Mike and Ashley, Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version
Mike and Ashley, Chapter 6 of 9

By Portia Bennett

Introduction: Mike Donatella has just gotten out of the Navy and is desperately searching for a way to get away from his father’s business. He blindsided by his father’s announcement that he is getting married. The shocker is that his father is going to marry Sean Finlayson’s daughter, Ashley. Mike almost outs Ashley but thinks better of it. Now he’s been tasked to bring Ashley back to his father. Could things get worse?

The story is not mine. It is based on a very old tale that might have been part of English/Irish lore, it might be French or German. It might even be Persian in origin. I’ll leave it to you to try to figure out what tale it is. If you think you know, PM me. Don’t spoil it for others.

Although there are characters from other stories who make brief appearances, this is a stand-alone story.


 

This work is copyrighted by the author and any publication or distribution without the written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to persons living or dead is coincidental.


 

Mike and Ashley

 

Chapter 6

“So, how does it feel to be out of the Navy?”

“Pretty damn good in some ways. They were going to send me to OCS, but I didn’t want to stay in. I hope I don’t regret it.”

“You won’t, believe me. I’m going to have you making this business run like a fine watch.

“I have some news for you. ‘Irish’ Finlayson has gotten himself into a serious financial bind. I’m buying him out and paying off his debts. He’s still going to run the Boston operation for us. We’ll pay him and his people well. I think there’s good money to be made. Finlayson would still be in business except for some bad luck.

“I have some more news. I’m getting married. Your mom’s been gone for fifteen years, and I need some full time companionship.”

“Who is the lucky lady?” Mike asked.

“This lady is real first class. She’s a nurse, but I wouldn’t allow her to work. I mean, you can’t believe how good looking she is.”

“Who is she, Dad?”

“Sean Finlayson’s daughter.”

“What, I didn’t ….”

“I’m going out to Vegas for a little rest and recreation. I want you to take the yacht up to Boston, and bring her back in style. I had to agree to let her aunt to come along. Apparently, they’re inseparable. I want her to be treated like the queen she’s going to be. We’ll get married and travel the world while you run the operation.”

Mike knew at that point that it was useless to talk to his father about anything. He wanted nothing to do with the business. He wanted to run a small tourist boat business in the Caribbean. As soon as he found an opportunity, he was going to use his savings plus a VA loan to get started.

He knew that his father frequently went to Las Vegas and to take advantage of the legal houses of prostitution in the area. Johnny used to brag about his prowess. He wasn’t bragging much these days, and Mike had inadvertently come across a rather large supply of a popular ED pill.

About Sean Finlayson’s daughter, Sean never heard Ash mention a sister. Surely, he would have said something about a sister. Then he remembered that Ash had said he was going to study to be a nurse. This was getting stranger by the moment.

At dinner that night, Mike asked the question he’d failed to ask that afternoon. “Dad, what’s this angel’s name? You didn’t tell me this morning.”

“I’m sorry. I got carried away. Her name’s Ashley. I have her picture somewhere. Just a minute, I’ll show you.”

Mike was dreading what he knew he’d see when his father brought the picture back.

His father returned with a framed photo, probably her graduation picture. His father was correct. She was absolutely beautiful, and there was no question that it was Ash. Ash had always had a feminine quality about him, and now Mike could see why. This was the way she should have always been. No wonder she’d been so cryptic about things.

Mike felt something building within that he was having trouble describing. Ash had been his best friend, and now he realized maybe it had been a bit more than that. That went against his grain a bit, because he was certain he was not gay.

“You’re right, Dad, she is beautiful. When did you propose?”

“I told Sean that to seal the deal, I wanted his daughter’s hand. He promised her to me, and he says she agreed. It’s a done deal.

“I’m taking the plane to Vegas, and I’ll be gone a week. I want you and Carlo to take the yacht up there tomorrow. They’re supposed to be ready, and you can bring them back the next day. Her aunt’s room is on the third floor, and it’s ready. Ashley will have the guest room until we are married. I wouldn’t want the Priest to question our relationship.”

Mike was conflicted. He loved his father, but didn’t like what he did. He was certain that Ashley didn’t love his father; that she was only doing it to save her father. He didn’t want to screw things up for the Finlaysons. He had to put on a front, but wasn’t sure he could. He wasn’t happy at all about the fact Carlo was coming along. He’d not had much contact with Carlo over the last six years, and he felt that their relationship had changed considerably over that time. Then there was this feeling he had for Ashley. That couldn’t be right.

The family yacht, ‘Torna a Sorrento’, was moored at a private dock on Long Island sound. Mike was an experienced boat pilot even before he’d joined the Navy. He’d quickly moved up in ranks while in in the Navy and was soon piloting boats for the shore patrol in Philadelphia. It was something he enjoyed very much.

Carlo, on the other hand was a land lubber. He was seasick before they’d gone ten miles from the dock. The two crew members were mostly responsible for taking care of the engine room and operating the kitchen. Mike was the only true sailor among the lot. The yacht was capable of cruising at 25 knots, faster if necessary, and the distance by sea to Boston was about 360 nautical miles. The trip would take about fifteen hours. The trip could have been considerably shorter by the Cape Cod Canal; however, a boat collision had shut the canal down for several weeks.

There wasn’t any reason to bust their butts to get there, so Mike made arrangements for an overnight in Nantucket Harbor. That would at least allow Carlo and the crew some shore time. Mike would stay onboard.

They pulled into the pier in Boston at noon the next day. Carlo had had a miserable trip. Mike didn’t think that he’d seen anyone so miserable, and suggested that Carlo remain on board while he went to the Finlayson home to get Ashley and her aunt. Carlo agreed.

Ashley. Mike tried to go back seven years before when he, Carlo and Ash played stick ball. The trouble was that the only image he could conjure up was the one his father had shown him. This was going to be difficult.

“Carlo, make sure the boat is fully serviced. The fuel people are down there. Just tell them what boat you’re from and give them the slip number. Use the company credit card.

The Finlayson’s driver, Niall, was waiting for him as the boat was moored. This was not going to be easy. He tried to talk himself through a scenario where he would feign ignorance and not let on that he was aware of Ash’s transition. That was stupid. The only thing he could think of was to appear to be put off about what Ash/Ashley had done, and try to distance himself as much as possible from her. He didn’t dare let his feelings show.

“Good afternoon, Mr. Finlayson, I’m Mike Donatella. My father sent me up here to take your daughter and her aunt back to New York. I would like to leave as soon as possible.”

“You resemble your father. I will introduce you to my daughter and her aunt. Please take good care of her.”

Mike followed Ashley’s father to a room at the other end of the house. They were obviously waiting for him. Their suitcases were in the hall.

“Niall, take Miss Ashley and Ms. Fleming’s bags to the car. I need to say goodbye to my daughter and her Aunt.”

They were in a sitting room, obviously part of a suite of rooms. Yes, she was beautiful, even more beautiful than the picture indicated. The look of shock on her face as he stepped into the room made it very apparent that she hadn’t expected to see him.

“Mr. Donatella, this is my daughter, Ashley. She is my life. Please take care of her. This is her Aunt, Caitriona Fleming. She will be accompanying you.”

Sean hugged and kissed his daughter, then did the same for her aunt. He then left. Mike thought he spotted a tear.

*******************************

Things were not going well that morning in the Finlayson household. They had received the call that morning that the yacht would be arriving at midday.

Ashley vacillated between tears, rage and despair. “Trina, I can’t, will not, go through with this. You once told me that you could make a poison that would be quick and painless. I would rather die than marry that evil, smelly man.”

“I can formulate what you say. How would you want to take it?”

“Put it in some wine. I will suggest a toast to the upcoming adventure and then drink the poisoned wine. Father will have to find his own way out of his problems. I can’t do it for him.”

“I will do as you say, dear one.”

************************************

Mike’s indifference to her during her father’s introduction steeled her wishes to end it all. He hadn’t batted an eye. She knew he knew who she was. Yet, he’d shown no emotion. Obviously, he was just like his father. It was all business. Their friendship had just been a sham. That made her decision easy. He would die with her.

“Trina, would you please pour us some of that special wine, the one we talked about this morning.”

“Certainly, it will be just a minute.”

Caitriona returned with three glasses of wine. Ashley didn’t really take much notice.

“To our little adventure. May it end well,” Ashley said as she raised her glass. Her hand might have been shaking a bit. The three glasses touched and each took a sip.

“So, tell me, Mike, what have you done these last six years?”

“I just got out of the Navy. Other than training, I spent most of my time in Philadelphia.” Then in almost a whisper he said, “Do you think your father will return soon.”

“I don’t think so,” she said taking a good sip of wine. Mike and Caitriona did the same.

“Good. This has been very difficult for me. I was sure you didn’t have a sister, and when I saw your graduation picture I knew for certain it was you. You are quite pretty, you know. I was torn apart. I almost let on to father that I knew who you were. Then I realized that would be the worst thing that I could do. I couldn’t let your father know that I knew, either. I have had several days to think about this. I’ve had all these strange thoughts. Whether you realize it or not, you were my best friend that last year of school.”

Had either of them looked, they might have seen a smile creeping across Caitriona’s face.

“I just realized something. Two years ago, I was mugged in New York City. It was stupid of me. I left a bar, and rather than call a cab, I thought I’d walk a little bit. Maybe I’d had too much to drink. These three guys jumped me and I was stabbed a couple of times. I guess I was hit on the head, too. They told me later that two ladies had given me first aid. If it hadn’t been for them, I would have died. As it was, I spent two weeks in the hospital.

“I thought it was a dream. You know, when somebody tells you something enough times, you begin to believe it. But it wasn’t a dream. It was you. I know it was. There was light going through your hair. It was like a halo.”

“Yes, that was us,” Ashley said. “It was pure luck. We’d just left my graduation party. We saw you on the ground and those hoods were going through your pockets. The cabbie dropped us off. We told him to stay, but he fled. We did what we could until the ambulance got there. The policeman took us home. We knew the next day that you were going to be okay. You were on the news.”

“You don’t love my father. I know that for sure now that I’ve seen you. The strange thing is, I think I do love you. I think I knew it when I saw your picture. Everything seemed so right. It made so much sense”

“Oh God, what have I done,” Ashley suddenly wailed. “I’ve poisoned the wine.”

“The wine is not poisoned. I may have added something special for you, though,” Caitriona said.

“I knew Ashley loved you two years ago. Now that that is out in the open. What are we going to do?” Caitriona asked.

By this time the two former high school chums were hugging and exchanging kisses. Their passion was increasing by the second.

“That is easy,” Mike replied. “We will get rid of Carlo and the two crew members. Then we will get lost.”

“But, your father will know something is wrong when we don’t show up.”

“My father will be out of touch for another five days. The boat should have enough fuel for at least ten days. We’ll find a place to hole up out of country for a while and work on our plans.

________________________________________________________________

The two lovers to be are reunited after seven years apart. Seven years when they never really forgot about the other. They have a problem, actually several. Carlo’s presence is a serious problem as Mike realizes he is not the friend he had in high school. They are going to have to go somewhere before Mike’s father finds out.

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ah, youts and yung luff, it's vonderfol

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Now all they have to do is 'off' the old guys and liff hoppily effer after.

Fun stuff Portia, thanks.

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Hmmmm, wonder if Trina put

Hmmmm, wonder if Trina put some kind of concoction in the drink that will make Ashley look like she had a heart attack or something? If Mike can get the boat "lost" somewhere in the islands where he wants to run a charter, maybe the three of them can have a nice life there, if Trina wants to go with them.

A fun story

gillian1968's picture

I'm enjoying this one very much.

Gillian Cairns

Good to Hear From You

littlerocksilver's picture

Had you figured out what the original story was? Now that the answer's been out there for a while, it's kinda hard to keep it a secret. I had a lot of fun writing it.

Portia

This story is great

WillowD's picture

I haven't figured out what this story is based on yet but I love the way it is going so far.