The Warrior Princess - part 2 of 3

Printer-friendly version

Going cross country and reaching the fort

grakh on parch full_0.png
 
The Saga of the Warrior Princess

Part 2 of 3 – Phase 1

by Diana Ouida Wonder


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2015 Di Wonder. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2018 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


The Saga of the Warrior Princess

2 – Phase 1

Gylfi's eyes suddenly opened and a spurt of panic shot through him.

«How can I sleep in the middle of a battle?» he berated himself.

He started to reach for his sword when he saw Stine leaning down next to him.

«Relax, Gylfi, old friend. You have done your work. The Yodans are in retreat.»

«But who are these new uniforms?»

«Hush now brother! We are in control. Sleep now.»

~o~O~o~

So Gylfi shut his eyes once more, and his thoughts drifted back to the cross-country journey they had made to the fort and the subsequent events ...

«You two, take your mounts and investigate that gap there on the crestline. Find a way across. The rest of us will load up the other beasts with your supplies so that you two can travel lightly. We shall then follow you as soon as we may, once we have loaded everything and cleaned up any traces of our passage. Go now, we must be over that crest before dark, if at all possible.»

Maarku and I understood what was required, and so we went off as quickly as we could. The ground this side of the crest was trackless, which meant we had to be careful but at the same time we had to rush. We had those light loads of course which was a help. We took ropes, extra cloaks, and some sturdy wooden staves, but little else aside from our basic weapons. We knew also that, if we were successful, then we would probably need some things to mark the trail.

It took us nearly one of the roughly three bells we had left of daylight to reach the crestline at that small saddle we had espied from the road. Our stomachs dropped immediately. There was no way we could descend on the other side. The drop was sheer and probably two dozen strides in height. Maybe we could have roped down it, but there was no way we could take the frayen with us. We had frayen with us to help us cover the ground more quickly, it would be folly to have to abandon them at the first obstacle.

But we retained that in our minds as a distinct possibility.

We decided to look for some other solution.

I turned left along the crestline, heading eastwards and Maarku went the other way, both of us rushing as much as we could. I had a moment or two of concern as I found a stretch of shale and my mount slipped a couple of times on the traverse, but we struggled through and I saw ahead of me a promising outcrop on the far side of the crest.

As I approached it, I could see what looked like a safe path down the side of it into the yonder valley, so I was hopeful – provided always that there was a safe path from the crest down to the outcrop. I heard a hail from behind me and I twisted round to see Maarku waving negatively, and indicating that he would come up to me. I didn't wait for him.

Our side of the crest was getting less and less favourable the nearer we approached that outcropping I had spotted from afar.

Until we came to near the top of a recent rockslide, and our way was impossible.

By this time, Maarku had come up to me and we neither could see a way forward. A large boulder, taller than me and twice as wide, was in our way; the slope either side of it was far too steep for anything other than an avian. The boulder was a slightly different colour to the surrounding rocks so we could see that it had obviously rolled there, and we could see that in fact it had cleared a good path down to its current position from some two dozen strides further upslope.

We looked around but could see nothing to solve our problem. There seemed to be a way to descend to the upper surface of the outcropping from a little way above the top of boulder's path, a step having been created when it left its origins.

But the Gods-cursed thing blocked our way and we could not pass it. We would have to retrace our steps, descend, climb the valley floor and search for another route up. Far down below, we could see the long line of frayen approaching this wall of the valley. It surprised me just how far they were below us.

I took a thick cloak from my saddlebag, intending to tie it somehow to the rock, so that we had an aiming point from below. I approached the rock gingerly, a coil of rope and the cloak with me. Just as I got near it, some loose gravel slipped beneath my leading foot and I slid into the boulder.

It rocked. There was a distinct wobble to it.

It didn't take Maarku and I very long to spot the pile of chippings that was stopping it rolling away to the stream in the valley floor.

«If we clear that pile, surely 'twill roll down and clear this path.»

Now Maarku always see the negative side of everything, and this was no different an occasion. He used the gloomiest of his many gloomy tones: «And probably set off a slide that will bury the others!»

«Aye that is one possibility. Of many. Another is that it could clear our way. And we both know what our Princess would expect of us!”»

«Aye. Let's hope that we can do it then.»

«She knows not to stay directly downhill from us, so there is a great chance that any rock slide we set off will miss them all.»

It took us maybe a quarter of a bell to find suitable tools – pieces of rock and stone to use for leverage – and to start work. It took all of a hand of moments to achieve the objective. Looking back at it, it was quite frightening actually.

The huge rock teetered for just a heartbeat or two and then tipped over, as Maarku and I applied all our strength to the task. Its descent was accompanied by a loud roar, and what seemed to be half the face fell down with it. Barely a foot's length away from us, some of the slope was taken with it. Our frayen showed extreme nervousness so we spent a moment or two calming them. We watched in awe as the roar of the stonefall continued for a good long while.

Maarku was nearly right. The very edge of the rock stream got to within four dozen paces of our colleagues. We knew we had to send a signal to them, knowing that the Princess would have a telescope trained upon us. We gave the signal for them to wait as we turned our feet once more up the slope. Only a hand of moments were required to see that there was a narrow way turning and twisting through large rocks and underfoot hollows and pot holes down to the top of the outcrop.

«You stay here on the ridgeline where she can see you and I will investigate the other side. This would be stupid if we can't descend over there!»

«Most likely we won't be able to!»

This time Maarku was wrong. It took me a further quarter of a bell to get down to the top of the outcrop, and to see an awkward, but nevertheless feasible way down to the more gentle slope below. I went a few strides down it and discovered an extra possible bonus for us – a pair of shallow holes, not deep enough to call caves, that would be a welcome shelter for most of us this night, should they prove habitable. I signalled Maarku who in turn signalled for the others to come on. I left my animal down in that first hollow, having seen that it was solid and dry enough for a good quarter of our company. I scrambled back up to the ridge and stood with Maarku, gazing downwards.

We could see them studying the new wall from below, and watched as they altered their course across the valley to make a more direct approach to our position. We were not idle ourselves – we picked out a route downwards towards them, Well Maarku did most of that, since my animal was still down below on the other side of the ridge. I used what was to hand to make the passage up at the top less uneven, and the way down to the shallow caves better marked. I filled in some of the holes, and actually managed to clear a few of the rocks before I returned to the top.

Thus it was that I had a good view as I watched them work their way up to us. When they met Maarku, there was a brief pummel of his shoulder and then they came up, Maarku leading the way and Vynil bringing up the rear, removing Maarku's trail markers as he did so.

We were all distributed around the hollows, with the susceptible stores stashed away from the worst of the weather by the time the light finally failed

The Princess had gathered us all together for a talk that evening, before we went to our 'beds' early.

«We have done well today. I confess that I thought we might have problems getting across the crestline. Now gather round so you can see this map, and I'll explain a little more. See here, we had that early lunch on the col, the border between upland Brugan and the country of Shald, at that bend in the road there.»

Her finger pointed out that feature, and continued to do so as she spoke further.

«All these countries have an upland portion above the shoulders of the Great Valley. See here, by crossing the crestline we passed from the Kingdom of Shald (which is NOT a Great Valley country) into the upland portion of a country called Ferenis. Now see here, the crestlines are marked and the eastern side of this Ferenis upland portion has this great curved crestline between it and the uplands of Smordan. Once we round the southern side of this great curve here, we could, theoretically, be seen from our target, which is here, this sharp point jutting into the Great Valley.

«This is where the story gets a little complicated. The fortress we are aiming for is on that point, and it overlooks the town of Forguland, there, across the river. In fact, you could say it controls Forguland. For that reason it is normally manned by soldiers of Forguland, even though it is itself in Ferenis. This is because occasionally, over the ages, the great river has changed its course. Ferenis and Forguland have had this agreement for centuries, but Yod have thrown all this into confusion.

«They have invaded from here, see there's Yod itself, and have taken over this littoral to the north and west of the river – see here, it is some twenty or so marks along. The road that supplies the fortress climbs up from this littoral just about there where the Great Valley walls stretch out again. The bottom of that road comes out deep into the area that Yod has taken. They have erected some steady defences much farther along the river bank and feel themselves very safe there. Anyone would have to cross the river to attack them and they would get a lot of notice that way.

«So we take the fortress and they would have to attack uphill along a narrow road to retake it. That will distract some of their forces and would then open them up to potential attacks from the forces of Ferenis in the first instance, and possibly Forguland too. So tomorrow I want to get across to that great southern curve here and find somewhere to stay overnight. We should be able to push on quite quickly. Once we round that curve then we shall have to be more wary, and send out more wary scouting parties than the ones we will have for that traverse. The more we do tomorrow, the less we will have to do later. Now sleep as well as you can, and be prepared for some hard work in the morning. Thank you and good night.»

We passed a night that wasn't particularly comfortable, but considerably more comfortable than it could have been. It was cold, the rocks we were lying on seemed to ignore the puny heat our bodies were generating.

~o~O~o~

The next morning we started out especially early. The fact that we would prefer to be moving rather than lying on rock, no matter how padded under us it was, was a contributory factor, none of us getting very warm as we slept. I think we all shivered a lot that night, even the ones near the fires.

Another contributory factor, of course, was the Princess' desire to get as far towards our target as possible. We all had half an eye on the skies too – yesterday had been acceptable but the clouds had closed in some more overnight and they felt pregnant with snow somehow. A snow cover would be particularly bad for us, for we wouldn't be able to see the uneven terrain and might more easily step in a pothole with resultant twisted ankles or worse. Scree slopes would be hidden and could take us unawares.

Not to mention leaving a clear and undeniable track of our passage.

So it was that we set out barely after the day had broken, and after a very small, very quickly produced cold breakfast, the Tai Chi helped us get the stiffness out of our bodies.

I have to say that we achieved our objective for that day relatively easily. We soon saw that upland Ferenis basically sloped from north-east down towards the south-west, but also tipped towards the shoulder of the Great Valley. We descended from our lofty ‘caves’ relatively easily and then we headed for that great southern curve in the valley wall. We did this by simply following the contours round, going first mostly easterly and then curving round until we ended going almost due south. The curve of the valley side to our left started to pull away more and more to the east when the scouts returned to Her Highness and reported, in the mid-afternoon. They had found a comprehensive set of real caves that would do well to provide some shelter both from the weather and from prying eyes. There were sufficient trees and bushes around that we could be sure we would be almost invisible, the only danger being the flickering of our fires at night time, and the reflections of those flickers on the rock walls. The only lack was any fresh running water.

Her Highness told us to rest here while she went off with the scouts. Less than half a bell later, she returned.

«I doubt we shall find anything better than that area for a camp tonight, so we shall overnight there. I want two pairs to scout ahead a bit to make the going easier on the morrow. But do not be seen, whatever happens.»

Four of our group departed silently to scout out the lay of the land we would be passing through on the morrow, but they couldn't range too far due to the time of daylight left, so the rest of us went to these caves and set up the camp, lit a cooking fire and got some water on to boil.

Just before dusk fell 'properly', the scouts returned. They had announced that the trees and bushes abounded and would constrict our ease of passage, but that the land had plenty of folds which would obscure our presence, at least for the next hand or so of marks. A decent meal was consumed, and our private functions dealt with before we settled down to another night sleeping on a rocky ground, our second night in the wilds. Once again the rock seemed intent on sucking out our body warmth, so much so that we all paired up, which was marginally better than what we had suffered the night before.

~o~O~o~

On our third day, progress was much slower as we went far more warily. Scouts were sent ahead and we progressed like that, never exposing ourselves to any possibility of being seen, even though we negotiated our way round that great curve. I estimated that, had the ground been flat, we would have been able to see the fortress around a hand or two of marks distant.

We slipped silently over a mini-crest between two waves in the ground, and stumbled upon a wild jumble of scattered rocks. Along with two little streams. The advantages of this as a campsite were so obvious, that it was immediately apparent that we should use these facilities, and set this up as our base camp. Using the rocks themselves, and our four large shields, we were able to arrange things so that no flickering light would betray our presence. Scouts had been again sent out ahead to use the last bell and a half of light. Again with the command not to be seen.

They returned to report that there was a good collection point, about two marks from the target, which would be relatively hidden from prying eyes.

«But we must all be quiet, this night. Sound carries too well in this sort of country.»

Thus it was that we settled in to a surprisingly comfortable camp, and we discovered, by accident, something else that was valuable.

We had cut a fair amount of wood for the fires whilst waiting for the return of Sten, Stine, Eirik and Torvin. We made several piles of the cuttings and covered them just in case the skies decided to at last unload – they had remained kind to us during the day. It is a fact of a warrior's life that he learns quite quickly to grab as much sleep as he can, whenever the opportunity arises. So I decided to just have a little lie down on one of the piles of cuttings, thus keeping out of the way of anyone else moving around. I spread under me exactly what I had had under me the night before. I hoped that I wouldn't be so cold as I had been then.

I woke of course when the scouts returned – to find that the light had almost failed. And to find that I was a lot more comfortable than I had been the night before. I discussed this with Heldra and we decided that we could make a report of our ideas to the others.

«I suggest that the rock last night was so cold that it was sucking the heat from us even as we were sleeping upon it. I was a lot warmer this afternoon on the pile of cuttings, and I think those wood cuttings beneath me prevented the greedy rock from being able to suck that heat out. I for one shall be sleeping tonight on a pile of cuttings!»

«And me,» added Heldra, only to blush furiously when everyone laughed suggestively.

«No! No! I didn't mean that. I meant ….»

«Yes. We know EXACTLY what you meant, young lady,» said Fritjof with an exaggerated leer.

I squeezed her hand and signed to her to just let it go, which she did, somewhat reluctantly.

As we ate a very welcome hot meal, the scouts gave their report.

«The land is much folded and we should be able to approach quite closely, from what we can see. We would recommend that we advance to that collection point, in effect a mini-canyon, leaving the frayen and most of the supplies here. We could then use the day to scout much better, and find out what we need to.»

«Agreed. It is time that I saw for myself where we stand.» We all noted the increased air of command Her Highness was now using.

Then the conversation turned to the usual teasing banter, words that had some basis in truth but were exaggerated to make a funnier story.

Like, for instance, my reputation as being somewhat taciturn and sparse with my words.

«You, Gylfi, you are tough. You get on with it. To listen to your telling of the story of our journey, anyone would think we had just had a short stroll across a hillside or two.»

There were several grins and nods round about, and Heldra squeezed my upper arm where hers was wrapped round it.

«What more is there to say?» I queried. «We made it over the crestline from Shald into Ferenis, we crossed the valley unobserved, we camped at night, our supplies have not suffered any losses. We are here.» I deliberately made it factual and boring. And as if it was nothing.

«You don't mention the frayen we had to put down when it broke its leg in that fall when the loose rocks gave way. The rescuing of Dakig when he was trapped in that fissure. Radwan and Matz hunting those animals that we could have fresh meat. The discomfort of sleeping. The weary muscles. The unpleasantness of having to undress in freezing temperatures just to get rid of our waste. And all the other little things that the poets and saga masters would include to enthrall their audiences, shit aside of course.»

There were a few chuckles at that.

«I'm a warrior. What do I want with all that fancy fiddledeedee stuff? Dakig is here, the frayen isn't, we ate, and I had a shit.» I was deliberately goading them, of course.

There were some glances towards Heldra, as Kammon continued: «Well, maybe one day you will be a father, and you will want your son to know about your exploits. Something more than 'I walked forty marks and killed the enemy'.»

I was about to reply, when Heldra leapt into the conversation with a forceful question: «And why does his child have to be a boy? What reason do you have to discount a girl?»

And then the conversation settled down into the standard men against women statements.

That night, we had a slight twist to the conversation: «So it's alright for women to want to be men, but not for men to want to be women? Why is that then?»

It started to get quite heated when Her Highness told us to keep the volume down. We all guiltily complied. But the interruption had broken the mood, somehow and the conversation became more and more desultory.

Soon after that we drifted off to our beds, if they could be so called.

~o~O~o~

It was indeed much warmer sleeping on a layer that separated us from the rock, and many thanked me the next day. They also teased us of course, and now, at last, I realised that Heldra was beginning to accept the teasing rather than be upset by it.

We started the day as normal, Tai Chi and breakfast, but then we constructed a paddock for the frayen, spread some feed about and left them behind us with promises to return as soon as we could.

Now Danisa and Heldra saw why we had two different sized and shaped shields. They had had a clue the night before when we used the shields as windbreaks and curtains to prevent our firelight from being seen, but today we used them as drays or small wagons – but without the wheels, just tugging them along behind us, one edge attached to our waists while the opposite one dragged on the ground. It made our line a lot longer but our loads were transported with relative ease.

We took nearly three bells to reach the little canyon that the scouts had found the evening before, but the Princess declared it to be perfect for its suggested use as our advanced base. Another bell was spent in making it more suitable to our needs, and then, after a cold lunch, we stripped ourselves down to the bare essentials and went to gather information about the enemy. Danisa and Heldra were taught how to wrap a cloth around their mouths to prevent clouds appearing when they breathed out, and we all ventured out, exploring the territory. Pairs were assigned and areas of exploration were given to each.

We all returned to the little canyon just before the daylight faded and we gathered there huddling together, except for the assigned sentries, until it was fully dark, giving our reports. Once the darkness had fallen and there was no chance of any smoke being seen, nor smelled thanks to the wind direction, we lit a fire and cooked a hot meal which was more than welcome. Again we stacked shields and spare cloaks around in such a way as to prevent flickering firelight from giving our positon away.

The reports told us that first we would have to keep in the tree, well bush really, line until we were effectively behind the fort. From there, there was a relatively steep slope that led down to the fort and the vegetation had been cleared for a minimum of eight dozen strides in every direction.

The Princess then decided upon a plan of action for the morrow, explained it, and we again slept when we could, fitting in our periods of rest around sentry duties. Again the branch base for the bedding was a lot warmer than sleeping on the ground itself.

~o~O~o~

Tai Chi and a cold breakfast saw the start of the next day below lowering clouds still threatening to unload their snow stores. As a precaution, we laid trail markers to the nearest point of approach to the target. We gently eased some obstacles out of the way to prevent any noisy stumbling about. That morning we lay there and observed the enemy’s activities. On this side of the fort, there were only two lookouts that we could see, and they were obviously bored. There was a small sally-port in the middle of the wall this side, but the gates were clearly blocked by years of detritus strewn around. A wicket gate offset in the left hand gate still functioned though, as we saw someone open it, and emerge to throw away a bucket of kitchen waste.

The guards on this side of the building were changed every two bells it seemed but were very lax. So we had hopes of approaching unobserved.

The plan that the Princess drew up involved half our number stealing silently to the base of the walls in the moments before dawn, then the women pleading some excuse to get the door opened. We would then rush the door, and the remaining troops would run down the slope to add an extra shock weight to the attack. It was unlikely the defenders would expect a second wave.

So again we overnighted in the little canyon, keyed up ready for a battle in the morning.

Except it didn’t work out like that at all.

At around midnight, it snowed.

Heavily.

This reduced the visibility enormously, which meant that we would be able to approach far better, but we would leave tracks. If the snow held, then that wouldn’t matter for the tracks would be soon filled in, but if it suddenly stopped we would be exposed most cruelly.

However, the Princess took a very short time to come up with an alternative plan. When she explained it, we all grinned in delight. She selected the two largest men and then two middle-sized ones and then the two smaller women. We all grabbed our equipment and made our way to the launch point. Then her plan sprang into action.

The two teams of three wrapped themselves loosely in several furs and then noisily descended the slope towards the fort, announcing to the defenders their very obvious presence – except each team was disguised as a six-legged beast, grunting and making other beastly noises. In this way they approached the walls of the fort and caused a general alarm among the defenders, who could see very little of the noisy animals in the bad visibility. The loose furs draped over the teams should defeat any crossbow bolts that might be fired and it was unlikely they could use those gun things in the falling snow.

The idea was to churn up the snow near the fort walls so that any further tracks would be unnoticeable. If they sent a party out to capture these ‘beasts’, which was highly unlikely given the suddenness of the event and the hour of the night, then the beasts would simply scamper away and split into individuals wrapped in white and grey furs and thus very hard to be seen, who could either kill the pursuers or evade them. The kitchen waste pile would have to be kicked over and ransacked, as part of the plan.

After a few moments of causing havoc amongst the defenders, then the ‘beasts’ would retire up the slope, the noises gradually fading as they distanced themselves. Hopefully, the defenders would believe that the ‘beasts’ had been drawn to them by the smells of the kitchen waste.

Then, a bell before dawn, the three women and one man would run down the slope to the wicket gate, the women screaming and panicking about being attacked by strange enormous beasts. The man of one of the women had been injured and needed a healer as soon as possible. Once entry had been gained, and a foothold established after these four had dealt with their greeters and jammed the door, on signal the others would descend to join the fight.

And that was exactly as it happened.

I found myself inside the fort, in a fairly long corridor and watching in amazement as Danisa and Heldra used their unarmed combat skills to disable no fewer then eight of the defenders within the first half-moment after we were admitted. They ran forward jumping, twisting and tumbling, ducking wild sword slashes and the like and kicking out, breaking knees, and crushing one man's throat.

Then it was my turn to attack with my weaponry as the Princess behind us jammed the door open and gave the signal for the others to join the attack.

By the time they arrived, which Heldra told me afterwards was far, far quicker than she had anticipated, we four had dealt with a dozen of the enemy, and had established a solid foothold in this level of the fort. The newer arrivals then did the unenviable task of checking the doors behind us that led off the corridor. We advanced ones were now in what was obviously a dining hall, and a defender ran out of it into another room. Heldra and I gave chase as we could see he was not armed with one of those gun things.

He had run into the kitchen it transpired and we started after him when we heard a loud metallic crash and a faint grunt, followed by the unmistakable sound of a body hitting the floor and a dropped sword. We swung round a corner and saw a ferocious woman kicking the prostrate figure. We could hear her curse him for denting her pan.

She waved us away, saying “You go and kill the bastards. I shall block off the other doors into here. This one I have been wanting to hit for weeks now, the bastard. He won’t be raping anyone else. Go. Do your job. I’ll just cut his throat to make sure and then I shall gladly help you out there.”

Heldra and I looked at each other in amazement, nodded once and turned on our heels. I opened the door slowly to get a glimpse of what was happening and saw one of the defenders loading a gun in the corridor just to the left of our door. I could not let that happen, so I let out a battle cry and sank my throwing axe into his arm. The Princess saw what I had done, and threw her short spear into the gunner's mate's neck. Then she whirled, snatched up a jug of water and made sure she poured it into the mouth of the gun.

Heldra had meanwhile gone on to the next corridor and found Danisa – soon the two formidable fighters were dealing with some more defenders who had no answer to their moves and throws.

I was about to go and lend them my assistance, when I felt the kitchen door behind me swing open.

It was my turn to whirl, and then relax. I saw it was the kitchen woman, armed with both a heavy pan and also a wicked butcher’s knife dripping blood, as she emerged with grim determination etched into her face. I called the Princess over to talk to her as I went off to help where I could.

Soon afterwards the Princess called out loudly. «There are three dozen and seven of them. So far I count we have dealt with a dozen and a half. Keep count.»

«Plus one in the kitchen.»

«Two more here.»

«One here.»

«Three …» there came a grunt of effort «… no four.»

«Keep going my heroes, we have half of them already.»

And so it went.

The gutty, bloody, sweaty, tiring exercise of clearing out established defenders in a building familiar to themselves but unfamiliar to us attackers continued on its costly way.

We had an ever increasing extra weapon with us though. Several more servants were discovered who could give us information as to rooms, stairs, corridors and doors. One of them showed a pair of our men the way to the main gate, when the Princess charged them with not letting any of the enemy escape to raise the alarm. Our helpers even suggested how many men might be found where.

Confusion, sweat, noise, reactions, heart thumping and ragged breaths were our companions for the next bell as we winkled out the stubborn defenders.

«Why don’t they surrender?»

«The crimes they have committed here probably mean they will die anyway. So they will take as many with them as they can.»

A loud explosion silenced everyone for a while, then came Eirik’s voice: «Add five to the count. He missed us and got three of his own, who were creeping up behind us. He and his mate didn’t last long after firing the gun. Good thing they have recessed doorways here.»

At long, long last the hard work came to an end, and all forty three defenders were dumped unceremoniously over the back wall. We didn't care if wild animals and avians feasted upon them and the few natives kept in the fort made plain their attitudes in hoping that the wild life did.

The Princess took competent charge. «Well done boys and girls, we have achieved our task. I thank you all. Meanwhile, I can see that each and every one of you has at the least a scratch, so get that kitchen woman to heat some water for you all to dress wounds. Her name, at least her nickname anyway, is Coco. Lars, set a watch roster. We must have as much notice as possible of anyone approaching up the road; now the snow is easing, we should have sufficient notice to be able to prepare a warming welcome for them.»

Two of us, Ragnar and Sten, were sent to keep the lookout as the rest of us started tidying up ourselves and the interior of the fort; and setting defensive traps should we be assailed.

We found a hand of Forgulanders locked in a cell deep down. They had not been looked after very well and all had been tortured to a greater or lesser extent, to glean information. Their leader, Quadrant Subrish, needed no persuasion to share his information with us, once he had got over his shock at our leader being a woman.

They chatted for a hand or two of moments. Their conversation was intense. At one heartbeat, the Princess exclaimed loudly and then turned to us.

«Hey everyone! This is a remarkable coincidence. It seems that Quadrant Subrish here has a sister who lives in Lady Garia's town of Blackstone. Someone named Megrozen it appears. But he is telling me many ideas and suggestions as to how to continue and has made one very sensible suggestion. I will thrash out the details and tell you later.»

So we all kept busy, which was a good idea as the natural thing to do would be to collapse and switch off. The hard fighting might be over, but we were still in danger.

Her Highness called us all together just after night had fallen.

«Again I thank you all and thank our Gods that we have not lost anyone. As no-one has said anything, then I assume we have no serious injuries?»

We kept silent.

«Good. Right then, now the snow has stopped again, we can see down to the valley. It is scarce believable but our efforts appear to have gone totally unremarked. There are no scurryings about, nothing to indicate that we have been detected. We won't relax our watchfulness, mind you, but Quadrant Subrish has given me sufficient good information to make a plan.»

«However, first thing in the morning, we need to send someone to fetch the frayen, and the supplies we left behind there. I would prefer to just send two, but if you feel it necessary, I can allocate up to a maximum of four of you. You decide amongst yourselves and keep Lars here informed. He is the executive officer after all, so all rosters and so on must be run past him – and any changes to already decided rosters. Clear?»

We all nodded.

«Quadrant Subrish informs me that the day after tomorrow, the first of the month of Femurin, the supply column is due to arrive here. They have a complement of forty roughly here in the fort, and the supply column usually brings half that number for rotation, and half THAT number to guard the column. There used to be more but it seems that Yodan numbers have been reduced by that battle that Lady Garia was in, and also by some reverses they have suffered downriver in Joth.»

She paused.

«Those numbers are significant. From conversations overheard by the servants and the prisoners, it would appear that this littoral enclave occupied by the Yodans is home to some five hundred troops. Three hundred of them are held to defend the Ferenis end of the enclave, where they have set up a solid defensive wall and earthworks. The remaining two hundred are allocated to defending the entire occupied area, including this fort.

«Those two hundred are spread over the entire area behind their defences. Some fifty or so are assigned to wharf defence – spread over two marks of docks. We have taken out forty of those two hundred, and if we allow the supply column in tomorrow, we can surprise them and take out another thirty. And we can probably do it without alerting those below, just as we did when we took this fort. Clear so far?»

Again we could do nothing but nod our agreement. I think we could all see where this was leading.

«So we would have in the initial instance one hundred and thirty opponents, but most of those would be spread much further away. … I am aware that you are all aware that we have achieved the task that we were commissioned to do. To take this fort. And by definition that means we have to hold it until relieved. I have no right to order you to do any more, but I firmly believe we can severely damage the enemy, possibly even fatally, if we descend and take over their wharves, destroying or capturing their ships and their support for those ships. It is a gamble, I accept, and I cannot achieve it without you. So do we sit here and defend or do we go and attack them, possibly fatally to their war effort and earn even more glories?»

There was no choice, was there? Unanimously, we roared: «Attack!»

~o~O~o~

Danisa, Jerk and Vynil went off just before dawn to fetch the frayen. The rest of us, except for two lookouts, took turns to luxuriate by having a hot bath to start the day. It would have been too dangerous for us all to be unavailable in case of any attack, so we drew lots for our turn in the hot water.

As it happened, the day was without alarms. And we managed to erect some very nasty traps for any attackers. Very nasty indeed. And using mostly captured weapons.

The three returned with the frayen and Coco was pleased to have some extra supplies. Danisa particularly enjoyed the hot bath she had when she returned, and a general feeling of well being, despite our many cuts, scrapes and bruises, pervaded the atmosphere. Our determination was increased as we heard from the 'residents' of the fort of the arrogant, unthinking and indeed criminal treatment they had received from the Yodans.

The Princess and the Quadrant spent many bells staring down at the docks, using Her Highness' field telescope. They made copious notes, pointed out this and that, and discussed whatever they discussed almost fervently. They devised a plan for the morrow, to take the supply column as well as making plans for the dockside campaign. Lars was, of course, frequently involved in these discussions, he being the Princess' second in command.

We then had the debriefing of our attack and we learnt some things of use for the future, how to improve some activities. Danisa and Heldra didn't believe the claims of how our back-up forces arrived so quickly, so Ragnar went out and demonstrated using one of the big, curved shields as a sled. They were amazed (and delighted) when he descended the hundred or so strides in less than two breaths.

The day ended with a further briefing from Her Highness and we went to our comfortable berths in good cheer. Heldra and I celebrated our victory in an age-old fashion that caused some complaints from our neighbours.

~o~O~o~

Pre-dawn Tai Chi woke us all up and prepared us for the coming trials. We ran over the plans once again and some of us were required to practice a few things.

By the time that the lookouts reported the supply train starting out on the road that led only up to us, we were ready and more for them.

But we had to be patient, it would take them the best part of a bell, maybe even a little over a bell with the clumps of snow still unmelted. The lookouts reported though that Quadrant Subrish had accurately predicted their composition. Five mounted troops both before and in the trail, five wagons between these two extremes, each with a mounted soldier either side. So twenty mounted escorts, all with the old-fashioned saddles we had been told about. Some others on the wagons themselves. It looked like there were just over fifty troops in all. More than a dozen in excess of our previous estimates.

Our nerves tensed more and more as the waiting time seemed to stretch into weeks, and then we were able to actually hear the approaching column.

The portcullis started slowly to rise at the normally appropriate moment, and the column came on unheedingly.

Suddenly the portcullis stopped, only partially open. There were shouts and curses, and the column halted. The portcullis jerked a couple of times and then started upwards once more, with profuse shouted apologies and promises to work on it immediately.

The column relaxed and pressed on, the leading riders entering the inner courtyard as normal. Shouts told them that work was being done on the portcullis even as they spoke. Normal jokes were bandied about referencing how it was gone time to be relieved and so on.

Just as the last wagon was passing under it, suddenly a warning shout went up (just too late, of course) and the portcullis dropped, smashing into the rear of the last wagon and crushing two of the occupants. The five mounted troops still outside swiftly dismounted and rushed to try to help their colleagues.

Three had died before anyone realised that it was trap. The other two didn't have time to draw their swords before the crossbows cut them down.

The two men we had left outside, hidden behind snow piles and covered with the white mottled cloaks we all had, were swiftly whisked on rope hoists up to the top of the walls, leaving their targets dead and dying on the cobbles outside the gates. Then our full forces stood and shot down into the courtyard, taking out another dozen or so before anyone of them loosed a bolt at us in return. The doors round the courtyard then all slammed shut to block any retreats.

Except for two of them.

“Two of the doors are jammed. They'll escape into the castle!” I yelled with panic in my voice. This is one of the things I had been practicing ever since the plan was devised.

Sure enough, several of the enemy launched themselves into those two corridors before the two doors miraculously slammed shut behind them.

We all smiled as the plan worked - another ten or a dozen cut off from the rest. That left less than two dozen now standing in the courtyard.

We continued to pick them off from a distance, and they realised that they were hopelessly trapped in a killing field.

Suddenly, a loud bang came from the corridor under my feet.

There was a silence as our enemy were shocked into brief immobility.

Quadrant Subrish's voice then called down: “That was the file who went into that corridor. They obviously refused to surrender, so we fired one of your own guns in there. You can imagine the effect of that weapon in a locked corridor. They are now minced meat. You in the courtyard can surrender now, while you still have a chance!”

“Never, you scum! We shall conquer you all and rule over the entire valley. You are despi ….” His voice gurgled to a close as a crossbow bolt took him in the throat.

~o~O~o~

I do not glory in killing, but I cannot escape the fact that it is my job to do so. I must have faith in my leaders that I when I kill, I kill righteously.

It was therefore sickening in a way how we slaughtered them; but they would not surrender, until, that is, only two of them were left.

We then had to go into that dreadfully uncomfortable courtyard ourselves and sweep from one end to the other to be sure that we had all the enemy, and that none would be in a position to run off and raise the alarm.

Heldra was a little careless, being distracted at just the wrong moment by a shout from the other side of that blood-spattered courtyard. She contrived to allow one of those, who had said they surrender, to catch her. He had his arm around her neck and was reaching for her weapon.

“Let me out, you scum, or I'll kill this wom ...” He grunted as the wind was driven from his lungs by his body crashing into the cobbles.

Heldra just looked down into his astonished face and said: “I did not give you permission to touch me, SCUM!”

The other survivor just looked on in a mixture of wonder and worry at the way that Heldra had thrown his colleague.

...

In the end, we had seven survivors locked into the cells downstairs and forty-four more bodies were dumped out the back. The other bodies had been there for two days now, just about, and there was no sign that they had been touched by animals.

The clearing up had taken well over a bell, and despite the dead men, and the gut-wrenching experiences we had just suffered, we were all hungry; so we ate a lunch of sorts, and attended to nature, before the Princess called us all to her side for a few words.

«Well done you all. That's nigh on eight dozen of the enemy accounted for, at the cost of only a few scratches. But the job will get harder from now on. We must leave the fort to Subrish here and his few men, and the few servants that there are. The ten of you to be mounted should go and get your beasts ready when we have finished here.

«We alone, this small force have now removed half of the enemy estimated to be against us, and I expect we will remove at least a half of those remaining. As you know, we shall descend to the dock level just before it gets dark, leaving us a bell to spring our trap. We shall be loosely disguised as the returning Yodan wagon train. We must hope that they don't recognise the fact that we have better saddles than they, and shall have empty wagons. We shall create havoc before they know there is anything going on. But once they do realise, then we shall be sore pressed. Here is how I suggest we minimise that ….»

She went over the plans once more as we all sharpened our weapons. She demanded that we repeat our tasks so all knew we were as well prepared as was possible.

All too soon it was time for us to go down that hill.

~o~O~o~

Gylfi frowned, stirred, winced as flashes of pain and muscle strain shot through him, but he did not open his eyes again. There was something comfortable about just lying there and doing nothing. It was almost reassuring, in its way. Like drawing up a favourite blanket. Or spooning into Heldra's back.

He could remember mounting up, dressed in a captured Yodan flowing over-whatever whose owner had no further use for clothes, but try as he might he couldn't remember what happened next. He frowned again, or deeper, or something, as he realised that even the details of the slaughter in the courtyard seemed to be fading.

Something made him fix his mind on the gashes in his boot, and he smiled again, the frown disappearing like overnight snow in the sun on a Spring day.


up
213 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Doesn't Disappoint

Is this series your first posted writing effort? It's quite good. You've done a great job explaining the confusion of battle. I hope Gylfi is just worn out after an intense effort and not dying which it kind of sounds like he might be.

"I love it when a plan comes

"I love it when a plan comes together". Famous quote from Col Smith of The "A" Team. Right now, it seems that the Princess and her men are the "A" team of Palarand in fighting the enemy of Yod. Hoping it continues without any of them being killed. Janice Lynn.