and Sandra were now “feeding” their new dolls and obviously enjoying it.

“I've never had a baby doll before.” said Jessica. “I've got a doll called Lucy.”

“I've got a friend at school called Lucy.” said Emma.

Jessica put down her new doll and fetched Lucy. It was the doll that Julia had bought her in July.

“She's nice.” said Emma.

“So, what's this about your brother Michael?” asked Sandra.

“As I've said, I don't know. But a few weeks ago, he started running away from every girl at school. He started keeping away from me too. If I asked him what was wrong, he started being rude to me.” said Emma.

“How odd.” said Jessica.

“But I started getting my own back and told him I'd put a dress on him if he kept being rude.” said Emma. “Now he really is scared of me.”

“I wonder if we can find out what his problem is?” asked Sandra.

“It would be nice to find out. Not even mommy and daddy have got an answer out of him.” said Emma.

“We'll force him to answer.” said Sandra. “If he doesn't say why he fears girls, we'll dress him like one. He looks a bit like one with his long hair.”

“That sounds like a good idea.” said Emma.

Jessica wasn't sure, but said nothing.

“We'll wait till he comes upstairs. He's bound to need the toilet sooner or later and he'll have to pass this door to get there.” said Sandra, the plan quickly forming in her mind.

For now, Michael was watching some of his DVDs on the television. James was still absorbed in his new games console. Liz and John were also in the living room, talking to Helen. Sally and Anne were content for now to be busy in the kitchen preparing the dinner.

“Michael, surely you can tell us what is wrong?” asked Helen.

Michael just shook his head and turned his attention back to the television screen.

“He simply won't tell.” said John. “Something is frightening him.”

“Is he still being bullied?” asked Helen.

“No, I'm not.” said Michael. “He gave up.”

“So, what is your problem?” asked Helen. “You can tell us. We won't bite.”

Still no answer. Michael's fear had a strong hold on him and it would need to be disproven to make him talk.

“Look, if you have a problem, we can help you. But if you don't tell us what it is, we can't do anything about it.” said Helen.

But Michael was only interested in watching his DVD. Helen just looked to John and Liz and shook her head. She decided to go back to the kitchen and see if anything needed doing.

“I can't get an answer out of Michael.” she told Anne and Sally. “Something is playing on his mind, scaring him into silence.”

“But they said he was no longer being bullied.” said Sally. “They phoned a few weeks ago and said he had beaten his bullies.”

“I think they've hit back” said Helen. “Not physically but mentally. He is scared of girls and won't explain why.”

“And unless he explains his fear, he'll never overcome it.” said Anne.

“And to overcome it, you have to face it.” said Sally. “I've had a few in the past, but I'm past them now.”

“So, how long before dinner is served?” asked Helen, now changing the subject.

“Got the vegetables on the go. The turkey is about half hour away while the beef joint is nearly done.” said Anne. “By the way, what vegetables should I do the children?”

“I'll go and ask.” said Helen.

As well as asking which vegetables they liked, she decided to ask about puddings too. Anne had bought 2 steamed chocolate puddings as well as a Christmas pudding. She was thankful about getting 2 chocolate puddings as she didn't expect Sally to want some.

“Never liked Christmas pudding.” said Sally. “Tried it a few years ago and didn't like it.”

“More for us then.” said Anne. “You sure the children don't like it?”

“When I offered the choice of Christmas pudding or chocolate pudding, there was only one answer.” said Helen.

“Kids love chocolate!” smiled Sally.

* * *

One problem had arisen days earlier in the form of kitchen space and furniture. There were only 6 chairs and with 11 in attendance, there was a problem

“Some will just have to sit in the living room.” said John. “Let the kids sit around the table.”

There were 3 kitchen stools, but that still meant 2 would have to sit in the living room. In the end, John and Helen decided to sit in the living room. They did join the main party for the pulling of crackers and toasting each others health.

“Note to self.” said Anne. “Buy more chairs and a bigger table.”

“Don't worry about that now, everything else has turned out fine.” said John as he collected glasses of wine for himself and Helen. The children had been given soft drinks while the adults had wine.

Michael sat between his mom and brother, and tried to avoid eye contact with the girls. They gave no hint of their plans and so, Michael thought he was safe.

“So, what happened to our Uncle Adam?” asked James, now keen to find out about the uncle he had never seen, and was never likely to see either.

“He found himself another woman.” said Anne. “I'm sorry to say this to you, but he wasn't a nice person.”

“What did he do?” asked James.

“I'm not going to say, but he treated my children very poorly.” added Anne. “No more talking about him please, he's out of my life and I'm very much pleased about it.”

Sally gave Anne a knowing glance. She was happy to see Anne avoid the main reason for now.

“Well, I hope you enjoyed your dinners.” said Anne to the children. “But puddings only come to those with clean plates.”

“She's not joking.” said Sally.

There were obviously plates that were not cleared as knives and forks were soon back in hands.

Puddings were served, with all the children and Sally getting the chocolate pudding. Anne had served that with custard while the Christmas pudding was served with brandy sauce.

Afterwards, the girls returned to their room and continued talk about their plan to trap Michael.

“I hope this works.” said Emma. “He should need the toilet sometime.”

Sandra and Jessica had sorted out a dress and some ribbons for his hair. Emma and Sandra were looking forward to seeing him dressed up, though Jessica still felt a little awkward about it.

Michael did get the need to go. He had been in the living room once more, watching the television. The adults had decided to see what was on and that left Michael in a state of boredom. He had been asking James if he could play on his DS, but had had to remain a spectator.

“Someone's coming!” said Sandra. “I can hear them.”

She waited till the footsteps had passed their door and then looked out.

“It's him!” she hissed. “Get ready.”

Sandra and Emma stood by the door waiting. They listened for Michael's footsteps once more. When they heard him getting closer, they burst out and made a grab for him.

Michael was scared to his wit's end, but his escape never came. Sandra and Emma grabbed him and dragged him into their room.

“GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!” he cried. “LEAVE ME ALONE!!!”

“Not till you explain what your problem is with girls.” asked Emma closing the door.

“No, I can't.” said Michael.

“Why not?!” asked Sandra.

“I told you, I can't say.” he replied.

“Ok, dress him.” said Emma.

“WHAT?!” he cried. “No! Not a dress!! HELP!!!!!!!!”

“Tell us then!” said Sandra.

Michael shook his head and that meant his torment would continue. They forced him out of his clothes and into the dress. Tears were running down his face as he felt a hairbrush being passed through his hair. He could feel the ribbons being tied into it. For him, the emotions were mixed, as part of him was actually enjoying it, but the fear part was telling him that utter humiliation was coming as a result.

They stood him before a mirror and he looked at the girl staring back at him.

“Ok, now tell us what your problem is!” said Emma.

Michael was too busy crying to answer.

“What have we got to do to make him talk?” asked Emma.

“Take him downstairs.” said Sandra. “We've just got to scare the answer out of him.”

Michael's already terror stricken face moved up a notch at those words.

“No, please no! They'll laugh at me!” he said.

“Tell us then!” said Emma. “You're not helping yourself.”

“Why are you afraid of girls?” asked Sandra.

“Because you want to do this to me.” he said at last.

“Is that it?!” asked Emma. “You've been running from us because you think we want to dress you up?”

Michael nodded.

“You idiot! I made those threats because you were being rude to me!” said Emma.

“But all girls want to dress me up as one of them.” said Michael.

“What?” asked Emma. “Who told you this?”

“Billy.” he replied.

Emma sat on the Jessica's bed and sighed. “You believed him?!”

“Who's Billy?” asked Sandra.

“The school bully who he got the better of.” said Emma. “But why would he say something like that?”

“Because I was watching you play with your friends.” said Michael.

“So, what's wrong with that?” asked Emma.

“I want to join in your games.” said Michael. “I'm jealous of you.”

Emma and Sandra stood there, taking all this in. Jessica looked on and she had an idea what he meant.

“You want to be a girl, don't you?” she asked him.

Michael looked at her with wonder. “But I'm a boy. If I dress like this, everyone will laugh at me, make fun of me. They'll call me sissy and idiot.”

“I'm not laughing.” said Jessica. “I'm not making fun of you. You're no idiot or sissy either.”

“But I am an idiot for being like this.” he replied.

“You are not an idiot.” said Jessica. “Because I'm no idiot either.”

Even Emma was wondering what was going on. Sandra knew of course, but even she was surprised.

“What do you mean?” asked Michael. “You're a girl. No one will call you an idiot for wearing dresses.”

“That is where you are wrong.” said Jessica. “I'm really a boy.”

Michael's expression of utter disbelief was matched by Emma.

“You can't be.” said Michael. “You don't look like one.”

“Thanks.” said Jessica. “But, I am a boy, but I'm becoming a girl.”

Then, to their amazement, Jessica lifted up her dress and pulled down her panties, followed by her gaff. Both Emma and Michael were stunned.

“I've been playing dolls and dolls houses with a boy?!” said Emma.

“Jessica is no boy at heart though.” said Sandra. “She is my sister and I'm proud of her.”

* * *

Michael's shouts of terror hadn't gone unnoticed downstairs. John and Anne had come to see what was going on. It was a sight to behold.

“What is going on here?” he asked, as he saw the girls and Michael standing, looking at one another.

“Jessica is a boy!” said Emma. “She is a he!”

“I know that.” said John. “But what is Michael doing in a dress?”

“You know about Jessica?!” said Emma.

“We've got to the bottom of his problem.” said Sandra.

“Calm down.” said Anne. “It's clear that some explaining is needed.”

“Yes, it is!” said Emma.

“But what about Michael?” asked John.

Both adults entered the room and sat down on the beds. Anne shut the door behind her.

“So, which shall it be first? Explaining Jessica or Michael?”

“What is her real name?” asked Emma pointing at Jessica.

“Jessica.” said Anne. “Her name is Jessica.”

“But that is a girl's name! She's a boy!” said Emma.

“Calm down Emma and let me explain.” said Anne. “Jessica is a boy physically, but she has the mind of a girl. She wants to be a girl and we're letting her become one. Her name really is Jessica now. We changed her name legally. She now goes to school, has friends and is very happy.”

“Her friends know about her too and they don't care that she is a boy.” said Sandra.

“Has she behaved like a boy to you?” asked Anne.

“No.” said Emma. “She has behaved like a girl.”

“Well then. There's your answer.” said Anne.

“Emma, I love being a girl.” said Jessica. “I'm so much happier now. I'll let you brush my hair if you like.”

Emma thought for a moment, looked at Jessica and then smiled. “I'm sorry. You really are a girl at heart, aren't you?”

Jessica went over and hugged Emma, their friendship restored.

“Now, what about you?” asked John to Michael.

Michael had been listening to Jessica's story and the fears in his head were subsiding.

“Dad, I........ want.... to... be a girl too.” he replied nervously. “I was scared that you would laugh at me if I told you.”

John looked at Michael and thought hard. He hadn't been expecting this and the shock on his face was plain to see.

“You sure about this?” he asked. “Because if you are, I promise I will never laugh.”

“I am. I really do want to be a girl.” said Michael, his voice low. “Please forgive me, I've been such an idiot.”

“You can be a girl if you want.” said John. “And you're no idiot.” He took Michael and gave him a hug.

“Thank you daddy.” said Michael, tears once again flowing.

“So, how does this explain his fear of girls?” asked John. “If he wants to be one, why does he run from them?”

“The bully called Billy tricked him.” said Emma. “He told him that we would force him into girls clothes.”

“But you have.” said Anne. “Even put ribbons in his hair.”

“We wanted to know why he ran away from us.” said Emma. “We thought we could get the answer by doing this.”

“We did get the answer.” said Sandra. “But if he wants to be a girl, why did he refuse to dress as one?”

“I was afraid people would laugh at me.” said Michael. “Now I know Billy was wrong.”

“This Billy, was he the one who bullied you before?” asked John.

Michael nodded.

“Ok, we need to do something about him,” said John. “When you go back to school, I want him reported.”

“But he said he'd given up on me.” said Michael.

“He obviously lied.” said Emma. “You got the better of him and he wanted to get you back for it.”

“He never came back at me though.” said Michael.

“He didn't have to.” said John. “He just planted a lie in your head and that was it. You should never have believed him.”

“I'm sorry Emma. I've been such a fool.” said Michael.

“Come here brother.” said Emma, offering him a hug. “Or should I say, sister?”

Anne looked at John. He looked back at her. There was going to be a whole lot more explaining to do.

* * *

We can't have you going downstairs in those clothes.” said John. “Not yet.”

“Can you help him back into his own clothes?” asked Anne. “We'll be downstairs.”

“So, you want to be my sister?” asked Emma.

“I do.” said Michael. “I wish I had been born a girl.”

“What else did this bully tell you?” asked Jessica.

“He told me that a boy dressed as a girl last year and ran away because everyone laughed at him.” said Michael.

“Rubbish.” said Emma. “If there was a boy, I never saw him. Plus Billy would have been telling everyone to laugh at him.”

“So, why did he hate you?” asked Jessica. “Because you wanted to be a girl?”

“No, he never knew. It was because I have long hair.” said Michael. “I do want it longer though.”

“Wait a minute, you persuaded mommy and daddy to let you grow your hair because you want to be a girl?!” said Emma. “Not because boys in America do it?”

Michael nodded again. “I have admired the way you look for ages. Your hair is so nice.”

“Well, I think we need some tissues here.” said Sandra. “A young girl has got tears on her pretty face.”

“So, are you getting your own clothes back on?” asked Jessica.

“Not yet.” said Emma. “I'm not finished with him yet.”

Michael looked worried. But he needn't have been. Sandra had just been to the bathroom and got some tissue paper. She wiped Michael's face and let him be.

“Ok, that's better.” said Emma. “Now, Michael. Have a look in the mirror and tell me what you really think.”

He stood and looked at himself. He turned to look at everyone and they were smiling. He smiled back and returned to his reflection. Emma got up and stood behind him.

“So?” she asked.

“I look wonderful.” he smiled.

“A girl always looks nice when she is happy.” said Emma. “So Michelle, ready to be my sister?”

Michael turned and looked at her. “Michelle?”

“We can't have a girl called Michael, can we?” she said.

“No, of course not.” he smiled. “But what about the others?”

“Change back to Michael first.” said Jessica. “I had to become Peter from time to time a few months ago.”

“So, that was your boy's name?” said Emma.

“Was.” said Jessica. “I'm now Jessica everyday.”

Michael was soon getting out of the dress and having the ribbons removed from his hair. He was, minutes later, back in his boy's attire.

Anne reappeared around the door asking if he was coming down. When she saw him dressed as a boy again, she let him out.

“Don't worry. We haven't told your brother yet.” said Anne.

“What about mom, Aunt Sally and gran?” he asked.

“They're prepared to speak to you.” said Anne. “Don't be afraid though.”

Despite her words, Michael entered the kitchen where the adults were gathered with a look of anxiety.

“Michael, don't worry, we don't bite.” said Liz.

“I hear you've found out about Jessica then?” asked Sally.

“I know about her now.” said Michael. “Is she going to be a complete girl?”

“If you mean by having her boy parts removed, then yes.” said Helen. “But it won't be for a while yet.”

“So, you feel the same way then?” asked Sally. “But what was all this running away from girls all about?”

John decided to tell them the details, but Michael filled in parts along the way.

“Well, that is a strange tale if ever there was one.” said Helen. “But the bully must either have known what you were doing or guessed well.”

“Now.” said Liz. “Your father and I are prepared to let you get your wish. We'll help you become a girl, but we need to sort a few things out yet.”

“Yes.” said John. “First, we need to sort this bully out. He shouldn't be allowed to hurt others in this way. Secondly, we need you to keep quiet about becoming a girl.”

“You mean I can't tell anyone?” asked Michael.

“You can't.” said John. “If you do, you may find other children ready to bully you. We don't want that.”

The three girls entered the kitchen and were welcomed in.

“Where's James?” asked Emma.

“In the living room, watching the telly or playing on his DS still.” said Liz.

“Are you going to tell him?” asked Michael.

“I'll tell him.” said John. “But back to you. When we get home, we'll let you become a girl for a while.”

“A while?” said Michael. “But I want to be a girl all the time.”

“That time will come.” said John. “But for now, you can be a girl at home. I'm sure Emma can help you with clothes.”

“Can I grow my hair longer?” he added.

“I think you should keep it like that for now.” said Liz. “No offense, but if it gets longer, it may get more attention at school.”

“So when can I grow it longer?” he asked, sounding impatient.

“Michael, you cannot rush this.” said John. “Jessica had to wait a while before she could be a girl all the time. You will too.”

“Michael. You'll be ok.” said Jessica.

“You'd better get used to these too.” said Emma. She went to him and hugged him.

“Well, I think we'd better continue with the Christmas party.” said Anne.

Just then, James came in and noticed everyone gathered round the table.

“What's going on?” he asked. “What are you all talking about?”

“We've just found out what was troubling your brother.” said John. “But don't go asking him any questions now. He'll tell you when he's ready.”

* * *

As they left for the living room, John took the girls to one side.

“Don't tell James. Leave that to me.” he told them. “He will probably take it harder than you did.”

The girls heeded his words and said nothing. Indeed, nothing more about Michael was said that day, not to the children at any rate.

As the afternoon drifted into evening, Anne was back in the kitchen preparing supper. She had already removed some cakes from the freezer and was letting them thaw out. She was now preparing sandwiches for everyone.

“More turkey?” asked Sally, who was once again helping.

“I've got plenty, and I'm using some tomorrow when the girls' friends come round for the day.” said Anne.

“I just can't believe what has happened.” said Sally. “Michael is transgendered.”

“It happens.” said Anne.

“But this is the third time, after me and Jessica.” said Sally.

“I think John is shocked too.” said Anne. “It will take a while for the dust to settle.”

“You bet it will.” said Sally. “But at least Michael has a father who understands him.”

“Of course, but Jessica has coped without one for now.” said Anne.

“I didn't mean it like that.” said Sally. “John has done a lot for me over the past few years. I really value him as a brother and a friend.”

“Sorry, but what can you do when your ex-husband is a prejudiced cow?” said Anne.

“I know.” said Sally. “But thankfully, the rest of his kin are not.”

“Yes.” said Anne. “Now lets serve these sandwiches.”

Everyone was sat in the living room now, with the adults taking the chairs and the children sat on the floor. James had taken a break from his games console for once, and was now, like everyone else, tucking in to his sandwiches. He was wondering what all the talking had been about, even though John had told him not to ask. He did notice that something had altered though: Michael's fear of his sister was no longer there and he seemed more happy.

The time was being passed by the playing of Christmas carols on the music system. It was better than what the television offered at the time, and so there was little talking and plenty of listening.

The only breaks in the monotony were when Anne went to the kitchen to fetch the cakes. Apart from some frozen gateaus and a cheesecake, she brought some mince pies in too.

“Let me give you a hand.” said Helen. “You can't do it all by yourself.”

“Thanks.” said Anne. “Could you put the kettle on, please?”

“Certainly.” said Helen.

Anne had just carried a number of plates and spoons into the living room. Helen soon followed with two bottles of squirty cream and a couple of cake slices. Soon, the food was joined by drinks, hot ones for the adults and more soft drinks for the children.

After everyone had eaten their fill of sandwiches and cake, the children were getting a bit restless. Emma still owed Jessica an appointment with a hairbrush, and with that in mind, the three girls went back to their room. Michael watched them leave and wondered if he should join them. John just shook his head and Michael slumped his.

James, now playing on his console again (it was now plugged into the mains to recharge), noticed Michael's expression and his curiosity was aroused once more. John noticed this and he realised that keeping James in the dark was something that needed to end sooner rather than later. But James would have to be patient still, as John didn't want the subject brought up again until their visit was over.

The girls were once again playing with dolls, though Jessica removed the clips from her hair and let Emma brush it.

“I still can't believe you enjoy all this.” said Emma.

“But I do.” said Jessica. “Being a girl is so much fun.”

“So, how long have you felt like a girl?” asked Emma.

“Since I was about 3. I know I was very young.” said Jessica. “My daddy didn't like it.”

“Your daddy didn't like you?” said Emma. “Why?”

“Because I feel like a girl. He wanted me to be a boy.” said Jessica.

“Is that why your daddy isn't here now?” asked Emma.

“Yes.” said Jessica.

“I hope you get another daddy, one that does like you.” said Emma. “I like your hair, you must like it too.”

“I do, though it's still too short.” smiled Jessica.

“Oh, don't worry about that.” said Emma. “Nice colour too.”

Jessica had to smile at that, with them both having dark brown hair.

“I have to admit.” put in Sandra, who was feeding her doll again. “Michael makes a nice girl.”

“I hope so.” said Emma. “But I have to admit, he used to spy on me when I had my friends around.”

“He obviously wanted to join you.” said Jessica. “Now he can.”

“Actually, I'm looking forward to having him as a sister.” said Emma. “I'm actually going to have a sister!”

“You'll love having one. I do.” said Sandra.

“But, how do you get away with anyone seeing your...willy?” asked Emma.

“I've got special panties.” said Jessica. “They hide it and make me look like a girl too.”

“Michael will need some of them too, then.” said Emma. “You go to school like that, I wonder if Michael will be going as a girl now?”

“I had to wait till September before I could.” said Jessica. “After spending one year as a boy.”

“What year are you in?” asked Emma.

“I'm a second year.” said Jessica.

“But you're 6 and Michael is 6, but he is a first year.” said Emma.

“My birthday is in March.” said Jessica.

“Oh, of course! James' birthday is in April. He's 2 years older than me but 3 years in front of me at school.” said Emma. “I have the same problem. My birthday is in October. I was almost 6 when I started school. Same for Michael. His birthday was last month.”

“Our birthdays are days apart, so we just have one party.” said Sandra. “We're dressing as princesses for our next one.”

“How nice.” said Emma. “Shame we live so far away, I'd like to come.”

“It's my first birthday as a girl, too.” said Jessica.

“Good for you.” said Emma. “I hope we can meet again, not just at Christmas.”

“I hope so too.” said Jessica.

* * *

The time had come for the families to say their farewells. James was still oblivious to the developments in Michael's life, and all three of John's children were still to learn about Sally too.

“Have you got a computer?” asked John to Anne, just before they prepared to leave.

“Yes, why?” asked Anne.

“Here's my email address.” he replied, handing her a piece of paper. “We can keep in touch that way as well as by phone. We can send pictures too.”

“That would be great.” said Anne. “I'm sure my daughters would be interested to see what your lot are up to.”

“That's what I'm thinking.” he smiled. “I'll get James to accept his brother's decision. He'll find it hard, but I should imagine he'll cope.”

James was still wondering what had come over Michael. He noticed him talking to the girls.

“Well, bye then.” said Michael. “Thanks for helping me.”

“What are friends for?” asked Sandra.

“Be a good girl for your sister.” whispered Jessica into his ear.

“I will be.” he replied. “I feel kind of nervous, and excited.”

James continued to watch them as Michael received hugs as well as Emma.

“Are you going to say goodbye too?” asked Liz. “It would be rude not to.”

James obliged and went to speak to Jessica and Sandra.

“Bye. Nice meeting you.” he said.

“Thanks.” said Sandra. “You could be a bit more friendly though. Us girls don't bite.”

“What did you do to my brother?” he then added.

“We told him the truth. That girls are not scary and like being friendly.” said Jessica.

James thought about it and shook his head. For now, that seemed to do, but his appetite for information on the subject wasn't satisfied.

Everyone stood on the doorstep, watching as John and his family got into their car and drove off, beeping their horn in farewell.

When the car was out of sight, they went indoors.

“Well, that was eventful.” said Anne. “Enjoyable but with a few surprises thrown in.”

“You said it.” said Sally. “But I thought for a moment that I would have to come out too.”

“One step at a time.” said Helen. “They've got to get over Michael first. James will be hard to convince but John will manage it, I'm sure.”

“Emma would like to come to our birthday party.” said Jessica. “It would be nice if Michelle came too.”

“If they can, they will.” said Anne. “But who is Michelle?”

The answer had struck her just as she said it.

“So, that's the name he'll be using.” she added. “But, we'll see. They do have a long way to come.”

“Whether Liz will come then, I'm not sure.” said Helen.

“Yes, you have a point there.” said Anne. “So, Sally, you stopping the night?”

“Me? Oh, I'll be off soon. Might pop round tomorrow, seeing that I'm back at work the following day.” said Sally.

“Ok, I think it's time you lot went to bed. Another busy day for you, with your friends visiting.”

Before going to bed however, they said goodbye to Sally.

“You see!” said Sandra as she got into bed. “Another boy has seen how much better it is to be a girl.”

“You forget, young lady, that those boys you speak of, believe they are girls.” said Anne. “James, your other cousin, he is as boyish as you get.”

“He didn't seem interested at all.” said Jessica. “Didn't want to speak to us.”

“Because you're girls.” said Anne. “It's that simple. Now go to sleep. Goodnight.”

Sally headed home moments later and soon Anne and Helen decided to turn in.

“I'm leaving the washing up for tomorrow morning.” said Anne. “I've worked my socks off today.”

“Ok, but I'll give you a hand. Goodnight.” said Helen.

“Goodnight.” said Anne.

up
116 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another great part

What a great chapter...I hope there's more coming. I read it at Fiction mania, but after the wedding... it stopped. Hope more will be coming!!!

TGSine --958

All those understanding parents!

Not quite the reaction I got as a young boy when I told them I wanted to be a girl !!!!!!!! If only Daddy could see me now and what a man he made of me, giggle

glad for Micheal

getting the fear out is a big step.

DogSig.png

Enjoying this

I also read it at FictionMania and hope there will be more (once you recover from the mammoth effort so far). I'd like to see Michelle get to go to school as the girl she is.

Joanna

The turth about Michael and Jessica

This chapter shocked me in a way. But with a family
that show love and respect everything comes out okay in the end.

Wolf_0.jpg

Well, this is certainly a

Well, this is certainly a Christmas that the two families will soon forget. Girls "popping" out of the woodwork so to speak. Edward and James are now in the minority in each family, but I do believe they will both be okay in their masculinity, and as cousins just may become extremely close friends as Edward grows up.
I look for James to become a real protector of his new little sister, and woe to any who try to attack her or his other sister Emma.