The Queen ~ 8 (Conclusion)

Printer-friendly version

Part Eight: Night Begins


The Queen ~ Part 8


I look at Kir and we both look back at the messenger.

Kir is obviously as baffled as I am, more probably, as he says, “Retreating? Wha…? But, all they got were a few dozen…”[/color]

“…Dwarves…” I finish his sentence. I look back to Kir and ask, “Do these Trolls that were created have any special properties? I am not really familiar with them…”

Kir looks thoughtful for a minute and says, “Not really… Like the other…Human…minions, their strengths lie in the night, but they can function in the light—just at a much reduced level. They are of Dwarven origin, so, they have many of the same strengths, only enhanced by the Darkness, itself…”

The Old Woman ‘appears’ in my mind… She says, “It is the difference in Magics… The Trolls are more resistant to Dwarven Magic designed to protect the race from other races. Just as the Human minions are more resistant to the Human Magic…and Dark Elves are to Elven. With an army of minions from all three races, Drakyre has the ability to thwart all types of defense Magics… He must have needed more Trolls for something, which does not bode well for us Dwarves, because that would indicate a more serious attack is in the making—one that will not only be after more minions…”

I sigh and say, “I really wish she would not do that…although, I suppose it has its uses.” Kir looks at me strangely and I explain how the Old Woman appears to me…and repeat what she just said.


“Dark Elves? This Dwarven oracle thinks Dark Elves are involved?” Aunt Lothi is clearly disturbed.

I nod and finish telling her about the attack and how I had rushed home so that we can strengthen our defenses.

Aunt Lothi continues, “If it is true that Drakyre has aligned himself with Dark Elves, then we may truly be in for a nasty battle…or war. Unlike the other minions, the Dark Elves are not created by Drakyre, although I suppose he could create some perverted resemblance of one. These are creatures that are nearly every bit as Dark as Drakyre himself, but that we have been able to maintain a tenuous treaty with, over the centuries. We haven’t gotten to that part of your history lessons, yet, but before our truce, there were very bloody battles between them and us. I find it hard to believe that they would align themselves with Drakyre, though. They are very distrustful…and will bow to no one…they don’t even have a leader in that sense… It is difficult to explain and even more so to comprehend how they survive as a loose band of…beings…”

I let that sink in, then ask, “And our defenses…? The Veil?”

Aunt Lothi shakes her head and says, “The old Dwarf is right… It is designed to keep other races out…and the Dark Elves, Dark as they may be, are Elves


The next several days are filled with a huge flurry of activities from me.

First, I gather Miri, Mori, and Aunt Lothi and go to the Tree of Life. I want to commune with the Elders from LONG ago and need a rock solid tether to reality. Once I am sure that mental lifeline is secured, I touch the Tree and ask for permission to commune…

I feel myself drawn deep into the roots and up through the phloem system of the tree…. I lose all sense of direction back to reality… But, finally come to where I need to be… A series of ‘lights’ appear and I am with the Elders.

I ask as many questions as I can about the Dark Elves and the wars from long ago… What our best defenses…and offenses were. I also ask about ways to strengthen the Golden Veil, the fact that Dark Rider was able to get through even a little bit still frightens me.

I learn so much and want to ask more, but feel the tug of my lifeline and myself being pulled back to reality.

I am surprised to find that I was in communion with the Elders for three hours…the maximum allowed time for the safety of the Queen.

After that, I sit with my Court and make plans to strengthen our defenses. As with everything there is a cost, and strengthening the Golden Veil comes with one. It is a matter of balance. For centuries, now, the level at which the Veil has been maintained by the Tree has been more than sufficient. It had noticed the intrusion of the Dark Rider and automatically increased the strength of the Veil. The level of Energy needed to do that, however, cannot be maintained for long periods of time. A sustained level of attack at that magnitude would cause the Veil to fail.

The Elders did, however, feel that, with my unique combination of Human, Elven, and Dwarven Magics, I can do what has not been possible before.

But, it will take careful preparation…and time to gather what I need…


I am in an exhausted sleep. I am thirty minutes into my three-hour sleep cycle, when I start dreaming… I feel the pull of the Magic from both of my Dwarven rubies… I know this is not just an ordinary dream…

A huge Darkness is descending on the Veil, at the same time, it is descending on the Human and Dwarven Realms… Four Riders each, with vast armies of minions, are descending on the three Realms…

Drakyre is coming…sometime in the very near future…

Author’s Note: This is the end of the first Trilogy. As soon as I fulfill some promises on other stories and series, I will start the second set of books in this series. I hope everyone has enjoyed it so far and is interested in more.

up
207 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Anxiously awaiting.....

D. Eden's picture

This has been a very good story, and I look forward to the continuation. You definitely have me hooked!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Thanks!

I have had a lot of fun with it. Unfortunately, my writing time has become more restricted...and, as summer arrives (and outside duties increase), it will only become more so...

But, it is too much fun to drop... So, there will be a short intermission... :)

Shauna,

Shauna,
Can I queue the intermission music now? :) I remember all the 1950s-60s epic movies that had both introduction music and then intermission music. This wonderful little story you have produced deserves some of the same, while you are on your intermission time. Hugs, Janice Lynn

HUGS!

I can hear it now! *SMILE*

Fun story.

So, she faces intrusion by the dark forces, as is always the case.

Very Good

Gwen

Thanks, Gwen!

Yes, evil always DOES have a way of testing the good... :)

War...SUCKS...

But...yeah... It is coming... :(

Good Story!

I've really enjoyed the story so far! Please continue!

Hugs
Gina

No Worries!

Although, it may be either in the dead heat of summer...or more towards winter...when I have more time to write.

Thanks...

…for clearing things up as far as the trolls are concerned.

It'll be interesting to know where the Dark Elves fit in. My first thought when you said they were leaderless was of a situation like the U.S. Civil War, where Southern states were trying to secede and the Union fought to keep them in. Were the Dark Elves really trying to conquer, or just to make themselves independent from the monarchy? If it's the latter, they seem to have been successful.

Lothi's surprise that they'd consider allying with Drakyre also suggested to me that this was more of a fundamental political issue than a true good-evil standoff; if anything, the Dark Elves would be more amoral than evil. If a battle developed between order and chaos, or between rule and anarchy, they'd be on the chaotic/anarchist side. But the limited amount that we know about Drakyre makes it appear that disorder among his subjects would be no more welcome to him than it is to the powers that be -- probably less welcome.

If the Dark Elves really were trying to take over all those centuries ago and still have the desire to do so, or if Drakyre can convince them that the new elf queen has designs on reopening the war and that a pre-emptive attack would be in their best interests, then I can see them doing their part to conquer from within while the mainstream elves are occupied at the border. Depending on the reasons that the peace was "tenuous" -- was it the good guys or the bad guys or elements of both sides who were trying to break it? -- or if they do really feel more inclined to evil than good, they may even consider Drakyre a more welcome neighbor. But I'm surprised they'd trust him to the point where he could actively rule over them afterward, despite any promises he'd make to leave them alone; elves haven't struck me as a naive race. I suppose realpolitik could apply, if most of the Dark Elves think resistance would be futile.

Anyway, I guess we'll see how it all comes together when you get back to things eventually.

Eric

Interesting thoughts!

Intermission will end... ;)

I am glad that it has been to your liking and am looking forward to continuing the saga as soon as time permits!

HUGS!

This campaign

Podracer's picture

- is going to take some planning, by queen and author both.

"Reach for the sun."