The Lyssa Kordenay Missions - Book 13 - Roses and Butterflies

Printer-friendly version

 

RaB cover.png
Book 13 of The Lyssa Kordenay Missions!
  Its off to Paris for a runway show,
but strange things are going on around The City of Lights.

WARNING: The Lyssa Kordenay Missions may be
hyper-violent for some readers.

 

 


 

Roses and Butterflies

 

CHAPTER 1

Lyssa answered on the third ring running from the studio to the living room, "hello?"

"Lyssa," asked a very familiar voice.

"John? John Galiano," she asked.

"yes Lyssa so glad I got the right number, today has been...let's not talk about that. Lyssa I know this is very short notice but I really need you for a collection," John spoke quickly.

"How fast do you need me john,"Lyssa asked looking at the calendar.

"I need you to be on the next flight to paris from whereever you are," John said flatly.

"Good lord John! are you serious," Lyssa exclaimed.

John hesitated for a moment,"Lyssa you don't know?"

"Know what," she asked confused.

"It's Mirabella, she was killed last night in a car crash. I've been trying to find a replacement all day that is close to her size. Please tell me you can come Lyssa,"he pleaded.

Lyssa had already started checking the airlines, "John there is a flight that will arrive in paris at 6 a.m. local. if i hurry I can be on it," she answered.

"Yes yes, please save the information and I will personally reimburse your tickets. see you in the morning," he exclaimed.

Lyssa disconnected, she had 4 hours til the flight left. Strange though, it was too late for the summer show and too early for the fall/winter collection. Lyssa had only walked the spring/summer, fall/winter shows and knew the schedules. This show was out of the blue for her. She hurried through a shower then styled her hair, made-up, dressed and packed. Lyssa had Andrea from her restaraunt to the airport. In the First Class lounge she had a salad and called Rodrick. He didn't answer, not surprising.

 

Rodrick was flying his C-130. They were super-reliable but the noise was the one thing that had never been fixed. She called his service and left a brief message including her Paris number. After disconnecting she switched the phone from the Caribean number to the Parisian. Twenty minutes later Lyssa was taking her seat in the First Class section. In Miami she caught the connecting flight to Paris via New York and London. Taking off from New york she took off her make-up and fell asleep quickly, which was odd.

As of late going to bed alone usually led to restlessness for some time. The attendant woke her up just before London. Lyssa went to the lavatory and rinsed her face with a mix of juice from cucumber and some strawberries mixed with a little champagne followed by ice water then put on fresh make-up back at her seat. Both flight attendants asked for Lyssa's trick after seeing its effects and she was happy to share. Clearing customs took no time at all as most were leaving not arriving. A driver stood on the other side holding a sign with her name. Lyssa rolled her eyes, John must be beside himself waiting for her to get to the studio.

~o~O~o~

Rodrick touched the C-130 down on the old jungle runway in thailand. All over the world there were such runways used by arms and drug smugglers. Rodrick had many himself but had to use this one as it was closer to where the team wanted to go. a joint task force of CIA,DEA, Interpol, MI-5 and AFP, the Australian Federal Police started unloading from the plane in two jeeps.

The task force had been formed due to the resurgence of heroin originating out of the Golden Triangle again. Opium, and its resulting heroin, had been majorly produced in the 50's to the late 90's when Afghanistan began exporting in bulk followed by latin america. Since the numerous operations to crack down in those areas suppliers had once again looked to border area of Myanmar, Laos and Thailand; The Golden Triangle.

 

That area had many problems. There was the environment itself, deep triple canopy rainforest filled with the usual assortment of venomous reptiles and insects. There was also the occassional predatory cat. Leftover undisposed bombs, landmines and anti-personnel booby-traps from three major conflicts along with numerous unpublicized ones were scattered everywhere still.

If all that wasn't problem enough, there were also bandits that roamed preying on small villages. Some of those were fifth or sixth generation vietcong fighting enemies long since gone. All of that had to be dealt with and then finally, if you were lucky to find them, an operation would be able to engage the opium producer's forces.

 

One jeep pulled a trailer. He watched them unload then make their way into the jungle on an overgrown road. It wasn't his airstrip so he couldn't refuel. a quick hop down to Phuket would sort that out. Rodrick would overfly the task force's site every two weeks for a supply drop, they would be on station for three months.

~o~O~o~

They took off and were touching down in Phuket in less than two hours. While the plane was refueled, the crew grabbed some local food so he called his service. there was three messages including Lyssa letting him know she was in paris for a show and her number there. That sounded very tempting, he'd never seen a runway show before. If you didn't count the victoria's secret show on tv, and he didn't, not since he'd met Lyssa almost a year ago. he really didn't count it since they'd started pretty much living together a month and a half ago.

His place in the Bahamas wasn't much compared to her house in Grand Cayman. he had to laugh at himself, how quickly he forgot she was more than a model, more than a ballerina. Ironically the woman was an Operator. She looked to have all the training of Special Forces A-team in one person and augmented with the counter-insurgency training of a Delta Force trooper. If that wasn't enough to make her impressive, throw in espionage and assassination tradecraft too.

It'd been a long time since Rodrick had been to Paris. The crew showed up just as he was finishing pre-flight. He told them the plan, they were for it since neither had been to Paris before. He filed the flight plan and they were in the air after a five minute wait. They refueled in India followed by Dhubai, Turkey and Italy then flew up to France.

Rodrick had napped on the plane which was strange. Strange that he could fall asleep quickly and not be fitful on the plane. He had tried to sleep at his place next to the hangar. He'd tossed and turned for over an hour then slept for only a few hours and was up again, in a bad mood. The flight crew were noticing it as well; the longer he was away from her the grumpier he got. Rodrick would ask if she was the same but there was nobody to ask. One thing though, she'd probably give him that self-satisfied sleepy look and purr then say yes. The problem was he couldn't decide if that was good or bad.

~o~O~o~

Mara worked the dial of the safe and heard another click through the hypersensitive headset then slowly spun the dial the opposite direction to catch the next disc then turn it until she heard the next click. Two more times for a total of five then she heard the snap of the pins. A quick turn of the handle and the door opened. She reset the the combination then locked it and started over.

She cracked the safe repeatedly until she had her time down to ten minutes. Pleased, she thought to herself the vault would be no problem, only the station occupants would pose a threat. For that she had the team; Reese for electronics, Antonov for surveillance, Gal and Miki were the weapons crew and Cyrille would drive them anywhere and everywhere they needed to be. They would only have half an hour to get in, open the vault, retreive the files and then get out. The files would fetch quite a price. they would start in twelve hours. first they needed to put things in motion. Starting at the british and american embassies.

Cyrile drove them to the British embassy first. In twenty minutes they had one of the alarm lines and made it trip. The fire alarms sounded and people filed out onto the lawn. By the time the fire department arrived it had been determined to be a false alarm. A jewelry store was next and then a bank. Finally the american embassy.

It took an hour to get into their lines but instead of the fire alarms they set off the carbon monoxide alarms. Not what they wanted but it would do. Making the sytems questionable was the goal. In four hours they'd make the circuit of locations again adding the interpol substation. then again in another four hours. She chuckled to herself watching the people hurry out, some even stumbling down the steps. everyone seemed slightly frightened or highly agitated.

Everyone except a blonde talking on her phone. Mara looked closer, phone blonde wore an aqua colored dress that moved with the breeze too much as she walked on a pair of high heeled sandals. A man in a suit carrying a book or something similar approached her. She showed something and the man wrote in the book and then she wrote as well. An american visitor, she was checking in. Not many tourists did that so she must be in for business. From the way she was dressed and seemed non-plussed Mara figured she must be a model.

Mara sneered then stopped. The woman did something strange. She was taking off her shoes and walking onto the grass. Several people were watching her and clapping. Mara understood now watching as the blonde danced on the lawn. She was a ballet dancer. A few moments of dancing then a sweeping curtsey. Ballerina or model, all the same to Mara. A woman with more looks than brains and probably some rich man's pet. The blonde would be perfect for a ransom if she didn't have something going on already. Perhaps there would be opportunity afterward.

 
 

CHAPTER 2

Dannigan's bedside phone rang three times before he answered it sleepily,"This better be good."

"I woke you up.....that's so cool," a feminine voice giggled.

"Lyssa," he grumbled and was answered with another giggle.

"Kordenay its the middle of the night. Where the hell are you to be sounding so chipper," He growled.

"Paris. The Embassy. They have a problem," she commented.

"Its an Embassy Lyssa. Problems are inherent. I blame it on the state department," Dannigan grumped.

"Not this problem...carbon monoxide alarms went off all over the building," Lyssa said.

"Ok, so use your incredible talents as the highly trained specialist you are and tell them to open the windows for a while," he said sarcastically.

"They don't have carbon monoxide sensors according to the DIA girl here," she replied," and the British Embassy had fire alarms go off. Outside the building."

"Outside the building? That makes no sense....even when talking about Embassies,"Dannigan commented.

"Should I look into it,"Lyssa asked.

"Tread carefully Lyssa, you know the assholes over at State hate Operators. Hell, if they had their way there'd be no CIA, FBI, DEA, DIA or DOD presence at all in the Embassies. They regard anytime those have been needed as a break-down of communication to be blamed on any of the agencies," He warned.

"I'll keep it quiet," Lyssa assured him.

Dannigan disconnected then looked at the clock and went back to sleep for a few more hours.

~o~O~o~

Lyssa sat on the edge of the fountain and fastened the ankle straps of her sandals after dancing for a couple of minutes on the lawn, at the request of the Cultural Attache. The Ambassador called it 'a charming diversion from the current electronic fiasco'. The local spies were entirely too easy to spot, standing around in separate groups talking in hushed tones and looking around at people then nodding or shaking their heads.

She'd checked in with the Embassy. Not something she did frequently but she'd come in on a commercial flight. It was highly encouraged that visitors on vacation or business check in with their Embassy on the day of their arrival and check out the day of departure. Not something she usually did. It gave a trail to follow. Models usually did it when on photo shoots in questionable countries. The problem with that was it actually made them very easy to target. She wouldn't have gone but the driver had been instructed to take her there by John Galiano then to a hotel after the studio.

As Lyssa walked out the gate she got an appraising look from the Marines on guard and rewarded them both with a smile. A cafe across the way looked very convenient. The patrons talking very animated and craning their necks to watch the excitement at the embassy, except two tables with five people. A woman and four men, the woman and one of the men watched intently while the other three men pointedly ignored everything going on.

 

Lyssa walked over to the cafe then ordered a bottle of juice. The woman looked at her a couple of times with some hostility in her eyes.

"Could you be anymore obvious," Lyssa muttered under her breath to herself, "Why don't they just wear matching t-shirts with 'Bad Guys' written on them."

Question was; what were they up to, making alarms that don't exist malfunction. Maybe that was the catch. She'd visit the Sir Geoffrey at British Embassy after meeting John. Lyssa got into the waiting car and rode to the Dior studio.

~o~O~o~

Silk, satin and lace was everywhere making lyssa smile, but all of it was in shades of white. Cream, bone, ivory as far as the eye could see. And flowers, lots of flowers. Specifically roses. Lyssa groaned inwardly as the puzzle fit together. The Dior wedding collection. She'd never bothered with bridal collections, others were more enthusiastic about it than she was.

Formals, business, casuals, swimwear, even lingerie were fine but never bridals. She'd pretty much avoided those all together. Too late, John spotted her.

"LYSSA," he called out and waved her over.

"JOHN! You could have told me it was the bridal collection. You know I don't do bridals. Maternity either," Lyssa said crossly.

"Lyssa, Lyssa...please! You are almost, if not the exact same size as Mirabella," he then whispered," I'll double your runway fee. Please, Mira was the primary model of the collection."

John walked over over to where four gowns hung on the forms. Lyssa caught a glimpse of some fabric behind them. It was very colorful, she had to look closer. It was a white chiffon with a print of butterflies in various colors.

"John.....make a dress for me. Overlain with this; strapless, a basque waistline and knee length hankerchief hem with the underskirt just above midthigh and double fee and I'll do it. But ONLY just this once john," Lyssa glared.

"Oh you are vicious Lyssa but for you yes and thank you,"he said as he hugged her,"now will you try these on,please?"

He guided her to a curtained area then brought the first gown to her.

"I want faux pearl buttons down the center front John...." she called out gently putting on the gown making him laugh.

~o~O~o~

It was early evening as the C-130 touched down at Charles De Gaulle international airport and taxied to the private apron. a Customs team were waiting to inspect the plane and process the crew. An hour later they rented cars and the crew proceeded to a hotel. Roderick called Lyssa to find out where she was, somebody else answered her phone but gave the address to some studio. He hurried over and went in. the receptionist offered a drink in the waiting area. He tried to look but all he saw was white material everywhere.

 

Two hours Lyssa finally came out,"They just told me you had called and were out here."

Rodrick hugged and kissed her just as John walked out.

"Oh? Who is this Lyssa,"he asked.

"John this is Rodrick Mason. Rod meet John Galiano. Lead Designer; House of Christian Dior,"Lyssa made the introductions.

"OH? Has the elusive Lyssa finally had her heart captured by this dashing man here,"John teased her.

After recieving a blush in response from her and chuckle from Rodrick himself.

"Ah its TRUE, he HAS," John exclaimed," you've done the IMPOSSIBLE! You have my congratulations!"

"I'm just a pilot," Rodrick chuckled shaking hands.

John signalled his assistant,"see to it Lyssa's gentleman has a pass for the show and on the list for the party."

"Party," Rodrick asked,"hope its casual."

"Not to worry. Jazelle will take care of you," John said pointing out a young woman.

Fifteen minutes later Rodrick had a tuxedo and two suits and they were on their way out.

"Hmmm excitement in the big city," Rodrick commented seeing people all but running out of a jewelry store across the street.

Lyssa asked a bystander what was happening and was told the fire alarm had gone off. It was the fourth time but no fire or even smoke. Lyssa slowly scanned the crowd until she found the familiar faces she thought might be there and wasn't disappointed. There they were.

"Ok what's up, you've got that 'I see a senator going for a dip in the secretarial pool again' look," Rodrick commented.

"See that bunch over there, four men and one woman,"she nodded.

"You mean the ones trying desparately to look like they're not up to anything; and failing at it," he asked snarkily.

Lyssa chuckled,"That's them."

Rodrick stood looking at them and asked,"so what you think, casing the place?"

"They were across the street from the U.S. embassy when alarms that don't exist went off,"She said,"word has it the British embassy has a false alarm too."

"Two Embassies and now a jewelry store. Sounds like they want the service unreliable,"Rodrick speculated.

"That would make sense, but the problem is why," Lyssa mused.

"Fucked if I know. What's the local spooks and mooks say," he asked.

"Didn't ask, but one of the secretaries said she'd be glad when the section chief change-overs were done," she answered.

"Well let's see where they go and what they do,"Rodrick offered opening the door of the rental car.

 
 

CHAPTER 3

Mara had Cyrille drive them back to the warehouse they were using for a staging area. All was going to plan. They would all sleep for three hours then repeat the circuit one more time then make their run on the real target. A quick stop for food then back to the warehouse. The crew thought the real run would be in the morning before dawn. Good; they would be relaxed until then. Everyone napped except Mara as she practiced the safe once more then took a nap.

Hours later she awoke them all and announced it would be a rehearsal and to bring everything. The van was loaded and they rolled out to cause their mayhem once more. they would start with the jewelry store this time.

~o~O~o~

Dannigan looked at the list that made no sense, the places that used the same service for their alarm system. Two embassies, one bank, four stores and an Interpol substation. Chatter intercepts revealed that the British and American Embassies where viewing these events as probes and increased security. A second hand store was ignoring it. The one store considered high risk had already called in guards from a different service, four false alarms in one day; they wanted somebody different. He started digging on Interpol to find out what was so special about the substation. This was going to take time. Hopefully Lyssa would come up with something. The Dior bridal show was pending so figuring out what she was doing there was a no-brainer.

Madison buzzed in,"Lyssa on line one."

He snatched up the phone,"Got something?"

She answered, "staging area in a warehouse. Looking at the planning boards, they've been hacking the service and setting off random alarms. Doesn't matter what, just as long as there's a response. Five places are marked."

"What are they," he asked.

"Both the Embassies as we knew already, a bank, what looks like a thrift shop, a jewelry store and an Interpol substation," she listed.

"Ok everybody you said has had problems. What else you got on location," Dannigan continued.

"Rodrick says there's a decent sized vault mock up, too small to be for a bank though," Lyssa repeated.

Dannigan chuckled," why am I not surprised he's with you."

"He said the flight crew was complaining about him being moody or something like that," Lyssa said casually,"I think he just wants to watch me do a runway show."

Rodrick could be heard distantly and Lyssa relayed,"hold on he found something."

She switched to speaker.

Rodrick announced,"I found some building plans."

"Which building Rod,"Dannigan asked.

"Interpol substation Paul. This bunch has some balls,"Rodrick commented.

"Ok, I have no idea why they'd want to go there. Go ahead and shut 'em down, but do it sneaky. Get 'em caught in the cookie jar,"Dannigan said.

They looked at each other."uh....ok," Lyssa said then disconnected.

 

Rodrick stood at the car and asked,"So how are we gonna do this? Impersonate James Bond and his chick?"

That got a laugh from Lyssa as she opened her travel bag and pulled up the false bottom.
"Too bad they didn't leave any weapons and ordinance behind," she commented.

"Hey I say we're lucky to find what we did," he replied.

"True. I have my battlesuit,boots, a MadDog Frequent Flyer, my Marauder and two Glocks,"Lyssa said.

She pulled out the form fitted black suit then took off her sandals and slipped out of her dress. Rodrick made a low appreciative noise.

"Time for that later hotrod,"She remarked pulling the suit on and zipping it then pulling on her boots and tied the top lacing tight.

Rodrick himself was already wearing black jeans so he simply changed his shirt to a black long sleeve. Lyssa assembled both the Glocks in minutes then loaded the three accompanying magazines each and passed to him one loaded pistol and two reloads keeping the other for herself.

"You know if you ever decided to go into the globe trotting terrorist business you'd be super scary,"He quipped.

"No way. I have to have weekends off. Boyfriend is a sexmaniac," she replied making Rodrick double over laughing.

He was still laughing as they got back into the car.

"You want the MadDog," she asked holding up the knife.

Like many of the new knives under the MadDog brand it had a core of ABS plastic and surrounded by carbon fiber honed razor sharp. He shook his head and pulled up his right pant leg to show his dive knife concealed inside his boot. They set up close to the Interpol substation.

~o~O~o~

Rodrick used Lyssa's combat paint to streak his face concealing his identity after she painted her unique pattern on herself.
Facial markings among regular troops were standard stripes or smudges but Operators like Special Forces, Delta troopers, SEALs and Force Recon Marines more often than not had a very unique pattern. A pattern that would be recognizable to teammates but no one else. Patterns so well practiced that they could be performed without benefit of mirrors or even light.

This was the third time Rodrick had seen Lyssa's pattern and he was beginning to appreciate the beautiful, yet deadly looking design. They waited for an hour and a half then saw the van finally arrive. Ten minutes later the group bypassed the lock on the door and went inside.

Rodrick slithered underneath the van. Using a multi-tool he disconnected the starter then crawled back out and gave Lyssa a thumbs up.

"So how we gonna do this," he asked.

"Let's keep it simple," Lyssa answered, "get the cops over here then instigate a cross-fire."

Rodrick nodded and followed Lyssa as she walked over to a bank. He chuckled as she picked up a sizable rock and hefted it at the door. It didn't break the laminate glass.

"Try again,"he chuckled at her.

"I'm not trying to break it dumbass, just make the alarms go off," Lyssa replied.

She hefted the rock at a window again with the same result then walked across the street and rattled the doors of a store very hard. Rodrick followed suit now understanding. They met back at the car.

 

"One of us needs to get this out of sight," Rodrick stated.

"Your rental, I nominate you to the office of valet parking......honey," Lyssa smirked.

"Oh that's mean," Rodrick chuckled then swatted Lyssa on her ass and got into the car.

He parked two blocks away then ran back. a siren could be heard in the distance.

~o~O~o~

Lyssa re-checked her Glock,"cops or robbers?"

Rodrick thumbed the safety off and answered," dealer's choice babe."

"You take the bad guys this time, can wing 'em if you want. we want 'em super mad," she replied.

A single police car approached. Lyssa crouched and triggered off three rounds pinging the car harmlessly, but definitely getting the officers inside to pay attention. One of the break-in crew looked outside then ducked back inside to dodge rodrick's bullets.

Rodrick yelled, "ARMED POLICE! SURRENDER NOW!"

Somebody fired out the door with an AK-47 spurring Rodrick to dive to the right. Lyssa shot twice more at the police car then moved low and fast through a section of shadow crossing the street. More sirens could be heard now.Somebody else poked their head out the door and the real police took shots at them. the door burst open and they fell over each other onto the sidewalk as a lone figure from behind them tried sneaking off to the side.

"Breakaway! Drive her back inside," Rodrick said quickly.

They both fired shots that ricocheted just left of the figure that retreated back. Ten police cars pulled in to join the shoot out as two AK-47's opened up. The woman tried moving again using the auto-fire for cover. Rodrick swung his aim to the van but held his fire when lyssa spoke out.

"Don't shoot the van, make them think it still runs," she instructed.

"Got it," Rodrick answered chasing the shooters with a couple of bullets.

Lyssa tapped his leg,"extract quietly," she said as she started moving into the alley.

Rodrick moved backward then stood up inside the alley. The team had started shooting at the police now who quickly returned fire. The woman could be heard screaming for someone to start the van and get them out of there. Lyssa and Rodrick both triggered off rounds going high into the van making those inside stay low.

"Grab your brass and let's go," Lyssa ordered as she picked up empty casings.

He did the same then started easing back deeper into the alley. They froze as the police officers passed the alley, one quickly playing the beam of his flashlight around then moving along as the rest concentrated on the van.

 
 

CHAPTER 4

Mara didn't understand. The van didn't work and somebody kept shooting first to keep them inside the substation then driving them to the van and now keeping them inside the van. How had things gone wrong so fast. Glass shattered and guns were pointed at them all. Gal and Miki nodded to each other. Mara watched as they raised their AK's and pulled the triggers shooting each other in the face. Doors were wrenched open, she and the two remaining men found themselves staring down numerous gun barrels. They did the only thing they could do, surrender. An interpol agent found the drive with the files on it in her bag and knew what it was instantly. she was done, prison forever for her.

~o~O~o~

Lyssa pulled make-up remover wipes from her bag and handed two to Rodrick and using two herself to wipe off the streaks of face paint then quickly stripping off the battlesuit and boots. Her dress went on as quickly as it had come off earlier followed by the sandals. She sat down and flipped down the vanity mirror of the visor and quickly put on some make-up. Rodrick started the car and casually drove away.

"Skip the hotel go north,"Lyssa said settling into the seat.

"What about dinner," he asked.

"Get Mcdonald's or I cook,"Lyssa asked.

"I take it you have a house here too," Rodrick ventured.

"Of course. Pull in here real quick," Lyssa replied then pointed to a brightly lit parking lot.

Rodrick pulled in and parked. Lyssa took her purse and went inside, she returned five minutes later with two bags.

"groceries, let's go," she announced.

 

Rodrick followed the directions as she gave them and soon found a driveway concealed by hedges. Minutes later Lyssa turned on the lights inside and came back out to get the food bags. Rodrick brought in the luggage. She rinsed cookware then started dinner. Rodrick returned and sat at the counter with both pistols.

"Cleaning kit," he asked.

She pointed to a drawer as she stirred something in a pan. He found the kit and started cleaning both Glocks.

"Ha...finished before dinner is ready," He exclaimed.

Lyssa came over and looked at the trigger assembly then handed it to him,"You suck."
"What? where," he asked looking then saw what she meant,"nevermind I see it."

A few minutes later he announced,"now I'm done."

Lyssa looked at both assemblies, the barrels, slides and handed the barrels back to him,"you suck less, keep at it."

Rodrick gave her the 'I am a professional not a recruit' look. She saw it but couldn't quail under it.

"Baby this is not an inspection for the brass, I need those guns absolutely spotless. The sniffers will pick up the scent of cordite if they aren't and I'm blown,"she said.

"Damn. I know better. Sorry. After dinner I'll reclean both," Rodrick said solemnly.

Dinner went by quickly then the cleaning up followed by the cleaning of weapons and clothing then to bed.

~o~O~o~

Two days later, bright sunlight streamed through the windows as soft romantic music played. The show's narrator spoke in english first then repeated her dialogue in french. Sporadic ooh's and aah's as the models walked the runway. Rodrick sat between a columnist for Japanese Vogue and the head of a modeling agency. It took him two seconds after walking in the door to figure out it was a bridal gown show.

Not exactly what he expected but as the first two models walked down the runway he understood the allure. Apparently a wedding day was every female's chance to be a princess. He did a double take and realized the fifth model was Lyssa. She looked beyond stunning in a gown that left no curve to the imagination, in fact he was mesmorized as she passed. She saw him sitting awestruck and smiled brilliantly.

Rodrick couldn't help be impressed as the show continued and the collection became more elaborate. Satins, silks, lace with embroidery, sparkling stones, ruffles and bows. roses were everywhere. that gave him an idea. he told an assistant what he was doing and disappeared. Lyssa walked the runway again but he was gone, probably to answer a call.
When Lyssa made her third walk he was back and smiling then his smile changed again. A smile that made any compliment backstage pale in comparison. It reminded her of when she danced once with a group of children from a local hospital in the front row. The look from one of those girls was as if looking at either an angel or a moving statue. Rodrick had that same expression.

As Lyssa walked the final time he wasn't in the seat again. He surprised her at the end of the runway as she turned in place then took her pose again. The surprise was the double bouquet of Fire and Ice roses. Lyssa leaned down and kissed him as the cameras flashed. John Galiano walked out then followed by the rest of the line-up straight to the end and shook Rodrick's hand and kissed Lyssa's hand.

~o~O~o~

At the party after the show John gave Lyssa a box but said very loudly that she was not allowed to open it until the next day. Many of the gossip columnists tried to get interviews or other sources of information about Lyssa and Rodrick. The questions were dodged and the comment made for the record was by John Galiano, remarking that they did look quite attractive together. Finally Lyssa saw an opportunity to make a stealthy exit and led Rodrick out. They laughed all the way back to her house.

~o~O~o~

Dannigan buzzed the intercom,"Where's Lyssa and Rodrick?"

Madison answered back immediately,"Paris, both of them."

"Send her a message for them to stay put," he said then started coordinating the military hops needed to get to Paris.

Twenty minutes was all it took for him to find the flights and print up the orders to be on them, if he was lucky he'd be there just as they were having breakfast. the first leg was Andrews airbase to Rammstein in Germany then a NATO hop to Charles de Gualle airport in Paris, early morning. A rental car got him to the house to which he knocked on the door. Rodrick answering the door wasn't surprising. The fact that he was naked was.

~o~O~o~

Rodrick groaned then let Dannigan in. The big spook followed his nose after the smell of coffee and found the kitchen. A couple of minutes later Lyssa in a negligee and Rodrick in a pair of shorts came into the kitchen. He'd never seen Lyssa like this before and couldn't resist the smile.

"One comment out of you and you'll wear that coffee Major," She warned him sleepily.

"I'm here on business. I've got a serious problem and only you and Mason can solve it. due to his recent.....travels," Dannigan stated regaining a serious look.

"My travels," Rodrick asked.

"Thailand. That task force has missed their second check in,"Dannigan answered.

"what task force,"Lyssa asked.

Dannigan showed her the file," International task force on narcotics. Opium trade in the Golden Triangle."

"Shit. Somebody got all nostalgic I guess," Lyssa commented.

"Get ready for jungle ops, at best a rescue. At worst a recovery," Dannigan pulled up the file on his laptop.

Lyssa and Rodrick went through the briefing packet with growing looks of alarm between them. Lyssa finished her coffee then left the room, minutes later the shower could be heard upstairs.

Dannigan handed Rodrick a page,"the gear is being delivered to your plane right now. Good luck Ramrod. And don't let anything happen to our Butterfly."

Rodrick nodded, not missing the use of his old call-sign then watched Dannigan leave. Butterfly he called her, interesting. Butterflies were delicate yet resilient. Able to migrate thousands of miles yet could be crippled with the single stroke of a finger across its wings. He suddenly remembered an old term: Iron Butterfly. It was the old term for when a tomboy grew out of that phase and became more feminine. Lyssa was indeed a butterfly. He'd seen both sides of her and couldn't resist either one. So a shower and off to Thailand. It was go time, once more.

Lyssa Kordenay returns in Butterflies in the Golden Triangle!!
up
535 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

How glad I am to see Lyssa

How glad I am to see Lyssa and Rodrick as a team now. They do complement each other quite well as each has their own set of very special skills to apply to whatever it is they are going to be doing.
Plus they interact well with each other and they will do their utmost and very best to keep each other out of harms way once engaged in a mission.
As the crooks discovered to their detriment, there is ALWAYS one or two others who are way more savvy, smart and expert than they.
The wedding gown sounded seriously beautiful and a true eye stopper; as I am sure Lyssa's new requested gown will be as well when it is completed. Wonder if she will wear it for her own wedding; of which I am hoping will have a groom named Rodrick in it.
Janice

Lyssa's dress

Alecia Snowfall's picture

sorry to disappoint Janice but it'll just be a dress, not a gown....her signature dress*wink*.
thanks for the comments and kudos!!!!!
hugs

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

I'm pretty sure I can guess what's in the box......

D. Eden's picture

And I bet it's gorgeous!

Iron Butterfly huh? With her ballet background up I would have expected a swan; interestingly enough, swans are one of the few animals that mate for life.

So, our pair are off to bungle in the jungle. Something I was lucky enough to miss; all the time sweating and training for jungle warfare, just to spend it all in the desert and mountains.

This continues to be a great story. I look forward to seeing much, much more.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

As the team in the jungles of

As the team in the jungles of SE Asia are re-learning , life nout there is miserable and just plain sux,, I went there one time on an op that lasted 4 days ... Then we went to the jungles of south America, wasn't too much difference. Darn good episode there Snow I await the next one
Big Papa

That was smart

Sabotage their getaway vehicle, set off a real alarm, then when the police turn up, initiate a brief firefight between the cops and robbers. Long prison term aside, I think Mara's going to be scarred by that suicide pact immediately in front of her...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!