The Lyssa Kordenay Missions - Book 15 - Butterflies Chasing Cats

Printer-friendly version

 

BCC cover.png
Book 15 of The Lyssa Kordenay Missions!
  A forgotten squadron of jet fighters are being brought back online
 Lyssa and Rodrick will have to split up to solve the situation!.

WARNING: The Lyssa Kordenay Missions may be
hyper-violent for some readers.

 

 


 

Butterflies chasing cats

 

 

CHAPTER 1

'This was it. All or nothing,' Adam thought as he loaded the last crate of components.

It had taken two painstaking years to assemble all of the parts needed. Fifty million Euros in gold waited for him. All he had to do was to get off the ground and across the border into Mexico. The rest would be easy. He checked the pallet-ed crates then climbed into the pilot seat and started the engines one by one then closed the ramp. His co-pilot already settled in and ready they throttled up and taxied out onto the runway.

a moment later permission was granted for take-off. Pavement of the runway rushed by as the cargo plane lifted off. he was tense as they flew south to the Mexican border. An hour later he breathed easy in Mexican airspace. They flew down to Guatemala then to Columbia and finally Brasil refueling at each place then across to Morocco, Egypt and finally Tehran, Iran.

 

Several trucks waited at the end of the runway along with a forklift. the Iranian colonel looked inside the first crate and nodded. The lead truck pulled forward and was unloaded. Adam smiled at the bricks of gold inside the metal boxes. Pallets were slid down to the forklift then loaded onto a waiting truck. Finally the boxes of gold were on-board and secured. Adam and his co-pilot shaking hands with the colonel.

"Ha! we're rich now," he exclaimed.

"Yeah. I am," Adam replied then shot him with the pistol he had pulled from behind his back.

The colonel chuckled,"What kind of service would you like for your friend?"

"The ditch at the end of the runway is fitting," Adam sneered as he walked up the ramp back into the plane then closed up and started the engines.

Minutes later he was flying north on his way to Zurich. Fifty million to make and smuggle the parts needed to get that old squadron back in the air and he didn't have to share with anybody now. Life was good now.

~o~O~o~

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN THEY HAVE THE PARTS NOW," Dannigan demanded over the phone.

"All we can think of was it was all pieced together individually to make all the components. This wasn't an overnight snatch 'n grab job Major Dannigan. It took time. At least a year according to Naval Intelligence," the other end answered.

"And just what exactly do you expect us to do about it Admiral," Dannigan asked.

"You have highly specialized resources Major. Resources I'll never know the full capabilities of. Assemble a team to either steal those aircraft or destroy them. A squadron of F-14A Tomcats in the hands of hostile Iranians absolutely can not be allowed," the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs answered then added," One other thing Major. The persons that enabled this. See to it they are also dealt with; permanently."

"You're all full of wonderful news," Dannigan commented.

"If I didn't know you personally I'd be begging anybody and everybody to deal with this and probably have an international incident. Help me Major, please," he asked Dannigan.

"I'll try Admiral. Send me what you have," Dannigan gave him an email address then hung up.

He leaned out the door,"Madison find Lyssa and Rodrick."

"This morning her Caribean number was active," Madison answered.

"Send her a message then,'both of you need to be available within twenty-four to seventy-two hours', and confirm that she got it," Dannigan ordered.

"Sending it now," she nodded as she typed.

Moments later a incoming message pinged, Lyssa had received the message and was standing by but Rodrick was on a VIP hop and would return in 10 hours. Madison winced hearing Danigan swearing at the information he was reading.

~o~O~o~

Lyssa bolted from the bed when the alarm clock went off and pulled on a one-piece swimsuit and socks then her shorts and running shoes. Rodrick slamming into swim trunks and socks and shoes behind her as she wrapped the band through her hair tearing for the door laughing.

Rodrick yelled,"catch up with that cute ass of yours on the road!"

She ran the bike down the driveway and jumped on coasting onto the road and pedaled fast as Rodrick followed seconds behind. Lyssa shifted gears gaining speed down the road with Rodrick hot on her tail and gaining fast. When they got back he was in the lead as he rode back up the driveway and around to the beach behind the house kicking off shoes and socks and sprinting down to the water's edge. If he could maintain the lead he would win and she would have to cook the breakfast of his choice while he showered.

At the twelve mile mark Lyssa was less than one hundred meters behind. Rodrick ran for the incoming surf and dove over a wave to start swimming for home. Within the hour she had caught up to him. Lyssa reached the beach first and ran for the deck with Rodrick once again hot on her tail but not close enough. Lyssa had won again for the sixth time in a row. They both stretched and walked to cool down without cramping up.

Lyssa pranced around Rodrick,"I want french toast, crispy bacon, sliced strawberries and scrambled eggs with mimosas."

She laughed walking to the bathroom. After 20 minutes walked back out as he set her plate on the table.

"mmmmm you're so sweet," she smiled impishly.

Rodrick caught her before she sat and yanked the towel off and popped her on the butt hard making Lyssa yelp then laugh.

"Tomorrow is gonna be a different story," he growled as she sat down.

Lyssa giggled as she toasted," To victory."

They both started eating.

"So what's the deal with Paul? He ever say what he wants us hanging around for," Rodrick asked between fork-fulls of french toast.

"Not yet but its has to be serious, he said both of us," she answered.

"I've got a hop to Atlanta this afternoon, think it'll matter," he swiped a piece of bacon from her plate.

"I doubt it, HEY!" she tried to grab it back.

Rodrick chuckled.

"Just don't play around up there," Lyssa munched on the remaining piece.

Rodrick shrugged," pick up in Atlanta to here and back. I should be back in time for dinner."

"I'd have Pete standing by just in case. Call me when you're on you way back, I'll try to have dinner ready," Lyssa smiled.

Rodrick's satellite phone rang and he answered it, "You're timing is perfect. Oh your ears must be burnin Paul."

He switched it to speakerphone.

"Rod where will you both be at 8pm tonight," Dannigan asked.

Lyssa answered quickly,"Hopefully dancing at the Lighthouse Inn."

"I've got an Atlanta hop today Paul so what's up," Rodrick asked.

"Cancel the dancing. I'll see you both tonight, Rod pick me up in Atlanta for your return trip," Dannigan said then disconnected.

"Wow, and there went all the fun for the day," Lyssa commented.

"Hey at least we know he's coming this time," He smirked making her laugh remembering him answering the door naked in Paris.

They finished eating and Lyssa cleaned up while Rodrick took a shower and shaved. She styled her hair and put on make-up then slipped into a blue dress and high heels while he got dressed himself. Rodrick drove her car while she found a radio station that would mildly irritate him. On the tarmac she walked over to the plane and gave him a kiss then walked back, a sudden gust of wind earned her a loud whistle to which she turned back and blew a kiss to Rodrick as the ground crew laughed. Within minutes she waved as he taxied out then took off heading north. She got back into her car and drove into town to shop.

 

CHAPTER 2

Adam finished signing the paperwork for the numbered account. He'd be able to access it using any name from anywhere in the world and in three days he'd have a dozen aliases to use as he went between non-extradition countries for the next six months. He'd already found a buyer for the cargo plane he used. By the end of the week he'd have a new Learjet and be on his way to Bali for a month. He'd covered his tracks well and with the death of his former partner there would be no way to track him and he didn't have to share that gold either. Soon he'd be untouchable. Just a few days in a five star hotel and then he'd be off to paradise.

~o~O~o~

Rodrick stepped down the stairway after Dannigan and spoke quickly with the ground crew as he signed the checklist for them. The crew chief handed him a set of keys and pointed to Lyssa's car beside the hangar. The drive to the beach house took no time at all. Walking in, the smell of dinner reminded them it had been a long day. Rodrick walked up behind her,wrapped his arms around and kissed her.

"Good flight," she asked.

"Long one. Damn that smells good," Rodrick smelled the steaks and lobster tails.

"Wash up. One of you set the table and one open the wine," Lyssa instructed.

They crowded each other at the sink trying to wash their hands and ended up elbowing each other then slinging water until Lyssa called them down before a mop was warranted. Since Rodrick knew where everything was he was chosen to set the table while Dannigan opened the wine and poured it into a decanter. Salads were first and then the steaks with lobster tails and steamed vegetables and finally a Bavarian black forest cake with a rich cream glaze and black cherry sauce.

"Jesus Rodrick. When the hell are you gonna marry her. She cooks better than the White House staff,"Dannigan said.

Rodrick choked on his wine and Lyssa dropped her fork. Both looked at each other then Dannigan with a look of panic.

Dannigan looked from one to the other," people in love do that;well most people. You two being Operators the concept may be a bit foreign to you. Don't tell me you haven't thought about it."

Rodrick looked like a 5 year old caught raising his head out of the cookie jar with a mouth full of oreos.

Dannigan smiled to himself and thought, 'So Rodrick had been thinking about it.'

Lyssa's look of sheer terror was a different story though.

"I saw two mountain bikes set up for triathlons, he's driving your car and I bet if I look in the bedroom; his clothes are in the closet and not a suitcase. It doesn't take my twenty years of experience in intelligence to determine that you two are living together," Dannigan stated.

They both looked at each other as if this observation was news to them.

"Excuse me," Lyssa stood up and took her glass of wine with her out onto the deck.

She stood watching the waves come in.

"Give me a hand with this Paul," Rodrick got up and started clearing the table.

Dannigan helped him and afterward set up his laptop to the plasma tv, then walked out to the deck.

"What's the problem," he asked her.

"I'm not thinking about more than tomorrow, or I wasn't. Until now," she answered.

"Do you love him," Dannigan asked watching the waves with her.

"Yes," Lyssa said.

"You tell him so,"Dannigan continued.

"I did," Lyssa replied.

"I presume he said he does too," He asked staying on the topic.

"He said it first but had a hard time," Lyssa admitted.

Dannigan finally turned and looked at her.

"So you love him...he loves you...you both know it. So what's the problem? Just because you're both Operators doesn't mean you can't have lives with each other," Dannigan said pointedly.

Lyssa looked down at the sand silently.

"I was married once....didn't work out because she didn't understand," Dannigan said matter of factly," you don't have that problem; you understand him, he understands you. I think it'd work out."

"Not with my history," Lyssa murmured.

Dannigan looked at her again,"so he isn't your first boyfriend, you're not his first girlfriend but you're together now and enjoying it."

"Not what I meant," Lyssa said softly.

Dannigan looked puzzled for a moment which got him a very angry look from Lyssa.

"Remember before dumb-ass," she hissed.

"oh...OH! Sorry, I actually forget that Lyssa," he admitted," wasn't that kinda the goal?"

Lyssa said nothing.

"I don't think about that person anymore Lyssa. A plot in Arlington and memories are all that's left," he said softly.

"Facts are facts Major; I was not always as I am now and there are some things I just can't do," she whispered.

"Look I didn't come down here to tell you how to live, I was just making dinner conversation. I came down here because of a serious crisis," he said," but I will say this; you looked stunning in those bridal gowns and I'm not the only one to think so."

"Don't play Major, please don't play," Lyssa said.

"Hey. I saw Madison looking at the pictures of you and Rodrick with a wistful expression," Dannigan remarked then turned to walk inside.

 

"Have a seat Rod, we'll go over your part first," he said pulling up the file, "As you know The Shah of Iran was friendly to us and we allowed him to purchase a squadron of F-14A's a long time ago. Things started going south, along with his health, so when he fled the country, our technicians maintaining them did too."

Rodrick nodded as a series of diagrams of components went across the screen.

"They took with them some very key components, crippling the whole squadron. Since then those items under strict security to prevent that squadron from being restored to flight duty. This guy here found a way to rebuild those components and flew them to Iran. They paid him in gold. He killed his partner right on the tarmac there we've been told and bailed to Zurich," Dannigan explained.

Rodrick nodded, "Ok. so where do we come in at?"

Dannigan continued, "I'm sending Lyssa after him. You, I'm putting in charge of a team to go steal those Tomcats back. I have the team going to meet you at your airfield in the Bahamas at zero seven. Jump in and lead the team to steal those planes. You won't be able to land on carriers but a couple of tankers will be waiting to get you to Helicon Air Force Base Greece. From there all but one will return to the states."

Rodrick looked back at the big spook, "one?"

Dannigan nodded, "Yours will be listed as missing over the Med, fitted with external tanks and refueled. After you take off from Helicon you're on your own, but if you get that plane to Key West it'll be traded out for a G model."

"Damn! Are you serious? I can have an F-14 G," Rodrick asked.

Dannigan nodded.

"What's Lyssa gonna be doing," Rodrick asked.

Dannigan brought up the picture of the traitor again, "Tracked him to Zurich. There's a ballet running now. A Prima that trained with Lyssa is the principal dancer and owes her a favor. A big favor."

Rodrick looked at the picture of the dancer and remembered vaguely her picture and name; Katya Taliyenko. She was one of the top three in the world and very sought after. Rodrick wondered what the favor was. His puzzlement must have shown to Dannigan because he explained.

Dannigan said," During a production she and Lyssa were understudies to a Prima. That Prima was heavily negotiating the principal in another production but was running the tail end of a career."

"Define-heavily,"Rodrick said.

"She tried trading their rapes for the principal position. Almost worked but she didn't know Lyssa knew those things had a habit of happening and was ready for it. Because of that the Prima and the producer were ruined in the scandal. Katya and Lyssa became the darlings of Bolshoi. Lyssa prefers shadow more than spotlight so she keep putting Katya to the forefront when exposure was convenient and that's how Katya became a top Prima. She owes Lyssa big time,"Dannigan explained.

"Wow, that's really serious, but would she just drop out of a production just like that,"Rodrick asked.

Lyssa spoke from the doorway disconnecting from a call, "Katya will fake a sprained ankle in an hour and have a call made to me to fill in. I'll go pack."

She then went to the bedroom and packed her carry-on. Mostly dance clothes and toe-shoes along with a few other choice wardrobe pieces just in case she couldn't get to the Zurich house. Right on time her phone rang and knew she was on speaker. As it turned out she knew the Director and Producer. They were thrilled she could be on the next flight out.

~o~O~o~

Rodrick was puzzled that all she gave him was a hesitant peck on his lips for luck at the jetway then boarded the plane for Zurich.

 

CHAPTER 3

Pete picked up that Rodrick was in a strange mood. Something was on his mind and it had nothing to do with the bunch of pilots trying to sleep in web seats in the belly of the C-130 or the super-grade spook in the flight engineer seat behind them. He heard Rodrick come over the intercom.

Rodrick asked, "Paul. you awake?"

"Yeah, what's up Rod," he answered.

Pete saw Rodrick flip two switches then heard nothing else. Rodrick wanted privacy and isolated them both. not just from anybody else listening but from the data recorders too.

Rodrick turned in his seat and looked at Dannigan," I dunno what you two talked about on the deck but she's acting different now and I don't like it. When this is done I'm turning the phones off again. We're gonna talk and find out how you fucked up so I can take care of my girl!"

Dannigan sat for a moment then said, "Rodrick you hang onto that thought and do what you just said and you'll both be fine. Lyssa has issues; that's not news to you, but I have no doubt that you two can sort damn near anything out. She may work alone and do it well but she needs you Rod. More than you'll ever know and that scares the living hell out of her more than anything else. So think about it. Think hard man. You love her don't you?"

Rodrick answered," Hell yeah! How could you ask that?"

"Would anything ever change that," Dannigan asked.

Rodrick answered immediately," of course not."

Dannigan looked at him intently, "Checkpoint Zulu. The point of no return Mason; love her forever or cut her loose when this is done. Make up your mind because I'm the one that would insist on walking her down the aisle and I'll see to it there's a liquidation mandate on the one that breaks her heart. and carry it out myself."

Rodrick opened his mouth but Pete's slug to the shoulder definitely got his attention.

He flipped the switches,"WHAT?"

Several groans echoed back at the outburst.

"Iranian airspace boss. Whatever it is; wrap it up. Time to go to work,"Pete informed him with a look that said he needed to get his collective shit together.

Rodrick got out of his seat and headed back to the cargo bay to suit up. All the other pilots were double checking their equipment, night jumps were dangerous as they were but night jumping into Iran to land inside an air base was pushing it. The other pilots he vaguely knew by reputation. After dropping everybody out Pete would continue on to Turkey to refuel and then head for Greece and drop Dannigan off. He'd meet up with the pilots to debrief and Pete was free to return home.

 

Carl gave him a thumbs up on his equipment then held up five fingers. When he held up three fingers they attached their breathing masks and gave him a thumbs up. The cargo bay de-pressurized and he held up two fingers then pointed to the ramp. The lights inside turned red and the ramp began to lower. At one minute he pointed to the jump light and held up his fist. When the light switched to green and he saluted then waved them to go.

Rodrick led them out into the black sky. Immediately after exit they pulled their chutes. They were HAHO; High Altitude High Opening, jumping. They would jump high then glide the parachutes in using GPS. It was the only sure way at night landing in hostile
territory. Minutes later they landed inside the enclosure housing the squadron.

 

One by one the team silently removed the sentries. Rodrick gave a signal and they ran for the planes and overrode all fail-safeties to get them started. the Iranians had made the mistake of fully fueling the aircraft, also an even bigger mistake of having them armed. Rodrick led them out of the pen and headed for the runway. He'd be the last to take off as they did so in pairs.

 

Alarms and sirens blared, lights flashed and men ran everywhere but the fighters were taking off too fast for anyone to do anything to stop them as Rodrick and his wingman lifted from the runway. When the wheels cleared they swept the wings back and rammed
the throttle forward making the jets scream climbing into the sky. Afterburners lit as the squadron pushed past sonic speeds to get away.

 

Within minutes they flew past the shoreline and slowed down over the Mediterranean to meet the refueling tankers then flying on to Greece. At Helicon they fitted his plane with external tanks then fully fueled him and gave priority clearance to take off. Rodrick roared off into the pre-dawn sky. He would refuel in France, Ireland, Iceland, Greenland and Nova Scotia to Maine then fly down the coast to Key West to trade the A-model for a G-model with no numbers or other distinctive markings. Rodrick would then fly down to his own airfield to keep it. From there he'd return to Cayman and wait for Lyssa.

~o~O~o~

Adam verified the amount deposited and its nature then signed the final form. He had chosen the alpha-numeric account number as well as its corresponding passcode. He left the bank and was driven back to the hotel. Adam had the concierge make dinner reservations for him as well as an appointment with a tailor. Standing in the Tailor shop he listened to the conversation; the prima ballerina in a production had fallen and sprained her ankle during a rehearsal and there was two more nights of showing. He'd get a prime seating ticket for tonight.

~o~O~o~

Lyssa stepped out onto the stage and held her ready position, took cue from the music and danced to the segment then held her closing position as the curtain fell. The stage hands moved like lightning as she ran to the side. A quick drink of water as the curtain raised and the other dancers trooped out, took their positions and started dancing. She rejoined for the remainder of the segment.

Two of the other dancers had tried to frighten her off. A pathetically old prank; claiming that her hair would not work for the production and the Director would insist her head be shaved to wear a wig. She gave the two French girls a very cold look then spoke to them in flawless Russian that though she had a wonderful sense of humor, such antics would not be acceptable by any Balanchine or Bolshoi Master or Mistress. Both girls almost fainted when the Director walked up and introduced her as a Bolshoi Prima. Lyssa showed neither mirth nor malevolence at their reaction. They stood agape as rehearsal went flawless.

By intermission Lyssa had spotted her target in a private box watching the performance. Most of the troupe were French but Lyssa spoke to the Director and Producer in Russian, the wardrobe and make-up artists in French and Swiss respectively. She recognized him again at the small reception for the high paying VIP guests after the performance and made herself very noticeable.

~o~O~o~

Adam heard her easy transitions from Russian, French and Swiss and had to investigate the gorgeous dancer. He stepped up and greeted her in French. He asked her where she was from.

Lyssa answered coyly in French, "I live where I can be most comfortable."

That explained it all to him; she was a mistress currently between keepers. Adam gave her the name of his hotel, suite number and suggested a night cap. Lyssa said she'd consider it but implied that she would visit. After changing from costume an awaiting limo took her back to her house on the city outskirts. Katya was standing in the kitchen when Lyssa walked in.

~o~O~o~

"How did it go my friend,"Katya asked in Russian accented English.

"you are to be proud Katya," Lyssa answered in Russian.

"I still don't understand why you wanted to dance for this one but any favor you ask is yours. You protected me back then and gave me honor you deserved more. Lyssa you are of many secrets. One day when neither of us can dance anymore, will you tell one or two," she asked.

"One day Katya, but for now have you done as I asked," Lyssa asked her.

"Yes I have booked a flight to Hawaii as you said. Prima Marissa will meet me at the airport and hide me for two weeks to recuperate," Katya answered.

"Good. I will take you to the airport now. Keep up the charade until you are safely hidden at her house,"Lyssa said.

 

CHAPTER 4

Adam looked in the mirror and was satisfied. He'd taken a shower and shaved waiting for the ballerina to show up and now stood wearing his suit pants and unbuttoned shirt. He'd enjoy this. a night in bed with such a woman would be fun. Women like this ballerina would say yes to anything as long as there no visible marks he thought gleefully. a slight tap caught his attention but he ignored it. The window wasn't properly latched and a breeze made it move most likely. that was his thought when he felt a sudden snap of pain at the base of his skull and blackness enveloped him.

 

Some time later he awoke and realized he was tied to a chair in a dimly lit room.

"Oh. you're awake now," a vaguely familiar feminine voice said close by.

Adam turned his head and saw her. The ballerina, and she spoke english like native born American.

"This isn't what I had in mind," He commented.

Adam then saw she wore neither a dress nor some provocative lingerie. Instead she wore a form-fitting black suit and boots with a weapons harness.

"You're an American agency. Aren't you," he sneered.

"Yes. I am," Lyssa finally turned revealing her face streaked with the black combat paint.

"CIA? NSA? DOD? DIA?" he asked.

"Doesn't matter. I don't ask anyway," she said unzipping a small black case to reveal a syringe with needle and a vial of clear liquid.

"Sodium Pentathol has no effect on me, honey," Adam chuckled as she filled the syringe and tapped out the bubbles.

Lyssa stepped closer,"not Sodium Pentathol. This is called Inanna. Its named for the Anti-muse. I've been to Hell Adam Blake."

She inserted the needle into his neck and pressed the plunger slowly,"where I'm sending you........much worse."

He laughed as she took the needle out but stopped after a minute. He suddenly felt warmthen hot. His neck felt on fire then his head snapped sideways from a punch. The beautiful dancer, now in menacing black blurred and faded. The figure became his friend but there was a hole in his forehead and blood poured from it as another punch connected, flinging his head back.

A girl he'd beaten and raped in the Philippines leaned over his shoulder and whispered into his ear,"this will go on forever and its only just started."

Children he had tormented in school filed past slamming their fists into various parts of his body, the pain was amplified as the heat left and he suddenly became cold. No part of him was left untouched as he saw his father striking out followed by his brother. a moment later the heat came back and he saw flames licking around a dark figure that came forward. He saw a mangled face that gave him a bleeding smile then lashed out a kick to his knee and slammed a fist deep into his gut.

Adam lost track of time as the pain intensified. More and more tormentors came in and out of focus. He couldn't understand why wasn't he being asked anything. a long wicked looking knife flashed in the firelight and slowly drew a red line down his arm. Heat and cold flashed back and forth through his arm as he saw muscle and other tissue slowly move to the side revealing the bones.

Lights exploded behind his eyes as something pressed on the bone then scraped down it. He thrashed and screamed as the same thing happened to his leg realizing it was the tip of the knife blade as it dug a furrow into the bone. He started screaming what he hoped they wanted to make the pain stop.

"I have gold! Millions in gold and you can have it! Just make it STOP! ALL THE GOLD IF YOU'LL JUST STOP," he screamed.

The demon reached out its claw and opened up his other leg then dug into his bone with a sickening scraping sound. He screamed the account number and pass-code then he screamed the name of the colonel in Iran that paid him. He even named his contact in the states that had relayed to the Iranians. The smuggler that bought his plane. The forger providing him with false identities. Time had no meaning anymore as he saw flames dance in the open wounds of his flesh until he passed out from all of it.

~o~O~o~

Dannigan read the message from Lyssa. Iranian operatives in the U.S. without diplomatic covers to protect them. They'd drop from sight in a few hours. She'd certainly wasted no time and asked for a disposal crew pick-up at a cross roads in four hours. The strange part was the statement she'd included. She would return to the states and asked the exact location of the plot in Arlington. Rodrick had already dropped off his new Tomcat in the Bahamas and flown back to Cayman to wait for Lyssa. Time had finally come to interfere with her life.

"Madison....get Rodrick Mason on the phone. Tell him to come up here," Dannigan called out.

"Yes sir,"Madison answered then dialed.

~o~O~o~

Lyssa stood still in front of him as his vision cleared and focused through haze left over from the drug and pain. Adam realized he was sitting on the ground leaning against a signpost.

"Welcome back," she said softly.

"Am I dead," he asked in a hoarse voice.

She leaned forward and drew the Marauder across his abdomen. His organs spilled out onto his lap. He looked down and then back up into her dove grey eyes unable to make a sound.

"Not yet Adam Blake, but you will be," she hissed softly into his ear then swiped the tip of the blade inside his cavity slicing his diaphragm.

He couldn't breath anymore. Light and darkness shimmered in his vision as he struggled to take a breath. Tears rolled down his face as she draped a black plastic sheet over him. This was what it was like to be in a body bag. He didn't know when his eyes closed, but he couldn't hear his heart beat anymore and then nothing.

 

Lyssa went back to the house and cleaned up the mess in the basement. Her hands shook as she took a long shower then went to sleep until the afternoon.The final performance went without problems.

 

The next day Lyssa stopped at the bank and spoke to the manager familiar with her and gave the account number from Adam Blake then the pass-code. The manager then informed her of the current balance and asked how she wished to proceed. Lyssa had the funds transferred to her Zurich and Grand Cayman accounts along with a wire transfer to her friend Katya.

Lyssa arrived at the VIP lounge of the airport with half an hour to spare after checking in. She flew first class to Heathrow and caught the connecting flight to the states. A taxi from the airport to the storage facility to pick up her car. The drive to her house on the beach took an hour. It was late morning so she showered, changed into a plain black dress and pumps after styling her hair and putting on make-up.

~o~O~o~

Her face showed no emotion as she drove through Washington to park along a narrow road in Arlington National Cemetery. Carefully she walked across the grass to keep the slender heels from sinking until she stood in front of the marker she had come to see. A special section not many knew about, very few people visited.

Alone, she knelt down and traced the name etched into the marble with her fingers. A name not spoken in over three years then read the epitaph below the rank, name and dates of birth and death; A soldier can give no more than all of themselves to serve that which they believe in most. Below that; the insignia of Special Forces and Special Operational Detachment-Delta. At the bottom was a very small hooded and cloaked figure.

Lyssa didn't try to hold back the tears that formed and slowly rolled down to fall into the green grass for several minutes. She didn't look up to the voice beside her.

"I hope he liked the epitaph, it seemed to sum up his character,"Dannigan said then crouched down and pulled a weed or two.

"Its empty. Isn't it," She asked.

"Its not the only one like that here,"he answered.

"When I finally die will I be put in it," she asked looking at the grass as she stood up.

"I thought Lyssa Kordenay would prefer to be buried beside the man that loves her. Maybe even married her. But first she should come to terms with the fact that she can be loved and have a life within it,"Dannigan said.

"My history....."she began but was cut off.

"Its history and doesn't matter anymore," he continued," He does you know, love you. If you think it really makes a difference,tell him. If he walks then its him that's not worthy."

"Yeah....right..." Lyssa muttered.

"Hey! Of all the people I've ever known; nobody has earned the right to be loved unconditionally more than you,"Dannigan insisted," I wish we could declassify you. You truly do end all arguments about diversity in service both overt and covert so don't give me
that shit ever again. You made a believer out of me and I don't regret any of it. Closest I've ever had to a child of my own and damn proud of you too!"

Lyssa stood up and hugged him. Dannigan held her for a couple of minutes then eased her back and took out a handkerchief and dabbed her eyes of the running mascara and eyeliner.

"He's at my office. Talk to him Lyssa. Take him home, go on vacation, whatever you want,"Dannigan told her as he walked her back to her car.

 

After Lyssa drove away he turned and looked down at another marker. The epitaph reading; The ultimate price of unshakable faith is; remembrance of courage. He turned to see a General walk up and saluted out of habit.

The General returned it then chuckled, "visiting your own grave again Major?"

"Somebody else's actually,General Singleton," Dannigan answered and noticed a procession approaching,"One of yours?"

"Yeah. Damn training accident. Just a kid at that. Take care Major Branton," the General said.

Dannigan sighed," damn shame Sir."

The General nodded then returned the offered salute and walked to join the funeral making its way to the reserved plot.

Dannigan got into his car and drove out, dialing his phone, "She's on her way Mason. All or nothing. Make it count."
 
 
 

Lyssa Kordenay returns in Ghosts, Shadows and Butterflies!
up
506 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A Passing Thought

Remembrance, Sad, Happy tears.

Olivea

Sad Remembrance

Dahlia's picture

Life lived in the past is a waste and failure. To remember is a miracle of human development but it can also be a curse as well. Memories are something we pull forward to help us guide into our future. Sadly, sometimes those same memories are so painful as to temporarily cripple us. How does one delve into a painful, crippling memory and survive the pain relived? This is a goal I've never reached. Silly though it is, it is better to not look into the dark past. Thereby acting as if it never happened. Some would call this self preservation.
Thanks for another great chapter in one of my favorite story lines.

Dahlia

I can sympathize with Lyssa

I can sympathize with Lyssa right now and her feelings and relationship with Rodrick. I do agree with Dannigan and his comments to her about it all, plus his comments to Rodrick, "All in, or all out"; "but never, ever hurt her or you will wish you hadn't."

Owning an F14?

Oh my, that is an expensive proposition for as far as I know there has never been a G version. Since it is no longer in service, the cost of maintenance goes through the roof. It might be better off just owning an F18 or F16 at this point. I doubt even Dannigan would have the pull to get his hands on an F22.

I'd hazzard a guess that

Sammi's picture

I'd hazard a guess that, Rodrick has some kind of love affair with the 'Tomcat' which is why he chose it.
I know that if money was no object for me I'd like a Aston Martin DB5.

1964_Corgi_Aston_Martin_DB5.jpg
james-bonds-aston-martin-db5-for-sale-by-rs-williams--image-rs-williams_100417822_l.jpg

The deal sweetener would be that it still has a combat avionics package, as the way I read things when these jets are sold off they downgrade them so they can still be flown but the most you could do is add the dumpable fuel pods for longer flying times.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Roderick was a Naval Aviator.....

D. Eden's picture

Hence his love affair with the F14. The Tomcat was the premier fighter for years, and was capable of doing things no other plane could.

It was designed not only for air superiority, but also for fleet defense. It's radar system was capable of not just tracking, but simultaneously attacking six targets. It was the only plane ever capable of deploying the Pheonix missile, a missile with a range in excess of 200 miles as well as supersonic speeds. The plane was one of the first jets with a positive weight to thrust ratio enabling it to accelerate straight up, and with it's variable geometry configuration it was capable of sustained high speed flight and maneuvers as well as low speed flight thus providing it with carrier capability as well as operating off of smaller airfields.

It was one of the first aircraft with a digital data link, enabling it operate in conjunction with the Navy's Hawkeye aircraft as well as with the larger AWACS system. It was also a two seat fighter, allowing the pilot to concentrate on flying, while the NFO worked the offensive and defensive systems.

The Tomcat was kept in service for decades, but it finally succumbed to the fact that it was more economic to replace the airframes than to continue to upgrade them to current technological levels.

They still remain formidable aircraft though, and as someone who has had several rides in the backseat of one, I was sorry to see them retired.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Vertical climb

was achieved by the UK's English Electric Lightning more than a decade earlier (Lightning introduced '59, Tomcat '74) with a thrust to weight ratio of 1.3 to 1. It's official ceiling was 60,000 foot, well above the Tomcat's 50,000, and the actual ceiling was much higher. While far less capable, overall, than the Tomcat, it satisfied it's design role perfectly. The Lightning was introduced while the USSR was still using high-altitude bombers to deliver nukes, with the job of intercepting them before they reached the United Kingdom. My brother-in-law flew them. He described his job as "to get up, shoot the Russian down, and then see if there was a runway left to land on."

John 15:13.......

D. Eden's picture

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

That is the true epitaph of a soldier.

I have thought much of what I would want mine to be, and I am not sure what I would choose. An epitaph should encapsulate the being of the person; it should give you a feeling for them by encapsulating that which was most important to them. I have had two major roles in life, two purposes, and I hope that I was good at both. The first was my service to my country and to the men that I led. Without meaning to sound arrogant, I know I was good at my job - yet I also know that I failed in my first duty. I failed to bring all of those entrusted to me home safely. Those men who were tasked with keeping me safe - I swore that I would do the same for them. I will forever suffer for that failing, yet I also know that my actions (made possible only by my security team) saved many more.

My second role in life was as a parent. I didn't have a very good example in my own parents, and I hope that I learned a few things from their negative example. I think I did a pretty good job - my sons seem to have turned into outstanding young men, notwithstanding any issues that my transition is causing. With luck and more than a few prayers, they will survive this point in their lives without getting as screwed up as I am.

All of us hope that we can find that one person in the world who understands us and supports us. I thought I had, but even as good and loving as my wife is/was, our relationship has not survived. Between my gender issues and dealing with the fallout from my time in combat, she has decided that even though she loves me, she can not be with me. Well........

Such is life.

Hopefully Lyssa has found that other half of her soul in Roderick - her anchor to life. Every true warrior must find that thing which keeps them whole, keeps them sane and allows them to turn off the missions. There is nothing harder on a spouse than dealing with their inability to understand what you have been through, especially when you can't talk about it.

I for one have truly enjoyed this series, and it is nice to see the story delving into the rest of Lyssa's life - the non-mission oriented part of her life.

I am looking forward to the next installment, and really looking forward to the talk between Lyssa and Roderick.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Sorry to say...

The English Teacher's picture

Not a big thing and often overlooked but, the four national languages of Switzerland are German, French, Italian and Romansh. All but Romansh maintain equal status as official languages at the national level within the Federal Administration of the Swiss Confederation. So you see the Swiss have not a language of their own.

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

Another darn good story & I

Another darn good story & I wonder where you get some of your facts, but one must remember this is fiction. Still good writing ...

My bad...

Alecia Snowfall's picture

sometimes I get it wrong. There is no actual Swiss language, its actually an accent and there are slang words. The main language spoken in Switzerland is German followed by French. Austria is much the same; German with an accent.
 
There actually is a squadron of F-14's in Iran that sit rusting away because they can't work(due to missing parts) that were legit purchases before Khomeini took over Iran.
More than once I've been asked where I get plots for LKM. Declassified reports, documentaries, fictional shows, books, conversations with "old friends" from when I was in service. Other Valkyries know what I mean about those conversations; "ok...hypothetically speaking, In a middle eastern city that rhymes with 'Get it on' there was a guy who's name is similar sounding to 'a new jaguar' had to be taken out because he got a hold of some certain missiles....." some of you know how it is. Stories that aren't BIG secrets, but not common knowledge either. *lol*
  btw...just for the record; there isn't a G-model F-14 Tomcat. The last model in service was the F model. This won't be the last time I "add a model".
  Also I was asked about Lyssa's Marauder knife. There are several knifes under the name Marauder that you can find online, none are the one she uses. Back in the 80's in several guns & ammo magazine(and similar publications) they advertised it. Hailed as the ultimate combat/throwing knife it was flat and had a round pommel with a spike opposite the blade and opposing spikes for the hand guard and the sides of the pommel which had a hole in it. I may have to draw a picture of it sometimes and post it in comments so some will be able to see what I mean.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

The Marauder Knife Lyssa uses

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Marauder Knife.JPG

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Another wonderful story

gillian1968's picture

I'm getting to like these more and more.

The F-14 was a wonderful plane. Coming from the Air Force, I was rather partial to the F-15, but they were both great aircraft.

Gillian Cairns