Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2626

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2626
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

I was more awake going home in the bus than I’d been coming to Hayling Island so my mind was able to consider what Phoebe had been on about and why the shivering while she spoke to me about Lizzie? I had no immediate answers, nothing came to mind, so what wasn’t she telling me? I’d speak to Julie when we got home, if anyone knew, she would.

Phoebe had finished her course at Easter, having done some extra things like electrolysis and laser therapy for hair removal. I was fortunate that I’d never needed such depilation apart from my legs and that was relatively light and fair. I got by with waxing or shaving what was there. Phoebe had offered me electrolysis but I didn’t fancy hot needles in my follicles, so I graciously declined. Danielle had her eyebrows shaped before I got to hear of it so I couldn’t say very much, though it either showed she had little idea of consequences or wasn’t planning on revisiting masculinity anytime soon.

The younger girls had been whispering about someone called Paul and she blushed and threatened them whenever they mentioned the name, so I began to think she must have an admirer. It wasn’t something I had a problem with as she’d begun to look very different from her old self since growing her hair and colouring it, the effects of hormones on her face and body, softening both and changing her demeanour quite a lot. As a boy she’d become defensive about so many things but as a girl, since surgery and her subsequent adaption to it, she’d become much more open and approachable and until her younger sisters teased her about this boy, quite good natured.

When I’d spoken to her about Cindy, she saw her most days in school and they were still friends, but not as close friends. Part of me wondered why—had they just moved on, or did Danielle see herself as more of a girl than her friend? I was never quite sure and I certainly couldn’t ask her. Her enthusiasm for our sewing bee, waned, Danielle’s, that is, Cindy would have continued but her mother changed her job and getting here was more difficult.

At home, we discovered Phoebe had put little Lizzie to bed by the time we arrived back from the hotel. I did the same with Cate soon after and told the others to do any homework as they’d be going in an hour.

Julie was in the utility room doing a load of towels from the salon so I slipped in and shut the door and began helping her to fold them as she took them out of the tumble drier. “Pheebs asked me about adopting Lizzie.”

“Yeah, she said she would.” Julie continued with her laundry.

“Any reason why she’s brought it up now?”

“Look, we’re thinking of expanding and moving to larger premises.”

“Can you afford to?”

“If we don’t we’re going to stagnate. I want another stylist and Phoebe wants to concentrate on the beauty side of things. We’re thinking of moving closer to the town centre.”

“Is that going to cost more rent and rates?”

“Yeah, we’ve been working on a business plan which we think might work.”

“Show it to your dad, he’s the expert.”

“Except he’ll think we’re trying to tap him for some capital.”

“Won’t you be?”

“Yeah, but not at this stage.”

“Want me to look it over?”

“What for—uh, sorry didn’t mean it sound like that.”

“That’s okay, I’m only your dumb mother who knows nothing about finance or business plans other than controlling a budget of a million or two for a university department and a staff of thirty five people.”

“Sorry, Mummy, I didn’t mean it like that, I meant—you’re hardly a commercial concern are you?”

“My department generates between seventy five and one hundred and twenty thousand pounds every year by selling services to other bodies.”

“Like councils?”

“Partly, the government is our biggest client, obviously the bank is a good customer but also commercial organisations from Tesco to small businesses.”

“What did Tesco want with an ecologist?”

“We’ve done surveys before they developed sites make sure there were no protected species present.”

“Ah—makes sense, I suppose. Wouldn’ta thought they cared too much about such things, that’s more Waitrose and M&S innit?”

“Being eco friendly is becoming increasingly important to their customers and for the cost is worth the money. They also have to watch what their more recognised eco friendly competitors are doing and match them.”

“Makes sense I s’pose.”

“So why did Phoebe ask about adoption?”

“I told you,” she said folding the last towel.

“I want the real reason.”

“I think you’d need to ask her.”

“That means you know as well.”

“Sorta.”

“I shall ask her but I’d like some idea first.”

“Why, just ask her.”

“If it was that straightforward she’d have told me when she asked. I know it isn’t to take the heat off her because we’d already agreed I’d take responsibility for Lizzie to let her have some freedom to finish her education and find a good job. I’m pretty sure it isn’t this expansion you’re planning, is it?”

Julie went a lovely shade of puce. “I can’t tell you, Mummy.”

“You can and you will because you know I’ll never betray that confidence.”

“Sod it, you’ll wheedle it out of me anyway. Don’t you dare tell her I told you or she’ll never speak to me again and the business will go tits up.”

“I promise.”

“Okay, some of it is guesswork, but her mother and her auntie died with breast cancer.”

“She’s carrying the gene?”

Julie shrugged. “She went to the doctor a month or so ago and she’s had a couple of half days since then.”

“Why didn’t she tell me?”

“You were too busy and then the stupid Russians appeared again...”

“I’m never too busy to listen to any of you.”

“Aren’t you? You fall asleep at your desk or watching telly, you’re either always in work or busy in your study...”

“Running a department is rather time consuming...”

“Yeah, didn’t realise you did budgets an’ things too; wish my budget was a million.”

“If it was you’d pay a great deal of tax on it.”

“Yeah, s’pose so.”

“Look, can you drop hints that I’m worried about her without saying why, except her suggestion to adopt Lizzie. She was shaking when she spoke with me.”

“Wouldn’t you be frightened if you were contemplating having your tits off?”

“They don’t do that until after removal of ovaries and womb and they don’t do it until the women are finished with having families. A colleague in uni had it done a year or so ago and her daughter is thinking of it.”

“I’ll try and hint to her, but don’t blame me if it doesn’t work.”

“I know I’m only her adoptive mother, but I do care for her—poor kid.”

“I know and we do love you,” she said wrapping me in a monster hug, “when you’re awake.” Then she chuckled and picked up her bag of towels and left the room while I stood there and felt disappointed in myself. I really wasn’t sure how much longer I could cope with running the department and caring for my children.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
276 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

If there was ever a need for blue light

Phoebe is a prime candidate. Can Cathy and crew do something to make her immune from the breast cancer trait? Suspect she can. But the adoption idea has merit anyway.

Cathy seems

to be getting closer to making a decision about her future , Sooner or later she will have to accept that being a mum to her brood and being so involved with the university are a mix that does not work.... In cases like that she will need to ask herself what is most important to herself , We all know how much her work means to her ,After all you do not spend years of your life studying just to throw it all away, But as Cathy is quickly coming to realise her family need her more.... It seems to me that if the university values her as much as they appear to do then they will need to be more flexible in order to keep her ... Can they really afford to lose her both on a personal and financial level..... The answer is in their hands .

Kirri

Sorry this should not be an either or situation

The older children certainly need to take part of the load away. And to be blunt, Lizzie should be passed over to another caring family to adopt if possible. They are all hot and heavy with getting their careers going without having the burden of paying rent and such, don't have to cook, don't have to clean house, or mow the lawn or shop for food.

I should be so lucky.

Well, tough, they need to take the load a bit. They can take turns picking up the young'uns from school, so should Simon when he is able. And they need to take more of the burden of big sistering also. It would not hurt them to do some of the food shopping also.

Frankly the children's self centeredness annoys me no end.

Even If

Sammi's picture

Even If Lizzie was given up for adoption Cathy would have to be part of her life as she is the trustee for Lizzie's inheritance.
And would that be fair to either little Cate or Lizzie as I'm sure they both see each other as sisters, not to mention everyone else's feelings for Lizzie.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Lizzie is still very young

Less than two and certainly no more than three if I am correct, so memories are pretty fuzzy at that age. Adoption is still plausible.

The road not taken ...

By Robert Frost

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

I didn't survive a marriage where there was this sort of choice. In the end it was her career over the family and I.

Keep palpating

Rhona McCloud's picture

Most of us know there are gene mutations that carry with them increased breast cancer risks. It isn't just breast cancer and it isn't just the cis gendered so please don't ignore your family history, learn to self examine and have regular mammograms as you get older.

Sorry to get Mumsy on you but having sat in the line for suspicious breast lumps I can say the relief from being told it is not cancer, and it probably isn't, is worth the time, expense and embarrassment of having to see a doctor.

Rhona McCloud

A very quick comment about

A very quick comment about Breast Cancer.
IF and this is an important IF; If your immediate female family members have or have had breast cancer, and have had to have surgery for one or both breast removal; then according to the Oncologist who performed the removal of both of my sister's breasts one year apart because of re-occurring breast cancer; and the fact my Mom had a Radical performed in 1968; she told me to inform EVERYONE in our family whether they were female or MALE; that they now had a 100% chance to get breast cancer. Following her lead, I did some research into males having breast cancer, and found these facts. A) it is rare, but it DOES happen, and b) the sad fact is that males are as a rule, are completely overlooked even by the medical community when it comes to this particular cancer.
Further, at least here in the U.S., you will rarely find ANY medical plan, whether private or under the so-called "Affordable Health Care Act" that will cover males or treatment if they are found with breast cancer. Don't know how it is with the National plans in GB, Australia, Germany, Canada, New Zealand, and so forth. Also mammograms CAN BE done on males, just takes a different way of doing it. So PLEASE be safe out there and BE GOOD to YOURSELF.
Janice Lynn

My first thought

was blue light. Phoebe has to know Cathy is a healer at this point I would think.

Then there is the thing between Danni and her coach, it isn't necessarily over I think.