Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2557

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2557
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Wednesday, another meeting with the finance people, they want to cut my budget, I threaten to resign and take the dormouse project and mammal survey with me. They think about calling my bluff until one of them remembers I’m married to one of the richest and most powerful families in the country. To up the ante, I told them the bank would withdraw the study centre and various other loans it has with the university.

“But that’s blackmail?”

“No it isn’t, I might have accepted that I was warming up my financial muscle and essentially, I could destroy much of this university in two phone calls. Other investors would think that there was something going on and withdraw as well. Within forty eight hours, you’d all be on the dole and the bank’s bailiffs would be taking possession of most of the campus. You’d be bankrupt within a week.”

“You’re trying to intimidate us,” squeaked the second finance officer.

“No, I’m simply reporting consequences if I left, naturally if I did go I might not prevent the bank seeking to renegotiate or rescind loans.”

“You were threatening us.”

“If I’d been threatening you, you’d have known it, don’t you worry. I was simply pointing out consequences.”

“I doubt the university council would see it that way.”

“Would you like me to ask them at the next meeting I attend?”

He gave me a look that would melt steel but not women, I was therefore unfazed by it.

“Why shouldn’t your department face cuts?”

“Because it brings in more revenue than any other in this faculty. If I leave, so will many of your students.”

“That’s preposterous, you think you can just ride roughshod over anyone’s life.”

“If that were true, I’d only have to make one phone call to deliver your name and address to the bank, like so.” I pressed speed dial on my Black Berry and they heard it dialling. “Then, by the time I’d finished, your house would be history as the bank would have withdrawn your mortgage and blacklisted you.”

They heard a voice answer the other end and capitulated. I cancelled the call to our doctor. They’d been double bluffed.

“My courses have twice as many students as most of the others, they therefore pay for themselves. I don’t expect to have to defend them against cuts again. Good day gentlemen.” They left immediately.

I knew that wouldn’t be the end of it and I also knew that Daddy would be less than pleased with me flexing my financial muscle, but I was sick of desk jockeys telling me what to do with regard to running a department. Before me I had a spreadsheet with all our outgoings on one side and our income on the other. We were in credit, my department paid for itself and also money to the university. Admittedly, that wouldn’t be the case without some generous grants from the bank and several other bequests, plus their share of the money made from my two films. The harvest mouse had been shown in Holland and Spain, Australia and a Canadian broadcaster was thinking about it having shown our dormouse film last year.

The BBC had bought the harvest mouse as well but weren’t showing it until Easter when I’ll get complaints from farmers about the public trampling corn fields looking for harvest mice. I hope they don’t find too many ticks, the public that is, especially with the increasing spread of Lyme disease or Lyme borreliosis. I was still pondering which would be worse, daddy’s wrath or Lyme disease when Delia buzzed me.

“There’s someone from local radio wants to you about grey squirrels.”

“Okay, put him through,” I said while my head was saying, I do dormice not squiggles. “Hello, Cathy Watts,” I replied to his cursory greeting.

“Is that doctor or professor Watts?”

“I’m a professor but also have a doctoral degree, will that do?”

“Course, look we’re doing a thing on grey squirrels and Defra’s intention to cull them.”

“Right, is that it?”

“Well I have some questions about squirrels and hoped you might answer them.”

“Is this being recorded?”

“No, I was hoping we could do it live.”

“What, now?”

“In about five minutes.”

“Don’t get too specific in detail like asking about weight and size. Everyone will have seen a grey, it’s reds they may or may not be familiar with.”

“No, that’s fine. You’re an expert on rodents?”

“Dormice yes, other species less so.”

“You made that film on the dormouse, didn’t you?”

“Yes, there’s one on the harvest mouse on the BBC over Easter.”

“Great. You wearing those shorts again?”

Why do they always ask about the shorts? “I can’t remember, long time since I saw it.” I am actually but he doesn’t need to know that.

“We’re going live...now. The government is intending to cull grey squirrels to attempt to reduce their numbers to help red squirrels compete and reduce damage to woodlands. I’m talking to Professor Cathy Watts from Portsmouth University who’s an expert on rodents and who made that delightful film about dormice last year. She’s done one on harvest mice which will be out on the BBC at Easter.

“Professor Watts, are you in favour of the cull?”

Try me with a hard one why don’t you? “Insofar as the grey squirrel is an alien, carries squirrel pox and does damage, they should perhaps have thought of doing it a hundred years ago.”

“So it’s not like the badger cull, which I believe you were against?”

“I was because none of the scientific data backed it up, in fact it looked as if most scientists were against the badger cull because it was likely to spread not reduce the spread of bovine TB. Squirrels are a different proposition entirely, and being smaller are more easily killed with shotguns, so you don’t need marksmen—though the badger cull made me wonder what the government’s definition of marksmen actually was.”

“They carry a disease, grey squirrels, that is?”

“Squirrel pox, which is endemic to them but which they seem to have a large degree of immunity. Alas red squirrels are susceptible and if they catch it, it’s almost always fatal. It causes infected ulceration which must be very painful for the poor reds.”

“Sounds horrible. You’ve been responsible for mapping the distribution of red squirrels, where’s the best place to see them?”

“Either up in the far north of England or over the border in Scotland, or on some islands like Brownsea, to which the greys haven’t spread.”

“And grey squirrels are bigger than red ones?”

“Yes, about half as big again, and they spend much more time on the ground than red squirrels.”

“Thank you, Professor Watts, from Portsmouth University. Don’t forget to watch her latest nature film on harvest mice over Easter. Feel free to email or text me about how you feel about this grey squirrel cull, are you for or agin it?

“Now, the next topic. We’ve had a UKIP and a Green party representative say they don’t agree with people having sex changes on the NHS and in a moment we’re going to speak with Miss Paris Lees, who’s an official spokeswoman for the transgender lobby...”

I was so glad they had Paris dealing with it rather than me. My heart was still pounding—what a coincidence of topics. Phew, that was close—too close.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
255 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Invasive species should

Invasive species should always be culled if possible. They force out or kill the native species and then having no natural enemies "explode" across the habitat they are now in. This also holds true for plants as well. The Southeastern States of the US, have an invasive plant called Kudoz, a large vine type plant; that was brought in as an ornamental, and was used outside. It has 'gotten away' and where it is now, plants, trees and other flora have been killed. The plant covers trees and other plant species as if in a blanket. This effectively removes them from sunlight and by that kills the original native plants off. It does not have any natural enemy here in the US, and it actually seems to not die when attacked by man, but come back when least expected.

Starlings

littlerocksilver's picture

A lady from Europe missed her starlings, so she imported 48 (I believe) and released them in central park. Now we have hundreds of millions of them. They are displacing blue birds and redwing blackbirds and other species. Someone sent rabbits to Australia, fire ants came to North America, Mongoose to Hawaii. It goes on and on. The intentions were not evil; however, ignorance has created havoc. What a mess.

Portia

Kudzu

That invasive vine is kudzu, not kudoz. It was brought in for erosion control. Rumor has it that you can see it growing and if you stand still too long, it will grow over you.

Kudos are those accolades we're supposed to leave to the good authors!

That would be kudzu......

D. Eden's picture

Not kudoz, and it was originally imported to the US by the railroad companies and planted along rail lines to help stabilize the soil. Unfortunately, no one understood the problems with invasive species at that time.

That doesn't even begin to address the issues with Eurasion Milfoil, or the Snail Darter, or certain species of mollusks which have ended up in North America due to being carried inadvertently in the ballast water of shipping. Or lest we forget, the Walking Catfish, the Mediterranean Fruit Fly, or any number of the thousands of other damaging invasive species which have been inadvertently transported around the world.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Its always

good to see any financial officer bought to heel when they overstep the mark, Obviously it helps when you can play all the killer cards , But they still needed to played in the right way, Mind you cuts do seem to be a way of life nowdays here in the UK, Every time i watch the news it seems to be more of the same, What puzzles me is what they will do when there is nothing more left to cut , You can be pretty sure one thing our "esteemed" members of parliament will not do is take a cut in their nice index linked salaries and pensions.... It does seem to be one law for them and one for the rest of us ... Lead by example i very much doubt it !

Loved the twist in the last couple of paragraphs, Its a good job they did not know a little more about their dormouse/rodent expert ...

Kirri

Wasn't Necessary

The threats Cathy made were totally unnecessary. She had the figures to mollify the penny-pinchers right in front of her. Any department at a university that's turning a profit is sacrosanct and untouchable. Of course, if they weren't idiots in need of a sharp bonk on the noggin, they'd have looked up the figures themselves before showing up.

Pretty much...

Unless some other department has the political wheels to try and siphon off some of that money... That, or someone has an agenda to do... But, generally departments that bring in more money than they cost to run don't get their budgets cut... Only exception I've seen were when some bean counter decided on an "across the board" cut to all departments because the endowment fund took a hit... (Yes, it happened. And, then a few departments with political "in" got their cut reduced.)

Cathy getting personal there and discussing "consequences"... She deserves to get smacked down for that. It may all (or most) have been true, but the way she did it was totally unprofessional. :-( *sighs* It's something I'd have expected from "The Godfather"...

Thanks,
Annette

Invasive species.

Are white men an invasive species in the Americas and Australasia? If so should they be culled? They evolved in Europe and Asia after coming 'Out of Africa'. (Giggle!)

Still loving it.

Bevs.

bev_1.jpg

Interesting article

Angharad's picture

It would be good to see further studies on this, however, it also has to be borne in mind that pine martens still eat red squirrels too, and such are the vagaries of conservation, it's not that long ago red squirrels were seen as vermin, as are pine martens anywhere near game bird shoots.

Angharad

Irony Of Ironies

jengrl's picture

It was certainly ironic that they were talking to a transgendered woman two times in consecutive segments, but only knew the second one. Overpopulation of deer are also a big problem here in so many parts of the U.S. Urban sprawl as well as lack of enough natural predators ,have led to disease like Chronic Waste that have infected populations as well as spreading Lyme Disease in humans.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg