Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2619

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2619
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

“Have you seen this, Mummy?” Trish waved her iPad at me.

“What sweetheart?”

“Something Ricky Gervais tweeted.”

I can’t stand the man. “I doubt it would be of much interest to me, sweetie.”

“I think it will, Mummy.”

I took the iPad off her and was horrified to see a picture of blonde woman lying next to a dead giraffe she had just shot and killed with a bow. Gervais was equally horrified asking what possessed her to take a picture of herself lying alongside a beautiful wild animal and why had she killed it. It was obscene, but then I saw the woman’s name and I’m sure she posted a picture of herself with recently killed lions, not too long ago. She’s American, obviously wealthy and with no empathy for anything wild except that required to kill it. We have similar predatory, soulless beings in Britain and Europe as well. It’s funny if some people see something beautiful they need to kill or destroy it, even our other fellow primates don’t do that and we call them dumb animals. If there is any justice in this world, this blood thirsty woman will meet her end when some dumb animal turns the tables and eats her, though I suspect she probably has loads of people with guns protecting her while she indulges her sick pleasures. In which case her skills are minimal, anyone can shoot fish in a barrel.

I despise killing for pleasure as I see it as the activity of the psychopath, and there seem to be so many in this world. Fortunately it appears to be less common in women, but that could be a wrong impression.

I suppose the woman psychopath in the selfie would be just as condemnatory of me for being a weirdo in changing my gender, except the only things I’ve killed are insects who hit the front of my car and some people who were trying to kill me first. I like to think I’ve saved the lives of more than I caused to die. I hope it’s true or am I really no better than Rebecca Francis? I shuddered as this went through my mind.

“Trouble?” asked Henry.

“No, just thinking about this,” I handed him Trish’s iPad.

“How gross is that?” he gave it back to Trish, “Ugly human with beautiful animal.” It summed up my feeling too.

About an hour later, Simon phoned to say he was home and missing his wee wifey. I told him that the Lady Cameron was indisposed, trying to care for his daughter who’d been hurt trying to protect his bank. He was a little more conciliatory after that.

My phone peeped, I had a text from aforementioned injured offspring. ‘i can go home 2moro. Ypeee! Sam xxx’

If that was the case, it would be very good. Obviously our healing had helped to speed things up just a bit. I told Trish and she said she’d stay with her Gramps to keep the bank safe while Sammi was recuperating. I told her if Sammi could go home, we were all going home tomorrow. She didn’t quite storm off, but she definitely did more than breeze along.

While I was at the office I dealt with several matters including an outline strategy for the bank’s continued ecological path—albeit a wavering one. It appeared I was also the moral voice of the bank, though quite why, I didn’t know unless it was purely to enable the other directors to express their capitalistic tendencies with no inhibitions. I did warn Henry that I refused to be the bank’s apologist. He assured me I wasn’t. The expression on my face possibly showed I didn’t entirely believe him.

“You cut me to the core, Cathy.”

“I notice you didn’t say, heart.”

“Of course I didn’t, you’d know I was lying...”

“Because you’re a banker you don’t have one,” I said for him.

“Quite,” was his reply.

“Very funny.”

“Oh, was it?”

“No, it was anything but.”

“Oh,” the middle aged schoolboy looked crestfallen.

“It was too predictable, a bit like the Russians tend to be.”

“Unlike my granddaughter, apparently.”

“Which one?”

“You have so many you can’t remember which one you brought with you?”

“I have two in London at present if you recall.”

“This but one of them.”

“Trish, I suppose. Don’t tell me she’s bought out the stock exchange.”

“I won’t tell you—because it isn’t so. No, she offered to stay and look after the computer while you took Sammi home.”

“No, she comes home with us, she has school to attend once we know these bandits have been summoned back to Russia.”

“Did she mention the time bomb?”

“No, what time bomb?”

“She’s put one on the system.”
“Your system?” I was horrified.

“Our system, Cathy, collective ownership and responsibility.”

“Where is she?” I felt like rolling up my sleeves and giving her a hiding she wouldn’t forget.

“In the IT room.”

“Sammi’s room?”

“Yes.”

I followed him down to Sammi’s room where Trish was sat at her desk doing some work in a colouring book. “I want a word with you, Missy.”

“I’m in a meeting, if you leave a message with my secretary, I’ll try and get back to you fairly soon.”

“My office, now,” I said coldly.

She continued her colouring with barely a pause.

“I think you’d better, Trish, your mother is a director and if you disregard her, I’m afraid I’d have to sack you on the spot,” said Henry backing me up.

“’S not fair,” she said putting her pencil down. I led her back to my office and shut the door.

“Why shouldn’t I just send you home by Gramp’s limo this very moment?”

“The bank might not like tomorrow.”

“Because you added something nasty to their system?”

“I mighta done,” she said blushing.

“Do you realise for one moment how much damage that would do to the bank’s credibility. Do you hate Gramps and your dad so much that you want to cause them lots of pain and embarrassment. Do you despise me so much you want me to be forced to resign from my directorship here and the various projects the bank has helped me with, including Billie’s study centre? Finally, do you hate your sister so much that you can destroy in moments what she’s been doing for the past two years? If the answer is yes to any of those questions, I don’t think I want to see you again.”

She stood in front of me face like a beetroot and tears dribbling down her cheeks.

“I’m waiting for an answer, Miss Watts.”

“I’m Miss Cameron,” she said in between sobs.

“No you’re not, the Camerons have spent two hundred years building up and protecting the bank for you, a traitor to destroy it in an act of spitefulness which makes me so angry with you, I don’t think I ever want to see you again. I cannot believe one of my own children betrayed me.”

“Where shall I go?”

“That’s no longer my problem, mine will be getting a still recovering Sammi out of a hospital bed to try and sort your malevolence.”

“She won’t be able to find it.”

“I think you underestimate your sister’s ability with computing.”

“No I don’t, she’s quite good, but she won’t be able to find it.”

“Meaning?”

“I’m better ’an her.”

“Trish, Sammi has a master’s degree in cyber protection.”

“Don’t mean anything. She still won’t find it.”

“So that’s your last word is it?”

She shrugged.

I picked up my phone and pretended to dial. “Is that security, good. We have a child up here who no longer belongs here, please come and get her and show her off the premises. Take her? I really don’t care, once she’s out on the street she’s not my worry. Two minutes, thank you.”

“You wouldn’t do that to me would you?” she looked more shocked than sad.

“You have two minutes to stop me.”

“How am I supposed to do that?”

“Take the time-bomb off the system—NOW.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
280 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Time bomb

Maybe its time to discover what the bomb does and to whom

kids

Maddy Bell's picture

who'd have 'em?

Mads in deepest Germany!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

I wonder

Teresa L.'s picture

if why Sammi wouldnt be able to find it, is because its not really there? Maybe Trish is just pushing things, as she tends to try now and again, to get her way. Hopefully (but not likely) maybe this lesson will stick with her a mite longer than in the past.

Teresa L.

Teresa L.

She needs a time-bomb up her a--e.

The kid's dangerous, she needs taking down a peg or two - or three.
Still lovin' it and thanks for the continuation.
Bev.

bev_1.jpg

What the ....?

What is that child doing? Methinks it's time for Cathy to get in touch with the 'goddess' or at least Billie. Either there is a solution or the child has to be removed from the home, her sisters, parents, et all, and isolated from all electronic devices. She's a danger to herself, and others, and is a national security risk of the first magnitude.
It's a shame. The kid had real potential.

Red MacDonald

I guess...

It serves me right waiting until this time to post a comment on yesterdays Bike , Only to find that its rode off into the distance ...Such is life i guess

Trish can be such a little darling ... At times... Trouble is there is the other side of her nature, The side that delights in showing off her great intelligence , Looking at the dialogue between Trish and her mother, Cathy comes across as being a little hard on her daughter , Not that i feel she had any choice , As we have seen in the past Trish respects few things , She knows that in most cases her brains will extract her from almost any situation, This time however she seems to have overstepped the mark and Cathy did what she had to do , Its not nice to threaten an adopted child like that but what choice did Cathy have ?

Kirri

Why Is That Child So Malevolent?

littlerocksilver's picture

How much of her behavior is due to nurture and how much due to nature. Some people are evil from the get go, and some learn evil as they grow up. Obviously, there is a short circuit in Trish's judgment chip. There is a need for serious intervention. The child has everything one could want, and she wants to destroy it. Sadly, she won't be the first one. Hollywood is full of them.

Portia

Trish and words

Trish gets her words muddled and probably says what she means but as we say what she means isn't what we think.
Maybe the time bomb is in the programmes and woe betide the hackers who have attempted to infiltrate the bank.

It looks like it may be time

It looks like it may be time for Cathy to really employ the "tough Love" program as Trish definitely needs something done to her. I too am wondering if she needs to do as told and then after doing, sit down with Cathy, Henry and Sammi to explain what she did, how she did it, and why she did it. She may have helped in saving the bank by her actions, or she may have caused more harm than good by them as well.
Time and Sammi will tell.

Playing the abandonment card.

Not that I was such a good parent, but I never played that card. We raised two natural children and adopted one, and I loved them to bits, unconditionally.

Now Trish may be a different matter, perhaps "bad to the bone"? Not remembering exactly how old she is, could it be Borderline Personality, or onset of Bipolar Disorder, or even Schizophrenia?

Could she simply need to be held?

Gwen

A threat never to be used?

Rhona McCloud's picture

Cathy promised each of her children that she would never disown them so to hear her call Trish Miss Watts…. For me the most startling moment in 2,619 episodes so please don't get struck down by lightning or meteor before resolving my qualms Angharad

Rhona McCloud

Giraffe

It seems that a whole bunch of people are being totally apoplectic over that giraffe.

It turns out that she never wanted to shoot a giraffe. When they first offered, she said, "no."

But, the giraffe is an old male that was kicked out of the herd by younger and more fit males. It was pretty much at the end of its life.

She killed it so that the natives could have it. They used pretty much everything -- the meat, the skin, the bones.

By giving it to the locals, she helped them, and reduced the number of animals that they would otherwise have harvested.

I wonder what giraffe tastes like. I'll bet it was tough and had to be cooked for a long time.

So all the other animals she killed

Angharad's picture

were old and dying too, were they? The evidence speaks for itself, she's lying alongside it smiling - she is one sick puppy who enjoys killing things.

Angharad

Judgmental much?

Hunting is literally as old as humankind. It's in our DNA -- like every other instinct. It used to be the only way that we could get high quality protein. Now, of course, we can go to the grocery store and buy meat that someone else killed, while sneering at those who do the deed for us.

I'm not complaining

Angharad's picture

about hunting for food but killing for pleasure which seems excessive and to me, perverse.

Angharad

Hunting

Yes, there are some animals that I don't like to see hunted. Anything in the cat family tops the list.

I save my disgust for people who kill endangered or threatened species, hunt without concern for the ecology, or cause undue suffering to the animals.

I save my outrage for those who kill innocent people because they disagree with their lifestyle or choices, disagree with their religion, or just don't like the way that they look.

I'm going to have to wait for the next chapter

on this one. I have trouble believing Trish could be that stupid, or malicious. Someone mentioned Trish muddling her words, I put a real possibility into that.

A lot depends on what the

A lot depends on what the bomb is designed to do. It could be a fail safe in case the bad guys get past the fire wall to stop them making use of the system.
It would have been better if Kathy had asked her what is designed to do and why she put it there.