Honey Bunny: 9

Printer-friendly version
Sharing a cabin with Maria
Ally in her Bunny outfit
Sometimes it is more important to listen to your inner voice than those around you.


Honey Bunny

Chapter 9

by Louise Anne Smithson

Copyright © 2015 Louise Anne Smithson
All Rights Reserved.

 


 
Chapter 9 A New Contract

Our final show of the cruise seemed to go down well with the audience who showed their appreciation. Frank was among them and we were all quite hopeful when he came over to speak to us afterwards.

‘Things appear to have gone pretty well on the voyage, guys and gals, and I’ve been happy with the standard of your performances and the fact that you have continued to expand and adapt your repertoire to meet the needs of our clientele. I have a couple of conditions to make but if you agree to them we can think about offering you a contract to cover the next five voyages under the same terms as before’

‘What sort of conditions?’ asked James.

‘From next Saturday the cruises will be of nineteen days duration travelling from Southampton to Venice and return. However, most passengers will only be travelling one way, either starting from Southampton or else flying to Venice and coming back on the ship. In addition we’ll be taking on and dropping off passengers at Barcelona on the outward and return trips for those paying for shorter cruises. Only a few of the passengers will stay for the full nineteen days. As before, you’ll be expected to provide performances in the small music room on twelve evenings and eight afternoons during each voyage, but I’d also like you to contribute to a weekly show that I’ll be organising in the theatre on the nights we leave the main ports. The idea is to showcase the various entertainments on the ship.’

‘No problem,’ we all agreed.

‘You may go ashore for the day when we dock at Barcelona (both ways) and also at Venice, and you will have one full day and two half days ashore at Southampton whilst the ship is re-stocked. There may also be opportunities for a few hours off at the other ports if you are not required for other duties.’

We nodded our assent.

‘Guys, I shall be wanting you to provide backing for a couple of the foreign language singers, but you will receive overtime for any additional hours worked beyond the forty.’

They nodded their acceptance. Frank then turned to me.

‘There is also the matter of your continuing to live and be treated as Alexandra, whilst you’re on-board the ship.’

‘I guessed as much,’ I replied.

‘As far as I’m aware, there have been no problems so far in this respect.’

‘Things have gone well; in fact I’ve really enjoyed myself.’

‘Yes, I’d got that impression. So I take it you’re willing accept that condition, Ally?’

‘I won’t mind a few more maiden voyages if it means that we can all continue working together.’

He smiled.

‘Good! I assumed that you wouldn’t object, and so, as promised, you’ll find that the advance that I made to you before the voyage has now been put down to expenses.’

‘Thank you.’

He now turned to the musicians.

‘Guys, I note that you three look a lot smarter now than when I first saw you. I’m assuming that you will continue to do so. I’m looking for a boy band rather than a heavy metal group. The smarter you look the more likely I am to provide extra work for you. Is that agreed?’

The three seemed to be reasonably happy with that condition and murmured their thanks.

‘You will receive your pay in your bank accounts tomorrow morning and I’ll see you again on Saturday evening.’

‘Now, if you don’t mind leaving us, I’ve got a couple of matters to discuss with the girls.’

We waited for a while whilst the guys packed their instruments and left.

‘Alright ladies, I think you three have the makings of a great singing group so I want you to work on the dance side of your performance in the theatre and also enhance the glamour a bit.

‘The dance should be no problem as we have been feeling a little cramped on the small stage, but what exactly do you mean by ‘enhance the glamour?’ asked Beth’

‘You know the sort of thing, short skirts, high heels, posh hair and makeup. Maybe you could also show a little more cleavage, but without turning it into a topless show.’

‘We only formed the group with its present line up a couple of weeks ago and only have two stage costumes available,’ said Beth

‘I realise that what I’m asking will inevitably cost some money so I’m willing to pay for the cost of two more outfits for each of you from my entertainments budget. I’ll also arrange for someone from the salon to come and help with your hair and makeup for an hour before each evening show.’

‘Showing a little more cleavage may be difficult for Ally,’ suggested Carol.

‘Not necessarily, we can order some silicone breast forms for her.’

‘What do you think, Ally?’

‘I’d be willing to give them a try as long as I’m not expected to pay for them,’ I replied.

‘So when will we need to perform in the theatre?’ asked Beth

‘We won’t have enough time to organise anything for when we leave Southampton on the next voyage but I’m aiming to begin the night we leave Barcelona. We’ll then repeat the show after we leave Venice, then Barcelona on the return run and Southampton on the next voyage.'

‘What about our other shows in the small music room?’

‘They’ll continue as before. I’ve absolutely no issue with your afternoon shows, but I’m wondering whether we can also boost the glamour for your evening shows a little.’

‘In that case we’re certainly going to need some help getting ready. I’ve been sharing a cabin with a girl called Maria who works in the salon; she could help us with our hair styles and makeup,’ Beth said.

‘I’ll speak to her boss.’

What about the Bunny Hops?’ asked Carol.

‘You’re welcome to continue running the classes on the next voyage and I’ll pay you overtime for the hours that you work. If they continue to be a success I’ll look at making them a permanent feature of the entertainments programme.’

Beth now turned to look at Carol and myself, as if to ask what we should do. We both nodded our assent.

‘Alright, Frank, it’s a deal,’ she replied.

He smiled.

‘I'm glad to continue to work with you. Please come and see me in the morning and we’ll try and get you a couple more outfits from a costume supplier, and Ally a new pair of boobs to be delivered in time for the next voyage.

Frank was about to leave, but Beth saw her opportunity.

‘As Maria will be doing Ally’s hair and her makeup would there be any problem with her knowing the full story about her background?’

Frank turned towards me.

‘Can she be trusted to keep your secret?’ he asked.

‘Yes, I believe so, I’m her best friend on the ship,’ I replied.

‘Alright I’ll leave it to Ally to decide who can be told. However, I don’t want the story to become common knowledge among the crew. Above all, I don’t want it to be known by the passengers or to be reported in the newspapers. Is that clear?’

‘Yes, I’m sure we all understand that. I would rather be treated as just an ordinary girl rather than as a female impersonator,’ I replied.

‘Good. That goes for me as well.

~o~O~o~

Once Frank left we spent a few minutes congratulating one another. This was going to be a boost to the show business careers of the Bucks and the Bunnies. We were used to performing on small stages in front of drinkers and a few dancers. We were now being asked to develop routines for a full-sized stage, wearing glamorous outfits. After ten minutes or so the guys returned bringing a couple of bottles of champagne and suggesting that we should all meet up again in half an hour for a celebration in the staff canteen.

‘I’ll catch up with you two later, I want to go and talk to Maria first,’ I said to Carol and Beth.

‘So are you going to tell her now?’ asked Carol.

‘Yes, and we’ll see how she reacts.’

‘She’s in my cabin busy at her studies,’ Beth replied.

Five minutes later I knocked on the door.

‘Hi Maria, may I come in?

'Of course.'

'We’ve just been told that we will continue on board for the next five voyages,’ I said smiling. ‘I’ll be able to continue to help you with your English.’

‘That is good news,’ she replied but she still seemed a little subdued.

‘Maria, if you still wish to do so, I should be happy to share a cabin with you for the next voyage and indeed for the later voyages as well, but first there is something you have to know about me.’

As I spoke I could see the excitement begin to glow in her eyes.

‘What is that?’ she asked eagerly.

‘Before I tell you my secret, you must promise me not to tell anyone else on the ship or even at home.’

‘Yes, of course, I promise, now tell me what it is.'

‘Maria, I’m not sure how I’m going to explain this.’

¿Estás transexuales?’ she asked in a matter-of-fact way.

This response stunned me as I’d no idea that she had any suspicions about my sex.

‘No, Maria, I’m not a transsexual, but I am a man who is working as a female impersonator - imitador de mujeres,’ I replied.

‘But why do you dress as a girl all the time?’ she asked.

‘The managers do not want the staff, crew or passengers to know, but I’ve been given permission to tell you so that we can share a cabin.’

'Do you take hormonas femeninas?

‘No, nothing like that,’ I replied quickly. ‘I have a naturally high pitched voice and so Beth and Carol asked me to join them in their singing group when a third member left. I only intended to do it for one performance, but we were offered the opportunity for us to work on the ship but only on condition that I continued living as Ally.’

‘I have a friend from school who uses hormonas femeninas for a year ago, but you look more like a woman than she does.’

I tried not to think about the implications of what she was saying. However, Maria did not appear to be fazed or affronted by the news.

‘How did you know that I was not a woman?’ I asked.

‘You look and sound like a woman but there are one or two small things to give you away, but nothing which cannot be made better. Remember that I work as a hairdresser and beautician so I notice these things. Your hair does not look natural and so when you did not want to share a cabin with me I began to wonder about you.’

‘But would you object to sharing a cabin with a female impersonator?’

‘Of course not, I would be happy to share with you. I make you better.'

If you do, I'll have you speaking English like a native,’ I replied with a smile.

‘And I will have you looking like una mujer hermosa and not just un imitador de mujeres.

I was quite pleased with the idea of looking like a beautiful woman and not just a female impersonator.

‘I think that you may be asked to help us get ready for our shows, as a part of your duties.’ I said.

‘In that case I will make sure that you are always the most beautiful of the Honey Bunnies,’ she replied with a smile.

‘Please don’t do that or my cousin and my friends will want to get rid of me,’

‘I do not think so,’ she replied.

‘My colleagues are holding a small celebration in the staff canteen. Would you like to join us?’

‘Yes, I think I have studied enough for today.’

‘They all know my secret but please be careful what you say about me to anyone else on board.’

‘Of course: from now you are my girlfriend, Ally, just as before.’

~o~O~o~

By the time Maria and I arrived in the otherwise deserted canteen, the others had already had one celebratory drink and were about to begin a second one. The guys had by this time been informed about Frank’s plans to make our act more glamorous.

‘Ah, it is Ally and Maria,’ said James. ‘Quickly, someone, pour them both a drink. I should like to propose a toast to Alexandra, who once again, has saved the day for us.’

I blushed and tried to sit down but before I could do so, Carol and Beth were also on their feet, followed by Tom and then, finally, George.

‘To Ally,’ they all said.

The guys, Carol and Beth polished off a couple more bottles of wine before the end of the evening, but Maria and I only sipped our drinks. Everyone present now knew the full story of Ally and Alex, but I was still conscious of the need never to let down my guard.

~o~O~o~

The following morning the three Bunnies spent some time selecting our new outfits from the online catalogue of a theatrical costumier, taking into account Frank’s wishes for short skirts and high heels. At Frank’s suggestion we each ordered a black satin, ‘bunny girl’ type outfit with matching ears and long black gloves. It was the sort of outfit that might be worn to a Halloween party, but would look alright on stage. The second costume, this time chosen by ourselves was a sexy, sparkly, sleeveless, and body hugging short dress in bright pink, which might be good for clubbing. This dress came with high stiletto heeled shoes with a glittery platform matching the dress and peep toes. The two pairs of shoes were going to take a little getting used to but I’d coped alright with high heels before. I also selected a pair of stick on silicone breasts so that in future I would no longer have to pad my bras with tissue paper as I got dressed each morning. We gave our measurements and shoe sizes to Frank who was fairly confident that we would have at least one new outfit by the time the ship next sailed.

As we were doing all this The Fair Maid of Southampton, sailed past the Fawley Oil Refinery into Southampton Water and docked at the Ocean Cruise Terminal. We then had to help with the passenger disembarkation procedures and had the opportunity to see Alison and Kate and say goodbye to them and their parents. They were thrilled that we’d made the effort to see them before they left.

‘It has been such a good holiday, thank you all very much,’ said Alison.

‘Yes, it has been awesome,’ added Kate.

‘What part did you like best?’ Carol asked her. ‘Shopping in Barcelona or the Barbary Macaques in Gibraltar?’

‘No, the Bunny Hops, of course,’ she replied as if it were a stupid question.

Her mother gave a wry smile.

‘Thank you for making our daughter’s holiday so special. We’ve awarded the Honey Bunnies the maximum possible marks on the feedback sheets about the holiday. But there was no mention of the Bunny Hops on the form so I left a flattering comment at the end specifically saying that it was a good idea.’

‘The Bunny Hops were something of an afterthought – inspired by our meeting Alison and Kate, but thanks for the positive feedback,’ Beth replied.

~o~O~o~

Once the passengers had finished disembarking Beth and I carried out our switch of cabins so that in future I would be sharing with Maria. Apart from a brief trip in to Southampton to do some shopping, Maria was planning to remain on board for the next couple of days before the first full-length voyage so I downloaded a number of English exercises for her to learn whilst I was away and promised to go through them with her on my return. The rest of us were now anxious for a break although on this occasion we would be leaving most of our luggage behind and taking only enough for our two nights ashore.

‘Goodbye Maria, I’ll see you when we return on Saturday evening,’ I said as I was about to leave.

‘Can you come back to the ship any earlier on Saturday, Ally?’ she asked.

‘Why is that?’

‘I want to repay you for the help to me you have given. The salon will be closed to passengers on Saturday during embarkation and so it will be available for me to use. I could help you with your hair extensions.’

‘I’m not sure what my Aunt has planned for us over the next day or two. Can I phone you tomorrow night to tell you what time I will be back on Saturday?’

‘Yes, of course.

~o~O~o~

The six of us took a bus from the dockyard to Southampton Central and then a train into Portsmouth & Southsea station, where the guys made their way to their respective homes anxious to see their girlfriends or else to brag about their job to their other friends. However, there was an implicit agreement that nobody was going to mention my situation to those who didn’t already know, just in case it should get back to other members of the crew.

‘Remember, “What happens on the ship stays on the ship”,’ said Carol. ‘That applies to all our actions. Is that agreed?’

We all signified our agreement and the guys left us. The three Bunnies had to make our way to the bus stop for Waterlooville Precinct.

‘What are you two planning to do over the next two days?’ asked Beth.

‘One of my classmates in Havant has the day off tomorrow and is anxious to hear how we’ve been getting on. I’m looking forward to making her really jealous, as she is working in a shop’ said Carol with a smile. ‘Then on Saturday morning I’ll catch up with my emails and social media.’

‘How about you, Ally?’ Beth asked. ‘In fact, is it going to be Ally or Alex for the next couple of days,’ she asked me.

I’d been thinking about that during the journey back. I looked down at my polished acrylic nails which still looked good after three weeks, but would soon need infills. Did I really want to go to the trouble of removing my false nails and then putting them back again afterwards, just for the sake of one full day living as Alex?

‘I guess It’ll be easier for me stick to being Ally, although I won’t have many clothes to choose from as the bulk of my wardrobe is back at the ship.’

'Now why doesn't that surprise me?' said Carol with a smile.

~o~O~o~

 
Next time: Back at Waterlooville

Thanks to Angharad and to Bronwen for proofreading, and to everybody who has left a comment or awarded a kudo. Louise

up
380 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is getting to be a lot of fun

littlerocksilver's picture

Plus, you are teasing a lot of my hot buttons. I think the trip to the salon is going to be a major event. Darn, seven days until the next chapter.

Portia

lack of clothes?

Obvious solutions are RAID a wardrobe or GO SHOPPING!

Whose wardrobe will Ally raid?

Whatever the answer, I expect it to be FUN!

LOL

I'm not one to comment

This story is really fun and my son is also a singer on ships. He started on Celebrity lines and worked for them for several years. The only difference from your story was that he spent six months for each cruise. The group finally got tired of living on the ships 24/7 for months at a time, so they became guest entertainers. Guest entertainers make more money and are flown to the port of pickup, entertain one night and then are flown home when they dock. This usually lasts four or five days and they sing for several different cruise lines. He's a happy camper now and you can see them on youtube. The group is These Guys. Looking forward to the next chapter, Arecee

It Was A Celebrity Cruise

joannebarbarella's picture

That I took last year on the "Solstice". The standard of the accommodation and overall quality were excellent. Talking to many of the staff they were on the ship for several months at a time, but as most of them were Filipino/Filipina/Goanese/Thai they accepted it as part of life. For them it was a good living.

Our particular cruise was a South Pacific 21-day excursion from Sydney to Honolulu via New Zealand and French Polynesia, the ship then going on to Alaska, so the guest entertainers were generally on board for several days between the principal ports. There was no point in them leaving the ship at places like BoraBora and Moorea.

Thank you,Louise,

A really fun story ,as always, showing a boy finding herself !!

ALISON

As more and more "cruisers"

As more and more "cruisers" learn about the Bunnies and Bucks and also the Bunny Hops for the children; I can see that after each cruise there will be a lot of knowledge and information regarding the group being talked up to friends, co-workers, neighbors and the like about taking a cruise and see the Bunnies. Their new found fame can only go up right now, so Girls, grab the ring as it goes around and hold on tight as it will only get better and better. Janice Lynn

talking of hot buttons

Do I detect the opportunity for Ally and Maria to expand their reaitionship? or am I just being rude as usual, giggle

I Was Sort of Wondering...

…the same thing.

Seemed like a rather bizarre situation. If I read this right, in a matter of minutes Maria is invited to move in with Ally and is told by Ally that he's male -- not transsexual as she assumed but just playing a female role on the ship. Maria could certainly be excused for thinking that the Bunnies are trying to set the pair up for a secret romance, and if so, that Ally instigated it.

(Or maybe not. I've gotten embarrassed by theorizing on this sort of thing before over the years, and wouldn't have done so this time unless someone else brought it up.)

Eric

Shop Shop Shop!

Christina H's picture

What else does a girl do when she's no clothes!!! Money can be a problem but shopping is fun.
This story has everything and I love it will Maria and Ally become an item the permutations are
endless.

Christina

This story keeps getting

This story keeps getting better and better. I am so looking forward to reading the next installment, and hearing about their shopping trip!!

Thanks for entertaining us so well.

Looking up

Podracer's picture

For the band's future, anyway, but what happens when a personality becomes more prominent? The scavengers come and pick at the edges, hoping for something juicy to tear off. Ally and the girls and boys had better be ready with some tactics for that.
Maria seems a nice girl, with her head on straight. I just imagined her hearing that expression for the first time, hehe.

"Reach for the sun."

Last to know

Rhona McCloud's picture

Everyone, including Maria, seems pretty clear on how things are so maybe it won't be Ally's parents who are last to know but Ally herself.

Rhona McCloud

60's "you never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips"

Fist pump. This is working out great for the three girls. Who needs to flip burgers or bag groceries.
Is there a misunderstanding brewing between Maria and Ally ? If so, has Alex gone and Ally is there instead ?
This is like "All my Children" A++

Cefin