Badasses Of the Multiverse: Book 1: Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version

Badasses Of the Multiverse: Book 1: The Martial Artist, The Space Cop, The Superhero, The Magical Girl, The Wrestler, And The Fool for Love.

Chapter Fourteen: “Knowledge...”

By Paul Cousins.

Copyright Disclaimer: All copyrighted places, characters, items, and events, within the story, are held by their current owners. No profit is being made on this work of fiction.

(_)

My Little Pony reality.

It has been two months since Guy had arrived in the reality she had found herself in. And it had been a very productive two months for her.

Inside the center a large, well lit, chamber room, Guy sat crosslegged, with her eyes closed. She was surrounded by several of these magical ponies.

Guy was meditating.

While Guy meditated, she thought, 'It is hard to believe, but these ponies have been pretty good teachers. Because of them, I am never making fun of ponies, again. Now, to put what they have taught me into action.'

Guy became to mentally concentrate.

Suddenly, she used her will power to physically change back into a boy.

Then, he used his will power to physically change back into a girl. Next, without saying the transformation phrase, as girl, she activated her Shezow costume. Afterward, she dropped the costume without saying the phrase to do so.

Guy thought, 'Now, let's add a twist.'

Guy turned back to a boy, and silently activated the Shezow costume as a boy. A moment later, he silently dropped the costume.

Guy opened his eyes, as he smiled.

Guy thought, 'Now, all I have to do is figure a way to find my friends, and get home.'

Guy then looked around him, at the ponies, as he thought, 'Though, first. I am going to thank these ponies for their help.'

(_)

Black Lagoon reality, Roanapur, Thailand.

It has been a few weeks since the Roanapur Bad Girls Bikini contest, and things had finally settled down to normal, for the city.

Presently, it was late evening, right after dark, at the Raven Unit's home.

The Raven Unit was relaxing in their living room, as they watched TV. Akira was currently a guy, in his usually male clothing.

Sawyer sitting on the floor against the couch, while Akira and Lotton were sitting in the chairs of the living room. She had on her electrolarynx choke, around her neck.

Shenhua was laying on her back, on the couch, with her head on some pillows, set against the left armrest of the couch. She had an ice pack laying on top of the underside of her left elbow.

Shenhua was not seriously injured, but she was still sore from an ordeal, earlier that day.

There was a knock at the door.

Shenhua said, “I will get it.” She got up, and set her ice pack on the couch. She then went to answer the door.

Akira looked over at Shenhua, as he watched her walk to the door. He thought, 'Shenhua only returned home, by taxi, a little while ago. And we don't know what happened to her, today. Though, something clearly did happen to her. And all she told us was that she was in a very serious fight. Though, at least, whatever did happen to her, did not seriously harm her.'

The other three occupants of the home heard the door open, and heard Shenhua asked, “What are you doing here?”

At three of them did not like what they heard, as they started to reach for holdout weapons they had hidden throughout the living room.

Shenhua suddenly walked back into the room. She looked at the others, as the three adults looked back at her. She ordered, “No weapons.”

The three other adults returned to their previous sitting places.

Suddenly she was follow by two chinese men dress in sharp, black suits, whom stood behind Shenhua.

They all recognized who the two men were with.

Akira thought, 'The Triad. What are they doing here unannounced? At this hour? If there was an official meeting, Shenhua would have been the one to deliver the message.'

Lotton stood up, as he greeted them. He calmly stated, “It is an honor to have you here. But, what is the meaning of this? We have tried to be as accommodating with Chang as possible. If Chang has a problem, surely it can wait until morning.”

One of the men flatly stated, in english, “We are not here about you.” The man then turned towards Akira, as he continued, “Chang wishes to talk to him. Right now.”

Akira gulped. He thought, 'Surprise, unscheduled meetings, with mafia leaders are never a good thing. But, I don't dare try to start a fight. I am not sure which way my friends will side. And I don't want to put Shenhua in an awkward position. So, it is not worth the trouble to resist.”

Akira said, “I will willingly go with you.” He then stood up from the chair he was sitting in.

As Akira was about to turn to leave, Sawyer said, “Be careful.”

Akira turned to her, as he commented, “Don't worry, Frederica. You are going to see me tomorrow. One way, or the other.”

Sawyer responded, “If is is the other way. I will make sure you have a proper funeral and burial.”

Akira smiled at Sawyer, as he replied, “Thank you.”

Sawyer returned Akira's smile.

Lotton stated, “Call us. If you need a lift home.”

Akira said, “I will.”

Akira then followed the two chinese men outside, with Shenhua closing the door behind them.

Soon after, Akira was in the back seat, of a black four door car, as the to chinese men, in the front scene.

Akira thought, 'They know I am not going to trying anything. Besides, I would like to meet, Chang. It is just that I would prefer to meet him on my turns.

The chinese man in the driver's seat then used a key to start the ignition, and a few seconds later, they were on the road, as Akira was driving to the skyscraper in Roanapur, which served as the main base of operations, for Chang's Triad, in the city.

(_)

Around half an hour later, Akira was inside one of the tallest buildings in the city. He was riding the elevator to the top floor, with the two men that Chang sent to bring him there. One of the two men told Akira, they were meeting Chang, in his office, on the penthouse level.

At the moment, Akira was visibly nervous, as he thought, 'I wonder what this is all about? Still, at least they were gentle, when we first got to the elevator, and the frisked me for weapons. Which I did not have on me, right now.'

A few seconds later, the elevator doors opened, as Akira continued his thoughts, 'Well, it looks like am about to find out.'

The two chinese men then lead Akira to Chang's office.

As Akira approached the doors to Chang's office, he saw that the doors were open, with Chang looked over at them, while he sat at a couch in his office. Chang was in his usual black suit and coat. With his sunglasses over his eyes.

As the two chinese men, and Akira entered the office, itself, the two chinese men stopped, and Akira stopped behind them. The two chinese men then move to stand by the wall, to Akira's right side.

Meanwhile, Chang stood up to greet them, as he said, in english, “Ah. And here is the man of the hour.”

Chang then turned towards his men, as he ordered, “Leave us. And close the doors behind us.”

The men did as they were instructed. And as they exited the room, they gently closed the doors to the office behind them.

As the doors came to a completely close, Chang pointed at the couch, with his right hand, while looking at Akira. He requested, in a happy tone of voice, “Come sit down, Akira. We have much to discuss.” He then dropped his right hand to his side.

Akira thought, 'Well, at least he is clearly happy. That is a good sign. All I need to do is keep him happy. And I also need to remember he is likely armed, and even with my training, he can likely kick my ass, in hand to hand combat. Beside, I am unarmed. And there is no point in fighting. If I can talk my way out of this mess.'

Akira walked over to the couch, and he sat down.

Akira then watched as Chang walked over to the office doors, and he manually locked the doors to the room.

Akira thought, 'This is not good.'

Akira then saw that as Chang walked up to Akira, he picked up a covered plate from a nearby table.

As Chang came to a stop in front of Akira, he asked, “So, how is Shenhua doing?”

Akira honestly answered, “Except for a few bruises, she is fine. She didn't give us any details. But, she did mention that she was in one hell of a fight earlier.”

Chang could not hide his smile from Akira, as the older asian man said, “Yes. It is good to hear that Shenhua will be fine. That was one hell of a fight. I was present, when it happened. I cannot go into the details, right now. Maybe later. But, I can say that we had some interesting company come visit, a little while ago. Though, not as interesting as you, my dear boy.”

While in front of Akira, Chang held the plate from the bottom with his left hand, while he removed the lid of the plate with his right hand.

Chang inquired, “So, are you hungry, Akira?”

Akira looked at the plate, fork, along with some nattou.

Akira looked up at Chang, whom was still smiling at him. Akira questioned, “How did you?... I mean. No thank you.”

Chang just chuckled, as he recovered on the plate, with the lid. He then placed the plate back on the table. After which, he turned back to face Akira.

Akira inquired, “I guess Shenhua told you about me? And what nattou will do to me?”

Chang answered, “Yes. But, only after I figured out your little gender secret on my own. All she did was confirm my guess. After I first confirmed it with another source. So, you can still trust her with your secret. And her statement was the final piece to the puzzle that is you.”

Akira thought, 'So, someone did tell him. It likely wasn't Lotton, Sawyer, nor the Lagoon company. There are a few others that know about me. Though, I am sure it was not Balalaika. It is not her style. And if she was involved, she would be here, with Chang talking to me. Which, fortunately, she is not. Still, I will find out about the leak, in a few moments.'

Chang said, “Now, I have something to show you, Akira. You are not the only one fully of surprises.”

Chang walked over to his desk, and he picked up a remote from his desk. He then turned to the wall with bookshelves on it, as he press a button on the remote.

Akira watched as the wall with bookshelves opened up into a hidden room. The lights in the hidden room turned on to bathe the room with bright white light, from the ceiling lights in it.

Chang looked at the room, as he said, “Everyone has their vices. And not all of them are illegal. Please, step inside.”

Akira got up from the couch, as he walked into the room. Chang followed several feet behind Akira.

As Akira walked into the hidden room, he saw the walls of the room were line with shelves, from the floor to the ceiling, from all three three walls in the room, with books, mangas, comics, various types of games and game systems, video discs, video tapes, and music.

Akira recognized many of them. Most that he could identify were of the sci-fi and fantasy genres.

Akira thought, 'Chang has good taste in fiction. I guess in some ways both of our realities overlap, in that we have some of the same fictional series. Such as the Star Wars moves. I checked.'

'Though, some of them should not have been published yet. Probably, this is due to a skew with the time space continuum between our two realities. I wonder if the series are exactly the same. Or, if there are variations between plot and dialogue, due to the different realities of this one and my home realities? Too bad I do not have time to check, right now.'

Chang came to stand by Akira, to Akira's left side, as he held his remote in his left hand. He stated. “I put my collection by category, then title. And I know a number of languages. I just don't advertise that fact.” He then used his right hand to point at a part of the manga section, to the wall to their right. He continued, “Still, you might be interested in starting with the manga section. Specifically, the mangas series I am pointed out. I suggest you start at volume six, with reading the series.”

Chang dropped his right hand to his side, as he watched Akira walk over, and squat down, with his knees, by the mangas he had pointed at.

Akira looked at the books. The numbers on the volumes went up to sixteen. He pulled out the sixth volume, and he looked that cover.

The title on the cover was, 'Gacha Gacha.' And what Akira saw on the cover shocked him to his core. He saw a drawn, colored picture, of his former girlfriend Yurika, and Akira, in his female form, when they were teenagers, hugging each other, in the center of the cover. With his female from on the left side and Yurika on the right side. Though, in the picture, his female form had brown hair, instead of blond hair.

Akira then quickly opened the manga, swiftly paged through the first several pages.

As Akira read the japanese text of the manga, he thought, 'Oh... My... God... I have officially entered a new level of weirdness in my life.'

Akira was reading about his past actions, in manga form. He paged all the way to the middle of the first chapter. Where he first changed into a girl. Then, he paged further to where he realized he could become friends with his love interest, as a girl, to help his romantic chances as a guy, with her.

Akira quickly closed the manga, put he manga back where it went and pulled out another volume. He paged through it, as he quickly recalled what happened in that one too. He then looked at an even later volume.

While this went on, Chang remained silent, as he watched Akira look at his collection.

As Akira was put up the volume he had in his hands. While making sure to keep the room neat, so as to not offend Chang. He suddenly remembered, as he thought, 'Rico had said, Gacha Gacha, the day I first visited the Church of Violence. He also said world as myth.'

'What a minute, that is the old theory on that all realities are another realities' fiction... Oh hell. He knew who I was. He also figured out this reality and mine are fictional realities. He must have ran, leaving this town, when he realized this. Intelligent man. Still, I better not mention Rico to Chang'

Just then, his eyes caught another series.

It was both a manga and anime series that was stacked together.

On it was the name, in english, Ranma.

He pulled out the first manga volume and opened it.

The book was about Ranma Saotome's life as a teenager.

Over the next fifteen minutes, he looked over several more series.

Chang continued to just silently stand, as he watched Akira delve deeper into the truth of the situation.

Akira saw a series about Futaba.

Akira even saw a several manga and anime series about Birdy Cephon, and Tsutomu Senkawa.

And Akira found a manga and anime, titled, Kampfer, which was about Natsuru.

Though, Akira could find any series about Guy, nor Shezow.

Akira thought, 'Maybe it is too new here. Or, it has not even been created here, yet.'

Akira looked up at Chang, as he asked, “Is there a series about Ken Masters and Ryu?”

Change pointed to another section of his private library, as he answered, “Yes. Over there. Though, it is more a game series, with a few manga, anime, and movies. The title is Street Fighter.”

Akira stood up, and walked to the section he was pointed too. He looked at the Street Fighter comics. And he opened one, reading about Ken and Ryu for a few minutes.

Akira then put the comic back in its place. And he made sure all the other books he had pulled out were back in their place.

Akira thought, 'All these separate series. Yet, they seem to all exist in my home reality. And life for us characters clearly continued long after our respective series has ended. This is mind blowing.'

Akira turned to look at Chang, whom was looking back at him. Akira quietly said, “I guess a door can swing both ways.”

Chang responded, “Yes. That appears to be the case. So, tell me, what is the title of this little world we are currently live in?”

Akira no longer cared about hiding his secrets. Chang clearly knew enough to put the pieces together.

Akira answered, “The title is, Black Lagoon. It is about Lagoon Company. It is both a manga and anime series. This is a dark series that blends almost every cool action movie ever made into one series.”

Chang responded, “Interesting. So, it is an anime and manga. Still, are we in the anime? Or, the manga?”

Akira said, “Barring a few minor differences. Both series ran parallel with each other. Though, some the events that happen, did so in a different order. But, your question is still easy to answer. Because the last storyline had two different endings. Depending on if it was the anime, or manga. The question is, how seriously injured was Roberta, at the end of her jungle run.”

Chang cracked a grin, as he joked, “Let's just say the maid can now take notes from the black knight of Monty Python.”

Akira thought, 'It figures he would joke about this.' He said, “That means we are in the anime timeline.”

Chang casually inquired, “Okay. So, you said that that was the last storyline?”

Akira responded, “Yes. And I came after your series concluded. I don't know any more about the future, than you do.”

Chang smile became a little wider, as he stated, in a slightly joyous tone of voice, “Good. That means the future is wide open for all of us.”

Akira commented, “That is one way to look at it.”

Chang said, “Considering how western my series clearly is. Were english translations made? And if so, was is better than the japanese track?”

Akira said, “Yes. Both the manga and anime were translated into english. And to be honest, I found the english U.S. dub to better than the japanese audio track. Which is poetic, given almost everyone I have met here speaks English.”

Chang questioned, “Yes. I guess it is poetic. So, whose voice do I have?”

Akira answered, “Your own. All of you have voices that are different than any of the language tracks I have heard. Which is off putting, but I am not going to complain. Anyway, all your voices still fit you. So, that is fine.”

Chang commented, “Okay. And thank you, Akira. You have already been very helpful. Your information explains a lot.”

Akira stated, “No offense. But, your hobbies do explain how you have been able to survive, at such a high action level, in a clearly female dominated series.”

Chang responded, “Yes. And no offensive taken. I learned a long time ago. When I was a cop in Hong Kong. How women can be just as dangerous as men. Maybe I will tell you that story, some time.”

Akira replied, “Perhaps. I would look forward to it.”

Chang went onto say, “Yes. And given my hobbies, I have a certain level of genre savviness, that it has kept me alive for a long time. This genre savviness has also allowed me, over the years, to see some of the injokes, and connections, in my reality. Names. Actions. Etcetera.”

“Though, when the maid first showed up. It clenched my belief that I was living in a fictional world. The maid was a blatant cross with the terminator, El Maraichi, Ash Williams, and Mary Poppins. It was just too much to ignore. And I don't want to know where the twisted inspirations came from for Hansel and Gretel. I still have nightmares from the information I learned on those two. And this is the only city on Earth where the number of female badasses outnumber the male badasses. And there are a lot of badasses in this city.”

Akira commented, “So, that is the reason you used that Star Wars injoke, may the force be with you, as a password for Lagoon Company. When you hired them for the PIF mission.”

Chang lips curled into a wicked grin, as he stated, “Absolutely. I figured I might as well play to the audience. And it was a logical guess, after the incidence with the maid, that Lagoon Company were the main cast. I wanted to appear as cool as possible to the audience. Doing so ups the chances of my survival in a series like this. Especially, in this town.”

Chang then began to chuckled, as he continued, “I even knew things before I knew things.”

Akira thought, 'I wonder what he means? Though, that is a question, I dare not ask.' He replied, “Well, your plan worked.”

Chang continued to grin, as he responded, “Yes. It did. Anyway, I know a number of things about this world. For example, I know that Balalaika sometimes personally edits porn that some of Hotel Moscow's businesses sells. But, there is was just one important question that I don't know. My contact in the U.S. government. My contact both disrespected me and threatened me. And I will not allow that to stand. Yet, I don't even know what gender my contact is. Though, I suspect you know.”

Akira looked away from Chang, as rubbed his chin right hand.

Chang could tell that Akira was thinking about his request.

Akira thought, 'Now, this is a bind. Chang knows I have the answers. Though, I also realize what crossing his contact might mean for me. I might as well be honest. Chang is one of the sanest people in this city. Still, Chang is here, while the contact's allies are mostly on the other side of the planet. So, let's lay this out on the table, and see what he has to think on the matter.'

Akira dropped his right hand to his side, as he looked back at Chang.

Akira stated, “Yes, I do. And while it scares me to think of crossing the U.S. Government, in any reality. On the other hand, they are mostly on the other side of the world, while you are here. So, I ask only two things in return. First, it will not be known that I was the one to tell you. The other is, I want to know who originally told you about me?”

“You said you had someone else confirm you suspicions, before you asked Shenhua. As you said she confirmed your questions, but she didn't originally confirm your information. She is too professional not to let me know on this matter, beforehand. And Lotton and Sawyer have no reason to do so.”

Chang smiled, as he responded, “No problem. It was Eda from the Church of Violence that sold you out. Which cost me a little bit more than usual. Considering she is still little bit miffed at the score we gave her at the bikini contest.”

“She and Revy sometimes drink together, and play poker. And Revy told Eda. And later you personally showed her. After the bikini contest, I used some back channels to learn more about the mysterious blond harbor girl, and Eda was the first person to called me back.”

Akira commented, in a wicked tone of voice, “Eda... Well, how ironic, since that bitch is your contact.”

Chang chuckled. He then stated, “That is ironic. By the way, congratulation on winning that bikini contest.”

Akira sarcastically replied, “Thanks. And I didn't even want to enter in the first place.”

Chang let out a laugh. He then stated, “That is what Shenhua told me, after she confirmed your abilities. Anyway, back to Eda. This does create some problems. She is too well connected in this town to quietly have killed. Plus, she is Revy's drinking partner. Still, it is nice to have this information for future use. Yet, it does worry me that the U.S. government has been the ones supplying much of the arms to this city.”

Akira commented, “Yea. You have a mini cold war going on here. All the various major powers of the world vying for control of the southeast Asian drug trade. I would not be surprised if you and the other heads are not secret representatives of the governments of your homelands. The Black Lagoon series hinted at that possibility, but the series did not confirm it.”

Chang responded, “My, you are an intelligent one to come up with such a theory. Still, I have a small request of you. Could you change for me?”

Akira replied, “Sure.” Akira then sneezed, causing himself to change into a woman.

Akira let Chang look at her body and face for a minute. Which Chang silently did so.

Akira then sneezed again to change back to a guy.

Chang stated, “Thank you, Akira. You have opened my eyes to a far greater existence than I could have imagined. You have confirmed all that I believed true. And given me a great desire to live, than I have felt in years.”

Akira said, “You're welcome.”

Chang commented, “I will let you be, for now. I am sure you will find you own path back home. And before you ask. I do not plan on going with you. I will find my own path into the multiverse.”

Akira warned, “Just a word of caution. It is not all that it is cracked up to be.”

Chang commented, “Wise words. Even so. I will still figure a way out, for myself. I will find my own path. And now, you are more than happy to leave my office.”

Akira smiled, as he praised Chang, “Well, Mister Chang. You have been everything I expected you to be and more. Good luck in your effort.”

Chang replied, “Thank you.”

Akira said, “Once again. You're welcome.”

Chang turned and walked out of the hidden room, with Akira following behind. Akira then stopped in the middle of the office room, while Chang walked to his desk.

When Chang reached his desk, he used his right hand to push two buttons on the phone on his desk. One to set to speaker phone. The other to contact one of his subordinates. He the stated into the speaker phone, “This is Chang. Akira is allowed to leave the building. Please, call a taxi for him.”

Chang turned to look at Akira, to see the younger man smiling at him.

Chang said, “Have a good night, Akira. And tell Shenhua, I hope she gets well.”

Akira replied, “I will. And I hope you sleep well tonight, yourself.”

Chang started chuckling, as he responded, “Oh. I will. I will be dreaming of impossibilities, that are now within my reach. And what I will seek first, when I find a way to travel to those the places I only once dream of.”

Akira then turned around, walked to the office doors. He unlocked and opened the door to his right. After which, he walked into the hallway, as he gently closing the door, he used, behind him.

As Chang watched Akira, leave, he thought, 'There goes one of the most interesting people I have ever met. Now, the question is, how to I start my next great adventure? While, keeping it a secret from everyone else in this town?'

(_)

At that moment, inside the Yellowflag, Rock sat alone, on a stool at the bar counter. He had an open bottle of rum in front of his, which the shot glass he was pouring the rum into, being only half full, from his drink.

For Rock had a rather unpleasant evening, and he had come to the Yellowflag to unwind. He had already has a full glass, and a half, of rum, and he still had no yet relax.

From the corner of his eye, Rock could tell that someone had calmly sat down side him, in a stool, to his right side.

Rock didn't bother to turn his head to face the person.

The person said, “Let me guess. Fight with your girlfriend?”

Rock could tell from the person's voice that it was a woman.

Though, this was further confirmed for Rock as he saw from the corner of his eye that the woman had large breasts under her white blouse.

Though, her long dark hair hid her face from Rock.

Rock responded, “Good guess. I love her. But, sometimes she can be very difficult to be with.”

The woman pointed out, “That is true with all relationships. All you can do is work through it.”

Rock dispassionately said, “I just don't want to deal with her, right now.”

The woman gently responded, “Yes. It is natural to want to back off after a fight. But, that is not always the best of course of action. You don't know how long you will have each other. How much times you got to be with her. You never know when it will end. You need to go to her, and enjoy the time you have together.”

Rock admitted, “You're right.”

Bao then walked over from behind the bar, as he barked at the woman, “Are you going to order something?!”

Then, Bao looked at her face, and her eyes, as she looked back at him.

Bao went as white as a sheet.

The woman immediately began to stand up. She turned to her right, away from Rock, as she got out of her seat. Always making sure her back faced to Rock.

Rock looked behind him, as he asked her, “Wait. I didn't get your name. Who are you?”

As the woman walked out of the bar, all he saw was her long dark hair running down passed her shoulder blades, along her white blouse, dark pants and black flat sole dress slippers.

The woman waved her fair skin colored right hand at Rock, without turning around to face him.

She sadly said, “Don't worry. We will be seeing each other around someday. Sooner than both of us would wish.”

She then walked out the front door of the bar, and disappeared from Rock's view.

Rock turned, and he noticed the state that Bao was in.

Rock inquired, “Bao, who is she?”

Bao carefully answered, “You won't believe me if I told you. I am not even sure that I believe me. But, I think she has given you some good advice.”

Rock smiled, as he said, “I agree.”

Rock then paid for his drink, and left, to patch up his relationship with Revy.

(_)

At the same time, across town, at the home of the Lagoon Company crew, Revy was brooding in her bedroom. Janet was asleep in the bedroom she shared with Benny, on their large bed in the room. While Dutch and Benny were in the living room.

Benny was sitting in a chair reading an electronics magazine, next to a coffee table.

To Benny's right side, Dutch was laying on the couch reading a more risque magazine about women.

Without looked up from his magazine, Benny asked, “So, Dutch. We have known each other for a while now. I was wondering, have you ever thought about finding a wife and having some kids? You know, settling down?”

Dutch put down his magazine, as he looked over at Benny. He answered, “Actually, I have. But, I have found that I have horrible luck when it comes women. And I like the job I have.”

Benny looked up at his magazine, and towards Dutch, as he surmised, “So, is that how you met Revy?”

Dutch looked over to check to see, down a hallway, that Revy's bedroom door was shut before he answered. He turned back to Benny, as he stated, “Yep. I thought I was getting one thing, and I got another. At the time I met her, I thought she was just eye candy that I was going to get lucky with. Instead, she turned out to be a skilled killer, looking for a job. I wound up hiring her as crew, but I wisely kept our relationship purely platonic.”

Benny complimented, “Smart man.”

Dutch responded, “Thank you. Anyway, you need a woman for children. It is just the way things are. Trying to adopt with our line of work would just raise too many questions, and create too many problems. So, how are you and Janet doing? Should I be expecting any surprises in the near future, from you two?”

Benny said, “No. Our relationship is not ready for children. But, it is stable, and she is a good catch.”

Dutch commented, “No arguments there, Benny boy. No arguments there.”

Both men then went back to reading their magazines.

(_)

G Gundam reality.

It was the middle of a partly cloudy day, in Eastern Europe. It had been three months since the start of the Gundam Tournament, and Birdy and Tsutomu's current battle, in their gundam, the Cephon Special, was not going well for them

They were fighting a new Gundam, made for their tournament. And they had very little information on the gundam fighter piloting the gundam. And they found this new fighter was tough and did not let up at on them.

Still, they knew that the new fighter represented Neo-Brazil.

Tsutomu and Birdy learned about the fighter, right before the fight. When a teenage, brazilian girl, had challenged them, in her gundam.

After Birdy and Tsutomu, confirmed that she was serious, and a gundam fighter. They accepted this match. With the girl saying she was more than happy to take the fight out of the city they were in.

When Birdy and Tsutomu piloted their gundam, out of town, to the agreed upon meeting place, for their fight. They saw the teenage girl's gundam. They saw the girl's gundam was as feminine looking as the Cephon Special.

As they started the fight, they found the girl was a handful to deal with.

The teenage girl seemed be everywhere at once, as she displayed excellent skill at the dancing martial arts of capoeira.

Her extreme agility and speed caught them off guard, as the girl quit taking the offensive.

It was then that the girl got a lucky throw that forced, over her gundam's right shoulder, and into the air. With the Cephon Special land, hundreds of meters away, on its back.

Inside their cockpit, the landing caused Birdy and Tsutomu caused them to hit their head against a pylon in the cockpit. The blow knocked out Birdy, but not Tsutomu.

Inside the cockpit of the Cephon Special, Tsutomu mentally screamed, 'Birdy! Wake up!'

Tsutomu could see the other gundam approaching, as she realized, with worry, 'Why does Birdy have to be such a heavy sleeper? I am going to have to fight her alone.'

Tsutomu immediately got her gundam to its feet, as she watched the other gundam approach her own gundam.

Tsutomu had her gundam take a defensive stance, while she thought, 'I can do this. I can do this... The main problem we had was she took us by surprise. But, now that I think about, I realize she has a balance weakness. She is still using gravity in her movements. I just got to time this just right.'

Tsutomu watched as the girl made her gundam do a cartwheel towards her. When the gundam reached the apex of the cartwheel, with both its hands, it vaulted up, at an angle towards Tsumotu, with both feet aimed at the Cephon Special.

Tsutomu was ready for this, as she made her gundam sidestep the attack, as she turned to face the other gundam, while punching the other gundam in the gut.

This forced the other gundam to the gundam badly land on the ground. Though, the gundam quickly recover, as it jumped away from the Cephon Special.

Tsutomu saw that the other gundam was using its right arm to hold its stomach.

Tsutomu thought, 'With the feedback of the mobile trace system, I guess probably knocked the wind out of her. Good. Now, not to let up.'

Tsutomu had the Cephon Special rush at the other gundam, as she attacked her opponent.

The other fighter saw this Tsutomu rush at her, and she attack Tsutomu with more conventional manner of punches and kicks.

Though, when Tsutomu came within reach of her, Tsutomu was able block the attacks, while matching the teenage girl, blow for blow, and responding in kind.

As Tsutomu fought, she mentally wondered, 'How am I doing this? These are Birdy's skills, from her memories, and I am using them like second nature... The mental fusion.'

Slowly, the fight became more and more one sided, with Tsutomu on the winning side, until finally the girl radioed, in japanese, “I yield!”

Tsutomu immediately stopped attack, as she had the Cephon Special back away from the other gundam.

Though her cockpit radio, Tsutomu responded, in Birdy's voice, in japanese, “Thank you. You fought well. Maybe we will do fight, again. Sometime.”

The girl said, “Perhaps another time. I will confirm, to the officials, when you report that you won this match.” She then turned her gundam away from the Cephon Special, as she walk away, and towards the town both of them had come from.

Just then, Birdy finally awoke. She mentally yawned. She then realized they were suppose to be in a fight. But, they were no longer fighting. She mentally asked, “Tsutomu. What is going on?”

Tsutomu soberly thought, 'I won. And the mental fusion is worse than we thought. At this rate, I don't think we have even six months left until our mental voices begin to merge into one voice.'

Both of them made their arms hug their chest, as Birdy mentally replied, 'Then, we will just have to make the most of it, while being there for Violin.'

Tsutomu mentally responded, 'No matter what. I promise I will always be there for Violin.'

Birdy agreed, 'Me too, love. Me too.'

The two of them then turned their gundam around, and followed the other gundam, back into town. To drop their gundam off at the warehouse that their support team were located at. And then they would head to the hotel they were assigned to, to be with their young daughter, Violin.

(_)

Black Lagoon reality.

It was the evening after Akira met Chang, just after sunset, Revy had called Akira, so, she could take Akira to the Yellowflag, in the Lagoon company's red car.

Revy stated, that the reason she wanted to take Akira to the Yellowflag, was that she wanted a designated driver, and she wanted to talk to someone that was relatively sane, and go with her to the Yellowflag. Still, Revy also requested that Akira come in her female form, with her cowgirl outfit and weapons.

To Revy's delight, Akira agreed to those terms, and soon after, Revy picked Akira up in Lagoon Company's car. Akira noticed that Revy had on her pistols, though she did not say anything about it.

Revy then drove the two of them to the Yellowflag.

Ten minutes later, they head reached the Yellowflag. After Revy parked the car, they got out, and entered the Yellowflag.

Revy then quickly picked out the empty back right table, in the room, for them to sit down at.

As they made their way through the bar, Akira overheard two men talking, at a nearby table.

The first man inquired, “Did you hear? Some cut down the noose hanging from the bridge going out of town.”

The second man asked, “What idiot would do that? And why?”

Akira just shrugged her shoulders, and she continued towards the corner table, with Revy.

When Revy and Akira reached the table, they sat down, in chairs, beside each other. With Akira to Revy's left side. With both of them in chairs that faced the rest of the bar room.

Bao soon came back, with both of them ordering a bottle of rum. Soon after, Bao brought a bottle of rum, and to shot glasses. And both of them began drinking, while Revy pulled out a cigarette, lit with her light, and she starting smoking her cigarette.

As the hours went by, Akira sipped her drink, with her remained sober. While, Revy slowly got drunk. Revy had already emptied a couple of bottled of rum, with Bao bringing more rum, to keep Revy happy. Also, Revy had also stopped smoking for the night, because as she go more drunk, smoking became more of a chore for her.

But, unlike a few other times Akira has seen Revy drunk, where she became violent, this time Revy was becoming increasingly melancholy.

For the most part, they just talked about trivial topics, but eventually Revy got to what was eating at her.

Revy said, with her speech a bit slurred from being drunk, “Last night, me and Rock fought about something. He left, and when he came back a little while later, he was more confident than ever in our relationship. I had never seen Rock that way before. He bent over backwards to make up for our fight, and patch things up between us. Though, the way he did so threw me for a loop.”

“Sure, we have slept together a number of times. And I like him. But, the way he way last night, it was like he was serious, serious. Like pop the question serious. Like marriage and kids serious. And I just don't know if I am ready for that.”

Akira looked over at Revy, as she thought, with concern, 'While, I am happy that it seems that Rock is willing to take the next step. It is clear that Revy is not ready.'

'Also, Revy must be desperate to come to me about this. Though, it is not like she has a lot of options. Janet and her are not exactly best friends. And there is no one else, she can have girl talk with, that she can trust, when drunk. So, I will do what I can to help her. Still, I need to be honest.'

Akira said, “Revy, I don't know how to tell you this. But, I am the last person in existence you would want to come for advice on relationships.”

Revy stated, “Ah. But, you play on both sides of the field. And you're still honest. You will tell me what I need to hear. And if I don't like it, we trained you well enough that you should survive my reprisal. Now, tell me what I need to hear.”

Akira carefully chose her words, as she said, “First, I need to know where you coming from. What is causing all this angst. You are a mystery, Revy. All I know is that your first name if Rebecca, you are from New York City, and something bad happened there to set you on this course in life.”

Akira thought, 'Well, I know some more. But, what I listed, is what Revy has already told me, herself.'

Revy nodded once, as she responded, “Yea, I am. Fair enough. I will tell you. When I was a young teenager, my father did horrible things to me. One day he really hurt me, with a bottle, and he then through me out of our home. Hours later, a cop did some worse things to me. When I was tossed out of jail, I got a gun, and ammo, from some people.'

“Then, I then practiced with that gun. When I felt I was good enough, I killed a number of people that hurt me. Soon after, the cops arrested me, and sent me to prison. There, I found out some interest things about my sexuality. Then, I escaped, killed a lot more people, eventually met Dutch, and learned some more skills from Chang.”

Akira took all this in, as she thought, 'Yea. I remember watching those scenes about your past. Especially, the scenes at the end of Roberta's Blood Trail about your past. I truly wish I knew a way to help you with that. Still, I can help you in other ways.'

Akira stated, “It sounds like you are at a crossroads. You can either live in the past. Or, you can live in the present, and work towards the future.”

Revy replied, “No kidding.”

Akira said, “You don't have to decide right now. But, there will come a day when you will have to make this decision. Though honestly, I think you should let go of your past, and be with Rock. He clearly loves you. And that man would more heaven and earth for you. Not many people, of either gender, would do that for someone else.”

Revy slurred her speech further, as she said, “You know. You're right. I'll go back to Rock. I am not sure I am ready right now, but we are young, and we still have time.”

“Anyway, you are still such a good guy... gal... whatever, Akira. And now that I think about it, we really shouldn't have done we did to you that night at the Rowan's Jackpot. It was just that three of us had such differing ideas on how to get you laid, and doing that was our compromise.”

“And I know we shouldn't have made fun of you. Nor, teased you about having your first period. That was wrong. That is a very personal event for anyone to go through. That was just wrong.”

“So, you forgot to lower the toilet seat, with Chinglish falling in. That was no excuse for forcing you to go through all that. Hell, I did that to myself, once. One night at home, I was alone, and I got really drunk. So, drunk that I thought it was a good idea for me to try to take a leak, like a man. I went to the toilet, lifted the seat, and things got messy after that.”

“The next morning, when I needed to go, I forgot I left the seat up the previous night, and I fell in. And the worst part of it, the guys were gone for the night, and they made it back in the morning, just in time to hear me make the splash, with my resulting scream of surprise. They didn't let me live it down for weeks, afterward.”

Akira replied, “That could have happened to anyone.”

Revy commented, “Yea. It could have. And you know what? Someday I will make this all up to you. Me and Rock will take you somewhere. Maybe a beach. And let you know what it feels like to have someone truly make love to you.”

Akira responded, “Thanks, Revy.”

Revy said, “Don't mention it.” She then lead down on the table, as she passed out. Collapsed.

Akira looked over at Revy, as she lightly shook her left shoulder. She inquired, “Revy?”

The only response Akira got was Revy's slow breathing.

Akira thought, 'She has completely passed out, while drunk. She is no shape to drive. Meaning I am going to have to get her out of here. I cannot take her back to her home. Having Rock meeting her like this could be disastrous towards their relationship. I will just have to take her home with me.'

'And I will make sure she sleeps on her stomach, on the living room couch. Like what Lotton, Shenhua, and Sawyer, did for me, the first night I came to this town.'

Akira then got up, and paid Bao for the drinks. Next, she went back and felt around Revy's pockets, to find her keys.

Afterward, she found Revy's keys, she dragged Revy out of the Yellowflag, by putting her arms under Revy's shoulders, and walking backwards through the bar, to the exit. When they reached Revy's car, outside, Akira used Revy's keys to unlock the doors. And she then put Revy in the front passenger side, and buckled her up.

Akira then, drove her back to the home that she shared with the other members of Raven Unit.

When Akira got home, after opening the front door, and found Shenhua, Sawyer, and Lotton, sitting around the living room. Akira told them what had Revy was to drunk to take home. And Revy needed to crash at their place.

Shenhua, Sawyer, and Lotton did not argue with Akira, about the situation. They even helped get Revy into the house.

Akira then pulled out Revy's pistols, from her shoulder holsters, before Lotton and Sawyer placed Revy, face down, on the couch. And Akira placed Revy guns and car keys on top of the TV in the living room.

After which, Akira put a bucket by the couch, next Revy's face, just in case Revy needed to vomit, later that night.

Finally, Akira went to her bedroom, changed her clothes, shifted back into a guy, and he got some sleep, on his bed.

The others in the home, soon retired for the night, as well.

When Akira woke up the next morning, and he found that Revy and her car were gone.

As soon Revy gone, Akira thought, 'Whatever Revy decides to do. I wish her good luck in her efforts.'

To Be Continued.

(_)

Author's Notes:

On Akira's female form's hair color. The Gacha Gacha title and back covers varied in the hair colors they showed Akira's female form in. From brown, to reddish-brown, brownish-blond, to blond.

I just choose blond, because some of the other characters in Gacha Gacha had brown hair. And with Akira's female facial features, and body as a woman, blond goes best for his/her female motif.

Besides, the Gacha Gacha Secret manga, itself, is black and white.

Along with Akira's female form having blond hair, being part of the motif of the other hair colors, his/her gender bending group have, in their female form.

That hair color motifs will be explained in a later chapter.

Not to say I have a preference for blond woman. I really don't. Just having Akira turn into a blond babe works for this story, on several levels.

(_)

Now, when it comes to Akira's gender bending secret. Most of the people in Roanapur that have learned the truth about Akira's abilities, know to keep their mouths shut. Save for Eda. Whom has been shown to have her greed get the better of her judgment, on a few occasions. The worst being the Greenback Jane are.

Eda was the one that intentionally stirred up the whole freakshow circus, by selling the information on the location of the hotel that she tricked Janet into going too. Eda did all this to put Janet in a bind, for Eda to get more money out of Janet. With Eda forgetting to check if they had an exit, which, with the Lagoon gone at that time, they didn't. And Eda nearly go, Janet, Rock, Revy, and herself, killed for her greed.

It is rash, and unwise actions like that, which makes one realize why Eda's superiors assigned her to Roanapur in the first place.

As such, Eda is a very capable woman, but she also lets her greed blind her, on occasion.

Still, on that matter. Balalaika and Chang are the type of people that no one tells them what to do. All Akira can do is pray they keep his secret.

On Revy's past. From the hints Revy drops about her past in the Black Lagoon series, the above outline in the scene of her past I wrote was the best way I could figure on how the pieces of her timeline fit together.

(_)

On Rock's meeting at the Yellowflag. That scene will make a lot of sense, until much later in this story.

(_)

On Chang's collection. I know that many of the anime and manga series listed in his collection came out after the turn of the millennium, with Black Lagoon series set in the 1990's. But, there are some things you may not be aware of about the Black Lagoon series.

The Black Lagoon series is suppose to be set in the 1990's, but a lot of the technology, such as computers and some of the tech the Gray Foxes use more on par the technology we have in the real world after the turn of the millennium.

There is also a piece of technology that Chang has in his personal possession that is shown in the Black Lagoon anime. More on that in a minute.

So, I figured if the technology was more advanced, how about make it so some of the anime and manga series I listed, along with other fictional series and movies, be already created and released earlier in the Black Lagoon reality than our reality.

And though I touched in this story, on the theory those series might differ slightly in content to the same series in our reality, for simplicity in this story, they are the same content at the series in our reality.

Now, Chang himself. After some thought, given his personality, some evidence, and the way he acts, I think that he has been playing to the audience. I think he is aware that he is in a fiction series.

Everything he does is played to the hilt. When he is in the thick of the action, he makes sure to do the most badass, awesome things possible for those situations. Such as dual wielding pistols, while kicking grenades back to his attackers, in the middle a gunfight. Or, rolling over a car, and avoiding gunfire, while right afterward, he talks nicely to the girl that shot at him. All while doing so, he appears as cool as he could possibility be.

There are three key pieces of evidence.

The first piece can be summed up in two word. The Maid. Or, The Bloodhound.

In both the anime and manga, Roberta was introduced in the series before Chang was.

No one argues that Chang is genre savvy. Chang is so savvy he knows to play peacemaker, without actually creating true peace in Roanapur.

Chang knows that he has to maintain the peace in the city, or else there will be a turf war. And with Balalaika and Hotel Moscow involved, there is a real chance of them starting World War III.

But if Chang created true peace in the city, he knows that Balalaika would eventually go crazy from boredom and start a war just for the hell it.

So, Chang has to keep things interesting, while preventing open violence, if he wants the good times to control to roll in his Gangsters Paradise.

Now, when Roberta first showed up, the Lagoon Company all but outright stated that the Terminator movies, as movies, existed in their world. It is a save

Also, Revy in episode two of the anime, outright reference the movie, The Wild Bunch, by name.

It is a safe bet that more fiction in our reality is fiction in their reality. And given the general level of genre savvy from most of the characters in Black Lagoon, they have all seen a lot of that fiction.

Even Balalaika, a former Soviet soldier, gets most of the pop-culture jokes. You don't see that often.

But, Chang would be top dog in town pop-culture, given his level of genre savviness.

This comes to the second piece of evidence. The password and other pop-culture references.

In episode eleven, Chang's password was, may the force be with you. That outright showed he has seen the Star Wars movies.

And the fact the other characters, including Lagoon Company, and the villain that kidnap Rock, shows those movies are just a popular in that reality, as in our reality.

Also, the fact Chang would use that line as a password means that on top of action movies, he has tastes in both fantasy and sci-fi movies. Only an otaku would use a password like that, because if Chang was not already seriously feared and respected, he would have lost all respect from those around him.

With that password, he was playing to the audience.

Chang's genre savviness is further proven in episode fourteen, when Chang compared the vampire twins to stunt dogs in the movies, without him going into detail. Not many people would get that reference.

Now, Roberta was just to blatant a combination of the terminator, Mary Poppins, and a few other fictional characters, for Chang not to be aware that he was a work of fiction after hearing about her.

Right after Roberta left, the first time. With Chang being informed later that day, about the whole incident. Was likely the moment Chang figured out he was living in a fictional reality.

All the other signs were there. Chang lived in a city of adventure. Loaded with badasses of almost every action movie archetype ever dream of. And with his genre savvy, he know every type of badass there is.

Chang might have even figured out who he was based on. He was a former corrupt cop from Hong Kong turned badass mob boss. This is a classic archetype of Hong Kong crime movies.

With Chang realizing that he was living in a fictional reality, in a badass city of action, was probably the happiest revelation of his life. He was almost always shown to be so outwardly cheerful. He was just living up every minute, as an ascended fanboy, living the dream.

But, like any knowledgeable forth wall observer, he knew that if he wished to continue breathing, he had to play to the audience watching them all. So, he took his badass mob boss act, which he was already doing a good job of, up a few notches

Still, Chang made mistakes. He was still learning the rules to being in a fiction reality and knowing it. Such as in episode eleven, Chang was not expecting to be attacked in the Lagoon's apartment. He was not carrying any guns own him. He had to gets a couple of pistols from his men, for his shootout.

Next time he is shown in a fight, he is armed with those two cool semi-automatic pistols, with the dragon images engraved into the hilts.

So, when Chang learns, at the beginning of the Blood Trial arc that Roberta is back in town. That the most badass character of his reality, the one to badass for even his city, is back, he knows a major plot arc of his series about to take place, as a category five badass storm that is about to hit Roanapur.

And where is he shown next, he meeting with Garcia.

But, why would Chang go meet with Garcia. He never met Garcia before in the series. Logically, he would not go to a teenage boy for help. Instead, from a logical standpoint, he would have going to the Lagoon Company directly, because they had experience in dealing with Roberta, and Chang trusts Lagoon Company. While, Garcia is a total stranger to him. A strange that Chang went out of his way to find when he found out Garcia was in town, likely looking for Roberta.

The only answer is that he knows he is in a fictional reality, and he realized, given the hell Roberta went through to rescue, that Garcia is the only person Roberta will listen to and be talk down, saving Roanapur in the process, while Chang can also find out why Roberta is back in town in the first place.

Chang knows that Garcia is Roberta's morality pet.

At the same time, Chang is meeting with Garcia, the Lagoon Company shows up to meet with Garcia, with the younger maid, Fabiola, in tow.

This is probably the moment Chang previous suspicions that the Lagoon Company are the main characters of the series they are in. The timing of them being there while he is there, is to much to be a consequence.

Chang then played the situation to the hilt. When Fabiola attacks him, he quickly disarms her, while leaving her unharmed, and the jokes about it, to ease the tension of the situation. He then subtly helps push Lagoon Company into dealing with Roberta.

Afterward, during the Blood Trial arc, except for two scenes, we only see Chang with the meeting of the families, and in his office. Both of these places are surrounded by army that is armed to the teeth.

Given the reality he literally is in, he knows that if he meets Roberta, during this time, even an accidental meeting, she will kill him, just to prove to the audience how cool and badass she is.

That exception is going to the Church of Violence, during the day, to talk with his contact in the U.S. government. Chang knows he needs to find out the real reason for this entire situation. There is finds out that his city and the Lovelace family are caught in the middle of political battle between two U.S. government agencies.

He also knows that he cannot stop this possible train wreck on his own. That he has to get the Gray Foxes out of town as quickly as possible, and that he is going to need help.

The next scene, out in the open with Chang, is Chang meeting with Balalaika.

Chang even played to the audience here, by talking about his and Balalaika's past.

And Balalaika has Hotel Moscow, a badass army, with the firepower and skills to scare the Gray Foxes into getting out of town, without killing them, or have them be killed by Roberta, while in the city.

Also, Chang figures that if Roberta shows up with Balalaika there, he has a fifty-fifty shot at surviving the fight, while Balalaika, and maybe Roberta, kill each other. This solving a lot of his problems.

And at the end of the fourth episode of Blood Trail arc, there is a scene where Chang is talking to one of his subordinates. Where is subordinate points out how Chang was real puppet master to almost all the players in Roanapur. Except Eda. Where Chang set up Rock into helping Garcia and Fabiola, into stopping Roberta, in the first place, at the Hotel Sankan Palace. Where Chang goaded Balalaika into, her and Hotel Moscow, doing his dirty work. Where Chang insult Rock's ego just enough to make him continue on his path. Where he ordered Dutch to take the job to transport the Gray Foxes out of Roanpaur.

Chang got the job, which was getting the Gray Foxes out of Roanapur, done without lifting a finger, nor using his organization. And instead Chang put at risk his rivals to do the job, simply by taking to them, with he just sat back and watched.

The only two things that that did not go according to Chang's plans was his, unknown to him, informant, Eda, threatening him, and Shenhua getting injured do to taking the freelance job for Revy and Garcia.

In the Blood Trail arc, Chang's enemies forget that though he likes to play the, only sane man, card a lot with them. He would be more than happy to arrange for them to kill each other, while he kept his own hands clean, and his organization in one piece.

Taking all this into account, Chang's quote at the beginning of episode eleven, which Chang says in a shoot out, while back to back with Revy, could be taken a number of different ways.

Chang's line was, “Don't get cocky Two-hands... No one can say you don't have the skills, but you fail to see the bigger picture.”

The anime english dub stated, “bigger picture.”

The anime english subtitle stated, “overall picture.”

Was Chang talking to Revy? The audience? Or both? While subtly referencing his own mistake of coming to the Lagoon Company apartment, while personally unarmed.

Also, during the Blood Trail arc, Chang gave two interesting comments.

The first statement was during meeting of the families, Chang points out that the only reason Roanapur continues to exist is that it is not in the public eye. Chang does pay attention to the press, and he keeps up with what the rest of the world knows about Roanapur.

Being watches is a common worry for a person that realizes they are a fictional character in a series. And given the adventure after adventure, that he is in a series, and not just in a single movie, or book.

The second statement being the villain speech to Rock, about how it is not his problem, could be taken another. It could be Chang indirectly telling the audience, “Screw you. I am not dying for your entertainment.”

This is because Chang knew if he got involved any further, he would likely be killed by either Roberta, Hotel Moscow, the Gray Foxes, or the Lagoon Company.

Given three of those four sides each involve one of the, as Dutch would put it, three most scariest women on Earth, and Chang would have been sticking his neck out in ground zero, you cannot really blame Chang for backing off.

Now, the third piece of evidence is a disc player in Chang's office.

In the anime timeline of Black Lagoon, which is the one I am using for this story, twenty three minutes and seven seconds in the first episode of the Blood Trail Arc, episode twenty-five, Collateral Massacre, the picture show a dice player, with the LED readout stating, “CD/DVD/BD”.

Note, there is a tabletop, vinyl record player to the right of the disc player. You can make the record player out at the edge of the screen. So, BD is not about the vinyl discs between the two pieces of equipment. So, that is not BD stands for.

I check that term. “CD/DVD/BD” on the internet, dealing with disc players. It is a consumer term for a CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray combo player.

Remember how the Black Lagoon series is suppose to be set in the 1990's.

Well, Chang has a Blu-Ray player in the freaking NINITIES!

For those that done remember, in our reality, DVD players hit the market in 1996, and Blu-Ray players hit the market in 2003. And near of the players at the beginning were cheap. They could run between five hundred to a thousand dollars when they first hit the market.

Also, Blu-Ray would still be a very new piece of equipment. With DVD being older. This is the reason I made Chang's collection as a DVD format, instead of Blu-Ray. Because it is very likely that in the Black Lagoon reality, Blu-Ray would be to new as a format for most of the series I listed in his collection to be released on.

Now, Chang having technology that new, and expensive, plus his obvious genre savviness shows that he is a otaku for fiction in general.

(_)

On a funny side note about technology in the Black lagoon anime, is the beginning of episode twenty-seven, part three of Roberta's Blood Trail, when Revy calls Shenhua, on the phone. With Sawyer and Lotton playing a video game, while Shenhua is picks up the phone.

The game system used the standard three plug RCA jacks, and the game system is on top. While Shenhua is talking on the phone, the game screen, on the TV, with movement is shown.

As an injoke, the game that Lotton and Sawyer are playing is a 16 bit console action game version of Black Lagoon. With 16 bit sprites, as well.

The background of the game was lifted from the anime itself, with the background showing the panning shot of the streets of Roanapur at night.

But, the sprites are the funniest part. The three enemy sprite that are shown to be killed, are sprite versions of Chang. While one of the player sprites is a sprite version of Shenhua, whom is jumping around with her long knives, with her hair and dress clearly seen on screen. While the real Shenhua is talking on the phone, with Revy, while she has her back turned to the game.

And if you look closely enough, you can see the other player sprite moving around is Roberta, with her two pistols, and long purple hair. And the Roberta sprite is wearing the casual clothing she did in her Blood Trail arc, instead of her maids outfit.

Given the personalities of Sawyer and Lotton. Sawyer using a chainsaw in combat, and Lotton liking to use two pistols at once. It does not take a genius to figure out that Sawyer is playing the Shenhua sprite, while Lotton is playing the Roberta sprite.

And when it comes to injokes, that is a nice touch by the production staff of the Black Lagoon series.

(_)

And on the matter of spoke language in Black Lagoon. Think about. After the Tokyo arc, it is clear that the Roanapur characters speak english.

In episode nine, the maid arc, Garcia has to translate the Lovelace creed, which Roberta spoke, from spanish to english, the Lagoon Company.

At the end of episode thirteen and the beginning of fifteen, Rock, on the phone with Balalaika, had to figure out and translate some romanian for Balalaika.

And if the characters mostly spoke in japanese, then Balalaika would not have had to take Rock to Tokyo as a japanese to english translator.

The Black Lagoon series is set in english.

On the issue of different voices for those in the Black Lagoon reality, compared to the audio tracks from the voice cast. I just wanted to throw that in there to show that even thought we have seen their series, they are still unique individuals in their own reality.

So yes. Chang is one of the most badass, dangerously genre savvy, villains in all of fiction. Chang is smart enough to be easy going most of the time, yet can clearly kick some serious ass when he wants to, and knows he is living in a fictional reality. And unlike Deadpool, Chang is sane enough to make use of that realization.

Pray Chang never figures out how to escape his reality, or the multiverse would be in real trouble.

(_)

As you read at the beginning of this chapter, I have not forgotten about Guy. Nor, Futaba. It is just I don't care to write fluffy scenes. And not much has happened to those two individuals, during the their stay in the realities they have found themselves in. Which, considering what has happened to others of their group, that might be a good thing.

Though, with it comes to Guy's cure to his/her gender lock. Having magical ponies solve Guy's shapeshifting problems, has its own twisted logic to it. Especially, given the abilities of those ponies.

Also, I was subtly going with the heroic will power angle, being how Guy can now change genders at will. And as shown, Guy does not have to use the Shezow costume, to change back and forth, between genders.

And now, Guy has more control over his/her gender changing abilities than most gender benders in fiction.

Until next time. Have fun.

up
54 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos