Land of My Heart - Chapter 26

Printer-friendly version
Aussie cattle station.jpg
Land of My Heart

A novel by Bronwen Welsh

The sequel to 'A Foreign Country'


Chapter Twenty-six   The birthday dinner

I feel so ashamed of what I have written in my journal and I'm sorely tempted to rip out the pages, but I made up my mind when I started keeping it that I would write what I felt at the time, and make later amendments if necessary. Looking back now it reads as though I don't trust James and that's not true at all. It also reads as though I lack confidence in my ability to hold his love and interest in the face of the first pretty woman who comes along, and I don't think that either. Jealousy is a nasty emotion, and it's ridiculous for me to be feeling it now when there isn't the slightest reason for it.

I think one word started this off – when Anne Prior said I was 'formidable'. I thought it made me sound like an 'old battle-axe' instead of an attractive woman, which is what I like to think I still am. Not beautiful of course, but still attractive – well in James's eyes at least and that is all that matters. I may be the owner of a large cattle station where the men call me 'Boss' without the slightest hint of irony, but I believe I am still very feminine. Perhaps I am hypersensitive because of how I started out in life. Anyway, when I am with James, and especially when we are in bed together, he is 'the boss' and that's exactly the way I like it to be.

I don't think it is wrong to say that women are more complex creatures than men. We can be many things, strong and assertive but also soft and gentle, switching moods in an instant, and that's what makes our sex so much more interesting, especially to men. After all, they wouldn't really find us attractive if we were just like them but with a few different 'bits and bobs'.

I've come to the conclusion that the best thing to do is to make a friend of Anne Prior, and why shouldn't that happen? I'll even invite her to the Station the next time we have a barbecue. After all, many of the stockmen are single and some are young and quite handsome!

Now I am going to put that little episode behind me and move on, but if I am honest with myself I will have to admit that it will stay there at the back of my mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was the dinner party for James's birthday. We flew down to Charleville in the early afternoon and took a taxi to the house.

“I do miss the old Landrover,” said James. “I guess I'll have to look around for another car soon.”

We unpacked our things and proceeded to get ready for the evening. James was kind enough to give me first use of the bathroom.

“I can never understand why women take so long to get ready,” James smiled.

“That's because we enjoy it so much,” I replied.

It's true of course. We do enjoy it, but then there's so much to enjoy. After a long soak in the bath, I wrapped myself in a couple of big towels and went into the second bedroom where I had laid out my clothes for the evening. I had brought along a beautiful pale green silk gown and also a set of gorgeous French lingerie, together with sheer nylon stockings and five inch heels. James is fully recovered from his accident now, so I was determined that the evening would not be ending with dinner!

I did my hair and make-up and then dressed with care. If I might be allowed a touch of self-satisfaction, I was greatly pleased with the image I viewed in the full-length mirror.

By now James had had his shower and was in the main bedroom dressing in his dinner suit as this was a real 'frock up' event. When he appeared and saw me he attempted a 'wolf whistle' – exactly the sort of reaction a girl wants! He's not the greatest whistler (but he's great at everything else!).

We took a taxi to the hotel and were the first ones there, but Jean and Jim soon arrived and they were really dressed up for the occasion too, and we complimented them on their appearance. The four other guests arrived soon after. Emily works at the library and she arrived with her partner Charlotte. This being Australia they go by the names 'Em' and 'Chas'. I knew about them of course and James knows me well enough not to ask if I minded a same sex couple being invited. Who would I be to object! The other couple was Martin, also a librarian, and Monica his wife. They have two young children who were staying with their grandparents for the night.

“I love them to bits of course,” Monica confided, “ but having a night off to ourselves is a real treat.” Something told me their celebrations wouldn't end with dinner either!

I've met Em and Martin briefly on a previous occasion at the library, although not their partners of course, but we all got on famously. Em had us in stitches as she described how she and Chas had visited the Brontë parsonage at Haworth in England and written their full names in the visitors' book with the comment. “So nice to visit the family home again.” I wonder what the Brontë Society made of that? I've been to the Brontë Parsonage myself when John and I went to Britain. I remember walking down the hill past the old cemetery with its ancient leaning gravestones, to the church where all the Brontës save Anne lie in the crypt. The last to die was Patrick who outlived his wife and all their children. He must have had a very strong constitution to avoid the diseases, especially tuberculosis which claimed the rest..

Em and Chas also explained to us how they had met at a lesbian speed dating event and their names had made an instant connection. Their parents could never have anticipated that!

Monica migrated from England with her parents and met Martin in Brisbane. It was quite a wrench for her to travel out to the bush when Martin secured the job in Charleville, but now she says she would never want to live in a big city again. She has visited Sydney and Melbourne but said she was only too happy to get back to Charleville – “except for the shops of course.”

After we had finished our main courses, I had a discrete nod from the Maitre d' which I relayed to Jim who said “Well I think it's present-giving time.”

He and Jean gave James a very stylish new cowboy hat, his old one having disappeared at the time of the accident, and everyone needs a hat in our fierce summer heat.

Em and Chas, knowing how much James loves books, produced a small parcel which when opened revealed an 1822 edition of 'Robinson Crusoe' in two leather-bound volumes. It's not a first edition of course – that would be very expensive, but it's still very old and in great condition for its age.

Monica and Martin then produced their present – a bottle of Penfolds Bin 150 Marananga Shiraz. They apologised that their budget didn't stretch to Grange Hermitage but said that the store had assured them it was a good vintage and would only improve with another few years storage. James was very pleased with all their presents.

Now it was my turn. As they all looked expectantly at me I stood up and began as follows:

“Ladies and gentlemen, I do have a gift for James which I'm sorry to say is second-hand. There's also a problem in that I am unable to bring it to the table, so if you will follow me outside, all will be revealed.”

They all exchanged puzzled looks at my announcement, but nevertheless stood up and followed me out through the foyer to the front door of the hotel, and there, parked right in front was James's present.

“It's a Landrover!” he exclaimed, and then after a closer look at the number plate, “It's my Landrover!”

James turned to me with a questioning look as I broke into a smile.

“Well darling, like you I hated to think of the Landrover lying out there in the bush, especially knowing how much you loved it, so I had it brought back by the local panel beater and fixed up. With a bit of luck it's as good as new – maybe even better. Anyway, here are the keys, why don't you start her up?”

James was beaming as he took the keys, opened the door and swung himself into the driver's seat. As he looked at me there were tears in his eyes. He really loves that old car. He turned the key and the car started first time and seemed to positively purr. James sat there for a moment, then turned the motor off and got out.

Taking me in his arms he kissed me - ignoring the cheers of our party.

“Thank you so much darling,” he said. “Well, I'm certainly not going to have too much to drink tonight because I want to drive us home.”

With that we went back into the hotel for our desserts and also some dancing. As he held me close, James whispered in my ear “This is a truly wonderful evening. I love all my presents, but getting the Landrover back is something I never thought would happen. Thank you so much my darling, you're a woman in a million.”

It was a wonderful evening and one I'll never forget. About eleven o'clock we called it a night and made our farewells. James and I climbed into the Landrover. I hadn't had an opportunity to see it since it was rescued from the bush, but I was pleased to see what a wonderful job the garage had made of restoring it. It really did look almost like new.

James drove back to his house very cautiously. True to his word he had been careful not to drink too much, as we didn't want the evening to end with a ticket. Country towns tend to be fairly quiet at night and we saw very few other cars on our way back.

Once in the house we had a nightcap and then it was time for bed. Once I removed my gown, James expressed his pleasure at how I appeared in my French lingerie and of course I told him that I had one more present for him! I don't think there is really any need to go into details, but let me just say that we enjoyed a very pleasant time to conclude James's birthday!

To be continued

Image credit: Australian cattle station by Harris Walker reproduced under Creative Commons license with attribution.

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Bronwen,

It really takes a woman such as you to write with such warmth and feeling.I look forward to more of the story in the
wilds of the Aussie bush.

ALISON

Hi Bronwen,

Hi Bronwen,
Another wonderful chapter in an excellent story.
I am almost certain, tho it wasn't mentioned that James came to tears seeing his beloved Land Rover sitting there in front of him. Emily and Charlotte writing their comment in the Bronte home visitors book,would have been a real laugh to read. I really love Leslie's idea of how to deal with Anne Prior. If she can't find a man from all the ones who work the station, then she isn't really trying.
Janice Lynn

Only An Outback Girl

joannebarbarella's picture

Would have thought about restoring that LandRover. How he couldn't love Leslie after that beats comprehension.

What is not to like about her?

I love the characters in this story. It takes a woman with a warm heart to write such decentfolks so that you care about their life.