The Platinum Chef : A Tale of Delacroix Part XXX

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 88

Everyone agreed to meet at Daily Grind that morning. Heather and Kim wanting to hear about everyone’s night once they left the prom.

Gilda’s newest experiment; the Borgia, sat in Kim’s hands.

“How is that?” Beth asked.

“Really good, There’s an orange in here. Like a whole orange slice, but it tastes like cocoa.” Kim looked into the cup as she lifted the lid. “Bet there’s enough caffeine to kill a small elephant in there.” She sipped again. “Goes great in the morning. OJ and coffee in one cup.” She retightened the lid and surveyed the table. “What did you all do last night?”

Amber laughed. “We went up to the plateaus just out of town. Had some pate and cheese.” She lowered her voice. “Some wine.”

“He’s nice. What an interesting boy. Nothing about him seems to fit. And he likes it that way.”

“Well, he sure likes you.”

“I’m just gonna have to thank Tim. It was like he was discovering it with me. I liked the olives.” She giggled, pushing up her glasses.

Beth spoke up. “Steve and I went to see Annie Get Your Gun. It was so cool, after dinner we went to see the play at the college. Heather, you’re gonna have fun taking that over, their setup is much bigger.

“I dunno.” Heather said sipping her Caramel Macchiato. “I might skip college.”

Kim spluttered. “What? I thought that all you wanted to do…”

“Was design clothes.” Heather cut in. “And I am. Remember, I see your Instagram, too. There’s a lot of ‘where did you buy that?’ I think that if you told them, I might get some cash back out of it.

“Yeah, making this stuff is nothing to you.”

Beth’s head snapped up. “Oh, my god.”

“What?”

“Heather, do it. But you have to call it Sweet Nothings.”

The table erupted in laughter.

Heather’s face dropped. “How did I not think of that?”

Amber pulled out her card. “My round. Anyone want anything?”

 ***

Bobbie woke gently to the sound of the knock of the door, her eyes opened to the sight of Tim. Jeans on, feet covered in socks.

“Thanks.” He whispered and wheeled in the tray. Slipping a five dollar bill to the visitor, Tim closed the door and traversed the narrow corridor. He noticed Bobbie’s eyes open. The smile looked painted on.

“Morning, babe.” Tim rolled the cart over and poured her a cup from the French press.

“Thought you’d be hungry.” Tim helped himself to the carafe of Orange juice and pulled the cloches from all of the plates.

But one.

Chicken Fried Steak, French toast, hash browns, and eggs over medium. A plate of biscuits and cream gravy sat to the side. Bobbie looked at it all. How much did this all cost?

He leaned in and gingerly kissed her, light tongue being a rest after the intense bouts of lovemaking. Tim drained his glass of orange juice in a single gulp. Tim handed her the extra t-shirt he had brought in the hopes that the previous night had gone as well as he had planned.

“There’s a lot of food here.”

“Well, of course.” Tim said, cutting into the breading of the steak. Bobbie helped herself to a biscuit and some of the gravy laden with sausage chunks. She savored the scent of sage and applewood, buttermilk and…

“What’s under that one?”

“Mmmm.” Tim said, setting down his fork. The last cloche came up.

It was a cinnamon roll and a croissant. Filled with Nutella and…

Bobbie gasped. “ours.” It was a whimper.

“Tuesdays and Thursdays.” Tim reminded her “They’re a major contract. The executive chef heard about this group of crazy kids opening a bakery. When the Grand Opening happened…”

Bobbie finally started with the biscuit and gravy, for a moment she was transported to eating at Lenny’s as a boy with Jeff. Weird how these things keep coming up.

“They wanted an order right away. They’re not too big, mom thought we could handle it.”

Bobbie was stunned. They really had done it.

“Eat up, big day. Drop Bears await.” Tim was into the potatoes and eggs, he dipped a biscuit in the gravy and smiled at Bobbie.

Her face remained starry eyed.

Tim swallowed some of the coffee. “God, this is good coffee. I sprung for the stuff they get from Alaska.”

“Don’t tell Gilda.”

Bobbie chuckled and refilled her cup. It was indeed good coffee.

Tim was looking Bobbie with a love in his eyes that dwarfed anything she had seen before. She saw him clearly for the first time. No darkness, no anxiety.

“The most wonderful girl in the world is going out today.”

“Aww.” Bobbie said.

Tim’s face fell. “I meant me.”

Coffee nearly went through Bobbie’s nose. Tim laughed, too. Once he had the tv on, there was an old movie playing about drunk people solving a murder. They settled into a comfortable position once the dishes were cleared away

“Wow, We should totally do that for Halloween.”

“Over Khadaji and Juete?”

 ***

Mary woke not knowing how long she was out.

“Mary, you’re awake.” Roxx said.

She jumped and scooted back, suddenly fearful as she remembered the previous night’s failed attack.

“Don’t worry. I know what that stuff is like.” She offered Mary a cigarette and a coke.

“Shouldn’t affect you anymore.”

Mary felt her cigarette light and looked at her hands. Her fingers were a little different somehow. Must still be coming down.

She did feel a little weird, warmer.

“Why did….?”

Roxx shushed her. “I told you. Didn’t want you to get hurt. I seem to be in a good place now, but it could have easily gone the other way. Turning her arm over, there was…

A tattoo? Was I that fucked up?

And, great. It was one of those tattoos of Asian letters, she had no idea what it meant.

Probably means Orange Chicken.

“It wasn’t personal.”

Mary inhaled hard. “Felt personal.” She muttered.

“But, I’m here now.” Roxx said with finality and Mary suddenly got quiet.

“Welcome home.” Roxx hugged her with a smile that was anything but warm.

“There’s some clothes in the bathroom. You should shower.”

Mary got up somnolently and did as bid.

Roxx looked at the colors that she had rearranged, it looked a little clumsy. But it seemed to work.

Mary’s scream from the bathroom told her that she had noticed the rest of the changes.

 ***

Mary stared at the mirror. Her hair wasn’t blonde anymore. It was now a light red, reaching just past her bra strap. Her eyes had shifted some and her skin darkened. Studying the color of her eyes, they were a marbled purple and green.

Her body was sexy.

“That’s not me…”

Roxx was standing at the door.

“Of course it’s you.”

“I made you better.”

Fear rose and rose, but was forgotten when Roxx touched her.

Mary abruptly needed to take a shower. Roxx, she’s always right.

 ***

They checked out of the room and called a cab to get them back to the bakery. Both were still basking in the memory of prom. The building looked different today, full of promise. Tim opened the door and allowed Bobbie to pass.

When they saw that the apartment upstairs was empty, they sat on his bed holding hands. They sat for a long time regarding each other. There was an almost palpable closeness. Nothing moved as they both just shut the fuck up and comfortably enjoyed the silence.

Tim eventually broke the fragile soundlessness. “Well, we better motor if we wanna make that showing.”

“Not yet.” Bobbie moved closer, listened to his heart beat.

The kissing began as they fell on the bed. They could miss the first show.

Some things were more important. Holding onto as much of this feeling as possible was the only thing that mattered. They were more gentle this time, the pent up arousal burned off by last night’s exertions.

Both Bobbie and Tim relished the closeness, the joy of each other’s tender touch and soft lips.

Neither of them noticed the passage of time as they spent an unknowable span tangled up in the one they loved.

 ***

When Heather opened the door, she was surprised to see her mother and Myka on the couch, passed out cold.

“Mom.” Heather shook Betty.

“Hmmm… Oh, hi. What time is it?” Betty squinted against the too bright room.

“It’s like ten.”

Kim was waking Myka.

“Ms. Flaherty.” Myka sat bolt upright, disoriented.

“Did you two have a good time?”

Kim looked at Heather and took her hand.

“Yeah, we did..” Both girls were smiling wide, full of caffeine and elation.

“Where’s everyone else?” Myka asked.

“Dunno.” Kim said. “Haven’t seen Bobbie and Tim yet, probably still in the hotel room. Those two are probably tired.”

Heather hit Kim gently with the clasped hand.

“I need a shower.” Kim said.

“Go ahead and take one here. I know Heather’s got clothes here.”

Kim looked on in mock shock. “Really? I think she has clothes for everybody here.”

Myka laughed.

Heather pulled on her evil look and looked at Kim over sunglasses that weren’t there.

“I’ll put something together.” Kim looked down to her vibrating phone. Studying the message, she turned to Heather.

“And there’s the happy couple. God, those two are gonna give me diabetes.”

“And I need to stop eating their sweets.”

Heather and Betty laughed while Myka turned a little red.

“Looks like they’re going to a movie.”

“Figures.”

Myka laughed. “Movies are important to him.”

“The second most important thing.”

 ***

Instead of waking normally, Rach had a fresh stick of clay in her hands with thoughts of sculpture rather than coffee, she watched Faye sleep. The clay between her hands was calling to her, begging her to do something. It had warmed some, making it more malleable. She looked down.

Blue? It had been grey when she started, again. Then she saw it, the shape.

It needed to be freed. Molding it into a mostly oblong lump, she started to press her fingers into it. What’s this one gonna be?

Or, more appropriately, who? The shape in her mind was vaguely human.

When Faye finally woke, her face was obscured by the curtain of hair that covered her face while she slept. Rach wondered how long it would be before the original Faye, her Faye, returned.

“Well, good morning sunshine.” Rach said, still absently working with the clay.

“Mmmm.” Faye stretched out her arms. “Come back to bed.”

“Can’t sleep.” Rach said quickly.

“Who said anything about sleeping?”

Rach stopped working the clay and set the lump down. The shape was more humanlike than when she’d started.

“Gotta take one for the team, I guess.”

Rach shed the bra she’d put on earlier and approached the bed.

 ***

“What the fuck is that?”  The leaves in the tree rustled as the furball dropped, becoming teeth and claws. The ear came cleanly off, followed by a clump of hair. The rest of the crowd scattered screaming.

Blood, a severed finger…

“Run!” A voice snapped over the din.

Bobbie’s hand was tight within Tim’s, his arm around her. The young couple sat in the darkened theater. They sat with a palpable glow of joy, tanning each other as they basked in each other’s company.

They watched as the dreaded drop bears chew their way through the Pacific Northwest, the lack of Eucalyptus had made these particular drop bears so vicious. They were far from home, alone. Cut off from everything they knew.

And suffering one hell of a hangover. Finally, Bobbie thought.

A monster I can identify with.

When the last of the furry menaces had been dispatched, and the survivors had gotten away. The boat started to float down the Willamette into the indigo curtain of night.

Tim was a little pale when Bobbie led him outside.

“You okay?”

“Just a little bloody.” Tim quivered a little.

“When did you get squeamish? When we watched Braindead…”

“Brain…? Oh, Dead Alive… hehe.”

“I kick ass for the lord.” Tim laughed. “I dunno, weird.”

Tim’s darkness evaporated with a few minutes in the sun. Slice of PI’s BBQ Chicken Pizza rounded out the afternoon. The crust sat on the elevated plate. Bobbie keeping a hand on the cracked red vinyl of the booth raised herself and moved over to the other side right next to Tim.

“You’re far too sweet sometimes. Just glad you were around to deliver me from…”

Tim’s face paled again, the pizza slice in his hand forgetten.

“What?” Bobbie started to panic. Is he choking?

He swallowed. “Delivery. How are we gonna get a cake that big to the school?”

Bobbie looked at an imaginary watch. “Eighteen hours. Looks like Heather wins the pool.”

Tim raised an eyebrow as the color returned to his face.

“How long it would be before you thought about work.” Bobbie grinned.

Well, she’s an Advocate, too. Bobbie though of Rach and how maybe this was a good way to show her the proverbial ropes.

“Don’t worry about the cake for a minute…”

Tim saw something. He squinted, “You already have something figured out.”

In reply, Bobbie lifted her glass and daintily sipped from the straw.

He laughed. “You’re incredible.”

“No,” Bobbie said, setting the glass down.

“I’m better than that.”

 ***

Rach came back into the bedroom toweling off her hair. She was still surprised that the towel didn’t bear a resemblance to something Smurfette would use.

“What’s this?” Faye asked, holding up the new lump of blue clay. White sheets  gleamed against her skin. “And why is there a spot there? Is that like your mark or something?”

“I dunno.” Rach said, seating herself next to the bed. “Last one fell apart.”

“Oh,” Faye drawled. “That sucks.”

“Out loud?” Rach asked, grinning ear to ear. Just being near Faye felt so good, like a low voltage passing through them.

“Well, c’mon. I should get home. I wanna change.” Faye got up and cast all modesty to the wind as she uncovered herself. Rach looked at the chiseled hind quarter and stared after Faye.

“There’s another party tonight.” Faye said looking for her clothes. Blonde hair flew one way, while a blue eye appeared over a slender shoulder like the break of day.

Rach gave a half smile and thought that another party could be a good thing.

“Maybe, I need to see Bobbie today.” Rach looked at the supple curves of her girlfriend.

“Please tell me it has something to do with chocolate.”

“Maybe.” Rach looked at the clay again. There was a spot on the knee on this one, identical to the gray she had started with.  The blue didn’t seem to make any sense, and these spots even less so. This spot was liver shaped, Rach looked at it and regarded her latest work. It was more human shaped than the last…

Maybe this one will even stay together.

Faye was dressed and still sexy in a disheveled way, Next year’s prom would be a little more special. They dressed and left the house, wondering what the rest of the day would be like. The blue  clay tucked into her bag and thrown into the black seat.

***

Tim was on the couch with Nick asking for a rematch. It didn’t end well for Tim.

When Bobbie came out of the shower, all freshened up from the vacation that she seemed to need a vacation from.

“Bobbie.” Nick said . “Please come over here and kick my ass. Sorry, Tim. I like winning and everything, but… ahhhh.” Bobbie could see that he was exasperated.

“Just give me a minute.” Bobbie said, stirring something and bringing it out to Nick. “Vietnamese Iced Coffee.” She explained as she sat next to Tim. “It’s alright, Nick. I know.”

“So, I was thinking since I was leaving tomorrow. We could do a big breakfast kind of thing. Maybe finally get you to try that chicken and waffles.” Bobbie smiled hopefully. Tim chuckled.

The crash of the door opening startled everyone as Faye made her grand entrance.

“The party is here.” Faye declared loudly.

“Hi, Faye.” Nick said, setting the controller down.

She bit her lip. “Hi, Nick.” It was a coquettish gesture. Rach bristled.

“Hey.” Bobbie’s smile continued unabated. “I was just telling everyone that I wanted to do a big breakfast thing with everyone. Y’know, since I’m leaving tomorrow and everything.”

Faye’s already wide eyes widened. “You’re leaving?”

“Well, yeah. Mom said I can come home. I’ve stayed here long enough.” She laughed. “I think I’ve ruined enough stuff around here.”

“Well,” Faye’s eyes drooped. “Can’t say I’m happy to see you go, but I’m okay watching you leave.”

“Did I get that one right, Tim?”

Tim looked at her oddly. “Face Off?”

Faye gleefully clapped. “Yay, I finally got one. I’m gonna jump in the shower. Ugh, I can still smell the sweat and that punch I spilled.” She sniffed at herself.

Faye kissed Rach briefly before breaking off and disappearing down the hallway.

“So how was your night?” Rach asked, looking at the enjoined hands of Bobbie and Tim.

“Was totes amazeballs.” Tim said, squeezing her hand. Bobbie looked at him oddly. Then she laughed.

“It was so romantic.” Bobbie looked like she was about to swoon. “It was…

“Like a movie?” Faye yelled back down the hall, ears acting wolfishly. “That’s what he does, Rach. You should go out with him once.” Rach looked down the hall to see Faye naked, towel over her shoulder.

“You’ll see.” The bathroom door swung shut.

Rach looked at Tim with her new eyes. She saw tiny dark shapes awash in a clear broth. There was nothing in him that looked anything other than content.

Hopefully I can do that for Faye.

“Oh, yeah. Rach.” Bobbie brightened.

“Wanna make some money?”

“Huh?”

“Don’t worry. It’s legal. C’mon. Nick. Kick his ass till I get back. Shouldn’t take long. Then…” She twiddled her thumbs in a controllerlike motion. “You’re mine.”

“Not making me feel better, Bobbie.” Nick smirked.

 ***

“This clay shit is getting on a nerve. Am I…?”

“Thought you liked sculpting.” Bobbie looked outside, an older woman stood outside with a cane. She waved at the two girls on the porch across the street.

“I do, what are you trying to say?”

Bobbie shrugged. “It’s always something that’s already part of you.”

Rach looked over at the old woman. It was reassuring to Read her. Being around Bobbie and Faye was different now that she couldn’t read them. It was like the upper hand she had been given over the rest of the human race didn’t apply here.

But… There, in the old woman’s darkness, around her knee was a shape. Rach had seen it before. She dug into her messenger bag and pulled out the blue statue thing.

Rach stared at it, then started walking across the street.

“Rach?” Bobbie asked. When she didn’t get an answer, she followed.

“Hi, Bobbie, friend of yours?” June laughed.

“Been meaning to tell you that was some fantastic Banana bread.”

“Thanks.” Bobbie ran through all her mental files, didn’t know her. She reasoned that Faye must have done something. That girl fits in no matter what she does.

June sipped her iced tea.

“How’s the knee?” Rach asked.

June looked at Bobbie quizzically. “How did she know that?”

“Know what?”

“My knee hasn’t been the same since the eighties, and with the ankle going out… Easier to just sit here and do my crossword.”

Rach went to hold out the statue, June went to reach out for it. She could see the same cavorting darknesses existing in both June and the clay figure. Bobbie watched as everything moved liquidly in slow motion.

June looked at the statue in wonder for a moment as fissures formed and the cracks began to run deeper, the blue color faded as the almost figure crumbled to dust.

“Ooh, dangit.” June laughed as she scratched at her knee.

CRACK!!

Both Rach and Bobbie winced as they heard the loud pop coming from June’s knee.

“That’s funny.” June stood and raised her left leg, testing the recently popped knee. “Almost like I never dislocated it.”

“Is it the blue hair? Come by sometime, we can take a look at my sink.” Bobbie and Rach turned to each other, confused. “We can blow it up together. That disposer burned out forever ago.”

Rach and Bobbie talked and laughed with June. Bobbie returning home for some of the chocolate cream cheese Danish she had been working on.

June seemed happier, her darkness and her knee being unexpected side effects of company. When her iced tea was gone and Rach had the nine letter word for Renaissance artist, June headed inside for a lazy afternoon nap. She forgot her cane outside and said her goodbyes with a wave and a yawn.

Walking back across the street Rach turned to Bobbie.

“So, that’s what it is? I… heal people?”

“I guess.” Bobbie shrugged. “That’s a little cooler than what I do.”

“Don’t get down on yourself. It’s okay. We just have to face facts.”

“I’m fantastic. So what’s this about money?”

“You have an SUV. We need a cake delivered. That’s it.”

“A cake?”

“Yeah.” Bobbie said. “It’s for the school. Just a quick ride.”

“Can’t wait till everyone sees it.”

Faye was in the living room again, this time sitting on Tim’s lap. Both Bobbie and Rach could feel the nerves. Even without seeing the darknesses it was easy to see his discomfort.

“Ahem… Faye.” Rach coughed. The winning grin turned and beamed through some of her hair.

“Oh, good. You’re back.”

“Yes, thanks. Finally I can get a match in.” Bobbie said.

“Oh, Nick, you’re just jealous. I could sit on your lap while you play against Bobbie.”

“Faye.” Rach scolded. “Now you’re just being mean.”

“Besides. Aren’t there parties for us to find?” Faye seemed bored by sitting in a living room playing games.

Faye rolled her eyes and pulled her phone from her cleavage. “There’s an App for that.”

Tim handed Bobbie the controller and announced his leaving.

“Lots of prep.” He explained. “Only a couple of weeks before that cake’s due.”

“Oh, yeah. Tim?” Rach said, scooting closer to Faye.

“I guess I’m the Cake Taxi?”

“Ah, blue hair. Should have figured it out.” He laughed.

“See you tonight.” Bobbie said, unleashing combo fury on Nick.

Chapter 88

Bobbie went a little crazy the following morning. There was more breakfast than anyone ever thought would exist. It was a madhouse. Bella and Amber, Beth and Steve. Kim and Heather, Faye, Bobbie, Nick, and probably some other people, it was hard to tell.

She had been up since 4am, prepping chicken and waffle batter. Biscuits and cream gravy, and a hash comprised of potatoes, vegetables and some of a left over pot roast she had salvaged from the freezer.

Bobbie knew it was still the high from the whole weekend. Prom, Tim, The hotel, dinner… She reflected on how all of the negative experiences she had endured in Faye’s body had come back around to make her feel this good.

Best. High. Ever.

Nick was far too confused by the cacophony of smells that assaulted him, Faye too.

When Tim and the rest of the crew had shuffled in, Bobbie was on the fourth pot of coffee when the chicken started coming out and the waffles flew out of the waffle maker.

Nick looked suspiciously at the combination of poultry and maple syrup.

“It’s good.” Rach assured him as she doused a biscuit in gravy.

The conversations melded into one around the living room while Bobbie watched everyone enjoy her cooking. She would miss the atmosphere here at Faye’s, even though most of the events that had occurred there had been turbulent…

They forged me. Bobbie looked at the assembled crowd. Nick giving approval to the mixture of waffles and fried chicken, Rach savoring a biscuit

Tim was laughing along with everyone. Faye was stealing bacon from Rach’s plate. Beth was keeping it simple with the hash and some toast, and Heather went for the sampler platter.

Little bits of everything. Bobbie noticed.Just like Heather.

It was hours before anyone could move.

Diagnosis: Food coma.

Bobbie and Nick were the only ones awake, Digital warriors fighting each other to a standstill.

“Gonna miss having you around.” Nick said.

“Gonna miss being here. I just really want my old room back.”

“Kick Faye onto the couch. Between that and the floor in there, she’ll be fine.”

“I heard that.” Faye said, eyes still closed.

Bobbie turned to the voice.

“There’s a floor in there?”

Everyone packed up and left casually, as if that moment called now stretched out like melted plastic into infinity.

A Schwartzchild Discontinuity…

You old geek. Bobbie smiled.

 ***

Sylvia could hardly contain her glee. Bobbie was coming back, it felt so good for her to bringing her home. Bobbie opened the door.

“You ready?” The smile between the two was shared, yet only meant for each other. Sylvia winced when she saw the black plastic bags that were filled with her things.

“Sure, come on in. There’s still breakfast left.”

“Ugh.” Faye said, resting a hand on her stomach. “How can you possibly think about food after all that?”

Bobbie threw a sarcastic grin back. “That’s my secret.”

“I’m always hungry.”

“I get that reference!” Rach said loudly.

Sylvia looked at Rach. “Blue hair catching?”

“We’ll see what happens with Kim now that patient zero is coming home.”

Sylvia met Nick and Rach. Both Nick and Faye lamented the loss of the cooking.

“I’m just down by DuPont Circle, not in the Dagobah System.” Bobbie waved a hand. “Besides, I know you can make most of the stuff I did.”

Nick helped Bobbie carry the bags out to Sylvia’s car. “I’m gonna really miss having you around. Now that you’re my only real competition. “

Bobbie regarded his darkness, the patterns and repeated logarithmic curves all but screamed ‘I WANT MY FRIEND BACK THE WAY SHE WAS’. Far too complex a thought to let out in words.

“I’m not giving up, Nick.” Bobbie dropped her bag and hugged Nick closely…sisterly.

“I know you won’t.” Nick’s siblingesque embrace warmed her in a different way. Deep in the subcockles of her heart.

“Gonna be coming back around anyway. I…” Bobbie let go and looked up. “I feel partially responsible. This is one debt I may never pay off.”

“But it won’t stop me from trying.”

Sylvia was coming out of the house, she waved to Rach and Faye.

“Thanks for taking care of her while I went overboard. I can tell you’re gonna miss her.”

“We’ll take her back anytime.” Nick smiled.

“Seeya, Nick.” Bobbie said, slapping at his arm. She got in the car.

Nick watched as they pulled away, becoming a tiny green speck before turning onto the next street.

 ***

Kim was in the Dhanurasana position when the rapping came at the door.

The door opened “Kim?” Bobbie was perplexed by the position her sister was in, and she couldn’t help but smile when she saw the Bettie Page poster in a place of honor on her wall. Wow, she had it framed.

“Ten more minutes. Then lemme sneak out for a cigarette.”

“You’re doing yoga, and you still smoke?”

“Only thing that keeps me from being straightedge.”

“I fucking hate labels.” She grunted.

Once Kim was done stretching, she helped Bobbie put her clothes away.

Bobbie noticed a smell, a faint odor of Robb. She closed her eyes against it, feeling the difference of now versus then on her skin, in her nose…

“Mom was in here for like two days cleaning everything. I think I caught her singing some old song…”

Kim’s voice went to an off key drone. “Shout… shout…. Let it all out..”

“That’s a great song.”

Kim laughed through her nose. “Not when she sings it. She’s consistently two bars behind or one ahead, it would be amazing if didn’t make Scooby’s head explode from here.” Two sisters shared a laugh in their bedroom.

Typical teenagers. The grin began to spread again as Bobbie looked over the room, she could see that the room was fresh. Sheets clean and all aired out. She sat on the bed and stretched out.

Almost as comforting as Tim’s arms, Bobbie’s bed. It had a stronger homecoming vibe than when she came home the first time. Still scared, frightened of what she had become.

Afraid that her life would become worse than before. All the trepidation of every minute step along the way, and being shown with unvarnished truth what stood in her way.

Her position in the all encompassing battle between need and want. Rach’s too, now.

The pillow felt soft beneath her head. She felt her body sink into the bed.

“Hey.” Kim snapped. “No falling asleep. You coming out with me?”

“Sure.” Bobbie stood slowly and studied her room.

Kim was walking along the sidewalk with Bobbie in tow. The Newport light was in the holder and lit with such practiced motions that Bobbie missed it.

“Don’t light that.” Bobbie said, drawing a strange look from her. The cigarette holder hung limply in surprise.

“This is bat country.”

The holder swung upwards as recognition dawned. Unexpectedly, Kim lurched forward and hugged her sister.

“Welcome home.” Kim squeezed. Hearing a weird movie reference again was everything she wanted to hear.

“Woah.” Bobbie accepted the hug.

“I love you, Bro.”

Kim looked up at Bobbie. “Sis.”

“That’s better.”

 ***

It’s okay. Mary thought. You don’t have to be her anymore, you can be someone else.

Better.

Someone people want.

The reddish tint to her hair was still a surprise. She felt better, skin wasn’t greasy anymore. Definitely felt cleaner. The air smelled a little sweeter, too. Those other people weren’t her friends, she saw that now.

Meth…. Maybe a couple times.

She shook her head and pulled the covers from her body. Her body hadn’t gone through a radical shift like her face had. The purple eyes were haunting, contrasting with the skin eerily. The waist was narrow, like corset narrow. The hips luscious while the stomach bloomed into what was easily a D cup, big difference from the B she was born with.

The itch on her tummy gave her pause when she scratched. Looking down, she noticed a tiny copper ring inset with a green jewel.

“Good morning, sunshine.” Roxx’s voice said.

“Feeling better?”

Mary smiled, she did; even better now than the other day. In fact, she felt so good…

She felt like dancing.

 ***

Bobbie was pulling the pan from the oven. Sylvia was fine with going out, but Bobbie wouldn’t hear of it.

A secret wish to be reacquainted with the kitchen. The familiar feel of the peeler’s rubber grip, the satisfying slice through meaty chicken breast.

The smell of flour and butter.

“That smells so good. Been a while since anything like that came out of there.” Sylvia was up and headed toward the table. When she got to the table, there was a small baking dish on a plate.

It was a pot pie.

“It’s not frozen. I saw you make all of this, no complaints here.”

Kim came down and looked at the table.

And laughed, laughed to the point where she nearly dislodged her hair flower.

“Too much. Only you can find a way to be a smartass with food.”

Crusts broken and creamy chicken goodness with fresh vegetables sated the hunger of everyone at the table.

“Damn, Bobbie. What is in there?”

Bobbie smiled. “Love.” She reached over and touched Sylvia’s hand. “Glad to be home.”

“Mom.”

***

The flick of the lighter echoed across the rooftops of the other houses nestled there in the quiet street leading to the cul-de-sacs of Delacroix Circle.

Kim inhaled and exhaled, studying the glowing end. “So, first night back.”

“How’s it feel?”

“Pretty good. Just worried that Roxx might come here.”

“Yeah.” Kim agreed. “She’s tapped into something dark. I don’t like it.”

“Then ask Lust. I mean, since you two are all buddy buddy.”

Kim tapped the ash away, “Fuck you.”

“I feed her just enough to keep her off my back. I keep myself busy, that yoga helps quite a bit really.” Kim took another drag. “And the ability to pick locks with the hairpins is pretty cool. I figure I learn to hotwire a car and I’m straight.”

“You? Straight? That’s a laugh.”

Kim wrinkled her face.

“So what? So I’m bi now.” Kim shrugged before dropping the cigarette. “Just makes it a little easier to get a date.”

Bobbie laughed.

“Can’t believe that this year is almost over.” Kim said, looking out across the nearly identical roofs of the cul-de-sacs.

“Me neither, feels like two years.” Kim pointed at Bobbie. “But you graduate.”

Bobbie’s excitement bubbled to the surface. “I know.”

“EEEE.”

Kim laughed. “No need to get all Timmi about it.”

“Still excited. I’m finishing something. Feels good.”

“Well, speaking of feeling good. I need to get to bed. School in the morning.” Her face fell as she delivered a deadpan “yay.”

Chapter 91

Tim was up at 2, mixing everything and assembling the simple wares that he could do without Bobbie or Beth’s artistry.

Glad they’re back tonight.

He had all the bread and pastry baked quickly, and by 730 he was on his way to pick up Bobbie. Tim couldn’t wait to feel her body against his on the Vespa. It’s been so long.

When he pulled up to her house, he was surprised to see Heather there.

“Oh, good you’re here.” Heather said from the driver’s seat. “Don’t have to do girlfriend patrol alone today.”

Tim chuckled. Bobbie came out of the house followed by Kim. Bobbie’s blue floral print dress hugged her curves perfectly while Kim’s orange sundress seemed to outshine the day, she was in Tim’s arms for a good morning kiss while Kim bent in through the driver’s side window. Once Kim was buckled into the seat, Heather rolled slowly back, the popping sound of rocks making the air crackle.

“Big day. Got the orders, been a couple of days. I already hurt from this morning.” Tim was adjusting the helmet strap, allowing Bobbie to board first. “I have been hurting since I got back. What all…?”

“Basketball.” Bobbie answered. “If someone calls you Kane… that was Faye.”

“Kane, huh?” Tim boarded and looked back.

“Better than Timmi.”

The morning was clear, the sun bright and the temperature temperate. Bobbie assumed the position and inhaled deeply. Tim’s scent was welcome like a long oppressed tribe finally tasting freedom.

Heather suddenly revved the engine at the stop sign, indicating that she wanted to race. Bobbie and Tim both looked over to see both girls sticking out their tongues as they peeled out, laying rubber through the intersection.

“Those two belong together.” Tim said.

The seat slid forward as Tim twisted the accelerator and headed to school. Back by 8, out by noon.

As he pulled up to the school,  he already lamented the lack of Bobbie on the bike on the way home. He couldn’t wait to pick her up. She really did mean everything to him. He couldn’t imagine life having any kind of balance without her…

Just as the Vespa felt out of balance without her taking up the back seat. Timmi may have been a memory, but that was part of the problem. Tangled fragments of those days of blondness still burned in his head with an odd affection. Trying on dresses with Faye. Dancing with Rach and Zoe…

Dancing.

Even if the general echo of it was kind of negative, being able to share a dance floor with Bobbie had been worth it.

Totes.

 ***

Mondays were often a dreary affair, but this Monday had everyone still abuzz from prom. Even Amber was bubblier than usual.

And it looks like she got that lip ring. Bobbie noticed. There was time before class to catch up. When Faye walked by with Rach, heads turned. Whether it was Faye’s mode of dress or Rachael’s bright blue hair, they couldn’t tell.

 ***

James Agee was a touch excited. That Valentine girl must be bipolar, he thought. At turns hard to get and catty.

She certainly seemed more pliable after last week. The first period bell rang.

One down, three to go.

There wasn’t a ham sandwich in his lunch today. In fact, he had forgotten what it was he had brought.

Probably be busy tutoring at lunch anyway. He laughed.

Fuck Concrete Blonde.

 ***

Rach had clay in her hands again, this time she was taking control of the process. It would be she that dictated what form she chose. If she had to guess; and according to Bobbie, she did. It looked like the little statues had some healing properties.

June’s knee had that spot in her colors and it matched the spot on the statue. It wasn’t much to go on.

But at least it was something.

The lump became one imbued with impossible curves. Maybe, just maybe, she could do something where Bobbie couldn’t. There would be time for more detail later, she reasoned as her thoughts turned back to World War I.

It would have been cool if Snoopy had taken down the Red Baron.

 ***

            Bobbie was surprised to see Rach in the bathroom with Kim. Seeing them across the room from each other, she was reminded of two alley cats. The air thick with an a tension that made hairs stand on end.

“Hey you two. What’s up?” Bobbie asked, hoping to dump a bucket of water on the room.

“Nothing.” Rach eyed Kim suspiciously.

“Just frustrated.” Rach pulled the blue lump out of her purse.

“Figured this out…” Rach looked at it. “I think.”

“These are supposed to be people. There’s usually a discoloration or something somewhere.”

“I think it heals people, makes them feel better. Something, still piecing it together.”

Kim laughed. “So you bake,” She pointed an unlit cigarette at Rach.

“You… sculpt?”

“I already do that.” Rach said, handing the small statue over.

“That woman that lives across from Faye…. Beth…” Bobbie cocked her head.

“She said that that scar was gone. But, I just thought it was that oil stuff she got.”

“You heal people?” Kim asked. “That’s pretty dope.”

“You two are like what? Batman and Robin now?”

Rach looked at Bobbie. “Not too sure this is a sidekick kind of operation.”

“I’m trying to see if I can use this to help with Faye. I need to try right?”

 ***

Faye found Rach about halfway through the lunch period.

“Where have you been?”

“Extra credit.” Faye  batted away imaginary insects.

Rach rankled, she knew what that meant. She retrieved the blue statue and put it on the table.

“Oh, wow.” Faye exclaimed. “Is that supposed to be me? That’s so cool.” She picked it up; examining it from every angle., she marvelled at the likeness.

It held together, reverting back to its original grey color slowly.

Rach’s heart sank a little. She couldn’t know what would happen, but the hope died in that moment. It was just a statue now. Sighing, Rach finished her sandwich.

She wanted to shake Faye until her tiny brain rattled around. Wanted to scream at the universe for dropping both of them in the middle of all this insanity. Fine, the statue thing didn’t work.

 But this Agee shit doesn’t have to continue.

I need a plan.

 ***

Bogdan and Yevgeniy were very surprised at the changes. They decided when they bought the place, they would keep the upper floor off limits. The explosion still fresh in the minds of the town’s residents.

Roxx had done away with that idea. There were private booths and a VIP room now.

Mikhail and Kostya led the gentlemen upstairs to the new booth. There was an obsidian tabletop surrounded by a purple velvetlike material. Roxx and Nikki greeted them and allowed them to sit.

The server, a stunning brunette brought out the bottle of vodka and several glasses. Once she set it on the table , she disappeared.

“Roxx.” Bogdan looked around. “How?”

Roxx smiled. “I called in some favors, I know people. This cost you nothing. Picked up some new suppliers. I’ve been busy.”

The conversation turned to rapid fire Russian that was way over Roxx’s head. Nikki was talking, more than she had ever seen. Only some words came through.

Krasny. Red.

Khorosho. Good.

Malchik.  Boy.

Sabaka. Dog.

She figured that he had told them that everything was running smoothly with her in charge. Conversation had turned to Nikki’s dogs.

The lights flashed red then green as the PA came to life.

“Welcome to tonight’s main attraction. Causing eruptions wherever she goes…”

“Here’s Rubi.”

Rubi: Mary thought it was a cute name. Went with the hair. She said. Bogdan and Yevgeniy stared after her. She could see the arousal, it was impressive for a couple of old men.

Every man in the club wished that they could have been that pole, the way she wrapped herself around it and slid up and down. Performing the most amazing climbs and drops, Rubi’s smile shone nearly as bright as the green jewel nestled in her navel.

“Nastrovya.” Rubi shouted to the upper level. Roxx smiled and waved.

“She’s new. Trying to keep new blood flowing. More people come out.” Roxx explained, she waved Rubi upstairs. “After we change the name of the club, no one will remember any of the history. People like this have short memories.”

“Nikki. Have Kostya bring up the money from the cistern.”

“Da.” Nikki said.

When she arrived,  Kostya was with her carrying an attaché case. When Bogdan opened the case, he smiled a sharklike grin.

Roxx knew she had them impressed. She would keep control until such time as something untoward happened. She was sure as shit she could keep things under control now….

…now that she had eyes everywhere in the club.

She sipped the vodka slowly. The older men drank theirs, laughing. Roxx had to join in as well.

It’s good to be king… no…

It’s good to be me.

 ***

Mary liked her new name, her new hair…

Her new life. It was just so much easier to do what Roxx said.

When she said ‘Dance’, she danced.

Everything was just so simple now, there was money. And she didn’t want to be high anymore.

And why would she, everything was all tingly now.

The tattoo on her back was new, but she loved it, too. All deep wine red and sexily exotic characters. She wondered what it meant.

When those old guys left Roxx smiled at her and told her it was time to dance again.

“Okay.” Rubi said, just happy to help.

 ***

“Okay guys. It looks like we have an uptick in orders.” Tim was flipping pages over in the clipboard.

“We have two wedding cakes for next month…”

“Next month?” Beth asked.

“Beth.” Tim looked up and laughed. “Get used to this. I have a feeling that after school’s out, this is gonna be full time. And, oh man, have I waited for this.

Tim pulled out some envelopes.

“Paychecks. For the whole time we’ve been open. Finally got it together. We’ll have a new computer set up soon, but here you go.”

Beth opened the envelope and saw the number and nearly fainted, Bobbie paled.

“No.” Bobbie said, handing it back. “I can’t.”

“Bullshit, Bobbie.” Tim said. “Hell, you deserve two of those checks.”

“We’re here for good. Need to pay the help, it’s not just fun and games anymore. Wedding cakes, the restaurants.”

“What restaurants?” Beth asked.

Tim threw his head back and sighed. He flipped over the order sheets and spread them out on the table.

“These are the restaurants that get bread from us.” He pointed to highlighted pink columns.

“These are the pastry orders.” A green one.

“And this is the sell through stuff.” One not highlighted at all.

Beth and Bobbie looked at the pink column and were amazed by the completeness of the list.

“This is almost everyone.”

“Yeah, and Funk Burger, that gastroburger place that’s opening? They want buns from us.”

“No way.” Beth said. “If we were that popular, than we should be like rich or some…”

Tim pointed to the checks.

“Aren’t we?”

 Chapter 89

The talk of finals week and Summer had reached a fever pitch as tank tops and shorts started to come out of the wardrobes and replace the light windbreakers and short sleeve shirts of Spring.

All Rach could think about was getting Agee busted. Sharing Faye a little was one thing, but with him?

Oh, hell no.

Cameras would help, so would being in the right place.

Maybe she should call Bobbie in for backup, If Faye was right, this was all her fault to begin with.

“Fuck it.” Rach swept hair over an ear and dialed her…partner, associate, fellow Advocate??

They were going to have to figure it out soon.

But first… Agee.

Rach started to feel as if she and Bobbie were the eleventh commandment.

Thou shalt not get away with it.

 ***

Bobbie had turned the chicken breasts over, assuring herself that the breading was crispy enough. She started to lay out the rest of the parts of the chicken sandwiches she was making that night.

Toasted roll, mayo, blue cheese, spinach and tomatoes.

Once the chicken was removed from the pan and drained, she tossed it in a sauce of her own creation. A mustard based wing sauce that would work with the pepper jack cheese that melted over the hot surface.

She had made five sandwiches, with the intent of taking three of them to the bakery that night. They had been busier than usual.

Sylvia came in the door with Kim just as Bobbie was leaving.

“Dinner’s in the oven. I’ve got to run. We’re getting crazy busy.”

“Okay. Tell Tim to come for dinner one night soon. I’d love to have some time with you.”

Bobbie saw that she still was struggling with throwing her out in the first place.

“Sure. How’s Saturday? Invite Roy and Beth.”

Sylvia smiled. “You know what? I will.”

When they heard the Vespa pull up, Bobbie ducked out of the house and off to another night of work.

 ***

“Ooh, it’s spicy.” Beth said.

“Yeah.” Bobbie winced. “May have overdone the chiles a little.”

“I think it’s amazing. The two cheeses just. Mmmm.” Tim bit again.

“Well.” Bobbie said, she set down the sandwich and wiped her mouth. “I think it’s time to start the actual figures. We’ve got till next Thursday. Rach will drive. We need to go through the plans again. Start making the sugar glass for the buildings. We made it to the end of the school year. Let’s give ‘em a cake they won’t forget. We’re going to take pictures, videos, everything.”

“It’s time to advertise.”

“Bella’s right. These are no mere baked goods. They’re made with love, a love other people can feel. Look at what’s happened to Delacroix, to us. We opened and the town almost immediately became a better place.”

“Was it just that things were going well for us? Or did we make a difference? I like to think we made a difference.”

Beth nodded, and Tim agreeably did the same.

“Now let’s finish up and get to work. There’s a lot to do. And we have finals coming up.”

“Oh, don’t worry. My grades are fine.” Beth said.

“Good, we can all talk about it at my house on Saturday. We’re having dinner.”

“Now let’s get to work.” Bobbie could see that she had inspired them.

Titans were greater than the gods.

“Damn, Bobbie.” Tim said, watching Beth move with grace and purpose.

“Denzel ain’t got shit on you.”

 ***

Rach had a plan. It was simple, which is what made her go with it.

Use the bathroom and be ready with the camera.

She didn’t need Bobbie for this. Pictures last forever.

Rach thought about the photo booth picture.

Forever.

 ***

Faye was fixing her makeup again while Agee talked about the final. She wasn’t worried, she was sure there was more than enough extra credit built up that she wouldn’t need another math class again next year.

Watching the clock became the only thing she was capable of, watching the seconds tick down to lunch.

When the bell finally rang, Faye kept her seat long enough for the other students to file out.

Blowjobs take maybe five minutes. Studying for a test takes hours.

Assuring himself that they were alone, Agee beckoned to Faye, who obediently rose to meet her teacher.

It was familiar. His pants down and Faye on her knees in front of him. He was getting hard just thinking about it.

The introduction of Faye’s tongue made him sigh appreciatively.  Faye was moving back and forth, teasing all the right places.

Agee felt it build and build. He was nearly there.

Goddamn, she’s so good. Maybe I should fail her anyway, would make next year seem…

CRASH!!

Clickclickclick.

“There you are.” Rach exclaimed, still snapping pictures.

Agee’s knees buckled as a large glob of semen issued forth, landing in splotches across Faye’s face.

“EEEE!” Faye screamed. It wasn’t the happy squeal that Timmi had pioneered, but one of surprise.

Rach had the phone in her pocket and Faye in her hand in seconds. Faye’s blonde hair trailed out behind them as Agee remained on the ground, staring after the door.

“Glad I could save you from that.” Rach said, offering her a paper towel to clean off the indiscretion.

“I hope I still get my A.” Faye scolded.

Geez, you’re welcome, Babe.

 ***

Bobbie was relaxing at home with Kim and Heather. She was glad of the lack of homework that the end of the year denoted. Studying wouldn’t be a problem, she had all the answers.

Maybe not all, but enough to pass for sure.

The knock at the door surprised everyone. When Bobbie opened it, she was surprised to see Rach.

“Think I can get your help?” Rach held up her phone.

Bobbie allowed Rach entrance and offered her a seat. “Help… it’s what we do.”

Rach smiled a half smile.

“What’s up?” Kim asked.

“Agee, that scumfucker.” Rach was waving the phone around. “But I got pictures this time. What can we do?”

“We can email them to the school?” Bobbie asked.

“So they can just boot him without everyone knowing?”

“Fuck that.” Kim said. “Caught him staring at my ass on Friday. I’m supposed to have his math class next year. That’s one job I won’t apply for.”

Rach tapped and swiped the pictures on the phone. Bobbie looked first. The picture giving her all kinds of unpleasant memories.

Agee’s cock caught in mid twitch, the glob of semen hanging in the air.

“Let me see.” Kim snatched the phone from Bobbie.

Kim’s face got hard, the ruby red lips becoming a straight gash across her face.

“Fucking… asshole.” Kim said. “Come on.” And with that, Queen Kim the Terrible bolted upstairs.

 ***

Heather had never seen Kim so angry, not even at the intervention when she was yelling to be let go.

“That motherfucker. I’ll fuckin…” Kim’s incoherent ramblings trailed off.

Heather could have sworn she heard the word sister in there, but that didn’t make any sense.

Soon there were way too many people in Kim’s room, huddled around her laptop. Plugging the phone into a USB slot, Kim had the pictures onto her desktop.

“Wish the subject matter was better.” Kim couldn’t get the edge of anger out of her voice. Heather rubbed at her shoulders soothingly.

There they were, the pictures. A shiver went up Bobbie’s spine, remembering how powerless she had felt…

…and how much she enjoyed it at the time.

“Kim?” Heather asked. “What’s wrong.”

Kim spun, the thin veil of anger gone completely. “Faye was there for Bobbie when everything went to shit. She helped me after I came home from the hospital.”

Her voice got low. “No one deserves this. But for her?”

“She’s in the Army. And we don’t leave anyone behind.”

“Right, Bobbie?”

Bobbie felt a steely determination build. “Yeah.”

“But what do we do about it?” Rach asked.

“First things first.” Kim said, sending her perfectly painted nails flying. “Gmail account. How about Iknowwhatyoudid17?”

Bobbie grinned. “Open another tab and try something.”

Kim looked back. Get his email address…”

“I think I know his password.”

Eyebrows raised all around. When Kim reached his log in screen, everyone was looking at Bobbie intently.

“Celeste.”

There was a cacophony of sound as everyone wanted to know how she could possibly have come by that information.

“His ex wife. He’s a bitter old fuck.” Bobbie said as the silence washed over the buzzing.

Kim tried the sequence of letters. “Success.”

“Now what?”

Bobbie stared into “Nothing for now. We know how to get in, we have evidence. Let’s hold off till he gets the grades turned in. No use forcing anything now. We just rotate in to get her out of there right when lunch starts, simple.” Bobbie looked out the window.

“And until then he just gets away with it?” Rach said.

“I think I have a plan, and you might just be the one to help me. Give me a ride to the bakery and I’ll explain on the way.”

 They left in a hurry, Bobbie calling Tim to tell him she was on the way.

Looking out the door after them, Heather asked Kim what she  wanted to do.

Kim let the Thrall come out through her smile. “I’m sure we can think of something.”

 ***

Rach finally like a part of the whole Advocate  thing. They had a mission.

“So,” Bobbie began. “We know how to get into his email. We don’t bust him, but we make him sweat.”

“And your statues? I’ve been thinking. What else can they heal?”

Rach turned, eyebrows becoming one.

“Just a thought. I mean, this is something new. I don’t know either.”

“Well, if Justice would just talk instead of sounding like a fortune cookie we could figure it out.”

“Maybe it’s just better if we figure it out on our own. She seems to like that.”

“Getting too old for this shit.” Rach grumbled.

Bobbie laughed. “Get used to it, we’ve only just begun. Nice reference.”

“What reference?” Rach asked.

 ***

            The orders had been filled, the proofer was empty while the bread was baking.

And Tim was holding Bobbie from behind, looking over her shoulder and studying the plans for the school cake.

“Nothing’s changed. The dry run you guys did worked fine. It’s just building the parts and actually making the cake right?”

“Hmmm?” Bobbie asked, still distracted with Agee.

“You okay?”

“Yeah. Just got stuff on my mind.”

“Faye?”

“Of course.”

Tim laughed and squeezed tighter. “You’ll handle it.”

Bobbie turned her attention to the cake plans and looked around.

“Beth leave?”

“I think we’re alone now.” Tim sang.

Bobbie laughed as she turned to accept a kiss; after all, there was still bread in the ovens.

They made out in the warm glow of the bakery while the timers ticked down.

The ding made them go back to work. Once all the cleanup and work had been finished, they headed up to Tim’s room for a different type of cooking.

 Chapter 90

Rach agreed to be the first to be at Agee’s class for lunch. She just walked in when the bell rang and led Faye out by a hand with the mass exodus of students.

“Don’t you just wanna kick him?” Rach asked.

“Why? I think that getting an A in math without doing math is a fair price.” Faye was touching up her lipstick as she walked.

Rach felt an annoyance build. Not her fault, remember that.

Finding Bobbie was the simple task it usually was, there with her friends at the same table.

“Hey, guys.” Bobbie said, directing attention to the newcomers. “How’d everything go?”

“Fine.” Rach said. “Got in and out, no problems.”

“I have tomorrow. Fuck that guy.” Kim said.

“I already did.” Faye said, her cute cluelessness making it sound so innocent.

“Just a couple of weeks to go.” Bobbie said.

“Man, I fuckin’ can’t wait till fuckin’ summer.” Bella said. “No more of this fuckin’ bullshit.”

“Amen to that.” Amber said.

Heather just sat and listened. Bobbie and Rach could see that the Faye situation wasn’t over yet, they just hoped that it would end without incident.

 ***

It was Friday and the weekend was upon them, Bobbie still finding her old rhythm as she got used to being home. The bakery was keeping up with the orders and taking orders for cakes as far as three months in advance. Beth and Steve were working together, making bread dough and cakes. Bobbie and Tim were busy with everything else.

“I’m glad we could hire him.”

“Yeah,” Bobbie said. “Now there’s a potential double date every time we leave.”

“Yeah.” Tim said. “Hey guys? Wanna head over to Slice of PI when we’re done?”

“Sure.” Steve said. “Unless you had something else in mind.”

“Just to be with you.” Beth said sweetly, crossing over to him for a hug. Steve smiled as he readjusted his apron and went back to filling the Eclairs.

“We’ve got the cake next week. We deserve a break.” Tim said, drying his hands.

“We’re gonna be so busy.” Beth said, smiling.

 ***

Rach was looking at her shelf; the blue statues had grown in number. There were several of them now, each looking better than the last. The three on the end of the shelf showed Faye in varying poses. The new one she was working on only looked like Faye in passing; she watched the face change even as she was molding it. The eyes were different, piercing.

Not one of the Faye statues had fallen apart when she touched it, and it was starting to get to her. Faye was still one of the most fun people to hang around with. But, she missed the brutal brusqueness and sweet sarcasm that seemed to flow from her mouth in an unending supply.

It was a small annoyance, but Rach continued to live with it.

All because I love you.

She still didn’t know exactly who this new statue was. The first one? The one riddled with discolorations sat on the left side. That was the one that bothered her. The grey marks usually showed what was wrong.

If this was a real person, then everything was wrong. Rach felt sorry for them.

Whoever they were.

The clay in her hands felt warm, Rach was still working on it long after she grew tired.

I wish I could just use them already, they’re starting to take up a lot of room. Gonna need another shelf if this keeps up.

The act of making these things seemed to be the best practice she had ever had, and this new one showed an incredible level of detail, save for one small difference.

This one hadn’t picked up the blue color that was becoming commonplace. It had remained the original earthy grey.

“Now, if only I could find out whom this is.”

Rach put the new statue down and went to bed, wishing that she could get rid of at least one of them.

Just like she had every night.

 ***

“Rach?” Bobbie asked. “What are?”

“Bobbie? Why are we…?”

The room looked bright and a little hazy. Looking around, both girls found what they were looking for.

Justice.

She was sitting on a cushion, smiling.

“Hello, nice to finally see you together.”

“Hi, Justice.”

“Bobbie.” Justice spread her arms, Bobbie entered the embrace.

“Rach.” She turned to face the other advocate with similarly outstretched arms.

Rach crossed her arms. “Not too sure how I feel about you yet.”

The smile persisted. “I understand.”

“Faye…” Bobbie started.

“Ever thinking of others.” Justice’s twin smile evaporated. “She is beyond anything I can do. Roxx did this. There is something about her, she is…”

“Different somehow. I cannot see her clearly anymore, and that troubles me greatly.”

“She’s up to something, and now she’s doing things I can’t explain.” Bobbie said, voice with sprinklings of concern. “Talked about studying. She’s not trying to…”

“I am afraid that must be the case. Learning to see as your ancestors did.”

Bobbie and Justice both frowned.

“No good can come of this.” Justice turned that gaze to Rach.

“This is why I came to you. What did those men say..?” Justice trailed off.

“One riot, one Ranger?”

“And what is up with these…” Rach looked down to see that the statues were all in front of her.

“They heal. Bodies and souls. Surely you have figured out as much?”

“Yeah.” Rach rolled her eyes. “That old lady…”

“June.” Bobbie said looking at the statue in its almost finished state.

“June’s knee popped…” She nodded from side to side. “Okay, but do they have to fall apart like that?” She lifted the one with that was still grey. “What’s up with this one anyway?”

“You find her, it will soon be apparent. Your sight corresponds with…”

“Yeah yeah, I get it.”

“Hey.” Bobbie snapped lightly. “You’re getting more of a tour on this than I did, on top getting used to panties… I…” She got a close look at the grey statue.

Roxx. “It’s Roxx.”

“Fair enough. Explains the grey, she’s fucked up everywhere.” Rach felt the weight of one less thing to figure out evaporate.

“Rach.” Justice said. “I do not choose lightly or often, you will do great things if you let them happen.”

“But, what about Faye?” Rach pleaded, she bent down and picked up the most detailed of her statues. It was flawless in its lines and pure in its color.

“I do not know, without being able to see Roxx I cannot tell.”

“So what?” Rach got louder, her voice harsher. “I just… just…”

“This can be remedied. Of that I have no doubt.”

“You better be right.” Rach pointed.

“She always is. It’s kind of maddening.” Bobbie said.

“Not helping.” Rach said.

“I trust that you can carry on now?”

Rach just crossed her arms again.

“You haven’t answered anything. These don’t work on Faye, how will they work on Roxx? How do I…”

But Justice was gone, and Bobbie was fading.

Dammit.

 ***

 Saturday morning saw Bobbie dressed in a pair of cutoff Daisy Dukes and a perfectly fitting t-shirt proclaiming “Made in the Goondocks.”  It was an unseasonably hot day, the mercury reaching the high 80s.

The temperature inside the bakery was even higher at first. The early morning’s baking done quickly and the door propped open.

“What’s wrong, Tim?” Bobbie asked.

“Nothing, just… those shorts.”

“I’m hot.”

“Yes, you are.” Tim agreed. “Keep dressing like that and I might forget Timmi. It’s getting easier.”

Bobbie came over and kissed Tim. “I like having you back.” She threw her arms around him.

“Young love.” Bobbie jumped with an ‘eek’ and turned to see Hudson and Hobson standing there. Coffee in hand.

“Hi, guys. Didn’t know you would be here today.” Hobson set the cup of coffee on the counter. “Would have brought two.”

“We’ll share.” Tim said. “What can I get you today?”

“Heard tell of an everything muffin?” Hudson asked, sipping his black coffee.

“Got it.” Bobbie grabbed a couple of the ‘Second Breakfast’ muffins. Loaded with fruit and flavor, she handed them over to the officers. “Take ‘em. You’re good today.”

“Thanks. And the other officers think we’re weird because we don’t eat donuts.”

Tim laughed and said his goodbyes. He attached himself to Bobbie again. “We need to send a box of muffins to the precinct or something. God, now I want the cops to come.”

Tim went to grab a ham croissant out of the case and…

Smack. Bobbie tapped his hand lightly. “Barbecue today, remember?”

“Forgot. Been…”

Bobbie deepened her voice. “So busy.”

“I know.”

“So, when’s the wedding?”

Bobbie and Tim turned to the two cops in unison.

“I swear.” Hobson said. “You two already sound married.”

 ***

The cooler was full of various sodas and pops, depending on which part of the country one was from. The smell of the hamburgers and hot dogs. Tim spatulaing with the best of them, perfectly crossed grill marks every time.

Ten and two.

Bobbie and Sylvia were cutting onions and peppers, tomatoes and lettuce.

Looking out the window, Sylvia spoke up. “It’s nice to have some life around here again. Since Jeff died, it’s just been so hard.”

Bobbie looked over at her mom. She could see through the swirling clouds of darkness. The storm had broken some since they had reunited, leaving the promise of clear skies ahead. “Kim having friends over. Having someone else graduating.” Bobbie felt a hip collide with hers, forcing a smile.

“This was how it was supposed to be.” Sylvia said. “Jeff and I.”

“He would have wanted you to live on. Look at Myka out there. It takes time, but we all move on. Tim, Kim, Even Faye and Nick. Stuff happens.” Bobbie felt odd, being in the position to dispense advice.

Sylvia shook her head. “You sound like my grandmother.”

Bobbie shrugged. “Peace through superior baked goods.”

A loud laugh issued forth. “C’mon.”

“Let’s get these things out there. We’re missing the party.”

Plates full of vegetables were set next to the condiments and chips. The table near the grill soon overflowed with food.

Roy and Sylvia sat together. Bobbie noticed that his darkness had also dissipated. Beth and Steve, Kim and Heather.

Bobbie and Tim.

Faye and Nick were there, and they almost looked like a couple. Faye was being absurdly silly towards him and Nick seemed like he just wanted to crawl into a hole and pull the hole in after himself.

Everyone’s where they should be.

Bobbie was spreading cream cheese on a toasted bun and crossing a couple of bacon slices. The malt vinegar aioli coated the heel of the bun and the beer soaked sriracha grilled onions sat atop them, awaiting the grilled cowflesh.

“Come on, guys. Grab some food. Nick?”

Nick looked up from his phone and Faye followed him closely. Too closely, Bobbie thought.

His darkness was the only curtain not open. He was troubled, haunted.

Faye had been using Nick for sex off and on, it was clear now. Bobbie remembered how devastated he was when she had done the same.

She genuinely felt for Nick; the things that were happening? None of them were his fault. Bobbie looked at them, wishing she knew what she could do.

With Justice unable to assist, and Rach obsessively sculpting Bobbie felt less relaxed than she wanted to. Nick’s darkness was the one spot in the afternoon that she could do nothing about.

Too bad it was the one thing at which she couldn’t stop looking.

 ***

Sylvia surveyed the barbecue scene at her home. It had been such a long time since it had been so vibrant with activity. She spied Bobbie laughing with her friends, Kim getting in on the joke.

It made her miss Robb, she never stopped thinking about him. It was almost as if Robb lived on in Bobbie somehow. Oh, they were almost nothing alike. So outgoing and happy. She had always envisioned having the kid’s friends over and the general chaos it invited. When it didn’t materialize in the wake of Jeff’s death, she’d felt a little cheated.

Better late than never. She reached over for Roy’s hand and clasped it in her own. And now there was this man, Roy. Sylvia had a sneaking suspicion that he was starting to occupy a special place in her heart. His awkward charm and Beth’s innocent demeanor just tugged at the string that made what was left of her maternal instinct leak out.

She had been seeing Roy for a while now, and she disliked the apartment he had. There was plenty of room. Beth could finish school in relative comfort. With Bobbie around and Kim…

…well, she wasn’t her old self exactly. Sylvia had to admit to liking the new direction, seeing her with Heather gave her the joy a parent has when they see a happy child. It was odd to see parts of her life once thought lost had come home to port. She bent in to kiss Roy.

“I’m glad I met you.” Roy said.

“That Bobbie. Look out there.” Sylvia pointed. “She brought us all together Even looks like Nick and Faye are getting together.” Faye was sitting on Nick’s lap, eating a hot dog.

Roy smiled, “Everything is as it should be, huh?”

“Yeah.” Sylvia nodded, agreeing.

“It sure is.”

 ***

Rach was still working on the details of the statue that day. The details calling to her in glorious technophonic sensurround. The ring of the bell broke her from her reverie. She was starving and thirsty, bathroom trip would be a good idea, too.

And there was Bobbie with a plate with a two hot dogs and a hamburger on it.

“You didn’t come.”

“Busy.” She said, salivating. “Come in.”

Bobbie was led into Rach’s room, it was a little cluttered, but not a total mess like Faye’s. There were statues all over the place, each different. Some staggering in their detail.

“Now I have all of these, and don’t know where they go. Damn, this is frustrating.”

Bobbie looked to the side table that held four identical statues.

All of Faye.

Rach bit into the burger. “I gave up on those. Won’t work.” Her mouth worked the burger around as she indicated the statues meant to bring Faye back to normal.

“What’s on this?”

“Grilled spicy onions, malt vinegar aioli, cream cheese and bacon.”

“Nice.” Rach continued to eat.

Bobbie looked at one of the statues. She knew that one, and the discolorations gave the rest of the enigma its solution.

“Carla Castillo.”

“Huh?” Rach said, licking cheese from a thumb.

“I know this one. She was bullying Beth back at the beginning of the year. I broke her nose.

Rach laughed, masticated beef showing for a second.

“Twice. Second time is how I met Tim.”

“That picnic is this week. We have the cake delivery. I bet more of these are from school.” Bobbie shrugged. “Worth a shot.”

Rach finished her burger and started on one of the hot dogs.

“Jeez, breathe a little.” Bobbie warned.

“Fuck it.” Rach said, starting on the second hot dog. “Starting to wish I could eat those statues.”

Bobbie had an idea. “C’mon. You’re coming with me to the bakery.”

 ***

The bakery was abuzz with activity. For the first time, Bobbie had checked the order column.

“Krakatoa?”

“Yeah.” Tim’s eyes widened. “These two sides of beef come in, flatter hair than mine and say ‘Roxx’ hand me an order and a check. I say ‘thanks’ and let them leave.

Bobbie stared at the order. It was a medium order with all high dollar items.

“Edible gold foil?” Bobbie said.

“That’s a thing?” Rach asked

“Yeah.” Tim nodded. “I found some, she covered it in the deposit. Looks like she looked this stuff up before she wrote the order. She’s starting to scare me.”

“Me, too.” Bobbie wanted to know what she was up to so badly.

Rach was starting to look angry.

“Beth. I got you some help for the figures; looks like she has some talent for this as well. Think you can show her what we need?”

“Sure. It’ll be cool to have help. C’mon, Rach. I bet we just tear right through all four hundred of these.”

“Four hundred?” Rach’s blue eyebrows crawled toward each other.

“Oh, they’re tiny.” Beth held out a thumb and forefinger.

“Easier to start now, I guess.”

The girls scampered off to the big Hobart that held Beth’s gumpaste mixture.

“We don’t have to take this order.” Bobbie said.

Tim let his winning grin show. “Yes, I do. What your baking here does for people? Besides.”

He grabbed at her hands. “We’re bigger than that. Maybe not those bodyguards of hers, but…” He kissed her.

 ***

Fireworks went off in Bobbie’s head. Cream cheese, lemon zest, blueberries. A slight sneer started to appear.

“I think that with an order that big there should be some kind of bonus.”

Tim knew better than to argue, letting her blur around the kitchen was something he couldn’t or wouldn’t stop. He hit the CD player and let the universe converge around his girlfriend.

Bobbie was a streak of silver and blue. Mixers were mixing and the fruit was being sliced in an amazing display of bladework. Tim was cracking eggs and measuring flour, he still couldn’t understand how on Earth she was such a machine in the kitchen. It was almost like she wasn’t there, operating on some higher plane. She had batters and frostings mixed, while Tim was moving things into and out of the oven.

Once the mad rush of baking and prepping was finished, Bobbie turned to her ‘special project’ She had two springform pans lined with the mixture required to make the graham cracker crust, they had been blind baked to allow the crust to harden while Bobbie made the filling.

The blueberry compote was mixed in with the cream cheese mixture and the bottom halves of the strawberries were pressed into the top and glazed. The music continued to play as the pans went into the hot oven.

Bobbie started the frosting and Tim getting the wrapping done. Beth and Rach made a fair amount of progress, the two girls laughing gently as they talked about what was their very obviously different stations in life. The finished figures were standing on a sheet pan, looking for all the world like the world’s smallest school was having a fire drill.

“Why are they blue?” Beth asked Rach, who shrugged.

“Still works… Blue and white.”

“Hey, you two. How’s it going?”

“Really fast.” Beth said while Rach put some features on a face with a toothpick.

“Yeah, these won’t take us long at all.” Rach said, looking up.

“Great. Let’s get everything put away while the last batches come out.”

“Cool.” Beth said as she began to gather her tools.

The bakery cleanup was quick, leaving only clean surfaces. Bobbie pulled the cheesecakes out and moved them to the walk-in.

“Fifteen minutes or so and it should be set.” Bobbie said, closing the door while the windows and fondant station were scrubbed. The music continued, and the friends made cleaning a simple hanging out with friends. Team Banzai.

When the cheesecake came out, Beth and Rach looked at the beautiful piece of sugared art that sat before them. Bobbie cut four pieces and put them on the paper plates.

Beth and Rach were the first ones to taste the confection.

“Mmmph...” Rach said, Beth echoed with a similar sound.

“This is so good. The crust… and the blueberry just pops….” Beth said between  bites. “What do you call this one?”

Bobbie smile dawned. “Gargamel’s Reward.”

Beth stopped eating mid bite, she looked down and could think of nothing but the tiny blue characters from her childhood. She grimaced.

“That’s a terrible name.”

Rach and Tim laughed, Beth started laughing as well. “We may have to keep this on through the summer, all the fresh berries? Be a crime to not use them.” Tim finished his piece and threw his plate away.

The rest of the business was easy to complete, and was done in short order. “Rach.” Bobbie said.

“Yeah.”

“You can take off.” She turned her head to Tim. “I’ve got a ride.”

Rach smirked. “Anything to be on the back of that thing with him, huh?”

Bobbie sighed. “Yeah.” She looked at Tim inside the walk in.

“It’s my favorite place.”

 ***

Rubi was trying to forget Mary as she ground herself against the middle aged man sitting on his hands. Roxx was always happy with the things she did to make the customers happy. When he grunted, spasmed and went still; Rubi knew that her job was done. Her signature cheek kiss meant that it was time for him to rise from the chair.

When they left the private room, Roxx was standing outside with another of the new girls.

Rubi could have sworn that she was prettier than she was yesterday. All the girls that wore the same navel ring with the inset green jewel had gotten prettier. Maybe it was the confidence of having Roxx trust you? She reflected.

But Rubi didn’t care about them. The way Roxx made her feel… like she was the only one she cared about.

“Good work, he’ll be back for sure.”

“Yeah, it was so easy to make him cum.” Rubi smiled. She used to not like boys… why was that?”

“A few more like you and I won’t ever have to worry about anything.” Roxx smiled as she placed a hand on Rubi’s shoulder.

Rubi quivered as the tingly sensation powered through her. She smiled blankly up at Roxx.

And a few more is what I shall have.

 ***

There was a quiet on the roof that night as Kim lit her last cigarette for the day. Her hair was wrapped in a turban while the Bettie Black dye soaked into every strand.

“This afternoon was cool. Did you see mom?”

Bobbie nodded. “I did. She was so happy, when’s the last time we saw her like that?”

Kim inhaled. “Before dad died.” She said quietly. “She likes Roy, you know.”

“And he likes her. I hope they wind up together. Be great for Beth, for both of them.”

Bobbie smirked. “With a bad influence like you as a sister?”

“Hey, I didn’t choose the Thrall life, the Thrall life chose me.”Kim laughed as she dropped the butt into the can. “Besides, you can balance me out.”

Bobbie laughed. “I’m not pure as the driven snow either.”

“Your hair tells a different story.”

Bobbie gave a weak laugh. “Big week, cake delivery. You should see the figures, Rach is helping now, they look amazeballs.”

“Must be serious.” Kim showed her teeth in a mock grin. “I’ve never heard you use that word.”

“Things are looking up. Once this year’s out, I can turn my attention to Faye. That is not going to be a failure.”

“I’m with ya, sis. Anything I can do to help. She’s kind of been a sister to both of us.” Kim said, pulling the towel off of her head. “Family first.” The towel was thrown.

“Agreed.”

“And, of course. Fuck Roxx… Mel… whatever.” Kim growled through her teeth. “Only reason I’m letting her live right now is Faye. I want her Mark in a frame on my wall.” Bobbie didn’t need to see any darkness to know that she absolutely meant it.

Bobbie’s face jumped in surprise. “Damn, Kimster. Thin veil or no, this is a bit…”

Kim shook her head. “Remember when you came home? Girl with the faux hawk and the labret. Seen her lately? Roxx put me in a hell of a spot. Then I get to meet her little friend. Faye helped me figure this shit out. And you? Like it or not, she helped you a fuckton. That settles it for me. She’s family.” Bobbie said nothing. “We don’t leave anyone behind, and we don’t give up. Get me?” Kim presented a fist for Bobbie to bump, which ended in the splayed finger explosion. Bobbie looked for her oddly.

“Just a little something extra for Roxx.”

Bobbie and Kim re entered the house and readied for bed.

Big week, need the rest.

 

up
39 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos