Magic of the Kingdom - 1 - I Spy a Pixie!

Printer-friendly version
Magic-Kingdom-title.jpg

Josh Peterson has just scored the job of a lifetime - or at least the best job he can hope for without leaning on his parents for references - as a janitor at The Magic Kingdom, but when fate intervenes and he finds himself alone with the costume of his favorite Pixie Hollow character, his life takes a whole new turn.


A short, long black haired young man shoved a broom around a large empty changing room. He had a bit of a small frame, and while definitely pale, had a bit of Native American to his features, no facial hair at all. He moved deliberately, a little closed off. He just started this job today, and the park was already open so he figured now would be the best time to clean.

When he stopped at the “Pixie” changing area, he noticed five new costumes, one of them being Silvermist’s. He secretly adored Silvermist. He loved all the pixies, but Silvermist was his favorite. He could even do her voice flawlessly - a trick he honed over years of practice thanks to his younger sister.

The craftsmanship of the outfit like all the others was amazing. Disney spared no expense for it’s entertainers. The day before he had spent the entire day at the park getting to know the layout and he watched some of them from a distance. It looked like a lot of fun. He especially thought that Alice and the Hatter really got into character. He knew he could never do that.

He was far too shy, for one, and for another, he had a bad case of gynecomastia, a side effect of the anti-depressants in his early teen years. Still, he refused surgery, binding them during swim practice, and wearing a ‘support’ as he put it, and loose, baggy clothes otherwise.

The entertainers though, were constantly mingling with or going on rides with guests, and even when they were taking breaks, they seemed in character. Being something of an introvert though, the thought of performing made his stomach queasy. Still, he stopped and stared at the beautifully crafted outfits for several long seconds. No one else was going to be coming through for awhile, as Tinkerbell and Periwinkle were both out at Pixie Hollow. What would be the harm in trying it on, just for a second?

He was amazed at how well it fit. It hugged his body perfectly and, with his somewhat messy, dark hair, he looked strikingly like the character. Just as Josh had gotten the wings on he heard the familiar laugh of the Hatter, “Oh over here, the Pixies get their new leaf dresses ready for the day. And oh lookie lookie! I spy a Pixie!”

Josh froze. He didn’t want to turn around, but he didn’t have to. He could see the reflection in the wall mirror of not only Hatter, but Alice, and a number of park guests pouring in with them.

Alice picked up, “I think it’s Tink’s friend Silvermist!”

“Oooh, she’s the water fairy!” Hatter said, clapping excitedly as “Silvermist” slowly turned around, forcing a smile even though he really wanted to make a break for the door and never look back. “I just bet she brews the most magnificent tea!” He turned to Alice. “Good tea begins with good water, you know!”

A few of the really young girls all gasped.

“She does look like Silvermist!” one of the younger girls who was dressed like Tinkerbell said excitedly as she approached Josh to have him sign her signature book.

Josh was never the most masculine boy anyway, and with plenty of practice, knew Silvermist’s voice and mannerisms almost by heart, reenacting various Pixies’ voices for his sister Annabell. All he had to do was endure a few minutes of doing the voice, and then he could change back, and turn in his resignation to avoid causing a scene when they found out he wasn’t even a girl, let alone an actress.

“Well that’s because I am Silvermist, Dew Drop,” he said in his best Silvermist voice as he knelt down to sign her autograph book. He even dotted the ‘i’ with a little heart. “I just flew in from Neverland this morning, and boy are my wings tired.” The girl giggled, delighted, as she hugged Josh. Several more girls took pictures with him and had him sign their books as well.

“You know, I think Tinkerbell needs a break.” Alice announced. “Why don’t we take Silvermist over to Pixie Hollow?”

“Saaay,” Hatter said as he put his hand to his chin in the most animated way possible, eyeing “Silvermist” carefully. Silvermist gulped nervously. Did he read “her”? Was he about to out her in front of everyone?

“Yes?” Silvermist asked sweetly.

“I bet you could help me get my tea pot back!”

Alice looked at the Hatter, shocked. “Tink stole it again didn’t she?”

“YES!” he pronounced loudly as he crossed his arms. “She just-” he paused and made a fluttering motion with his fingers toward his jacket, “Whisked right in and stole it, and after I stole it back fair and square too!” he harrumphed, causing the crowd to giggle again.

“Oh, gosh, that’s terrible,” Silvermist mock gasped. “Tink would never do such a horrible thing would she?” she asked, turning to the semicircle of young girls, and even a few boys, around her for confirmation.

“Nooo!” a few of the young girls answered excitedly.

“Oh, phooey!” Hatter replied as he hooked his arm with Silvermist’s. “Let’s just go see what Little Miss Teapot Stealer has to say about it!”

“Oh, but I haven’t even put on my face yet-” Josh tried to protest, hoping to wriggle his way out of leaving the dressing room.

“Oh nonsense!” Alice replied warmly in her practiced British accent as she walked along on the other side. “You look positively radiant!”

“Must be the don’t drops I made earlier.” Silvermist giggled out naturally, trying to balance staying in character with calculating how to avoid a jail term for impersonating a pixie.

Hatter stopped, put his hands on his hips, and stared down at Josh. “The don’t drops? Oh that’s very clever!” he giggled, and then hooked his arm with Josh’s again so they could continue.

“You mean you’ve never heard of don’t drops?” Josh asked, starting to really get into character now.

“No, dew tell?” The Hatter annunciated carefully.

“Well they’re like dew drops, except that-”

“Except that they don’t!” Hatter replied excitedly.

Alice giggled, “Oh, I get it, they’re dew drops that you don’t drop?”

“OH! There she is!” Hatter exclaimed. “STOP THAT TEA POT THIEF!” he announced loudly, and the chase was on as Tinker Bell, giggling, raced across an open avenue back for the safety of Pixie Hollow.

The three of them along with the group they had been leading gave chase after Tink, and upon arrival, the Hatter called, “Come out, come out Tinker Bell! We have your friend, Silvermist!”

Tink parted two extremely large blades of grass and poked her head out. “Oh hi Hatter! I didn’t see you there,” she said, giving an exaggerated wink to the growing crowd.

Alice looked at Tinker Bell, “The Hatter here says you stole his tea pot again. Is that true?”

Tinker Bell looked shocked and gasped. “What? No of course not! It was an unbirthday gift,” she said with an affirming nod. “Right Silvermist?”

“See, I told you, Tink would never steal anything.” Silvermist added reassuringly.

“Oh it was?!” Hatter replied. “Well why didn’t you say so!”

Alice giggled. “Why, it must be her unbirthday today?”

“It is?! Why it’s my unbirthday too!” Hatter announced proudly. “This calls for tea!” he shouted, and pantomimed pouring a cup of invisible tea for himself, Alice, Silvermist, and a few of the guests as Tinkerbell looked at Josh for a moment.

“If you’ll excuse us though, Silvermist and I must go let Fairy Mary know she’s here,” she said in a practiced, professional tone.

“Oh... If this is about the fishing pole I borrowed, I left a note with Clank,” Silvermist said sheepishly as she followed Tinkerbell. They passed further into Pixie Hollow, and before long Josh found himself in a kind of ‘backstage’ area of the park..

“You’re a lifesaver,” he sighed as he hung his head.

“Who are you?” Tinkerbell asked. “I thought that the new pixies’ auditions were tomorrow,” she stated as they continued to walk through the large backstage-like area. It was the only word Josh could put to it. It was somewhat well lit, a bit like an office hallway, but with props, costume racks, even finished and unfinished set pieces occasionally leaning against walls.

“This was all just a horrible mistake,” Josh answered. “I’m not even supposed to be... I mean... I’m just a janitor. But I saw the costumes, and I just couldn’t help myself, and then Hatter and Alice walked in and dragged me along, and I couldn’t say no so I just played along. I’m so sorry,” he rambled.

“I’m not mad at all, “ Tinkerbell shook her head. “Besides, it’s just me and Periwinkle out there, we could really use another Pixie in the hollow right now.”

Tinkerbell stopped, at that, outside a large oak door. A sign on the door read “Gennine McDonnell,” with “Casting Director” below it, and the iconic Mickey Mouse three circles emblem in between the two.

“Come in,” a slightly older woman’s voice called from the other side. Tink opened the door on a nicely decorated office, with posters of various disney characters on the wall, Disney and Star Wars statuettes on the large mahogany desk, even an empty Goofy costume sitting on the sofa as if someone were wearing it, and a woman with wavy, platinum blonde hair seated at the desk with an iPad in hand. Josh lingered outside, as Tinkerbell entered.

“Tinkerbell, or should I say, Olivia, sweetie, why aren't you out in the park?” The woman asked.

“Come on in ‘Silvermist’,” Tink called over her shoulder. The woman put down her iPad and leaned forward. Olivia had just gotten her undivided attention.

Josh came through the door, slowly but not near as shy as he was when he first donned the costume. He was in character now, and Silvermist was anything but shy.

“Hello Fairy Mary.” Silvermist bowed graciously. “I didn’t mean to dress like this; it just sort of happened... And then the Hatter and Alice whisked me away, and-”

The woman laughed softly. “Olivia, she’s perfect! I just need a name so I can run a standard background check sweetie, and you’ll need to sign a contract with Disney, but we can start you in a basic crash course immediately and have you out in the park in no time.”

“I already had that done, I’m actually the Janitor that was hired a couple days ago.” Josh answered sheepishly in his normal voice. “Peterson, ma’am.”

“Peterson... Peterson...” Gennine said to herself. She picked up her iPad and, with a couple of swipes, had access to employee records and new hires. She looked surprised for a moment
“Olivia, mind stepping out for a moment while I talk to Miss Peterson?”

“Oh of course, I need to get back to Pixie Hollow before Peri gets overwhelmed,” Olivia giggled. “Should I send Christina by if I see her again?”

“Only if she can be spared.” Gennine laughed. “She and Scott are always so busy with the kids.”

“Yeah,” Olivia giggled again as she stepped out, pulling the door closed behind her.

“I’m not going to tell any of them your name is Josh, “ Gennine stated. “It’s not my job to tell them. My job is to hire actors and actresses to play the parts the park needs.”

“I am so sorry,” Josh sighed as he sat down on the sofa, pushing his knees together. The Goofy costume shifted slightly, causing him to jump.

“Don’t be. You are perfect,” Gennine stated, sitting on the corner of her desk with her arms folded slightly, and a rather amused look on her face. “I meant what I said, and I want you to start today, as Silvermist, permanently and for as long as you can work here.”

“I’ll turn in my pass right awa--” he stopped, and then slowly looked up at her. “You... You what?” he stammered.

“You’re perfect,” she repeated. “I mean you sound just like Lucy Liu. You even pull off Silvermist’s looks. Stand up and turn around for me, like do a slow spin.” she asked.

“Um, sure,” Josh said as he stood and spun around slowly, his big, poofy mop of hair following not far behind and getting itself tangled just a bit on the fake wings.

“We need to do something with your hair, but other than that, you’re marvelous, “ She turned back and picked up her cell phone. “Can you get Richards down here to casting?”

“Right away Mrs. McDonnell,” the woman on the other end, presumably a secretary or personal assistant, replied over the phone’s speaker.

“That was the main office if you must know.” Gennine winked. “How much did they start you as an entry level janitor?”

Josh laughed a bit at that. “Um, day shift $8.50 an hour, plus time and a half for any overtime.”

“That won't do for my Pixies.” She grinned as she turned her iPad around for Josh to read his new contract.

“You... you want to pay me how much?” he squeaked out, staring at the revised contract. It wasn’t as if he needed the money, exactly. His parents were loaded, but he had effectively been trying to distance himself, make it on his own. He had even started hunting an apartment, with plans to attend art school on scholarships and grants he had earned in High School.

“Says right there, starting $12.50, with a $25.00 cap, though that’s before adjusting for inflation.” Gennine laughed. “Now sweetie, we can’t have you changing with the boys either, so when you get ready for the day, you need to be in the Pixie booth, is that a problem?”

“No problem, but I... You’re serious?” he repeated. “I mean... about hiring me?” he asked again. None of this seemed real. Part of him even wondered if that had been the “real” Alice and Hatter, and he’d been dragged off down their rabbit hole into Wonderland. At that there was a knock on the door.

“Come,” Gennine called.

A man in his late 20’s early 30s walked in wearing a lavender dress shirt with a dark purple scarf, despite the Florida summer being at its apex, “What can I do for you today Madam?” he sounded like a stereotypical gay British hair stylists to Josh’s ear. Josh was far from homophobic. He simply had met a few, as a dual citizen of the US and UK with wealthy parents.

“Ah, Bobby,” Gennine said brightly as they exchanged a friendly hug. “I’d like you to meet Silvermist. Do you think you can do something with her hair? I’d hate to make her wear a wig when she’s already got such naturally long locks.”

Bobby smiled appraisingly as he walked around Josh, “Honey, I can do anything with magical hair like that,” he said, taking a few ends and pulling on them gently. It wasn’t that Josh didn’t care for his hair, but his mixed heritage and any sort of humidity sent it into an untameable nightmare.

“Excellent. If you don’t mind, I’d like Rachel to do her makeup and nails while you work so we can get her out to Pixie Hollow as soon as possible. I’m also going to have an acting coach meet with her to cover the do’s and don’ts.”

Bobby grinned as he ran his fingers through Josh’s long black hair, “It won't even take long, you have gorgeous hair sweetie.” even Bobby thought Josh was a girl at this point. “A little wild true, but I have a shampoo solution that you’d swear came from Pixie Hollow.”

“We might have to have that costume let out just a tiny bit in the top,” she said appraisingly as she studied Josh another moment, but then nodded. “Alright, just go with Bobby, and Rachel will meet you in the salon.”

~oOo~

It seemed like forever, but it didn’t take either of them long to get Josh cleaned up and back out to the park. The acting coach had trouble believing he hadn’t had any training though - just lots of practice. When he returned to Pixie Hollow, things were rather quiet. The last group of guests had just left, giving the girls a momentary break.

Tinkerbell’s eyes lit up as Silvermist approached. “Oh you look so radiant Silvermist!”

“Those nails are just so you!” Periwinkle chimed in as she came over a moment later. They were a mix of silver and blue, very glittery. “Flitterific,” she giggled.

“Hey Peri, I think we should send our new sister out into the park for meet and greet.” Tinkerbell announced. “Since it’s nice and quiet here.”

“Oh definitely! Everyone needs to know we have more pixies from Neverland coming!” Periwinkle gushed excitedly, before Josh could get a word in edgewise.

Tinkerbell leaned over and whispered in Josh’s ear, “Just relax, stay in character and have fun.”

“I can’t believe this is really happening,” Josh whispered back as they both gave him a friendly hug. “This is a dream.”

“Well off with you, time to go meet your fans!” Tinkerbell giggled, “We’ll be here at our houses when you’re done,” she called over the cheers of excited children making their way into the Hollow.

“Oh ho!” a boy with short red hair called out, “You must be one of the Pixies from neverland.” He was dressed as Peter Pan, and had the unmistakable adventurous Pan attitude. “Um don’t tell me, Silverbell right?” he asked, causing a couple of teenaged girls he had been talking to, both dressed in black, green, and white cheer uniforms, to giggle loudly.

“Silvermist.” Josh corrected with a soft laugh.

“Well I was close anyway!” Peter laughed and put his hands on his hips in that defiant Pan style.

“I’m the Pixie that makes the morning dew. You have to get my name right Peter.” Silvermist giggled.

Peter leaned over to the girls and stage whispered, “She also makes a mean morning don’t, if you ask me.”

One of the girls laughed as she asked, “Can I get a picture with you both?”

“Aww, of course you can!” Peter answered as Silvermist, grinning, approached. Peter put one arm around the girl, and the other hand on Silvermist’s shoulder pretending to lean against her as the other girl raised her camera. “Say fleas!” Peter announced.

“Morning Dew!” Silvermist cheered.

“Did someone say Morning Fleas?” That Hatter said as he and Alice were walking by. “Oh say, I remember you! Uhm,” he said, snapping his fingers repeatedly. “Silverdust!”

Alice giggled, “No silly, that’s our new friend Silvermist.”

“Well that’s what I said!” Hatter laughed. “Ooh, and she’s put her face on too.”

Peter Pan moved over to Alice, “Seems all my friends from Neverland are showing up.”

“We saw Captain Hook prowling around here a few minutes ago,” one of the cheerleaders laughed.

“What?! Where? I’ll feed him to the Croc!” Peter spoke up and pulled his toy dagger out. “Come out Captain Codfish!” he announced.

The other cheerleader giggled. “Down that way,” she said, pointing. Peter turned and bowed deeply to the girls.

“Then if you’ll excuse me ladies, I have a hook to bait!” he laughed cheerily and sprang off in the direction the actor playing Captain Hook had last been seen.

“Oh I know!” The Hatter announced, “Lets play musical chairs!”

Alice giggled, “We don’t have any chairs here.”

“Well that’s okay, we don’t have any music either,” Hatter replied without missing a beat.

“Excuse me.” A woman smiled at the group, “My daughter is a major fan yours from the movies.” she said directly to Silvermist.

“Oh, sure, everyone loves the pixies,” Hatter teased, causing Silvermist to giggle.

“Well today’s her birthday, and she wanted to know if you would take a picture with her.” The woman asked, there was a young 5 year old girl hiding behind her mom.

“Oh, well I’d love to, Dew Drop,” Silvermist said as she knelt down to the girl’s level and smiled warmly at her. The little girl ran out from behind her mom and hugged Silvermist tightly. Silvermist giggled and hugged her back.

The mother of the girl snapped a couple pictures, “Thank you so much I think you just made her entire day.”

“Oh it’s no problem at all,” Silvermist answered brightly. “You have a wonderful day, and don’t forget to stop by Pixie Hollow and say hi to Tink and Peri,” she said warmly.

“Oh I almost forgot.” The Hatter called out and pulled something out of his coat pocket that Silvermist couldn’t quite see in his big glove. “Happy birthday.” he said proudly, and handed it to the little girl.

“I do hope it’s not going to explode,” Alice teased the Hatter causing the girl to laugh out loud.

“What sort of Hatter do you take me for?” The Hatter asked Alice. “That would be just mean.”

“Well you did just accuse Tinkerbell of stealing your tea pot this morning,” Alice replied.

“Well she did, but it was her unbirthday so I forgive her.” The Hatter composed himself as the girl opened the cute ‘Happy Birthday!’ tea party themed card, and a ride ticket came tumbling out. She giggled excitedly, scooping up the ticket, and then hugged both Hatter and Alice.

“Thank you!” she said happily, and then latched onto her mother’s hand again.

Silvermist leaned closer, trying to peek at the Hatter’s pocket.

“Hey no stealing my tea pot! You sneaky pixie you!” The Hatter playfully swatted at Silvermist.

“What?” Silvermist giggled. “I was just peeking!” she said innocently. It was all Alice could do not to giggle.

“Silly Pixies are always trying to steal my tea pot.” He said to Alice. “Now that there’s a Water Pixie around I really need to watch it closer.”

“I suppose I could borrow your hat instead. Back in Pixie Hollow it would make a lovely fishing boat,” she teased. Hatter gasped, grabbing the brim of his hat and pulling it down firmly on his head.

“Well I never!” he exclaimed, “Lets be off away from this thieving pixie!”

“Well in her defense, she did say ‘borrow’,” Alice giggled out as they started off again.

~oOo~

Josh found himself really enjoying his new job. For once people were laughing with him and not at him, and his, let’s face it, girly physique and sweet voice were major assets.

Silvermist had just come off Splash Mountain with the rest of the cheer squad, of whom Peter had introduced two members before, when Aladdin and Jasmine stopped him. “Hey it’s one of those Pixie hollow Pixies.” Aladdin called out. There in a small group of girls was none other than his sister. He had forgotten that he had given her a pass just yesterday.

“I forget,” Aladdin said, “Is it pixies that will grant you a wish if you catch them?”

“Or she might just dump a barrel of water on your head,” Jasmine giggled softly as they approached with the group of girls they had been walking with.

“Wow!” Annabell gasped. “You look just like Silvermist!”

Silvermist giggled, “That’s because I am Silvermist, Dew Drop.”

“Ohmygosh,” Annabell giggled. “Can I have your autograph?” she asked, to a following of ‘Ooh’ and ‘me too!’ from the other girls.

“Sure.” Silvermist answered brightly. There was no way he was going to tell his sister, and really, there was no way he could. It stated in his contract that he couldn’t talk about his job at the park while working for the park. He signed all three of the girls’ autograph books and then posed for pictures with them, with Jasmine holding their camera.

“What’s it like to work with Tinkerbell?” Annabell - Annie to her friends - asked.

“It’s a lot of fun, as long as you stay on her good side, and don’t mess with her mallets. You know how red-faced she gets when she can’t find her tools,” Silvermist giggled softly.

Jasmine giggled at that, “We were over there earlier, and she and Periwinkle were just having so much fun playing hide and seek.”

“Oh that does sound like fun!” Silvermist said cheerfully. “I’ll bet Tink won. She’s so great at finding lost things.”

Aladdin nodded, “I know, I had her help me find my fez the other day. I thought I had lost it in the palace.”

As if on cue, Peter Pan came racing by, stopping only for a moment to snatch Aladdin’s fez right off his head. “Catch me if you can!” he called over his shoulder as he ran off again.

Silvermist giggled, “Oh that Peter!”

“Gaaah, I just had that thing reupholstered!” Aladdin joked. “Get back here!”

Silvermist giggled again, “He and those lost boys are always causing so much trouble in Neverland,” she said as, barely a half minute later, the Hatter and Alice came strolling by. The Hatter had Aladdin’s fez perched neatly on top of his own top hat, and Peter was nonchalantly walking a few feet behind, looking completely innocent.

“No, I can’t imagine what Peter could have wanted you to look in those bushes for, honestly,” Alice said as they got within earshot.

“That silly boy is always doing something silly.” The Hatter laughed.

“Hey!” Aladdin called. “That’s my hat!”

The Hatter stopped abruptly and gave Aladdin a funny stare. “No it’s not, it’s my hat.” he protested.

“No, not your hat, the hat on top of your hat,” Aladdin argued, mock-frustrated.

“I swear Alice.. the people of Wonderland aren’t this crazy, “ The Hatter sighed. “Look street rat, I don’t have a hat on top of my hat.” he insisted. “That would just be silly!”

Peter crept up behind the Hatter at that and, jumping up, used the tip of his toy dagger to knock the fez off the Hatter’s top hat and right into his hands, causing the girls to laugh.

Annie looked over at her friends, “This is like going to your own private Disney movie.”

“Well, would you look at that. Why was my hat wearing a hat?” he asked, turning around, but Peter bolted around to stay behind him, leaving the Hatter spinning in circles.

Alice shrugged, “Maybe the Pixie over there put it on your hat?”

Silvermist giggled as she shook her head. “Oh my no, I’m innocent. I even have witnesses, see?” she said, pointing to the girls.

Annie spoke up, “That’s right she was with us, so there’s no way she could have done it.”

“But how can I trust the word of someone she just said was witless?” Hatter protested, folding his arms, and still holding Aladdin’s fez.

Alice giggled, “I think she said witNESS.”

“Witness? Witness what? I didn’t witness anything, and you can’t prove otherwise!” Hatter answered.

“Oh but you did, you Witnessed a good game of musical chairs with the queen a moment ago.” Alice replied sweetly.

“Oh, I did at that. Who knew an evil queen could be so light on her feet?” he laughed, paused, and looked down. “Oh! Al, I found your fez!” he announced as if nothing had happened, placing it on Aladdin’s head. He stage whispered, “I think that pixie stole it,” as he pointed at Silvermist.

Peter laughed and gently snatched a pouch on Silvermist’s belt then ran around to the girls, sprinkling some of the fairy dust on them, leaving their hair lightly glittered. “Now there we go, some fairy dust and all you need to do is think a happy thought.”

“My awesome sister,” Annie seemed to correct herself, almost saying something else, “For getting us free passes,” she giggled softly. Silvermist couldn’t help the small laugh that escaped. It wasn’t the first time she’d heard that, but it was the first that she didn’t feel compelled to act embarrassed by it.

A white haired girl who looked just like Elsa walked up to the crowd, “You must be Silvermist?”

“Oh!” Silvermist giggled as she turned and curtseyed. “Your Majesty.”

“Oh none of that.” Elsa giggled, “A Miss Tinkerbell asked if I ran into you to send you back to the Hollow. Something about water problems.”

“Oh dear. Peri’s ice machine must be running low. I’d better get over there and get them some more water to freeze before she melts in this heat!” Silvermist said, thinking on her feet.

“I could go as well and just make it snow for her.” Elsa giggled.

“I’d sure welcome the company,” Silvermist giggled as well, as they started off together. “I just loved that ice castle you made.”

~oOo~

Back in Pixie Hollow Tinkerbell took Silvermist into a small shack off to the side. It was pretty nice inside, with AC, there was even a mini fridge with water in it. “We figured you could use a chance to get off your feet and relax. You’ve been going a long time for your first day.”

Silvermist laughed a little as she sat down. “I honestly hadn’t even noticed what time it was. Feels like just a few minutes ago that I left Bobby’s salon.”

“You were out there for about four hours.” Tinkerbell answered. “Pretty good for a first day really, Peri only made it a half hour before she needed a break.”

“Hey Tink,” Silvermist asked, not thinking to use Olivia’s real name, “Do you have family that come to the park?”

“Yeah, my little brother, and occasionally my older sister stops by.” Tinkerbell nodded.

“Is it hard to stay in character?” she asked. “I bumped into my sister, and she didn’t recognize me, but it was a little weird.”

“Not really. I love playing Tinkerbell so much that It doesn’t even phase me when he and his friends come in.”

“I’ve been doing the Silvermist voice for her since the very first movie,” Silvermist laughed. “I guess that’s why I’m so practiced.” She paused, adding in Rosetta’s voice, “I can do Rosetta too, but not as well.”

“Your a natural.” Tinkerbell laughed. “You should think about a career in voice acting.”

“I’m actually a visual artist.” Silvermist answered. “I’m trying to do the starving artist thing, but it’s hard when you still live with your parents,” she teased.

Tinkerbell laughed as she handed Silvermist a bottle of water, “After work Peri and I are going to a little burger joint for dinner. Would you like to join us?”

Silvermist answered without even a second thought as to why it might not be a good idea. “I’d love to, but I don’t have a thing to wear.”

“Oh.” Tinkerbell shrugged, “Well maybe next time?”

“Definitely. I’ll try and find something nice!” Silvermist answered brightly. “I never was all that social in high school, and I promised myself I’d change that in college. Now it’s looking like I might actually do it, and I haven’t even started classes yet.”

“You’re well on your way,” Tink answered as she turned up her bottle of water. “You’re friendly, outgoing, you have the Silvermist character down perfectly, and from what I and the others have seen you’re amazing with kids.”

Silvermist looked at Tinkerbell, “Did the Hatter tell on me?”

“Alice, actually,” Tink laughed. “We bumped into each other on a bathroom break earlier. She was just bubbling on and on about how well our new Pixie was doing.”

At that, Gennine walked into the break room from the front. “Am I interrupting anything?”

“Not at all Fairy Mary,” Tink said jokingly. “I was just telling Silvermist how Alice was bubbling on about her.”

“Periwinkle told me you were both in here. After we give her a quick break, I was wondering if you could take our new Pixie here on the tour trolley over to Animal kingdom for a bit?”

“Oh, that sounds fun!” Tink answered, adding, “As a pixie, or a tourist?”

“As both.” Gennine answered.

“So... touristy pixie,” Silvermist giggled. “Gotcha.”

“Oh!” Tink chimed in. “Since you’re here, I have a small request on Silvermist’s behalf.”

“What would that be?” Gennine asked.

“Peri, Alice and I are going out to dinner tonight after work, and we want to drag Sil along too. Do you think she could borrow something from the wardrobe department?”

“Sure, and how about I give her a small advance so she can pick up some more clothes as well.” Gennine said, winking at Silvermist. “Don’t forget Miss Peterson to read your contract fully, during your breaks. I need it signed by the end of the day.”

“Oh!” Silvermist answered. “I should do that right now so I don’t forget again.”

“RIght over there,” Tink answered before Silvermist could even ask. “Bobby dropped them off after you forgot them in the salon this morning,” she added with a soft giggle as she stood. “And I’d better get back out there before Peri melts.”

“Thanks Dew Drop,” Silvermist called after her, causing Tinkerbell to giggle, as she picked up her contract.

“I haven’t broken the news yet,” she said after Tink left. “I’ve been on my feet all morning doing meet and greet.”

“Ah, you might be sent out again tomorrow for Meet and greet. You’re quite popular you know?”

“I’m a little surprised,” Silvermist said, glancing up. “I mean I’d always heard actors go through a lot of training on how to deal with park guests, but you guys kind of just turned me loose.”

“It’s all about thinking on your feet.” Gennine answered. “Improv. We offer specialized classes for those interested, and the crash course, but since you had a spotless background check, and really nailed the character, I felt comfortable letting you loose as you put it.”

“Um...” Silvermist said, looking up from her contract again. “It says here that I have to present as female even off work?”

“Not ‘have to’ per se, just highly, highly encouraged. It’s to help you relax and transition between your character here more easily. If you need to present as a boy for any reason that’s fine, nobody’s policing you.”

“Oh. Actually I really like the idea...” Josh said, giving her a wry smile. “It’s just I live with my parents still, and... Well, I’m not sure how I’m going to break that one to them. It’s not like they’re anti-gay or anything,” he quickly added. “They’re pretty cool.”

“Oh that’s fine, you can tell them it’s for an acting job?” Gennine suggested, “It’s not really lying to them is it? You just can’t really tell them what kind of acting job it is. We here at Disney are kind of secretive like that.”

Josh laughed a little. “I’m glad we’re on the same page there,” he said, smiling as he flipped the page to the last part of his contract. “I don’t have a problem with it, like I said. I’m really having fun playing Silvermist, interacting with the kids and the other characters.”

“That’s really good to hear.” Gennine answered,. “It’s about having fun, and making people smile. If you’re done, why don’t you head out and give Peri a break so you and Tink can run off to the other side of the park?”

Josh nodded, and, after signing the contract, stood to hand it back to her. “I’ll have a new name for you to add to my roster listing by tomorrow - probably tonight, if I’m going out to dinner with the girls,” he added with a wry chuckle. “Thanks Mrs. McDonnell.”

Gennine laughed, “Call me Gennine, and you should talk to someone if this is going to be the route you want to take sweetie.” She took the contract and headed back to the main building. Josh stood, straightened the hem of Silvermist’s skirt, tousled his hair slightly, and stepped out into the sunshine.

up
509 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Absolutely loved this story.

Absolutely loved this story. I do hope there will be more chapters to it so we can see how Silvermist progresses in her new life. Also glad she has three new girlfriends who know her 'secret'. Alice, Olivia and Peri; and of course Ginnine McDonnell.
Having recently been to Disney World and watching my 7 year old grandson reacting to all the characters he met. He even loved meeting the various Princesses. He did not like meeting the Wicked Step Mother of Cinderella's however, and refused to look at her or talk to her. When we asked why, he responded she is evil. The woman playing the character, replied, "No, I am just misunderstood". His Mom got her to sign his autograph book, and when we looked at it later, she had written her character name and what she had told him. Very funny indeed.

Actually....

Unless Bobby or Olivia checked out the contract (which is possible), at the moment, I think the only two who really know for certain would be his boss Ginnine and his sister. While he may think he fooled her, Annie's statement of how her "Awesome Sister" had gotten her passes says that she recognized him and will probably support him at home.

Almost skipped this one, glad I didn't and am looking forward to the next chapter.

read by sister

I am tempted to say that Annie knew it was her Sister/Brother the moment she saw them.

Me too

WillowD's picture

Annie has almost certainly heard her brother practicing that part. And he's not wearing a wig or heavy makeup. So, outside of the clothes he's wearing, he looks like his normal self to Annie.

Ditto

What she said, I'd like to read more!

I don't like myself, so why should you?

Awesome little yarn!

Aloha,
Just had to say how adorable.
Sincerely Deanna.

Aloha, Deanna August

sweet! Love this!

wonderful bit of magic, this!

DogSig.png

Just lovely.

The magic of Neverland. Now just watch out for those lost boys!

Fun!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

And it's got Pixies too!

>i< ..:::

Pixies!!!

Patrick Malloy's picture

My six year old granddaughter absolutely adores all of the Pixies of Pixie Hollow... and, to be honest, I do too. Please keep the story going, this is a real nice start.

Patrick Malloy

First book is finished :-)

Zoe Taylor's picture

Just wanted to pop in and say the first "book" is finished and in the editing process, but we wanted to get the first chapter out ASAP since it's been like, ages since we got anything to a state where we're comfortable releasing it.

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Heee!

Page of Wands's picture

I grew up in Orlando, actually, so reading through this brought back memories. Several people from my high school worked for the Mouse, including as costumed characters. One of my friends did Tigger, among others, and shouting "Bounce, Tigger!" at him was a fast way to earn a punch in the arm.

A girl in one of my math classes did Snow White, I think, and I remember her saying once that the audition for the "face" roles was one of the most excruciatingly exact auditions she'd ever done. "Oh, you're the right height and look, but you have X tiny flaw (a mole, a bit too tall, not quite the right body shape, etc.), so we're not going to accept you. Have a nice day. NEXT!" And then they're layered under so much makeup that they're all but unrecognizable afterwards.

Of course, this was a good 15 years or so ago at this point, though, and I don't think I've been out to the Mouse House myself in probably a decade or so, so they might have relaxed things a bit since then.

They haven't. Relaxed the

They haven't. Relaxed the Face auditions I mean. I have several friends who are 'friends of x' like Woody and Goofy and Belle and so on. Which is how Disney tends to have the actual cast members refer to it. Several of the people who are characters also tend to be in their College Program. And one of my friends said she spent 6 hours in a face audition to be told after one quick look that she had a tiny difference with the character and so "bye!"

That being said, I am loving this story and looking forward to more. I'm a major Disney Freak...and have been to WDW quite a few times, work with a travel agency that specializes in Disney and can't get enough of the Mouse.

Samirah M. Johnstone

very fun start to the story

very fun start to the story hope it continues, where we'll get to see who else get picked to be a pixie, I think Josh's sister probably recognized him after all they are pretty close and he has done the voices for her in the past

There's a video on youtube,

There's a video on youtube, of some kids telling Peter Pan on the story of Hary Potter, and he gets bored through it, I think that's what Becky's talking about :)


Click Me!

=^.^=

Become a Patron!

Have a mew of a day!

Comment

A&Z knew I was joking... And I havent a clue how this relates to season of change???

I also happen to con my self in to the proofreader for rest of the chapters. I will say I happen to love this story but they need to write either more chapters or more books :P

Brilliant

Dahlia's picture

Love this new start and hope it continues.

Really cute story

Being Asian I have a leg up on looking like Silvermist though I am a bit too tall though. Hey Zoe, I've sent you my picture before, could I at least do Silvermist at a costume party?

BTW I see your trip to Disney inspired you ^_^.

Yay! An awesome new book.

WillowD's picture

Yay. I've found another awesome looking new book to read. And best of all... It has a sequel. Lots and lots of more stories to read by the author who created Robinverse.

Re-reading this

WillowD's picture

I've just started re-reading this universe for the third time. I do love these stories.

Parents

I hope they don’t flip out on her, I bet her sister already knows. I wonder if she is gonna come clean to everyone or they already know.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna