Land of My Heart - Chapter 28

Printer-friendly version
Aussie cattle station.jpg
Land of My Heart

A novel by Bronwen Welsh

The sequel to 'A Foreign Country'


Chapter Twenty-eight   Our wedding

I'm writing this while sitting on the sundeck of the ship that is taking us on a cruise. My husband James (what a wonderful thing to be able to write 'my husband') is taking part in a table tennis tournament on the games deck. What stamina he has! It's made me blush to write that. I on the other hand felt like a quiet afternoon to restore my energy. More blushes, but I'm writing about all the energy I expended in organising our wedding of course!

I had no idea where we were going for our honeymoon. All James would tell me was that I had to fly us to Brisbane, and it wasn't until we took a taxi to Portside Wharf that he revealed what we were doing – taking a fourteen day cruise to New Zealand on the 'Pacific Princess'. It's a place I've always wanted to visit.

But I'm jumping ahead of myself as usual. First I'm going to record everything about our wedding while it is still fresh in my mind.

The arranging of a wedding puts me in mind of the amount of organisation involved in the D-Day landings. I used to smile when, while walking through fashion boutiques I saw young women, obviously brides to be, carrying a ring binder crammed full of papers, but now I am much more sympathetic. James was a real treasure. Far from leaving me to do almost all the organising, he took an active role which was a wonderful help, but I still had a lot to do as any bride will tell you.

One of the more difficult things about organising a wedding is who to invite and who not to invite. My only relatives in Australia are my cousin Marie's son Michael who, together with his wife Sarah, their son Jason and daughter Maureen live in Sydney. Naturally I invited them and they decided that they would drive up to Hey, towing their caravan and make a holiday of it. I phoned and invited my cousin Marie and her husband Michael in England of course, not expecting they could make it, but I was thrilled when they decided to come, even though it was at relatively short notice. For them of course it was also an opportunity to catch up with Michael and his family whom they haven't seen since they were last in England a couple of years ago. Thank goodness the 'tyranny of distance' is no longer what it was thanks to air travel.

While James was an only child, he has three uncles and an aunt scattered around the country. The uncles in West Australia and Melbourne felt it too far to come, but Uncle Henry in Newcastle and Aunty Kate in Rockhampton accepted our invitation, as did two of James's cousins, Phoebe in Rockhampton who would accompany her mother, and Maurie in Sydney, Henry's son. We booked them some rooms in the local hotel. One more task to cross off the list.

James has a few more friends in Charlevlle he wanted to invite and I of course have made many friends over the years I've lived near Hey, so the number of guests very quickly rose to nearly fifty. We also asked James's new assistant Anne Prior. This would be a good opportunity for her to meet some of the locals.

Three days before our wedding our special guests started to arrive. I didn't have time to fly down to Brisbane to bring back Angela, Brad and Danielle, plus Melissa and John, but fortunately one of my neighbours Steve Renshaw kindly offered to do it for me. I've known Steve for many years and even worked with him teaching flying, especially to local women. Steve said he had to go to Brisbane anyway, but I'm not sure if that's strictly true and think he was just being very kind. Steve and his wife were guests of course. We have plenty of room in the homestead, having seven bedrooms, so it was quite easy for the wedding party and their relatives to stay with us.

Two evenings before the wedding, James and I held a special dinner at the homestead for the wedding party and their families. We had a wonderful time, and I had arranged a surprise for Tom which I kept a secret until the meal was finished. We have some very large rooms in the homestead and I led the guests into one of them which had been turned into a temporary cinema, with the old 16mm projector set up one end of the room, a big screen at the other, and enough seats for all the guests. The moment he saw it Tom twigged what it was all about, but I introduced the film with a little speech for the other guests.

“Some of you will have seen the famous film from the nineteen fifties called “The Back of Beyond” about the mailman Tom Kruse who travelled the Birdsville Track, delivering and picking up mail and goods to the remote cattle stations. The last time I visited our Tom here I was reminded that years ago I shot a short 16mm film of the mail run that he used to do. None of us have seen it in quite a while, so with the help of James who provided the muscle to get that monster projector up on its stand, we are going to watch again “Tom of the Inland Mail”. Everyone cheered and then watched entranced as the lights were lowered and a much younger Tom and his faithful truck 'Sheila' appeared on the screen. It was silent of course, and I confess I used the original 'Back of Beyond” as a template for my production but no-one seemed to mind that. There was even one shot of a young Lesley opening a gate for the truck, something which I was later to realise would trigger a memory in Tom's mind The audience loved the film and there was huge applause at the end, and a demand that we run it again.

Tom gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. “Thank you so much for going to all that trouble,” he said. “It was great to see myself so young and fit there on the screen.”

“I'm going to get it put on video and give you a copy,” I replied.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's a convention that brides and grooms don't spend their wedding eve night together, and as far as the bride is concerned there is a good reason for this. Well, probably a few good reasons, but one is that she wants her wedding dress to be a surprise for the groom, and this probably won't happen if he's in the same house. James was going to stay in the local motel, but Ellen and Tom offered him the use of their spare room for a night. Angela's family were going to move there after the wedding, but for the wedding day it was more practical for them to be at the homestead as Danielle was part of the wedding party and needed to be there for the preparations.

Hey now has a beauty parlour and I had booked Elise and Melody the co-owners to come out to the homestead on the morning of the wedding to professionally attend to our hair and make-up. Even Danielle was going to be allowed a little makeup and lipstick as a special treat. She is a very feminine little girl and was so excited to be joining the 'grown ups' as we all got ready.

The wedding bouquets had been delivered to the beauty parlour for the girls to bring out with them, and the florist had agreed to call at the church to make sure that the button holes for the men were securely attached in position. Was there anything I'd forgotten? I don't think so!

Jack's wife Mary came over, and we all settled into the master bedroom with the ensuite. Meanwhile Brad and Mark were shown around the other station buildings by Jack, since the men only need a fraction of the time that we women needed to get ready. Having them out of the house meant we could also use the bathroom as well and run around the house in a state of undress as needed. Speaking of 'undress', it did concern me a little that Melissa might just possibly be revealed as 'different' to the other women present, but I needn't have worried. After taking her shower, she appeared in her underwear including a very pretty full slip before putting on her dress, and there was absolutely nothing about her to suggest that she was anything other than a genetic young woman.

The highlight of getting ready was when we finally donned our gowns. I know that sounds a bit old-fashioned, but how much nicer it sounds than 'putting on a dress'. Wearing something really special feels so wonderful, and from my special bridal lingerie to my ivory silk wedding gown, and now taking my wedding bouquet in my hands I felt every inch a bride. Every woman should get the chance to experience that moment.

Melissa looked at me and almost whispered "Lesley, you look wonderful."

As I looked at myself in the full-length mirror I replied "Thank you my dear. You look fabulous yourself and so does Mary. I think we make a rather splendid wedding party."

Mary said "I haven't felt so special in ages, not since I was my sister's bridesmaid, and that's a while ago."

Later, when we were alone for a moment, Melissa said "I hope you will be my Matron on Honour." and I responded "It will indeed be an honour and a great pleasure."

Five hours of hair-dressing and make-up had passed by the time the men knocked on the door of the homestead, having got ready in Jack's house. They had to cool their heels for another fifteen minutes before we finally let them in. However their reaction to how we girls looked showed was most satisfying.

Jack is no bush poet. He said "Geez girls....." and left it at that but those two words spoke volumes.

Martin was a little more loquacious "You all look amazing. Lesley, James is going to be stunned."

"So all that time wasn't wasted?" I smiled.

"Absolutely not!"

I had hired the local photographer Terry, and his friend Vince who would shoot video, so now of course came the first photo and video session. I know it may sound like I was going over the top but this was to be my one and only wedding and I wanted it to be properly recorded. Other couples have told me that everything goes so fast on a wedding day that it's only when they see the photos and video that they remember everything that happened. While they started work, Elise and Melody checked over Jack and Martin to make sure they were perfectly presented. I don't know what they did, but when the men joined us ten minutes later for more group shots and their individual portraits, they looked that little bit extra sharp and presentable, like a car after a cut and polish if that doesn't sound like an odd way of putting it.

After concluding the shooting Terry and Vince took off to be down at Hey before we arrived.

In keeping with the 'country wedding' theme, I had hired a twelve-seat mini-bus, there being ten of us to transport to town. Elise and Melody were guests too and would be on hand for any last minute touching up of our makeup. The bus arrived on time and I was pleased to see that the owner-driver Neil had taken great care to present it in sparking condition. Nevertheless some sheets were spread over the seats to be occupied by the bridal party – 'just in case'.

Part of the plan was that Ellen was dropping James off at the church and he promised to stay in the vestry when he heard the bus arrive with Martin and Jack. The recently arrived new vicar, a very nice young man called Harry would be giving them their last minute instructions. Then we drove to Tom and Ellen's house to pick them up and take them back to the church. The whole arrangement went like clockwork and we arrived at the church exactly five minutes past the hour in keeping with tradition.

We lined up in the church porch in order and as the strains of Wagner's famous Bridal chorus started to ring out, Danielle with enormous self-confidence started slowly down the aisle scattering rose petals. She was followed by Melissa, then Mary and finally myself on the arm of Tom. We took it slowly. I was smiling and Tom was beaming with pride. I will never forget that moment, especially when James, Martin and Jack turned to watch us coming up the aisle. The look on James's face made all the hard work of organising the day worthwhile.

When we arrived before the altar, Harry the vicar stepped forward and started those age-old words we all know so well.

“Dearly beloved, we are gathered here in the sight of God, and in the presence of these witnesses, to join together this man and this woman in holy matrimony....”

When he came to the part where he said “Who gives this woman to be married to this man?', Tom who was standing beside me replied “I do.” The he surprised me with a courtly gesture, raising my hand to his lips. I leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek, whispering “Thank you old friend.” Tom then took his place in the pew and the ceremony continued in the traditional manner. Perhaps the only break from that tradition was after we made our vows, had exchanged rings and James was told that he might now kiss the bride, we kissed with more enthusiasm than usual and a ripple of amusement swept through the church.

After we had signed the documents and register, we started down the aisle to the strains of Mendelssohn's Wedding March, smiling broadly and exchanging kisses with family and friends. Then came the photographs – every combination of the wedding party that Terry the photographer could think of, and especially of James and me of course, while his friend Vince continued to record everything on video.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once all the photographs were finished, we walked over to the church hall where all the guests were now seated and awaiting our arrival. I had booked the local branch of the Country Womens Association to do the catering for our reception. They are all excellent cooks of course besides their many other attributes. In fact they have an unofficial motto “It's not just tea and scones”. Three of them had drawn lots to cook the three tiers of our wedding cake, and one of the ladies is a wonderful cake decorator. They supply almost every wedding cake in the district, and having seen their work I was in no doubt that they should make ours which was now on its own special stand and looking magnificent.

After the wedding party was introduced by the M.C. Steve, we took our places at the top table and the reception began. It followed the usual course, and this of course included the speeches. In our case where both of us had been married before and lost our partners, in James's case in tragic circumstances, then the speakers need to be careful in what they said.

Steve announced the speeches and started with the Loyal Toast which is traditional in the country. Since there was no senior family member, he followed it by a toast to the bride and groom.

James stood up and spoke next, with compliments about how I and the girls looked, not forgetting Danielle, and how lucky he was to have met such a lovely lady. (Blushes from me of course.) He mentioned his new job as Hey's librarian and said he was looking forward to meeting everyone when they called in. As Miss Marks was present, he was too diplomatic to say that he had big plans for the library, but I know he has. He then proposed a toast to the bridal party.

Martin as Best Man responded with a very nice and short speech saying he had known James for many years and was so pleased to learn that he had met someone he wanted to marry. He made some complimentary marks about me and said he knew we would have a very happy life together.

At this point Tom stood up and said he would like to say a few words. As far as I can recall them they went like this.

“Today, I was given the great honour of taking part in Lesley and James's wedding, by 'giving away the bride', which is an ancient tradition, dating back to the times when a young woman was considered the property of her father. (Laughter) Of course, no woman today really needs to be 'given away', but I took it as a great compliment when Lesley effectively asked me to step in for her late father, a fine man whom I had the pleasure of meeting when he and his late wife came out to Australia.

“Another tradition at wedding receptions is to say something to embarrass either the bride or groom! Now I've only recently met James and even in the short time I've known him I can tell that he too is a fine man and he and Lesley will have a wonderful life together. So that leaves Lesley, and now I can tell you an embarrassing story. It dates back to the very first day that she arrived here to work at Mackenzie Station, and I was reminded of the incident when Lesley showed us a film the other night.

She had been dropped off at the train halt and it was a moderately warm day, about a hundred and five degrees. I don't know if the train was early or I was late, but she sat there for about an hour with only the tin shed for shade and I think she was already imagining the vultures circling when I arrived. She didn't know at that stage that we don't have vultures in Australia of course! (More laughter) Well, she hopped into the truck cabin and we started off for the Station. She had no idea of the distances involved, but eventually we came to the boundary fence and I asked her to open the gate. She hopped out and opened the gate and then to my surprise got back into the truck! (By now the guests were chortling at every sentence.) Well of course I had to put her right about leaving every gate the way you find it!

“That was her first lesson in station management, but you would have to say that she was a quick learner and had the last laugh, because she now owns and manages one of the best cattle stations in the State. (“Hear, hear” from the audience and wild applause.) So in conclusion, as the oldest guest here today, I would like you to charge your glasses again and join me in a toast – 'To Lesley and James'.”

It was now my turn to rise to my feet. It might not be a tradition for the bride to speak, but it's happening more often nowadays, and why not?

“Thank you Tom. I know I shouldn't have shown you that old film and stirred your memory! I want to give a big thank you to everyone who has come here today to join in our wedding celebrations. From those who have come the furthest, like my cousin Marie and her husband Michael all the way from England, to those who only had come come down the road; it is wonderful to see you all.

As you know, this is a second marriage for both James and myself, and I think we both feel so wonderfully lucky that we have found love again. Love is so precious and to be given another chance at happiness is a gift to be treasured. James said some very complimentary things about me in his speech and I would like to say something in return. He is as Tom said a very fine man and I count myself the luckiest woman alive to have met him and gained his love, so although it's a break from tradition, I would now like you to charge your glasses and toast - “The Groom”.

I looked down at James and saw that his eyes were glistening with unshed tears, so I bent down and kissed him.

The mood had become a little solemn, so Steve the M.C., stepped in and announced that it was now time to cut the wedding cake, which we did to the cheers of the guests. Then the band struck up for the wedding waltz. I love dancing and it was so wonderful to be held in James's arms as we waltzed around the floor. Soon we were joined by the wedding party and then the guests. When the second waltz started, James said that he had something to do and would I like to dance with Tom? We walked over to their table and Tom said he would be delighted to dance with the bride. I had a sneaking suspicion I knew what James was up to, and it was confirmed when after the next waltz, Denis the band leader announced that they had a special guest singer to perform for us.

“We can't bring you the original, but we can bring you his namesake. Ladies and gentlemen, James Taylor.”

James appeared on the stage to great applause and the band struck up my favourite Buddy Holly song “Everyday” which the 'original' James Taylor has reworked so well.

“Everyday, things are getting closer,
Going faster than a roller-coaster,
Loves like yours will surely come my way....”

Tom smiled at me as we moved around the floor. “He's a talented man this new husband of yours.”

“Indeed he is, oh and by the way, I forgive you for telling that story about the station gate from all those years ago. I guess these things come back to haunt us, a bit like Elizabeth the First and the Earl of Oxford.”

Tom looked at me quizzically “You've lost me there,” he said.

“It comes from John Aubrey's diary that he wrote back in the sixteen hundreds. It seems the Earl was at court one day and while making a deep bow to the Queen he 'let forth a fart' in Aubrey's words. He was so ashamed that he left England and travelled abroad for seven years. After that time he returned and presented himself at court again and the Queen greeted him by saying. “My Lord, you should not have stayed away so long. We had quite forgot the fart.”

Tom roared with laughter. “Lesley you never cease to surprise me.”

His face took on a serious look. “Look, I'd like you to promise me something. If anything.....happens while you're away, don't come rushing back. Enjoy your honeymoon, you deserve it.”

“Oh Tom, please don't ask me to do that. I'm only away two weeks.” I could feel tears starting in my eyes.

Tom looked remorseful “I'm sorry Lesley, I shouldn't have asked you that. Forget I said it. Will you forgive me?”

I managed a smile, even though my heart felt a chill. “There's nothing to forgive. You're right though, I am looking forward to getting away for a couple of weeks – just me and James. It will be heaven wherever it is, and do you know he hasn't told me?”

“He told me,” replied Tom, “but only on the condition of the strictest secrecy. Take my word though, you're going to enjoy it.”

We continued our dance, chatting away. I had made a special request of the band that they not play too loud. I've been at dances where everyone had to shout to make themselves heard. This was a special time for me as I suspect I might not have the opportunity to dance with Tom again.

I've lost count of the number of people I danced with over the next few hours, but around midnight we called it a day. I looked over to Angela and Danielle was asleep on her lap. Tom and Ellen had gone home an hour before.

“Lesley, we've had wonderful time,” said Ellen. “It's a day we'll always remember, but Tom is tired and I think it's time to get him home.”

I walked over to where Tom was sitting and he looked grey with fatigue.

“Thank you for all you did today Tom. We're only away two weeks and I'll come and see you when we return.”

He stood up and we hugged and I kissed him on the cheek, and I kissed Ellen too. I stood there watching them as they left the hall, Tom leaning heavily on Ellen.

The bus came back and all the wedding party except James and I got on board to be taken back to the Station. James had booked a room in the local hotel for our wedding night, which was one of the most wonderful we had spent together despite us being rather tired after all the events of the day. There's something special about married life.

The following morning we returned to the Station to farewell our guests and make arrangements to see them again. Marie and Michael were going back with their son and family in their caravan, and we are going to see them in Sydney after our return. I was flying the others back to Brisbane, except for Alison and Danielle who are staying with Tom and Ellen for a couple of weeks, as James had told me that was where our honeymoon was starting. According to him, I should get a job as a field marshal after all my wedding arrangements had gone so smoothly. Quite a compliment!

That brings me up to date. The ship is taking us on a tour of New Zealand where we are stopping off at various points to go ashore and enjoy the wonderful scenery that the country has to offer. It's going to be a great trip.

To be continued

Image credit: Australian cattle station by Harris Walker reproduced under Creative Commons license with attribution.

up
156 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Bronwen,

Nothing like a country wedding ,always a big day for the girls and family .I am going to miss this story when completed.

ALISON

Browen,

Browen,
A really nice chapter and brought happy tears to my eyes, as weddings generally do. I do hope that Tom will not pass away due to his medical issues, while Leslie and James are away on their honeymoon.
That would be so very, very sad indeed, and a truly great trauma to his granddaughter Danielle and daughter Angela.
Janice Lynn

weddings

Ahh, Finally married and they lived happily ever after, what a wonderful chapter Bronwen I wish this story could go on forever :)
Love and hugs From Carla Bay.

ROO

Loved the

description of the wedding Bronwen , I almost felt like i was there, Lesley's arrangements sounded perfect and the whole thing went off without an itch....

Poor Tom, I think he knows deep down that his time is very short and he is trying to help Lesley face the fact that in all likelihood he will not be around when she returns from her honeymoon, Its quite remarkable that people who know they are near death almost seem to choose a time to pass on when it will cause the least suffering to those that they leave behind. Lesley though is nothing if not a woman who lives in the real world, Running a business as in life will always bring its fair share of happiness and heartache. Yes she will mourn, But she will also know that its all part of the great circle of life and Tom would want her to remember him for the friendship he extended to her when she first arrived ...

I know i say this almost every time Bronwen but this is a lovely story very well written, Thanks for sharing it with us.

Hugs

Kirri

Not Quite Traditional

joannebarbarella's picture

It was a lovely wedding and so well described.....but there was no fight!!!

For non-Aussies there is traditionally a fight at a country wedding, usually between the younger rellies of bride and groom after they have imbibed more than their fair share of liquor.

P.S. Bronwen, you know I'm only joking and I'm really very glad that there was no fight. Lesley and James' friends and rellies were far too nice for that.