Secondhand Life - Part 19

Printer-friendly version

By the time we got back to the hotel it was pretty late. I had an email from Mikey asking me to wake him up and tell him how the pirate stunt went. I decided to let him sleep, knowing there would probably be some third party coverage by morning, with that many tech folks in one room, my speech was probably already on You Tube.

I asked Dennis whether he thought it was too late to call Doctor Dale. He seemed to think the call could wait until morning.

So I had all sleepless night to toss and turn and wonder what Doctor Dale wanted to discuss.

***

I never would have guessed what he wanted.

He told me that Katherine requested a favor. It seems there was a bay area charity that she was very involved with, and she wanted me to stand in for her at some fundraising thing they were doing.

I told Dale that it would be my pleasure, but I did ask what the charity was and what Katherine wanted me to do. He explained that it was pretty much what Dez and the studio had me doing... just showing up and being the public face of Katherine. Though Doctor Dale grinned at me and said a charity event was probably not the best place for zany stunts. I returned his smile and told him that I certainly understood that, and he could count on me to be genial but well behaved. He just patted me on the knee and said “I know. You'll do Katherine proud. You're a good girl.”

This time I didn't flinch or blush at all. I could tell Doctor Dale noticed, but said nothing.

There was a black-tie fundraiser that evening, but during the afternoon, Dale took me around to see 'Katherine's charity'. And it turns out it was Katherine's charity. She supplied the seed money to start the shelter for homeless teens. They worked closely with city and state social service resources to provide a safe place for at-risk teens... many of them runaways and the large majority LGBT kids who flocked to San Francisco seeking a new life and escape from whatever home environment they fled, only to find themselves broke and on the street in a strange city that wasn't quite the welcoming paradise they imagined.

Haven House was like a combination youth hostel and resource center offering counseling, skills training, GED workshops and substance abuse programs... pretty much all the things a teen could ever need from a supportive family... only the family at Keller House was supportive and non-judgemental, unlike many of the domestic situations that drove kids here.

Dale explained that he helped Katherine set it up with her first film paycheck. He had the connections and she had the bankroll, and pretty soon, K&D's as it came to be known was giving kids an alternative to living – and doing whatever was necessary to survive - on the streets. Katherine never forgot her good fortune, and was determined to channel it into something that would do the most good for the greatest number. This place was very important to her – and to Dale, and I was really happy I had a chance to do something to help them out.

I got the 'grand tour' and met the new counselors, getting 'reacquainted' with the veterans who had met Katherine before. I got to spend time with some of the kids, and the impression I came away with was how overwhelmed they were, how SF was not at all what they imagined, and how thankful they were to have found out about Haven House. How it was helping them get skills to make it on their own and to rebuild self esteem that had been eroded their entire life. I thought of my dad and his constant jabs and disapproval.... of uncle Kevin and my schoolmates, and how I made myself as small and closed-in as possible to minimize the abuse heaped on me. I got these kids. And I think Katherine did too.... if in her own way... and I wanted to do what I could to help this place help others to let go of the baggage from their past and to learn to respect themselves and ….thrive. I saw so much raw talent and passion.... kids who had never heard a word of encouragement in their lives, suddenly ….blossoming... with the respect and attention paid to them by the folks at Haven House.

I instantly understood why this was a passion of Katherine's. And it very quickly became not 'a favor for Katherine' but something I wanted to do myself.

“Oh my God. This place... these kids.... and the amazing staff. I am in awe of Katherine … and you” I gushed to Doctor Dale.

“Yes, Katherine's started something very special here. But I had nothing to do with it, short of hooking her up with the right people in the first place. This is all her.” He smiled.

“You're too modest. I noticed the staff kept referring to it as K&D's. Don't sell yourself short.” I chided.

“I'd love to take the credit, but I can't. It wasn't me.” he smiled.

“But K&D's.... Katherine and Dale's...”

Doctor Dale shook his head, Then it hit me. My hand flew to my mouth.

“Ohmigod! ….he never let on!”

“I'm not so sure he even knows. You met Katherine. She may never have told him.” Doctor Dale smiled.

Dennis would be so proud, and touched ….and embarrassed and self conscious and probably feel so undeserving ….even though he totally was.... I understood even more now how much he meant to Katherine.... and how it was SO not in her nature to tell him.... but to let the rest of the world know ….as long as he never found out. Once again, Katherine managed to surprise ...and impress... me.

“This place is so special...” I said. Doctor Dale just nodded. “And so needed” He nodded again.

“I knew you'd get it. You're very perceptive.” He smiled. “So you have no reservations about helping Katherine out at tonight's fundraiser?”

“After what you've shown me today, I'd gladly do it on my own, even if Katherine hadn't asked.”

“I know.” Doctor Dale nodded. “You're a good girl. You have a good heart. And an agile wit. I think both will serve you well tonight” he smiled.

I wasn't quite sure what he meant by that, but it was time to get back to the hotel and get ready for the black tie fundrasier that evening, so I didn't give his remarks much thought.

When we got back to the hotel, Dennis was ready with his 'primp team'.

While it didn't seem as overwhelming as that night before the premiere, I wasn't sure whether that was because this was just Dennis and Dale getting me ready for a charity thing, and not the studio calling out the army of sylists before the premier... or whether I was just becoming more accustomed to 'being Katherine' so I took all the stylists and dressers in stride.

Whatever the reason, I sailed through it with a minimum of fuss, and was declared 'scrumptious' by Dennis, after which I rejoined Doctor Dale for our limo to the fundraiser.

I did not realize until I was way down the rabbit hole, that the 'celebrity auction' fundraiser was actually auctioning celebrities... for whatever the highest bidder had in mind!

The meet market was a bit surreal. Schmoozing and flirting and exchanging banalities with all the movers and shakers in the 'celebrity charity' scene. Politicians and local events reporters and bigwigs in area businesses...banking, insurance, entertainment, sports and of course.... tech.

I found myself meeting some very familiar faces. If I had known I would be hitting them up for money a day later, maybe I would have behaved myself differently at that 'pirate conference'.

Still, no one seemed to mind, or to confuse the woman in the elegant black Dior with the raging pirate queen of the day before. I actually got a few compliments about my 'guerrilla performance stunt' at the conference. I shyly explained I just wanted to shake up the tired old ritual that got nothing accomplished. And my guests nodded that the incident made it near impossible to return to the innocuous old track. Most seemed quite familiar with the work of Haven House, and to the few who were new to the charity, their initial impressions seemed quite positive. I couldn't help but gush about everything I had seen earlier that afternoon, making it seem like a longtime project that still fired up my passions. I think I was a reasonably convincing Katherine, although I wonder if I got a bit too emotional talking about some of the individual kids I met. Maybe folks thought anything that could get Katherine Keller this ...emotional... and not in her usual angry/surly way... really was someplace special.

Dale and I worked the crowd until he pulled me aside and told me it was time for the celebrity auction.

“This is probably the wrong time to admit this, but I've never even been to an auction, let alone been part of one.”

“There's nothing to it my dear. Just join the others backstage and everything will be explained. It's not rocket science. Look around...”

I eyed all the shiny celebutantes at the fundraiser and decided, ok, there probably won't be a quiz, and the odds of folks sticking around for an after-fete MENSA meeting were minimal.

Still, I eyed Dale “I'll have to take your word for that. But I thought I saw Elon Musk across the room earlier.” Dale just crinkled his smiling eyes and took my elbow.

“Come on sweetheart. It's almost time.”

I didn't want to panic, but I found I was having a hard time keeping my nerves at bay. “But I don't know the first thing about being an auctioneer!” I frantically whispered.

“Auctioneer?” He chortled. “What made you think we would thrust you in front of a podium utterly unprepared? We have a professional from Bonhams & Butterfields volunteering. Why on earth did you think we were going to make you auctioneer? You're far more valuable as an auctionee.”

It wasn't very demure or ladylike, but I think I audibly gulped.

up
336 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Snork agree so much on that

Interesting to see who she winds up with :)

Not Elon though as he is married.

Adorable

Elsbeth's picture

She's adorable as always, love the story

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Erm, spelling mistake?

The meet market was a bit surreal.

Shouldn't be be 'meat' market? Hmmmm? ^_^

I Took A Second

littlerocksilver's picture

... glance at that as well; however, I think it was a written pun, one that couldn't be spoken. Actually, as it turns out, it was a meet market, and because of the celebrity auction, it is a meat market. I love the way this story keeps us off balance.

Portia

Never bid in one, as the bids

Never bid in one, as the bids were WAY OUT of my league; but I did watch one, and it was indeed not only a real auction, but lots of fun as well. The "services" provided from the auction I attended, could NOT be sexual in nature; nor could they be a way to physically harm another or financially harm them. I just hope Kathy is not outed at this auction or later because of it. That would ruin her and Katherine as well. Janice Lynn

A New Side to Katherine

Christina H's picture

You never cease to amaze me with the way this story goes - who is Katherine going to end up auctioned to???
and the real Katherine has feeling for someone with the initial 'D"

Keep up the great work.

Christina

Heh

Tas's picture

This ought to be interesting. There are so many ways this can go I'm not even going to bother trying to guess haha

-Tas

Mousetrapped

TheCropredyKid's picture

Someone will pay dearly for this.

 
 
 
x