Mike and Ashley, Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version
Mike and Ashley, Chapter 3 of 9

By Portia Bennett

Introduction: Ashley and her aunt run into some people we’ve met before. They find the perfect place to live.

The story is not mine. It is based on a very old tale that might have been part of English/Irish lore, it might be French or German. It might even be Persian in origin. I’ll leave it to you to try to figure out what tale it is. If you think you know, PM me. Don’t spoil it for others.

Although there are characters from other stories who make brief appearances, this is a stand-alone story.


 

This work is copyrighted by the author and any publication or distribution without the written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to persons living or dead is coincidental.


 

Mike and Ashley

 

Chapter 3

‘It must be nice’, Ashley thought, ‘to have an unlimited expense account.’

That wasn’t quite true, but they did have a lot of leeway. The estate agent, that’s what Caitriona called them, was helpful, but he seemed to think that they were looking for a $5,000 a month apartment. That was a hell of a lot of money for a thousand square foot apartment. It became very obvious that they were not going to find what they wanted in Manhattan for a price they could afford.

The real estate agent, that’s what Ashley called him, suggested they look in Brooklyn. He had a huge list of flats they could look at. Ashley nixed that immediately. Although her mother could venture into the other Burroughs, she knew that her mother never ventured far from her few square blocks. Everything she desired was right there. Still, Ashley knew she had to keep as much separation from her mother as possible.

“Brooklyn is out of the question for personal reasons,” Ashley said. “Let’s try Queens. I’m familiar with Queens.”

“If that’s what you ladies would like. I have an appointment this afternoon. I could take you to Queens to look around on your own, or I could take you back to your hotel. I’ll go through the MLS listings and see if we can find something that fits your needs. I am free tomorrow morning, and I know I’ll have something you will like.”

“Why don’t you drop us off in a nice neighborhood so that we can get a feel of the area? We’ll get some lunch and then take a cab back to our hotel. We’ll contact you in the morning,” Caitriona said.

“What a jerk,” Ashley said. “He was obviously pimping some properties without really having any concerns for our needs.”

“I agree,” Caitriona said. “Do you realize that he never clocked you? You are so damn pretty. He couldn’t keep his eyes off your bust line.”

“I know. He certainly would have been disappointed though.”

“You are doing just fine. How’s the itching?”

“They itch like crazy. I love it. They’re getting hot behind the nipples. It’s wonderful; finally the right puberty.”

“You are right on schedule, if not a little ahead,” Caitriona said while looking around.

“You know, this neighborhood looks very nice,” Ashley said while taking in everything like Caitriona was. "There are several nice shops, and this bistro looks lovely. Let’s get some lunch before we look around.

A pleasant greeter seated them and asked them what they would like to drink.

“I would like a glass of the Pinot Grigio,” Caitriona said. “Ashley?”

“I think I’d like the same.

“I love these old buildings. The ambience is wonderful. The problem is whether or not we can find one that will fit our budget. I mean this neighborhood is perfect. The subway station is just down the street. There’s a deli down the street, two more restaurants, pharmacy, just about everything one would need. My beautician is only ten blocks away. Which reminds me; I need to get a touch up. You’ll definitely have to meet Amber. She has been wonderful. I never expected to get so much support. I was lucky to find her.

“Trina (Ashley had started calling her that early on), do you see that lady over there sitting with that stunning blonde,” Ashley whispered. Caitriona looked towards the table across the small room.

“Yes.”

“I think I recognize her. In fact I’m certain it’s her.”

“Who, the older woman or the blonde?”

“The older woman, I’m certain that’s Fanny Essegian, the composer. I have all her albums. Remember that horrid movie, ‘Beyond the Rings of Saturn’?”

“I do. It made a box office killing and faded away. The music was wonderful.”

“How about that feature length cartoon featuring the lesbian spies, ‘Death in Kazakhstan’?”

“That was wonderful. I was barely old enough to see it. My parents were a little upset. They saw it a week after I did,” Caitriona said.

“She received two Oscars for that one, too.

“I have to talk to her.” Ashley quietly walked to the table across the room.

“Mrs. Essegian, I’m Ashley Finlayson. I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your music, and I’m pretty sure that I have recordings of all your music. I would love to get your autograph on my CDs, but they’re in Boston.”

“Please, I’m Fanny, and this is my niece, Demeter Esterházy. Would you and your companion like to join us? There’s plenty of room.”

Ashley introduced her aunt to Fanny and Demeter. “We’re trying to find a flat. I’m starting work on my BSN this fall at Columbia, and my aunt is going to be staying with me.”

Ashley knew she might be going too far but she had to say it. “I have a copy of your grandmother’s book. She means so much to me. She has given me courage.”

Fanny and Demeter looked at her. There was no doubt in Ashley’s mind that both Fanny and Demeter understood what she was saying.

Demeter, call me Demi, spoke up. “Great Gramma meant the world to us. I remember her like it was yesterday. I was eight when she passed away, and hardly a day goes by when I don’t think about her. My big sister is going to be a doctor. She wants to help people like Musetta was.” Realizing her mistake, “I’m sorry, that wasn’t right of me.”

“That’s not a problem. I wouldn’t have said what I did if I didn’t want you to know. We’re trying to find a place to stay that’s convenient to Columbia. Aunt Trina is here to help me through the next few years.”

“Have you found a place that meets your requirements?” Fanny asked.

“Nothing close, our real estate agent didn’t seem to want to listen to what our needs are,” Ashley said. “We’re not destitute, but we don’t like getting taken to the cleaners.”

“See the apartment building down the street with the moving van out front? My husband and I own that building. We bought it forty years ago. Our idea was to provide off campus housing for a select few students attending school at Julliard. Demi is moving in this week and her cousin George Farnsworthy and his wife are moving out as are Johann and Lotte O’Donnell. What that means is that there is going to be a vacancy. We don’t have anyone set to move into that one unit. I think we can make you the same offer that we made them.

“What do you think Demi?”

“If they can put up with all those crazy music students. Ashley is going to Columbia, and that’s where you received your MD. I think we can trust them to not tear the place apart.”

“We were looking for a two bedroom, two bath unit,” Caitriona stated.

“All of the units are at least that big. We’ve had to do quite a bit of remodeling over the years. We also thought about putting in an elevator, but if we do that we’re going to have to put in an automatic sprinkler system. That will cost in excess of a million dollars in addition to the cost of the elevator. The worst thing is that the building would have to be vacant for a year. That means twenty occupants would have to live elsewhere. We’re just not ready to take that step.

“May I ask how much a month we’re talking about?” Ashley asked.

“Members of the O’Donnell clan stay for the cost of the utilities.”

“That would be wonderful; however, although I already feel like I’ve known you for years, that wouldn’t be right. What do the other students pay?”

“They pay the same rate as the on-campus students do at Julliard. Married students and some special cases live here. There are also some residents who’ve been here since we bought the building. Rent control makes it pretty nice for them. When they move out, we gut their apartment and bring it up to the standards of the other units.

“Before we discuss this any further, I think we need to finish lunch. Then we can go down and take a look. It may turn out that the apartments are not satisfactory.”

Somehow, Caitriona and Ashley didn’t think this would be the case.

By the time they got to the apartment building, a second small moving van had parked in front, much to the displeasure of some of the residents in the area as they would have to find a parking lot.

“There is an underground parking garage around the corner. Their rates are exorbitant; however, with the difference in rent, a spot does become affordable. Some of the students do drive, and Demi has a spot,” Fanny added.

“I don’t think we’re planning on having a car while we’re here.”

“Fanny!” a voice from the stair caught their attention. Two couples were supervising the moving of some furniture and other items. It had turned out that a couple of crates had been mixed and put on the wrong trucks.

Introductions were quickly made. “Everyone,” Demi said, “These are Caitriona Fleming and her niece Ashley Finlayson. Ashley’s starting Columbia next fall, and they are looking for a place to live.

“I guess I’ll go from left to right. That handsome guy with the silly British accent is my cousin, George Farnsworthy, son of the PM, but we won’t tell anyone. The beautiful brunette is his pregnant wife, Elizabeth. The other fellow is my German cousin, Johann O’Donnell, and that zaftig beauty is his wife, Lotte. I don’t think she’s pregnant – yet.

Johann said something in German, and Demi immediately responded in German, and rushed to hug the beautiful, dark haired woman.

“I said it was none of her business, but it seems we are expecting also,” Johann replied. “Please, Demi, let us let everyone know. Try to restrain yourself.”

The laborers were getting impatient and started saying something in a language that Ashley didn’t understand. Demi turned and fired something back at them in the same language.

Two of the workers laughed, and the other one looked a bit embarrassed.

“Let’s get inside, moving is such a pain in the ass.”

“What did you say to them, Demi?” Ashley asked.

“The little guy was wondering who had the bigger tits, Lotte or me. They’re Italian. I told the little guy that I’d wash his mouth out with soap and pound him into the ground like a fence post if he didn’t watch his tongue. I could do it, too. He wouldn’t stand a chance against me.”

“You speak three languages. That’s amazing,” Caitriona said.

“I’m an opera singer, and it’s necessary. Actually, I speak Spanish fairly well, and I’m working on French and Russian. French gives me fits.”

“Were you serious about George being the son of the Prime Minister of England?”

“He is, without a doubt,” Fanny interjected. “It’s all very complicated. George and Johann’s parents are twins. They’re my younger brother and sister. We can go over the family tree some other time. You need to see the apartment.”

The flat was perfect. There were two bedrooms, each with an ensuite. The large living area included a baby grand piano. Pianos were difficult to move, so Fanny decided many years before that most flats would have a piano; something that was absolutely necessary for music students. Some Julliard students were not musicians but were in other areas of the performing arts, and may or may not need a piano.

“As we remodeled each apartment we added sound proofing to the adjoining walls and ceiling. It’s made a great difference.

“Demi, could you see to your cousins for a little while? We need some privacy.” Turning to Ashley and Caitriona, “May we talk for a few minutes about you, Ashley?”

“Certainly.” Ashley had been hoping for this conversation.

“Are you seeing a doctor,” Fanny asked.

“Most definitely. I’d decided a long time ago that I had to do this the right way. I have the rest of my life to look forward to, and I don’t want to screw it up.”

“May I ask who your doctor is?”

“Yes, it’s Dr. McKenzie in Boston.”

“That would be Robert McKenzie?”

“Yes, he’s my father’s doctor, and we went to him first. He recommended an endocrinologist and psychologist for me. They have worked out very well.”

“Bob McKenzie is an excellent doctor. He was second in our class at Columbia.” Ashley didn’t think she needed to ask who was first in the class.

“How long have you been on HRT?”

“A little over a month. I’m just beginning to feel the effects. I love it.”

“I would have thought longer. Your voice is perfect. You might need a bit of a tracheal shave. That being said, you pass without any trouble at all. If you hadn’t said anything, I never would have noticed.

“I’m assuming your parents are okay with what you are doing.”

“Daddy is wonderful. He’s taking care of everything. Mom has a serious problem with what she felt was my cross dressing. They’re divorced, and she does not know I’m transitioning. She lives in Brooklyn. I told her I was going to college in a different state. She’s a recovering alcoholic, and I don’t need to upset her any more than I already have. I’ll tell her one of these days, but it will be after I complete my transition.”

“Have you thought about a doctor for your GCS?”

“Not really, I think that will be four years off; after I graduate.”

“We have an excellent data base. Musetta started it, and we keep it updated. We’ve gone to a lot of trouble to ensure only the best surgeons are listed there. I’ve interviewed most of them. Would you like the link?”

“I have it.”

“I’m sorry Dr. Robynn Jones passed away. She was one of the best.”

“She did Musetta’s surgery, didn’t she?”

“She also did General Angela Bilitnikov’s. Robynn retired a year later. She’d be well over a hundred by now.”

“Angela Bilitnikov: wasn’t she a war hero. She and someone else got the Medal of Honor. I remember hearing something about that on the news.”

“The other person was my baby brother.”

“Oh my gosh, I had no idea.”

“Enough of that, do you like the apartment?”

“It’s perfect.”

“Obviously, it will need a little cleaning up. We’ll take care of that. It’ll be ready next week. This is always a busy time here with one class graduating and another coming in. I’ll find a contract for you. I know I have some around here.

“I wish you the best, dear one. You are so pretty, and you will only get prettier. By the way, there is an outstanding beautician a few blocks from here. She comes highly recommended by the transgender.”

“If that’s Amber Schwartz, I’d have to agree. I have been going to her since last summer. She is so sweet and gentle. She wants to do a full make over on me, and I think I will let her.”

“She’s the one. You’ve made some excellent choices.”

“Sorry to interrupt, Fanny.” They turned to see Demi standing at the door. “The garbage disposal in 4B is dead, and I think someone tried to grind up a chicken in it. Gross!”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Ashley has a place to live, and there is no question that school is going to be difficult. Under the proper supervision and care she continues her transition. She hasn’t seen Mike in four years. She finally does under the most horrible of circumstances.

up
183 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Trying to figure out the core story is...

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

NOT driving me to drink. Having fun reading.

Thank you for sharing your work with us all.

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Your Answer Is Correct

littlerocksilver's picture

I think after the next chapter we might get a few more right answers.

Portia

Portia,

Portia,
A wonderful continuing story and I do enjoy seeing more members of the families O'Donnell and Essegian "pop up" every so often.
Janice Lynn

Nice for Ashley

Podracer's picture

this episode, an uplifting turn of luck to give her something under her feet and cope with the trials ahead. Her life isn't going to be simple, is it?

"Reach for the sun."

Manhattan Realities

Brownstones are five stories, tops, and have two one-bedroom units per floor, as a rule. Garbage disposers were just legalized, but they are usually too much for a brownstone's limited drains—plumbing was often installed after the brownstone was built. And especially important, nobody calls cabs in Manhattan. Cabs are street hails, black cars are called cars. (Black cars are usually black Lincoln Town Cars, but the important thing is that car service cars are not medallion taxis—taxis are forbidden to take radio calls.)

Changes

littlerocksilver's picture

I changed brownstone to apartment building. I think that is more realistic for what my mind's eye sees.

Portia

Which Borough does Ashley live in?

If the apartment is in Queens, it will neither be convenient to Julliard nor to Columbia. It would be conveniently close to Julliard and to Columbia's main campus if it were on the Upper West Side, but Ashley is a nursing student, and the uptown campus is about fifty blocks further uptown than music students like to go...
Still, a Manhattan address is better than a Queens address, which would require at least one change of subway lines before getting to whichever Columbia campus she needs to get to...
Alas, we need a bit more artistic license here.
FYI: "As a graduate school, Columbia Nursing does not offer a four- year undergraduate program. However, our combined BS/MS Entry to Practice is open to those who have received an undergraduate degree in a non-nursing field and wish to make a career change." Columbia College has gone coed, and there's still Barnard, the women's college on the other side of Broadway. Ashley could conceivably attend either, before entering the combined program...
Enough quibbling, get on with the story, which is good enough to warrant comment by curmudgeons from "da City."