Badasses Of the Multiverse: Book 3: Chapter 01

Printer-friendly version

Badasses Of the Multiverse, Book 3: “The Student, The Hacker, and The Soldier.”

Chapter One: “The Comet Run. Mars To Earth, In Forty-Eight Hours, Or Less.”

By Paul Cousins.

Copyright Disclaimer: All copyrighted places, characters, items, and events, within the story, are held by their current owners. No profit is being made on this work of fiction.

(_)

Reality, Cowboy Bebop Reality. Date, Tuesday, May fourteenth, two thousand seventy-five. A few years after Cowboy Bebop series ended. And several months after the Serenity crew came to this reality. Place, Mars, Tharsis City. Time, an hour after dawn, in the morning, local time.

Inside the bedroom, of nice apartment, several floors up, in a nice building, a black bearded, fair skinned man, in his late thirties woke up in his bed.

The man had a full, bushy, though clean and groomed beard. Along with his beard, he had a full head of long hair that went to his neck line. The man was in good physical shape for his age.

As he got up from his bed, he was careful not to disturb the sleeping, skinny redheaded woman, to his right side, whom looked in the her late twenties.

He then headed for their apartment bathroom, for him to get ready and dressed for the day.

After he finished getting cleaned up, showered, and dried off with a towel, the man looked out himself in his bathroom mirror, as he smiled a his reflection. He quietly said, “I love my life.”

The man then walked into his bedroom, and he quickly put on his clothes. Which he had laid out in a chair, the previous evening.

He first put on his underwear and sockets. He then put on a necklace. Afterward, he put on a brown, plaid, long sleeved button up shirt, over the necklace. Next, he put on some brown pants. In his pants pockets, he had some load speedloaders, his wallet, and a few other items.

After he zipped up and buttoned his brown pants, he buckled his brown leather belt, which was already in the loops of his pants. Next, he put on his black boots, which he tied the laces too. And the he put his pair of sunglasses over his eyes.

He then put on his gunbelt, with his six shot revolver pistol hanging, in its holsters, on the side of his right thigh. He buckled his gunbelt, over his pants belt. After which, he slid a closed foldout knife into his the inner side of his right boot. Finally, he put on his brown long coat, that he was very proud of having, and his brown cowboy hat.

Right after getting dress, he made it to the living room, just in time for the locked front door to open.

The man turned to see a woman, whom opened the door, with the key he had given her.

The woman was a brown haired, fair skinned woman in her mid-twenties. Her brown hair her was cut short, to her neckline, and she had a slender, though very physically fit, body.

The woman was dressed in a white t-shirt, light brown pants, black leader belt, black boots, and an open light brown cloth jacket over her shirt.

The women had a semi-automatic pistol in a shoulder holster, located under her left armpit. With spare magazines for her pistol found in holders, in her shoulder holster, under her right armpit.

The woman turned to the man, as she asked the man, in english, “You ready to go get some breakfast, and go to work?”

The man answered, in english, “Yep. And I am driving.”

The woman smiled at the man, as she replied, “No problem. As long as you are paying for breakfast.”

The man returned the woman's smile, as he inquired, “Works for me. Usual american style breakfast diner okay?”

The woman responded, “That will do.”

The two then left the apartment, with the man locking and shutting the door behind them.

(_)

Reality, Akira, Ranma, and Natsuru's home reality. Date, early twenty-first century, during the spring time, for the Northern hemisphere of the planet Around two years after Akira, Ranma, and Natsuru, returned from their adventure with Rock and Bad Company. On a Friday. Place, Earth, Aspen, Colorado, USA. Time, early afternoon.

On Earth, in Aspen Colorado, it was a Friday, as group of high schoolers were graduating.

It was a beautiful sunny, spring day for the graduation, as several students received their diplomas. Included in the students that received their diplomas was an eighteen year old, black haired, teenage man known as Bob.

Bob once when by the name body, but as he slimmed down a go in show over that last two years, he also shortened his name to Bob. Also, he had was cut short, with his hair being long enough to part, but his hair did not go all the way down to neckline.

With school now out of the way, Bob felt he would finally be able to seek out the adventurous life he so craved. The one he knew existed, but was so far outside of his grasp.

Still, he kept such feelings to himself, for the justified fear that he would sabotage his own efforts. He knew that if he was patient, he would gain everything he sought. It would just take time and effort. To that end, for the last two years he put much effort into both getting healthier, and into shape, while also saving money for his future.

Now, with his diploma in hand, his only had a few more loose ends to tie up, before he could move forward.

After the graduation ceremony was finished, Bob, and his family, whom had watched his graduation, returned home.

Bob did not really have any high school friends. Though, he did have a few acquaintances. As such, he saw no point in staying in his home town. He had other concerns to deal with.

When Bob and his family reached the school parking lot, Bob's father, mother, younger brother, and younger sister, returned to their home in their family minivan.

Meanwhile, when Bob reached the trunk of his used car, he used his keys to open the trunk. He then took off his graduation gown and tossed it and his diploma into the trunk. After he closed the trunk, he walked around, unlocked the left side driver's door, and got into of his use his used car. After which, he shut the door, buckled up, and put his car key into the ignition, to start his car.

Bob's used car was a two door, cherry red car, that he bought from a family friend of a friend. And it was good car, with nice pickup, decent mileage, that got him where he needed to go. Also, it was an automatic transmission, and Bob bought the car for that exact reason. He knew that learning how to drive such a vehicle with a manual transmission would broaden his skill set a little.

The car was in good condition, and he no complains in having it.

After he started his car, he shifted the transmission, to slowly exited the parking lot.

As soon as he cleared the other cars in the parking lot, with still a little distance to the exit to the street, Bob kept his eyes in front of him, and his left hand on the steering wheel, as he used his right hand open up the console box between the front seats.

One the reasons Bob drove himself was so that he could listen to his own music.

By the time Bob had reached the exit to the street, and he had coming to a stop, he had he pulled out the CD he wanted from his console box. It was the soundtrack to one of his all time favorite movies. Part one of a movie trilogy. A classic.

After inserting the CD, he put the case back into the console and closed the console. He then selected the track he wanted.

He had done this so many times, he was able to select which song he wanted without looking at the radio-CD readout.

He checked to make sure he was clear on both ways of the street. As he safely turned onto the lane of the street he wanted to go, the song, Back In Time, from the soundtrack to the first Back To The Future film, began playing at a comfortable volume, from his car's interior speaker.

As Bob headed for his family home, he sung a line from the song, as the lyric played, “So, take me away. I don't mind. But, you better promise me, I'll back in time.”

Bob then began laughing as he enjoyed the music from the CD, as he travel down the road.

Bob soon made it back his family home.

Bob saw that he had made it home just after the rest of his family had walked inside his family home.

Bob parked his car, in their family driveway, to the right of the family minivan, and the left of the walkway that lead to the front door.

After Bob got out of his car, and locked the door behind him, he walked up to the front door of his family home. Which was unlocked at the time of day. And he entered his family home to change clothes, and ready for work.

As he was about to head upstairs, to his bedroom, on the second story of the home. Near the other bedrooms that his family used. So, he could get ready for work. Though, when he reached the bottom of the staircase, his parents had walked up to him.

While still on the ground floor of their family home, Bob came to a stop, as he turned to look at his parents. He thought, 'This is likely not good. And I was having such a wonderful day, until right now.'

His mother said, “Bob, we need to talk.”

Bob asked, “What is Mom? Dad?”

His father said, “Bob. It is about your personality. You have changed so drastically over the last couple of years.”

Bob pointed out, “It is called growing up.”

His father answered, “It is not just that. While we love that fact that you lost weight and got in better shape, you have changed in a few other ways. You have been acting increasingly more reclusive and secretive. You use to talk about so much. Now, it is difficult to even get a few words from you. It is obvious that it is all tied to that day, over two years ago.”

His mother pointed out, “You have never given us a straight answer on what happen the day Mister Montoya disappeared, over two years ago.”

Bob stated, “You won't believe if I told you. And I am sure the police won't believe me. But, I did tell both you, and the police, what the woman I saw looked like... But, it is like one of those Twilight Zone moments you hear about. Where the side character brushes up against weirdness, with the person wisely runs away to live another day. You have to be there to believe what happened.”

Bob thought, 'And that is not counting what Rico told me two months later. Hell, I don't believe half of what Rico has told me since then. Though, I do believe the green haired woman I met two months after the incident, is Rico. And I think he reason I don't believe much of what Rico told me, was because my sanity is just not ready to handle all of what she told me.'

Bob inquired, “Besides, why is this news, anyway?”

His mother commented, “Because you have just graduated, and we are concerned about your future plans.”

His father said, “You have been packing up, and storing your belongs for that last few weeks. It is clear you have big plans for yourself. Plans you have not shared with us. And you have never talked to us about college.”

His mother stated, “That has us worried.”

Bob replied, “I am not planning to go to college.”

His father asked, “Then, where are you planning on going?”

Bob lips curled into a smile, as he coyly said, “Down the rabbit hole. Through the looking glass. Up in the hot air balloon. Across the sea. I am looking forward to adventure. Now that I am done with school, I can see the world.”

His mother commented, “Bob, we know you have your head in the clouds. You love your collections of books and videos. But, you have to come down to Earth sometime and grow up. There are no adventures in this world. Just responsibilities.”

His father pointed out, “Son, besides which, you do not have a lot of money, to start such a journey.”

Bob said, “I have enough to get me started. I can work my way. If need be.”

His mother responded, “And as what? A drifter? Son, you have got to stop living in a fantasy world. Bob, your father and I are more than willing to help you pay for college. Still, it is clear that Reina Montoya has been bad influence on you.”

“At least her older brother, Ricardo Montoya had a good head on his shoulders. On the other hand, his sister has clearly been a bad influence on you. What woman dyes her hair that shade of green?”

Bob defended his boss, “You are aware that some people are born with really strange hair colors. I checked it off the internet. It is true. It is just rare around this part of the country.”

His mother replied, “Even so. She does not seem like a person whom one want to associate with. You can tell by the way she acts that she came from some place that was not very civilized.”

Bob thought, 'That is an understatement. I never did ask Rico about her life in Roanapur, because I really did not want to know the literal gory details.'

Bob commented, “She left for here to get away her crazy life. Just like Mister Montoya did.”

His mother pointed out, “Yes. And look at what happened to him... He disappeared.”

Bob mentally reflected, 'Actually, Mister Montoya, or should I say Rico, was kidnapped, got turned into a chick. But, she was later rescued and returned here to try to resume her old life, under the identity of her own sister. For the most part she had been successful at rebuilding her life. And from what I understand, I am the only person, living in this city, that knows the truth about her. And I intend to continue to keep her secret safe.'

His mother continued, “And now Miss Montoya is here. And she took over what her brother built.”

Bob complimented, “Miss Montoya has done a great job running that business. And she has been nothing but a professional at her job.”

His mother conceded, “I will grant her that she dresses nicely. But, she brought with her some questionable habits with her.”

Bob realized what his mother was alluding too, as he thought, 'You got to be kidding me. That is what her problem is with my boss.'

Bob stated, in a matter of face tone of voice, “So, Miss Montoya prefers women over men. Mom, it is the twenty-first century, deal with it. She is also smoking hot. If she preferred men over women, I would have asked her on a date, on my eighteenth birthday.” He mentally reflected, 'Even if she was originally a guy. She said that she should be bi-sexual. But, the people I have seen her date are women. And I am not crazy enough to ask her about that subject.'

His father said, “That is another things, Bob. We have noticed you have never asked out any of the girls in your school, out on a date.”

Bob defended himself, “Don't worry. I like girls. The problem is the lack of options. The goods ones are already involved with someone. And the rest are either for a one night stands. While I am looking for a relationship. Or, they are not worth my time. But, that is another matter.”

“Mom, Dad, I am not planning on going anywhere for a few months. I am just packing up now because you taught me to plan ahead.”

His mother said, “That is good. That means we can talk about this later.”

Bob thought, 'Delaying this conversations for a later date is my only way out.' He said, “Yes. We can talk about it later.”

His mother replied, “Good. And son. Whatever you do. Just be careful. And know that we love you.”

Bob responded, “I always am. And I love you both, as well.”

Bob's father said, “We only want the best for you.”

Bob replied, “I realize that. Now, I have to get ready for work.

Bob then turned towards the stairs, and walked up the staircase, to his bedroom. While, his parents turned in another direction, as they headed for the family living room.

(_)

A minute later, as Bob entered his bedroom, he looked around his room.

While he looked around, he saw that most of his shelves were now mostly empty. With a few open, plastic boxes still on the floor. Though, there were not enough boxes present to account for all the empty shelves. With the other boxes already put up in storage.

Bob thought, 'Almost done. It is never wise to leave a mess behind. When I leave, my family will not have to clean up after me. I love them enough not to do that to them. Now, let's see, my anime, manga, comic, sci-fi, and fantasy series collections are already safely stored in plastic boxes. I already have much of these boxes in storage, in a small, unused space, in the downstairs basement.'

'I even have permission from my parents to store my stuff there, for the time being. Also, the boxes in the basement are set on wooden six-six timbers, which I bought to keep the boxes off the floor. Just in case of flooding. You can never be to careful. All that is left is my book collection.'

After Bob picked up one of the empty plastic boxes, with its plastic lid on his bed, he walked over to his book collection, on one of the set of shelves that was still full.

He looked at his book collection with pride. Like his other collections, it had taken him years to slowly build his book collection. And no one would argue that he had great taste when it came to books. Especially the classics, in his book collection.

Among other book tie-ins to the other series, he had on the shelves, there also was the John Carter of Mars collection, the Conan the Barbarian collection, the Red Sonya collection, Gulliver’s Travels, the Land of Oz collection, the Wonderland collection, the Philip K Dick collection, the Arthur C Clarke collection, the Isaac Asimov collection, the novel version of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Moby Dick, Captain Blood, and other classical pirate books.

He then began packing up his collection.

Ten minutes later, he had packed up all his books, with the boxes the books were in, being being closed, and label as his, and that the boxes held parts of his book collection. The boxes were nearly stacked in a far corner, in his room. Away from his bed and door to the hallway. With the boxes being ready to be moved down to the basement, as Bob's leisure.

Bob then looked at the digital watch, on his left wrist. He thought, 'Good I still have over an hour before I have to show up for work. As soon as, I get these boxes down to the basement. I can get cleaned up, changed, and then head for work.'

He then pulled out his cellphone, from his right front pants pocket. He to checked his phone, as he thought, 'Yep. It is fully charged. Nice. Now, to take care of this, get ready, and report for work.'

Bob put away he cellphone, and he then went to the task of carefully moving the full boxes, from his second story bedroom, and down to the basement of the home.

Twenty minutes later, Bob finished his packing, and he got ready for work. He got cleaned up, shaved for a second time that day. Rico liked her employees to look profession. And he then got dressed.

Among his clothing, he wore black tennis shoes, black pants, and his store uniform shirt, which was a blue turtle neck shirt uniform with the name, Gateway to Fantasy on the right side of his chest.

A few minutes later, Bob walked outside the front of his family home, to get into his car and go to work, as his job, as a retail salesman.

Within minutes, he was on the road, heading for his job.

As Bob was driving to the Gateway to Fantasy Collector's Story, he mentally lamented, 'Two years. It is been over two years since I saw Revy walk into the collector's store, that I worked at. And the same store I still work at.'

'And Rico only gave me the cliff notes about what really happen to her in that battle, in that other reality, at Chang's Tower. Though, from what she said, she was hiding when the battle happened, and Rock and the others only found her a few days later. They helped deprogram her, gave her a reality device to returned to this reality, and let her go.'

'I do not fault her for not giving me the detailed on what happened to her, during that time. Because she clearly doesn't know what really happened, herself.'

'And though, she has told me some things. She has been cagey about other matters. A year and a half ago, when I asked about that reality device, she refused to tell me how that reality device works, nor how to use it to travel.'

'She knew I would likely try it out.'

'Oh well. To be honest, because of she didn't tell me about the reality device, the last two years had been boring as hell. Nothing has happened to me. All it has been is school and work. No adventures. No real interesting people coming into the store. At least none that I recognize.'

'I know she does sometimes have meetings after work hours, after I leave for home. Rico raised my hopes for adventures, and then she crushed those hopes. Still, I lost weight, and got in shape. My physique is now respectable. Not bodybuilder level. But nice. So, there is, at least, that.'

'I plan in a few days. To a week. To confront her. She said when I turned eighteen we would go on adventures. And I am going to hold her to her word.'

'Rico even taught me the basics of using a pistol, and how to throw a decent punch. So, she did want to prepared me, as least a little, for any trouble I might end up getting into. Whether it is my fault, or not.'

'But, it did not need to be said we both knew that I would have to get out of school, first. That is why I haven't talked to her about it.'

'Well, I am now out of school, and I am ready for some adventure. Though, I have enough sense to wait a few a few. Asking her on right now, an hour after I got my diploma is kind of tasteless. Instead, I will talk with her, tonight.'

'And even if Rico says, no. That is not the end of the world for me. Even with the internet censoring such subjects, I know there are mysteries in the world I lived in. And within a couple of weeks, I will have saved up enough money, over these last two years, to quit his job and explore the world on my own. Though, I would have to do it as a person going from town, looking for work. While doing said adventuring. But, that is difficult, but not impossible.'

'Especially, since I already got my passport.'

A few minutes later, Bob reached the parking lot where the Gateway to Fantasy was located.

Soon after, he parked his car, got out, locked his car, and shut the car door. He then turned and walked towards the main entrance to the Gateway to Fantasy retail story.

A minute later, he entered the store.

As the front entrance double-doors closed behind him, he saw Rico at the cashier’s counter, to his right side.

Bob walked over the woman, as he stated, “Hi boss. Sorry, I could not make it here sooner.”

Rico responded, “That's okay. It is not every day you graduate from high school. So, how was it?”

Bob thought, 'This is the best time to ask her when we can have this discussion. Either she goes for it, or I am out the door. On a life of adventure on my own. In a few weeks.'

Bob smiled, as he requested, “Fine. And boss. After the store closes, we need to talk about a few things.”

Rico stated, “Maybe tomorrow. I have some friends coming here after work. When you get finished with counting, and locking up the money, leave the keys under the counter, by the gun. And leave the door unlocked, so my friends will come.”

Bob responded, “Sure. No problem. We will discuss the matter, then.”

Bob thought, 'Rico. As tempting as it is to push the issue. I do not want to risk meeting your friends. I have have a general idea of who they could be. And I don't want to risk any problems, that could result from my meeting them. I am playing the long game. So, I will play along a little longer.'

Rico then headed for her office, in the back of the story, while Bob walked towards the back of the room, where the entrance to the counter was.

Soon, Rico was in her office, while Bob was manning the cashier’s counter.

(_)

The next several hours, until ten minutes until Nine PM, were boring for Bob, at his retail job. But, Bob made it through, on more day.

Bob had already changed the open sign to closed, and he went back to the cash register to start counting money that store had made that day.

As Bob was counted the money for the night, he noticed a nearby draw slightly open under the back of the counter, and shadowed by the back lip of the counter.

Bob thought, 'The reason I did not see that until know, was that the lip of the counter was hiding it. And I will look at it, after I am finished with counting, and putting away the money.'

A few minutes later, he finished counting the money, writing down the amount of money it was, for their records, and safely putting the money away.

With that done, he walked back around the counter, and over to the slightly open drawer.

Bob slowly opened the drawer, and he saw a strange remote sized device inside the drawer.

Bob realized, as he thought, 'That is Rico's reality traveling device. What it is doing out here?... That doesn't matter, right now. And given how dangerous it is. I am not even going to touch it... Best to close the drawer, and tell her to come get it, herself.'

But, as Bob carefully began to push the drawer closed, the bottom, of the cheaply made drawer, falling out of it, and the device dropped to the floor.

As the device fell, Bob lunged for it, as he tried to catch it.

Unfortunately, the device hit the floor before he could reach it.

Immediately after grabbing the device, Bob suddenly noticed that it was a lot brighter than it was a few seconds ago.

Then, he realized that he was no longer inside the store.

Bob stood up and he looked around. He immediately realized he was outside, on the sidewalk, of a two lane road. On the other side of the sidewalk, form the street, was a lush green forest. He also noted that, given the sunlight, it was suddenly in the middle of the day.

As Bob looked around, he thought, with worry, 'This is not good.'

Bob continued to look around himself. He saw that he was right outside of a city, with tall buildings in the distance. With the smaller, multistory buildings beginning about two hundred yards from him.

Also, Bob noticed that he surrounded by lush, green forests on both sides of the sidewalks that bordered the two lane road between the walk paths.

Along with this, Bob saw people walking sidewalks, near him. With hovercraft flying over head, and cars driving down a nearby road. Also, the cars were driving on the left side of the road.

Bob thought, 'Besides the flying cars. Wherever I am, I am not in the U.S. anymore. Because the cars, here, are driving on the left side of the road, instead of the right side. Fortunately, it seems no one had noticed me just appearing. So, I have that going for me. Still, I need to find out where I am? And I guess, with those flying cars, when I am? Or, even if I am even in my own reality, anymore?'

Bob then continued to looking around and he then saw something he could not barely believe. In the distance, away from the buildings were giant walls the size of mountains, that had had air and moisture coming up from vents, at the top of the walls.

Bob was slightly confused and shocked, at what he saw. Then, he looked up, into the blue sky, and he saw two oval shaped moons in the sky. Not one round moon, but, two oval moons.

Bob though, with dread, 'I am not on Earth anymore. That is Phobos and Deimos. Mars' two moons. Oh crap. I am on Mars. From the looks of it, this is the Cowboy Bebop reality. With those giant walls being machines for terraforming Mars.'

Bob then looked back at the street in front of him, as he continued his thoughts, 'Okay. I can work through this. I will use time travel rules. First rule of time travel, when lost. Find out where and when you are. I know where. The question is, when?'

Bob looked around at the people that walked by him, with them continuing to not pay him any notice.

Bob thought, 'With luck they, speak english here. Given the series has mostly english text. Especially when they used computers, and the internet. When is comes to language, I am probably right. Let's test out that theory, and hope it is true.'

As a teenage boy walking by him. He politely asked the boy a question in english. “Hello, could you please give me the date and time today?”

The teenage boy stopped walking, as he turned to look at Bob. He answered, in english, “It is Tuesday, May Fourteenth, Two thousand seventy-five. Around Two O'clock in the afternoon.”

Bob replied, “Thank you.”

The boy shrugged, as he turned, and continued walking away from Bob, in the direction he had been going.

Bob thought, 'The Cowboy Bebop series was set in two thousand seventy-one. This is after the series. And it is around sixty years in my future... Oh crap. I am like Marty McFly, from the Back To The Future film trilogy. Only, I have seen the movies. I have a general idea of what to do.'

'I am in trouble. But, I not completely screwed. I wanted adventure. But, on my terms. Not by a freak accident. I need to look at the device in my hands.'

He looked at the device, in his hands. He looked shift the device to his right hand, as he turned it around, and look at all sides. He was careful not to hit any of the buttons on the device.

He found that the device looked sort of like a TV remote. With the device being a rectangular ship, with the long flat side having buttons on it.

Including at red button, slightly larger than the other buttons, being located near the middle of the front side.

Bob thought, 'The first rule of any device. Never touch the large red button. And I am not going to do so.'

Bob then noticed, at the top of the front side of the device, there was a digital readout that was doing a slow countdown.

It read...

“47:58:32.”
“47:58:31”
“47:58:30”

Bob realized, as he mentally reflected, 'The device has a timer that is set on a forty-eight hour countdown. It will likely return to my reality when it reaches zero. And I have seen the sci-fi, Sliders, enough times to know, you never mess with the timer of a reality device. Because doing so will likely create a random jump, which will leave me lost in the multiverse.'

'Being stuck here is bad. But, being lost in existence itself, is infinitely worse.'

'And that Sliders series was okay. The first season and a half of Sliders was good. Then, the creators killed the professor and it went down hill from there. But, I need to focus on the matter at hand. Getting home.'

'I am now upset with Rico for refusing to tell me how this thing works. If I knew how this thing worked, I could probably be home by now. But, since I do not, I will have to be very careful with this device.'

'Still, between knowing Sliders, Back to the Future, and a lot of other fantasy and sci-fi, space, time, and reality, traveling fiction. I can survive for two days, until the countdown reaches zero. I am sure that the Bebop is off-world. But, I might be able to find Andy. And he is always looking to some adventure. Then, the timer reaches zero and I go from Mars... To Earth?... Ah oh.'

'This thing only sent me not only to the Cowboy Bebop reality, but after the series, and on Mars. By accident. It dropped, and when it hit the floor, it caused a random jump. The timer is likely a fail-safe in case of an accidental transport, without someone. So, it will return, and not get into someone else's hands.'

'But, the device likely isn't suppose to go across planets. There is a real chance when that counter reaches zero, I will be returned to my reality and time, but on the Mars of my reality. Where I would die a quick, painful death, from the cold and asphyxiation.'

'That means I have to find a way to Earth in less than forty-eight hours. With the gate system, that is not impossible. It is just going to take time to find someone with a ship, whom is willing to take me to Earth.'

'The problem is I have no cash... Okay. I will deal with the cash problem, later. Right now, I will deal with what I can do. Worst case scenario. I let the device return without me. And I am stuck here until I can find my own way home. But, I will only do that if I have no other options.'

'Let's start with getting the simple stuff out of the way. Such, as setting my watch to the countdown of this device's timer. So, I don't have to pull out the device every time I want to know how little time I have left.'

As Bob set his digital watch to the countdown on the device, he noted that the time on his watch said Nine Two PM.

Bob thought, 'Given the timer's countdown started at forty-eight hours. I have been here for about two minutes. So, I left at Nine PM sharp.'

After Bob set his digital watch to countdown the reality device, slid the device into his left pants pocket.

Bob mentally reflected, 'Well, even thought I have had a long day. I am not tired. Still, I got no real options. So, I might as well do what all desperate people do when they need help beyond their means. Go to church and pray. And I believe I will find a church closer to then city, than further away.'

Bob started walking down the sidewalk, and into the city, as he headed for the nearest church he could find.

As he walked down the sidewalk, his right side was to the street, as he continued to see people, cars, and hover vehicles pass by him.

Fortunately, Bob found that the sidewalk pedestrian buttons and illuminated signs, of the crosswalks, of the intersections of the streets, where there were street lights, worked the same, the crosswalk buttons and illuminated signs back home. And he did not have any problems using the crosswalks, to cross the streets, at the intersections, as he made his way into the city.

Bob continued walking, as he thought, 'Except for the hover cars, this isn't much different than home. Still, the folks back home are never going to believe me. If I tell them about this.'

Bob came to a stop, as he pulled out his cellphone from his right front pants pocket. He used the thin computer screen, a large flat side of the cellphone, to both awaken the cellphone from sleep mode, and log in his password, into his amount on his cellphone.

The cellphone screen then pulled up the computer operating systems graphical user interface on the screen.

Bob held his cellphone in his hands, as he continued his thoughts, 'Oh maybe they will... Though, I need to be sparing with my video recoding, and take photographs, with my cellphone.'

'Still, I am happy that I did not go cheap with my phone. It has a lot of memory space, with a solid state drive. And it will take high quality recordings of video, audio, and photographs. Including, zoom in and zoom out features.'

'I am going to need all of these features, if I hope to do this right. Still, let's check to see if I got a signal. I know it is a long shot, but still. Also, I will check my on board memory sticks.'

He check his cellphone. As expected, there was no signal, but the rest of the phone work. Also, the cellphone's memory was almost completely empty.

Bob thought, 'While cellphone service is a bust. At least I have plenty of room, on my cellphone, to make recordings. So, when I get back. I have proof. And I don't end up in the looney bin.'

Bob set his phone, in his hands, to video mode, as he placed the camera lens, in the direction of his face.

He pressed the record button, as he said into the phone, “This is Bob. I am just a guy from Aspen Colorado. And by some fluke, I am now in the Cowboy Bebop reality. Yes. The anime. Cowboy Bebop. On I really in the reality of this series.'

'At the moment. The local time is in the middle of the day. And I am on Mars. I know this because, I can see Mars' two moon, in the sky. Phobos and Deimos.'

Bob panned the video to show the two moons in the sky, Phobos and Deimos. He used the computer screen, on the opposite side of the cellphone, from the camera lens, to properly zoom in on the two moons.

Bob continued, “That those are Phobos and Deimos.”

Bob then reset the zoom feature, and he turned the cellphone around, to where it was looking at his face. He went onto say, “I think I am right outside Tharsis City. But, I am not sure. Though, did ask about the exact day, today. And I got an answer. The date is Tuesday, May fourteenth, two thousand seventy-five AD. For those that do not know, the Cowboy Bebop series was set in two thousand seventy-one. Anyway, here is what I am talking about...”

Bob thought, 'I need to check to see if I am still being ignored.'

Bob looked at those that were passing by him, and he sat that they continued to ignore him.

Bob thought, 'Good. They are still ignoring me. They probably think I am a lunatic. Or, a stupid kid. They might be right on both counts. Now, to continued my documentary.'

Bob then panned the camera lens, of his phone, to show around the area.

First, he showed the buildings in the distance, as he explained, “I know these look like regular buildings, but take a look over here...” Bob then panned to the giant wall, he continued, “See the large wall, with moisture coming out the top. That is a terraforming machine to give Mars a breathable atmosphere. Just like in the Cowboy Bebop series. And that is not all...”

Next, Bob panned the camera around, while zooming in with the camera, to show some nearby hover vehicles fly by, above the road, he stood beside.

Bob explained, “The locals call these hover vehicles, zipcrafts. They are native to the Cowboy Bebop reality...” He lower the camera down to street level, as it showed people and cars drive by, as he continued, “Also, you can see normal cars and people, dressed like us, here as well. I only know of this combination occurring in the Cowboy Bebop reality...”

He then turned the camera to face him, as he concluded, “Also, the people here speak english. So, there is not a major language barrier. With luck. I will make more of these videos. Along, with taking some pictures. But right now, I have to find a church and pray for help to get home. See you.”

Bob then turned off the video on his cellphone. He check the memory space of his cellphone, as he thought, 'Looks like that video didn't take up that much space.' He then replayed part of the video, as he continued his thought, 'And both the video and audio quality are not bad. I hate those UFO videos that are out of focus. I am glad I am not making the same mistake. Now, to find a church. I could use God on my side. Even if he is not the God I usually worship. And if that is the case, this God is likely the brother to the God I worship back home at church.'

Bob set his phone to low power, sleep mode, as he slid his phone into his right front pants pocket. He then continued walking down the sidewalk, and into the city.

(_)

Twenty minutes later, Bob found a small church that was open, by the sign, in english, set on the left wall, by the front doors to the church.

Bob found both doors were unlocked. He fully opened the right front door of the church, and walked inside.

Bob then gently closed the door behind him.

Bob noticed that while the ceiling lights were on in the room, there was no one present.

But, Bob did not care, as he immediately headed down the middle aisle, between the pews, towards the front alter.

As Bob reached the alter, he knelt in front of the alter, on the velvet carpet, on both his knees, he quietly prayed, “Dear God. My name is Bob. You don't know me. I just got to this reality by accident. And I am more than happy to leave. If you could please send some help my way to get me to Earth. I would be very grateful.”

Suddenly, a man in ratty clothing burst through the doors, in the across the room.

As Bob heard the intrusion, he quickly turned to face the man, as he stood up, straight.

Bob then saw that the man in ratty clothing was heading his way.

A few seconds later, two other adults burst into from the front doors, and into the church.

One was a brown haired, fair skinned woman, holding a semi-automatic pistol in her right hand. She was wearing a white t-shirt, light brown pants, black leader belt, black boots, and an open light brown cloth jacket over her shirt.

The other person was a black haired, fair skinned man, with a full bushy beard, wearing a brown plain shirt, brown pants, black boots, brown leather belt, a brown long coat, sunglasses, and a cowboy hat. The man was holding a revolver in his right hand.

Bob looked up for a second, as he said, “Thank you, lord.” He then looked back at the chase heading straight for him.

The woman yelled at Bob, in english, “Stop him, boy!”

As Bob watched the man in ratty clothing coming towards him, he thought, 'I need to be honest with myself. I have now hit the adventure circuit. Nothing is coincidence anymore. It is time it embrace the genre savvy, and make it work for me. The mistake Peter Parker made was letting the guy go. I won't make the same mistake.'

Bob stepped the right side of the man running by him, only to trip the man, with his left foot, at the last second.

Bob took a few steps back from the man on the floor, as he mentally added, 'That doesn't mean I cannot be tricky about it.'

A man fell to the ground face first onto the floor, the man and woman chasing him caught up with him.

The man with the long coat and revolver pointed his pistol at the man on the floor, as he loudly ordered, in english, “Don't move!”

The man on the floor stopped moving.

The woman holstered her pistol in her shoulder holster, as she pulled out a set of cuffs and cuffed the man behind his back.

After she did bound the man, she said to Bob, with out looking at him, “Good job. You just helped us catch a known thief and rapist.”

The bearded man said, “And a good payday on the bounty.”

The woman asked, “What is your name?”

While looking at the cuffed man, Bob answered, “Bob.”

Bob did not see the woman tense and look over at Bob's face. With her then doing a double-take.

Bob looked over at the woman. As their eyes met, the woman said, “Reg. You need to see this.”

The man with the revolver looked over at Bob. He just smiled, as he said, “Don't worry about it, B. Everything should be fine.”

Bob asked, “So, who are you two?”

The man cracked a grin, as he stated, “You can all me, Reggie. The woman beside me goes by the name, B.”

B said, “Nice to meet you, Bob. So, what brings you to this church?”

Bob answered, “I was praying for some help. And it looks like I just got it.”

Reggie said, “That you have kid. That you have. You helped us with this bounty. So, we will help you. What do you need?”

Bob checked his digital watch.

The watch read...

“46:58:59”
“46:58:58”
“46:58:57”

He then looked up at the bounty hunters, as he answered, “I need to get to Earth within less than forty-seven hours.”

Reggie smile became a little wider, as he stated, “Sure. No problem. Just stick with us, and you will be fine. But first, you are going to need a change of clothing. Along with some gear, and equipment. If nothing else, you need to lose the shirt.”

Bob looked down as his story clerk shirt.

B said, “Reg, has a point there.”

Bob looked up at them, as he sadly nodded in agreement. He said, “Any help is welcome.”

B replied, “Good. Let us handle this guy. Then, we will help you.”

B then picked the man up, put him on her right shoulder, and carrying him out of the building, they want they came in, with out showing any signs of effort.

Bob commented, “That is a strong woman? And she doesn't look that strong.”

Reggie said, “In this line of work. With this lifestyle. You learn very quickly that looks can be deceiving.”

Bob replied, “Amen to that.”

Reggie commented, “Also, B is from Earth. And Mars gravity is just under forty percent of Earth's gravity.”

Bob said, “I am from Earth as well. But, I am sure I am not that strong.”

Reggie stated, “Well, B does work out, some.”

Bob conceded, “You may have a point there.” He then realized something, as he inquired, with concern in his tone of voice, “Wait a minute. What about radiation? Mars does not have a magnetic field?”

Reggie answered, “Actually, Mars. At least now. Has an ozone layer and weak magnetic field that protects us. You're fine. Now Bob, follow us to our car outside.”

Bob then follow B and Reggie to their car outside.

(_)

A few minutes later, they were riding down the left side of road, in a four door, red convertible car, with the top, and side windows, down.

Reggie was driving in the front right side driver's seat, while B sat beside him in the left front passenger seat. Bob was behind Reggie, and the cuffed bounty was behind B.

All of them had on their seatbelts.

Also, Bob noticed that during the trip, so far, that the bounty had not done anyone, nor said a word.

Bob continued to look forward, so as to not stare at the bounty by him, as he thought, 'At this this criminal is not causing us any problems.'

B turned her head, to look at Bob, as she said, “As soon as we drop off this bounty by the police station, and collect our money, we will take you shopping.”

Reggie continued to look in front, as he drove. He stated, “And we are all going to have fun, doing that.”

Bob said, “I appreciate it. But, I really am on a tight schedule.”

Reggie kept his eyes in the front, as he responded, “Don't worry, kid. You will be on your way to Earth, soon enough. I may even be able to provide transportation for you. Also, I will even give you some traveling money from our bounty, so you can pay for your ride.”

Bob said, “Thank you, very much.” He thought, 'If he can provide me a way to Earth, that will solve a lot of my problems.'

Reggie replied, “No problem, kid.”

B stated, “You have any other questions, just ask. We have nothing better to do, than talk, to we get to the police station.”

Bob asked, “I have a few questions for you, two?”

B said, “Go ahead.”

Bob inquired, “What city are we in?”

B commented, “Kind of an odd question to ask. But, we are in Tharsis City.”

Bob inquired, “I though as much. Also, please don't take this the wrong way, but I was wondering. Are you two boyfriend and girlfriend?”

B and Reggie laughed for a few seconds. Though, Reggie was careful to keep his mind on the road around them.

As their laughter died down, Reggie answered, “Nope.”

B replied, “No offense taken.”

Reggie said, “We are just good friends, and business partners. And while we have known each other for years, there is no romantic chemistry between us. Besides, I already have a cool, hot girlfriend.”

B stated, “Yea. He really does. Nice girl too. Though, she is a little crazy. But, I am not one to talking. And, if you are wondering, I am pretty much single for the moment.” She then cracked a grin, as she said, “Though, you are not my type.”

B then turned around to face the front of the road.

Bob thought, 'Oh hell. She got the wrong idea with my questions. I need to clear this up quick, before it causes me problems. I cannot afford any more problems, right now.'

Bob commented, “That's fine. I did mean to give you that idea. I am not looking for a relationship right now. I am just looking to get home.”

Reggie complimented, “At least you got your proprieties straight, kid.”

B replied, “Okay. No problem. I already realized that. I was just playing with you.”

Bob replied, “Good. Glad to hear it.”

B turned to look at Reggie, she commented, “Oh. He is such a treat.”

Reggie cracked a grin, as he said, “I know.”

B looked back in front of the road, as she giggled a little to herself.

Meanwhile, in the backseat, Bob thought, 'As long as these two help me, I could care less if Reggie keeps calling me, kid. Still, I wonder if they mind if I take a few photos of them. What a minute. They don't have cellphones, as advanced as mine, here. So, I just been use the term, camera.'

Bob requested, “B, Reggie, do you mind if I take some pictures of you with my camera?”

B said, “We would prefer you not do so.”

Reggie responded, “What B said.”

Bob replied, “No problem.” He thought, 'That kills that idea. But, I will have time to take pictures of other people, later. And it it is cool to think about the fact that my reality has some more advance technology, than even here. Though, it is currently useless to get me. Still, it is a comforting thought to have. Also, I wonder how much time I have left.'

Bob looked at his watch. The countdown read, “46:49:42.”

Bob thought, 'For right now. I am just going to have to grin, and bear it. Until Reggie gets me to a transportation to Earth.'

The then continued to right down the road, in silence.

(_)

Ten minutes later, Reggie drove them into an open parking lot, across the from a police station. There, he parked the car, right the right side by a sidewalk. With the police station on the other side of the road, from their the sidewalk, and Reggie's car.

After Reggie stopped his car, put the car in park and turned off the engine, he and B undid did their seatbelts, and got of Reggie's car. With them shutting their doors behind them.

As B stood on the pavement of the parking lot, B did not bother to open the back door, by the bounty. Instead, she undid the bounty's seatbelt, and she then she just pick up the bounty out of the car, and onto her right shoulder, again.

After which, B walked around the car, to the sidewalk.

Meanwhile, Reggie was standing by where B was sitting. He looked down at Bob, as he said, “Stay here, Bob. B has got to take in the bounty. And I have a phone call to make.”

Bob undid his seat belt, as he looked up at Reggie. He stated, “Don't worry. I know better than to leave the safety of a perfectly good car.”

Bob thought, 'That is how every modern, young adventurer gets into trouble. They leave the car, to wonder around, without the experienced characters with them.'

Bob stated, “Though, as long as you are no gone for half an hour, I am fine. But, I am going to need to pee in a little while.”

Reggie chuckled, as he replied, “We will be back by then.”

Bob saw Reggie head for a nearby pay vidphone, down the sidewalk, to make a call.

Bob then turned and watched B, with the bounty on her right shoulder, head down the sidewalk, to a nearby crosswalk.

Bob then soon saw B walk across a crosswalk, to the police station, with her then entering the building.

Next, Bob looked in front of him, as he leaned back in his seat, to get conformable.

Bob was sitting right next to the concrete walkway, as he watched people walk by.

A few minutes later, he heard a young, male voice ask him, in english, “Hey you?”

Bob looked over to his right side, and he saw a few of teenagers his age. Two boys and a girl. They were dressed like average teenagers, in casual clothing that would fit in the cities of his home country and reality, during the time period he came from.

Bob silently prayed, 'Please, lord, do not let this be the start of a bully scene. I know I am set up for the situation, but please let us not do it.'

'They do not look like they are not looking for trouble. And I hope I am right. If nothing else, being next to the police station will help decline people from starting trouble. Still, I do need to talk to them, or they will take offense, and likely cause me trouble.'

Bob asked them, in a casual tone of voice, “Yea. What do you want?”

The girl inquired, in english, “The shirt man. Where did you get it?”

Bob looked down at his, 'Gateway to Fantasy', business shirt.

Bob looked up at them, as he chuckled for a few seconds. He then honestly joked, “A long time ago. In a galaxy far, far away.” He thought, 'And the funny part is that it is true.'

The three teenagers laughed at Bob's joke.

Bob commented, “Those movies never get old.”

One of the boys replied, in english, “Nope. So, where did you get the shirt from?”

Bob lied, “I got the shirt, from a store, in a mall, in one of the nicer parts of town.”

The other boy said, in english, “Thanks.”

The three teenagers then turned, and walked away from Bob, and down the street.

Bob let out a deep breath, as he thought, 'That was close.'

Bob looked up, as he quietly said, “Thanks again.”

The next ten minutes passed by quickly. Reggie soon finished his call and walked up to the car, to stand by Bob. He looked down at Bob, as Bob looked up at him. Reggie asked, “Any trouble?””

Bob replied, “Nope.”

Reggie open the driver's side door, got into the driver's seat. As he closed the door, he said, “Good. B should be out any minute. It does not take long to process bounties.”

Bob responded, “That is nice to know.”

Both men sat quietly for the next few minutes, until they saw B come out of the station.

She soon made it across street, across the crosswalk, then down the sidewalk, to where they were.

B then walked around the car, and she got into the front passenger seat. She then shut front passenger door behind her.

Next, B turned to Reggie, as she reached into her jacked, and she pulled out something.

From between the seat, Bob saw that B was handing Reggie a stack of bills, as B said, “That is your half, Reg.”

Reggie to the money from B's right hand. While he pocketed the money into one of his inner coat pockets, he said, “Thanks, B.”

Reggie then started the car, as he looked looked between the seats. He stated, “Now, let us us go shopping for you, Bob. You are in desperate needs of a new clothing style to wear.”

B looked over at Bob, as she giggled. She then agreed, “You got that right.”

Bob shrugged, as he replied, “Fine with me.”

Reggie then back the car out of the park space it was in. A minute later, he was driving them down the street, towards their next destination.

(_)

Twenty minutes later, Bob found himself, with B and Reggie, in a men's clothing store, as the two older adults started picking out clothing for him to try on.

After a quick restroom visit, Bob came back to the retail area of the store, look at B and Reggie selecting clothing for him to try on.

Bob could tell the two older adults were having fun deciding what Bob should try on.

Bob did not mind, because more of the clothing they picked out was interesting, and he was likely going to get free clothing out of the deal.

As Bob tried on clothing. He changed his clothes, in a changing room. He then walked out of the changing room, to a set of mirrors outside, with a few cushioned benches being set, across a small from where the mirror were. With Bob standing between the cushions and the mirror.

A Bob stood in the small space, B and Reggie were sitting on the cushions, facing him, as they admired their work.

The first outfit was a classic greaser outfit, with a white t-shirt, black pants, and a black leather outfit.

Bob looked over at B and Reggie, as he admitted, “I already have one of these outfits back home.”

The next outfit was a classic football jock outfit, of a white t-shirt, blue jeans, with a varsity jacket.

Bob said, “I never played football. Though, I know a few people that played the game, that were pretty decent guys.” He thought, 'Most jocks are not mean.'

The next outfit was Han Solo's costume, of a black sleeveless vest over a white shirt, with black pants.

Bob said, “Let's be honest. This place is just not sci-fi enough to pull this look off. And that is something.”

Both Reggie and B lightly laughed, as B agreed, “Yes. It is.”

The next outfit for Bob was Indiana Jones' costume, with light brown button up shirt, dark brown pants, brown leather belt, brown leather jacket, and satchel on the left thigh.

Bob conceded, “I am not manly enough for this outfit. And all three of us known it.”

B looked over at Reggie.

Reggie noticed B looking at him. He turned towards her. He shrugged, as he replied, “It was worth a shot.”

B just let out a laugh.

The next outfit as pirate outfit that would have made Jack Sparrow proud.

Bob said, “I am not crazy enough for this. Though, I love the look. I just cannot figure out where I would go while wearing it.”

The next was a business suit, with business hat that made Bob look like a mobster.

Bob flatly said, “Wearing this, in this city, is just asking for trouble.”

The next was a white button up shirt, brown tie, yellow pants, yellow coat jacket, yellow panama hat, with a monocle on Bob's right eye, that made him look like the man in the Panama Jack Logo.

As Bob looked at himself in the mirror, while he thought, 'Stylish for any time period. Though...” He turned around to face B and Reggie, as he said, “I like the clothing. But, I am just not old enough to pull this look off.”

Reggie commented, “Don't feel bad. Neither am I. Though, I agree. It is a good look, for more elderly gentlemen.”

B said, “Yes. It is.”

The next outfit was a classic black tux.

Bob stated, “I am not going to a wedding.”

The next outfit composed of bright, flowery, hippy clothing.

Bob admitted, “Guys. This is nice for when you are doing drugs. But, not day to day living.”

B agreed, “You got that right.”

B and Reggie then looked at each other, as the burst out laughing for a several seconds.

Next was a brown leisure suit.

Bob commented, “This was tacky when it came out... A century ago.”

Reggie and B just lightly laughed.

Next was bodybuilder look of gym shorts and a tank top.

Bob said, “I am just not beefy enough for it. And we are not doing spandex. That never ends well.”

B and Reggie laughed a little harder.

The next outfit was cliche brown cowboy outfit, complete with a brown cowboy hat. The outfit looked similar to what Groovy Guy Russel wore in the Black Lagoon anime.

Bob looked at Reggie and B. He flatly stated, “No. Just no.”

By then, Reggie and B were laughing their asses off.

The clothing that Bob, Reggie, and B finally decided on for Bob was a brown long sleeved button up shirt, brown pants, brown leather belt, and black boots. And all of it fitted Bob well. And looked good on him.

Along with this, Reggie got Bob some cool sunglasses to wear. The same type of sunglasses as Reggie had on, which Bob liked.

As they went to the cash Bob noticed Reggie paid for the clothing, and sunglasses, with a debit card.

When the clothing was his. Bob went back to the changing room, and put back on his new clothing, with him leaving his old clothing, and shoes, in the shopping bag.

Bob held his shopping back, in his left hand, as he exited the changing room, and he walked over, to joined B and Reggie, in the front of the store, near the exit to the store.

As Bob came to a stop, in front of his friends, looked at himself, in his new clothing, with his new sunglasses over his eyes.

B turned to look at Bob, as she asked, “So, how does your new clothing feel on you?”

Bob looked over at B, as he answered, “The clothes works for me. The style is slightly rugged, but this clothing can be used for casual wear. And the sunglasses are a nice touch.”

B said, “That is the type of clothing you want.”

Reggie commented, “That style never gets old.”

Bob looked at Reggie, as he inquired, “I hope not. So, where did you get the idea to play dress up?”

Reggie answered, “Some of B's friends mentioned they did it to a friend of theirs. Long story. And they were right. It was fun.”

B just smiled wicked, as she said, “I will have to thank them sometime, for the idea.”

Bob conceded, “Yea. I will admit that it is fun.” He thought, 'At least they are polite enough not to make me trying on women's clothing. And I am not going to say a word about that, because, I don't want to give them ideas.'

Reggie said, “Just wait here. I need to top by the hunting department.”

Both B and Bob nodded.

Reggie then walked back into the retail part of the story,.

A few minutes later, Reggie came back, in one hand was some brown string and a closed foldout knife. In the other hand was a medium sized gym bag.

Reggie walked over to the cashier's counter he put the knife, string, and gym bag, on the sales counter. A minute later, he had paid for the items.

He then pocketed the drawstring, picked up the knife his right hand, and the gym bag handle in his left hand.

Next, Reggie walked over to B and Bob.

Reggie came to a stop, in front of B and Bob. He turned to Bob. He held up his right hand, with the knife in it. He said, “I have a knife just like this. It is sharpened to the atomic level. Mine has served me, well for around two decades. This one should do the same for you. If you take care of it. When you don't use this, close it, and put it on the interior side of your right boot.”

Reggie then held out the closed knife for Bob.

Bob took the knife with his right hand, he replied, “Don't worry, I will take care of it, and I will do as you say.”

Reggie cracked a grin, as he stated, “I know you will. Also, the gym bag is for you clothes and old shoes, along with other equipment we will get for you, after we leave here.” Reggie gently set the gym back on the floor, in front of Bob.

Bob replied, “Thank you.”

Bob knelt down, on his left knee, as he set his shopping bag and knife gently down on the floor, as well. He used both hands to roll up his right pants legging, He picked up his closed knife.

He carefully opened it, to make sure he could. He then carefully closed it. After which, he dropped his closed knife, into the interior side of his right boot.

Bob then rolled down his right pants legging.

Next, Bob zipped open the gym bag, put his shopping back into it. And zipped the gym back up.

Bob took the strap to the gym bag, over his right shoulder. He then stood up, and looked at B and Reggie, as he said, “Okay. Let's go.”

Reggie replied, “With pleasure.”

The trio then exited the store.

They walked to the car, which was parked, in the parking lot, right outside of the store.

As they walked, B inquired, “Let me guess. Electronics store?”

Reggie answered, “Yes.”

B responded, “I suggest Jayray's.”

Reggie agreed, “Good idea.”

Bob remained silent, as he thought, 'Oh. An electronics store in the future. This should be interesting. But, then again. Their electronics, in some ways, are advances as the ones in my home reality. Still, it will be an interesting experience.'

When they got to the car, Reggie opened the trunk, so Bob could put his gym bag in there.

A minute later, they were all sitting in the car, as Reggie drove them to their next location.

(_)

Ten minutes later, Reggie parked his car, in a parking lot, by an electronics store.

As they got out, Bob saw the sign above the entrance, with automatic sliding doors, stated, in english, “Jayray's Electronics Store”.

Also, the outside of the building as fairly large.

B, Reggie, and Bob, then walked inside the store.

As the three adults entered the store, one of the sales clerks, a teenage girl, whom Bob guessed was likely a year younger than he was, walked over to greet them. She wore dark blue pants and a dark blue turtle neck shirt, with the name, 'Jayray's', on the right side of her chest, just like Bob's own, 'Gateway to Fantasy', business shirt.

The teenage girl said, in english, “Welcome to Jayray's electronics store. I am Judy. How can I help you?”

Bob thought, 'Deju vu. I hope this girl has a more pleasant day then I did the day Rock walked into the Gateway to Fantasy.'

Reggie stated, “Judy. We are looking for a laptop computer. Top of the line. Deluxe package, included.”

Bob turned to Reggie, as he asked, “Deluxe package?” He then turned back to look at Judy.

Judy looked over at Bob, as she stated, “To answer your question, sir. The laptop we have in mind will including a four way raid solid state hard drive system. Top of the line OS, firewall, anti-virus programs. The OS you will find, with its compatibility mode, will work with software up to ninety years ago.”

Bob thought, 'That OS might actually work with the software I have back home. Because, before the original gate construction, and explosion, our realities ran close to parallel with each other. And that raid array sounds interesting.'

Judy continued, “You will have wireless network options, wireless mouse, power cord, with electrical adapter. The wireless network system has legacy handshake protocols going back to the turn of the last century. And the electrical adapter has both electricity and plug settings, to handle a wide selection of power outlet.”

Bob thought, 'That means that the electrical adapter might work with my power outlets back him. Also, I should be able to surf the internet, back home, with it. Nice.'

Judy went onto say, “The sixteen core multiprocessor, front side bus, and ram are all top of the line. And the laptop can play the latest games at max settings. While LED displays, and audio speakers are old technologies, the quality of those installed in the laptop are top of the line.”

“With the screen is forty-four centimeters wide, and twenty-five centimeters long. Using the sixteen by nine ratio. Along with the video card and screen using the latest in color spectrum technology.”

“And the screen and laptop, uses the latest, in scratch, and damage, resistant materials.”

Bob thought, 'So, I might be able to play my games back home on max settings. Nice. And if my math, from centimeters to inches, is correct, that screen is pretty large for a laptop.'

Judy stated, “Also, you have the usual USB ten standard connectors, along with CD-DVD-Blu-Ray burner-player combo drive. It is old technology, but many people like to watch their grandparents collections sometimes.”

Bob thought, 'Or, they ones I have in my own collection. I am likely this laptop more and more.'

Judy said, “The laptop also uses a top of the line air coolant system, that does not need dusting, and can keep you laptop from getting warm, even when the CPU is being fully used, for extended periods of time.”

“Along with this, our computers are shielded from electromagnetic, microwave, and other energy interference. The battery for the laptop is already fully charged, and has already been tested to to hold a charge for over twenty-four of constant use at a hundred percent CPU and solid state drive usage. And the computer has option power saving, and sleep mode features.”

Bob thought, “So, the laptop has a nice coolant system, is shielded from EMP pulses, and the battery has an insanely charge to it. All of that is nice. And with sleep mode, I won't have to have a problem using this during my journey to Earth.'

Judy mentioned, “And then there is the fictional series package we include.” She then walked over to a set of shelves holding laptops. She pointed to one of the laptops, as she stated, “This is the one I am talking about.”

Bob thought, with amusement, 'She knows how to do a sales pitch. I will give her that. But, let's get to the details she did not mention. And I would like to know what the fictional series package issues. But, I have another question that first needs to be answered.'

Bob walked over to where Judy was standing, by the laptops on display. With B and Reggie following right behind Bob.

As Bob came to a stop, Reggie and B stopped behind him.

Bob turned to Judy, as he asked, “How big is one of the hard drives in the laptop?”

Judy answered, “Each of the four raid solid state drives is a hundred terabytes in size. Each with a good data transfer rate between them, other drives, the motherboard, CPU, Ram, and the top of the line video card installed in your computer. While we do offer up to ten petabyte solid state drives for our tower systems, we have from a hundred terabytes is enough for laptop solid state drives.”

Bob could not help but have his eyes widen slightly, as he stated, “A hundred terabytes will be enough. You also said something about a fictional series package included. What fiction are you talking about?”

Judy answered, “Pretty much all digitized music, anime, manga, comics, movies, TV series, cartoon, magazines, books, software, software games, board games, art, along with other formats and items made during, and before two thousand thirty, uploaded to your solid state raid array. Also, there is an interact program guide for all of content. So you know what material goes with what genres.”

Bob's jaw dropped, as he went, “Huh?”

Reggie requested, “Refresh his memory on the history of public domain material.”

Judy explained, “After the gate explosion, due to the chaos happening. Including having rocks literally raining from the sky, and humanity rushing to get off world, several laws were relaxed, or just discarded.”

“Copyright laws and most patent laws being some of those laws. When survival was more of a day to day concern, people just did not care about the needs of middlemen. So, these laws were ignored.”

“At the same time, there were archivists that did not want to lose all of this art and culture. So they transferred as much as they could to digital format before leaving Earth.”

“When the laws were finally brought back to the issue of copyright, in the twenty forties, it was decided that anything before two thousand thirty was fair game. That is why we offer this to our customers. You can find it all for free on the internet. But, we just already transfer it your solid state drives a lot faster than you can download it.”

Bob collected himself, as he asked, “How much of this will will take up the hard drives?.. I mean solid state drive?... And what is the average files size of this fictional material?”

Judy stated, “Twenty-five terabytes per solid state drive. And compression, and modern codec technology makes files very small. Music and books files are usually the smallest. Comic issues are a little bigger. Video, video games, and software, as usually the largest of these groups. And when it comes to video, that also depends on frame rate, resolution, and quality of the audio. But, the files are already ready and loaded onto your drives.”

Bob did some quick calculations in his head, as he mentally realized, 'I could spend years looking at those files and not even scratch the surface of what is all there. In theory I could end up with just about everything but the Cowboy Bebop anime series and music collection. I have a copies at home of both. I will just rip to the hard drive, when I get back.'

Bob looked at the sales girl, as he said, “I will take the laptop, and the deluxe package.”

Judy just smiled, as she inquired, “Good. Do you want a two year warranty with that?”

Bob stated, “I am heading for Earth. So, I doubt I will make use of it.”

Judy replied, “Okay.”

Bob asked, “Do I need to register, or turn on this computer with a company?”

Judy answered, “No. Everything is ready to go. Stand system start the login in account is already on the screen, which is undercase, admin. With no password. Though, I suggest you add a password and new account name, when you get the chance.”

Bob replied, “I will.”

Judy then went to retrieve the laptop they were getting.

Bob turn around, and looked at Reggie, as he said, “Thanks.”

Reggie replied, “You're welcome.”

Meanwhile, B just stood back and slightly giggled, at the scene playing in front of her.

A few minutes later, the laptop was put into its box, ready to sale, with the deluxe package, peripherals and manual included.

Reggie used his debit card to pay for the laptop and other items.

Bob turned to Reggie, as he said, “I thank you, again, for paying for all this.”

Reggie shrugged, as he responded, “Don't worry about it. We got plenty of money. Honestly the bounty hunting is just to supplement our income.”

Bob replied, “Nice.”

A minute later, as the trio left the store, Bob carried the box with the laptop in it. When they reached the car, Reggie opened up the trunk, and Bob put the box in his gym bag.

Right after Bob was finished in the trunk, Reggie closed the trunk.

They then all got into Reggie's car, in their previous places.

When they were all situated, Reggie stated, “We got two more places to go. Then, we are heading to a bar, to get you a ride to Earth.”

Bob replied, “Cool.”

Reggie then started the car, and they were soon back on the road.

(_)

They soon stop by a pharmacy. B and Bob waited outside, in the car, as Reggie walked in and came right back out a minute later.

(_)

Twenty minutes later, Reggie parked his car in a by an area of town currently be developed.

It was still daylight, as Reggie's car came to a stop.

Reggie put the car in park, and turned off the engine. He then calmly ordered, “Please, exit the car, and follow me.”

They then got out of the car, with B and Bob following Reggie between some destroyed building.

A few minutes later, Reggie lead them to a large hole, shallow hole, with a gentle grade down to the bottom.

Bob saw there was red martian soil showing at the bottom of the hole.

Reggie turned to Bob, as he pulled out a couple of items from his pocket. He handed Bob the items, as he said, “Here.”

Bob took the items, and looked at them. He saw that it was a brown string, about two feet long, a small elongated clear plastic vial, and a small clear plastic screw cap for the vial, which had four loops around the circular part of the lid.

Reggie explained, “I got the vial and cap from the pharmacy. The string is from the clothing store. Bob, everyone needs a memento of their travels. And I figured since you are heading back to Earth, you might want to take a little piece of Mars with you.”

“Don't worry. It is okay. There is nothing illegal about this. The gift shop at the nearby spaceport sales martian rocks, up to the size of american footballs, as tourist gifts for those that leave this planet. Now, go down there, and get your piece of the planet, and make it your necklace.”

Bob said, “Okay.” He then turned around, as he carefully walked down the hole the side of the hole, until he reached the bottom.

When Bob got to the bottom, he took the vial and used it to scoop up red soil until the vial was full of the red dirt. Bob shook the vial lightly to let any air bubble inside escape. He then used his right thumb to wipe off the excess red soil, so the red soil at the top of the vial was flush with the edge. Next, he carefully screwed on the cap of the vial until it was firmly tight, but not too tight. Afterward, he noticed that the cap's width was flush with that of the vial's width.

Bob thought, 'Tying the string to the lid will not be a problem, given those loops.'

Bob looped the string twice around and within the four loops around the cap. And when he was done, he tied the end of the string in a few knots, so it would not come undone.

Finally, Bob put on his new necklace, letting the vial gently fall on top of his shirt, in the upper, middle of his chest.

Bob looked up at Reggie and B, while he smiled. He saw the two older adults returning his.

It took Bob about a minute of careful stepping, to get back up the hole, to where B and Reggie were.

When he got to the top of the hole, and stood up, B suggested, “With that done. Let's go to the bar and have a drink, while we wait for Bob's ride to show.”

Reggie agree, “Great idea, B”

The three adults then headed back for Reggie's car.

(_)

Twenty minutes later, B, Reggie, and Bob walked into the nice, upper scale bar, with Bob carrying his gym bag by its strap, over his right shoulder.

As they walked through the bar, towards the counter, Bob noticed soft jazz, playing at a low volume, in the background.

As they walked inside, Bob noticed that, besides the bartender, B, Reggie, and himself, were the only ones in the bar, at the moment.

Bob thought, 'It must be early for this bar's crowd. Which is fine with me. The last people I deal with, the less danger I am in.'

When they reach the counter, B took the center stool, while Reggie sat to her left, and Bob sat to her right. Bob also set his gym bag on the stool to his right side.

Bob thought, “Since I am looking for a ride here. I might not be able to get back to the car, to get my belongings. So, it is best I take these items with me.'

Bob saw a TV at on the left end of the counter. He also noticed the volume just high enough to listen to from his location. The voices were speaking in english.

By then, the bartender walked up to them, from behind the counter. He asked, in english, “Hi B. Hi Reg. What can I do you for?”

B, Reggie, and Bob, turned to look at the bartender.

B answered, “It is still early. So, a bottle of some decent beer. I'm not picky.”

Reggie replied, “The same. And a beer for this man, with us, as well.”

The bartender looked at Bob, as he stated, “Reg. He is a little young.”

Reggie smiled, as he stated, “You know me. Would I say he deserved a beer, if he didn't earn?”

The bartender replied, “Okay.”

A minute later, all three had a bottle of beer in front of them.

B opened her beer. She turned to Bob, as she asked, “Is this your first beer?”

Bob opened his bottle, as he answered, “No. I have had a few back home?”

B coyly inquired, “And where is that?”

Bob answered, “Earth.”

B said, “So, that is why you want to get to Earth? To return home?”

Bob questioned, “Yes. So, what do we do now?”

B answered, “Now, we wait what for the crew to your ride to show up. I can already guess who Reg picked out. Both Reg and I talked to them last night, and we were both already planning to meet them around this time today. They should be here in about ten to fifteen minutes. Until then, we just watch TV.”

Bob just nodded in response.

Meanwhile, Reggie just enjoyed his beer, as the three of them watched TV.

Bob noticed that the TV bounty hunter show, “Bigshot”, had just come on. And the show was in english.

Bob thought, 'I wonder if Faye and Jet, are watching this show, right now? Still, it is a treat to see this TV show, in the reality it was created in. Besides, I guess I am waiting until my ride gets here.'

(_)

Ten minutes later, Reggie B, and Bob were still watching a recent episode of “Bigshot”, on TV.

Bob thought, 'Well, at least, so far, this episode is not showing any big bounties on Mars. That is good. Or, these two my be tempted to ditch. Though, I doubt they will do that. They have helped me too much to abandon me now, without a ride back to Earth.'

'I get the feeling that both Reggie and B, are both good for their word. If they say they can get me a ride to Earth. They can get me a right to Earth.'

Just then, they heard a man yelled, in excitement, from behind them, towards the entrance to the bar, “Reggie!”

All three turned around, in their stools, with their backs to the bar counter, as they to looked over at the group that had come into the bar, it took all of Bob's strength of will not to freak out at who he saw.

In front of him stood the crew of the spaceship, the Serenity, from the Firefly reality.

Bob saw Mal, Zoe, Inara, Kaylee, Simon, and Jayne. Along with a black haired asian woman, Bob could not identify.

The asian woman was in her mid-twenties, in great shape, wearing just a t-shirt and blue jeans, with a black belt, and black dress boots.

Mal had on his badass brown long coat and his usual clothing. With the others in their usual clothing, as well. And they were all armed with various types of firearms, in holsters, on their persons.

While not showing any emotional signs on the outside, Bob mentally wondered, with concern, 'What the hell are the Serenity crew doing here!? They are not even in the same reality as Cowboy Bebop series! Something is going on here, and I don't know what! Wait a minute. Where is River?!”

Under his shades, Bob used his eyes to look around the bar and he did not see her.

Bob let out a breath of relief, as he thought, 'River must be with their ship. And it is good that River is not here. That telepath could cause me a whole lot of problems. And then there is an asian woman here that I cannot place.'

Reggie got up from his seat and walked over to them, while the Serenity crew walked towards Reggie.

While Reggie walked, he stated, “Jayne! Good to see you.”

Reggie and the Serenity came to a stop, next to each other, in the middle of the bar.

Reggie turned to Jayne, as he extended his right hand.

While Jayne shook Reggie's right hand, with a firm grip, but not tight grip, from both men, Reggie asked, “How are you guys doing?”

A second later, they broke their handshake, as Jayne answered, in english, “We are just stopped by, planetside, to celebrate another great bounty captured.”

Reggie inquired, “Who was it this time? You bounties are always interesting.”

Jayne said, in a happy tone of voice, “We caught a small group of pirates. And since we got them alive, the bounty was extra. So, how about you?”

Reggie responded, “The same. We caught a small fry, and we are just celebrating with a new friend we made. Whom helped us capture the bounty.”

Jayne noticed Bob sitting by B. He looked over at Bob, as his lips curled into a wicked grin. Jayne stated, “Kid. With these two, the must have been one hell of ride for you.”

The Serenity crew, along with Reggie and B laughed, at Jayne's comment for a few seconds.

Bob forced himself to remain calm, as he thought, 'Don't respond. Responding will only create more attention towards myself.'

As the laughter died down, Jayne turned to Reggie, as he asked, “So, how is my favorite drinking buddy?”

Bob thought, 'They are drinking buddies? That must have a hell of a backstory behind that tale. Unfortunately, I am not in the position to ask about that. Nor, will I risk my safety, by doing so.'

Reggie stated, “Doing great. Let me know when you have some free time. I love the wild nights we have when we hit the town together.”

Jayne chuckled, as he replied, “Don't worry. I will give you a call when I have some free time.”

Reggie turned to Mal, as he said, “Captain Reynolds, there is something I need to speak to you about later. A small job for you.”

Mal said, in english, “No problem. You have given us good jobs in the past. Still, I am someday going to find out where you got that coat from.”

Reggie slyly smiled at Mal, as he replied, “You are welcome to try.”

Bob thought, 'While I don't want to attract attention. It is best I ask for introductions now, before I slip up, and accidentally say something about them, in their presence, that I should not know, if I was from this reality. '

'At least I don't think that is the case. It is possible that the Firefly, series and the Serenity movie, were made here. But, it is best not to think about that, right now.'

Bob turned to B, then too Reggie and finally to the Serenity crew, as he calmly asked, “B. Reggie. You know these people?”

Reggie turned to face Bob and B, as he continued to smile. He replied, “I sure do.”

B stopped herself from giggling, as she said, “Yes. I do.”

Reggie turned to the Serenity crew, and back to Bob and B, as he said, “Guys. This is Bob. Someone we met to day, whom helped us out. And we are returning the favor.”

Reggie turned to look at the Serenity crew, as he continued, “Bob. These are my friends from out of town. They are the crew to a cargo ship called the Serenity.”

Reggie used his right hand, to pointed at Mal, as he stated, “That is Captain Malcolm Reynolds. He is the captain of the ship. Mal, would you like to introduce the rest of your crew to my friend here?” He then dropped his right hand to his side.

Mal turned to Reggie, as he cracked a grin. He replied, “Sure.”

Mal turned to his crew, as he used his right hand to point at Zoe. He stated, “This is Zoe. She is my second in command.”

Zoe said, in english, “Hello.”

Mal used his right hand to point at Kaylee, as he stated, “This is Kaylee, the ship's engineer.”

Kaylee said, in english, “Nice to meet you.”

Mal used his right hand to point at Simon, as he stated, “This is Simon, the ship's doctor.”

Simon commented, in english, “I hope you don't need my services.”

Bob thought, 'I hope I don't, as well.'

Mal used his right hand to point Jayne, as he stated, “This is Jayne, the... ship's security chief.”

Jayne looked at Bob, as he grinned wickedly at Mal's comment of him.

Mal used his right hand to point Inara, as he stated, “And this Inara, the ship's... councilor.”

Inara slyly smiled at Mal, as she said, in english, “That will work.”

Bob did not show it on the outside, but inwardly, he was laughing his ass off.

Mal pointed at the asian woman, as he stated, “And this is Daiyu. Her job on my ship is as an ordinary seaman.”

Bob thought, 'Meaning janitor.'

Jayne jumped in, “And she is River's girlfriend.”

Bob mentally wondered, 'What is it that River would see in this woman?... On a related matter, I better ask who River is, before they wonder why I am not asking about someone I shouldn't know.'

Bob quickly asked, “Who is River?”

Mal answered, “She is our pilot.”

Zoe stated, “And she is a little screwy.”

Bob commented, “I am not one to judge.”

Simon stated, “Good.”

Bob thought, 'Why would River be girlfriends with Daiyu? What is is about her? Something about her. She is chinese. Black hair.... The Black Lagoon Boys and Girl omake...'

Bob then realized who Daiyu was, without showing it on the outside, as he continued his thoughts, 'Oh god. It's Chang and no one realizes it. Rico mentioned that Chang willing changed into a woman... Ah. So, Chang has ended up not only River's bitch, but the ship's janitor. Oh, how the mighty have fallen... Still, I better not tell her off that I know who she is, or I will be dead within less than a minute.'

Daiyu turned to Bob, as she said, in a feminine voice, in english, “Nice to meet you.”

Bob swiftly replied, “Nice, to meet you, too.”

Reggie asked, “By the way, where is River?”

Mal answered, “She wanted some quiet and alone time in the ship. And if that girl wants quiet and alone time, I will give her quiet and alone time.”

Bob thought, 'Mal, you are truly a wise man. Now, let's find out about Reggie and B from you guys.'

Bob turned to Jayne, as he asked, “So Jayne, what can you tell me about Reggie and B?”

Jayne answered, “Not much. Met them several months ago. They and Reggie's girlfriend are just nice people. Though, Reggie does have one weakness, in an otherwise perfect badass attitude.”

Bob inquired, “Which is?”

Jayne answered, “He is deathly afraid of being electrocuted. One time, I showed him my taser, and he just backed away very quickly.”

Reggie turned to Jayne, as he admitted, “Electricity and I would not agree well. Besides, everyone has their phobias.'

B giggled.

Jayne replied, “True.”

Mal said, “Okay, everyone. Let's set down and get something to drink.”

Kaylee commented, “You don't have to say that twice.”

Reggie, and the Serenity crew then found some places to sit down, and ordered their drinks from the bartender.

A few minutes later, the bartender delivered their drinks.

Inara and Mal found a small table to set down a have a drink. Inara had a glass of wine, while Mal has a glass of whiskey.

Zoe, Kaylee, Simon, and Jayne got a table, together.

Jayne had a glass of liquor. Kaylee and Simon shared a mixed drink together. And Zoe had a bottle of beer.

Reggie walked back to the bar counter, by B, and Bob, as he sat back in the stool he had been in, before the Serenity crew arrive. With all three of them turning, in their seats, back towards the counter, as they continued to drink on their bottles of beer.

(_)

Meanwhile, Daiyu, aka Chang, sat at a table, by herself, with a bottle of beer to drink.

As she sipped her beer, Chang wondered how her life so quickly went into the toilet. Quite literally.

Chang thought, 'I hate the fact that I cannot try to get drunk, right now.'

'We drove our cars here. With us keeping the cars, in a storage area, by the spaceport, when we came to this planet, to visit Reggie, B, and others we met here.'

'And while I really have nothing against Mars. I could really use a drink right now. But, Zoe just has to elect myself, and herself, as the designated drivers. So, I now don't even have the privilege of having a strong drink. Without causing trouble for myself, with the others.'

'How did I end up like this? And I am not talking about the gender change. I was on top of the multiverse, in more ways then one. I had an army at my command. I was respected. And I only had the finest things around me. I had achieved everything I sought in life. And then that bitch, Rock, wrecked it all!'

'Now, I am the bitch to a psycho lesbian telepath... Though, I cannot complain to much. The sex has been very good. Given a telepath gets more of out it when she pleases her partner, with the telepathy making it easier to do that, it is no fun not knowing what your sexual partner is going to do next is scary.'

'And she even made me donate the gold and treasures, I had brought to this reality, with me, to charity.'

'I remember the night River roped me, in this very bar, as if it was yesterday. She forced me to meet Mal and his crew. Then, she convinced Mal to take me on as the janitor of the ship. If I had refused her and the job, she would have likely exposed me there to the crew, and I would not have made it out of this very bar alive.'

'River wanted me. But, she also wanted me to be useful to her crew. As far as Mal, and the rest of the crew know, I am just River's new girlfriend. And they are happy for me being there, because it makes River happy, and more mentally stable.'

'Though, if I clean one more toilet, or mop another floor, I am actually going to scream, a girlish scream of frustration.'

'And should I try to run, I know she will track me down. She did it once across the multiverse. Compared to that, hopping a few worlds to find me would be child's play for her.'

'I miss Lotton. He was a very competent and loyal second in command. He was also good in bed. I miss the girls. I miss my wardrobe. I miss my alcohol beverages. I miss my fictional collections. I miss my office. My heated indoor pool. And my bedroom, in my Tower.'

As Chang forced herself not to cry, she took another sip of her beer. She then noticed that B had turned her head, and looked over at her for a second. B then turned back around, and she went back to talking to her friends, at the bar counter.

Chang continued her thoughts, 'Occasionally, as I have met Reggie, B, and Reggie's girlfriend, B would sometimes stare at me. She knows that I know that she is staring at me. But, B did not seem to care. And I am not sure why. I asked her once, and she refused to answer me. She said it was not the right time.'

'B is an enigma.'

'And along with B. Reggie is wild, and world class pain in the ass. And Reggie's girlfriend is as crazy as they come. As crazy redheads go, she makes Revy look sane. It is just that she is not violent. But, she is very intelligent. Neither she, B, nor Reggie, has told us her name. I do not ask to many questions. Because I have a feeling I do not want to know the answers.'

'I did ask River about what went in their minds. All River stated was that they had adventurous personalities. I get the feeling she cannot really read their minds. Which I find slightly curious.'

'Though, I dare not dig to deeply into pasts of those three bounty hunters. Because, to make matters worse. It is clear they know who I am. Why else would Reggie have gotten Jayne a copy of the Black Lagoon anime series, with the omakes.'

'When Reggie did that, it almost became a very bad day for me. It is a minor miracle that I have been able to subtly keep Jayne from seeing that forth omake. The Boys and Girls omake. With most of the other crew members not even seeing the series, at all.'

'Though, should the crew see that omake, it is likely all over for me. But, if the copies go missing, I know Reggie will just get Jayne another set.'

'And if Mal and the others ever learn who I am, Mal will likely try to throw me out of the airlock. I can take him, but not the rest of the crew. All at once. Especially unarmed. Though, River stated she would not let them harm me. But, she is crazy, so there is no telling what she will do, should that situation arise.'

'The only thing I got going for me is that I am sure Mal and the others did not bring any reality jumping tech with them. If they did, I would have used it to escape River, and them, by now.'

'Given my longevity, I might be able to out wait them. But, they are long lived people as well... No, finding a reality jump device is my only chance of escape. The only question left is, how and where to find such a device?'

Chang then sipped her bottle of beer some more, as she schemed and planned towards regaining her freedom.

The various conversations, among the groups continued to a little while.

(_)

Around fifteen minutes after the Serenity crew came in, Bob heard a female voice said, “Reggie!”

Reggie, B, and Bob turned around, in their seats, to see a skinny, redheaded woman, with tanned skin.

The red haired woman looked to be in her mid to late twenties. She wore blue jeans, an untucked white t-shirt, and tennis shoes, without socks.

Bob thought, 'She looks like Radical Edward. Only older. Please god, do not let her be Ed's mother.'

Reggie quickly got out of his chair, as the woman ran towards Reggie.

The woman jumped onto Reggie. She rapped her arms over her shoulders, while rapping her legs around his waist, as she kissed him deeply on his lips.

Reggie returned her kiss, while standing, as he rapped his arms around her chest.

Bob watched the display for about a minute, before they broke the kiss.

The skinny woman dropped down her feet.

Reggie turned to Bob, as he said, “Bob, this is my girlfriend... Franny.”

Franny looked at Reggie for a seconds, then she started laughing for a few seconds.

As Franny finished laughing, she looked over at Bob. She licked her lips, while grinning as wicked smile toward Bob. She said, “Bobby looks so scrumptious.”

Reggie looked at Bob, as he smiled. He agreed, “Yes. He does.” He turned to Franny, as he inquired, “So, it is all set?”

Franny looked at Reggie, as she answered, “Right after I got your phone call. I talked to sis-sis. It's all set. She is happy-happy at the opportunity to have some fun-fun after such boredom.”

Bob almost missed it, as Franny slid a large stack of bills from under the back of her pants, and into an inside pocket of Reggie's long coat.

Bob choose to remain silent on the matter, as he thought, 'Now, that is an excellent slide of hand. She may talk funny, but with a move like that, she is likely very sharp. Her talking in that strange manner might even just be an act. I will have to be on my toes around her.'

Reggie replied, “Good. So, let's get a beer.”

Franny's smile widened, as she said, “Absolutely.”

Franny then follow Reggie to the bar counter, as she sat to Reggie's left side at the counter. With B to Reggie's right side. And Bob to B's right side.

Franny then got a bottle of beer from the bartender.

Franny opened her bottle and took a sip, she then turned to Bob, as she asked, “So-so Bob, what your story?”

Bob looked down at the counter in front of him, as he quietly said, “I just want to go Earth.” He thought, 'If I say any more, I risk giving myself away.'

Franny replied, “We will see what we can do.” She turned to B, a she inquired, “B, how was your day?”

B turned to Franny, as she answered, “Well... Franny... Reg and I spent the morning tracking down a bounty. Which Bob here helped us capture. And then we spent the afternoon, having fun with Bob.”

Franny smiled at B, as she requested, “Please-please. Tell me all about it.”

B returned Franny's smile, as she said, “With pleasure.”

B and Franny talked as Reggie quietly listened, with Reggie mentioning a few things during their conversation. While Bob remained silent, as he had his sipped his beer.

(_)

Ten minutes later, after Reggie, B, and Bob had another bottle of beer, and Franny was finishing her first bottle, Mal got up from the table he was sharing with Inara. Mal then walked over to the counter.

When Mal reached the four adults at the bar counter, he lightly tapped Reggie on his left shoulder.

Reggie turned around, from his left side, as he looked at Mal. Reggie nodded. He then got up and walked over to where Bob was sitting.

Reggie turned to Bob, as he ordered, in a calm tone of voice, “Bob, follow me.”

Bob looked over at Reggie and Mal. He said nothing, as he got of his seat.

Mal, Reggie, and Bob then left B and Franny at the counter, as Reggie and Bob followed Mal to a table, in a corner of the bar, away from everyone else.

Mal sat in the chair with his back to the corner, as he turned to look at Reggie and Bob, approaching him.

Meanwhile, as Bob and Reggie approached the table, Mal said, “Sit down. The both of you.”

Bob did sat down in a chair across from Mal, with Reggie sitting in a chair by Bob, to his right side.

Mal looked over at Reggie, then to Bob, as he calmly stated, “Reggie says you need some help.”

Bob looked answered, “Yes. I need to get from here on Mars to Earth in...” He checked his digital wrist watch, on his left wrist. He looked back at Mal, as he continued, “In around forty-four hours.”

Reggie stated, “It's a comet run, Mal.”

Bob turned to Reggie, as he asked, “A what?”

Reggie looked over at Bob, as he answered, “It is like that cannonball race, in the old Unites States. From one shore to the other shore, as fast a possible.”

Bob replied, “Yea. Yea. I have seen all three movies, and the Gumball Rally movie. They were all entertaining.” He turned to Mal, as he asked, “So, it is possible to get to Earth, from here, that quickly?”

Mal answered, “Yes. We can get you there, in that amount of time. With the gate system, it is around twenty-four hours to Earth. With your feet on the ground, with plenty of time to spare.”

Bob let out a breath of relief, as he thought, 'I'm saved.'

Mal then mentioned, “But, it is not going to be cheap.”

Bob emotionally deflated, in front of the to men.

Reggie noticed this, as he stated, in a confident tone of voice, “Don't worry, Bob. I will pay for it.”

Reggie then pulled out large stack of woolong dollar bills, from an interior pocket in his coat. He then set the bills onto the table, as he said, “This should cover his bill, Mal.”

Bob thought, 'That is the stack of bills that Franny slipped into Reggie's coat. Those two were planning this very the beginning. Not that I am going to complain about the situation. At this point. I will take any ride to Earth that I can get.'

Mal picked up the stack of money. And he counted it. After he finished counting the bills, he kept the bills in his hand, as he looked at Reggie and Bob. He said, “This will cover it, Reggie.” Mal pocketed the bills into his coat, as turned he turned his attention to Bob. He asked, “So, where exactly, on Earth, do to you want to go? And when do you want to leave.”

Bob responded, “If you could drop me off in the ruins of Aspen, Colorado, of the old United States, that would make me very happy. And I would like to leave as soon as possible. ”

Mal replied, “Fair enough. Give my crew another fifteen more minutes. Then, will we will leave.”

Bob said, “Works for me. Your the captain.”

Mal smirked, as he stated, “Exactly. One more question. Do you have any weapons on yourself?”

Bob asked, “Does a small knife, and nail clippers, count?”

Mal replied, “No.”

Bob commented, “Then, I guess my answer is, no.”

Mal said, “Good. Now, I would like to continue my drink with my friend. While I am sure you would like to spend some time with your friends.”

Reggie agreed, “That is a good idea.”

Bob chose to remain silent, as the three of them got up from the table. Mal went back to be with Inara, while Reggie and Bob went back to join B and Franny.

(_)

Fifteen minutes later, Mal and Inara got up from their seat. Inara walked over to Kaylee, Zoe, Simon, and Jayne's table. Half a minute later, they got up. Inara then headed for where Daiyu was sitting.

At the same time, Mal walked over to the counter, where Franny, Reggie, B, and Bob were.

Mal lightly tapped Bob on his left shoulder.

Bob turned to his left, to looked over at Mal.

Mal said, “Time to go.”

Bob requested, “Thank you, Captain Reynolds. Can you please give me a few moments to say goodbye?”

Mal replied, “No problem.”

Mal then turned, and walked over to the cash registered on the part of the bar counter, to the right side of Bob, to pay the bartender for his and his crew's drinks. Afterward, he walked towards his crew, whom was waiting for him.

Meanwhile, Bob got up from his seat, he looked over at B, Franny, and Reggie. He said, “Well guys it was fun.”

He then extended his right hand.

B was the first to shake Bob's hand, as she said, “Yes. It was. I wish you the best of luck.”

Bob replied, “Thank you, B.”

Reggie was the next to shake Bob's hand, as he stated, “Good luck, Bob. You are going to need it.”

Bob replied, “I believe you are right, Reg.”

Franny then shook Bob's hand, as she commented, “I wish I had more time to meet you.”

As she let go of Bob's hand, Bob said, “I do too. I hope to see you guys again, some time. But, I doubt it. So, goodbye.”

Reggie cracked a grin, as he stated, “Oh, don't be so doubtful. I am sure we will meet again.”

B and Franny slightly giggled at Reggie's comment.

B then stated, “I am with Reg on this. Have a little faith. Something Reg taught me. Because, I looked forward to see you again.”

Franny said, “Yep. Yep. See you, Bobby.”

Bob smiled at them. He then turned around, and he grabbed his gym bag. He slung the strap of the gym bag over his right shoulder. Next, he turned, and head to over meet with the Serenity crew, across the room, at the entrance door to the bar.

As B, Franny, and Reggie turned, and they watched the group of adults leave the bar, for the parking lot outside the front of the bar, Reggie stated, “This has got to be the weirdest day of my life.”

B said, “This is third weirdest for me. But, I can see how this could be your weirdest day.”

Franny giggled. She then said, “We really have lead interesting lives. And Bob is going to have one hell of life.”

Reggie agreed, “You got that right. So, what do you two one to do now?”

B suggested, “Does a steak dinner sound okay.”

Franny replied, “Works for me.”

Reggie shrugged, while he smiled. He said, “Then, let us go get something to eat.”

They then got up from their seats.

Next, Reggie used his debit card to pay for drinks, and they then headed out of the bar, and to their car, to go to a steakhouse for some dinner.

By the time they had exited the bar, Bob and the Serenity crew had already left in their own vehicles.

(_)

It did not take long for Bob and the Serenity crew to get into the Serenity crew's cars, and heard onto the road, to a nearby spaceport.

The Serenity crew drove their their cars from the bar, to the carport, by the spaceport.

And it has taken then thirty minutes to get back to the spaceport.

Both cars were just simple, four door, standard mid class cars.

Zoe drove one car, with Mal, Inara, and Bob as passengers. With Bob having to put his gym bag in the trunk of the car. Bob choosing to remain silent during the trip to the spaceport.

Daiyu drove the other car, with Kaylee, Simon, and Jayne as passengers.

When the reached the spaceport, they parked the cars in carport they rented for their vehicles.

After they got out of the cars, Bob retrieve his gym bag from the trunk of the car he road in. With Bob carrying his gym back by the strap on his right shoulder. Bob then followed the others through the spaceport. With Mal taking point, in their walk.

Bob used his wrist watch to time himself. And he found that it took another twenty minutes for them to walk through the spaceport, onto the tarmac, to a section of the tarmac with hangers, on the side of the runways, where the spaceport building itself was.

As they entered the hanger where the Serenity ship was parked at, Bob saw that large hanger doors, facing the runways, were open. With the front of the Serenity ship already pointed out of the hanger, towards the runway.

When they reached the crew's cargo ship, Bob looked at the front of Serenity ship, as he carried his gym bag.

Mal came to a stop, in front of the Serenity, with his crew, and Bob stopping, beside him.

Mal looked up at his ship, as he said, “I know she doesn't looked like much. She has got it where it counts.”

Bob looked over at Mal, as he stated, “Captain Reynolds. I trust you, that I will be fine in the journey I take in this ship.”

Mal turned to Bob, as he replied, “Thank you.”

Bob requested, “And can I have permission to board your ship?”

Mal cracked a grin, as he said, “Granted.”

Bob thought, 'Asking the captain of the ship, for permission to board, is standard curiosity. And I am going to do everything in my power to stay in the good graces of my hosts, during this trip.'

'Also, as long as I keep my mouth shut and avoid River, I should be fine. But, as a precaution, I will just clear my mind, and I will try not to think about anything. Sci-fi books tend to state that reading a blank mind is tricky. Even for a trained telepath. I see no reason the same rules cannot be applied to River. And she is untrained. So, I have that going for me... I just go with the flow, and not think about anything...'

'I am so happy I read that book on meditation and clearing my mind, years ago. As such, clearing my mind should not be that difficult to do.'

The Serenity Crew and Bob then headed inside the ship, from the large, back cargo hatch.

Mal opened the hatch from an outside control panel, on the back of the ship. with using him a password on a numerical pad.

After the hatch lowered down on to the floor of the hanger, Bob politely waited for the crew to first enter the ship.

Mal turned to Bob, as he said, “Come on.”

Bob entered the ship. With Mal being the last on board. He then close the cargo hatch, from the inside.

(_)

Ten minutes later, after the crew gave Bob a brief tour of where the sleeping quarters were, the washroom, and the restrooms were, as they passed by those areas. With them pointing out which bunk Bob was assigned too.

They soon all ended up in the common area.

The room was comfortably illuminated, by the ceiling lights.

Bob watched as the members either stood around, or went to sit down in chairs and couches, in the room.

Bob saw there was a large TV monitor mounted on the wall. With the TV hooked to a video disc player, and some game systems, below the TV. The video disc player and game systems, were set on a cabinet, mounted to the floor. With the cabinet doors being open, with various video discs and video games, set in the shelves of the cabinet.

There were also couches and chairs surrounding the TV and entertainment center.

As Bob continued to stand, he cleared his mind, as he forced himself not to think about the entertainment center, with the electronics, and furniture, that composed the entertainment center, being new additions to the Serenity ship.

Jayne approached Bob, as he offered, “We can put away you luggage, if you like.”

Bob turned to Jayne, as he smiled at the older man. He complimented, “Thank you. But, I am only going to be here for a short time. And I do not wish to inconvenience you.”

Jayne shrugged, as he replied, “Okay” He then went to sit down in a chair.

Nearby, as Inara and Zoe sat in chairs, beside each other, they turned to look over Bob and Jayne's exchange.

Inara commented, “Someone taught that boy some manners.”

Zoe just nodded in agreement.

A second later, a redheaded snuck up, from behind Bob. She the duck around, to face Bob.

Bob continued to blank his mind, as he sat River, with River looking back at him, in his eyes for a few seconds.

River said, “Hi. You are slippery. Who are you?”

While temporally cutting himself off from his memories, he answered, “Bob. And you are?”

The redhead answered, “River. Nice to meet you.”

Bob replied, “Likewise.”

A second later, River walked away from Bob, and towards where Mal was standing.

Bob continued to relax, he kept his clear his mind, as he lower his gym bag, and sat the bag in an empty chair by him.

Bob then noticed that Daiyu was sitting in a chair nearby.

Meanwhile, Mal looked at River, with a literal unspoken question.

River answered, “He is clear as crystal.”

Mal inquired, “Meaning?”

River answered, “No thoughts, but stray thoughts of home. And home is Earth for him.”

Mal asked, “Is he a threat?”

River replied, “No.”

Mal responded, “Thank you. Is the ship ready for take off?”

River said, “Yep.”

Mal stated, “Good. We are taking off now.”

Mal looked over at Kaylee, whom was still standing, as he inquired, “Kaylee, we are ready for take off?”

Kaylee turned to Mal. She nodded, as she answered “Yes. Captain. I already refueled the ship, and checked her over, when we first landed.”

Mal replied, “Good.”

Kaylee looked over at Simon, for a moment, with Simon was sitting in a chair. They shared a smile. Kaylee then headed for the engine room.

Mal turned to River, as he said, “River. You are with me.”

Mal and River then headed for the cockpit.

A minute after River, Mal, and Kaylee left, Bob let his mind finally roam.

Bob thought, 'That was close. With luck, as pilot, she will spend most of her time in the cockpit. But, I must clear my mind as much as possible during this trip. My one concern is sleeping during this trip. I will just hope I will not divulge anything during my sleep.'

'Though, I do wonder why River's hair is red, instead of brown. Now, that I care at the moment. She just likely decided to start dying it red. And red looks good on. She is insane, after all. Besides, that type of question could get me killed here. Because it would show I know more about what is going on, than I should.'

'As such, I need to find a place to sit down, and quietly wait for take off.'

Bob then sat in a chair, by the chair he put his gym bag in.

A few of minutes later, the ship started to rumble, as the engines came online.

A minute later, from the suddenly thrust forward, Bob could tell they were in the air, flying towards space.

Bob just remained calmed in his seat, as he patiently waited for the all, clear that they were in space.

(_)

Twenty minutes later, Bob could feel that they had made it to orbit, as the artificial gravity of the ship kick in, and the gravity became slightly heavily, and closer to Earth standard.

Inara turned to Bob, as she calmly said, “Bob. We have reached orbit. It is not save to get out of your seat.”

Bob turned to Inara and Zoe, as he replied, “Thank you.” He thought, 'She has probably done this so many times, she knows when it is okay to get out of one's seat, in this ship.

Zoe asked, “Is this your first time in space?”

Bob lied, “Of course not. It is my second time.” He though, 'If I answered, yes. Then, the next logical question would be how I got to Mars from Earth, without going through space? And given how sharp these people are, I would be had.'

Inara replied, “Well, you handled yourself well.”

Bob replied, “I appreciate that.”

Bob turned to look at the wall in front of him, as he thought, with mild annoyance, 'Still, this is my first time in space, and I need to stay in here, in my seat. If I can. Wondering around this ship. With this crew. To find a good sized window, to look out at the Martian surface, from space. Is a very bad idea... And that figures. And I know better than to try to take pictures and videos of this crew. So, that is out. Let's find out what they plan to to do for entertainment during the trip.'

Bob turn to Jayne, as he asked, “Jayne. Could you please inform me of what type of entertainment you provide for passengers?”

Jayne turned to Bob, as he answered, “The occasional poker game, and some inflight movies.”

Bob responded, “I do not have the money for the poker game. But, the inflight movies sound nice.”

Jayne replied, “Cool. I know just the series we can start with. Do you like classic anime?”

Bob raised an eyebrow, as he replied, “It depends on what you are talking about.”

Jayne stated, “It is a anime series that Reggie got me. The title is, Black Lagoon. It is a pretty good action series. And you could say we had some interesting views on it.”

Bob noticed that Zoe frown at Jayne, and Jayne immediately shut up.

At the same time, from the corner of his eye, Bob noticed Daiyu shifting uncomfortably in her chair.

Bob thought, 'So, they are somehow connected to Rock and her group. Interesting. And watching that series with one of the characters of that series beside me should be entertaining... This is going to be fun. Still, I will have to mind my thoughts with a telepath here. While I am also careful not to get myself to anyone. Including, Chang.'

Bob responded, “I looked forward to watching the series, Jayne. So, when will we start this watching this series?”

Jayne said, “As soon as we get to through the hyperspace gate. I will pull out the video discs from their cases. And we will watch.”

Bob replied, “Okay.”

Inara suggested, “Though, first. Let us get something to eat.”

Zoe said, “I agree. Some food would be good.”

Inara got up, and walked to Daiyu, as she requested, “Daiyu. Will you help me fix some dinner?”

Daiyu looked up at Inara, as she casual replied, “Sure.” She then got up from her chair, and went to the kitchen, with Inara.

Bob leaned back in his chair.

Jayne asked, “So Bob, the captain said that Reg is paying us to take you to get to Earth?”

Bob turned to Jayne, as he answered, “Yes. I just need to get there as soon as possible.”

Zoe asked, with suspicion evident in her tone of voice, “Why such the rush? You are not transporting anything illegal? Are you?”

Bob took offense to Zoe accusation. He go up from his chair, picked up his gym bag, from the chair beside him, and walked over to Zoe.

Bob then hand Zoe the gym bag, as he requested, “Go head, Zoe. Please search it. All you are going to find in it is a set of clothes, a pair of shoes, and a laptop that is still in its box, that Reggie and B bought for me.”

Bob then watched as Zoe unzipped his gym bag and searched the bag.

Bob back away, as he turned to face Zoe, Simon, and Jayne. He said, “And the only thing you will find on my person are nail clippers, a handkerchief, some car keys, small knife. With your captain said it was okay for me to kept my knife and nail clippers.”

“I also have a small video recorder device that is set to sleep mode, and a small TV remote. Long story on the last one.” Bob mentally added, 'I will neglect to mention my wallet, given my driver's license, in my wallet, has the real date of my birthday on it.'

As Zoe finished searching Bob's gym bag, she looked up, with surprised showing on her face. She looked at Bob, as she said, with a bit of humility in her tone of voice, “I apologize for suggesting something of you that wasn't true.” She turned to Jayne and Simon, as she stated, “He is clean.”

Simon said, “That is good to hear.”

Jayne replied, “I thought so. Reg and B would not trust someone that is not on the level.”

Zoe handed zipped closed the gym bag.

Bob then walked us to Zoe and gently took the back from her. As soon as the bag was out of her hands, she inquired, “Still, why the rush?”

As Bob took the bag and headed back to his seat, he answered, “The location is a transit point to get to where I am going. And I need to return on a schedule.” He thought, 'That is actually a very honest answer. I just do mentioned that the transit point is between realities.'

Bob turned around to set in his chair, with his bag set in the empty chair next to him.

Bob saw Zoe nod, as she replied, “I see what you're saying.”

Bob thought, 'No, you don't. But, it is close enough for everyone's sake.'

Jayne asked, “What is with the vial?”

Bob said, “It is a memento of Mars. The vial has martian soil in it.”

Jayne complimented, “Not a bad idea.”

Simon commented, “It is always nice to have a keepsake of your travels.”

Bob replied, “I agree.”

There was an unease silence for the next few minutes, between everyone, as they waited for the ship to reach the hyperspace gate, they would use to get to Earth.

(_)

A few minutes later, they all heard on the speakers, Mal announced, “This is your captain speaking. We are about to enter the hyperspace gate. Please, prepare for the slight bump between normal space and hyperspace.”

Bob thought, 'Reaching orbit is likely an old hat for them. That is why Mal did not mention it, when we reached orbit. But, jumping to hyperspace is not. So, Mal is going to warn everyone, before he has his ship enter one of the gates.

A few seconds later, they all felt a slight bump, like a car rolling over a very small speed bump.

Mal then stated, through the speaker system, “This is your captain. We have now safely entered hyperspace. Please, resume what you were doing.”

Bob thought, 'So, this is hyperspace. It doesn't feel any more different than normal space.”

Just then, Inara walked into the common area, from the upstairs area, of the ship.

Zoe, Jayne, Simon, and Bob turned to face Inara, as Inara said, “Dinner is served.

Bob looked at his watch for a moment. It stated, “42:28:32 “

Bob then got up from his chair, as he left his gym bag behind, while followed the crew to the dinning room.

While Bob walked, he thought, 'Twenty-four hours, with these people. Doable. I just got to play it cool, and I should be fine.'

(_)

When they reached to the dining room, Bob saw plates, utensils, cloth napkins, and glasses set at the dinning table.

In the center of the table were pitchers of milk and orange juice, along with bowls and plates of food. In the bowls were scrambled eggs, grits, hash browns, and on the plate was buttered toast.

Also, there was a small saucer of butter, a salt shaker, and a black pepper shaker.

Bob noticed that everyone had come to dining room, except for Kaylee and River.

Bob waited for everyone to sit, before he took a seat.

A few seconds after Bob sat down, in a chair, on the right side of the table, he noticed that everyone had bowed their headed, at the table.

Jayne said grace, “Dear lord. Thank you for the many opportunities and second chances you presented us. We have done our best to make good on your gifts, and now we ask that you bless this meal, and offer us a safe journey to Earth. Amen.”

Everyone then began passing around the containers of food and drink, so everyone could serve themselves.

After everyone's plates were served, and glasses poured, Bob took his table cloth, and put it on his lap.

Bob then wait until everyone else had started eating, before he took his first bite of food. After Inara took the first bite, everyone, including Bob, began eating.

Though, none of them spoke of it, Bob's table good table manners did not go unnoticed.

The next few minutes were filled with light conversation from the crew, with Bob quietly listening, as he ate his meals.

Inara looked over at Bob, whom was sitting across the table, to her left side. She calmly stated, “I hope this simple meal is okay with you, Bob.”

Bob was in the middle of sipping his glass orange juice, when Inara spoke to him.

Bob set his glass back on the table, as he looked over at Inara. Bob smiled at her, as he said, “This is a lovely meal, Inara. You and Daiyu did a wonderful job. It reminds me of cooking my family and I fix at home.”

Inara returned the smile, as she replied, “Thank you.”

Bob also saw Daiyu give him a smile, for his compliment towards her, and Inara.

Bob turned to Mal, as he inquired, “Captain Reynolds. Will Kaylee and River be joining us for dinner?”

Mal answered, “No. We have found it unwise to leave the cockpit on autopilot, while in hyperspace. And Kaylee needed to check something with the engines. She said something seemed off... But, that it was to nothing worry about.”

Bob replied, “I will defer to your judge. I am sure your engineer will find out what the problem is, soon enough. I just hope that the pilot will not be in the cockpit for the entire time of the trip.”

Jayne spoke up, “Not to worry. I slept earlier today. So, in about six hours, or so, I will be relieving River at the cockpit. So, she can get relax, and get some rest.”

Bob thought, 'I almost forgot that Jayne is a decent pilot. And outside of hitting the wall, it is hard to screw up flying in a hyperspace gate. The pilot is just going in single direction. With a minor curvature. Given gravitational and spacial physics. In other words, space curves. There are no such thing as a straight line.'

Simon turned to Inara, as he inquired, “Speaking of River and Kaylee. Inara, after dinner, is it okay if I make make plates for River and Kaylee?”

Inara turned turn to Simon, as she answered, “Most certainly, Simon.”

Zoe asked, “So, Bob. What is is like to live underground most of the time?”

Bob answered, “I guess it would be like living on a ship, Only with fewer windows. And you don't have to worry about hitting anything.”

Bob's joke caused the group to lightly laugh.

Simon questioned, “I was wondering, Bob. What is the average lifespan for those that live on Earth?”

Bob answered, “Barring accident, disease, or a rock falling on you, the average lifespan is seventy-two years.”

Mal commented, “Hmm. That short.”

Bob said, “A person can do a lot in seventy-two years.”

Mal agreed, “True.”

Bob stated, “I personally know people that have lived to over a century. I take it you lot can live longer than that.”

Inara answered, “Yes.”

Mal interrupted, “Just good genes.”

Bob calmly replied, “I bet.” Bob thought, 'You lot are playing a dangerous game. I need to change the subject, or you might divulge something to me that will cause you to kill me, to keep secret.'

Bob looked over at Daiyu, as he asked her, “How did you end up here?”

Daiyu flatly replied, “Long story short. Met a girl. Though, the people here are fun.” Daiyu then asked, in a more thoughtful manner, “So Bob, how did you end up on Mars in the first place.”

Bob casually answered, “Let's just say I had plans on traveling. And those plans got a little out of hand.”

Bob's commented causing a few fits of giggles from the ship's crew.

Bob thought, 'Good. Keeping them happy with increase my luck on this journey.'

The rest of the dinner was an uneventful affair, with some light conversation.

Around thirty minutes later, the dinner was over, with Simon fixing two plates, for River and Kaylee. Then Inara and Daiyu collected the plates and food, while Simon, Jayne, Zoe, Mal, and Bob headed back for the common area.

When they arrived in the common area, they sat down in the chairs and couches by he large TV monitor, as Jayne pulled out his Black Lagoon video collection.

They waiting a few more minutes for Inara and Daiyu to finish up, and join them.

As soon as the two women joined them, and sat down, Jayne said, “We don't have time right now to see all of the series. But, I picked out some of the best, and least messed up storylines.”

Bob played dumb, as he asked, “So, what is the entire series like? What is it about? You said that some of the storylines are missed up.”

Jayne answered, “Well, I have seen everything, but the omakes that Bob gave me...”

From the corner of his eye, Bob noticed Daiyu visibly tense. Bob thought, 'Figures she would tense over the omakes being mentioned. It also confirms that the Serenity crew, save for obviously River, don't know that Daiyu is Chang. Also, this confirmed what Rico told me. Chang has even seen her series and the omakes. Which why she is so flinched at the mention of the omakes. She knows about the Boys and Girls omake.'

Jayne continued, “But, I intend to watch those, eventually. It is a good action series. All of the episodes I have seen are good. But, a few of the episodes have some really intense downer endings. It explains a lot about some of the characters.”

Inara asked, “Since the rest of us haven't see the series yet, what are we watching first?”

Jayne stated, “The first two episodes. Don't worry, you won't be lost, for the most part. Just give me a moment. I will set the discs to english dub.”

Bob thought, 'Good idea. I have a feeling. That unlike myself. Most of the people in this room don't have patience to read subtitles.'

Jayne then inserted the first disc in the player, and then walked back to his chair, with the remote. He soon set the dics to play in english, with the english dialogue subtitles turned off.

The first episode started, with the opening and the music in the opening.

Bob frond the speakers on the TV provided plenty of sound quality, at a comfortable volume, for his tastes.

Simon commented, “The music has a nice beat to it.”

From the corner of his eye, Bob noticed that Daiyu smiled, ever so slightly.

Then, the actual episode started, the characters on screen spoke in english.

After the bar fight scene, Jayne commented, “You got to admit. As hot as she is, that Revy is crazy.”

Bob spoke up, “My father one time told me that redheads are nothing but trouble.”

Mal responded, “Your father is a wise man.”

Bob replied, “I know.”

Bob looked over at Daiyu.

Daiyu noticed him, as she stated, “No arguments from me.” She winked, as she added, “Though, I like trouble.”

Bob shook his head, as he lightly chuckled.

Simon commented, “Thought, that isn't my sister's natural hair color. Her natural color is brown. She just started dying a little under a year ago.”

Bob turned to look at Simon, as he thought, 'Okay. That answers that question. Still...' He said, “That rule still applies.”

Simon stated, “Oh. I agree with you one that.”

Bob and the other chuckled a little, as they turned back to look at the TV.

Simon also looked at the TV, as he thought, 'Though, given we had been on the run for so long. I am surprised, with her long hair, she did not dye her hair soon. But, that was likely because she was still very catatonic. And any changes to her daily schedule, or day to day environment, would likely have cause her problems.'

'Such as Book showing his afro hair. Which he usually pulls back to ponytail. That minor change freaked River all. And Book came to talk to me about it, soon after. I told he not to worry about it. That it is just another problem that River has to slowly has to learn to deal with.'

'Book agreed with me. Damn I miss him. He was the only person on this ship, that I could hold a civilized conversation with, with worrying that our conversation would devolve into a fistfight.'

'And for those steal with traumas, changing one's hair style, or hair color, is a sign the person is trying to move on with their life. Which is a good sign for River.'

'Along with that, after the operative, and what she had locked in her mind, about Miranda, coming out to the forefront, has also help River as well. It is like that barrier that had been there for so long, that prevented me from helping her, and her helping herself, is finally left. And the healing can finally began.'

'Still, this is a small conciliation to all those that were killed by the Alliance, in their search for River. Including Book and Wash. And not just those mass-murdered on that operative's orders. But, that others that have been murdered along the way, to try to get her.'

'I am happy we are gone from our home reality. We are finally beyond the reach of those that can harm us. Especially, the Alliance. We can actually let out guard down, and be people for one. And not outlaws on the run.'

'We are finally free.'

'I would throw party on the matter, if doing so was not in bad taste.'

'I mean, if we wanted too, any one of us could just settle down and have a life here. Have a family. Outside of the Serenity. If we wanted to. Not that we are going too. The Serenity is now our home. And the crew our friends.'

'And I really have a good relationship going with Kaylee, as my girlfriend. And I, her boyfriend.'

'Kaylee is a very caring and loving woman.'

'Though, due to my being a gentleman, I won't say this out loud, to any of the crew members, but Kaylee. But, the sex with her has been marvelous. And we are both so open with each other, in trying to please the other, as we make love.'

'I consider myself very fortunate to be with her.'

'Though, we use protection, not to get her pregnant. We both still have enough problems, that we do not need a child, right now.

Simon looked over at Daiyu, as he continued his thoughts, 'And on the matter of relationships. While, I stayed silent at the time, for the sake of my sister. At first, I was against bringing Daiyu aboard the ship, and letting Daiyu date River, for concern out of Daiyu's welfare.'

'Still, it seems that River and Daiyu have had a good relationship. And that relationship has done wonders for River's mental health. She has a ways to go, but she is slowly making it to being fully recovered.'

'There were points in this journey, that I thought I would never live to see that day that River would start to go back to acting like my sister, and not just a reclusive wildwoman.'

'River is moving on from what was done to her, by the Alliance government, and that makes me very happy.'

'Also, she hasn't had any catatonic relapses, since we left Miranda. And after that battle with the reavers on Mister Universe's Moon, I believe she has worked out a lot of issues that were weighting her down.'

'Due her improvement, I have started to taper down the medication I give her. And there has been no ill effects from doing so. And that brings me joy.'

'Also, it is fortunate that I can find most of the medications I give her, here. And those that I cannot, are the medications that she can already do without.

'At this rate, she will not need any medications in a few years.'

'Though, when River is ready. She will need to find someone to help her control her telepthy better. But, that is for later. Right now, I am with the process she has made so far.'

'Still, speaking of the telepathy. I better stop psychoanalyzing her. She can read my mind. And she does not like it when I do that. And she only tolerates me doing so, as long as it only concerns her immediate health and wellbeing.'

Simon looked around the room, as he continued his thoughts, 'Though, I am looking into possible mental exercises that might help block my thoughts, from her telepathy. And I plan to talk to Rock, on this matter, the next time she comes to visit us.'

'Also, Rock knows better than to just drop in on the Serenity. She knows which bars we go to, across the system. Last time she came, we gave her a list of those bars we liked here. And there locations. So, she just comes to this reality, calls us up. To let us know she is in this reality. And she then meets us at the closest bar we go to, and we all find a private place to talk.'

'And this arrangement, seems to work out well. Though, Mal is not happy we were not allowed to have a reality device of our own. Still, we got so much in return, including the opportunity for a new life here. Along with plenty of gold and other treasures, placed in the Serenity, to get us started. That Mal could not complain too loudly on that matter.

'And Mal realized that. He only a grumbled a little Rock and her friends not letting us having a reality device. Which given our past. I can understand why Rock did not want to let us have access to reality traveling technology.'

'But, other than that, Mal graciously accepted the situation, that Rock offered. With us now finding ourselves living in this reality. And we are presently do very well for ourselves. As it is.'

'Now, I better go back to watching this episode, someone noticed I am not watching the TV.'

Simon then turned back to the TV, has he joined the rest of the room, in watching the rest of the first Black Lagoon episode.

Soon after, the ending to the episode started playing.

Inara commented, “That is sad melody.”

After the preview, the second episode started.

After the episode finished the scene of chicken between the attack helicopter and the torpedo boat, with boat winning, Mal admitted, “That Rock can be a creative badass.”

After the episode ended, Jayne stopped the disc, as he stated, “The next episode I am going to show is episode seven.”

A few seconds later, Jayne swapped discs and the seventh episode started.

When the episode showed Balalaika editing porn, with Revy and Rock present, there was cries of laughter from everyone, but Bob noted that Daiyu laughed that hardest.

Bob thought, 'It makes sense that Chang would get the most out of that scene.'

A few minutes later, the episode reached its climax, with Rock calling Revy out for her attitude, while Revy had a loaded gun pointed at Rock's face.

Just as scene concluded, with Rock pushing Revy's gun away from his face, right before Revy fired it. With Rock snatching Revy's pistol from her right hand, and throwing it to the ground. Then, Rock taking a punch to the face by Revy, without reacting to the blow. Except for grabbing Revy's right wrist, while he continued to verbally tear her down.

Simon stated, “It takes real guts to stare down a crazy woman like that, and called her out for their attitude.”

Jayne commented, “You would know, Simon.”

Simon chuckled for a few seconds. He then replied, “Yes. I would.”

The next episode soon started, which introduced Roberta and Garcia.

The episode ended and the ninth episode began.

After Revy made a comment of wanting a shotgun umbrella for Christmas on the screen, Zoe stated, “You know. That would make a nice gift. I have a few dresses that weapon would go well with.” She joke. “It is so hard to accessorize.”

Inara was the only one to giggle, as she said, “It might be worth getting you that weapon, just to get you in a dress, Zoe.”

Mal said, “Jayne.”

Jayne replied, “I will look into getting one made.”

When the episode got to the chase, scene, Jayne stated, “If there is anyone, anywhere that can be more scary and dangerous than River can, it is Roberta. And I am not joking. I will sometime show you the Blood Trail arc. The last storyline for the anime. Think what Roberta is doing in these episodes, and dial it eleven.”

From the corner of his eye, Bob saw Daiyu smirk.

Simon raised and eyebrow, as he commented, “Really. That is quite a claim.”

Bob thought, 'And one that is likely true.'

Jayne said, “I never saw River snap a blade with her teeth before.”

Simon replied, “Really?”

Jayn responded, “Yes. Really. And that is only the tip of the blood red iceberg with her.”

From the corner of his eye, he saw Daiyu's smile widen, only for her to drop her smile a second later.

As the next episode started, and reached tail end of the, in episode the four hour fight scene, which was only a few minutes on screen, between Revy and Roberta, Bob stated, “Well, from what I have seen. Those women are something else. That is not a catfight. That is a major fist fight for most men I know could not handle that type of fight.”

Mal commented, “You might be right. I have been in duels that were likely less painful than what those two were putting themselves through.”

Zoe said, “I could fight like that. But, even I am not that macho to get into a knock down, drag out fight, just for the hell of it. I think I would just use a gun.”

Jayne commented, “I think everyone here, would. But, it is clear that Balalaika did not want that.”

Daiyu stated, “That is because Balalaika would feel that both Revy and Roberta might someday be useful to her, in the future.”

Bob looked at Daiyu, from the corner of his eye, as he agreed, “That is true.”

Episode eleven, and everyone chucked when they found out the password, Chang on scene, used. With the password being, may the force be with you. Even Daiyu lightly laughed.

Bob mentally reflected, 'I guess even those in the Black Lagoon reality have seen the Star Wars movies.'

At the end of episode twelve, Jayne said, “That Shenhua is almost as crazy as Revy.”

Bob commented, “It seems this series had no end to the amount of crazy women in it.”

Jayne replied, “Ah huh. Now, the last storyarc I am going to show is the Greenback Jane are. Just a fun story arc, with mindless action.”

The Greenback Jane arc started.

As Janet was shown escaping from the Florida mob, running through Roanapur, Inara said, “That woman is in the wrong town to be in, without a weapon.”

Bob replied, “You got that right. I like a women that know how to use a gun. As long as they are sane.”

Zoe complimented, “That just shows you have taste.”

It took much of Bob's will power not to laugh, but he could not help himself, as he cracked a grin, for a few seconds.

When the episode showed the introduction of Sawyer, the Cleaner, Simon said, “Unfortunately. I actually know a few of my fellow medical students, whom went into that line of work.”

Everyone, included Bob and Daiyu looked at Simon for a few seconds.

Simon noticed the attention that he had attracted towards himself. He quickly commented, “There are some real sickos in the medical profession.”

No one said anything about Simon's comment, as they turned back to the TV.

During the next episode, right after Eda explained to Revy and Rock, her the escape plan she set Janet up to take, on screen, Simon stated, “There are escape plans. And then there is stupidity. Eda's plan clearly relies on both.”

Mal commented, “Ah, the voice of experience.”

Zoe, Inara, and Jayne chuckled.

Bob did not laugh. And he noticed Daiyu did not laugh, either, as he thought, 'Well, Chang. You are sharp enough not to laugh. Still, you have probably also seen the Firefly series, and Serenity movie, and you understood Mal's joke.'

Soon after, episode eighteen started.

When they got to the scene where Dutch made the Lagoon PT boat buck like a rodeo bull, Zoe requested, “Sir. Could we try to make the ship do that sometime?”

Mal smirked, as he joke, “Now, who is missing their brain?”

The two of them just laughed for a few seconds.

Then, the episode showed the scene with Claude Torch Weaver being killed by Revy, while Revy made the, rocket man joke.

Daiyu commented, “Too bad Claude died. I am sure he would have been interesting for that series.”

Bob thought, 'With you, Chang. Given your former resources. If you had a professional, pyromaniac badass like Claude, working for you, at the peak of your power. The multiverse might not have survived.'

As the episode ended, Jayne stated, “That is the last of the episodes I was planning to show tonight. What else would you like to watch?”

Bob noticed that Daiyu got up and headed for the restroom.

As Bob watched Daiyu exit the room, he thought, 'Now, let's have some fun with Chang. As payback for what she did to Rico.'

Bob turned to Jayne, as he stated, “Jayne. You mentioned the series had some omakes? Given how twisted that series is, I wonder how twisted the omakes are? And how funny they are?”

Jayne nodded, he complimented, “Good idea. I will set the omakes to english dub.” He then swapped out discs with the one that had the Black Lagoon omakes on it.

The first omake started soon started. It showed the Lagoon Crew a few year younger, and in a high school setting, with the woman just as crazy and violent as before. With the characters speaking english. Using the same english voice cast as in the Black Lagoon anime, itself.

The omake was a riot that caused Jayne, Inara, Mal, Zoe, Simon, and Bob to laugh continuously, for several seconds.

Bob thought, 'These omakes never stop being funny.'

As the episode ended, Simon said, “School life was never that interesting for me.”

Mal stated, “Maybe you should be thankful that that fact.”

Simon replied, “I think I will.”

The second omake started. It showed Rock meeting Revy, but Revy as a magical girl with semi-automatic pistols, whom was more insane than usual, in a sugary way, as she fought the bad guys in the episode.

Bob stated, “Revy as a magical girl, with pistols. What were they on when the made this episode?”

Jayne's lips curled into a wicked grin, as he answered, “Likely some really good stuff.”

As the third omake started, with the omake showing Balalaika playing house wife, and mother, to Hansel and Gretel, Inara innocently asked, “Who are those two kids with Balalaika?”

Jayne stated, “Trust me. You likely don't want to know. But, I will show the Black Lagoon episodes featuring them, later. The episodes are good, but Inara, bring plenty of tissues, because you are going to be crying by the end of that storyline.”

Bob thought, 'That is an understatement.'

Inara replied, “I will keep that in mind.”

Daiyu came into the room as the third omake was half way through its run.

Daiyu looked on, at what was playing on the TV screen, with worry, as she thought, 'Oh crap. How could this happen, while I was taking crap? This is the third omake. The fourth omake is the Boys and Girls omake. And if they see that omake, the omake will expose my real identity as Chang to them. I have to stop this, before they get to that episode. Which, from the look of the scene playing right now, of the third omake, I under one minute to do something about this situation!'

Daiyu turned to the crew, as she suggested, “Guys. Won't it be a good idea to save some of there episodes for later.'

Everyone, including Bob, heard Daiyu, as they turned to face her.

Bob thought, 'Nice excuse. And I have seem to have gotten the fear and worry, that I wanted from you, Chang. Also, it would not be helpful toward myself, if I started a battle within a spaceship, in hyperspace. So, let us stop this before it gets out of hand.'

Bob backed Daiyu up, as he said, “I agree. It is always good to save something for later.”

Jayne commented, “But, Bob it was your idea to watch these in the first place. But, okay. Still, you have both have a good point. We will continue these omakes, later. Let's just finish watching this one.”

Bob replied, “Okay.” He bitterly thought, 'Thanks for blowing my cover, Jayne.'

Upon hearing that it was Bob's idea to watch the omakes in the first place, Daiyu swiftly turned, as she silently stared at Bob.

Bob thought, without showing his worry on the outside, 'Ah oh. Still, the simplest excuse is the most believable.'

Bob shrugged at Daiyu's unspoken question, as he commented, “I felt that I just like a needed a laugh. And I have found that omakes are usually comedies.”

Daiyu continued looking at Bob for a few more seconds, before she just turned, and walked over to the chair she had been sitting down in. She then got comfortable in that chair.

As soon as the third omake finished, Jayne used the remote to stop the disc. He then got up and walked over to the player.

When he reach the player, he turned and asked everyone, as he asked, “So, what should we watch next?”

Daiyu requested, “How about something simple, that everyone can enjoy? Star Wars Episode Four, A New Hope?” She thought, 'I believe I saw that cases for the Star Wars movies, in that cabinet, by Jayne.'

Inara casually inquired, “Original? Or, special edition?... Not that I mind either way. I know we have both version. Considering, I was the one to obtain them.”

Both Bob and Daiyu did a double-take towards Inara.

Bob thought, 'It figured that Inara would be a closet sci-fi geek. Given her lifestyle, it is the only way she could be in the closet. And she has had the education and upbringing to know the difference between the two versions of the original trilogy.'

'And it is nice to know that there are sides to these people that I did not know about. That the Firefly series, and Serenity movie did not show.'

Mal suggested, “How about we let our passenger decide?” He turned to Bob, as he inquired, “What do you say, Bob?”

Bob turned to Mal, as he answered, “I will pick the special edition. I know fans were pissed with the who Han not shooting first in the special edition. But, otherwise, the background additions add a whole other sci-fi level to the movie, and enhances the enjoyment for the viewers.”

Daiyu agreed, “I can see his reasoning, captain. I have seen both versions, and you will get more out of watching the special edition.”

Mal stated, “The special edition it is.”

Jayne pulled out the special editions disc of the Star Wars Episode Four movie, and changed out the discs in the player, so they could watch the movie.

Jayne then walked back to his chair and sat down at the movie started.

Daiyu casually asked, “Everyone knows what this movie is about?”

Zoe commented, “When growing up in transports and military bases, there will not much to do for a military brat, except school, exercise, and watching movies like this. Still, they were enjoyable.”

Bob sadly looked at Zoe for a few seconds, before turning away.

Bob said, “Story of a boy seeking adventure, and becoming a man, while being caught up in the adventure of his life.” He looked around, and back to the screen, as he mentally reflected, 'Damn, that has become my life. Only, I am intelligent enough to avoid the imperial entanglements.'

Simon said, “River loved these movies, as a child. But, I really didn't care for them. I was more of a pirates fan, myself. Before I grew up.”

Bob asked, “Which era? Classic sailor of the seas? Modernized sea pirates? Or, space pirates?”

Simon turned to Bob, as he slyly smiled. He coyly answered, “Let us just say that I enjoyed the Black Lagoon series more than I am willing to admit.”

Bob heard Daiyu giggle a little nearby.

Mal stated, “I saw all six movies as a child in the proper order. I don't see what the big deal is about the end of episode five. Episode three pretty much spoiled that plot twist.”

Inara looked over at Mal, as she slightly grinned. She casually explained, “That is because a person is suppose to watch them in the order of episode four, five, one, two, three, six.”

Inara then turned back to the screen.

Bob and Daiyu just looked at Inara for a few seconds, before they turned back to look at the TV.

Bob thought, 'Oh god. Inara really is a scifi geek. That is the generally recognized order to watch the Star Wars movies in.'

Jayne agreed, “She is right, Captain. That is the order I watched them, a few years ago. And I seemed to have gotten the most out of those movies, in doing so.”

Mal replied, “Fine. We will watch it in that order.”

Jayne then went over and started episode four of Star Wars.

For the Serenity crew, watching episode four of Star Wars was fairly uneventful. Around two hours later, after the movie finished, with Jayne pulled the disc out of the player, and putting it in its box. He then pulled out the disc to episode five, to put it into the player.

Bob yawned. He looked at this watch. The countdown stated. “36:20:38”

Bob got up from his chair, and he grabbed his gym bag.

Bob looked over at the Serenity crew, as he thanked them, “Good night, guys. I found the Black Lagoon series and Star Wars movie to be great. And it was fun spending time with you all.” He turned to Jayne, as he complimented, “Especially, you Jayne. You got completely got great taste.”

Everyone turned to look at Bob.

Jayne turned to Bob, as he smiled. He replied, “Thanks, Bob.”

Bob concluded, “I am going to get some sleep.”

Inara asked, “Do you remember which bunk you were assigned to.”

Bob turned to Inara, as he calmly answered, “Yes. I do. Inara.”

Inara responded, “Then, sleep well, Bob.”

Bob replied, “Thank you.”

Jayne said, “Good night, Bob. I got to go relieve River, anyway. I will give you the controls, Captain.”

Jayne then got up, handed the controls to Mal, and he headed for the cockpit.

Mal looked at Jayne, as he said, “Thanks.” He then turned to Bob, as he said, “Night.”

Zoe just nodded towards Bob.

Simon commented, “Get some rest.”

Bob said, “I will.”

Daiyu did not respond.

As Bob walked out of the room, those still in the room began to watch Star Wars, Episode Five.

Bob first headed for the restroom, then to the back of the ship, were his assigned bunk was.

When he got there, he set down his bag by his bunk. He untied his boots, and took off his boots, letting his knife fall deeper into his right boot. Afterward, he took off his sunglasses. He pulled out his wallet, reality device, and cellphone. Putting all three items into his boots.

Bob thought, 'Given, I do not have a clean part of clothing. I think it is best I just sleep in the clothing I have on. And it is best I leave my clothing on. Just in case I need to react quickly.'

'Given how tired I am, and River is about to come down here. It is best I get left the area, as quickly as possible. And getting some sleep. Which I do need. Is a very good excuse to do so.'

'Fortunately, Jayne decided to leave, after I said I was heading to sleep. So, there is not suspicion by Chang, on that matter. That I am trying to avoid River. Which I am. Now'

Bob then laid down on the mattress. As his head hit the mattress pillow, he soon fell fast sleep.

(_)

A few hours later, Bob was awoke to the sensation of rumbling.

It took a few seconds for his brain to fully get in gear, as he realized where he was, when he was, who was on the ship with him, and how serious that rumbling could be.

Bob's eyes snapped open, as he thought, 'Damn. That rumbling can only mean that the engines are giving Kaylee trouble. I remember Mal mentioning something about Kaylee checking something with the engines.'

'If we hit the wall of the hyperspace gate, we are dead. Though, there is not much I can do about that. Still, Serenity has to to shuttles attached to it. One of them is Inara's quarters. If Mal has to ditched the ship, I want to be ready for the lifeboat, with everyone else. Meaning I don't have time to shave, or shower.'

Bob leaned up and checked to make sure his necklace was still on straight. He pulled out his wallet, reality device, cellphone, and folded knife from his boots. He put his cellphone, wallet, and reality device into his front pants pockets. He then got his feet into his boots, and laced them up. Next, he stuck his knife back into the interior side of his right boot. Next, he put on his shades.

Afterward, Bob looked at his watch, the countdown read, “30:10: 23”

Bob thought, 'I have been a six hours. That was is enough sleep to function. And from what I understand. And I have been on this ship for roughly twelve hours. So, we are around half way to Earth. With luck, I will make it to Earth with time to spare... Ah. Who I am kidding? These things always end by the person barely making it, just in time.'

Got out of the bunk. He grabbed his gym bag, as he mentally realized, 'Also, I had better clear my mind, in case I run into River.'

As Bob started heading for the common area, Mal voice came on the speakers, “This is your Captain speaking. We are currently having problems with one of our engines. And we will be needing to dock soon for repairs. But, otherwise, everything is under control.'

Bob thought, with annoyance, 'As expected. My schedule just died a horrible death.'

A few minutes later, Bob reached the common area and found Zoe, Simon, Inara, and Daiyu, all sitting at a table, playing poker, while using real money to place bets with.

They all looked over at him.

Zoe stated, “Morning.”

Inara kindly asked, “Did you sleep well, Bob?”

Bob joked, “Like a rock. Until the rock started shaking.”

The others lightly laughed as Bob's comment.

Bob thought, 'Even though I heard Mal's statement on the speaker, I want first hand knowledge of the situation. Also, I want to know where everyone else is. Especially, River.' He questioned, “So, what is going on?”

Simon stated, “As the Captain stated, there is a problem with one of the engines. Since there is nothing we can do about it until we dock for repairs, I suggest you just relax. If we die. We die.”

Bob inquired, “And where is everyone, else?”

Simon answered, “Kaylee is in the engine room. Jayne is there also, to provide some extra muscle, if Kaylee needs it, at the spur of the moment. River is back at the helm, and Mal is in the cockpit with her. As he coordinates between River and Kaylee, so we can make it out of hyperspace, and to a transit station, without dying in the process.”

Bob responded, “Simon, you're right. And thank you for answering my questions. I appreciate the dedication, professionalism, sincerity that your crew has given me.”

Simon replied, “You're welcome. Also, you can join us for a few rounds of poker, if you want.”

Bob responded, “No thanks. I don't have the money to play with. But. All the same. Thank you for the offer.”

Simon said, “You're welcome.”

Simon, Zoe, Inara, and Daiyu then went back to playing poker.

Meanwhile, Bob carried his gym bag over to one of the chairs. He sat down, with his gym bag in his lap, as he waited to see how the situation would pan out.

(_)

An hour later, Mal announced on the speaker, “This is your captain speaking. We will be leaving hyperspace in a few minutes. After consulting our maps. And talking to a few people on the radio. We have found that near where we are exiting this hyper-lane, to another hyper-lane. At a gate transit point. There is a transit station where we can dock with for repairs.”

“We are informed that the transit station is a fairly large station, that handle refueling and repairs between Mars and Earth. That station has restaurants, theaters, and a shopping area. Should any of you feel like taking a look around. While, repairs are taking place.”

Just then, there a bump throughout the ship that signaled their transition back to normal space.

Mal continued, “That was us just moving into normal space. We should reach the space station within ten minutes.”

Bob and the crew breathed a sigh of relief.

Ten minutes later, Mal came back on the speakers, as he stated, “We will be docking with the station. Momentarily.”

A few seconds later, Bob and the crew felt a bump on the side of the ship, as the Serenity docked with the side of its hull, with the spacestation.

Bob mentally noted, 'The Serenity's gravity system was still online. Well, that is good.'

A minute later, Mal walked down to the common area.

Bob saw Mal walking towards him.

Bob got up from his chair, with the handle of his gym bag in his left hand, as he turned to face Mal.

When Mal reached Bob, he came to a stop. He stated, “Bob. I want you to know. You have been a wonderful guest and passenger. And I am sorry to have to do this to you. But, I need you off my ship. I have greater worries, about fixing my ship, than getting you to Earth on time. Still, since I only got you halfway to Earth, I will refund half the money Reggie paid me to take you there.”

Bob could not hide his unhappiness, as he thought, 'Damn. Just as I thought. There goes my schedule. But, there is no point in fighting the situation. At least I am getting half the money. So, I am not stranded. Just delayed. But, the delay is not critical, yet. I have still have plenty of time to find a way to Earth.'

Bob responded, “I understand, Captain Reynolds. And I considered it a privilege to be a guest on board your ship, the Serenity.”

Bob then extended right hand to Mal.

Mal shook Bob's hand, with his own right hand. Both noted the other man had a firm, but not tight handshake.

As they shook hands, Mal replied, “I am glad to hear you say that.”

A second later, they broke their handshake.

Bob requested, “Captain, permission to say goodbye to your crew?”

Mal smiled, as he answered, “Granted. Afterward, I will escort you out, and give you the partial refund.”

Bob turned to Zoe, Simon, Inara, and Daiyu. He saw they they had been paying attention to what Mal had said to him.

Bob sadly stated, “Well guys. It was fun. I wish I could stay longer. But, it looks like I got to find another ride to Earth.”

Zoe said, “Good luck to you, as well.”

Daiyu replied, “I would have like to have known you better.”

Simon responded, “Thank you for answering some of my questions.”

Inara said, “I glad to have met you. It is clear that your family has taught you well. Un both manners and behavior.” She looked over at Mal, as she casual added, “Those seem to be rare skills, these days.”

Mal just smirked, at Inara.

Inara then looked back at Bob.

Bob replied, “Thank you, Inara. My parents did teach me well. Also, I regret not being able to see Jayne, before I leave. Please, tell him thanks for sharing his collection. I enjoyed it.”

Inara said, “We will.”

Bob looked over at Mal, as he stated, “Good luck in fixing your engines.”

Mal replied, “Thanks.”

Bob commented, “I am ready to leave.”

Mal said, “This way. To the dock hatch we are using.”

Mal then turned and started walking out of the room.

Bob silently following Mal out of the room, as he carried his gym bag.

(_)

A few minutes later, Bob followed Mal to one of the airlocks of the Serenity.

Mal looked at the panel by the airlock, to check the pressurization and air quality in the interior section of the airlock, and the pressurization and air quality of the docking tube.

When everything check out, Mal opened the inner hatch, and stepped inside.

Bob followed Mal into the hatch.

With both them in the airlock, Mal closed the inner hatch. Next, he opened the outer hatch, which was completely connect to the docking tube connecting the Serenity to the transit station.

Bob also sat, that the outer airlock hatch, on the station side, which the tube was connected to, was open. Though, the inner hatch was closed, as an obvious safety measure.'

Bob noticed that the air in the docking tube was a bit stall, but breathable.

Bob watched as Mal started to floated within the tube to the other side.

Bob slung the sling of his gym back over his left shoulder, as he stated, “This is the first time I have done this.” He thought, “I am not playing games here. Going through a docking to is very dangerous. I cannot pretend. I need to know what to do. Or, I could get myself crippled, or even killed.

Mal looked back at Bob, as he said, “Don't worry. Just kick off, and use your hands to run along the tube to guide yourself.”

Bob replied, “Yes sir.”

As Bob step onto the tube, the artificial gravity of the Serenity left him, along with his bag, was floating weightless.

Bob thought, “This is an interesting experience. But, I need to get back to gravity quickly. I know for a fact that weightlessness can cause those who are new to the experience, to become nauseous. That is a reason the aircraft used by Nasa for weightless training is nicknamed the, vomit comet. And the last thing I want to do is throw up on Mal... At least, not before he gives me that refund.'

Bob kicked off from the threshold of the hatch to the Serenity, as used his hands, to guide himself along the opposite sides of wall of the tube, to the other side.

When he reach the other side, Bob held out his right hand, which Mal grabbed, to gently pull him, into the inner hatch.

Bob looked at Mal, as he said, “Thanks.”

Mal stated, “No problem.”

Mal floated beside Bob, to used an interior panel, in the airlock, to close the outer hatch of the station airlock, and then opened the inner hatch, into the spacestation.

They floated into the station itself, which was a large, open chamber. Mal then used a panel by the hatch, to close the inner hatch behind them.

Bob floated by Mal, as he noticed that forty feet further into the large room, lead directly to the rotation area part of the station, which used centrifugal force to create artificial gravity.

Though, Bob also saw a small card reader, on a stand, right in front of the rotation area.

Bob then watched, as Mal floated passed him, with him pulling out a debit card. He ran his card across a card reader, as he passed by it. He then entered the rotation, and his feet dropped to the ground, as gravity asserted itself, on Mal's body.

Bob followed was following right behind Mal. Bob thought, 'He must be paying the docking fee.' He then reached the rotation area, with him feeling gravity again. He turned and sat that he was only a few feet from Mal.

Mal put away his debit card, as he turned to face Bob.

Mal said, in a sad tone of voice, “I hate doing this to you, Bob. But honestly, my ship and crew come first. Though, I wish you luck on finding a way to Earth on your time table. And I believe this will help. Here.” Mal then pulled out a stack of woolong bills that was half the size of the one Reggie had given him. He handed the stack to woolongs to Bob.

Bob took the stack of bills. He put them in his right side front, pants pocket, by his cellphone.

Bob looked at Mal's face, as he replied, “Hey. That is life, Captain Reynolds.”

Mal complimented, “That is a good way to look at it.”

Bob said, “Well. thanks for the refund. At least, I am not stranded.”

Mal nodded, as he said, “See you later, Bob.”

Bob responded, “You too, Captain Reynolds.”

Bob then watched as Mal turned, and floated back over to the inner airlock hatch they had just come from. He open the inner airlock, and close it behind him, as he headed before for his ship.

Bob turned around, and looked further into the rotation section of the space station, whic

Bob looked at his watch, on his left wrist. The countdown stated. “28:22:18”

Bob thought, 'Now, to find a new ride home. At least, I don't have to worry about River reading my mind, anymore.'

Bob then started walking towards the nearest hallway, as he thought, with a bit of humor, 'The artificial gravity on this station is closer to Earth's own gravity, than on the Serenity. I am getting heavier as I go along in this journey. And I have not yet had a chance to get a good look outside, into space, since I left home, a day ago. Still, while I am here, and I have some time. I might as well go find a restroom, take care of some business, and try to get a little cleaned up. With luck there should be signs to the restroom areas.'

Bob walked further into the station, with his gym bag slung on his left shoulder, as he went find a men's restroom.

Fortunately, Bob soon found the signs, which were in english, to the nearest men's restroom.

(_)

Twenty minutes later, had Bob found a men's restroom, that was fairly clean, in the docking area of the stated. He got was he needed done, and cleaned himself up the best he could. He then, walked out of the restroom, with the strap of his gym bag hanging on his right shoulder.

As he made his way through the hallways near the docking section of the transit station, while he was searching from someone to pay for a ride with, he turned a corner and came upon three adults having a conversation.

It was two men and a woman, about twenty feet away.

Bob could see the three adults were all clearly having a conversation with each other.

Of the two men, one was leaning on the wall by the other two adults, clearing listening to their conversation. The man looked asian, with a light skin tone, blue eyes, and white hair. His white hair was cut short. He appeared to be in his twenties.

The white haired man wore white tennis shoes, blue jeans, a brown leather belt, a white t-shirt, and a denim cloth jacket as blue as his jeans.

The other man, whom was talking, was a black haired, fair skinned man, of around thirty years old. He hair was cut short. The man was in good physical shape, and he was slightly taller than Bob himself.

The black haired man wore a black boots, a black pants, black leather belt, a red t-shirt, and black, sleeveless, leather vest.

Bob thought, 'While, I do not recognize the white haired man. The black haired man seems familiar. I cannot place the black man's face. But, it just that I cannot recall, off the top of my head, who he reminds me of. Though, will think about that later. I wonder who that woman is?'

Bob saw that the woman had tanned skin. And she was in her mid-thirties. She had short, blond hair.

Bob then turned to look at the woman, and he instantly recognized the woman, as he thought, 'That is V.T. She is also known as, the Heavy Metal Queen. She is considered one of the best space truckers in all of fiction. I may have just lucked out.'

'V.T. is the personification of a physically strong, independent, middle aged woman. From anyone looking into her blue eyes, they could easily tell that V.T. is just mentally strong, as she is physically strong, if not more so.'

'Due to her lifestyle, as a space trucker, V.T. had put on some bulk, in the form of muscles.'

'From the picture, in the Cowboy Bebop episode featuring her, in her in her youth, V.T. was much slimmer woman, than she is now. Though, she was not fat. Instead, she was bulky. But, not in an ugly sense. She is actually very good looking. Also, from the way she is standing, she still retains her feminine grace and poise.'

Bob looked closer at V.T., and he saw that she wore her usual clothing, which was a black shirt, blue pants, and brown boots. Over the black shirt and blue pants, she wore a green bodice that reached down to her shins. Over the bodice she wore a black belt around her waist, and a black coat with red trimmings.

V.T. also wore a black newsboy cap on the top of her head, and a necklace, with a small, loose necklace around her throat, with purple pendent attached to her necklace, that hung around the front of her upper chest, right below her neckline.

Bob thought, 'If I play my cards right, V.T. might be my ticket Earth.'

'Everything I know about V.T. states that though she is tough, she is fair and come be got along easily, as long as the person does not complain about her taste in music, or the loud volume she play it at in the cabin in her space ship... I will just ask for some tissues, or something, to plug my ears if the music is to loud even for me... I wonder wear her cat is... Well, it has been for years since the series, probably close to five years since they showed her on that adventure with Spike and Faye, and that cat looked like it was getting up in age, and very fat. Zeros is likely no longer around.'

'Now, to deal with the matter at hand. I better just let this conversation play out. While, I hate eaves dropping, but I have to wait until their done, till I can speak to V.T. and implement my plan. And it is such a simple plan, that it should work. Though, if it doesn't, I will just find another way to Earth.'

Bob ducked back around the corner. He stood with his back to the wall, he silently listened to their conversation.

The black hair man said, in english, in a slight U.S. southern accent, “Please, listen V.T. You are one of the best space truckers out there. All I am saying is that we have known each other for a while. And I love your work ethic, and no nonsense personality. That is why I am offering you a job. Trust me. You have no clue what is out there. And I have found everyone needs delivery service. And the benefits and pay I am offering, you cannot find anywhere else.”

VT stated, in english, “Okay, Little D. You have always been on the level with me. So, I will give it some thought.”

Little D replied, “That is all I am asking, from you.”

Little D and the white haired man turned and started down the hallway turned towards Bob.

Bob heard them coming, as he thought, 'They know V.T. It might be best if I learn who that are, before I approach V.T. If nothing else, V.T. respects them, so if I have a since of who they are like. I can talk V.T. from a similar approach and style of mannerisms.'

When the two men turned the corner, towards Bob, they within five feet of Bob, when Bob looked at them. He inquired, in a polite tone of voice, 'Excuse me, gentlemen. But, I was wondering who you two were?”

The two men came to a stop, in front of Bob, and looked at him.

Little D answered, in a casual tone of voice, “Just a couple of friends with strange families, and stranger friends. I am, Little D. This white haired man beside me is named, Yuuichi.”

Yuuichi turned to Little D, as he spoke, in crystal clear english, with a slight japanese accent, “You got that right, Little D.” He turned to Bob, as he continued, If you are wondering. Even though I am a few years younger than my best friend here, I am technically his step-uncle.”

Little D turned to his friend, as his lips curled into a grin. He said, “No kidding. It was interesting when your parents came to my home, and introduced us to each other. But, it was the start of a wonderful, and mischievous friendship. Oh boy. Those were great times.”

Yuuichi looked over at Little, as he returned Little D's smile. He responded, “I know. And then our mothers let slip about their girl friends, and their island bikini parties.”

Little D commented, “They should have never told us. Given at the time we were both, admittedly, horny teenage boys. It was like waving raw meat in front of starving dogs. And with your abilities, Yuuichi. When we snuck into those bikini parties at that island. As far as the women there were concerned, we were there and gone in the blink of an eye. And they never caught us once.”

Both men then began to laugh.

Bob watched these to clearly crazy guys, as he thought, 'These two are clearly crazy. But, I am also getting somewhere with them. Now, to push forward.' Bob asked, in a casual tone of voice, “So, what do a couple of lunatics like you do for a living?”

Both men slowly stopped laugh, as they turned to look at Bob. A second later, they both replied, in unison, “Delivery Service.”

Little D commented, “They also should have never showed us that sci-fi delivery service cartoon series.”

Yuuichi stated, “I know. We just took it to the next logical step. Here is our card.”

Yuuichi pulled out a card, from his right front pants pocket, and he handed the card to Bob.

Bob gently took the card, in his left hand. But, he did not read the card, as he knew better than to take his eyes off of nearby lunatics.

Little D explained, “Not only are we best friends, but we are business partners. Our business name is R.E. Our business motto. Literally anytime. Anywhere. For a fair price. And we mean it. So, who are you?”

Bob answered, “Bob.”

Little D and Yuuichi took a closer look at the younger man. They then looked at each other, and back at Bob. A second later, they began to laugh.

Between laughs, Little stated, “Really? Well, good luck, Bob.”

Between laughs, Yuuichi commented, “You are going to need it.”

They then walked passed Bob, as Little D muttered, “Yep. Stranger friends.”

From the corner of Bob's eye, as the two men left his sight, he sat Little D pulled someone from his left front pants pocket.

From behind Bob, Yuuichi said, “We should know.”

Bob turned around to look at them, but when he did, they had just disappeared.

Bob looked at the card, in his left hand. The card had no contact information, but the name on the card caused Bob to put his right palm on top of his face.

He thought, with annoyance, 'They named of their company is Reality Express. They are reality travelers. I could have probably bumped a ride home with them. Oh well, at least there is V.T.'

Bob took his hand off his face. He did not waste time, he quickly turned the corner, and he approach V.T. at a brisk pace.

As Bot walked up to her, V.T. looked over at him.

Why Bob came withing ten feet of V.T. he greeted her, “Hello. I overheard that you are, V.T.”

Bob then pulled out his stack of woolongs, with his right hand.

V.T. realized what was going on, as she pulled out a stack of money herself, she held with her right hand. She said, “You get only one chance to guess my name.”

Bob came to a stop five feet from V.T. He responded, “I know. But, I was wondering. Would you be open to altering your bet a little.”

V.T. replied, “I am listening.”

Bob said, “You can keep the money. If I can guess your name, you take me to Earth, as soon as possible. Within less than a day.”

V.T. responded, “Okay. I am already heading that way.”

Bob handled V.T. his stack of money.

V.T. used her left hand, take the money from Bob's right hands. She said, “Alright. State your guess.”

Bob stated, “Your name is Victoria Terpsichore.”

V.T. cracked a grin, as she inquired, with curiosity in her tone of voice, “Now, how did you know that?”

Bob offered, “If you get me to Earth, I will tell you everything.”

Bob thought, 'And that is the truth. I believe you might actually find it humorous to learn that your home reality, here, is a fictional reality in my home reality.'

'Though, chances are, when you see Little D and Yuuichi. They will likely tell you anyway. So, there is no harm in telling you. That is, once I am on Earth. And I don't have to worry about you accusing me of being insane, and leaving me here, without my money.'

'Plus, making this offer is a good instinctive for you to get to to Earth, as soon as possible.'

V.T. put Bob's stack of money, with her much larger stack. As she put her stack of money away, into a pocket, she replied, “You got yourself a deal. Now, what do I call you?”

Bob answered, “Bob. Just Bob.”

V.T. stated, “Well Bob. Let me show you to my ship.”

V.T. then turned, and started walking down the hallway, with Bob following behind her.

(_)

Fifteen minutes later, V.T. and Bob floated into the main cabin of V.T. space ship, which was the front cab.

As V.T. sat in the right side seat, at the helm of the ship. Bob sat down in the left seat, at the helm. Because they were in zero g, Bob stuffed his gym bag between his legs and the bottom of the seat, so it would not go float away.

Bob then realized, as he thought, 'Damn. I forgot this ship does not have artificial gravity in any way. And I have no real experience with no gravity. I could become sick to my stomach.'

Bob turned to his right, to see V.T., whom was prepping her ship for long, along with the cargo containers her ship was hauling behind it.

Bob politely requested, “V.T. Please, don't take this the wrong way. But, I don't have much experience with extended times without gravity. While I am okay right now, do you have any medication I can take if I become nauseous?”

V.T. looked up at one of the shelves above her seat, though within arms reach. She opened it, and she pulled out a bottle of pills.

As V.T. showed Bob the pill bottle, she explained, “It's okay. Decades in space, I even I sometimes have those problems. There is a frig in back of the cockpit with some canned sodas, bottle water and juice. Along, with some snacks. So, if you need these pills. You won't have to take them dry. Also, I have found that if I strap yourself in, the pressure from the straps, pushing myself in the seat can sometime trick my subconscious into thinking I am in gravity, and it will stop the nauseous cold.”

V.T. then put away the pills, back in the shelf it was in. Next, she closed the shelf.

Bob responded, “Thank you. On another matter. I take it the toilet is an old suction styles? Like Nasa used back in the day?”

V.T. answered, “Yes. It is an updated version. The toilet is in a room in back of the ship. There the hose on the side for men. That I kept there, just in case. And the toilet itself is an... Interesting experience.”

Bob commented, “I am glad I went while at the station.”

V.T. responded, “That was intelligent on your part. With luck we will be on Earth in less than twelve hours.”

Bob replied, “That is what I figured.”

V.T. inquired, “So, where on Earth do you want to go?”

Bob answered, “The ruins of Aspen Colorado, United States. Do you know the location?”

V.T. responded, “Yes. I do. During the winter months. Some tourists camp in the mountains there, to go skiing.”

Bob commented, “I guess some things never go out of style.”

V.T. stated, “True. Though, it is dangerous. Due to possible avalanches, and no rescue crews within the area. So, why not you just lean back and relax as I get you to your destination. By the way, do you like rock music played loud?”

Bob honestly replied, “As long as it is positive rock, and not so loud that it causes my ears to to go deaf, I can listen to it all day long.”

V.T. smiled at Bob, as she said, “Nice. But, I have some headphones if you need something to muffle the noise”

Bob responded, “Thank you for the offer. But, I want to see how loud you play your music, first.”

Bob leaned back in his chair, as he stretch his legs, and as he wondered about how his life had lead him to this near impossible point.

Bob happily thought, 'I am glad to find, that as I get to know V.T., she is turning out to be the type of person that I would have no problems being friends. I am not attracted to her in the least. But, she has a great personality. I cannot wait to find out what type of rock music she plays. Maybe, I will even get to listen to good rock music that doesn't even exist in my reality. Now, that is a wild thought.'

'And it is fortunate I got kicked off the Serenity when I did. I don't know how much longer I could dodge that telepathic, badass, supergenius River, and keep her from finding out what I know. Still, for a crew of thieves and killers, they turned out to be decent people. Once I got to know them.'

'I can understand what Reggie seeing in Jayne. He seems like a person that would make a great drinking buddy.'

'And considering what Chang did, I find her becoming both River's bitch, and the ship's janitor, to be karmic punishment for her.'

Bob then causally looked his left, out the ship's left side window.

He then noticed that he V.T. space ship was parked right beside the Serenity. With both cockpits in view of each other.

And through the right side cockpit window of the Serenity, River was looking right back at him, with a feral grin on her lips.

Even at the distance between the two cockpits, Bob could still clearly see River. And Bob was sure she could clearly see him.

Under his sunglasses, Bob's eyes went wide, while he jaw dropped in horror. He thought, in fear, 'Oh crap!'

River's smile widened at his thought.

Bob forced himself to relax, as he thought, 'River. You read my entire thought? Didn't you?'

River nodded, as she continued to grin.

Bob quickly responded, in thought, 'For the record. I have nothing but deep respect for you, and your friends. Do you believe me?'

River nodded, while maintaining her grin

Bob asked in thought, 'Is there any way I can talk you out of coming after me?'

River shook her head, while smiling.

Bob mentally inquired, 'How screwed am I?'

River used her right index finger to do a horizon motion along her throat.

Bob mentally replied, 'That bad, huh? Well, you got to catch me first.'

Even thought Bob could not hear it, he saw River begin to laugh.

Bob then noticed that right side engine started to spark, on the outside, for a couple of seconds, before it quit.

Bob thought, 'That must be the damaged engine. With Kaylee just trying out the engine. Seeing it is still damaged, and shutting it down. And at the moment, River. I don't care if you are reading my mind. We both know you cannot reach me right now. So, don't try.'

Bob turned and saw that River had stopped laughing, and she rolled her eyes for a seconds. Before she turned back to look at him.

Bob turned to V.T., as he asked, “V.T., I have a silly question that could use your input. Do you see that ship to our left. I was wondering. How long would you guess it would take for them to repair that sparking engine?”

V.T. leaned up from her seat and looked out the left side window. As she sat back down in her seat, she answered, “I would say around four hours.”

Bob replied, “Interesting. Thank you for answering my question.”

Bob looked over at River, as he gloated, in thought, 'You hear that, River? That is a four hour head start in my favor?”

River frowned.

V.T. looked out her front windows, as she asked, “So, are you ready to go?”

Bob looked over at River, one more time, as he thought, 'See you later, River.'

River smirked, as she waved goodbye to him with her right hand.

Bob looked in front of him, out of the front window, as he requested, “Hit it, V.T.”

V.T. turned on her rock music. Turned on the two front lights, at the bottom front of her ship. Released the back docking claps that anchored the ship to the station. And she then ignited her ship's engines.

V.T.'s ship roared out of the spacestation, and towards the hyperspace gate that lead to Earth.

(_)

A minute later, on board the Serenity, River walked into the common area, where everyone had met to figure out how best to fix the ship, and what to do in the mean time.

River looked over and she saw that from the look of sweat on Kaylee's brow, she had just come into the room, right before River had done so, herself.

As River approached them, the crew looked over at her.

River came to a stop, ten feet from the rest of the crew, as she looked at them. Sh said, in a causal tone of voice, “Bob knows who we are. He even knows that I am a telepath.”

Some of the crew's eyes widened, as few jaws dropped.

Mal yelled, in more annoyance, than anger, “Damn it! I knew he was just too nice for his own good.”

Zoe said, “Sir. If you were in his position. You would likely be nice, as well.”

Inara commented, “I feel his manners were genuine.”

Jayne turned to Mal, as he spoke up, “I got no complaints about him. Okay. He wasn't fully honest with us. But, who are we to talk. He was polite. He didn't insult us. He didn't steal from us. He didn't try to attack us. I wish all of our passengers were like that.”

Jayne then turned to look at River.

River cracked a grin, as she stuck her tongue out at him, for a few of seconds.

Zoe agreed, “Sir. For once. Jayne has a point. Bob clearly knows better than to talk about us. I say we cut him loose.”

Mal stated, “Bob knows too much to cut him loose. We have to capture him, and find out what he knows. We will decide what to do with him, afterward. Still, I just cannot believe he fooled us.”

River commented, “Bob even fooled me. That is not an easy feat.”

Kaylee used her left forearm sleeve, or her shirt, to wipe the sweat off her brow. As she dropped her left arm back to her side, she responded, “Wow. Now, that is a trick I would like to learn. It would help when we play poker against you, River.”

River just giggled.

Simon stated, “The question is why is he so set to getting to Earth as quickly as possible?”

Inara replied, “That is a very good question.

As the rest of the crew talked, Daiyu decided to remain silent.

River walked up to Daiyu, as the redhead whispered into her girlfriend's left ear, “Bob even knows about you, Chang.”

Daiyu's eyes widened, as she thought, 'While Bob knowing about the Firefly crew could mean that he saw the Firefly series and Serenity movie, here. I did check, and their series and movie does exist here, as fiction. Him knowing about me means that he is connected to me somehow.'

'Just knowing that I looked like Chang's male counterpart would not be enough. The Black Lagoon anime and manga series. Along, the omakes. Exist here. But, he would likely think it was of consequence. He had to know who I was, beforehand. And since he recognized me, when we met, someone had to have told him about me.'

'Still, that could be anyone from Akira to Rock.'

'Though, he likely suggested the crew watch the Black Lagoon omakes as we way to get at me, and make me sweat. He then turned around and suggested not watching the fourth omake. Which would have exposed me, along with the other omakes. Because, he did not want to start a fight in the ship... That is quite devious of him.'

'Still, this means he has the ability to leave this reality. That is why he wants to get back to Earth. Some how, that ability is tied to a time limit. And he has to be on Earth, at a specific location. So, he can reality jump to the parallel location, in his reality.'

'But, why Aspen Colorado? I seem to remember that name being mention by someone I know. But, I cannot place who and why. I will think about that, later.'

'And I now have my chance to escape… Oh crap. I forgot that River can read minds, and she is right beside me.'

River teased, “I will let you try. What is a life without a little fun?”

Daiyu turned River, as she smiled at the redhead. She softly said, “Thank you.”

River returned Daiyu's smile, as she replied, “You're welcome.”

Nearby, Mal turned to River, as he inquired, “River. Has Bob left the station?”

River turned to Mal, as she answered, “Yes. He left with on a freighter, hauling cargo trailers behind it?”

Mal inquired, “Did you get who the pilot was?”

River responded, “A woman named, V.T.?”

Daiyu mentally realized, 'Oh. This confirms that Bob is a reality traveler. And he has seen the Cowboy Bebop series. He probably used that name bet V.T. has going to hitch a ride with her to Earth. That is what I would do in his place.'

Mal questioned, “Does anyone know anything about this V.T. person?”

Daiyu spoke up, “I do. V.T. goes by the radio handled, Heavy Metal Queen. Because she likes rock music. And she likes to play it loud. This Queen is a living legend known throughout the system. And captain. If you decide to confront her. Use your gun, because she is likely tougher than you are.'

'Still, from all accounts, she is a nice woman. Unless you threaten her. If you treat her well enough, you might be able to talk her into handing Bob over.”

Daiyu mentally added, 'And then his reality device is mine.'

Mal commented, “First, we need to be able to get to him.” He turned to Kaylee, as he asked, “Kaylee. How are the engines?”

Kaylee turned to Mal, as she answered, “Well unfortunately, our engines are not made to use in hyperspace. The only reason we use the gate system is that faster, and doing so saves us a hell of a lot on fuel expenses.”

Mal inquired, “I know. Can we still used the engined in hyperspace?”

Kaylee stated, “Yes. It is mostly a calibration issue that got out of hand. It seems that the ship's engines were not designed for being used in confined spaces, for prolong amounts of time.”

Mal requested, “Please, explain?”

Kaylee responded, “When we are in hyperspace, we going to full out. Actually, we got less than the quarter of what the engines can take us at. In normal space, if we put the engines to full burn, we would be close to traveling the same distance, in the same span of time, as going through hyperspace.

“But, the other reason I told you guys to only got at less than a quarter of the speed, is that after looking at the math and technologies, I realized if we went full burn, our engines might have a negative impact on the hyperspace walls.”

“So, I had us used the recommended speed in hyperspace. And for the last few months, we have been fine. And I though, I had taken everything into account. I guess I was wrong.”

“It seems the hyperspace walls, inside the hyperspace gate, can act as a confined space. With the way the engines push us through space, acted like noise in an echo chamber. Causing the engines to start to resonate. And giving I calibrate both engines the same, over time, the engines also started to resonate with each other.”

Mal guessed, “And things started to come loose.”

Kaylee stated, “Exactly. The only reason this did not happen to use before, is because the resonance of the hyperspace walls various from time to time. It was just our back luck that the resonance of the walls, of hyperspace tunnel we were in, resonated with our engines. At a near perfect energy pitch. Really, for this to happen is a one in a million shot. But, it happened, and I now need to fix the engines.”

Mal questioned, “That sometimes happens. And we all make mistake. We are all still alive, and the ship is in one piece. So, this is only a small problem. But, we just need to fix this problem. So, how long do you need to fix the engines?

Kaylee stated, “Thanks. Now, if I had caught this before one of the engines malfunctioned, it would be an easy fix. Unfortunately, I believe that was happened here was a few screws and nuts came loose on both engines. Because of this. I have to check both of them both over, thoroughly.”

“But first, I got to fix the right engine. All of this is going to take me around three and a half hours to fix. If I have help, I can shave that down by an hour.”

Kaylee continued, in a more serious tone of voice, “Also, I know you want to capture this guy. But, do not go above the speed I recommend we go in hyperspace.”

Mal ordered, “Fine. We will got the speed limit you set. Still, get the engines fixed.” He turned to the rest of his crew, as he stated, “And everyone, help Kaylee in any way she needs you too.”

Zoe asked, “Can we still catch up with them?”

Mal turned to Daiyu, as he inquired, “Daiyu. Among us, you know the most about these types of freighters. Is it possible to still reach them?”

Daiyu answered, “Probably. If the engines can get repaired within a few hours. Her freighter is hauling trailers. Though, these freighters are built for speed, they are likely nowhere near as fast as the Serenity.” She looked at Kaylee, and then back to Mal, as she continued, “We may not be able to go full burn in hyperspace. But, normal space is another matter, entirely.”

Mal replied, “Good point.” He looked over at Kaylee.

Kaylee understood what question Mal was going to ask. She stated, “Given that state of the engines. Even after I repair them. I don't want us to go above fifty percent. I want to do a full tear down and rebuild, on both engines. Before I even entertain the idea of going at eighty percent. Let alone full burn.”

Mal said, “Fair enough.” He turned to look around the room, at his crew, as he stated, “I will get on the horn, and see if I can talk this V.T. into giving up Bob. If not, we will just catch them. We know where he is heading. We can just out run him there. Now, everyone. Go carry out our duties.”

The members of the crew then went to perform their assigned tasks.

(_)

Five minutes later, on board V.T. space ship, inside the front cabin of the freighter.

V.T. was sitting in the front right chair, and Bob was sitting in the left chair.

V.T.'s ship was a still a few minutes in bound, on the hyperspace gate to Earth, an V.T. was playing some good rock music, in her cabin, at a loud, but not deafening volume.

Bob turned to V.T., as he loudly complimented, “I love the music, V.T.! I find it relaxing!”

V.T. heard him, as she turned to face Bob. She forcefully replied, “Thanks! I find it soothing, myself!”

V.T. turned to the dashboard in front of her. With her right hand, she reached over on her dash board, and turned a nob, on the dashboard, to turn down the volume.

V.T. looked over at Bob, as she offered, “As I said before. I have some headphones I can lend you to muffle the noise. If you want?”

Bob replied, “That is alright. The volume is not that bad. But, I would like to have a conversation with you.”

V.T. shrugged, as she responded, “I am more than happy too. Outside of the radio, I rarely get a chance to talk to people. Let alone, face to face.”

Bob politely requested, “First, I have heard a lot about you, V.T. The Heavy Metal Queen. As it were.” Bob pulled out how cellphone, as he requested, “I was wonder if I could take some pictures and videos of you. Some with us both in the camera lens. So, I can show the folks back home.”

V.T. cracked a grin, as she said, “Sure. No problem. I respect me fans.”

Bob smiled, as he replied, “Thanks, V.T.”

Just then, they heard a male voice on the radio say, “Hello. I am trying to reach the Heavy Metal Queen.”

V.T. picked up the microphone radio, with a cord attached to it, leading to the radio, like an old CB radio. She pressed the talk button on the microphone, as she said, “Go ahead.” She then released the talk button.

V.T. heard a male over the radio, “Is this the Heavy Metal Queen?”

Bob then recognized who the voice was, as he thought, 'I guess River told the others. Though, I am surprised the Mal would try to contact V.T. He is more of a man of action, than one who prefers to talk. Which is what has lead to have the trouble that he and his crew have gotten into, over the years. As such, I guess he is trying to talk this out, because he believes he cannot catch me. Good.'

V.T. replied over the radio, “Yep. To whom am I speaking to?”

The voice introduced himself, “I am Captain Reynolds of the Serenity. You can call me Browncoat.”

Bob inwardly laughed, as he thought, 'Figures that Mal would pick that as his handle.”

V.T. inquired, “Well, Browncoat. What do you want?”

Mal replied, “I believe that you have a passenger with you, that goes by the name of, Bob. I wish to speak with him.”

V.T. made sure she had let go over the talk button of the microphone to the radio, as she looked over at Bob.

Bob looked over at V.T., as he honestly said, “Long story short. They were the crew that got me to the station I just met you at. I realized they were criminals, and just after I left, they just found out that I knew about them. They would like to get their hands on me to find out exactly what I know about them.”

V.T. looked at Bob for a few seconds, then she turned her head back to the front of the ships, to look out the window. She flatly stated, “I believe you.”

V.T. spoke into microphone, as she questioned, “And what if he is here, Browncoat? You sound like you want more than just to speak to him?”

Mal replied, through the radio, “You have me there, Heavy Metal Queen. I would like for him to come back to my ship. So, we can have a little chat. You don't even had to turn around. We can meet you somewhere. Also, we can pay you quite well to deliver him to us.”

Bob did not show any expression on the outside, but he inwardly laughed, as he thought, with delight, 'Bad move, Mal.'

V.T. became furious, as she yelled into the radio, “Listen here, scumbag! I am not a stinking bounty hunter! So, you can take your offer and go to Hell!”

V.T. put the microphone back on its hook, as she forced herself to calm down.

Bob turned to her, as he quietly said, “Thank you for saving my life.”

From the tone of V.T.'s voice, Bob could tell she had turned to her usual self, as V.T. replied, “Don't worry about it. I have had my share of problems with criminals. They tend to be a paranoid lot.”

Bob rhetorically asked, “No kidding?”

V.T. stated, “You can relax, Bob. I will should be able to get your to Earth. Without a payload, this ship can vertically land on the planet, and take off without a problem. It will be just after I deliver this cargo, till I get you to Earth. And my delivery should only add around two hours to the trip.”

Bob inquired, “Not a problem. That still leaves me plenty of time. So, I was wondering V.T., what foods do you like?”

V.T. answered, “To be honest, I am partial to a Ganymede rock lobster. Properly cooked, it is pretty good, though expensive.”

Bob immediately realized the type of animal she was talking about, as he responded, “Just don't leave it in the fridge too long.”

V.T. chuckled, as she replied, “Very true. Like most lobsters, you have to cook it alive. And if you leave it in the fridge to long, while alive... Things can get ugly. But, I will eat just about anything that is safe to eat. You have to have a diverse palate to be a space trucker.”

Bob agreed, “That is true, V.T.”

Bob looked at his watch. The countdown stated. “27:37:35”

Bob thought, 'Still, plenty of time. I plan to use my cellphone video and photo options later in our trip. When we start to get bored in a few hours. Also, with the headphones V.T. is offer, I can get some rest, should I need it. While V.T. can still play her music.'

A few seconds later, they entered the hyperspace gate to Earth, with the V.T.'s ship creating a slip bump, as they entered the hyperspace tunnel, on their way for Earth, and Bob's destination.

V.T. questioned, “So, what sports do you?”

Bob answered, “While, I do enjoy baseball. I have always been partial to american football. You may have not heard of that sport.”

V.T. stated, “Actually, I have. I know of a number of locations, where people play that sport. I have even played the flag version of it, when I was younger.”

Bob happily responded, “That is nice to know. When it comes american football, the tackle version can be rough. But, the flag version can be fun. So, what do you type of rules did you prefer, when you and your friends used when played flag football?”

V.T. smiled wickedly, as she joked, “As long as I don't have to play on the, skins, team, I didn't care.”

Both of them lightly laughed at V.T. joke for a few seconds.

The two adults continued their pleasure conversation, as they listened to the V.T.'s selections of rock music as a decent volume, in which they could talk normally, while still being able to hear each other.

Some of the rock music Bob had never heard of before. But, off of V.T.'s choices of music were good and entertaining. They both listened to to the rock music, while they made their way through the hyperspace gate.

(_)

Meanwhile, in the Serenity ship, Daiyu and River were beside standing beside Mal in the cockpit.

Mal has just finished his conversation with V.T. And he had turned off the radio.

While Daiyu did not show it on the outside, she thought, with mild amusement, 'Damn. I forgot V.T. hated bounty hunters. Even though her deceased husband was one of the best bounty hunters of his time.'

River giggle at Daiyu's thoughts.

Daiyu looked at Mal, as she stated, “It was worth a try, captain.”

Mal turned to Daiyu, as he nodded once in agreement. He responded, “You're right, Daiyu. We will just have to get Bob the old fashioned way. As soon as Kaylee as the engines fixed. We are going after him.”

River complimented, “That's the spirit, captain.”

Mal let out a laugh, at River's comment.

(_)

A little less than twelve hours later, V.T. ship had exited one of Earth's hyperspace gates with a slight bump into normal space.

It has been a long journey for both Bob and V.T. But, a very trip also for them. They both found that the other made for good platonic company. And they got a long well, as friends.

V.T. was even nice enough to let Bob use his cellphone to take videos and picture of her, her with him, along with recording parts of the interior of the ship, and pictures of hyperspace, and the circular hyperspace cylinder wall that had surrounded them while inside the gate.

V.T. even let Bob record some of the music she liked to play.

At the moment, both were sitting in the cockpit seats, with V.T. in the right seat, and Bob in the left seat. With Bob placing his gym bag between his lefts, and the floor beneath his seat, to prevent his gym bag from floating free.

Neither of them were wearing seatbelts.

Bob looked at his watch. The countdown read. “16:01:05”

Bob complimented V.T., “V.T. It took you less than twelve hours to get us here. You did an excellent job.”

V.T. replied, “Thanks. After all, it is my job.”

Both of them lightly laughed at her comment.

Suddenly, V.T. noticed some red flashing lights approaching them from the right front side of her ship.

V.T. stated, “Looks like we got some trouble.”

Bob looked over at what V.T. was commenting on, and saw the lights getting closer.

A few minutes later, both adults saw that the lights were coming from four ISSP, Inter-Solar System Police, law enforcement zipcrafts.

All four small space ships circled back around V.T. ship until the each were on a side of the cabin, in the front of the freighter, and trailers the ship was hauling. Top, bottom, left and right, sides. From the windows, both adults could see that two of the right and left sides of the ship. With the two smaller craft staying parallel with V.T.'s ship.

V.T. turned on the video screen on her dash board, to show her cameras that was placed in show above, and below, her ship. She and Bob saw on the screen, two zipcrafts were also parallel with V.T.

Bob realized, as he thought, 'We are trapped in an escort pattern.'

V.T. turned to off her music, as she said, “I am going to get on the horn, to figure out what is going on.”

From the look on V.T.'s face, Bob could tell that the situation was serious.

V.T. turned on the radio, as she unhooked the microphone. She stated into the microphone, “This is the Heavy Metal Queen to the ISSP zipcrafts near my rig. What is going on? And how may I be of help?”

One of the ISSP officers from the four ships replied, “Heavy Metal Queen, we are here to escort your ship to the nearby Moon Guard Police Space Station. For inspection of your ship and crew. As of right now, you can consider yourself and your crew to be under arrest. Failure to comply will be met with lethal force.”

V.T. let go of the talk button of her microphone as she turned to Bob. She asked, “You don't have anything illegal on you?”

Bob answered, “Nope. No drugs. No nothing.” Bob thought, 'Though, what I don't have concerns me. Like proper identification.'

V.T. replied, “Good.”

V.T. spoke into radio, “Confirmed ISSP. I am slaving my autopilot to your system on my mark.” V.T. punched a few buttons on her dash board. She then stated, “Mark.”

The ISSP officer replied, “Confirmed, Heavy Metal Queen. Thank you for you cooperation.”

V.T. ship then change direction, as they started heading towards the Moon Guard Space Station.

V.T. leaned back in her chair, as she frowned.

Bob asked, in confusion, “So, we are under arrest?... Just like that?

V.T. replied, “It looks that way...” As she leaned in her chair, she looked over at Bob. She stated, “It's a scam, Bob. The ISSP personnel that orbits Earth and Earth's moon are known to be some of the most corrupt in the system. This is just a shake down for money. I know I was running a risk coming this way. But, I had a load, and I job. And work comes first.”

Bob replied, “I admire that.”

V.T said, “Thank you.”

Bob inquired, “So, what happens now?”

V.T. flatly answered, “Now, we get arrested. They will run our IDs. Issue us fines on trumped up charges, and make us pay them on the spot. And then send us on our way.”

Bob stated, “That could be a problem, because I don't have a valid I.D.”

V.T. shrugged, as she responded, “Don't worry. Even without an I.D., as long as you don't flag in the criminal database, they will likely cut you loose in a couple of days. Though, I will not be waiting for you to get out.”

Bob said, “I understand that. Still, I am on a tight schedule. And this screws me up big time.”

V.T. replied, “Sorry. Those are the breaks, kid.”

Bob stated, “Not your fault. And V.T., thanks for getting me this far.”

V.T. responded, “No problem, kid. You have been a good passenger. I consider is a pleasure to have met you, Bob.”

Bob looked out the front windows, and he finally came in side of Earth, in the distance. He thought, 'At least I am to the point where I can see Earth. And it truly is a beautiful blue pearl at this distance. The moon pictures of Earth back home, don't do this sight justice.'

'Now, I just need to start planning what I am going to do, now. And I already have a few items.'

Bob checked the countdown to this watch. It stated. “15:55:36”

(_)

Over the next fifteen minutes, V.T.'s space ship was escorted by the police zipcrafts to the large police station in orbit around Earth's moon.

As they circled around Earth's Moon, Bob got an up close and personal look at the destroyed section of the moon that caused by the gate explosion decades ago in the Cowboy Bebop reality.

Bob could not stop himself from showing the horror on his face, as he thought, with fear, 'It is one things to see a drawn picture of this on a TV screen, with the crater, for lack of a better word, being only a few inches big. Seeing this damaged moon, like this, is a completely different, and terrible experience.'

'A continent could literally fit in that hole. No, not, hole. Chasm. No, still too small. Fissure. Yea. That will work. I can truly start to understand the horror of that day that gate exploded. That was a very bad day. No, very a bad decade for humanity. Given the literal meteor shower fall out on to Earth, and the dangers of space debris between the Earth and the Moon, for those that left the Earth.'

VT saw the look at Bob's face, as she commented, “You know, for a guy heading to Earth, I am surprised that you clearly have never seen the scar on Earth's moon.”

Bob continued to look at the Moon, as he honestly, yet quietly, answered, “I have just never seen it this close before.”

VT replied, “Fair enough.”

Bob spent the next few minutes mentally and emotionally collecting himself, as the Moon Guard space station came into view.

The space station was in orbit around the moon. The station's was the same basic rotating cylinder shape that most Cowboy Bebop space stations were. The spacestation was fairly large, and looked like it had a prison section, along with a large docking, and personal section to it. The space station had large fins attached to the station in different angles.

Bob thought, 'Those fins are likely solar panels.'

Bob looked at his watch. The countdown stated. “15:43:23”

Bob thought, with worry, 'I do not a lot of time. But, there is not much I can do about it.'

As they got closer to the station, Bob pulled his gym bag from between the bottom of his seat and his legs.

Bob quickly set it on his lap. He unzipped it open. He pulled out, from his pockets, his cellphone, his reality device, his wallet, his nail clippers, handkerchief, and his car keys. He then leaned down and reached into the interior side of his boot, to pull out his folded knife.

Next, he took off his shades, necklace, watch, and put those items into his bag.

Bob made sure to stuff all the items he put into his bag, under his boxed laptop, his clothing, and his old pair of shoes.

Afterward, he put his knife into gym bag, and zipped it up. He then set his bag lightly by the left window, near him.

V.T. watched as Bob did all this.

Bob noticed V.T. looked at him. He turned to V.T., as he explained, “None of this illegal. But, I figure it might be best to have all my possessions in one place when they come.”

V.T. complimented, “Good idea.”

A few minutes later, they had docked with the police space station.

V.T. pushed a button on his dashboard to unlock the airlock hatch to her space ship.

As ISSP began to open the hatch, V.T. cautioned, “Bob, Stay in your seat until they order you to move. I have done this before, a few times. Just stay cool, and we will be fine. They are in it for the money. Nothing else.”

Bob replied, “Yes ma'am. And for the record, thank you for getting me this far.”

V.T. responded, “No problem, Bob. I didn't mind the company. And good luck getting to earth on time.”

The police officers than opened the hatch.

V.T. loudly stated, “We are unarmed!”

Bob heard a man voice order, in a stern manner, in english, “Keep your hands were we can see them. Float slowly up from your seats. And then turned around.”

V.T. and Bob slowly did as instructed.

As Bob kept his hands up, and turned around, he saw that there were three officers. Two men, and a woman.

All three of them were in good physically shape.

The woman officer grabbed V.T. by her right forearm, and pushed her against the right wall, while one of the men officer's grabbed Bob by his left forearm and pushed him against the left wall of the cabin.

Bob did his best not to struggle, as he soon found himself with his wrists cuffed behind his back. Right after he was cuffed, the cop was patting him down.

Bob thought, 'The woman officer is likely doing the same to V.T. And they obvious are no reading us our rights. I best keep my mouth shut, until they ask me a question.'

From the corner of his eye, he saw the third officer grab his gym bag, and go through it.

The officer that had cuffed him, turned to the one with Bob's gym bag, as he asked, “Anything in there?”

The third officer replied, “Nope. Just a new laptop and clothing.”

Bob thought, 'Good. He missed my wallet, with my driver's license in it. And he didn't notice my cellphone and reality device for what they are.'

The officer by Bob turned to Bob, as he asked, “Is this your bag, son?”

Bob answered, “Yes, officer.” Bob thought, 'Best to keep my bag on the same place as I am. If I don't say something now. If V.T. is cut loose, she could take unknowingly take my ride with her.'

The officer by Bob ordered the third officer with the bag, “Take it with us. For evidence. This guy doesn't have ID.”

V.T. and Bob both remained silent, as a few seconds later, they were lead out of V.T. ship, through a docking took, and into the police station.

Two minutes later, after the got to the other side of the airlock, and into the police space station, V.T. was lead in one direction by the woman officer, and Bob was lead by the other two men officers, in another direction.

Bob though, 'I have seen enough from watching reality TV cop shows to know what was about to happen to me. I am about to be processed into the jail. It would be best not to fight them, right now.'

Bob was soon let into a line of several other men, whom were in handcuffs, in a large open, office room. There there was a four feet height metal partition that separated the cuffed men from the rest of the room. With officers, setting in desks, that set against the partition, so the officers could talk to their prisoners.

And there were plastic windows that set in front of the desks, between the metal partition and the desk. The windows went up, from the floor, to the ceiling, with the windows being six feet wide.

Bob thought, 'This scam must is like a conveyer belt of fraud. And the windows must be there to protect the officers from their victims.'

Bob was soon lead to process him into the jail. The first things that Bob saw that those in line came up to do, was to have to mug shots taken.

A few minutes after Bob has his mug shot taken, he reached another part of the line, where an officer was scanning fingerprints into a machine.

When it was Bob's turned to have his fingerprints scanned. Like the other prisoners. The officer undid Bob's cuffs long enough to scan his fingerprints into the fingerprint scanner.

Bob did relaxed his hands as the officer held each of his fingers, and his two thumbs, against the fingerprint scanner.

Bob's wrists were then placed back in cuffs, behind his back.

Then, came the paper work, as Bob came up to a window, to his right side, with a male police officer behind it. There were small holes in the window, so the prisoners, and the officer, could hear each other.

Bob had already seen and heard other men who approached the window and were asked a set of questions. So, Bob knew what the questions were going to be asked of him.

Bob turned to face the window, as the officer, behind the window, asked, in english, “What is your name?”

Bob answered, “Bob.”

The officer inquired, “Just, Bob?”

Bob replied, “Yes. Just, Bob.” Bob thought, 'My family name is not important to them. Since there is no record of any of us even existing in this reality.'

The officer in question wrote down Bob's name on the sheet of paper.

Bob thought, 'I guess. No matter the reality. Nor, how far into the future. Human bureaucracy still uses paper work.'

The officer requested, “Planet? Or, moon of birth?”

Bob stated, “Earth.”

The officer inquired, “Headed home?”

Bob deadpanned, “I was.”

The officer stated, “Don't worry. We will get this done soon enough. What is your date of birth?”

Bob said, “I decline to answer that question under the grounds that I do not want to be charged with lying to an officer, for telling the truth.” He thought, 'I could literally tell the truth, and get charge with lying to an officer, for doing so. So, I will have to be very careful about what I say to them.

The officer cracked a grin on his lips, as he replied, “Interesting defense. I will leave it blank for right now.”

There was some snickering among the prisoners near Bob.

The officer barked, “Pipe down! Only speak when spoke too! Unless you want to be charged with further crimes!”

The other nearby prisoners immediately became quiet.

The officer then turned to Bob, as he stated, in a slightly calmed tone of voice, “You may go, Bob. I will let the interrogators get answers from you. If they want. I don't have time for word games.”

Bob did not give the officer the satisfaction of looking scared. Instead, he just turned to his left, and continued walked further down the line.

The next officer Bob came too, took Bob's weight and height.

Bob was then lead to a chair, and he was requested to sit down.

Bob did as he was order to do, and he sat down in the chair, with the back of the chair facing the back of the line, and the left side of the chair was set against the wall.

A nurse nearby came over to him, and took his pulse, blood pressure, and drew blood. The nurse did this by walking behind him, rolling up his right his sleeve.

First, the nurse wrapped a machine around Bob's right wrist, that started to apply pressure to his right wrist.

Bob thought, 'They must be checking my pulse and blood pressure.'

Bob then felt the machine release. With the nurse taking off the small machine off his right wrist.

A few seconds later, Bob felt the nurse swapping something wet on the interior side of his right elbow.

Bob mentally guessed, 'That must be alcohol. And given the angle of my arm, they are likely going to stick me butterfly needle into the vein, on the interior side of my right elbow.'

When the nurse stuck the needle into Bob's arm, it hurt Bob. Though, Bob choose to remain silent.

While the nurse drew Bob's blood, Bob stared at the line in front of him, as he thought, 'This is new. And painful. Though, I do have a question.' He asked, “Are you testing for drugs?”

The nurse answered, in english, “Yes. And we are also testing your DNA. Including a basic medical scan of your genetic structure.”

Bob chose not to reply, and he instead left the nurse finished her work.

When the nurse finished, she pulled out the needle, swapped the area again with alcohol, pulled out the self-sealing vacuum tube vial of Bob's blood, place the needle in a needle guard, then discarding the needle, tube, and hub into the nearby bio-waste box, which was attached to the left wall, by the chair Bob was sitting in.

The nurse then placed a small sterile cotton ball over she had take the blood, and she used a small strip of medical tape to hold the ball of cotton in place. Next, she rolled down the sleeve of Bob's right arm.

The nurse stood up straight, and came into Bob's field of vision. He saw the nurse hold the vial of blood in her left palm, as she used a pen, in her right hand, to write down. down something on the label, on the side of the vial, that was full of his blood. She then put the vial on a tray with other vials of blood taken from the prisoners, that was on a table, on the other side of the metal partition, to Bob's left.

Bob turned to the nurse, as he calmly requested, “Please, let me know if something serious turns up.”

The nurse turned to looked at Bob, as she dryly responded, “In those cases, we refer such people to one of the doctors on staff. We don't want our prisoners dying on us. Now, get up. I have patients that need my attention.'

Bob did as instructed, as he got up, and continued to follow in the line of prisoners.

A few minutes later, Bob reached the end of the line, a officer then lead to a small room.

Inside the room, there was a table, between two chairs, a mirror on one side, and a video camera, with microphone in one of the upper corners of the room.

The chairs were set far enough away from the table, to be able to be sat down in, without moving them.

The office ordered, “Sit down in the chair on the far side of the room. And do not get up. And do not try anything. Someone will here to see you, shortly.”

While still handcuffed, Bob walked over and sat down in the chair on the fair side of the table, with him facing the door.

The officer then turned, and walked out the room, shutting the door behind him.

Bob thought, 'I guess I am just going to have to wait. Though, I am glad I don't need to go to the bathroom right now. I am glad I went, in V.T.'s ship, before we docked here.'

And so, Bob silently waited in his chair for a little while.

Later, while still cuffed, since Bob was without his watch, but he mentally guessed, 'I would say that I have been here for at around an hour. This is clearly an interrogation room. And right now they want me to sweat some.'

'I am not going to give them the satisfaction of seeing me worry.'

'I realized that they are likely going to interrogate me because I had no ID. And I don't have the time for this. And I didn't even do anything thing. Still, I got to keep my mouth shut, or I am doomed.'

A few seconds later, the door the room opened.

Bob thought, 'Speak of the devil. I guess the cops here are both corrupt and impatient.'

Bob watched as two male cops in plain clothing walked into the room. The man to Bob's right shut the door behind them.

Both men chose to remain standing., as they looked down at Bob.

As Bob looked up at them, he mentally whined, 'Great, I am about to experience the oldest cliche in law enforcement. The good cop, bad cop routine.'

One of the men said, in english, “Hello Bob. We have some questions for you?”

The second man stated, in english, “It seems that we when we did background, and DNA, check on you. And we could find nothing about you identity.”

Bob thought, 'That was a quick turn around on the DNA and background checks.'

The first man said, “But, we did find something very interesting about your DNA.”

Bob remained silent.

The second man said, “Something really interesting, that the boys at the top would like to know more about.”

Bob thought, with worry, while doing his best not to show it on the outside, 'This is not good on, so many levels.'

The first man asked, “We need to know if you are even human?”

The questioned caught Bob completely off guard. His jaw dropped, as he went, “Huh?”

Bob quickly composed himself, as he thought, 'I have to talk. This line of questioning usually ends up with the person as lab subject, or worse.'

Bob requested, “Officers. Could you please explain what you are talking about? This is not the line of questions I was expecting.”

The first man answered, “Sure. In our tests we found two distinct, thought dormant, DNA chains in your genetic code that seem be bound near each other. The proteins of these two DNA chains do not correspond with anything known of life in this solar system.”

The second man stated, “We have not fully complied you DNA, yet. But, we will. Still, except for these two chains of DNA. So far. Everything else in your genetic code states you are human.”

Bob thought, 'Using good cop, bad cop roles to question someone's humanity. That is a new one. And I have to play this very carefully.'

Bob calmly said, “Please, listen to me. In my eighteen years of life, I have seen almost every alien sci-fi movie I can get my hands on. So, I know what I am talking about when I say I got no special powers. I am not some alien spy. I am not a pod person. This is not, Escape to Witch Mountain.”

Bob mentally conceded, as he thought, 'Well, it is, in a way. But, not in the way these two men think.'

Bob continued, “I am human. My parents are human. My family is human. I just graduated high school, with okay grades. And I just want to go home. And that is back to Earth.'

The first man challenged, “Can you prove you are human?”

Bob thought, 'This is going to be tough question to answer. Historical knowledge and pop-culture references are out. I know to many aliens in fiction that liked both. Also, aliens run the entire gambit of wants and lives. From chasing after women and after men. But, there has to be something I can use. Something embarrassing, that that humans would care about, but not mention to aliens... No. Something uncomfortable... Mentioning, that, should work.'

Bob calmly stated, “Yes. As one man to another man, I can prove I am a human man. The one thing a man would never want to listen to from a woman, no matter how sexy she is. But, an alien would likely care less about listening too. That is a woman talking about her monthly period.”

From the two police officer's reactions, Bob could see his statement caught the other two men off guard.

Bob thought, 'Touche.'

The two cops looked at each other.

The first man stated, “He's human.”

The second man said, “And he's a guy. That's for sure.”

They then turned back to looked at Bob.

The first man asked, “Still, what about, Bob here, having no records?”

The second man stated, “He's from Earth. Their records keeping is not that great.”

The first man inquired, “And the alien DNA?”

The second man said, “Even the doctor looking at it stated it is possibly inherited. It is likely a few aliens screwed some of his ancestors in the distant past.”

Bob thought, with annoyance, 'Just great. What a time to learn that aliens not only exist in my reality. But, at least two of those species slept with humanity, in secret, for a very long time. And I am related to them. When I get home, I am going to ask my parents about this matter. Though, I will do it subtly.”

Bob said, “Should I make it back home. I promise I will look into this. I want to know more about this, than you do.”

The second man responded, “I believe you. I also believe that there is nothing else we can learn from you, right now.”

The first man stated, “I suggest we will keep him here, until we can figure out what to do with him.”

The second man replied, “I agree.”

Bob thought with disappointment, 'There goes my chances of getting home.'

The second man look up at the camera in one of the upper corners of the room, as he requested, “Please, get someone to take this man to a cell.”

A minute later, two uniformed, male officers came into the room, and escorted Bob to the prison section of the police space station.

(_)

Ten minutes later, Bob stated silent as the two police officers lead him down a well lit hallway, which line with dimly lit cells, lined with metal bars, and barred doors that were facing the hallway.

When they reach the last two jail cells, one of the opened he cell to Bob's right side, as the other officer drew his gun.

Bob looked into the cell. Evening though it was dimly lit, Bob could make out two other men already inside the cell. A dark skinned man, and an asian man.

The office with the gun stated outside the cell, as the other officer lead Bob inside the cell.

After they were inside the cell, the officer by Bob undid his cuffs. The officer took the cuffs with him, as he left the cell, and locked the door behind him, with an electronic lock.

The other officer then holstered his weapon. The two officers then turned towards the exit to the hallway, and walked away from the cell they left Bob in.

Bob took a moment to look around the cell he was now imprisoned in.

While facing the inside of the cell, Bob saw, that on the wall to his right side, that there were two cots, in bunk bed fashion, with one cot mounted to the wall, above the other cot that was mounted to the wall.

On the left wall of the cell was was a toilet, some toilet paper, and a restroom sink.

Bob thought, 'The police are stacking the prisoners in groups of three, in cells with two cots. The police here are not just corrupt, and impatient. They are mean.'

Bob walked over to the two men.

Bob came to a stop, a few feet from the two men.

The two men turned to look at him.

Bob thought, 'I might as well be friendly. Given that chances are, they are here for the same reason I am.'

Bob held out his right hand, as he greeted them, “Hello. I am Bob.”

The dark skinned man shook his hand first. The man stated, in english, “I am Doug.”

After Doug let go of Bob's hand, the asian man shook it, as he stated, in english, “I am Howard.”

Howard then let go of Bob's right hand.

Doug stated, “We are just two space truckers that go caught in this corrupt dragnet.”

Howard said, “But, with luck, we will be out of here in a few hours.”

Bob replied, “I wish you both luck.”

Howard replied, “Thank you.”

Doug commented, “We appreciate that.'

Bob heard a familiar voice say, “Well looked who the cat dragged in.”

Bob thought, 'Jayne.'

It was then that Bob looked over at the cell, across from his cell. He saw Jayne, Simon, and Mal, without their weapons. And Mal being without his brown long coat. Mal and Jayne was standing near the metal bars, at the front of the cell. Simon stood behind the two other men, while he leaned against against the side walls, to his right side.

Bob thought, 'So near, and yet so far... For the both of us... I guess they got caught the same way V.T. and I did. And they did not want to get into a fight with the police. So, they peacefully surrendered. They must have been arrested, and booked, while I was being interrogated, and held in that room. And give the time difference, they must have repaired the Serenity faster than V.T. thought they would.'

Mal said, “I guess this universe can be generous. Sometimes.”

Bob walked closer to the bars, as he said to the three men, in a flat tone voice, “Hello good sirs. I believe we have not met. I am being held here for not having an ID. Given the recording devices in this area, I think it would be best if we all not talk to each other. For your sakes.”

Bob could tell that Mal and Jayne were about to reply, when Simon walked up behind them, and he gently laid a hand on one of each of their shoulders.

Mal and Jayne turned to looked at Simon.

Simon just shook his head.

Wordlessly both men understood what Simon was telling them, without saying a word to them.

The three men walked further back into their cell, while Bob turned away from them, and walked further into his cell.

Bob looked over at Doug and Howard, whom were both sitting on the bottom bunk,

Bob asked, “Do got room for one more?”

Doug replied, “Sure.”

Howard nodded in agreement.

Both men moved over on the cot, making room for Bob to sit down beside them.

Bob at on the bunk, with Doug in the middle, to Bob's right side. And Howard on the other end, on Doug's right side.

After Bob sat down on the bunk, all three men just sat their in silence, as they waited for the police to come for them.

As they waited, Bob thought, 'I am screwed. I know of no way out of here. Asking for a lawyer will just cause even more incriminating questions to be asked of me. The sad part is that I can guess how this whole situation got started.'

'The hacker space pirates that pillaged ships near Earth's Moon during the Cowboy Bebop series, episode nineteen, Wild Horses. Over four years ago in this reality. Did such a thorough job of piracy in space that ISSP top brass assigned a garrison space station here to guard the travel to and from Earth, and Earth's Moon.'

'At least those three criminal idiots got themselves killed at the end of that episode. Only fools would buy a hackware without the software to safely remove hackware, on the fly, if it is used on your own systems.'

'The problem came when they had to man the space station. Almost no one from the rest of the Sol System likes Earth, anymore. They think, given it literally rains asteroids on Earth all the time, at random, that only fools would still want live there. And maybe they are right, on that matter.'

'Still, the people they needed likely didn't just volunteer. So, they just scrapped the bottom of the barrel for the assigns. Those cops that were crooked, incompetent, or both. And one of them got the bright idea for this shakedown, mass arrest, dragnet scam.'

'The only reason this has not been made public is because they let most of those go, with small fines. I am one of the exceptions. For those caught and let go, it is more of a nuisance that is not worth fighting in court. Because they would have likely take it up in court on Earth, or on Earth's moon. Neither of which the victims would like stay for a while, or return to, if they can help it.'

'Those ships that try to outrun the dragnet are destroyed, their crew killed, with the ISSP officers given the justification for those murders by saying, their victims were attempting to evade the law.'

'Also, in this dragnet, these crooked cops catch real criminals. From escape criminals, to smugglers, to those that have previously fallen through the cracks. So, this dragnet pads their monthly arrests reports. And this dragnet looks good on paper for the ISSP top brass and politicians. Whom oversee the ISSP. And because the ISSP are not raiding the locals, the locals don't complain.'

'Along with this. No one in power, here, really gives a damn about Earth. And because everyone, from the corrupt cops in the field, to the courts getting revenue from the fines, to the top brass and politicians getting good arrest records and reports, these grievous violations of human rights, and gross police state actions, that I have personally seen in my entire life, is swept entirely under the rug.'

'And as an Earthling, whom believes in due process, I find this scam to be offensive on several levels.'

(_)

Over the next couple of hours, the police came and got Doug and Howard. With them saying they were returning Doug and Howard to their ships, with small fines.

This left Bob alone, while sitting on the lower cot, with his thoughts. While being less than fifteen feet from thieves and killers that wanted his hide.

Though, given the cells were likely wired for video and audio, neither Bob, nor those after him, said a word on the matter.

With Bob, nor the male members of the Serenity crew even looking at each other. Let alone talking to each other.

A number of hours later, Bob was becoming increasingly worried. So, Bob decided to appeal to a high authority.

Bob looked up, as he quietly prayed, “Dear lord. I would first like to thank you for the help you have given me so far. Yet, through no fault of my own, I have found myself, once again, trapped. I have run out of options. So, I am appealing to your mercy. Could you please give me a little more help?”

“I know you only help those that help themselves. And I am trying here. It is just that I have run out of other options.”

A few seconds later, from the hallway, Bob heard male voice complain, in english, “Hey. Watch it with that weapon. I am already handcuffed.”

A second later, Bob turned to his left, towards the bars to the hallway, and he saw two officers remove the cuffs, and push a very familiar man into the cell with him.

The officers then shut the door. The door automatically locked, a second after the door fully shut.

While the voice was different, the black beard on his face and his left arm were unmistakable.

Bob thought, with barely contained glee, 'That is the bounty hunter, Jet Black. Also known as the Black Dog, former cop, a main character in the Cowboy Bebop series, and one of the most badass men in the Sol System of this reality.'

Bob looked up, as he quietly said, “Thank you, lord.”

Bob then looked at Jet, as he thought, 'Sweet Jesus. I just hit the jackpot. If anyone came to get me out of this mess. It is Jet. He is a former ISSP officer, he would know everything I needed to get out. The problem is, how to convince him to help me?'

'I cannot come off as to much of a fanboy, nor desperate. This means I will have to downplay a lot of my emotions, because I am both.'

'Let's see. If I remember my information correctly. Jet was born December third, two thousand thirty-five. That makes him thirty-nine years old. He does looked much different then he did in the Cowboy Bebop series. Though, the years had not really been that kind to him. Still, he appears to be in great physical shape. And he is a decent guy. So, I might be able to work something out with him.'

Bob saw the guards were walking away, down the hallway, as Jet stood there, looking at him.

Bob thought, 'And I guess now is the best time to say, hi.'

Bob stood up, and turned towards Jet, and walked over to the older man.

As Bob did so, he heard Jet grumble, “When I was in ISSP, they would never have dared pulled a corrupt dragnet like this.”

Bob said, “Hello. I am Bob. What is your name?”

Bob extended his right hand.

Jet shook Bob's hand, as he stated, “I am Jet.”

Both noted that the other man had a firm, but not tight grip, as they shook hands.

A few seconds later, they broke their handshake.

Bob politely said, “Well, Jet. It nice to me you. I could not help overhearing. You were once with ISSP. Don't worry. I don't hold you, nor ISSP, as a whole responsible, for the rotten apples here.”

Jet responded, in a happy tone of voice, “I appreciate that Bob. Yea. I don't know how this happened. When I got out, I am going to call in a few favors, and figure out what is going on. So, what are you in for?”

Bob honestly answered, “I got caught in this same dragnet. I don't have an ID, and I on a tight schedule to get to Earth.”

Jet stated, “You guys from Earth have it rough. I know from my time in ISSP, it is difficult for an adult from Earth to get an official ID, when they become and adult. And due to the asteroids hits, and harsh living standards, many children are not put into the official system database when they are born.”

Bob agreed, “Everything has its drawbacks. But, Earth is my home, and I want to go home.”

Jet replied, “I can appreciate that.”

Bob commented, “I get the feeling that being assigned to Earth duty is no well likely in there of the system.”

Jet stated, “I will be honest. Given the dangers of the asteroid field, and the constant asteroid hits on Earth, most people, in the rest of the system think folks are crazy to live down there. And there is a very real danger of being killed, by being hit by a small asteroid, even this far from the asteroid belt.”

“Also, even though the risks are constantly studied in detail, even with computer navigation, every time someone goes to Earth, or comes back from it, there is a real chance of being killed by a rogue asteroid. Most ISSP dread the Earth and Moon assignment, almost as badly as being assigned to Pluto.”

Bob questioned, “That bad? Huh?” He thought, “Given the dangers here, I cannot fault him for his opinion.'

Jet inquired, “Yep. So, you said you are on a tight schedule?”

Bob answered, “Yea. If I don't get down to Earth in the next several hours, I miss my ride. Likely forever.”

Jet shook his head, as he said, in a sympathetic tone of voice, “Tough break. If I could help you, I would. But, I am likely getting out of here in a few hours anyway. With a fine. And once I am out, I am going to raise hell about this.”

Though Bob did not show it on the outside, Bob bitterly thought, 'Damn.'

Bob responded, “Thanks anyway. And good luck.”

Jet replied, “Thanks.”

Jet then remained standing, as Bob went back to sitting on the bottom cot, in the cell.

A couple of minutes later, without warning, Jet looked at the inside of his left, cybernetic forearm. Jet then walked over to the far back left corner of the cell, with him facing the corner.

Bob got up from his cot, and walked over to Jet, on Jet's right side. He asked, “What is it, Jet?”

Jet cracked a grin, as he leaned over Bob's left shoulder. He whispered into Bob's left ear, “I am getting a call on my vidphone.”

Jet crouched down, while continuing to face the far left corner of the cell, to give himself privacy.

Bob leaned over him, to get him some more privacy, and to see what Jet was doing.

Bob watched as Jet slid a panel on the underside of his left cybernetic wrist, to reveal a small blank video screen.

Bob quietly asked, “You have a vidphone installed in your arm?”

Jet looked at the screen, as he softly answered, “Yes. I got it installed a few years ago. It even has a camera and microphone. For two way communications. It is set to my cybernetic systems, to alert me when I get a call. But, except for that. And the power it needs to fiction. I am in not connected to my nervous system. Nor, my brain. In any way. I know to many hackers that can hack the human mind, in such ways.”

Bob softly compliment, “That is intelligent thinking on your part.”

Jet smiled, as he whispered, “Thanks.”

There were some buttons small below the screen, that were also hidden in the panel. Jet used his right hand set the volume low, before answering the call.

Jet pushed the answer button and the blank screen changed to color, as they saw the face of a young redheaded, tanned teenager that Bob immediately recognized as Ed. Only she was a few years older.

Bob thought, 'Ed must be seventeen by now. And just by her face, I can tell that she is no long looks like a kid. She looks like a teenage girl, on the verge of become a full woman... Like Franny. Only younger. I still wonder if they are related?'

Jet quietly said, “Hi Ed. You are the last person I would expect to call me.”

Ed stated, “Privacy good. No cameras now. And soon no locked cell doors.”

Jet spoke a little louder, as he replied, “Good. So, you are planning a jail break. Why?”

Ed seriously said, “Jetty, you need to help Bobby escape. And escape quickly. Bobby on schedule he must keep.”

While leaning over Jet, Bob asking the screen, “How do you know my name?”

Ed smiled at Bob, as she replied, “Bobby. I know lot about you. All fun. Me like.”

Ed's comment worried Bob, as he thought, 'This is not good. But, I cannot look a gift horse in the mouth. I have got go with the situation.'

Jet asked, “How big of an escape do you have in mind, Ed?”

Ed simply replied, with her grin still on her face, “Everyone.”

Jet commented, “You never do go small, Ed.”

Bob hid a snicker, as he thought, 'Now, that is an understatement. In episode nine, Jamming with Edward, that introduced Radical Edward. AKA Ed, in the Cowboy Bebop series. The episode ended with first Ed remote piloting the Bebop to land right in front of her. So, she could join the crew.'

'Then, Ed immediately top herself, because the end of the episode showed that she hilariously using space lasers to literally carve a smiley face into the continent of South America... The girl is nut. But, she is my kind of a nuts.'

Ed commented, “You of the Bebop taught Ed to always go big. Or, go home.”

Jet let out a small laugh, as he conceded, “That we did, Ed. That we did.” Jet continued, as he pointed out, in a more serious tone of voice, “Still, an escape is going to be dangerous.”

Ed added, “No worries on weapons. Their weapons lockers are going to be locked to the police. So, no weapons. Also, barracks and personal sections will be locked off. So, no reinforcements. Trapping most If the policee-weecee are smart, they will run and hide, and let everyone escape. And ten minutes after you guys are out of there, I am frying their computer records, so none of the victims will be harmed later by legal action.”

Jet said, “You are one of a kind, Ed.”

Ed smiled, a toothy smile, as she replied, “Yep. And from what I am told, Bobby-Bob needs a few things done before he leaves.”

Bob asked, “Told?”

Ed winked, as she said, “A girl has her secrets. Just focus on what you need. Even you have your secrets.”

Bob felt very worried about what Ed just said.

Jet asked, “Do you know what she is talking about?”

Bob thought for a few moments, then he realized, as he answered, “I have to go get somethings at the evidence room. Also, I have to stop by the medical section. Do you know how to get there?”

Jet stated, “Yes. The layout to all these police stations are pretty much the same.”

Bob replied, “Well, good luck, boys. Give my best to Faye-Faye.”

Ed then ended the transmission.

Jet turned off the screen, slid the panel back up on the screen, and locked it in place.

Bob leaned up straight, as he took few steps back.

Jet then stood up, and turned to face Bob.

Bob inquired, “Is she always that... screwy?”

Jet answered, “She use to be a lot worse. When she was younger. But, that is a discussion for another time. Okay. When the cell doors open, waited a full minute for the other escapees to get to the guards. Then, we just walk right out of here. If Ed has everything covered. Like the genius I know she is, We should be find, and have no serious problems, getting to where we need to go, and to the Bebop.”

Bob replied, “Glad to hear it. I am surprised you are going to help me, Jet.”

Jet stated, “Bob, if Ed says you need help, then I will help you. Even though Ed is crazy, she is a good judge of character.”

Bob thought, 'No arguments there.'

Both of them turned to face the barred doors of their cell, with Jet standing to Bob's right side.

A few seconds later, the doors to all the cell doors automatically opened.

Bob then realized, as he commented, “Jet. There is just is one problem with Ed's escape plan.”

Jet flatly inquired, “What?”

Bob stated, “Long story short, the three men in the cell in across from us, want my hide.”

Jet conceded, “That could be a problem.”

Bob and Jet watched as Mal and Jayne exited the cell they were in, walked across the hallway, and entered Bob and Jet's cell.

Meanwhile, Simon stood in the hallway, a few feet from them.

Mal and Jayne came to a stop just inside the cell, with Jayne standing to Mal's left side.

Both Mal and Jayne looked at Bob and Jet.

Mal lips curled into a smirk, as he casually asked, with amusement in his tone of voice, “Will wonders never cease?”

Bob quickly thought, with worry, 'There is only one flaw to this plan. I have to get through Mal and Jayne. I do not think Simon will join in the fight. I gave him no reason to dislike me. It is likely Mal that wants me, and Jayne is just the muscle for him to do it.'

Bob casually said, “Hi guys. I don't see why you guys are upset with me. I was a complete gentlemen”

Mal admitted, “True. Which is why I am not going to kill you just yet.”

Jayne commented, “Sorry about this, Bob. But, I got to follow the captain's orders. By the way, Inara did give me your message. If you come peaceful, I promise to do my best to make sure you get out of this alive.”

Bob looked at Jayne, as he said, “I sincerely find you offer touching, Jayne. But, I really don't have the time for this.” Bob turned to Mal, as he requested, “Can we just quickly talk about this, right here, Mal?”

Mal shrugged, as he answered, “Not really. I am taking you back to the Serenity. And I am going to find out what you know. If cooperate, and stay nice, you might make it out alive.”

Before anyone else could react, Jet rushed at Mal and Jayne.

Jet began with a powerful punch with his right, human fist, to Jayne's jaw.

The force knocked Jayne back against the bars, as he slumped to the ground, while rubbing his jaw.

Jet then followed his punch up, but kneeing Mal in the stomach with his left knee, knocking the wind out of him.

Jet swiftly circle around Mal, and used his left cybernetic arm to put Mal into a headlock.

While keeping Mal in a headlock, Jet sternly said, “Alright, listen up. I don't care what your problems are with him. But, this boy is under my protection. Do you understand?”

Mal gasped out, “Yes.”

Bob could not hide his smirk, as he thought, 'Now, this is a big damn heroes moment, used against the people that invented the big damn heroes moment.'

Bob then noticed that Jet was slowly tightening his headlock on Mal.

Bob mentally realized, with worry, 'Jet is about to either seriously cripple, or kill, Mal. That would be a death sentence to all of us.'

Bob swiftly said, “Jet. Please, Do not kill them. Or, seriously harm them. While they can be jerks, they do not deserve death, nor worse.” Bob mentally added, 'Besides, if anything happened to Mal, or his crew, the rest of the Serenity crew would hunt us to the ends of the multiverse to exact their revenge.'

Jet let Mal from his headlock, causing Mal to fall to the floor, gasping for air.

Jet turned to face Mal and Jayne, as he forcefully stated, “You are lucky the boy here cares about you.”

Mal and Jayne looked up at Jet.

Mal mentally realized, 'Without my guns, we are out classed by this man. I will get Bob later.'

Mal turned to Jayne, as he asked, “How is you jaw?”

Jayne rubbed his jaw, as he looked at Mal. He answered, “It's not broken. Just sore. If that is what he can do with his human arm. I would hate to see what he can do with his mechanical one.”

Mal replied, “Good point.”

Jayne asked, “What are you orders, captain?”

Mal ordered, “Fall back, and get to the ship.”

Mal and Jayne got up and backed out of the cell, and towards Simon, whom was smirking behind them.

When they turned to face Simon, the doctor quickly dropped his smile.

Mal quietly demanded, “Simon. Why did you not help us?”

Simon pointed out, “If I get beat up, I will not be able to patch you up.”

Jet and Bob heard the comment, and they both snickered, a little.

Jayne said, “Captain. He has a point there. He is a doctor first. A fighter second. Given his skills, and what his sister can do, let us be happy about that fact.”

Mal just turned away from his to subordinates, and towards the exit to the cell block, as he growled, “Come on. Let's hope the girls are free, as well. We will either find them at our ship, or we will backtrack them to where they are being held.”

Simon commented, “That will not be a problem.”

Mal did not bother to look at Simon, as he kept walking. He stated, “Good.”

Simon and Jayne then followed behind Mal, as all three of the men then briskly walked towards the chaos of the other escapees, as they headed for their ship.

Bob heard Jet say, in a soft tone of voice, “I have no doubt. By the time we get to the Bebop. I will being seen Faye by the hatch to the Bebop.”

Bob thought, 'I agree with you on that one. And I would say so. Unfortunately, until you introduce me to Faye. I cannot let you know that I know about her. Without that becoming the risk of you not helping me.'

Jet turned to Bob, as he stated, “Bob. Once we get to the Bebop, you have better explain what is going on.”

Bob looked at Jet, in his eyes, as he responded, in a direct tone of voice, “As soon as we are on your ship, and heading towards Earth, I will tell you everything before we reach the Earth.”

Bob thought, 'At that point. I will have what I need. And I will be heading to Earth. So, I don't care if I have to tell them everything. I was planning to tell V.T. everything, anyway. For getting me to Earth.'

Jet replied, “Good. Now, follow me. The evidence room is this way. And be mindful of the other prisoners, and the guards. Both could cause trouble for us.”

Bob said, “Yes, sir.”

Jet smiled as the fact that Bob has called him, sir. He then turned and started walking towards out of the cell, and towards the main door that lead from their cell block, to the rest of the station.

As they exited their cell, and entered the hallway, they saw everyone had already left. Bob saw all the cells were empty.

Bob thought, 'Everyone knows what the cops are doing here is illegal. And they know it is in their best interest to escape, or they risk being killed, in a coverup, when the escapees let the rest of the solar system know what is going on here.'

Bob then continued to follow Jet out of the cell block, and deeper into the spacestation.

(_)

Ten minutes later, with little trouble, they made it to the entrance to the evidence room.

Fortunately, the door to the evidence room was open. And as the two men walked inside, they saw no one was inside.

Jet ordered, “Find what you need, and let's get out of here.”

Bob then looked through the racks and shelves in the room, for his gym bag.

Jet quietly followed Bob, further into the evidence room.

On one of the large shelves he saw his zipped up gym bag. He grabbed it and unzipped it open.

Bob quickly checked inside, to see if everything he had in that universe, was still in that gym bag.

Luckily everything he had in it was still there. His clothing, shoes, laptop still in its box, reality device, cellphone, watch, wallet, knife, car keys, nail clippers, handkerchief, necklace, and shades, were still in the bag.

Bob happily thought, 'Yes.'

Bob pulled out several items from his bag. He put his keys, handkerchief, nail clippers, and cellphone into his pants pockets. He put his folded knife into the interior side of his right boot. He then puts on his necklace.

Finally, he put on his watch, and looked at the countdown on it. The countdown stated, “05:31:36”

Bob thought, 'I still have plenty of time. Good.'

Then, a piece of clothing on one of the racks caught his eye.

While holding his gym bag, he thought, 'Is that was I think it is?' He got a wicked grin, as he continued his thought, 'It is.'

Bob then grabbed the item off the hook and stuff it into his gym bag, before he zipped up his gym bag.

Bob slung the strap to his bag over his right shoulder, as he thought, 'That will teach Mal try come after me, so as to harm me. After I was such the well mannered guest on his ship.'

From ten feet away, Jet had been watching Bob do all this. He asked, “Are you finished here?

Bob turned to Jet, as he answered, “Yes. We need to head to the medical bay next.”

Jet said, “The med-bay is this way.”

Jet then turned and headed out of the room, with Bob following behind him.

(_)

At that moment, in the hallways leading along the dock section of the Moon Guard space station, River, Zoe, Inara, Kaylee, and Daiyu were fleeing to the Serenity, after their cell doors, on women cell block were open.

Just then, Daiyu noticed something through a nearby window that showed out into the docked ships.

Daiyu saw one ship in particular that she recognized. She thought, 'If I was Bob, that is the ship I would like be on, to get out of her.'

Daiyu turned to Zoe, as she said, “Zoe. I think I know which ship Bob will escape on. But, I am not sure. I can handle it alone. If I am wrong, then you all can still beat Bob to his destination.”

The group stopped in their tracked, as River looked at Daiyu, at the same time Zoe did.

River stated, “Zoe, please let Daiyu do this.”

Daiyu turned and smiled at River, as she thought, 'Thanks.'

River returned Daiyu's smile..

Zoe stated, “Okay. Do what you want you need to do, Daiyu. I will let the captain know.”

Daiyu turned to Zoe, as she said, “Thank you, Sir.”

Daiyu then headed off in one direction, as the other women headed in another direction.

(_)

Five minutes later, Jet and Bob opened the unlocked door to the medical bay of the spacestation. When they walk inside the room, Bob saw that it was a large open space that was divided into several sections.

There was a patient bed area. A patient exam table, with medical scanners on ceiling mounted limbs by it. And in the back was a lab section with machines connected to computers to scan blood and other fluids.

Bob and Jet saw, that besides themselves, inside the room, there was just one other person. A man in a long white lab coat, whom was looking at as a computer monitor, on a rectangular lab counter, by the lab section of the room. With one long end side of the rectangular lab counter facing the doctor, and the other long end side facing Jet and Bob.

Bob thought, 'That must be the doctor look at my DNA. Because, that would be the only reason a person would stick around, and not run, nor hide, in this jail break.'

Bob was to Jet's left side, as the two men walked further into the room.

As they approached the man, Jet cautioned, “No names.”

Bob replied, “My thoughts exactly.”

The doctor looked up from his computer, as he demanded, in english, “What are you doing in here?”

Bob casually said, “Relax. I only want to know what you know about myself. Consider this, doctor-patient confidentiality, taken to the next level.”

Bob heard Jet chuckle, as his remark.

Bob continued to look at the doctor, as he asked, “Do you know what is going on outside?”

The doctor stated, “No. I have more important work in here.”

Bob explained, “There has a been a mass escape happening right now. I say escape. Not riot. As we walked here, it has become clear that everyone of the prisoners wants out, not to hurt the police. That is intelligent of them. Because it means less repercussions for them later. Still, your station's scam is about to be blow wide open. Anyway, you have my DNA here and I want it back.”

The doctor responded, “Sorry. But, we take DNA of all our prisoners. And I do not have time to sort it out which is sample yours. Right now, I am almost finished complying the DNA of one person that is very important. This discovery will win me the Nobel prize.”

By then, Bob and Jet has stopped ten feet from the counter, from which the doctor was standing across from them.

Bob and Jet continued to look a the Doctor, as Bob asked, “The DNA sample with the supposed alien DNA?”

The comment about aliens caught Jet's attention, but he remained silent.

The doctor made a concerned expression on his face, as he inquired, “How did you know?”

Bob deadpanned, “You're interrogators were not very secretive about my questionable family tree.”

The doctor realized, as he blurted out in surprised, “You're the alien?”

Bob firmly stated, “I loath it when people make assumptions. I am not an alien. My family are not aliens. We are human. Just because of the possibility that some of my distant ancestors had a few rolls in the hay with something possibility not human does not mean we are not human.”

“Bill Murray said it best about my people. Americans. We are mutts. The movie the quote is from a film titled, Stripes. You may have heard of it. The movie is likely considered a classic now.”

The doctor said, “I do not recall that movie. Still, you have DNA from at least two different alien species.”

Bob casually said, “In the long run, as long as it doesn't give me, nor my family health problems, I could care less.”

Jet turned to Bob, as he spoke up, “Damn. you are getting more interesting by the minute.”

Bob turned to Jet, as he responded, “Thank you. Can you please, gently, remove this man, from where he is, so I can get to his computer.”

As Jet walked to his right, between Bob and the counter. He then walked around the counter, over to the doctor.

While Jet approached the doctor, the doctor said, “Hey. Wait a minute. Do you understand the possible scientific breakthrough I am on the verge of here?

When Jet grabbed the doctor's right upper arm, as he stated, “Probably.”

The doctor said, “This could prove alien life exists.”

Bob thought, 'I wonder what would happened is this doctor learned that, world as myth, theory is real. And that this reality is a work of fiction. With the fiction he knows being just as real, in their own realities, as this reality is. It would likely break him. And I don't have time to get into that now. We have to get this done, and get off this ship.'

Jet continued to firmly hold the doctor's right upper arm, as he commented, “On the off chance he is an alien. I do want to risk upsetting him, and ruining a first contact situation. And thus started an intergalactic war.”

The doctor began to realize the point of view Jet was coming from, as he replied, “Oh...”

Bob could not help, but snicker a little.

Jet responded, “Good. Now, we can do this the easy way, to the hard way. But, you are going to move out of the way.”

The doctor realized he was in no position to argue, as he said, “Fine.”

The doctor then allowed Jet lead him from the lab section of the room, and to where Jet had been previously standing.

When Jet had escorted himself, and the doctor from the counter, where the computer screen was, Bob, with his gym back still hung off his right shoulder, walked by them, and around to the lab counter, to the computer monitor, facing the other way, on the counter.

Bob then noticed monitor was very thin. And that there was a keyboard, and mouse, placed on the counter, in front of, and below computer monitor.

Bob thought, 'The keyboard and mouse will make my work much easier. But first, let's see what is going on with this program that this doctor is running?”

Bob looked at the computer screen.

Fortunately, the text on the screen was in english, and the computer seemed to use the same basic keyboard, mouse, graphical user interface system that computers of his reality, place, and time, used.

Bob looked at the screen and a horizontally rotating male human form around his age, in the nude, with his body's limbs spread apart.

When he looked closer, he realized it was himself. Only, this version of him had slightly shorter hair, was about twenty pound slighter, and was in slightly better physical shape.

Bob thought, 'Damn. I could look a little be better, if I applied myself. While I like my hair the way it is. I could go for a body like that.'

He notice on the screen, below the picture showing his rotating body, a bar stating. “98%”

The the bar got a little bigger, and it stated. “99%”

The bar then hit, 100%, and disappeared, with the word, “DNA compile complete”, on the below his rotating picture.

Bob then watched as the picture of his body change to what his body would look like if the alien DNA was active.

Jet and the doctor watched as Bob's face paled sheet white, and his jaw dropped.

Jet looked at the doctor, as he asked, “What is going on?”

The doctor continued to look at Bob, as he stated, “He must have seen what his body would look like if his dormant DNA was active.”

Jet turned to Bob, as he inquired, “Hey boy. What did the computer show you? Did you skin turned blue, and you grew a third arm?”

Jet's comment broke Bob out of his shock. He looked over at Jet and the doctor. He stated, “No. That would be more believable. Let us just say I lose some body parts, and leave it at that.” Bob then turned to the doctor, as he asked, “Doctor. How would someone activate such DNA?”

The doctor answered, “Without seeing the results of the compile, I can only guess. But, from the DNA already compiled, it seems that it could be triggered on its own.”

Bob eyes widened, as he thought, 'I can turn into that on my own! Dear god, no!'

The doctor offered, “If you let me see the results, I might be better able to answer your question.”

Bob flatly stated, “You cannot see it. This secret is going to my grave. Now, give me your best educated guess.”

The doctor answered, “I would guess some sort of stimulant. Could be an environmental stimulant. It could be food. Or, a chemical that could trigger the dormant DNA to become active. I don't know.”

Bob commented, “It looks like I will be avoiding any exotic foods for the rest of my life. Or, I can track down what triggers is, without triggering it, so I can avoid triggering it.”

Jet stated, “Good luck.”

Bob replied, “Thank you.”

Jet requested, “Now, hurry up. The clock is ticking.”

Bob said, “You don't have to remind me of that. And I should be done in a minute.”

Bob turned his attention back to the computer monitor, as he used his right hand to grip the computer mouse.

On the screen, Bob quickly memorized the blood sample number on the file. He then turned off the program, deleted the data to the trash file, and he then deleted it off the trash file of hard drive.

Next, he set the hard drive the data was on, to defrag, in the hopes the data would be, in full, or in part, overwritten during the defrag.

Bob thought, 'Even thought Ed says she is planning to destroy the records on these computers, I think it is best if I play it safe. I don't have to do a full hard drive format. Especially, a byte, byte format. But, a basic delete and defrag, might do the trick.'

Bob then when over along the table to where there were some vials of blood set out in trays.

Bob mentally reflected, 'If this guy is so obsessed with my blood, then he will have my vial out on the table.'

Bob soon found the vial of blood with same the number as on the file. He picked up the vile and walked over to a nearby sink. There, he opened the vial, poured out the blood into the sink, and he then rinsed off the inside of the vial with soap and water, before dumping the vial in the trash bin, which was beside the sink.

Bob looked over at Jet and the doctor, as he stated, “Done.”

With Bob finished, Jet let go of the doctor's right upper arm.

The doctor rushed over to his computer screen. As he click the GUI with the computer mouse, looking for Bob's file, he stated, “It's gone. It's all gone. All my research is gone. Even the blood sample.” He then looked at Bob, as he pleaded, “Please. Let me take another sample of your blood. I promise I won't hurt you.”

Bob flatly stated, “No.”

The doctor demanded, “Why?!”

Bob firmly answered, “It is my DNA. And tampering with such mad science is never wise.”

Jet looked over at Bob, as he commented, “You're an intelligent, man.”

Bob smiled, as he replied, “Thanks. Now, let's get out of here.”

Jet said, “My ship is this way.”

Jet then lead Bob out of the lab room, and through the space station.

(_)

Ten minutes later, Jet and Bob made it to the airlock hatch to the Bebop space ship, in docking section of the Moon Guard space station.

As they made their way to the Bebop, Bob was watchful not to run into any of the Serenity crew. Fortunately, they had not done so.

They were presently in the zero-gravity part of the station, as they floated, more than ran, to get to the Bebop.

When they reached airlock, they saw Faye, in her usual, yellow, skimpy clothing.

As they approached her, Bob was sorely tempted to do a wolf whistle. But, he wisely chose not to.

Bob thought, 'Damn! Faye is hotter in real life. Sure, the Serenity crew's women are hot. But, they dress fairly conservatively. Even Inara. While, Faye dresses like she is going to a night club.'

When the two men reached Faye, they came to a stop five feet from Faye.

Faye turned to Jet. She inquired, in english, in a voice Bob did no recognize, but was still feminine and pleasant to listen to, even in the slightly annoyed tone of voice that Faye had, “So, what is going on, Jet?”

Jet turned to Faye, as he answered, “We can thank Ed for the jail break?”

Faye smirked, as she said, “Figures. That girl tends to help out in the least expected ways.” She then looked at Bob, as she asked, “Who is this?”

Jet answered, “That is Bob. Ed wants us to help him.” He turned to Bob, as he continued, “Bob, this is Faye.” Jet turned back to Faye, as he went onto say, “Faye, this is Bob.”

Bob looked at Faye, in her eyes, and not her breasts, as he said, “It is nice to meet you, Faye.”

Faye noticed this, as she continued to smile. She commented, “Oh. No looking at the chest, first. Someone taught you manners. Nice, to meet you, Bob.”

Meanwhile, Jet walked over and opened the inner airlock hatch, that lead to the docking tube. He turned to Faye and Bob, as he said, “Now, that introductions are over. Let us get out of here.”

Right after Jet entered the air lock, Faye and Bob followed right behind him, with Jet closing the airlock hatch, after them.

A minute later, they were on their way through the docking tube, to the Bebop, itself.

(_)

At that moment, in the cockpit of the Serenity, River was at the pilot's seat, as she started the engines on the Serenity, while she ran a pre-flight check, at the same time.

Mal was right behind her.

A few seconds later, Zoe walked into the cockpit.

Mal turned to Zoe, as he asked, “Is the crew all on board?”

Zoe answered, “Everyone, but Daiyu.”

Mal inquired, “What is going on? And am I going to like it?”

Zoe explained, “It depends, sir. First, I gave Daiyu permission to do this, because it makes a good plan B, for catching Bob. Daiyu saw a ship in the docked here that she believes that Bob might hitch a ride on. She is going to sneak onto it. She also stated if she is wrong, the rest of us can still beat Bob to the location he is trying reach on Earth.”

Mal thought over Daiyu's plan for a few seconds. He then stated, “Good plan. Worst case scenario is, we will pick her back up later. I like it when my crew shows initiative in a way that does not challenge my authority, and instead helps my plans.”

Zoe responded, “I thought so, sir.”

Mal asked, “Which ship is it?”

Zoe pointed out at the cockpit, at a nearby ship.

The ship that Zoe was pointing to was the Bebop.

As Mal turned, as he looked out the cockpit, at the Bebop. He commented, “That ship doesn't look like much. But, then again, I have learned that looks can be deceivingly.”

Meanwhile, with her back turned to them, River cracked a grin, as she thought, 'If you only knew the truth about Daiyu.'

Mal turned to River, as he asked, “River. How long on the Serenity take, till we are back in the sky?”

River continued to work the control panel of the cockpit, as she stated, “Ten to fifteen minutes. Maybe twenty minutes. Kaylee told me at the transit station. Right before we left. That though the engines are repaired, I need to treat them gently for the next few days, as she gives them a few more once overs. As she called it. So, I am going to slowly spool up the engines.”

Mal complimented, “Good call, River. Take the time you and Kaylee need. We are not in a very serious rush. We know where Bob is heading. And if we meet that ship on same trajectory as we are. That will confirm Bob on board, and we will board that ship.”

Mal then thought, 'And once we are finished here, and we have Bob with us. I am going to figure out how to retrieve an item that the local police took from me. But, that is for later. Right now, Bob is more important, than heading back for something, that can wait to be retrieved later.'

(_)

A few minutes later, Jet, Faye, and Bob floated into the Bebop space ship, itself.

They had entered the Bebop, from the airlock near the living area.

As they floated out of the airlock, and into the ship itself, Bob kept his gym back over his right shoulder. He thought, 'I am going to keep my gym bag with me. Just in case. Still, I have a questions, that I would like answered.'

Bob asked, “Even thought Ed stated that she is erasing the computer records of that station, are you guys not going to get in trouble for escaping?”

With all three of them inside the ship, Jet closed the hatch behind the three adults.

He turned to Bob, as he answered, “Doubtful. If the ISSP tries to make an issue out of it, they risk causing this whole con coming to light, and create a major scandal for them. Which will likely happen anyway. In the end, the ISSP top brass will likely just sweep this under the rug, and reassign everyone involved.”

Bob mentally reflected, 'I thought as much. And there is no point in complaining about the matter.'

Jet continued, “Now, it is this way to the cockpit.”

Jet and Faye then lead Bob towards the cockpit.

A few seconds later, they were on the rotate sections of the Bebop, and as Bob feet touched the floor, enjoyed being in gravity again.

They then continued walking further towards the cockpit of the Bebop.

A minute later, they entered the cockpit, which was not rotating, and they floated towards the pilots seat, which Jet got into, with Faye and Bob floating behind him.

Though, both Faye and Bob were each holding a hand-grip that was attached to the floor, by Jet, and not to one of the nearby walls.

Jet spent the next minute turning on the Bebop's engines, and doing the pre-flight check.

When Jet was ready to make the ship move, he continued to look at the controls, as he stated, “Hold on, while we build inertia. Once that is achieved, you will be able to float freely again.”

Bob asked, “What about the other ships leaving the docks.

Faye giggled.

Jet answered, “Don't worry. The Bebop is pretty maneuverable. And I am a fairly skilled pilot.”

Faye commented, “Yea. You may not be as good as me. But, you are close.”

Jet just groaned in mild annoyance, as he made the engines of the Bebop cause his ship to move.

As the Bebop moved, Bob looked out the cockpit windows.

Bob noticed they were passing by the Serenity, which was still docked.

In the distance, Bob saw a few of the crew in the Serenity, were in the cockpit, from that ship's windows.

Fortunately, the Bebop was not getting closer to the Serenity, as it was passing by the other ship at a diagonal angle.

Still, to play it safe, Bob quickly duck down, until he was flat with the floor, and he cleared his mind, as they passed by the Serenity ship.

Faye noticed this, as she looked at Bob. She asked, with concern, “What is it?”

Bob answered, “I will tell you in a minute. Just tell me when we get out of the docking bay.”

Faye replied, “Alright.”

A minute later, they had exited the docking area and into open space. Faye stated, “We are clear now.”

Bob stopped clearing his mind, as he let himself float up off the floor.

Bob turned to Faye, as he stated, “One of the ships we passed by belonged to some people after me. Jet and I already met a few the men of that crew, in the men's jail cells.”

Faye inquired, “The women of this crew. Were they five women? One was a dark skinned tomboy. Three fair skinned adults. One was an energetic woman. Another was a woman that screams high class hooker.”

“And the third woman was a crazy redhead that would not stop calling me the same nickname that Ed called. Faye-Faye. While she was giggling. How the hell did she know that nickname?”

“And there was a black haired asian lesbian that would not stop taking her eyes off my breasts. And I am sure she was mentally undressing me.”

Bob answered, “That would be the them.”

Faye replied, “Bob, you have my sympathies. I was stuck in cell with two of them, and the other three worth in the cell across from us. And they would not shut up.”

Bob said, “Ouch.”

Faye commented, “Yea. And you must have been the, Bob, they mentioned. The good news is that their captain seems to be the only one, in their group, that really want to capture you.”

Bob replied, “Thanks for letting me know, Faye.”

Faye smiled at Bob, as she responded, “You're welcome.”

From the pilot's seat, Jet asked, “Bob, where exactly are you heading, on Earth?”

Bob turned to Jet, whom was still had his back turned to Bob.

Bob questioned, “The ruins of Aspen Colorado, United States. How long do you think it will take to get there?”

Jet answered, “From here. With luck, it will take four or five hours to get there? It depends on how long it takes it takes to get the proper trajectory angle for re-entry. And another half hour for the re-entry, itself. You are fortunate that I had the Bebop fuel tanks topped off, before Faye and I left Venus. Or, we would likely not have the fuel to do this.”

Bob thought, 'So, that was likely where your previous bounty job was, before you two got arrested here. You were probably heading for Mars. With you both planning a layoff at a space station near Earth's Moon.'

Bob looked at his watch. The countdown read, “05:11:32”

Bob mentally whined, 'Damn. I just have over five hours. As Marty McFly would ask. Why do we have to cut these things so damn close? I am dealing with time travel on two different planes of reality. And I am still on a tight schedule. That is just plain wrong.'

Bob then continued his thoughts, with more determination, 'Still, I am going to make it planetside, even if I how to step outside with a parachute and jump.'

Bob stated, “Jet. I am happy that you two are helping me. Worst case scenario, if you can get me to set my feet somewhere within the old main land United States, within the next five hours. I know I will be fine.”

Jet turned around in his seat, to look at Bob, as he said, “Thank Ed. I am doing this for her. We rarely talk to each other, anymore. But, if she says we need to help you. We will help you.”

Faye commented, “So, he's the whole reason for the jail break?”

Jet answered, “Yea. And Ed said we needed to help, Bob, here.”

Faye took a closer looked at Bob. She commented, “I don't get what Ed sees in him.”

Bob looked over at Faye, as he smirked. He casually said, “Faye Valentine. You, of everyone, should know that people can be full of surprises.”

Faye realized, as she accused, “I never told you my last name, Bob.”

Jet turned back in his seat, to looked at his instruments, in front of him, as he plugged in his calculations to get to where Bob wanted to go. He smiled, as he commented, “Neither did I. But, I am tempted to not ask him how he knows, just so you are annoyed at being on that end of the stick for once.”

Faye turned to Jet, as she pouted, “Don't be mean, Jet.”

Jet and Bob just lightly chuckled, at Faye's comment.

As Bob and Jet stopped chuckling, Bob honestly admitted, “I know a lot about you two. And I am sure we will get to what I know, and how I know, soon enough. I know that when all is said and done, you both are good people. Though, I know Faye can be questionable at times.”

Jet finished with the calculations, as he listened to Bob. He then turned around in his seat to look at Faye and Bob.

Meanwhile, Faye was skeptical, as she stated, “Oh really? I doubt you know that much about us.”

Bob slyly said, “Though, I have never been a meat popsicle, depending on how you look at it Faye, I am older than you are.”

Faye was left speechless.

Jet took a quick look at the Faye's face. And the looked on her face was priceless. Jet laughed, while turning back to the controls. He requested, “Please continue talking, Bob. I haven't seen Faye this tongue tied in years.”

Bob said, “Jet, we will get to the rest later. Right now, I need you to get in touch with the woman that helped me get this far. You know her as V.T., or the Heavy Metal Queen.”

Faye commented, “Her?”

Bob replied, “Yes. Her. Great woman. Good taste in music. If I was twenty years older, I would ask her out.”

Jet chuckled. He then answered, “Contacting her could take a while.”

Bob countered, “Once I know she is fine. I will tell you everything. And I do mean everything. And I promise you, it will be worth knowing.”

Jet agreed, “Alright. You already had me interested enough to what to know what the hell is really going on. I will help you make your call, and then we will talk.”

Bob replied, “Thank you.”

(_)

Twenty minutes later, Jet finally got on the radio with V.T.

Unlike V.T. radio system, Jet's cockpit radio was set up to have the audio always on, like a telephone system. So, they didn't need to use microphones in their hands to talk to others on the radio.

Jet, Faye, and Bob listened, as V.T said over the radio, “Hi Jet. Hi Faye. I haven't heard from you two in years. Not since that time with those smugglers off of Ganymede. How are you doing?”

Jet answered, “Fine, actually. We have someone that would like to speak to you.”

Bob said, “Hi V.T.”

V.T. replied over the radio, “Bob, you got out. Do you still have time?”

Bob answered, “Yep. I should make it. And I have these two wonderful people, along with a redheaded hacker, to thank for my rescue, and last minute reprieve.”

V.T. said, “Glad to hear it.”

Bob inquired, “So, how are you?”

V.T. answered, “Great. They gave me a small fine, and let me go, an hour after our arrest. How did you get out?”

Bob stated, “Mass jail break of everyone.”

V.T. replied, “Wow.”

Bob said, “Well, before I left, I wanted to make sure you were okay, V.T.”

V.T. responded, “I appreciate the concern, Bob. But, you are only going to Earth. I will just look you up the next time I swing by.”

Bob sadly explained. “I am not exactly going to Earth. V.T. Earth is just along the road for my trip. This is likely the last time we will speak. I just wanted to say goodbye. You were a great friend for the short time I have known you. I will remember you for the rest of my life. And wish you a great life.”

“Still, you know those two guys you talked to the transit station. I overheard part of the conversation. I apologize for that. But, I talked to them afterward. If they are what I think they are, you need to take them up on their job offer.”

“V.T., I promise you will likely not regret doing so. You will be walking into a greater reality than you realize. You will be taking your skills to the next level. And you will likely never look back. And if you do, we will likely meet again. If not, it was a pleasure to have known you.”

V.T. said, “Thank you, Bob. And you know what? I will take Little D, and Yuuichi, on their offer.”

Bob slightly smiled, as he replied, “I am glad to hear is, V.T.”

V.T. said, “See you on the hyper-lanes, Bob.”

Bob responded, “See you on the flip side of reality, V.T.”

Bob then nodded to Jet, for Jet to cut the transmission.

Jet flips a switch, on his cockpit control dashboard to turn off the communication channel that was open on the radio. Jet then float out of his chair, as he looked at Faye and Bob.

Things were quiet for a few seconds, until Faye commented, “Bob, from listening to that conversation, it sounds like you are not just going to Earth.”

Jet realized, as he stated, “This has to do with how you know us.”

Bob responded, “Yes. I am not sure how you two are going to take this. I do not know how to tell this to you. So, I am just going to say it outright. I am not from this reality.”

Jet questioned, “I thought you said you were not an alien?”

Bob said, “I am not an alien. I am very human. I am from a parallel reality. A parallel Earth. Set in the early twenty-first century. Think what would have been if there was no gate technology, nor colonization. And thus not gate explosion.” He thought, 'I am not going to give them any hard dates for my own safety from possible paradoxes. They know where I am from. That is close enough.'

Faye and Jet look at each other.

Faye asked, “Is alternate realities possible?”

Jet stated, “Yes. They are possible. The hyperspace gates prove that there are ways to cross dimensional bounties. The gates just work on the layers of this universe. Or, this reality, as it were. But, the higher level theories in quantum physics, released to the public, that I have read about over the years, state that in the multiverse is possible. They call the subject, M-theory.”

Bob commented, “They call it M-theory where I come from, as well. Anyway, two years ago, my time, I found out my boss was a human, from another reality. Another parallel Earth. There was a small war that started in his home reality, a while after he left. The war dealt with several realities.”

“He eventually got caught up in the war. But, he later returned to his in my home reality. And when I got my job back with my boss, my boss let me know some of what happened.”

Bob thought, 'I will leave the gender bending out of this conversation. If I can help it.'

Bob went onto say, “I only got the cliff notes version. From my boss, whom was mostly secondhand source. But, I have to ask. Did you have to deal with any blue or brown robots in the past?”

Jet responded, “Yes. About a year ago. But, we got in touch with Ed, and she hacked them, and said they would no longer be a problem.”

Bob said, “Then, your reality was touched by what happened, as well. The good news is you probably don't have to worry about the robots anymore. From what I understand, the good guys, for lack of a better term, won.”

Faye inquired, “That is good to know. So, how did you end of here?”

Bob answered, “I was in my boss' store one night. I noticed a drawer open. I looked inside and saw my boss' small reality jumping device. And yes, I knew better than to mess with it. But, when I was about to close the drawer, without touching the device, the bottom of the drawer fell out, with the device. The device hit the floor before I could catch it, and I ended up on Mars, in this reality. Almost two days ago. With the timer on the device with a countdown for return, that ends in five hours.”

Jet realized where Bob was going, as he concluded for the younger man, “And you are trying to get back to Earth. Just in case that when it returns to your reality, you don't end up in the same equivalent place as in our reality. Such, as on a non-terraformed Mars, Nor, in space. You need to be on our Earth, in Aspen, to increase your chances of being sent to your Earth, in your Aspen.”

Bob replied, “Exactly. The device is in my gym bag. I do not want to mess with it. So, please forgive me for not pulling it out.”

Jet said, “Don't worry about it. I would not want to mess with a device like that, unless I already knew how it worked. So, Aspen is your home?”

Bob answered, “Yes. Aspen Colorado is the city I come from. I figure if I jump there, I will return to my home town.”

Jet commented, “I get where you are going. Just covering all your bases. Clever thinking.”

Bob replied, “Thank you.”

Faye pointed out, “That still doesn't explain how Bob knows about us.”

Jet turned to Faye, as he stated, “Actually, if this conversation is going the way I think it is, I believe this conversation does explain everything.”

Faye said, “I feel there is a, and, to your comment.”

Jet replied, “Yes.” He looked over at Bob, as he inquired, “Bob. Are we dealing with a, world as myth, theory, situation?”

Bob smiled at Jet, as he answered, “Yes. And I am glad that you understand the situation.”

Jet said, “As a child, I was a sci-fi fan, along with a jazz and blues fan.” He looked at both Bob and Faye, as he continued, “Faye. Long story short. In the reality Bob is from, we are just fiction characters in some fiction series.”

Faye blurted out, “That's nuts.”

Bob said, “It is true. The series took place for you in two thousand seventy-one. The series dealt with you, Jet, Spike, Ed, and Ein.”

Jet commented, “And the plot thickens. Please continued, Bob.”

Bob explained, “The series is an anime, which is titled, Cowboy Bebop. It has a anime movie, and a few manga volumes, with it. The series and movie are a blend of a number of genre. The series and movie are considered some of the finest quality anime ever made.”

“With the series having one of the best american english dubs made. To my knowledge. Even the original creator of the series was impressed with the english dub. The series, this reality, is as you have probably guessed, is a sci-fi western.”

Jet replied, “I figured as much.”

Bob commented, “The series has some great plots, and some great characters development. No offense, for calling you, characters.”

Jet said, “None taken.”

Faye shrugged, as she offhandedly commented, “I have heard worse.”

Bob when on to say, “And then there are the wonderful action scenes. The other worthy note of this series was the really go jazz and blues music produced for the series.”

Jet commented, “No surprise there.”

Faye stated, “I still find this hard to believe.”

Bob said, “Well, Faye. If you want proof. I will give you proof. The first time you met Jet and Spike. It was over a poker chip that was found to have a microchip in it. And you were forced into the role of being a crooked dealer, in a deal that went sour.”

“And while you like to play the bad girl. And though you can kick some serious ass. In truth, you are a nice women. You just have are really bad gambling problem. While, you are also saddled with debts that were not your fault to begin with.”

Faye conceded, “Okay. I believe you, Bob. By the way, I have been working on the gambling problem. And Jet got me a lawyer about the debts. I might be able to get most, if not all of them, forgiven. Just one question. What is the deal with that sword nut that was after Spike?”

Bob responded, “I am glad you asked that question. The series was vague on the details. But, from what fans pieced together, in the syndicate, Spike was Vicious', the sword nut's, mentor and partner. Vicious had a girlfriend named, Julia. After some battle, Spike was badly hurt and was nursed back to healthy by Julia. Spike and Julia eventually slept together, behind Vicious' back, and Vicious found out. This is what lead to Spike faking his death, and the entire mess afterward.”

Jet stated, “So, it was all over a girl. That figures.”

Faye asked, “Who was the girl that Spike was so hung up about?”

Bob answered, “Faye, you met her. The blond woman you helped in that chase, right before Jet had his left leg shot, and Spike disappeared. By the way, Jet, how is your left leg?”

Jet answered, in a happy tone of voice, “Fine. I fully recovered a month after I was shot. Though, thanks for asking.”

Bob replied, “You're welcome.”

Faye said, “That was her. She didn't seem that bad. I can see the attraction. What happened to her?”

Bob sadly replied, “She was killed soon after you two met. That is what set Spike on his reckless course.”

Faye quietly replied, “Oh.”

Bob commented, in comforting manner, “Faye. Jet. If you are wondering, your fans have a very deep respect for both of you. And your friends. We know there were some laughs. And some tears. But, we all wished the best for you. And we hated the way it went down with Spike. And how Ed and Ein left. You guys were great friends. You were a good team.”

Jet softly responded, “Yea. We were.”

Faye stated, a little more cheerful tone of voice, “So, our lives are a work of fiction. There are some places in fiction, that I know of, that I would love to visit. Still, what is life without a little craziness? So, when did this Cowboy Bebop series end?”

Bob said, “It ended with Spike, around four years ago.”

Faye loudly stated, “Four years ago! Are you saying that all those the mad capped adventures, that Jet and I have had, for the last four years have been off screen? And there were a lot of them.”

It was Bob's turn to be left speechless.

Jet laughed at the reactions of Faye and Bob. He then commented, “Now, this is interesting.”

Faye continued rambling on, “Those months we had, Andy as a third crew member, in our bounties on the Bebop. That man is as crazy as Ed. His cowboy and samurai identities were just the start. The guys changed identities almost every week. We had doctors check him twice, on two separate occasions, to see if he had a multiple identity disorder. It turns out that he just likes to keep reinventing himself. Still, he is one hell of a fighter.”

Bob collected himself, as he asked, “What happened with him?”

Faye blurted out, “He got bored with us! Us! And he just up and left.”

Bob commented, “I suddenly regret not having more time to spend with you both. Because I think, the series only scratched the surface of what has happened in this reality.

Jet cracked a grin, as he replied, “You are probably right.”

Bob offered, “By the way, did you to ever hit some big bounties? Or, are you still living on the edge? If you guys are still living on the edge. And are looking for a change of pace. You can come with me.”

Faye said, “No. I like it here.”

Jet commented, “We are doing fine. You could say that we can currently have beef with our bell peppers and beef. For over the last three years.”

Bob laughed. He then stated, “I get the joke. Actually, Jet, the first scene, of the first episode, of the Cowboy Bebop anime, you were showing cooking just the bell peppers for you and Spike, right before you went to T.J. for that red-eye bounty. With you using the bell peppers for a dish that was supposed to be bell peppers and beef.”

Jet smiled, as he said, “I remember that event. Spike really did like to practice his combat skills in the dark.”

Bob carefully asked, “I know this is a sensitive subject. But, I got to ask. The series literally ended right after the end of the battle between Spike and Vicious. The series did not show whether Spike lived, or died. Whatever happened to Spike? Where I come from, it is still one of the great mysteries in the entire anime genre.”

Faye plainly answered, “We don't know. We searched for any signs of him, for months after he disappeared. We learned about the fight, and we found his Swordfish zipcraft. But, nothing else. We never found his body. We both would like to think he lived. But, it has been years since then. And if he is alive, why hasn't he contacted us?”

Jet said, “Don't worry, Faye. We will see Spike eventually. Either in this life, or the next. And when the time comes, if we cannot find him in Heaven, I will be mounting a rescue operation into to the depths of Hell, to go get him.”

Bob grinned, as he complimented, “Jet Black, you truly are the Black Dog.”

Jet smiled, as he said, “Thank you...” He then inquired, in a slightly more serious tone of voice, “Now, those people at the jail. Why are they after you?”

Bob stated, “Long story short. They are reality travelers. Like I am. I don't have a clue how they got to this reality. But, they are here, and they found out that I know who that are.”

Bob thought, 'It is best that I do not mention Chang.'

Bob continued, “First, I have to ask. Faye, when it comes to your childhood. I know your memory is swiss cheese. But, do you remember a sci-fi space cowboy series title, Firefly?”

Faye answered, “Vaguely.”

Jet spoke up, “I know that series, from when I was a child. As I said before, I was a sci-fi fan as a child. The Firefly series, and the Serenity movie was two key examples of such fiction that got me interested in traveling in space, in the first place. That lead me to joining ISSP.”

Bob explained, “As crazy as it sounds, Jet. Those to guys you fought were Mal and Jayne. Post-Serenity movie. The brown hair man behind them was Simon. The rest of the crew, except for Wash and Book, whom, as you likely remember, died in the movie, are here as well on the Serenity. Those were the crazy women that Faye met. Plus, the black haired asian woman they clearly picked up along the way.”

Jet asked, with surprise in his tone of voice, “That's them?!Damn! I thought Mal was taller. Though, I would have liked to get his autograph.”

Bob admitted, “Same here. But, it is clearly not in the cards. And if you run into them, do not let them know that you know who that are. And don't forget, River, whom is now dyeing her hair red. I don't know what. Is a telepathic, supergenius, badass that could take Pierrot Tongpu in a fight. She can read both your minds. She was the one that called you, Faye-Faye, Faye.”

Faye commented, “Oh... That is not good.”

Bob stated, “Don't worry. You likely didn't let her know any seriously private secrets. It seems her telepathy is passive. She can only read what a person is thinking about. If that was not the case, she would have already caught me.”

Faye replied, “That is comforting to know.”

Bob responded, “Yes. It is. Still, along with River. River's brother, Simon. The third guy in that cell that didn’t fight you, Jet. Is also a genius, but not at River's caliber. The rest of the crew are just badasses.”

“Though, avoid River, and do not let the others know what you know. It almost worked for me, I just didn't take into account V.T.'s ship being docked right beside the Serenity, with River seeing me in V.T. cockpit, as she read my mind.”

Jet commented, “It is always the little details that trip up people.”

Bob replied, “Very true.”

Faye said, “You men are something else.”

Bob joked, “Well, Alice. I am the White Rabbit, and we are all going down the rabbit hole together.”

All three of them lightly laughed for a few seconds at Bob's joke.

As they calmed down, Faye asked, “Since you know us so well. What do you think we are going to do, after we drop you off?”

Bob commented, “Likely, after you drop me off, since you are in the neighborhood, you are going to drop by Doohan's to refuel, and to say, hello, to him, during your visit.”

Faye complimented, “You really do know of us well. I am surprised you know about Doohan.”

Bob deadpanned, “Faye, you think a private civilian would personally rebuild, and launch, a Nasa space shuttle into orbit, and it would be part of a science fiction story?”

Jet started laughing, as he said, “He's got you there, Faye.”

Meanwhile, Faye nodded, as she replied, “Good point.”

Bob said, “And watching those scenes were awesome.”

As Jet calmed down, he commented, “No arguments there. As you probably guessed. Spike introduced us to him. And I figured if he could do that with an old relic like a space shuttle, he was worthy to let work on the Bebop. And I have had him do a few tuneups on the Bebop, and our zipcrafts, since then.”

Bob nodded, as he stated, “A wise decision.”

From the Bebop's cockpit windows, Bob then noticed something. He looked passed Jet, and out at the front windows, as he viewed passed the asteroid belt between the Earth and the Earth's Moon, and at the wonderful blue pearl of Earth, that was getting bigger with each passing minute.

Bob said, “My god, it is beautiful.”

Faye asked, “What are you looking at?”

Bob continued to look at the Earth, as he answered, “The Earth. Even pot marked, like this Earth, it is still a sight to behold. I know you are use to going from planet to planet. But, I am not. It is a rare experience for humanity, in my reality, to see Earth from this point of view. And all those that have been to space and seen this sight all agreed that it was a wonderful sight that reminded them of how small both they, and the Earth, are, in the big scheme of things... And they were right.”

Jet turned to Faye, as he quietly said to her, “Let the boy enjoy his moment.”

Faye looked down at Jet, and she simply nodded, in agreement.

After a few of minutes of staring at the Earth, Bob then looked over at the two other adults in the room, as he said, in a grateful tone of voice, “Thanks for give me this moment.”

Jet and Faye looked at him.

Faye said, “No problem.”

Jet shrugged, as he responded, “I had a similar experience when I saw Ganymede, from this point of view. It is perfectly understandable.”

Bob smiled at Jet and Faye. He then pulled out his cellphone, as he asked. “Faye, Jet, I was wondering. Could I take some pictures, make some videos, and audio recordings, of the both of you, and the ship, for the folks back home?”

Both Faye and Jet smiled at Bob, as they answered, in unison, “Sure.”

(_)

At that moment, at a transit space station, in orbit of Earth's Moon, V.T. ship, without trailers, was currently parked at an offloading section of the station.

From inside her cockpit, sitting in the front right seat of the cockput, V.T. turned off her radio, and hooked her microphone back in place.

While V.T. been talking to Bob, Jet, and Faye, she had used the dashboard controls to offload her cargo, and unhooked her space ship from the trailers.

Now, that V.T. was finished, she piloted her ship way from docking area and towards a nearby area to refuel.

A minute later, V.T.'s ship had docked with the refueling station, and started refueling.

As V.T. ship refueled, she thought, with comfort, 'I am happy that Bob is going home. I am sure Faye and Jet will take care of him. But, I wonder what he meant when he said, the flip side of reality. And Bob still didn't get the chance to tell how he knew my name. I have a feeling I will find out eventually... Anyway, I think Bob is right about Little D, and Yuuichi. I will take them up on their offer.'

V.T. turned to the computer screen on her dashboard, in front of her, as she punched in the phone number, on her keyboard, of the person she was trying to reach.

As V.T. made the phone call, she mentally reflected, 'I use the radio because the calls are cheaper, and short range is free. Meanwhile, people are charged to use vid-conversations across the system. But, in this case, it would be worth it to speak face to face, with those I want to talk too. And it would be more professional to do so.'

'At least communications can go through the hyper-lanes as well. Along communications, from one side of the system, to the other side, to be almost instantaneous.'

A minute later, the screen switched to the face of a black haired, fair skinned man, whom said, “Hello.”

V.T. greeted him, “Hello Little D.”

Little D replied, “Hi V.T. So, how are you?”

V.T. responded, “Doing great. Anyway, I would like to take you up on the job that you and Yuuichi offered me.”

Little D smiled, as he stated, “Glad to hear it. I will let Yuuichi know. We need to meet. Where are you at?”

V.T. answered, “I just got finished making my delivery at a station by Earth's Moon. And I am working on getting my ship refueled, and then get a new load.”

Little D responded, “Don't worry about getting a new load, V.T. I will cover the fuel and travel cost for you to come meet us. Right now, we at Ganymede. We will meet each other in two days, at the transit station, by the hyperspace gates near T.J., in orbit of Mars. When we meet, we will give you the details.”

V.T. flatly said, “Works for me.”

Little D stated, “And don't worry about the job. The job we have for you is just delivery. And legal delivery at that. You are going to love this job. You are going to go to places, and see sights, you would have never thought possible.”

Little D's comment caught V.T.'s interest, as she replied, “I hope so, because it sounds interesting.”

Little D smiled, again, as he said, “Glad to hear it. See you there.”

V.T. said, “You too.”

They both cut then cut their transmission at the same time.

As V.T. leaned back in her chair, she said, out loud, to herself, “I have a feeling that I just signed up for something far greater than a bigger paycheck.”

(_)

It took over almost two and a half hours to get passed the debris field of asteroids between the Earth and the Moon. And over another hour to reach the re-entry vector to get where Bob wanted.

In the cockpit of the Bebop, Bob, Faye, and Jet felt the pull of gravity return their feet to the floor of the cockpit.

As they saw the streaks of fire and heat disappear from outside the cockpit windows, signally the end re-entry, they noticed that it was the middle of the day where they were at. With their location being over the western side of the Pacific Ocean, just flying over the Californian coastline.

Jet was currently at the pilot's seat, with Faye and Bob standing nearby.

Bob had kept his gym bag by him, during this entire time. Right now, his gym bag was on the floor, by his feet.

Bob patted his cellphone, which was in his front right pants pocket. He happily thought, 'Who knew that Jet and Faye were such wonderful people? The last few hours have been an anime fan's dream come true. We talked for a while. They gave me a tour of Bebop, with my cellphone in hand. As I recorded everything. They even let me get an up close, and personal looks, at the Hammerhead, Red Tail, and Swordfish Two zipcrafts, in the hanger. They even let me look in the cockpits of their zipcrafts.'

'And with all the pictures, videos, and voice recordings I have done with my cellphone. If I had to prove my adventure, I got the proof right in my pocket. And I am making several copies of all this when I get home.'

'I personally know people that would pay a fortune for these videos... I just found my funds for my adventuring... If Peter Parker can make money selling photos of himself superheroing as Spiderman, I see no reason I cannon sell pictures and videos of my adventures...'

'Though, it will take at least a few months to organize, and figure out how make such sales, without alerting the interest of the government. I don't need to get caught, and be forced to ask very unconformable questions that will likely end up with me being six feet under.'

Bob turned to Faye and Jet, as he said, in a very polite tone of voice, “Faye. Jet. Thanks again for everything. I will treasure these videos and pictures for the rest of my love.”

Faye was standing, as she turned to Bob, Meanwhile, Jet turned around, in his seat, to look at Bob.

Faye smiled, as she responded, “No problem. I enjoy learning that I have fans that enjoy my beauty and wit.”

Jet chuckled. He then replied, “Same here. Anyway, we will in Aspen Colorodo, in ten minutes.”

Bob replied, “Glad to hear it. I am going to miss you two and V.T.”

Jet stated, “I will miss you, too. And this just goes to show that you and Ed have good tastes in people.”

Faye said, “Bob, I have only known you for a few hours. But, I would think I would like you as a friend.”

Bob admitted, “Yes. I would like you as a friend too, Faye. And I will be honest, you are out of my league.”

Both Faye and Jet laughed for a few seconds.

As the two adults calmed down, Faye complimented,, “At least you are honest, Bob.”

Bob turned to Faye, as he said, “Thank you, Faye.” He turned to Jet, as he asked, “Jet, will it be day time in Aspen?”

Jet answered, “It should be. We are just going over the coast in old California. We will be there soon.”

Bob commented, “To bad I cannot see the ground as we pass over from this cockpit. I am not complaining about your ship. It is a great ship. It is very well designed.”

Jet said, “It's okay. One of the flaws of turning this fishing ship into a space ship, is that it has a few blind spots that I have to cover with cameras.”

Bob complimented, “Jet. The very fact that you turned a fishing boat, into a working spaceship, cool on several levels.”

Jet smiled, as he replied, “Thanks. As soon as as the heat tiles on the bottom of the hull of the Bebop have cooled, and I can safely slide those cameras from their protective housing. As soon as I can do that, I will pulled up the video from those camera, and you can see below up.”

Bob said, “I look forward to it.”

Bob looked at his watch, the countdown was not at. “00:45:54”

Bob thought, 'Close. But, not too close.'

Suddenly the Bebop shook a bit, from the looks Bob saw in Faye and Jet's faces, this was not a common occurrence for them.

Bob thought, 'It is best to stay calm.' He calmly inquired, “What is it?”

Jet turned around in his seat, as he looked at this instruments.

A few seconds later, Jet commented, “Turbulence. Even though we are in the troposphere, we shouldn't start hitting any real turbulence for another few thousand feet. We are still too high.”

The Bebop then shook again.

Faye commented, “Tell that to the ship.”

As Jet more closely checked his instruments, as he stated, “The shaking is not caused by wind below.”

Faye pointed out, “If it is not below us, then it has to be above.”

Jet pulled up the outside cameras on the top of the Bebop.

As second later, a screen near the three adults, came on, to show what was above them.

When Jet looked at the screen, he said, “Oh crap.”

Bob and Faye looked at the screen, and they saw that the Serenity was right behind them, by about a hundred feet from the top back part of the Bebop.

Faye commented, “I take it that is the Serenity ship you were talking about earlier?”

Jet stated, “Good guess. They must have shadowed us in re-entry, when our sensors would be blinded by the heat and energy. They had been slipstreaming, right behind us, ever since then. God damn lunatics.”

“Now, they are moving out of our slipstream, causing the air currents to clash against both our ships... The pilot of the other ship must be insane.”

Bob replied, “You are not far off the mark, Jet. One guess who the pilot is.”

Jet continued to work his controls and his instruments, as he asked, in disbelief, “River is still the pilot.”

Bob said, “Yep.”

Jet commented, “At least, with her being the pilot, she will likely not be part of the boarding party. And she is the scariest one in their crew.”

Bob complimented, “That is what I like about you, Jet. You think positive.”

Jet grumbled, “It is the only positive thing I can think of in this situation, right now.”

Faye inquired, “Jet, how tough is River?”

Jet stated focus on his controls, as he answered, “River is very tough. Bob is right about that. She is not only a telepath. She is also not someone you want to fight in combat, Faye.”

Bob commented, “She is almost as dangerous as the Bloodhound.”

Faye joked, “I would then the Black Dog here could handle a Bloodhound.”

No one laughed at Faye's joke.

Jet corrected Faye, as he said, “Not this Bloodhound, Faye. Bob, are you talking about Roberta, the maid?”

Bob questioned, “Yes. I take it you are also a Black Lagoon fan?”

Jet answered, “Of course.”

Bob responded, “Well, in that case, you might want to know that Chang is also now a member of the crew of the Serenity.” Bob turned to Faye, as he answered, her next logical question, “Chang's fighting style is similar to Spike's fighting style. When Chang gets serious, he starts using two pistols as once. Though, he prefers not to use explosives.”

Jet commented, “I didn't see Chang at the jail.”

Bob said, “Actually, during that small war I mentioned. Chang was the head villain of the bad guys, and he turned himself into a her. I mean fully woman, and younger. Like mid-twenties.” Bob turned to Faye, as he stated, “That black haired asian woman at the jail was Chang.”

Faye commented, “Not the first time something like that has happened.”

Bob thought, 'Gren.'

Jet kept as his focus on his controls and instruments, as he inquired, “Hold on. Who was involved in that war?”

Bob said, “I wish I could give you the full details, Jet. But, like I said, I got the cliff notes version of the story, from a secondhand source that was no involved in the fighting. But, from what I was told, pretty much the entire Black Lagoon cast go sucked into this war.”

“Along with them, there were some other major badass players, involved. Such, as Megatron, whom ended up on the good guys side. Don't ask. I don't know the backstory on how that happened.”

“I know that at least one force user from Star Wars was involved. But, that person whom told me all this, refused to tell me who that person was, because the person admired the force used.”

“Also, I know the Serenity crew were involved somehow. But, I don't know how.”

Faye asked, “Do they know who Chang is?”

Bob answered, “From what I can gather. They don't know Chang is Chang. Well, except obviously for her girlfriend, River. I don't know how that happened either. The rest of the crew only know Chang, by her alias, Daiyu. What every that means?”

Faye answered, “It means, black jade, in chinese.”

Bob commented, “Well, that does explain a few things. Still, that is all I can give you. Because, that is all I know, on that matter.”

Jet said, “I believe you. But, just to clarify. Are you saying that the cast of Black Lagoon, likely the most badass collection of criminals ever dreamed of in fiction, along with several other darker badasses, as well, have spread out across the multiverse, away from this own home realities? With reality traveling technology?”

Bob replied, “Yea. I wasn't happy when I heard that, as well.”

Jet further questioned, “And they know they are works of fictions, and that realities like this one, are works of fiction, as well?”

Bob stated, in a sad tone of voice, “The pretty much sums up the situation.”

Jet strongly responded, in disbelief, “Dear god! Gods! Whatever. Have mercy on the multiverse.” Jet turned around in his chair, as he looked at Faye. He said, “Faye. As soon as we are done with Bob, we are going to the nearest church we can find.”

Faye turned to Jet, as she swiftly replied, “We are not getting married, Jet. I like you. But, not that way.”

Jet countered, “No. We are going pray for safety of existence, itself.”

Faye said, “Okay. After all this, I think a few prayers won't hurt. And when we get there, we can say some for Spike, as well.”

Bob mentioned, “Trust me. While in this reality, praying has helped me get this far.”

Jet replied, “Good.” Jet then continued, in a slightly more sober tone of voice, “Though, that is a small comfort, given what we have learned today.” He then turned back in his seat, to face his controls.

Jet stated, “I am going to contact the Serenity. And see if I can get them to not accidentally kill us all.”

Bob and Faye then watched as Jet was about to use the vidphone in the cockpit controls, to contact the Serenity.

Bob said, “Okay. Though, please remember. As tempting as it is to joke and be sarcastic. God knows I had plenty of opportunities myself. Don't let them know that you know about them. Don't mention their names. Nor, the name of their ship. Not even as a hint.”

Jet flatly replied, “I won't.”

Faye asked, “Can River read our minds from here?”

Bob stated, “Doubtful. River seems to rely on line of sight. Or, close proximity. But, to be safe, only use audio. No video.”

Jet complimented, “Good idea.”

Instead, of going for the vidphone, Jet turned on the radio.

Jet ordered, into the radio, “To the ship right above me, state your business, before your stupidity gets us both killed.”

On the other end of the line, Mal said, “This is Captain Reynolds. I believe you have someone that I want.”

Jet flatly replied, “Yes. We have, Bob.”

Mal inquired, “What has he told you?”

Jet lied, “Only that you are after him. He refused to say why.”

Mal replied, “Bob was smart about that. You will land. Then, you will hand Bob over to us. If you comply, you and your crew will not be left harmed.”

Jet flipped a switch, on his control panel, to turn the microphone off.

Jet turned to Bob, as he asked, “I know the Serenity doesn't have weapons. But, I really don't want to take a shot at her with our zipcrafts. Bob, you know the most about this situation. Do you have any ideas on how to get us out of this mess?”

Before Bob could answer, Faye interrupted, “If they had no weapons, I could just take the Red Tail out, and either, scare them off, or shoot them out of the sky.”

Bob countered, “That would be a very bad idea, for a number of reasons. I want to avoid causalities on both sides. For the Serenity side, I am sure they have friends from other realities that might check in on them. And these friends are likely more dangerous than they are. River included.”

“On your side, you got Ed. If anything happens to either of you, Ed would have them for lunch. So, we have a mutually assured destruction situation that neither side realizes.”

“The worst part is, Mal tends to be, if he feels threatened, the shoot first, rarely ask questions later, type of guy. If we tried to inform Mal of this situation, he will just try to immediately attack, and likely get us all killed.”

Faye concede, “I see your point.”

Jet stated, “Bob, you continued to justify Ed's judgment in you.”

Bob responded, “Thank you, Jet. Now, if we land, they will overwhelm us. And even if I escape in time, they will take out their frustrations out on you two. I don't want either of you harmed. This is why I have a plan that gets you both out of harms way, and it gets me home. But, I need a question answered first. Jet, can the Bebop hover in one place, in the sky, for a while?”

Jet turned back to his control panel, as he answered, “Yes. When I first bought this ship, and converted her for space flight, I made sure the Bebop could do that.”

Bob stated, “Good. That means my plan can work. You contact Mal. Tell him you want to hand me over while hovering the sky. The Serenity can do that to. You get him to agree to do this at five thousand feet. When you get to five thousand feet, you make sure the Bebop is over the target zone, Aspen Colorado.”

“You will let me know right before we stop, and I will take my bag, a parachute, and literally step outside, and fall the rest of the way down. The crew of the Serenity will then be left with two choices. Stay, and board you. Or, follow me down.”

“Knowing Mal's one track mindedness, they will follow me down. Giving you the opportunity to escape. So, what do you think?”

Faye commented, “It sounds simple enough.”

Jet said, “Yes. I like it. It is elegant in its simplicity.”

Bob asked, “Thank you. And by the way, where are the parachutes located? I missed that on the tour.”

Jet answered, “In each airlock, I have six prepacked parachutes in a closet. Just in case.”

Bob replied, “I love you preparedness, Jet.”

Jet smiled, as he stated, “Thank you. Now remember. Right cord first. Left cord second. If you forget, you might be killed, or crippled, from bad chute deploy, leading to a bad landing.”

Bob said, “I will remember that.”

Faye stated, “By the parachutes, there are yellow glasses. They are for skydiving. Put them on. When you start falling, they will automatically turn on, like a countdown clock, with the glasses telling you how close to the ground you are, from where you are at. Keep in mind. Pull your cord at least two thousand feet up. A thousand is the bare minimum. But, don't wait that long.”

Bob responded, “Yes ma'am.”

Jet said, “Okay. Now let's get this the offer.” He turned on the microphone, as he stated, “Okay, we will hand Bob over. Can your ship hover?”

Mal answered, “Yes.”

Jet replied, “Good. First, you back off. When we reach exactly five thousand feet, my ship will hover. And you will hover above us, and come pick him up.”

Mal asked, “Why do you want to do this while hovering?”

Jet answered, “Insurance. If you screw us, I will simply cut the engines, with myself, and my crew, along with your boarding party, will all drop out of the sky, and be killed when we hit the ground.”

Bob thought, 'I don't think Jet is bluffing.'

Jet continued, in his commanding authoritative tone of voice, “If you want Bob, this is how you are going to get him. I figure we will be ready for you in ten minutes.”

Mal stated, “Fine.”

Jet cut the transmission. He then checked the upper back cameras of the Bebop to see the Serenity was back off.

Jet turned to Bob, as he said, “It looks like your plan is going to work, Bob.”

Bob replied, “I hope so.”

(_)

Five minutes later, as they came closer to the target location, Jet turned to Bob, as he said, “You need to start preparing, Bob. We will be there in ten minutes. I want you ready to drop the moment we stop in midair.”

Bob asked, “Good thinking, Jet. How will I know when I should go outside?”

Jet stated, “Like when applying the brakes to a vehicle, you will feel a slight push, then pull back on the shocks. Similar feel. That will be the signal that you should go out.”

Bob said, “Thanks”

Bob then picked up his gym bag, and his slung the sling over his right shoulder. He then turned to Jet and Faye, as he said, “Faye. Jet. It looks like this is goodbye. It was fun, and I wish we had more time. Well, good luck to both if you. Know that there is at least one fan of yours in the multiverse that knows for a fact how kind and good you two are.”

Faye giggled, as she playfully responded, “Stop it, Bob. You are going make me blush. Now, get out of here before I ask you to stay.”

Bob just smiled, as he started walking away from them.

With Bob's back turned to them, Jet stated, “See you later, space cowboy.”

Bob stopped in his tracks for a moment, as he just stood there.

Bob began laughing for a few seconds, as the injoke this reality had just played on him, as he continued walking out of the room.

Bob thought, 'Perfect finishing line for you, Jet. Perfect finishing line.'

(_)

A minute later, as Bob passed through the living area, he noticed that the lights in the living quarters were still turn on.

Soon after, he made it through another hallway, as he he found the airlock he wanted. The one that lead to the outside deck. After he opened the inner hatch, he saw the closet inside. He set his gym bag in the airlock

Just as he was about to step in, he felt a hand grip the back of his shirt, and thrown him, back first, to the wall, across from the airlock hatch.

Fortunately, the throw as not the powerful, and the collision with the wall was not the painful. This allowed Bob to land on his feet, while still being fully aware of his surrounding.

When he looked over by the airlock hatch, he saw Daiyu standing there, facing him.

Bob thought, 'Damn it! Chang must have stowed away. And I am nowhere near a match for her. If I try to contact Faye or Jet, it will tip her off that I told them both everything I knew of the situation. Putting them both in danger. I have to handle her alone. And I only got a few minutes to do it in.'

Bob continued his thoughts, with a bit of bitterness, and more concern, 'These time limits are getting crazier by the minute.'

Daiyu was the first to speak, as she flatly stated, “Let's cut the bullshit, Bob. I know you are a reality traveler. And you clearly know who I am.”

Bob admitted, “Yes. You are Chang. Under a different situation, I might ask for your autograph.”

Chang was confused, as she inquired, “What? No sarcasm. No jokes about my fall from power.”

Bob plainly answered, “I see no reason for such insults towards you. It serves no purpose. The one thing I noted about fiction is it is not just the villains, but the heroes that forget when it is wise not to be rude. And at the moment, I am not much of a hero, and you are not much of a villain. We are just two people in two tight situations.”

Chang complimented, “That is a very mature point of view to take. Perhaps I misjudged you.”

Bob smiled, as he commented, “Perhaps. My parents did teach me well.”

Chang asked, “Still, what was with that game with the omake?”

Bob explained, “You harmed my friend. I wanted you to sweat some. But, I wasn't going to let them find out who you were. It would have done neither of us any good.”

Chang conceded, “Well, I did hurt a lot of people. Still, do you think you can actually talk your way out of this?”

Bob smiled, as he replied, “Actually, I think I have a good chance. You Black Lagoon characters were mostly just card carrying villains. It was your day job. Not your religion. And if a fish out of water like Rock can talk to violent psychotics like Revy and Balalaika into not killing him, on multiple occasions, I think I can talk to you, a person that is far more rational and sane. Into perhaps, letting me go.”

Chang responded, “Good point Okay. I'll hear you out.... Wait a minute. Card carrying villain. Fish out of water. You have heard of Tvtropes.”

Bob thought, 'Oh crap. Chang is on a genre savviness level that I did not even realize could exist for me.' Bob asked, “You know about the Tvtropes website?”

Chang replied, “Of course. It is practically my bible. It is the reason I am still alive. One of the reasons I turned myself into a chick was that the female villains tend to live at the end. As long as they don't screw the hero. Nor, develop a fatal attraction with anyone. Besides, except for the monthly problem, being a woman has its perks.”

“Though, different, sex is just as good as a woman, as it was as a man. In some ways better. If I want a kid, as an heir, I don't have to romance a woman. Since, I am the woman, I just have a one night stand with a healthy man, and nine month later, I have a kid. I even made sure that when I changed myself, that I also had my mind changed so I would like being a woman, while still enjoying being a man. If that option every came up again for me.”

Bob commented, “Damn, Chang. You really are dangerously genre savvy. We are talking Jack Sparrow level, savvy, here.”

Chang said, “Thank you. And I really need someone to gloat about some of the things I did.”

Bob replied, “Go ahead.” He thought, 'The longer he talks, the more time I have to think of a plan to get me out of his mess.”

Chang stated, “I am glad you feel that way. And as such, I will tell you how I escaped. I knew when Rock, and Rock's team finally showed up for the final battle that it was time to leave. I realized that if I faced Rock and the others, I would die. So, I had my boomer double keep them busy while I fled to another reality. This reality.”

Chang continued, in a joking tone of voice, “And I would have gotten away with it to, if it weren't for that crazy redhead and her criminal friends.”

Both adults laughed.

As they calmed down, Bob stated, “Scooby Doo. A classic.”

Chang commented, “Yes. It is. Bob, you clearly are genre savvy, as well. So, where you are coming from? What is your source material for your savviness. Mine is Tvtropes, standard selections of fiction, and the Overlord List.”

Bob shrugged, “Besides the usual fiction, and Tvtropes, as well. I found Douglas Adams Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy to be too snarky. And Heinlein's Number of the Beast to be too dry.”

Chang caught the injoke, as she inquired, “Is that book comparison a reference from the Gargoyles series.”

Bob complimented, “Good catch. And yes. Episode fourteen. When Fox is in prison, commenting on her favorite philosophers, and their writings. The creators even got Fox, as a female inmate, to slip in the word, butch, and get away with it. Very slick.”

Chang agreed, “Yes. That was a great series. One of my favorites. Of course Xanatos' quote at the end of that episode, about revenge being a suckers game, made that series. And I have based my life by that belief.”

Bob replied, “That is a good approach to take. I also plan to eventually visit that reality, someday.”

Chang swiftly said, with worry in her tone of voice, “Whoa. Hold it. That would be a very bad idea. I made sure my organization stayed away from that reality, because, while my reality may have one of the largest collection of badasses of any reality. The Gargoyle's reality has one of the largest numbers of genius level intelligent magnificent bastards, magnificent bitches, and guile heroes, in the multiverse.”

“Imagine for a moment the threat to the multiverse, if David and Fox Xanatos, or Thailog got their hands on reality traveling technology. It would make what I did look amateurish in comparison. And god help the multiverse if Demona got her hands on reality traveling technology. She would likely go crazy... Well crazier than she usually is. At seeing humanity exist across the multiverse. At least our branch of the multiverse. And she would likely try to go full on omnicidal maniac, on the entire multiverse.”

Bob thought about what Chang has said for a few seconds. He then quietly said, “That is a very good point. On second thought, I will avoid that reality.”

Chang stated, “I am glad you see my point of view.”

Bob commented, “Yes. This conversation is clearly good for both of us. By the way, They did finally released the second half of second two of Gargoyles on DVD.”

Chang replied, “Really? That took a while.”

Bob said, “The DVD set is bare bones, but at least we can now watch those episodes unedited, in my reality.”

Chang inquired, “That is good. Now, back to Tvtropes. You seem to be a few years in the future to my world. While our realities are the distant past here. But, here doesn't count on my question, because of the gate explosion, and the events afterward diverge so much, from our two realities. Anyway, how has Tvtropes faired in the last few years?”

Bob sadly said, “Not good. A lot of purging of some of the more interesting sections, such as the real life sections, troper tales sections, and fetish fuel sections. Also, nightmare fuel, nightmare fuel unleaded, and high octane nightmare fuel sections were merged, and trimmed down.”

Chang cursed, “Damn it. And those are my to favorite parts. Still, back to the matter at hand. Give me the reality device.”

Bob stated, “We both know I cannot give that to you. Besides, it is stuck on the timer. And Sliders taught us both not to mess with the timer.”

Chang replied, “True. But, I can still jump to where it came from, and then jump again.”

Bob commented, “If you did that. I would be stranded here, with some pissed off badasses, that want my hide.”

Chang offered, “Okay. Let us compromise. We both jump together, and we go our separate ways.”

Bob responded, “That is tempting, Chang. But, if I let you loose on the multiverse right now. Do you know how many enemies I would be making? I mean you pissed off a lot of people. The only reason you are in one piece right now is that you are in hiding. Here is my counter proposal. I returned to my reality. And after I have my owe reality device, where I can control the target locations and times. I come back for you.”

Chang stated, “And you expect me to trust you. If Mal and the others, besides River find out whom I am, they will likely shoot me. Or, if they are felling particularly nasty, they will space me. I have to get out before that happens. But, River is to good at tracking for me to just jump ship, and hide in this system.”

Bob said, “Chang, I realize the situation you are in. But, in the long run, your current situation may help you. Please, understand, I do not many this as insulting to you in any way. But, in Buffy speak. You went from a Big Bad, to crazy woman's bitch, and janitor of a space ship.”

“That is a major downfall in anyone's book. Along with this, you now being a woman, in many people's eyes, might be enough punishment for you. If someone finds you in this situation, they will likely leave you be. While figuring you have already suffered enough.”

Chang stated, “I admit. I can see your point. But, from my point of view, it is too great a risk to take to stay. Still, because you have been so polite, I am going to explain what you are going to do, right now, for me.”

“You are going to hand you device over to me. We both know I can kick your ass, even without a gun. Also, don't think for a moment just because I am a woman will give you an advantage in raw strength.”

“I don't know if whomever informed you of my backstory told you, but those that were changed, or processed, even those that were originally women, are given a super-soldier serum, myself included. I am stronger and faster than you are. And that is not mentioning my martial arts skills.”

Bob said, “You're right. I already knew I cannot beat you in combat. That is the whole point to this chase. But, before this goes any further, I do have one more question. By the way, why did you use the alias, Daiyu?”

Chang answered, “Daiyu means black jade. The name fits me on several levels.”

Bob thought, 'That confirms what Faye said.' He complimented, “Good choice. It fits you in so many ways.”

Chang replied, “Thank you. Now, are you going to give me the reality device? Or, do I kick your ass?”

Bob said, “No. I won't give you the device.”

Chang stated, “Have it your way.” She then rushed up to Bob, grabbed him, and she threw him across the open hallway, and into the living room section of the ship.

Fortunately, Bob landed on the floor, at an angle that did not harm him. Though, the landing did hurt.

Meanwhile, Chang walked up where Bob landed.

After Bob landed, he mentally realized, 'That hurt. But, I don't think I am seriously harmed. Still, I need to protect the others, while I have to do so chance. And as I do so, I need to try to convince Chang not to continue to harm me.'

Bob stood up, and faced Chang, as he warned, “If make to much noise, you will alert Jet, or Faye, to come down here. And if you harm Jet or Faye, Ed will have her revenge on you.”

By then, Chang reached Bob. She grabbed him by the top of his shirt with her right hand. She held him up, a few inches in the air, with her right hand, though, she was no choking Bob.

Bob saw Chang show no effort in holding him up, as he thought, 'Now, I know I am in trouble. If she is this strong, I could be in for some problems in this fight. Besides what I already planned for.'

Chang look up at Bob's face, as Bob looks back down at Chang's face.

Chang commented, “I can match their supergenius friend, with my supergenius girlfriend. Though, I will try to be more quieter. Besides, I am only interested in you. Mal is only interested in you. Also, I like Jet and Faye enough not to harm them. And the girls enjoyed Faye's company in the jail.”

Bob said, “I heard from Faye, that a black haired asian woman was staring at her breasts. I guess that was you. You must have found her breasts to be impressive. Though, be honest. Were you turned on? Or, just envious?”

Chang once again threw Bob across room.

Chang quipped, “You act as if the two cannot be synonymous.”

After Bob landed, he checked himself, to find that he was no harmed. He over at Chang, as began to stand up.

Meanwhile, Chang briskly walked across the room, towards Bob, as she said, in a casual tone of voice, “Between you and me, tropes included, being River's girlfriend has not been all bad. The sex has been great. I have found crazy chicks to be the most creative in bed. I am starting to understand what Rock sees in crazy chicks, like Revy.”

By the time Chang reach Bob, Bob was starting to stand up. Chang quickly picked him up by the top front of his shirt, as she continued, “Still, dealing with a crazy chick all the time can be taxing.”

Bob looked at Chang, in Chang's eyes, as he smirked. He said, in a sarcastic tone of voice, “I know. I am looking at one, right now.”

In response, Chang threw Bob again, across the room.

Bob landed on the floor unharmed, with Chang walked over to him.

Chang stated, “So, you can be sarcastic.”

Bob groaned, as he joked, “Only when it hurts.”

Chang laughed, as she came closer to Bob.

Bob got up, as he asked, “Okay. You you said you like Faye and Jet. Still, what are you plans for them?”

Daiyu answered, “I honestly don't know. I pretty much stayed away from you three on this little trip because I was not really sure I could take Jet and Faye at the same time. Even thought Spike was the martial artist of their group, both Jet and Faye could hold their own.”

“In all honesty, I think Jet is, in someways, a better hand to hand fighter than Spike. And I am not talking about his cybernetic left arm. I am talking about his skills. Spike mostly used quick punches, and kicks, while focusing heavily on evasion. On the other hand, Jet is more direct. And he understand the benefits of more powerful blows, with blocks, and arm-locks mixed in.”

Bob was fully on his feet, as he stated, “That is a high compliment coming from you.”

By the then, Chang had reached Bob, again. She grabbed him by the top from us his shirt, as she responded, “Thank you. And even thought I had the advantage, I am not sure I could beat them in a straight out fight. Especially, in their own home. Which would be in bad taste to do. And I am sure they have several hold out weapons hidden throughout this ship. Not that either of us know where they are.”

Bob sarcastically replied, “I admit. I forget to ask them about that, during the tour of the ship, that they gave me.”

Chang looked Bob's face, as she commented, “A clear oversight on your part.”

Chang then throw Bob across the room, one more time.

Though, this time Bob landed onto the table, and slid off the other side, between the table and the couch. Along with him, several items that had been on the table has slip with him, between the two pieces of furniture.

Even thought it hurt, Bob was lucky to not be seriously harmed.

Everyone on the ship suddenly felt the sensation of the ship pushing forward, the pulling back, signaling that the Bebop had stopped in midair, with some more of the Serenity crew already on their way to the Bebop.

Bob closed his eyes, as he thought, 'I am out of time. I have to finish this now.' Bob then opened his eyes, and he saw something he could use right beside his face. He cracked smiled, for a split second, before he dropping his smile completely, so he would not tip off Chang to what he was about to do.

Bob stated, “Okay. Okay. I give. Just first, let me get up.”

Chang watched as Bob stood up, with something in his right hand.

Chang thought, with glee, 'The reality device. It will be mine.'

Chang began walking towards Bob. But, just as Chang reached Bob, Bob tossed the object across the room, as he said, “Oops.”

Chang grabbed Bob by his throat, with just her right hand.

Chang lifted him up with her right arm, as she growled, “Bad move.”

Chang then walked over, with Bob literally in hand, to a nearby wall, and slammed him against the wall twice.

This attack dazed Bob, as Chang dropped him to the floor.

Chang then grabbed both his wrists, as she began to drag him, while walking backwards, towards the airlock Bob had opened.

While Chang continued dragging Bob, she stated, “One of the rules of Tvtropes is, never turn you back on an opponent. I also learned that rule in all martial arts training, police academy, the triad, and Hunter Thompson novels. When dealing with drugs and drug addicts. It is a very obvious rule. Still killing you, will upset Mal. So, I will leave you where he, and the crew, can find you. You could say, you will be a parting gift to him, River, and his crew, for after I leave them for good.”

When Chang reached the open airlock hatch, he dumped Bob into the airlock, and closed the hatch.

Chang then turned and headed back to the living area of the Bebop.

Meanwhile, Bob snapped open his eyes, while he smirked, as he looked at his gym bag, which was right beside him.

Bob quickly got up, and locked the inner airlock hatch, from his side of the door.

Bob then turned his attention to the closet right beside him.

(_)

Nearby, Chang made her way to the across the Bebop living area, and to where she saw the object Bob threw, land on the floor.

A few seconds later, she found the item and picked it up.

Chang thought, “Finally! I will be free!”

Chang then looked more closely at the object, she saw that it was just a TV remote.

As Chang threw the TV remote across the room, she screamed in her mind, 'No! He tricked me!'

Chang swiftly ran back to the airlock she had left Bob in. As she tried to open the airlock, she found the inner hatch locked from the inside.

Chang looked into the window of the inner hatch, and into the airlock.

Chang saw that Bob had strapped his gym bag across his chest and stomach first. He had then strapped on his parachute. Next, had tucked his necklaced inside the top of his shirt. Finally, he put on some yellow sunglasses.

It was then that Bob looked over and noticed Chang on the other side of the inner hatch.

Bob smirked, as he stated, “See you later Chang. By the way, Rico, sends her regards. Chow, babe.”

Chang barely heard the words, through the thick door, but she heard them.

Chang then watched as Bob opened the outer hatch, and walked onto the outside deck of the ship. Bob then closed the outer hatch behind him.

To Chang's credit, she did not scream, yell, or make threats, as she thought, 'Rico. Of course, the video store, in Aspen Colorado. In Akira's reality. Bob must have been the boy that worked in the store, that Revy stated, had run out the store, before the gunfight started there. Still, this is not the only airlock to the deck. I just have to hurry.'

Chang then turned, and ran down the hallway, as she searched for another airlock that would lead her to the outside deck of the Bebop.

(_)

As Bob walked onto the deck of the Bebop, he noticed that it was windy, and cool, but not freezing cold. And he found that he could breath the air, at this altitude.

Bob thought, 'Chang, and the others are going to be here any second. I need to get off this ship, now!'

Bob did not bother to look around, as he quickly turned towards the nearby edge of the deck, and swiftly walked up to the ledge.

When Bob got to the ledge, he looked down, at the ground far below him. He mentally noted, ' Fortunately, it is still daytime. And I see not clouds below me.' He thoughts turned more concerned, as he continued mentally reflecting, 'Unfortunately, I have suddenly found that I have a slight fear of heights... Still, I got to do this. I have no choice. Just one leap, and gravity takes over from there. On three. One. Two...'

From behind Bob, he suddenly heard a female voice yell, “Bob! Stop where you are, and turned around!”

As Bob heard the female voice, he turned around. He saw Zoe standing on a hover-loader, that had just landed, around fifty feet away, on the other side of the deck, from him.

Beside Zoe, to her right side, was Jayne, at the helm of the Serenity's hover-loader.

Bob also saw that Zoe was pointing her rifle at him. Zoe's weapon looked like a Mare's Leg, custom cut down, Winchester Model eighteen ninety-two rifle.

Zoe had the stock of her rifle in her right hand, with the fore-end of the weapon, in her left hand, and the butt of the weapon pressed against the front of her right shoulder, for accuracy.

A second later, Bob saw Chang coming out of an airlock, across the deck from him, near Zoe, Jayne, and their hover-loader.

Bob thought, 'What better incentive to do something. Like jumping off a perfectly good spaceship. Then, have a loaded weapon pointed at you. I would thank, Zoe But, I think she would shoot me, if I did. Chances are, she is aiming at my heart. When I fall, I need to lean to my right, and I should be fine. Due to the heart being in the left middle part of the chest, of a person.'

Zoe plainly asked, “Bob. Who are you really?”

While still standing on the very edge of the deck, Bob yelled, with pride in his tone of voice, “I am a red blooded, American man!” Bob then fell back, and to his right, as he began his free fall.

Zoe took a single short, but Bob was correct in his assumption, and instead of hitting his heart, the bullet simply tore a small hole in the left upper arm of his shirt, as it slightly grazed his left upper arm.

A few seconds later, Daiyu jumped onto the hover-loader.

Daiyu looked at Zoe and Jayne, as she stated, “If we hurry. We can still catch up to him on the ground.”

Zoe lowered her weapon, as she turned to Daiyu. She said, “Good thinking.” She turned to Jayne, as she requested, “Jayne. Get us back to the ship.”

Jayne said, “On it.” He then piloted the hover-loader off the deck of the Bebop, and towards the back of the Serenity.

(_)

Meanwhile, below both ship, as Bob fell, he loved every minute of it. His adrenalin levels were so high that he did not even felt the bullet graze him. Instead, Bob was enjoying the adrenalin rush of skydiving.

The heads up display, on his yellow sunglasses, automatically came on, and told his falling altitude, in english style, numerical figures. Also, they broke the wind from his eyes, allowing him to see without a problem.

As Bob looked at the attitude display on his sunglasses, he thought with excitement, 'How could I have been scared of this. This is an amazing rush.'

Bob then continued to enjoy his adrenalin rush for another couple of minutes.

He then noticed that he was about to hit the two thousand feet limit, his glasses told him to pull the cord.

Bob thought, 'Time to pop the chute. The right cord should be the one I want.'

Bob pulled the right cord, and the chute deployed perfectly.

As chute made Bob slow down to where he was now slowly floating down to the ground, Bob yelled, “Yes!” He thought, 'Now, to control my decent, and find a decent place to land.'

As he floated down, he saw how destroyed the city beneath him was. He thought, 'Whoa. This place was really hit hard with small asteroids. But, at least it isn't one large crater. And with luck, I will soon be home, safe and sound.'

'Now, let's see if I can get myself down safely, but at a decent speed. I don't want to reality jump in mid-air. Chances are it would not take my chute with me.'

Bob used his hands to pull on the control cords of the parachute, to control where he was going to land, and to speed his decent a little bit. But, Bob was careful with the control cords, to make sure he did not pulled too much on the cord, and make his landing dangerous to himself.

(_)

Three minutes after Zoe, Jayne, and Daiyu left the deck of the Bebop, on their hover-loader they were piloting finally entered the open cargo hold of the Serenity.

Mal was standing in the cargo hold, across the room from the open door, as he watched at his hover-loader fly into the bay.

He noticed that Zoe, Jayne and Daiyu were on board, but no Bob.

As they landed, Mal used some nearby control to close the cargo ramp.

A few seconds later, after Male watched the ramp had fully close, he walked over to his crew, whom were just getting off the hover-loader.

Mal came to a stop, near the other three adults, as he asked, “What happened?”

The three adults turned to look at their captain.

Zoe answered, “Sir. It was a trick. By the time we landed on the deck, Bob was about to go skydiving. I was unable to stop him, from jumping, sir.”

Mal replied, “Don't worry about it, Zoe.”

Zoe inquired, “Sir, do you want to go after him? Or, retaliate against the crew of that ship?”

Mal stated, “Forget about that ship. We want Bob.”

Mal turned to Daiyu, as he complimented her, “Daiyu, Zoe told me what your plan was. It looks like you guessed right. Even thought you failed to get Bob. You showed real initiative in trying to accomplish this mission. I like that in my crew. I want you to have Simon look you over.”

Daiyu thought, 'I just blew my chance at getting out of here. Though at least, Mal is happy with me. Still, it is best I don't try to worm my way into their group to go after Bob. I will just have to hope another opportunity will arise. Until then, I will try my best to keep my identity a secret. It is likely that River will have sex with me to try to cheer me up. And it is not a bad idea to have Simon check me over real quick.'

Daiyu smiled at Mal, as she responded, “Thank you, Captain. I will check with Simon, right away. But, what about Bob?”

Mal answered, “In a few seconds, I am going to have contact River, to take the Serenity down to the ground. Once there, Zoe, Jayne and I will head after Bob.”

Daiyu said, “Okay. And good luck.”

Mal replied, “Thank you.”

Daiyu then turned around, and walked out of the room, toward the common area, where Simon most likely was located at.

As Mal watched Daiyu leave the room, he walked over to the intercom, and punched the button for the cockpit.

He said into it, “River, Bob has gone skydiving. Take us down to the ruins of Aspen. But, do it gently. Given he has a parachute, even if he waits to deploy at the minimum safe altitude, it will still take him a few minutes to land.”

River responded, through the intercom, from the cockpit, “Roger, captain.”

Mal then turned to Zoe, and Jayne, as all three of them began to get ready to go after Bob.

Mal thought, 'Once I have Bob, and get my questions answered, I can turn my attention to getting my coat from the police.'

A few seconds later, the Serenity suddenly flew in a gentle incline, towards the ruins of Aspen, and after Bob.

(_)

Meanwhile, aboard the Bebop, Jet and Faye watched the Serenity fly away. And they took the opportunity to fly the Bebop away, and escape the Serenity and her crew.

(_)

At that moment, Bob was still floating to the ground.

It took a few more minutes for Bob to finally land on the asteroid pot marker road, in the ruins of Aspen Colorado. Bob was careful to land in a roll.

As he stood up, he pulled out his knife, from his right boot, and he was careful to unfold its blade.

Bob then used the blade to quickly cut straps to the parachute, causing it to fall to the ground. He folded his knife back up, and returned it to where it had been, in his right boot.

Next, he took his gym bag off of himself, and unzipped it, and put his yellow glasses inside. He then zipped it back up, and slung the strap of his bag over his right shoulder.

Bob then felt a sting on his upper left arm, as he thought, 'I best check out this injury that Zoe gave me.'

He looked at his bullet wound on his upper left arm, where his shirt was torn.

The injured was nothing to worry about.

Bob thought, 'Boy, and I happy that it is just a mild graze. It strings, and it bled a little bit, but otherwise I should be fine. It is not even worth bandaging, considering it has already stopped bleeding. Still, it might leave a tiny scar. Though, I will need to clean it later.'

Bob then looked at his watch. The countdown stated, '00:13:34'

Bob thought, 'Oh, the irony. Now, I have too much time. Still, where am I exactly?'

He then looked around, as he mentally realized, 'I know where I am at. And if I run for it, I will make it to where the Gateway to Fantasy store should be, with a few minutes to spare.'

Bob gripped his gym bag with his right hand gripping his gym bag, steady its strap on his right shoulder, as he began jogged down the street.

Still, as Bob jogged down the street, he was mindful to avoid the holes and debris around him.

(_)

Several minutes later, he found himself in the parking lot of where Rico's store was suppose to be. He saw that there was a building in that parking lot, where The Gateway to Fantasy store was in his reality.

Bob looked at his watch, and the countdown stated. “00:02:53”

Bob mentally wondered, “Less than three minutes left. Now, where is the best place to teleport into another reality? Just in case this device does not have a fail-safe. To prevent the user from teleporting into a solid object. I think I need to figure out a safe place to be when the time hits zero. Still, I think it does have such a safety figure. But, it does not hurt to be cautious.'

'I think standing in the middle of the parking lot, where the cars come move back and forth slowly, is my best bet. I know the sidewalk has people that walk on it, from sunrise to midnight. I am not standing in the road. Nor, where the cars part. And I am not going to take a chance, and stand by the wall of the store which may have a slightly different size than Rico's store. So, that leaves the middle of the parking lot, where the lanes are.'

Bob then walked into the area of the parking lot, where the lanes were. With him deciding this was were he wanted to jump realities from.

Bob thought, 'I just have to wait for the timer to run out.'

Bob stood, as the wind blew, howling across the desolated city.

Bob thought, 'You know. This is ruin city is kind of creepy. But, I only have to tolerated for a few more minutes. And I am out in the open, so I can see in all directions. So, no one is going to sneak up on me.'

Just then, Bob heard the a sound coming from the sky, he looked up at and saw the Serenity's hover-loader coming towards him.

Bob mentally whined, 'Damn! I forgot that also means people can see me. And they found me, again. I guess I am just going to have to stall them, and wait out the clock.'

Bob saw that Jayne, Zoe, and Mal were on the hover-loader.

Within less than half a minute, Bob watched as Jayne had landed the hover-loader about twenty feet from him.

Then, Mal, Zoe, and Jayne got off the loaded, and pointed their firearms at Bob.

Bob mentally smirked as he noticed that Mal did not have his brown long coat on. Bob thought, 'I guess I was right about that long coat belonging to Mal. Anyway, I do not see Simon, Kaylee, River, Inara, nor Chang here. River must on the ship, as the pilot. She likely read Chang's mind, and she is keeping Chang from being there with her.'

'Also, Inara, Kaylee, and Simon are not usually combatants. Since I am unarmed. It is not surprising that Mal would expect that Zoe, Jayne, and himself, could handle me. And Mal would be correct.'

Jayne said, “Hi Bob. Sorry, we have to keep meeting like this.”

Bob deadpanned, “It's a living.”

Jayne chuckled for a few seconds, from Bob's comment. Jayne then said, “Good one, Bob.”

Bob replied, “Thank you.”

Mal stated, “Bob. You are coming with us.”

Bob asked, “Before we get to that. I have to ask. What about the crew of that ship that helped me? Also, what about V.T.”

Mal inquired, “What about them?”

Bob warned, “Mal, I sure as hell hope, for your sake, that you did not harm that man and woman on that ship. Nor, V.T.”

Mal smirked, “What happened to, Captain Reynolds?”

Bob commented, “At the time, you were not pointing a gun at me. And if you had harmed Jet, or Faye, Radical Edward will have you and your crew for breakfast. And even River will not be able to save you, before Edward finishes you off. And that is not counting V.T. friends.”

Jayne spoke up, “Relax, Bob. We let them go, with their ship, unharmed. We are only interested in you.”

Bob replied, “Good.”

Zoe suggested, “Sir, let's just question him here.”

Mal turned to Zoe, as he agreed, “Good idea.” He then turned to Bob, as he asked, “Bob. How do you know about us?”

Bob inquired, with mild surprise in his tone of voice, “You guys still haven't figured it out? We both know you guys are not from this place, either.”

Mal and Jayne were still trying figure out what he meant, when Zoe realized that truth.

Zoe kept her weapon aimed at Bob, as she stated, “Sir, he is a reality traveler, like us.”

Bob commented, “Correct. And for the record. Even though the series was short, I loved your series. And while the movie was good. I hated what they did to you guys and everyone else. And for your logical next question. I came here by accident, and I just want go home. I also realized that if you learned about me, it might destroy the chance of me returning home.”

Mal asked, “So this place?”

Bob answered, “In another reality, this place is my hometown. And it is a nice place to live.”

Mal commented, “You still lied to me.”

Bob defended himself, as he said, “I did not lie to you, Mal. I did not even know you were in this reality, until I met you at that bar. It wasn't even my idea to get a ride with you guys. It was Reggie's idea. And I was out of options.”

Jayne spoke up, while keeping his weapon on Bob, “He has a point there, captain.”

Zoe realized, as she stated, “You're stalling. Whatever you are using to has a timer. That is why you were so much in a hurry to get here.”

Bob responded, “Yep. Besides, why are you so obsessed with stopping me from going home? The Firefly series and Serenity movie exists there. And the Firefly series and Serenity movie, probably exists here, for anyone to look up.”

“And even if your series and movie doesn't exist here. If you let me go, we will likely never see each other again. And your cover will not be blown.”

“Also, if your series and movie exist here. From what I understand, you have behaved yourselves here. ISSP has no jurisdiction for the crimes you committed in the verse. You are all currently free now. Unless you screw it up. And I hope you are more intelligent than that.”

Bob could see what he said cause the three adults, whom were pointing their weapons at him, to start to think.

Just then, Bob's watch beeped, and they all realized he would escape any second.

Bob looked at Mal, as he smirked. He commented, “By the way, Mal. Because you have given me so much trouble, for no good reason, I am taking your brown coat with me. See you.”

A split second later, Bob disappeared.

This news infuriated Mal, as he fired his pistol where Bob had been, but he only hit empty air.

(_)

In the blink of an eye, Bob noticed that it was suddenly nighttime, outside.

Bob looked around and saw that he was back in his home down of Aspen, Colorado, at night. That he was in the exact place in the parking lot that he had been at in the parallel reality. With Rico's store, the Gateway to Fantasy, being right beside him. And the street lights showed that the buildings and streets were clean and in one piece.

Bob thought, with relief, 'Okay. I am back where I belong. Though, the question still is, when am I? Though, even if I am not in the right time. I am sure I can get back with little problem. I will just contact Rico in this time period, to use her reality device to take me to my right time and place. Because, her store is here. She is here.'

Bob quickly pulled out his cellphone from his right front pants pocket.

Bob turned his cellphone on, from sleep mode, as he looked at the screen.

It took a few seconds for his cellphone to connect back up with the local wireless network, and resynchronize its clock to that system.

As the cellphone did so, the cellphone showed the same date that he left, with the time being. “9:05 PM”

Bob jumped up and down, while he did a little dance, as he happily thought, 'YES! I have only been gone five minutes. Now, to check in with Rico. And not tell her what happened. And then I will go home, shave, get a shower, and then get some well deserved rest.'

Bob headed back inside Rico's store, from the front entrance.

Less then a minute later, Bob was back inside the store. He looked around, as he realized that the store was exactly as he had left it.

Bob thought, 'Nothing has changed since I left. So, no chance of this being a slightly different parallel reality to my own reality. This is my reality. I am finally home. Still, that was one hell of an exciting adventure.'

'Though, I best put away the reality device, before I accidentally repeat the experience. I want adventure, but on my own terms. But, at least I had fun this time around. So, I know I can handle the multiverse, and all I need now is a device of my own to travel with.'

Bob walked over to the sales counter and set his gym bag on it.

He slip over the counter, to the other side, without a problem.

When Bob reached the other side of the counter, with his feet on the floor, he unzipped his gym bag and dug into it. A few seconds later he pulled the reality device, with his right hand.

He then opened the draw he had the money in, as he used his left to test to see if the drawer was going collapse as the first drawer.

The drawer didn't. Bob carefully set the reality device on top of the money. He then gently closed the drawer.

As the draw fully closed, Bob let out a deep breath in relief. Bob thought, 'Rico will find it there. Now, to check in with her.'

Bob then walked to the back of the room, where to his boss' office door were.

When Bob reached the door, he noticed that the door was partly open.

Bob lightly knocked on the door.

Given the time of night, and since Bob was the only one Rico knew with the manners to knock first on a partly open door, from inside her office, Rico stated, “It's open, Bob.”

Bob pushed the door open the door, wide enough to take a step inside. He saw Rico sitting behind her deck looking at him.

Also, there was a fair skinned woman, with long black hair, in a white blouse, and dark pants, sitting in right chair, of the two chairs in front of Rico's desk.

Bob noticed the black haired woman had turned her head to face him.

Bob thought, 'That woman looks familiar, I just cannot place her. Oh well, it doesn't matter.'

Bob stated, “Cash is counted, and put away.”

Rico replied, “Good. Now, where were you?”

Bob thought, 'Damn. I forgot to come up with a lie for that question. Still, I think I know an excuse that might work.' Bob lied, “I had to step outside for a few minutes. I am heading out now. The keys and money are where we usually put them.”

Rico replied, “Fine. See you Monday.”

Bob turned around, and stepped out of the room, as he gently pulled the door back to where it had been. He then walked away from the office, and back to front part of the counter, on the customer side, where he left his gym bag at.

When he reached his gym bag, he looked in it. He soon found what he was looking for. Mal's brown long coat.

As Bob took the brown coat out, and held it in his hands, he thought, 'I know people in this reality that would kill for this coat. Now, let's see if this fits.' Bob put on the coat, and he found that it fit, as he mentally add, 'Yes! It fits. Now, the rest of my gear.'

Bob reached into his bag and pulled out the shades Reggie had bought him on Mars. As he put them over his eyes, he thought, 'I got to wear my sunglasses at night, because it it cool. Still, I will take them off when I drive. Now, my necklace.'

With his right hand, Bob reached into the front top of his shirt and pulled out his necklace. For a few seconds, he held the vial of red soil in his right hand, as he mentally reflected, 'In a way. I will never leave Mars, as long as I have this vial of Martian soil. Now, let's go home.'

Bob let the vial and string drop to where it hung in the middle of his chest.

He then grabbed his bag, zipped it up, and put its sling over his right shoulder.

Just as he was about start walking towards the front door, towards his car, he heard a door shut, from across the room.

He turned saw that a redhead woman had just exited the women's restroom, from across the room.

They both looked at each other for a few seconds, in silence.

Though, she was not armed, Bob easily recognized her from her physical figure, and her usual blue denim short-shorts, and crop top that she was wearing. He thought, 'That is Revy. What is she doing her? Wait, that woman in Rico's office with her... Was that Rock?... Yea, Rico mentioned he had been changed into a woman also.'

'Well, I am leaving, and I have no wish to stay and talk to either of them. Still, given everything that has happened, I cannot just walk away. I need to leave an impression. So, what they hell.'

(_)

Across the room, Revy looked at the man with the shades, brown long coat, with the gym bag slung on his right shoulder.

Revy thought, 'What wondered what was going on?'

Suddenly, the man did a wolf whistle, and laughed, as he turned, and walked out the front entrance of the store.

Revy thought, 'Whomever he is, he is not worth a fight, right now. Beside, Rico will tell me who he is, soon enough.'

Revy then walked towards Rico's office. When she reached the office door, she opened it, as she stated, while interrupting Rico and Rock, “Hey, Rico. Who is the new guy?”

Rico and Rock stopped talking, as they turned to look at Revy. Rico inquired, “What new guy?”

Revy answered, “The black haired man in the lobby. It is too late for any costumers, and it didn't look like he was trying to steal anything.”

Rico stated, “That was Bob. You both met him before, a while back.” She continued, in a sarcastic tone of voice, “The day you kidnapped me.”

Revy commented, “That was him? He has certainly... Matured since then. Anyway, where did laughing boy get that brown long coat from?”

Rico responded, “Bob doesn't have a long coat of any type, that I know of.”

Revy countered, “He does now. Along with a gym bag, a nice set of shades, and a strange necklace. In all honesty, he dressed like some sort of badass cowboy. Though, he is missing a hat, and a firearm.”

Revy's comment caused Rico to begin to worry. Rico turned to Rock, as she requested, “Rock, what was Bob wearing, just now? I wasn't really paying attention when he was speaking to us.”

Rock, whom always had an eye for the details, answered, “He was wearing a long sleeved brown shirt, brown pants, brown belt, and black boots.”

Rico said, “When he got in this afternoon, he was wearing his employee turtle neck shirt, with the store logo, black pants, and black tennis shoes.”

Rock mentioned, “Also, he looked like he hadn't shaved his face in a couple of days. And he smelled like it too.”

Rico commented, “Bob was clean shaven, and didn't smell this afternoon.”

Revy stated, “Bob wasn't in the store when we got here. And we teleported behind the store, and walked around, to the front, to enter. We didn't see him once, outside. Nor, inside.”

Rock said, “He must have lied about being outside.”

Rico remembered, as she blurted out, “Oh crap. I left my reality device, in a drawer, behind the lobby counter.”

Revy questioned, “You don't think, he?...”

Rock replied, “Maybe. If he was smart, he would come back here, as soon as possible. A few minutes would usually do it. Our experiences would make us better at spotting the odd details.”

Revy asked, “Should I go get him? I might still be able to stop him before he leaves?”

Rico turned to Revy, as she stated, “That is doubtful, Revy. Bob is likely already in his car, and gone by now. I will check the store security cameras. And I will talk to him, Monday. I will get the full story out of him, then.”

Rock inquired, “How much does he know?”

Rico turned to Rock, as she said, “Enough to lie to us. So, he would not get mixed up in this craziness.”

Revy complimented, “Smart boy.”

Rico smiled, as she said, “That is why I rehired him, when I reopened my store. The boy has proven himself capable, in a few ways. Anyway, have a seat, Revy, and let us continued our discussion, of catching up with what has happened to everyone, since the fall of Roanapur.”

Revy sat down in the chair to Rock left side. Revy then turned to face Rico, as she said, “As I was saying, before I had to get up and take a leak. No one has seen Boris, in a while. Sis... Balalaika says he quit Hotel Moscow, a while back. I didn't know he had it in him. Anyway, I am sure he will turn up somewhere.”

The three adults them continued their conversation for another hour, as they caught up with each other.

(_)

Cowboy Bebop Reality. Ruins of Aspen. Daytime. Ten seconds after Bob escaped the Serenity crew.

Zoe and Jayne looked at Mal, while both of them were feeling worry, and a little dread.

While Mal was a good captain, and fair to his crew. Mal was also many other things. Including being a sore loser. The look on his face promised murder for Bob.

Zoe thought, 'After that entire chase, Bob got away by slipping through our fingers. And he even gloated about stealing Mal's brown coat. Mal has killed to protect that coat before. And that fool stole it out from under us. Now, we have to deal with the aftermath.'

Zoe looked at Jayne, with a questioning glance.

Jayne turned to Zoe, and he saw her expression. He shook his head, with a look in his eyes that stated, 'You talk to him. I'm not going too.'

Zoe turned back to look at Mal, as she cautiously said, “Sir?”

Mal did not look at Zoe, nor Jayne, as he growled, “What?”

Zoe replied, “Sir. We lost. But, I have a feeling you will see your coat again in the future. Bob will likely take care of it. Fans tend to take care of their mementos.”

Mal strongly responded, “He had better. Or, the next time we meet, he will die screaming.” He then let out a deep breath, as he continued, in a slightly more calmer tone of voice, “But, you are right. There is nothing more we can do here. Let's go.”

Zoe and Jayne wisely chose to remain silent, as all three adults walked the hover-loader, and onto it.

A few seconds later, Jayne piloted them away, and back to where River had landed the Serenity.

None of them noticed a young, skinny person, with a backpack on, of what looked like a cobbled together machine, hiding in the nearby shadows of a partly destroyed building. With the person waiting for them to leave.

(_)

Akira's Reality. Aspen Colorado, ten minutes after Bob had returned to his home reality.

After Bob drove into his family's driveway, at their home, and came to a stop, he put his car in park, and turned off the engine.

Bob got out of his car, grabbed his gym bag, which was in the front passenger’s seat. Next, he slung the sling his gym bag over his right shoulder. After which, Bob locked and shut the car door behind him. As he walked up to he concrete path, connecting the driveway, to the small front pouch of his family him, he pulled his key.

When Bob reached the front door, he unlocked the front door, opened it, and entered his home. He then gently shut the door, and locked it behind him.

Fortunately, Bob's family was in the living room, of their home, watching TV. And they were use to him coming home between nine and nine thirty PM, after work, and they didn't bat an eye, as Bob headed upstairs to his bedroom.

Though, Bob did not take any chances, as he quietly headed up the front stair case, to the second floor, and into his bedroom. So, he would not risk attracting their attention.

When he got to his bedroom, he set his gym bag at the foot of his bed, on the floor.

Bob took off his new, old brown long coat, and put it on his chair, by his desk, as he thought, 'What an adventure. And except for a scratch, I made it through in one piece. What now?'

Bob then sniffed himself, as he rubbed the facial stubble on his face with his right hand. He realized in though, ' Before I do anything else, I need to shave and shower,.'

Bob took off his necklace, shades, cellphone, and digital wrist watch, with him put the items on his nightstand, that was near his bed.

He thought, 'It is best to take off my shades and necklace here. When I am finished getting cleaned up, I can come back here, and have some fun. Though, I do need to back up all my recordings I made, with my cellphone of that other reality, onto my new laptop, from another reality, in an alternate future.'

Bob continued his thoughts, with amusement, 'It is so cool to think of my new laptop that way. And it is so true.'

'Now, to get cleaned up.'

Bob then exited his bedroom, he walked through the hallway, and he when into the upstairs bathroom. He locked the door behind him.

Bob walked up to the bathroom sink, turned on the hot water, as he grabbed some a can of shaving cream, that was set by his personal razor.

The vanity sink was set in front of a mirror on the wall.

As Bob waited for the hot water pipes to get warm, he started looking more closely at himself, in the mirror. He noticed how much his facial hair had started to grown out.

Bob thought, 'You know. I kinda of look like.... Hahaha. So, that is who Reggie is. This is so damn cool. It is like Back to the Future. Only I find out I am a badass a few decades in the future.'

'Instead of being a loser, like Marty McFly would have turned out being. If his girlfriend, Jennifer, had not stopped him from doing that drag race, in the middle of the day. And thus Jennifer prevented Marty from having that accident with that white Rolls-Royce. And she changed both their futures for the better.'

'Still, I cannot wait to become Reggie. And with luck, I will. But, for now. I need to shave. And I will enjoy the journey, as I become Reggie.'

Bob then shaved, took off his clothes, and cleaned himself in the shower.

As he got out of the shower, and dried himself, he looked at the mild bullet graze on his left shoulder.

Bob thought, 'Like I thought. I don't need to patch it. Though, it will leave a small scar. Still, that means nothing to me.'

Bob put on his personal bathroom, which he kept in his family bathroom, and he unlocked the bathroom door, and exited the room, as he headed back to his bedroom.

After he walked back into his bedroom, he shut his bedroom door behind him. He then locked the door.

Bob then quickly got removed his bathroom, and he dressed in a t-shirt, underwear, and shorts.

He then went to his gym bag, which he sat at the foot of bed, on his hardwood floor, and picked up the bag. He moved over on his bed, as sat down in the middle of his bed. With him setting his bag beside him, on the bed, to his left said.

Bob then opened his gym bag.

Bob dug out his box that had his laptop computer, and computer peripherals with it.

As he pulled out the box, he set it on the bed, to his right side.

Bob turned to his desk, and looked his old tower computer, monitor, and peripherals on the deck. He thought, 'Sorry, buddy. But, I think I just replaced you. Though, tomorrow, I will get to transferring all the data on you to my new laptop. Along, with my anime and music collection of Cowboy Bebop, and a few other things. Which I will have to rip to my new computer. Still, I may have to dig that out of the basement. But, I organized so I could get to anything I put up, easily enough.'

'And it is a good thing that I also have scans of the Cowboy Bebop Manga as well, on my desk top computer. I will transfer those files, my other computer files, and backup files, as well.'

'I might as well take care of everything, while I still have time to do so.'

Bob then zipped up his gym bag, and set it back on the floor, at the foot of his bed.

Bob then moved back onto his bed, as he carefully used his knife to open his box, with his new laptop. After he was finished with his knife, he folded it on itself, and placed it by his necklace and shades, on a nightstand, near his bed.

Bob looked at the guide that was in the box. The guide was in both english and chinese. Though, the guide stated the computer was defaulted to english. And it stated how to change the language setting for the laptop. In case of accidents. Even if the person did not know one language, or the other.

And it shows how to connect the wireless mouse to the one of the cords on the power adapter, so it could recharge. Also, the guide showed how to make the mouse cord extend, so the mouse can be used while it is recharging, and retraced, into the power adapter, when the cord was not needed.

Bob made a mental note, 'I think I will keep this guide with my laptop. Just in case.'

Also, the guide listed what the password was, and how to properly set the power adapter. Though, the guide stated that the power adapter would automatically set. And it would prevent damage to itself, nor the electronics to it. But, if manual setting was necessary, the guide showed how to do so. And the guide stated that there were fail-safes to prevent damage to the power adapter, and the electronics, even through use of manual adjustment.

Bob decided to read the entire english portion of the laptop guide, before he moved on.

When Bob was finished reading the guide. He looked further into the box.

Bob found that the other items in the box were a wireless mouse, the power cord, the power adapter, and finally the laptop itself.

Within ten minutes, Bob had everything plugged in, the power adapter and laptop turned on. With the laptop booted up, and he logged into pre-made account in the operating system.

Bob saw that the computer was set to english.

Bob thought, 'At least, I don't have to worry about changing the language settings. That is good.'

Bob found the laptop was fairly quiet, and the button of the laptop was not warm on the touch.

Still, for safety sake of the laptop itself, he was careful to set it in the middle of his bed, so the laptop could not accidentally drop on the floor.

Bob then used his wireless mouse, which he sat on the flat part of his laptop, by the build in keyboard. He used the mouse to check the graphical user interface of his large, colorful, monitor on his laptop.

Though, Bob was careful not to mess with the internal settings of operating system, nor files pertaining to the operating system.

Bob thought, 'I need to be careful. It is not like I can all tech support on this, anytime soon. Also, this may have an anti-damage resistant materials. But, I am not going to test that claim.'

A minute later, Bob found that the laptop GUI was like a standard GUI from his reality. The computer was in English, as was the keyboard in the laptop.

Bob found that his family's wireless internet hub worked with his laptop's internal wireless card, and he could use the laptop's internet browser to log onto the internet and surf the web for websites.

Also, he check to make sure that his laptop's anti-virus and firewall programs were working fine.

While Bob used his laptop, he thought, 'With the anti-virus and firewall programs checking out fine. I can now have some fun. What to do first? I know. Let's to see what goodies this computer came with. From what the sales girl, Judy, told me. The deluxe entertainment package has quite the fiction library.'

Bob looked at the file folders on the solid state drive, until he found a file labeled, 'Deluxe Package'.

Bob opened the file, and he found a program labeled, 'Guide', and other sub-folders. Among the folders, one was label anime, one was labeled manga, one was labeled music, etcetera.

Bob thought, 'This guide program must be the guide to the entire library on this. Let's see what this guide can offer.'

Bob started the guide program, and an interact screen popped up on his monitor. Like the rest of his laptop, it was in english.

As he paged through the guide to the genre section, he asked himself in thought, 'Now, what do I want to watch, or look at, first? How about some anime and manga? Now, what genre. Mech. Nah. Alien. Not really. Thought, that reminds me, I am going to have to talk to Mom and Dad about our family tree, in a few days.'

'Sci-fi. I just literally got back from a sci-fi reality.'

'I want something to laugh at. How about comedies from the gender bending genre?'

'I have run into plenty of gender benders, already, in my real life. Rico, Chang, I think Rock, also. It would not hurt to learn more about such people.'

'Now, let's pull up some series that I have never heard of before, in that genre. I will watch few episodes of each. And I will read a couple of manga chapters, of various series I have not heard of, as well.'

'Also, to save time, it is best not to overlap. If a series has an anime and manga. I will just watch one, or the other, tonight, and look at the other later. Also, I wonder...'

Bob quickly checked, and his suspicions were confirmed, as he thought, 'Yep. I also got the Black Lagoon anime, manga, and music on this thing. Including, the three Black Lagoon anime seasons, in both the american english version, and japanese version, with a english subtitles option. And the nine Black Lagoon manga volumes. There is are even different language versions. Including, english text, and japanese text.

And everything points to this applying to other anime, manga, and other foreign media selections. Nice.'

Bob then noticed something, as he continued his thoughts, 'This guide even has a ratings system, with notations on what each series, and what each episode, and chapter, is about.'

'Oh. This is so nice.'

'Now, to have some fun.'

As Bob checked out some anime videos on his computer, he soon found that the monitor provided wonderful video quality, with the on board speakers offered wonderfully crisp, and sharp sound quality.

Though, Bob set the volume slightly lower than normal, so not bother the rest of his family, as they headed for their beds, in bedrooms by his own.

Bob also set the anime to english dubbed audio tracks, with no dialogue subtitles. Only subtitles for the japanese intro and ending songs.

Bob then spent the next two hours, laughing his ass off. Though, he was quiet, as he did so. With his laughs being more like quiet chuckles, so as to not alert the rest of his family, whom were resting.

Bob started off his entertain binge, by watching the first few of episodes of a anime in the gender bending genre, that was highly rated and listed as a martial arts, action comedy. The series was titled, Ranma Half. And Bob watches the american english dubbed version.

While Bob lightly chuckled at the scenes from the first episode of Ranma have, he thought, 'I cannot think of a worst first impression than what Ranma and Akane had. And mental note. When traveling. Avoid magical springs like they are the plague...'

'Wait a minute, Ranma Saotome... I have heard that name before.'

Bob stopped the video he was watching, as he went online with his laptop, and he did a quick web search on the name, Ranma Saotome. What he found surprised him.

As Bob looked at the websites he pulled up on his screen, he read the title of a news article that had a been selected on his web search.

As Bob read the line, he thought, 'Ken Masters and the mysterious Ryo, versus Ranma Saotome and Ryoga Hibiki... I knew I heard that name from somewhere, before... Wait a minute. The music collection in Rico's store. I wonder...'

Bob then another web search on a hunch, which paid off. As he looked at the pictures and articles on his laptop, he mentally reflected, “Ranko, the member of the former rock band, Koco. Yep. That is a picture of Ranma, in his girl form. And, I believe that with her is, Akane, Nabiki, Kasumi, and a purple haired girl...'

'That means the Ranma Half series exists here, as reality. No wonder I have not heard of it before. Still, that also means that the cursed Jusenkyo springs exists here, in this China.'

'Mental note. Avoid the mysterious parts of China in this reality. Also, I might want to avoid Tokyo, as well. This merely confirms my earlier suspicions that weird things happen in Tokyo.'

'Also, I wonder if this reality uses the anime, or manga version? I will find out, later.'

'And this means that I am going to have to both, watch the entire Ranma anime, and read the entire Ranma manga, later...'

Bob used his wireless mouse pulled up two sub-folders on his laptop screen. One folder contained the Ranma anime. The other folder contained the Ranma manga.

Bob continued his thoughts, 'And from the look of the size of both Ranma series. It is going to take me a while to go over both versions of that series. But, from the first episode, it looks like it will be an entertaining series in both formats. Now, lets watch the second episode of Ranma, and then move onto something else.'

After Bob finished watching the second episode of Ranma Half, he thought, 'No wonder Akane doesn't like boys. With a school life like that, I can understand why. Still, it is clear that she never met a man in her school life. Personally, I would have just left her alone. Anyway, I can learn more about her, and the rest of the Ranma Half cast, later.'

Bob used his mouse to start searching the guide program, which he left open. He thought, 'Now, how about something from the magical girl genre, mixed with gender bending.'

Bob then found a series that fit what he was looking for, which had a good rating on it.

Bob thought, 'That will do, nicely.'

Bob then watched a few of episodes of the Kampfer anime. He laughed quietly, as he thought, 'Talking stuffed animals, with magical girls. And one of the magical girls being originally a guy, whom can now turned into a girl, to be a magical girl. With these magical girls stuck in a death match with each other. Also, some of the magical girls have elemental magical attacks. While other magical girls either have bladed weapons, or they use guns. Whomever made this series was taking some wonderful stuff while creating it.'

'I think I will later watched the rest of this anime, and then read the english translation of the manga, and light novels. Which I believe is a complete translation. Now, for some manga.'

Bob then looked at the manga selection on the guide program.

Bob picked one of the fairly long gender bending manga, that was considered a highly rated. With the series being considered a lighthearted gender bending comedy. He the started reading the first few chapter that manga titled, Gacha Gacha Secret manga. Which he found had a complete english translation.

While Bob read first few chapters of the Gacha Gacha Secret manga, he was impressed with the story's mix of good characters and fan service. He also found the artwork to be decent.

Bob continued reading the first few manga chapters, of Gacha Gacha Secret, as he thought, 'I will give, Hatsu... Hatsushi... Hat... I will give Akira credit. Unlike others. Like Ranma. Akira did not seek a cure for his gender bending ability.'

'Instead, he, or at the time, she, used her new ability to get to know the girl she is interested in. This series seems to drop the angst that is common with gender bending genre. And instead, this series focuses on the comedy.'

'Still, what time is it? I know I have been a little crazy about the time, lately. With getting back to Earth, and my home reality. But now, at least I know I can take my time. Though, I do need to get some sleep, soon.

Bob looked at the clock in his bedroom. He saw that the clock stated it was eleven thirty PM.

Bob mentally reflected, “Oh well. It looks like it is bed time. I better turn in. I can watch the rest of these series, tomorrow, and the day after. I do not have work till Monday. I have the rest of the weekend off to watch as much as I want of all of this. And boy is this going to be fun.'

Bob then set this laptop to sleep mode and set it on top of his gym bag. He then got up, got ready for bed.

A few minutes later, Bob returned to his bed, turned off the light in his bedroom, and went to sleep.

(_)

The Cowboy Bebop Reality. Mar, Tharsis City, early evening at a nice bar.

It has been around two days since Mal and the crew of the Serenity has lost Bob on Earth. They were currently at a nice bar they frequented, when they visited Mars.

There was soft jazz music playing in the speakers in the room.

As Mal sat at a large, round table, with his crew, enjoying some drinks.

The only one of his crew, whom were not there, were River and Daiyu. River was on board the ship, enjoying some quiet time, away from everyone. While, Daiyu was drinking a bottle of beer alone, at another table, which was across the room from them.

While Mal took a sip of whiskey, from his glass, he thought, 'We are now back in the bar where we met Bob in the first place. And when I catch him, and get my coat back, I am going to strangle him.'

Mal then looked over at a nearby table, where Reggie, Franny, and B, were sitting at.

Mal continued his thoughts, 'The only reason we are here, is for Jayne to meet with Reggie, and his crew. I gave Jayne permission for the night off. And after Jayne is finished here, with us, he is going to join Reggie, B and Franny, with them having a night on the town. And it is nice that my crew are making friends with the locals.'

Mal then looked at his glass, and he saw that it was now empty. He looked over at the whiskey bottle, he had shared with his friends, sitting in the middle of the table. He saw that the bottle was empty.

Mal sat his glass down, as he thought, 'Time to get another bottle.'

Mal stood up from his chair, and he headed over the bartender behind the bar counter.

When Mal reached the counter, he looked over at the bartender. He said, “Another bottle of whiskey.”

The bartender then pulled out a bottle of whiskey, from behind the counter, and walked over to Mal. He set the bottle of whiskey on the counter in front of Mal.

Just as Mal was about to pick up the whiskey bottle, and head backt to his table, he noticed that Reggie had gotten up from the table he was sitting at, with his friends. And Reggie walked over to the counter near him.

Mal overheard Reggie order, “I will take two bottles of beer, a shot glass, and a bottle of vodka.”

The bartender then got a small circular tray from behind his counter. He then place two bottles of beer, a shot glass and bottle of vodka, onto the tray.

As Reggie leaned over counter, to pick up the tray, Mal saw that his necklace fell out from inside the front of his shirt.

Mal's eyes widened, as he saw the necklace was a vial of red soil.

Mal thought, 'That is just like the necklace that Bob had around his neck. Now, that is exactly like Bob's necklace.'

Mal just stared at Reggie for a few seconds.

Mal then said to himself, “No way. It couldn't be? Could it?”

Mal walked over to Reggie, whom was still at the counter, with the tray full of drinks in his hands. Mal came to a stop, as he turned to Reggie. Mal asked, “Reggie? Or, should I say Bob?”

Reggie set the tray back down on the counter. He the turned to Mal, as he smirked. He said, “It took you long enough to figure out.”

Mal warned, “The only reason you are not dead is because you have gotten us some good jobs, and have been nice. Now, I want my coat back.”

Bob cautioned, “Mal, for the sake of our friendship, don't try anything with me. I have faced worse than River.”

Mal inquired, “Friendship?

Bob stated, “We all have our secrets. You didn't tell me you were from another reality, and I did the same. Anyway, here is your coat.”

Bob pulled out a couple of things from the coat, and put the items into his pants pockets. He then took off the long coat, and handed it to Mal.

As Mal took back his coat, he saw that Bob was wearing a light brown, long sleeved, button up shirt.

Mal looked at it. Mal thought, 'I have to admit. He kept it in good shape.' He then smelled his coat. He turned to Bob, as he asked, “What is with the smell?”

Bob deadpanned, “I had it professionally cleaned, a few times.”

Mal said, “Thanks.” He then put back on his long coat.

Bob requested, “Let me get Ed, her bottle of beer. And B, her vodka. B has finally decided to start hitting the hard stuff. Instead of having some more beer, with us. Still, after I take these items to them, I will come to your table, where we will all talk.”

Mal inquired, “Sure. Though, why did you three come back here? I thought you would know better than to see me again.”

Bob answered, “To be honest, Mal. You are not that scary. And the whole reason we three came back to this reality was that Ed was getting homesick. Not that I blame her. I can sympathize with her on that.”

Mal replied, “Okay. I will talk to you in a minute. Let me get my drink.”

Mal then went back to the counter, where his left his bottle of whiskey. He picked up the bottle, and returned to his seat, at the table he was sharing with his crew.

Meanwhile, Bob picked up his tray of drinks, and walked over to Ed and B.

As he approached the two women, he could tell from their facial expressions, that they had seen what happened.

Bob then leaned down, and set down the tray of drinks onto their table.

As B took her shot glass and bottle of vodka off the tray. She opened the vodka, and poured herself a drink in her glass. Next, she set her bottle down, onto the table. Next, she picked up her glass, and took a sip.

While B set her glass back down, she then stated, “So, he finally figured it out.”

Bob replied, “Yep.”

Ed took one of the unopened bottles of beer, on the tray, and set it by her, on their table. She commented, “It was bound to happen.”

Bob leaned back up, as he agreed, “True. I need to talk to him for a few minutes. I should be back in a little while.”

Ed said, “That is fine.”

B responded, “Take your time. I have been meaning to speak with someone else here, as well.”

Bob nodded, as he turned and walked back to where Mal, and the other members of the crew of the Serenity were sitting at the table.

(_)

At the table, with the crew of the Serenity, the crew had seen the exchange between the two, but with the jazz music in the background, they could not overhear what the two men has said to each other.

Mal walked back, with a full bottle of whiskey, in his right hand. As he sat down in his chair, he sat the whiskey onto their table.

Zoe inquired, “Thank you for the whiskey, sir. Though, what is going on? And why are you now wearing Reggie's coat?”

Mal looked over at his crew. He smiled, as he coyly said, “All will become clear in a minute.”

Less than a minute later, they watched as Reggie walked up to them.

As Reggie came to a stop near the table with the Serenity crew, he calmly looked down at them, as the crew looked up at him.

Reggie said, “You can tell them now, Mal.

Mal commented, “Reggie, here, is actually, a much older, Bob.”

Several members of the crew inquired, in unison, “What?!”

Inara commented, “But, as Mal pointed out. You are so much older.”

Kaylee said, “And the beard.”

Bob stated, “Yes. The beard helps. And the reason I am older, is a combination of time travel, and traveling across realities. When it comes to such things, meeting my younger self is by far not the weirdest event that has happened to me. With enough time, you can see some really strange stuff.”

Jayne said, “Say it ain't so, Reggie.”

Bob starting rolling up his long left sleeve, all the way to his shoulder, as he stated, “Don't worry about it, Jayne. I am still your friend. And I love it when we go our drinking together. You still want to head out tonight?”

Jayne smiled, as he said, “Sure. I have nothing better plan.”

Bob returned Jayne's smile, as he happily replied, “Good.”

Bob looked over at Zoe, as he used his right index figure to point to a small scar on his left upper arm. He as he continued to smile, he said, “You almost got me with that one, Zoe.”

Zoe deadpanned, “I will try better next time.”

Bob laughed, for a few seconds, as he rolled down his long left sleeve, to his left wrist.

Inara asked, “How long as it been for you, since you left our ship?”

As Bob calmed down, he answered, “Around two decades. While traveling through times, places, and realities, people tend to lose track of time. Myself included. But, you should know, that when you met me, that was my very first outing in the multiverse. How did you think I did?”

Simon commented, “I would give you a B.”

Inara said, “I agree.”

Kaylee commented, “From what I heard. Definitely a B.”

Zoe replied, “No comment.”

Mal said, “Not going there.”

Jayne commented, “I am sorry. But, I am also going to have give you a high B. You made a few mistakes. And there were some things you needed to work on.”

Bob responded, “That is okay. I understand that. And I will take a B. A, B, is passing in most places.”

Mal stated, “Still, there is the matter of you meeting yourself, and you then conned us into taking your past self to Earth.”

Bob defended, as he said, “Mal, it is called a time stable loop. And I didn't con you. I paid you quite well for that trip.”

Mal just shrugged.

Kaylee inquired, “And what about those two you are with? Who are they?”

Bob looked over at Kaylee, as he answered, “That is for them to answer. I will say nothing on B's past. I will let her tell you about herself, in her own time. But, my girlfriend is Radical Edward. If you look her up in this reality, you will see she is top computer hacker in the system. And she is likely smarter, and maybe a little crazier, than River. But, she is a lot nicer than River.”

Jayne commented, “Now, that is scary.”

Bob quipped, “You should see her in bed.”

Both Bob and Jayne laughed, for a few seconds, from Bob's comment.

Inara said, “You really know how to pick them, Bob.”

As Bob and Jayne calmed down, Bob turned to Inara. Bob responded, “Actually, she found me. So, would you like to know what happened next? After I left you guys, back on Earth, and returned to my home reality.”

Inara smiled, in a demurely manner, as she said, “Sure.”

Bob then began his story.

(_)

At a nearby table, Daiyu sat alone. She was quietly drinking a bottle of beer, with only her thoughts to keep her company.

Daiyu mentally reflected, 'I lost. And there is not much I can do about it now. I am stuck here, with the crew of the Serenity, for the foreseeable future.'

Suddenly, Daiyu noticed B walked up to her table. B was holding a glass and a bottle of Vodka in her hands.

Daiyu looked up at B, as she said, “Hi B.” She thought, 'I wonder what she wants.'

B requested, with a slight russian accent, “Hello Daiyu. I see your alone, Daiyu. Care if I sit down. You looked like you need a friend to talk too.”

Daiyu thought, 'Why not.' She replied, “Sure.”

B sat down, and set her glass and bottle, at the side of the table, across from Daiyu. She then sat in the chair, across the table from Daiyu.

Daiyu watched B get conformable in her chair.

As Daiyu saw that B was comfortable in her chair, Daiyu commented, in a halfhearted manner, “Just to let you know. I already got a girlfriend, and she is the clingy type.”

B looked over at Daiyu, as she stated, in a casual tone of voice, “Redheads tend to be that way. Even those that dye their hair red.”

Daiyu inquired, “So, true. And I guess you know about River?”

B coyly replied, “More so, than you would suspect.”

This was the closest Daiyu has ever been to B. She looked at the brown haired, fair skinned woman, with a very critical eyes.

Daiyu thought, 'There is something about her, that is familiar. But, what?'

Daiyu said, “I guess, that redhead, that you and Reggie are with, is quite a handful, as well.”

B replied, “I have run with Ed long enough, that I found that though Ed is crazy, she is also a very nice woman.”

Daiyu realized who B was talking about, as she thought, with surprised, 'Ed?! Radical Edward?'

Daiyu looked over at the other table, where Reggie's redheaded, skinny girlfriend was sitting. The woman looked back at her and smiled.

Daiyu then turned back to face B, as she asked, “That is Radical Edward? She looks way to old to be Ed.”

B lightly giggled, as she replied, “And how would you know that?”

Daiyu immediately realized, in thought, 'I think I just got caught.'

B mischievously smiled, as she said, “Anyway, she has been out of town for a while. Speaking of which. When it comes to redheads. I always wondered. Between you and me. What is your opinion on redheaded women in general.”

Daiyu honestly, “They are all crazy, and dangerous. Though, great in bed.”

B responded, “I will take your word on that. But, for the most part, I agree. With Ed being the exception to the rule. Even Two-hands can be a bitch at times. But, don't tell her I said that. You would be shocked at what that woman would do, on just sheer principle.”

Daiyu remained calm on the outside, as she mentally screamed, 'Two-hands?! Revy?! How does B know about Revy? Let alone Revy's nickname, Two-hands.'

'Hold on a moment.... She looked to be around my current physical age... The omakes. The Boys and Girls omake... No. Not that omake. The Viva Youth omake... Oh... My... God... She has no facial scar. That is what threw me. And the only difference in looks between the young teenage version, is B is more feminine. She is also has a more athletic frame, with breasts, and she is few years older in looks. But, in a more sexy way. Which makes sense, since she is now a woman, whom looks to be in her mid-twenties. Of course, she has been through the vat process.'

'Now, to confirm her identity.'

Daiyu asked a one word question, “Boris?”

B, AKA gender bent Boris, started laughing, for several seconds.

B then poured herself a shot of Vodka in her glass.

B said, “It is, B, now.” B then held up her glass, as she toasted toward Daiyu, “And here is to your continued good health, Chang.”

B then drunk the shot of Vodka, to a slightly surprised, but happy Daiyu.

Daiyu thought, with relief and joy, 'Well, this is a turned of events. Boris... I mean B, is now a woman. And she now seems to have gotten over what I pulled on at my Tower. Also, she clearly intends to keep my secret. Meaning, I can trust her. And I am no longer alone in this reality. When it comes to someone to talk to, in confidence, that is not my girlfriend.'

'As such, I might as well returned you toast, B.'

Daiyu held up her beer bottle, as she smiled. She toasted, “To your continued good health, Boris. And I hope there are no hard feelings about what I did to Balalaika.”

Daiyu then took a swallow of her beer.

B set down her glass, onto the table, as she responded, “For me, that is over two decades in the past. Besides, the boys and I left you our parting gift, as we left.”

Daiyu set her beer bottle, onto the table, as she commented, “Yes. I fully understand why you did that.”

B inquired, “Good. Now, how did you end up being with River, of all people?”

Daiyu answered, “You could say she literally she snuck up on me from behind.”

B leaned forward, in her chair, towards Daiyu, as she said, “This I got to hear.”

Daiyu then told B what happened after she had escaped her tower.

When Daiyu was finished her tale, B told her some of what happened to herself, as well.

And during their conversation, they had many laughs, as they enjoyed the next few hours of each others company, as friends.

(_)

Three days later, on board the Serenity, Mal was wearing his returned brown coat. Though, he was starting to feel a little sick, with mild aches, throughout his body.

Mal went about his daily responsibilities, on board his ship, as he thought, 'I hope I am not catching a cold.'

(_)

Akira's reality. Aspen Colorado. In Bob's family home, in Bob's bedroom. On the night Bob returned to his reality. A few hours after Bob went to sleep.

While Bob slept under a bed sheet, in his bed, he was peaceful unaware of the person in his bedroom with him.

That was, until Bob felt something brush his sheet covered feet, which caused him to snap awake.

Bob immediately turned on his nightstand lamp light, to see the seventeen year old, Radical Edward, of the Cowboy Bebop, sitting crosslegged at the foot of his bed, as she faced him.

Ed was wearing a white t-shirt, blue shorts, and white tennis shoes, without socks,

Though, what Bob noticed most about Ed, was that she was smiling at him.

Bob quickly sat up in his bed, as he took a closer look at her.

Bob noticed that Ed was a foot taller, her body was a little more mature.

Bob mentally guess, 'I think she has b cup breasts. Which is average for most women. And on her skinny frame, they fit her well. Still, what am I going to say to her?'

All Bob found that he could say was, “Hello Ed.”

Ed said, in clear english, “Hi Bob.

Bob thought, 'I need to know how you got here.' He asked, “How did you get here?”

Ed looked over at the window by Bob's bed. She then looked back at Bob, as she replied, “The window.”

Bob looked at the window to his bedroom. He saw that it open. He turned back to Ed, as he commented, “I thought that window was locked.”

Ed giggled, as she said, “It was. But, don't worry. Ed did not break it to get in.”

Bob thought, 'She's good. To pick a window lock, slowly opened it, right beside me, and come into my room, without waking me, until she was inside, is a real trick. Still, that is not what I was asking. ' He inquired, “Yea. Ah. Thanks. I meant. How did you get to this reality?”

Ed responded, “Oh. Ed got vidphone call from, sis-sis. Along with e-mail, with calculations and blueprints. Sis-sis promise great as adventure with Bob. And Ed so far impressed with Bob. Yet, Ed, only have time to create one way device. But, Ed knows how to build better device to travel realities with.”

Bob replied, “Really?”

Ed answered, “Yea. Ed memorized calculations and blueprints. Understand them. Just take time and materials to build. Materials that exist here, that are not expensive.”

Bob said, “Cool.”

Bob thought, 'Well, I now have my means for traveling. Still, who is this, Sis-sis, of Ed's? Where did I hear that from... Franny at the bar on Mars. Of course. Francoise Appledelhi. AKA Radical Edward. And she is Reggie, no my future girlfriend... Oh.... Hahaha... Hehehe...'

Bob took a closer looked at Ed, as he asked, “Ed, I mean no offense. But, I need to know. How old are you?”

Ed replied, “No offense take. Ed is around seventeen and a half years old.”

Bob cracked a smiled, while he thought, 'She is right in my age group. And when it comes to crazy redheads, Ed is not violent. This could work out well for both of us.'

Ed notice his smile, as she stated, “Ed thinks Bob is planning to have lots of fun.”

Bob's smile grew a little, as he admitted, “Yes. Lots of fun, Ed.”

Ed returned Bob's smile, as she said, “Ed is a little young for that fun.”

Bob playfully replied, “So is Bob. But, Bob thinking of other fun. Fun that can make use of Ed's great brain.”

Ed giggled at Bob use of Ed's own syntax.

Ed said, “Ed, think this start of great friendship.”

Bob stated, “So do I. I have a sleeping bag in my closet. You can take the bed tonight. And tomorrow, I will rent you a room at a decent hotel. Sound fine?”

Ed answered, “Yes. Ed like Bob more by the second.”

Bob replied, “I appreciate that.”

Bob first quietly, and carefully, closed, and locked his window. Then, Bob got out of his bed, while Ed laid out on his bed.

Bob smiled, as he headed for his closest to retrieve his sleeping bag. He thought, 'I am glad I didn't pack up my sleeping bag, and other traveling gear. Because I might end up having to use those items. And it looks like I am going to get my wish for an exciting life. The only question now is. Who is, B?'

Bob soon had his sleeping bag rolled out, on his wooden floor. As Ed got conformable in Bob's bed, Bob turned out his lamp light. He then got into his sleeping bag.

Soon both Ed and Bob were peacefully asleep.

To Be Continued.

(_)

Author's Notes:

I hope you enjoyed reading this first chapter of Book Three.

First, Bob is not an author avatar. Actually, far from it.

Bob is an adventure seeking, adrenalin junkie, that would dive right into the multiverse at the first chance he got.

That is why Ed likes him so much. Ed was looking for someone that was seeking to have as much fun as her, but not in that way, and she found Bob.

Also, Bob has a very masculine personality, but not in a rude way. He is very polite. But, masculine.

Bob is nearly my polar opposite.

And except for one genetic quark, Bob is an original character.

The reason for this original character is that I needed someone like Bob for this part of my anthology. And I could not find such a person in fiction that I was using. So, I invented Bob.

And Bob fit his role perfectly.

Now, about Ed.

I always found Ed interesting in that there was a lot of potential for her as a character to be developed, but her age prevented much of that potential from shining.

So, I wondered. What would Ed be like as she grow up to be an older teenager, and eventually an adult. As such, that is how part of this story came about.

I was originally planning to having this Comet Run story being a separate book, in of itself. With Book Three following it. Because, this chapter is mostly centered around Bob, only showing the other two make characters, of Book Three, in a few scenes.

Then, I decided to just make this the first chapter of Book Three, and go with it.

And I plan for the rest of Book Three to be an adventure story, as well. Unlike the previous two books of my anthology of insane. Book Three is all about having fun.

So, I hope you enjoy this ride.

Until next time. Have fun.

up
37 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

enjoyed the chapter, but in

enjoyed the chapter, but in the beginning you stated that americans don't drive on the right side of the road.
we do drive on the right side it is England that drives on the left side of the road.