The Visit - Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version

The Visit – Chapter 4
By
JulieDCole

The visit.jpg
Quick Update:
Robert worked in Bristol in his fathers firm and found out that he had an aunt in London who was older than his father and who had become rich but had no direct family. Roberts father had nothing to leave him save a struggling business so suggested he visit his aunt in London to form a bond that might result in inheritance. Since Robert had met a charming lady called Adele who lived and worked in London this was an opportunity to meet again and develop a relationship.
On arriving in London he was surprised by the family resemblance but shocked at how beauty had disappeared with age to leave a haggard look. He was not looking forward to old age and this encouraged him to look for any opportunity to enjoy life whilst he had youth and good looks on his side. He wanted to explore his relationship with Adele but could he afford it and how could he afford to stay in London and free himself from a hard life in Bristol. Perhaps something might come from a visit to his aunt, if only for a few days and so he accepted his fathers advice to travel.
I tidied the first three chapters and decided to return to writing after a time out. I apologize for taking so long to pick up the quill again on this story.
......................................................................................................................................................................................................
From Chaper 3

There had been something magical about Adele that had drawn him even more even dressed and behaving in this way. She had some tales to tell of her father and grandfather and pointed out an oil painting of her grandfather, hanging by the fireplace, in honor of his generous donations to the club during its foundation. She had made Robert laugh as she pulled faces at some of the members who bid ‘him’ good day. He had been taken with her confidence in this garb that had presented the opportunity for her to express her to humor as well as her masculine features and handsome appearance. Robert had wished they had met much earlier since he had felt he may well have then ventured to London without having to find a visit to his aunt as a suitable excuse.

The story moves forward and is Roberts own account of his experiences based upon his personal diaries from a hiding place at Tavistock Square and used in evidence during family disputes some 50 years later :-

Robert was transfixed for a moment or two by the wonderful surroundings. It was a surprise indeed that Adele had arrived as Arthur and that she had such connection with Judge Flemming, who was quite famous and especially that she had made friends with Robert since there was no family or business connection that he knew of. How memorable it was to frequent this rather splendid Gentlemen’s club in Oxford Street where her father and grandfather had spent many hours. Adele explained both had invested large parts of their accumulated wealth to enable them to mingle with many of London’s gentry and major business leaders.

Adele was keen to enlighten Robert. Her grandfather had the original purpose of becoming one of the gentry of London, with a Knighthood at least and whilst he had not achieved his goal during the latter part of his life when wealth was at his disposal he at least expected his son to fulfil his dream and if not, then his son for certain. Sadly due to grandfathers failing health and her father’s untimely passing the shareholding in the Club was now trapped inside the Company business, which had been solely the family business until banks became involved.

That apart as Adele was at pains to explain there was only the simple matter of the difficulty caused because he only had a daughter. Adele did at least try to put on a brave face pointing out that whatever happened in future her grandfather’s monument seemed to be this very place. In her opinion much better this than a knighthood that in any case would have died with her father. At least Adele had something to fight for even if she needed to masquerade as a fictitious cousin to enjoy it’s wonderful décor and splendor. At least as Arthur she had chance to frequently visit his monument. Robert did however express some concern suggesting this was not a long term solution since it may eventually become impossible for her to carry on the charade if, for any reason such as disclosure or, in case of marriage and then childbirth might make things difficult. Robert didn’t forsee any day when a woman would be allowed membership of such clubs. Adele admitted that in fact since taking the guise of Arthur she found her opinions had changed and she too might oppose such proposals if they ever came.

Upon further questions it came out that it was indeed the suggestion of the great man that Adele was introduced and registered as Edward’s nephew, a young man of 18 years, as silent representative of his grand-daughter who was by now involved in the family business. The great man doted upon Adele even though she was a disappointment having been born of the inferior sex. It brought a tear to Adele’s eye as she told Robert the story and a little stamp of her foot in annoyance. Such frustration for a person of her capability to be born a woman in a man’s world.

Almost as she stamped her foot Robert was surprised since Adele was almost sent sprawling by a sudden and severe slap on her back that was accompanied by a bellowing voice. “Now then young Fleming my boy, who is this you bring to our club this fine day. Is it one of your nancy-boyfriends. Or perhaps tis your girlfriend disguised as a boy? Come on Fleming what would your uncle think. You know the consequences of such breaches my boy. Instant dismissal. He is no longer here to protect you and he might have been as disappointed as I am to see standards slipping. Better you resign methinks so you don’t shame the family. What say you young Fleming?”

The response from Adele was calm and said with passion that I’d not seen before in the short duration of our friendship. “ Sir, please refrain from such behavior, this is a Gentleman’s club for gentlemen and you behave like a ne’er do well. Such inferences or accusations need to be substantiated. Cease your abuse and apologize or face the consequences. The rooms that were quiet anyway fell totally in silence. It seemed an age before Sir Henry withdrew from the confrontation.

It appeared that Adele and this man had history and she made this clear to Robert that she detested him and found him rude and offensive. She apologized for her behavior but more-so for his, that she explained was part of the reason for problems that were surrounding her and the business that her family had once owned outright but was now part owned by other shareholders. She would not burden Robert with her problems even though he wanted to help.

So it was Robert witnessed Adele’s encounter with Sir Henry Tancred, a bounder, cheat and rascal and it seemed he was one of a number of lesser gentlemen who were now members of the club. Robert managed to extract from Adele that each had loaned money to her father to cover a number of substantial bad debts. He had laughed out loud before turning his back and heading to the dining room with a dismissive wave. Adele would say no more and made light of the encounter by making a joke about the comment that Robert gave an impression of a nancy boy or even a girl who was dressed as a boy. He tried to accept the joke but his smile was clearly forced.

Over lunch Adele shared a little more about her need to make frequent visits to the club because the family business she had inherited was regularly providing funds for its upkeep and the operating costs on top of the bad debts were a disappointment to her father who finally gave his blessing for her to help after she showed her ability to act the part of a young man.

Adele had been gradually seeking out information and had accumulated several promise notes already. In her male garb she was able to mingle with members to accrue the information she needed for debts to be recovered but it was a long process and the pressure on the family business was a burden now on her shoulders. She tried to shrug off any sign of worry and dragged Robert to a table by the fireside that had just been vacated. There they enjoyed a glass of claret and ordered the pheasant gamebird lunch recommended by Adele.

Robert had not intended to discuss his own problems but could not resist the charms of Adele so he eventually explained his reason for visiting Tavistock Square and his father’s suggestion to form a close bond to his aunt who had no other family and who’s health was in decline. Robert explained his apparent likeness to his aunt Roberta who surely must have been in a confused state. His nightmare was that eventually he may look old and haggard like her and could not understand why he should resemble her and not his own father or mother. Adele suggested she might at least be invited to afternoon tea to understand.

After lunch and a glass of fine cognac Adele suggested they took some fresh air with a walk in Hyde Park where they could carry on their conversation.

Adele charged the lunch to Arthurs account and left a generous tip that was well appreciated and after donning their top coats they headed towards the Arch and entered the park that looked rather enchanting in the afternoon sunshine. They headed towards the lake and hardly noticed the splendid architecture of the buildings in Park Lane there discussion being so intense. Adele carried herself very well matching Roberts stride and she lit up a small cigar stopping from time to time to re-light it much to her annoyance. They were from her late fathers imported stock and she was thrilled at the opportunity that she said was a rare excursion from her daily routine in Roberts honor.

From time to time Adele returned to the comment of Sir Henry and did in fact agree that Robert had certain features more akin to a female than male and had a rather cute smile. Robert tried his best not to blush or show signs of embarrassment but found the conversation exhilarating and so he couldn’t stop himself from admitting that his aunt was apparently confused and had made reference to him as her niece and was quite jealous of his youthfulness.

They laughed and joked about the prospects of Robert becoming the charge of Aunt Roberta and being introduced to her friends as Miss Roberta. Adele joked that this would surely mean high prospects of Robert becoming her heir to her property and the wealth she had accumulated. Robert preferred not to discuss this matter in the open park but didn’t dismiss the notion in his mind.

Adele used the walk to clear her mind and started to take note of the young ladies making reference to their outfits and asking Roberts opinion from time to time. Clearly Adele felt a certain freedom but at the same time she had an eye for the latest fashions. Robert had no experience on which to call.

They sat for a while looking at the wildlife on the lake and it was becoming much warmer so Robert untied the buttons of his top coat that was rather too heavy for a spring day in London. He was rather uncomfortable and had the urge to loosen the bandages holding his breasts but he dare not. They seemed to be expanding again and they were sensitive. He wanted to release them and touch them and felt he couldn’t last much longer.

It was then that Adele noticed Roberts discomfort and she enquired if he was alright. She was staring at his chest but was too discreet to say anything for fear of embarrassing him. Robert dare not mention his problem for fear of losing Adele’s friendship so he feigned discomfort in his stomach due to the rather rich food that was a unique experience. So they cut through to Knightsbridge where Adele waived down a London cab. Because he was unwell she decided to accompany him to Tavistock Square.

She jumped out first and held out a hand for him grinning broadly in so doing. He stepped down and did a mock curtsey whereupon Adele kissed him on the hand. The cab driver looked on in amazement and then straight ahead whilst the two walked to the front door. Polly opened it before they had chance to knock.

‘Oh Polly this is Mr. Arthur Fleming who was kind enough to bring me home safely.’

They shook hands and Adele jumped quickly back into the cab. As she blew a kiss it didn’t go unnoticed by Polly.

‘Welcome back home Miss Roberta. So you took lunch with a handsome young man. What of your disguise didn’t he object?’

‘Hush Polly I will explain later. First I need to free myself of this restraint since I fear we were too severe this morning. Is Aunt Roberta still entertaining guests.”

“No Miss Roberta they have left and she is taking a nap before dinner. She expects you to join her but I have something to share with you and had instruction that first, if you so wish I should draw you a nice scented bath and then am required to choose something appropriate to wear for dinner.

Robert noted Polly was referring to him as the woman she believed was masquerading as a young man but chose not to chastise her for it. On the contrary indeed he was feeling rather different after his outing with Adele. He didn’t linger and was relieved to remove his waist coat shirt and undershirt and access the tapes which he almost tore from his body. He looked in the glass and understood immediately why the tapes had been uncomfortable. There had been another growth spurt and he was astonished at the change that had taken place in just a few weeks and he wondered how he could keep this a secret. He removed the tie that held his hair in place and let it fall across his face before shaking it and pushing it behind his ears. He stared at his image and saw the facial resemblance to the painting of his aunt that hung in the hallway but more-so he saw the striking figure of a slim upright bare breasted woman in breeches and boots and the image of young Mr. Robert was not obvious at first glance. He had to search for masculinity.

Miss Polly entered his chamber and Robert picked up his shirt and covered his chest immediately before he realized it was her. It seemed to be a natural reaction but Polly was discreet as any experienced maid should be who tends her employers every need.

“Excuse me Miss Roberta your bath is pulled and I will bring a gown and towel if you wish. I can help you remove your boots and breeches.”

“OK Polly the gown would be most welcome and perhaps you can just help me with the boots please. “

As he sat down he relaxed his guard and Polly smiled as he seemed to proudly display his blossoming bust with no shyness now apparent. He looked down with admiring eyes. He felt more relaxed now in front of Polly as a woman rather than as a young man. Even his nipples seemed to have grown and they were a deeper color than a few weeks ago. Polly was too polite to comment though Robert was hoping she might complement him so was a little disappointed.

Once she had freed him of his boots Polly withdrew and re-appeared once he had entered deep warm water of the bath. She hung the dressing gown and towel within easy reach but he could not imagine stepping out whilst she was present and Polly was discreet enough to leave him for a while to enjoy the splendor.

When she had left Robert was finally able to relax and his hands went instantly to caress his new bosoms and as he let his fingers glide across his nipples he shuddered and lay back to enjoy the experience. It had a reciprocal effect on his manhood that for once was reaching out for attention, perhaps out of envy. It was short-lived but nevertheless enjoyable until the point where he felt himself was to let out a squeal and shivered slightly that caused his eyes to close. He lay back until he recovered himself and it was fortunate that Polly had withdrawn.

He had just enjoyed the most pleasurable day of his life as he reflected and had been delighted to spend time with Adele. He wanted to help her if possible but he had nothing to offer surely. He could not match her apparent wealth and experience nor her confidence in the surroundings of an English alehouse and especially in his first ever venture into a Gentleman’s club. He’d seen Adele in another light and wondered if she would have preferred to be the son and grandson her father and grandfather hoped would carry on tradition and the family name,

Then, as if by signal, Polly re-appeared to wash his back and neck and a new calm came to Roberts body but he had the urge to display his chest from beneath the suds. Polly smiled and Robert acknowledged. Polly then proceeded to pass the news she had withheld earlier. She explained about the information that his aunt had conveyed to her lady friends from the afternoon tea. She had been excited by Roberts visit and told them how proud she was of her niece referring to Robert as Roberta the whole time. It was Pollys’ belief that Aunt Roberta was not accepting Robert and knew of his masquerade and preferred he present as the woman Polly believed he really was. Polly concluded that Roberts aunt might prefer that Robert present as herself and not as a young man.

Robert suspected otherwise because he knew his aunt was not confused or becoming senile. She was aware she had a nephew not a niece,

Polly handed Robert a short note that Aunt Roberta had sent that was an invitation to join her for dinner in more suitable attire that she had asked Polly to arrange from her wardrobe so she could see herself again rather than the images in the glass all around the house.

Polly waited for instruction but he had to consider for a few moments. She wanted him to present as Roberta. Was there more reason than she had inferred in the note? What other possible reason could there be to tell friends she had a niece not a nephew. What would his father think? What would Adele think? Still she had resorted to male garb for her own reasons. Surely he couldn’t present as a young woman and feel comfortable? But it was at least an opportunity to see the other side he had seen in the mirror and after all Polly had already concluded he was in fact female and seen him in a nightdress. That experience alone made him more inquisitive. Perhaps his aunt would look even more kindly and generously on him as a niece?

He decided to accept the invitation because of his own feelings and to enquire of his aunt if she had motif. Perhaps he could accept to behave as a niece might behave as long as it was kept between them and contained within the grounds of the house.

Robert shook his head in mild disbelief at the suggestion but Polly insisted he respond to the note and suggested they might both explore the future a little more over dinner and she would be happy if Miss Roberta dressed appropriately and would extend her stay. Polly had no long term future in this house as maid to Aunt Roberta.

Robert hoped Polly might dim the lights in case of embarrassment and if so he could not really object since he now wished to see himself as a lady and perhaps it might have a beneficial effect on Aunt Roberta. Polly had prepared in advance and gathered some of Aunt Roberta’s wardrobe insisting the fit would be perfect and the style acceptable for dinner. So Aunt Roberta had anticipated acceptance of her request that was not a surprise to Robert in view of her strong personality.

So it was he succumbed to Aunt Roberta’s request and Polly scurried off to make ready whilst Robert dried himself and put on the gown before him. He might have to take extra care to cover himself below but he relished the challenge.

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

re read!

I liked this story when I first came across it, I think its definatley worth a re-read from the beginning to get aquainted with the characters again

Thank you Julie,

Lovely to see you writing again,you have not lost your touch .

ALISON

I could write a very boring book.

It might explain a few of the causes of my distractions this last 6 months. It is not relevant. I guess I missed the pleasure posting stories gave me. I needed a small nudge from a friend that was a factor. Then I saw a blog that woke me up.
Would I be correct in assuming you remember the London Cab from bygone days.The one horse power ones I mean. Every time I visit London I find it is easy to step back in time.

Jules

JulieDCole,

JulieDCole,
As I almost forgot about this lovely story, I am going to have to go back and read all the chapters again to get caught up. I am very glad you have continued it.
Hugs, Janice

Good to See This Again...

Re-read it from the start. Unusual and interesting story; I'm looking forward to finding out where it's headed.

It seems that Adele and Robert/a have more in common than either would have expected, and it's more than just an interest in crossdressing. Apparently Adele's financial situation is such that a connection to Miss Deane's eventual legacy would be very welcome. We seem to be given the impression -- though I'm not at all as certain about it as our cast is -- that Miss Deane's mental condition is so confused that a liaison between her niece Roberta and Arthur Flemming wouldn't be treated oddly, even though it was Robert and Adele who were getting together that day.

I still have the feeling, based on Robert's original conversation with his aunt, that there's something very relevant here relating to their family background that she knows and he doesn't. If it's a shared genetic anomaly, Robert's gender-fluid nature may well be something she's anticipating and taking in stride, rather than her attitude being a sign of her mental confusion.

Hopefully we'll know more soon, and perhaps have a better idea what Adele had in mind in pursuing Robert originally.

Eric

Thankyou Eric

I did some minor editing to chapters 1 &2 and tidied this chapter that was not checked. I had not used the final draft that confused me when I read your comments and it was my error.
Thanks to Eric I hope the story is more clear. The early errors weren't significant but hopefully this chapter is greatly improved as it unwinds.

Jules

Life for an intersexed person

during that era would have to be hard, especially since women were little more than property.

Hi Wendy

I totally agree and who knows how much pain was inflicted on those who were confused through total ignorance. It can't be that anybody was looking for advantage just to be recognised and live as the person they were clearly born to be.
I hope you continue to read the story.

Jules