Maid to be a Man? Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Permission: 

Finally free of Grandma, Gerome begins the adventure of a lifetime. Will reality match his dreams?
Maid to be a Man?
By Maid Joy

Chapter 7

“I think that this will be innovative enough that we can make some real money off it.

“A few years ago I saw a special on a finishing school for girls that reenacts the time just before 1861.”

Angie interrupted. “Why does that date sound so familiar?”

Mia grinned. “Because you paid attention in history class dear.” Her accent shifted, “That's when those nawthen states had their little-ole War of Nawthen Aggression. They came traipsin down and attacked with nah pravacation. They just came in and started killin everyone, all because the Confederate States tried to thro off the yoke of Nawthern Oppression just like they did with the English nearly a century befaw. Imagine that… When they do it, it's a REVOLUTION… when we do it it's TREASON.” She laughed.

Angie was barely containing her giggles. “Mia where did you learn that accent? In Manitoba?”

Mia sobered. “Angie, I'm not really Canadian you know. I was born here in this state, Bellweather is my home, I grew up there and many of the markings that are in the walls and doors I either put there or know how they got there. I've heard the history of Bellweather over and over again, and could probably recite it to you if you really wanted to hear it. I have a lot of memories of the place.” Her voice trailed off in reminisces.

“Why on Earth would you want to sell it then?”

Mia was truly shocked. “What in Heaven's name would I want with it? I mean, 20 bedrooms, a Grand Ballroom, a Dining Room to seat 40 and servant's quarters that would house 20? I may be rich, but a young playboy about town doesn't need a mausoleum like that to come home to every night. PLUS all the outbuildings, PLUS all the contents of the attics and basements and outbuildings? And the upkeep on the grounds? I mean, really… And given that I don't do enough to keep just a few people employed to wait on me, and certainly not enough to keep a staff like the mansion requires."

Angie had the good grace to blush. "Okay, I can see how a single playboy wouldn't need it, so why not put it all in mothballs and keep it for later?"

Mia shifted a little. "Mostly it's because I didn't want to be bothered. I mean, I had lived there all my life, I had a lot of memories from the place, most of them involving my grandmother the witch, and those memories have all kinds of emotional baggage attached to them. I had to work and work hard to understand businesses I wasn't interested in so my grandmother would praise me, to get money I didn't need, for employees that I could care less about. It was just always me giving to everyone else and never having the time do do anything for me.

"I was sick of doing and being for others. I had decided that I wanted to chuck it all and let others just live their life while I went my own way."

"So why didn't you just sell everything and clip coupons for the rest of your life?"

"Because it's never that simple." Mia stood and started cleaning the mud off herself. "With money like I have now there are TONS of unintended consequences. Believe it or not, just dumping that much on the various markets would cause things to get depressed fast. It could even collapse the economy. And it wouldn't just affect the businesses I own, it would also affect businesses that do business with my companies, and the companies that do business with those companies, and so on. The ripples keep spreading, and eventually could hurt the world economy.

"So I just decided to be the playboy, like so many of the jet-set, and have a peripheral interest in the businesses and live off the money it brought in. I would hire managers, get something on them to keep them loyal to me and insure they didn't steal too much or they would be killed, metaphorically speaking, and just let the money roll in while I go and try to spend it all."

A quick spray of a shower, the mud was gone from Mia's body. She wrapped the towel around herself and started drying off. "Now I know better, thanks to what you have said. So I'm going to actually do something I'm interested in. I'll probably have to do stuff with the other companies occasionally, but I will be damned before I lose myself taking care of everyone else."

Angie got up and moved toward the showers herself. Mia could only guess at her mood as the thoughtful look on Angie's face didn't tell Mia much. Thoughtful good? Thoughtful bad? Thoughtful pissed? What?

Finally when Angie was cleaned off, she turned to Mia. "So, what IS it you plan going to be?"

The attendants came back into the room and took them both off to more of the luxury they earned, so Angie would just have to wait.

When they got back home after all the pampering, Mia began to lay out the whole plan.

"You know that Bed and Breakfast places are popular. So are places that do reenactment things like the Society for Creative Anachronisms and the Civil War players. My idea is to do both, and make Bellweather a place where people can come and play at being Victorian Lord or Lady for a week or so. Oh, and they will pay us through the nose for the privilege too."

Angie's mouth was open. "That's an interesting business model. I don't think I know of any other place that does something like this. So basically it's an immersive role-play experience in a beautiful mansion working and living by Victorian rules? Would this continue to the servants as well? 'Come play a maid for a week and explore how controlled you are' thing?"

"I hadn't considered that, but we could definitely do that. There would have to be one or two of the positions open to rotate the guests through and we would have to keep some of the staff always on and always available. So, I'm thinking like 6-10 guests doing the high Victorian thing, and 2-4 doing the servants? Think that sounds right?"

"I think some more research is needed," Angie said.

They went to the library and raided all the shelves for anything that might be relevant to Victorian mansions, the running of, staffing, and households in general. Once all the books were collected, Angie sat down with them and started going through them page by page looking for information. At milady's working desk in the library, she started making lists of things she found. Meanwhile, Mia was scouring the Internet for more information.

They each took about 8 hours to do the research, with breaks for meals and bathroom breaks. But at the end they had a ton of information.

In the end, the assembled information told them a lot.

First they would have to hire back most of the staff that Gerome had let go.

Second, they would have to expand the wardrobes that Mia and Angie had.

Third, it would be imperative that Mia stayed around to be the "Lady of the Manor" with Angie as her Lady's Maid. Why have to hire someone to do the job Mia dreamed of?

Fourth, there was a huge market for this kind of fantasy yet there was a question that urgently needed to be answered. Was it better to move the whole thing to England or keep it in the United States. While the setting was better for this kind of entertainment in England, most of those who were interested in participating in this kind of program and had the money to afford it were in the US and Canada. Mia decided that keeping it as a Victorian/Edwardian time period would make it unique and desirable to their prospective clients.

"You know, I wish I had thought of this earlier," Mia complained much later. "Most of what we got rid of to the various reenactment groups is EXACTLY what we need to buy back."

Angie said "It might just be better to buy new, that way you can get them custom made, you can add in the various tricks that will allow those who are renting them for the immersion to fit their clothing. But I think that really, the first order of business is getting the staff back and working on what will need to be done in preparation for this house and the grounds, if you want to move forward with this business model."

"What do you mean?"

"Mia, I love you, but this is going to be really REALLY hard to do. If we do the immersion cosplay, are they going to want events like in the books? Hunting parties, balls, fishing trips, things like that? What about romances like you find in Emily Bronte? Handsome men to come in and sweep off your feet? What if they come and they are the typical 'ugly American' who doesn't know how to take high tea and eats their entree with fish fork? And who knows in this day and age how to address a Bishop unless you are actually royalty and grew up with this from birth? How many people are going to compare Bellweather to the romantic comedy 'Austenland'?"

Mia nodded as she considered these points. "Okay, first thing is we hire back the staff. We work from there and don't worry about the next step, just the one we are on."

They took their time over the next few weeks to contact every former employee of the mansion. Most were already reemployed in other places, but some were able to be coaxed back with promises of bonuses and raises. Some, like the Housekeeper and Butler, were available to employment immediately. It turns out that they didn't go looking for additional employment because they decided to just retire together, as the old married couple they were.

The servant housing was reopened and refurbished first. Single people were housed in the dorm area of the mansion, and couples were moved into the housing units. Most were able to get their former living spaces back with no problems.

Mia and Angie had to be moved to the Mistress's Bedroom. Since Mia was going to be playing the role of the Lady of the Manor, and Angie was to be her Lady's Maid, this was the most appropriate bedroom suite. Mostly they just carried her things up to the Master Suite, and then put Angie and her things in the attached Lady's Maid room. The "Lord's Suite" was correctly across the hall and the occupant would be paying handsomely for the privilege of laying his head there.

While the servants settled into their quarters and got things ready for the household to open as a location to live in, Mia and Angie went through all the wardrobe choices for both of them in the closets. They had both hung what they found in the attics up in milady's room and in the various drawers. Now they had to pull each piece out and check it over for problems such as sizing and time damage.

"I'm not seeing much problem with the ravages of time, Mia. I think the only issue we will have with these is going to be getting them to fit you and me. I mean, I think these ladies were size 0 or something, this is ridiculous."

Mia couldn't help but agree. Most of the clothing seemed to be sized for someone with a 16 inch waist, who was no more than 5 foot 2 inches in height. "I think we are going to be giving a lot of business to the dress maker we went to not too long ago."

Angie grimaced. "I can see that, but I have another thought. She and her staff are going to be doing all the staff's uniforms, and may be way too busy to do our wardrobes as well. How about enlisting and paying those reenactors and historical preservation people to make us the wardrobes we need?"

"That's a good thought," Mia said. "We have been sending all kinds of the vintage stuff to them, so I guess we are owed a favor or two, and if we pay them for this stuff, I can't see where the objections would be too horrible."

Soon they had their computers out again and were looking up the people they had contacted on various costuming boards. They each put up multiple posts calling for those who were interested in helping to make entire wardrobes for them to use. Details and pictures were quickly posted and all were invited to contact them for information and details.

They managed to scrounge together a couple of outfits each for themselves, and had a good time putting them on. Once properly gowned, Mia went to find the Housekeeper, while Angie got her study and office ready for Mia's use.

Mrs. Jessica Callum had been the Housekeeper forever, and knew the property and building as well as, if not better than, Gerome himself. She recognized Mia as Mr. Gerome from the beginning, and once the situation was explained to her, she found it immensely funny. Mrs. Callum had many stories about how Mr. Gerome had bitten off far more than he could chew, and spent a couple hours telling it to Angie with a laugh in her voice. Mia didn't really mind since she had a good sense of humor about Mr. Gerome.

Angie was kept laughing about all this for several hours, and Mia grew more and more embarrassed at each tale related. Finally when she could stand it no more, Mia recalled everyone to the task at hand.

"Mrs. Callum, we are going to have to have your assistance if this is going to be a successful venture. I'm not talking about business acumen, but we will need to figure out what we need for the servants in the way of period items and clothing, what we will need for the guests and what I will need. I'm thinking that I'll need multiple outfits for each day, and if we are doing it as a two-week immersion, then I figure I'll need about three outfits a day, which comes up to a total of 42 outfits, not counting all the ball gowns and such."

Mrs. Callum thought about that a few moments. "If you also add in things like party dresses, nightgowns, robes, bathing costumes and so on, there's quite a few more outfits. Then you add in all the guest's clothing needs, plus both sexes…"

Mia dropped her head into her hands. "You're right. Gods, I didn't think about all THOSE outfits too. Plus two complete sets of livery for every servant for each day…"

"Many of those can be washed and recycled. But you will need all the underthings for the ladies, corsets and so on, and all the underthings for the gentlemen as well…"

Angie spoke up. "But if they bring their own things, that will negate a lot of that expense to us."
"M'dear, even if they do, do you honestly think that they won't need extra? M'lady Mia can't be seen in the same outfit twice by those that are guests here, and while the guests can, there's still getting it all right for differing occasions. I think you may need to consider hiring a full time seamstress and modiste to live on the property and help the people who are to play here."

"Since we have the town set up for supporting the manor, do you think that free or very reduced housing would be something that could be offered as a perk of working here?"

Mrs. Callum said "Yes, I think that might help. Live over your shop, get some of the people who want to work in a more primitive society to move in as well as farmers and such, then you have a source for butter and eggs for the mansion, and you might even get those who want to barter their work for living space, have fresh organic items and less modern methods of farming."

Mia got really excited. "This is sounding more and more like a Victorian Jamestown right here in Virginia! With the added bonus that you can come and live like that for a span."

Angie blushed and then spoke. "Don't forget that one rustic cabin we found, with all the leather in it? There's people who would pay a lot of money to come do that in private and seclusion to each other, or pay to be the 'controlled and punished sissy maid' as an option."

"Yes, but WE don't do that. If the guest wants to do it, fine, they can. But we don't play that with any of the guests. We are not a BnB/BDSM place, just a place where you can come be a doll for a while."

Mrs. Callum was nodding, "Begging your pardon ma'am, but that always struck me as one of those 'it takes all sorts' kind of things. It's okay if they want it done, but I won't do it. Unfortunately the Housekeeper is the one that is going to be doing most of that punishment to those who do want that kind of play as a servant or French Maid. I don't care if they want that, just don't ask me to play too."

Mia nodded. "Don't worry about that. IF it is done at all, it will be over in the cabins or in their bedrooms. Speaking of which, do we have locks on the bedroom doors?"

Angie spoke up. "Of course. Doors in old places like this all had locks on the bedroom doors, just for those times when the guests wanted to jump each other. The problem is making the doors secure with modern conveniences, but making it so that those are hidden, like the heating and AC in the house, the vacuum system, the wifi, the light bulbs and such."

Mia rolled her eyes. "Oh my gods, ANOTHER renovation? We just finished several."

By spending several weeks in research and contacting contractors, Mia and Angie were able to figure out just how much they needed to do still.

Contractors arrived to refurbish (and in some cases rebuild) all the cabins on the property. Mia made sure to point out to the contractors that they needed to hide the modern conveniences any place they could. Putting the compressors for the HVAC underground wasn't practical, but putting it some distance away and burying the power and hoses to the house was possible, while building a rustic-looking rock over the top of the compressor hid the machinery itself.

Gaslights were replaced with the gas-like bulbs to give the flicker of candles and jet flames. Where the light was actually needed (for desk lamps and reading), Edison bulbs (much better made than the original) were installed.

The dilemma about the room locks was solved by having a specialty locksmith make an electronic lock that would work with ancient brass keys. The person who cast the keys embedded a small RFID chip into it that could be custom coded for a guest's stay. The key would be programmed when the guest arrived and given to their assigned body servant, to be given to them when they were actually in their room, as per etiquette. The housemaids had master keys to the bedrooms so they could enter and clean while the guest was gone, just as the Housekeeper did. The old key would be inserted into the door, the RFID chip read by the lock mechanism, then they would be able to turn the lock to open the door. Without that RFID, the locking mechanism wouldn't turn, and it couldn't be picked either.

Having so many items custom made gave an appreciation of modern technology to Mia. They had the entire property wired up with WiFi, and set it all so it wouldn't broadcast its availability, but would be available to those who knew it was there in the first place. Electrical sockets were hidden in odd places, under tables with the power wires snaking through the legs of the furniture into a hole in the floor, then under the flooring itself and in special channels under carpets in the floor. Wide screen TVs were hidden by putting them in a frame, and placing a scrim over it showing a painting. When turned on the picture from the TV would shine through.

Mia wasn't about to give up her modern conveniences, and neither were the staff. But all that had to be hidden to keep the experience up for the guests. The cabins were another matter, they could be what they actually were, since none of the Immersive Guests would be staying there.

Even so, Mia had a pamphlet made up for those who were renting the cabins to show them all the features, like where outlets were, what the WIFI password was and so on. Delivery of food orders from the house was available to the cabins by an old Wells-Fargo wagon, or if the guest preferred, they could purchase the makings or full meals from the people in town and cook it themselves.

The Servant's Village took on a life of its own. More people were being invited so they could add their special skills to the overall area. Farmers who wanted to do more primitive farming and use more organic techniques were contacted, offered housing for a low rent, and they came. Their goods could be sold in a local Farmer's Market every Saturday, and most days at the greengrocer. Skilled craftsmen in various arts such as cobbling and joinery were asked to come and live here. The Servant's Village became the local Tennant's Town.

One problem came to light when the local county contacted Mia about the resources she was suddenly demanding and using. The conference with the local government was very illuminating. The age of Manor Houses and Tennant Farmers was long over, so the local Sheriff had legal authority over the area of Bellweather and the County Government officials had to make their voices known too. Bellweather was also purchasing electricity, water and sewage from the local county, and while it wasn't obvious, having a garbage truck come through every week was certainly jarring to the facade they were presenting. Conversations went back and forth about how to disguise these services, and if it might be easier to just set Bellweather up as the unincorporated town of Bellweather and be done with it.

While renovations were going on in the manor and the other buildings, additional housing was erected in the town to house those invited in. Once the idea got out to those who wanted to live like this permanently, Mia and Angie had a flood of letters and emails asking about opportunities to live and work at Bellweather.

One group that was invited in nearly immediately were the clothes makers. There was going to be an incredibly large demand for clothing, not only for the servants, but the guests as well. Potters moved in to make dishes and a blacksmith took up residence. In every case, the people moving in were informed that the whole point of Bellweather was to make an experience for the guest of the manor. While modern conveniences such as plumbing and electricity were okay to have, they did have to blend in with the overall environment. Music was alright, loud boom boxes were not. A modern sewing machine was fine as long as it looked like an old treadle machine. Having a car was fine, as long as it was not parked in the garage behind your house but in a locked garage building at the train station where the guests would be arriving. Unless, of course, the town person happened to own a 1864 Parker electric car.

One of the biggest headaches was installing the special closets in each bedroom to hide the modern luggage in. Since the experience was to be immersive, Mia decided to start it all on the train. The guest would come into a location where the train would pick them up. While on the train ride, which took under 30 minutes to complete, they would be given clothing to change into or to cover up the modern clothing. Dusters, long coats, goggles and so on were on the train ready to make the guest feel like they were in Victorian America. Meanwhile, their luggage would be placed into steamer trunks, and their handbags or packs would be put into carpet bags. Once they arrived at the town, their belongings would be placed with them on the carriage or antique car for the trip to the Mansion.

Once there, the guest would be greeted by Mia, the hostess, and offered time to relax and refresh themselves. They would be led to their assigned room by their body servant, who would unpack the "trunk" and "bags" in the room without them being present. The body servant would help them dress for the next meal. The guest would be presented with their key, and then they were free to go wandering. Once the bags were unpacked and appropriate items were put away, or where the guest could get at it, all the rest would be left in their luggage. The servant would turn off any electronic devices they found, open up the special closet and store all the luggage and other modern things in it, and plug in the electronica to special outlets in the closet to let it charge. The closet would then be locked with the room key.

The guest was then in Victorian America until they left.

The locals could get out any time they needed to, simply by taking the train a half an hour to their car, then going wherever they needed to go. The people around Bellweather soon started understanding why these people would pop up with odd clothes needing something from them, and stopped making comments about it. To help the locals, Mia made sure the train service to and from the town was free and ran out and back every other hour all day.

up
103 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow!!!

Andrea Lena's picture

Welcome back! And thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

glad to see this story

glad to see this story continue, quite the concept i can see where it might even be viable seeing the large number of reenactors and cos players around the world

A blast from the past!

(Both a reference to how long it took to get back in the flow of writing this tale, and of course what Mia and Angie have been doing with Bellweather).

Mia's plan for Bellweather is certainly interesting - and of course while substantial investment was needed to get the plan off the ground, running costs are more than likely to be met via the guests. It's possible that town meetings will be held occasionally to gather everyone's experiences, e.g. if things are going particularly well / not so well, if anyone has additional ideas for the immersion periods, or even suggesting town socials during quieter times (e.g. low season). As for waste management, it's likely the project will create more 'green' waste than a typical business, which could be composted or fed to pigs, while other waste (both recyclable and not) could probably be stored somewhere discreet and collected from the edge of the settlement (either directly via an adjacent road or via an access road screened from the rest of the settlement via trees or a ha-ha)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I Liked The Dynamic Before

joannebarbarella's picture

Between Gerome and Mia, and I still like it.

The idea of turning Bellweather into a period-themed retreat is excellent, I think. It doesn't actually have to make a huge profit because Mia/Gerome is already extremely wealthy. This is more to do with giving Mia a raison d'etre for her life that she can enjoy free at last of Grandma.

I'm so glad you've continued and look forward to the implementation of the project.