Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2632

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2632
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

“Why are you crying, Mummy?” asked Livvie, “Is it because of Billie?”

I was too choked to speak so nodded tears running in streams down my face.

“She’s okay,” offered Trish and she doesn’t want you to worry about her.

“I know, I know,” I managed to squeeze out of my constricted larynx.

“So what you crying for?” Trish could be very direct when the mood took her and logic was stronger than empathy most of the time.

“I miss her,” I sniffed.

“We all do, don’t we Liv?”

“Course, but it’s different for mums, innit, Mummy?”

I nodded not sure that I really wanted a discussion on the various levels of grief experienced by different age groups. I suspect that I bonded more with my children than they did with each other, or perhaps just more quickly. I suspected that it was because I needed to be a mother as much as they needed mothering which was more than they needed siblings.

Carefully drying my eyes and sniffing my sinuses clear, I went to pick up my bag. Standing by it was Danni and her shoulders were shaking—she was crying. She and Billie were particularly close, with Danny the big brother getting involved in several fights on her behalf. I put my hand on her shoulder and waved the others away. Then I drew her into a hug. “Why’d she have to die, Mummy? It’s so unfair.”

“I know, sweetheart. Why—I don’t know, I don’t understand any of it or the reality of what some of you just saw.”

“You didn’t see her, then?”

“No, I don’t know why—perhaps too many barriers or filters.”

“For someone who’s dead, she looked really well,” then realising the absurdity of her statement she laughed, then laughed uncontrollably and finally wet herself. There were embarrassed laughs from behind us. I grabbed some paper hand towels and gave them to her steering her past the others to a toilet up the corridor.

“Clean yourself up as best you can, stick some toilet paper in your knickers if they’re wet, they’ll soon dry out.”

“What about my tights?”

“Put it between your knickers and your tights, hopefully it’ll dry both of them, or take your tights off, we’ll go home now instead of shopping.”

“I was looking forward to going to the shops. I always spoil things, don’t I?” She started to cry again.

“Sweetheart, go and clean yourself up, accidents can happen to anyone, especially those of us with modified plumbing.”

She nodded an scurried off to the loo. I went back to find Livvie cleaning up the lab floor. “Oh thanks. Darling, that’s very kind of you.”

“’S alright,” she said putting the paper towels in the bin and rinsing her hands, “No one else was gonna do it,” she looked accusingly at Trish and Meems.

Danielle returned sans tights. “Couldn’t I buy some more pants and tights, Mummy?”

“If we went to Asda or somewhere like that we could.”

“Please,” asked Danni and the others agreed. So that’s what we did. We went to Asda and she bought a pack of panties and a pair of opaque tights, paid for them and then went off to the toilet to put them on, taking a spare bag to shove her damp panties in. Once she was redressed the mood seemed to lighten and we all browsed the store the younger girls buying makeup while I bought some flour and yeast for the bread machine.

We had a snack in the coffee bar there, although I prefer Morrison’s cafe, then we did a couple of hours doing the chain stores. Nobody bought anything but they had fun trying stuff on, especially in the shoe department which had Trish trying to walk in a pair of four inch courts. She couldn’t, but Danielle could. Then they dared me. Well, never one to run away from a challenge I found a pair in my size and strolled up and down the shop a la catwalk style. The girls were in fits of laughter as I hammed it up.

Until...yeah, the manageress came up and tapped me on the shoulder. The girls were laughing so much at my antics there was a danger of someone else wetting their knickers. With the tap on the shoulder that nearly was me.

“Excuse me, Madame...”

“Oops, sorry—just having fun with my daughters.”

“Oh that’s fine, we like to think shopping is fun.”

“Oh good,” I went to take the shoes off and replace my own when she completely surprised me.

“Look, madame, we’re having a little fashion show tomorrow evening and we’re short of models. You look a size twelve or fourteen—would you be prepared to help us out? It’s for a good cause—the children’s hospice.”

“I’d have thought I was too old.”

“Not at all, we need people in their late twenties as most of our clientele are probably that age not teenagers.”

“She’s thirty one,” offered Trish smirking.

“You look good on it, madame; I’d have said more like twenty five.” I knew she was probably just soft soaping me into helping but I poked my tongue out at Trish who frowned at me.

“What time tomorrow?”

“It starts at seven thirty, but we’d need you here an hour or so before to sort out the stuff you’ll be modelling.”

“What time is your match tomorrow, sweetheart?” I asked Danielle.

“Half ten, why?”

“Would your daughter care to model for us as well?” The manageress glanced at Danni whose face lit up.

“Oh yeah,” she said, “I’m a size six.”

“If I could just take your names and a contact number...”

I just managed to stifle Trish from spilling the beans. “It’s Cathy Cameron and my daughter is Danielle.” I gave them my mobile number.

Back in the car Trish was miffed that she was too young again, “Why didn’t you tell them you were Lady Cameron?”

“It wasn’t appropriate or necessary.”

“But it’s your title.”

“So is Mrs and doctor, but neither would have been important in fact they might have made things worse. As it is she thinks I’m a housewife and mother, who probably got myself pregnant very young in having Danielle as someone only eighteen years younger.”

“What about Jacquie and Sammi or Julie then?”

“Thank goodness they weren’t here, that really would have caused confusion.”

“You coulda told her we’re adopted.”

“No I couldn’t, she didn’t need to know it and it’s not good to tell people too much about yourself, which is one of the criticisms of the internet and places like Facebook, youngsters especially, give away too much information about themselves to paedophiles.”

“I won’t do that,” exclaimed Trish blushing.

“You nearly did, or gave unnecessary information about Danni and me.”

“I didn’t mean to,” she started to get all moist eyed.

“I know, it’s sometimes what is called unwitting disclosure and is especially common in youngsters and old people.”

“So how come you didn’t?” she said and leant back in her seat so I couldn’t reach her.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
278 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

for a minute

Teresa L.'s picture

I was getting worried after reading this part "then realising the absurdity of her statement she laughed, then laughed uncontrollably and finally wet herself" the uncontrollably part, worried someone else might be having a breakdown. glad it was just a probably normal reaction to the situation.

as always, love the story Angharad.

Teresa L.

Teresa L.

the more i read bike....

....the more i like it. that was absolutely hilarious!

Trish is a sarcastic little

kristin's picture

Trish is a sarcastic little bugger! You think she would have more problems in school. Good for Cathy to teach her kids to be humble....one of the BEST traits for kids to have

kristyn nichols

A real family day

Rhona McCloud's picture

I did enjoy the family feel of today's outing after the international shenanigans. A timely reminder of unwitting disclosure for older BC readers but Cathy and Danni's shoe sizes came from a different planet.

image_49.jpg

Rhona McCloud

Sorry for confusion

Angharad's picture

it's supposed to relate to dress size.

Angharad

My bad!

Rhona McCloud's picture

It didn't register because in my mind Cathy is a UK size 10 unlike my size12.

International sizes are confusing and while I enjoyed having a US size 8 suit when younger (equivalent to UK 10) I hate having to ask for US shoe size 9½ (equivalent to UK 7½).

Rhona McCloud

We're the same shoe size

Angharad's picture

but sadly I haven't been a size 12 for many years, possibly cos I'm better at eating than cycling!

Angharad

pffft

Sandra Bullock wears size 9 to 9 1/2 shoes and she just got voted as the world's most beautiful woman. I'd say you're in good company. =P

I wear size 9 US. I think that's like the average shoe size here.

~Taylor Ryan
My muse suffers from insomnia, and it keeps me up at night.

Trish's motto should be

Trish's motto should be "Sarcasm, another FREE service I provide." She could almost become the fan club president as often as she delivers it upon others, especially onto her Mum, Cathy.

What a day

that promises to be for Danni , Soccer in the morning, And later that day a little modelling, Whats the odds though that a jealous Trish might try to put a spanner in the works !

Kirri

If the shoe fits.

Well done Angharad.
Another great episode. There are stupid women out there who have had a toe removed so their Jimmy Choo shoes fit better.
I prefer Cathy in a lovely dress, the better to show off her svelte figure. Let the show commence.
Thanks for keeping the saga going.
Love to all
Anne G.