Keeping a Promise

Printer-friendly version

Keeping a Promise



636_082411_fx_eagle.jpg


The sky was heavy with rain clouds. The air was still as the grave. To most people the young female soldier dressed in her Dress Blue Uniform was rather pretty. If there was anyone there to see her as she walked among the graves stones. She had her head held high with pride.

She often came here with her mother, but today she was alone. In her hands she held a bouquet of flowers and a small American flag. It has been a long hard year for the young lady. But she kept her promise to her father. She would have made him proud of her.

Two days ago she walked across the stage and received her beret. Everything she went through was worth it for that simple piece of fabric. The humiliation at the hands of her grandparents who didn’t understand her. The hate and torments that had been heaped upon her by her high school class mates. The bullying from every cheap ass jock that came along.

The long hours of training her mind and body with everything from riddle boxes and cross word puzzles, to ballet and gymnastics. She remembers the hours and hours of hard work in the gyms with weights and treads mills. The special classes in not one but three different types of martial arts and training in hand to hand combat by her god fathers. The long hours of study and isolation just to earn her way into one of the greatest Military Academies in the land.

Even there she faced an uphill battle from the start. Every politician with an axe to grind tried to stop her. Then there were the Televangelists and their holy crusade against her. To them she was the whore of Babylon sent to corrupt the fine upstanding students who would defend their country one day. Oh how the Moral Majority had their field day with her attending the Academy. But no matter what they did she never gave up her dream and the promise she made to her father. Her mother had instilled in her a strong sense of duty and the courage to stand for her ideals.

It was this courage that had become a will of iron at first. Then through all of her hardship that iron will was forged into steel of the hardest, strongest, and finest quality. It drove her to be better than what all of her nay Sayers said she could be. She had succeeded where they said she would fail. Each and every time they tried to stop her she found a way around them. No obstacle would stand in her way.

She had come a long way from that poor lonely child hiding in its bedroom. A child who lost its father at the hands of the enemy so long ago. A child who so desperately wanted to tell her father the truth about herself, but never had the chance. The day she and her mother laid him to rest here in this cemetery she made him a promise.
It took her twenty years to keep that promise, but now she had. She was here to tell him that that she did it. She had set herself a goal to one day follow in her father’s footsteps. And she did it; despite all those who would rather she fail in her attempts to do what only one in every one hundred succeeds at. She had done what they said she could not.

For months of pain and hardship during her training were nothing compared to what she went through to be the woman she was today. The pain of looking at her body every morning as a small child and knowing it was wrong. The pains of humiliation from her class mates as she molded her body through hormones and surgery to correct nature’s mistake. All the pain during her training was nothing compared to that she suffered after her final surgery to become whole. Even now whatever life threw at her she would face it with a smile.

After a few moments of walking she came to her father’s grave. The marker was a simple thing to hold such a strong and powerful message. Just four simple lines asking for something so simple. Words that would become a promise in a young child’s mind at first then in her heart. Words that would be her rock in times of great trial and heart ache. It would be these words that would drive her to be the best of the best, no matter what life would throw at her.

1st Sgt. Thomas Moore
U.S. Army Special Forces Airborne
Loving Husband and Father
‘I am always with you. Remember me.’

Looking down at her father’s grave the young lady wipes away the tears that came to her eyes. “I made it daddy. I earned my Beret. I am a Green Beret just like you were, now. I learned what that means and I will make you proud of what I have done. I kept my promise to you. Daddy, I know that you did your best to come home to mom and me. I know that I might not have been the son you wanted me to be, but I hope that wherever you are you can be proud of the daughter I have become. Mom said to say hello, I know she comes here often to talk with you. I am sorry I don’t come by as much as I use to, but you know how the Army is. Always being sent in to fix the politicians fuck ups. When will they ever learn that they can’t bully everyone into thinking the same way?” the young lady sighed heavily as she really didn’t want to talk about what was on her mind.

“Daddy, they are sending me to the sandbox along with my team next week. I know that it is my duty, but how do I tell mama? I remember every time you left she worried non-stop until you walked back through the door. How do I tell her that it is my turn to go to war? I don’t want her to worry but I can’t lie either. I really wish you were here to give me some advice on this.” Her tears were starting to flow again when she heard a cough behind her. Wiping her tears she turn to find one the soldiers that put out the flags on the graves.

After she returned his salute the young sergeant said. “Excuse me Lieutenant, but maybe I can help you out?”
The young woman looked him over and noticed that he wore a combat patch on his right arm of his uniform. At first she didn’t recognize the unit but it quickly came to her. She was rather surprised to see that it was the unit she would soon be joining.

“Of course Sergeant right now I’ll take any advice you can offer.”

“Just tell your mama the truth. I know it is rude of me but I was listening to you talk with the Top here. I take it you’re his daughter ma’am?” at the nod of her head the young man smiled. “Then I know you’ll make him proud ma’am. Just do your job to the best of your abilities and he’ll be just fine. You have already done that by winning your beret. As for your mama, well she knows that her daughter is a soldier and war is part of the job. Just tell her the truth. Because no matter what you do she’ll still be worried about her baby. That is what mothers do. Now if you’ll excuse me ma’am I need to finish up before recall. I have to get another four hundred flags out today.”

She stood there and watched as the young man stepped past her and continued on down the line of graves. Stopping at every tomb stone and placing a small flag one foot in front of it centered on the tomb stone. She notices that he didn’t put one in front of her fathers. That is when she realized that she had his flag in her hand still. Reaching down she placed her father’s flag one foot and center for his stone. When she stood back up she looked around to thank the Sergeant for his kind words.

To her shock she couldn’t see him anymore but all the tomb stones had a flag placed in front of them now. Then she thought back to how the sergeant’s uniform seemed a little out of date. The more she thought about the man’s uniform the more she realized that the Army hadn’t issued that style in almost twenty five years. The last time those BDU’s were standard issue her father wore them. As her fear started to rise she felt a loving warmth surround her. It was as if she was once again in the arms of her father.

With a lighter heart she turned and headed for where she had parked her car. As she walked away from the lonely graves she failed to notice the two men standing under the centuries old oak tree. To most that would see them they appeared to be just another pair of soldiers taking a break in the shade. The fact that their uniforms were out of date didn’t matter. The fact that one wore armor not seen since the time of Moses should have been a clue.

With a smile on his face the younger of the two turned to the man in armor. “Thanks for this Saint Michael. I know the Boss doesn’t like for us to have contact with our families. But I had to be here today. My baby girl has done me proud and I get to keep my promise to her.”

Turning to look at the young man the archangel just smiled. Placing his arm around the fallen hero he asked.
“You’re not mad at Charlie for wanting to be a girl are you?”

“Shit no! I always loved my child. I am proud to call that young lady my daughter. I don’t care if she wanted to be a boy or a girl so long as she is happy. The fact that she went on to accomplish all of her dreams so makes me even prouder. That girl is going to be one Hell of a Green Beret.” The smile and look of pride only confirmed what the archangel knew to be the truth.

“I know that you would love to stay around for a little longer Sergeant but we have to be getting back now.”

“Sure no problem I understand sir. Do you think we can stop off at Fiddlers Green for a beer before heading home?”

“Sure son, I think we can swing that. Besides I feel a need to raise a glass in a toast to the newest Green Beret.” With a wave of his hand the archangel transported the two of them to a bar on the other side of the vale. To the people who were in the cemetery they appeared to just disappear in the heat shimmer coming off the ground on this hot Memorial Day. No one would ever guess that this scene was being played out in cemeteries across the nation as soldiers of all ages took the chance to keep a promise to a loved one.


For all those who paid the price and kept the promise of FREEDOM alive. We salute you all.

up
516 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

now this is beautiful

Alecia Snowfall's picture

*steals the box of kleenex off Jess' desk* you did awesome on this one hun. This a wonderful salute and let me be the first of many thanks.
 
somewhere in a shadowy place Lyssa Kordenay stops and salutes

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Well Done

I write with tears in my eyes " War is Hell" may we never forget our fallen HERO'S .
Very well done KUDOS

thank you

From one old soldier to another, thank you for remembering the fallen and the ones who still go in harm's way.

Jeri

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

It is my honor

wolfjess7's picture

It is my honor and duty to remember and honor our brothers and sisters who wear or have worn the uniform.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

keeping a promise

as being a vet my self I think about my father who too serve ww2. I just hope he look down and hope he was proud of me I did my time in vietnam

I always think of

wolfjess7's picture

I always think of my grandfathers, father, and all those who came be for me this time of the year. As I did my time in uniform in the service of our nation I often hoped my own father was proud of me.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Thanks

Thank you for the thoughts from one who served and lost family to war.

You're welcome

wolfjess7's picture

For one who has served and has family still serving you're welcome.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

beautiful, thank you

and to those here who have served, my thanks

DogSig.png

Wow

Beautiful message, Jess. Thank you

thank you

what a wonderful story for memorial day weekend. god bless all those who have and all those still serving to keep our country free.
robert

001.JPG

Fitting tale

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

A fitting tale for this weekend. Kudos to the story and kudos to the theme, honoring vets who have given the supreme sacrifice.

Thanks to all who have put their lives on the line for my freedom. God bless you all.

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

I have been visiting a few friends this weekend.....

D. Eden's picture

And placing flowers and a few flags. Like this story, I know that they are watching over me as I watch over their families for them. It is on days like today that I miss them the most.

This was a beautiful little story - I thought I was all cried out for the day, but I guess not. Thank you for writing this.

Absent comrades.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

thank you

I remember when the rifles were fired,
The flag was carefully folded and presented to my Mom. I'll always miss Dad.
Thank you for this story.
You've touched my heart ❤

I'll try to folow , . .

in step with the other grateful comments for this beautiful picture that some can really grasp. I have a nephew serving now, and I'll never regret the choice I made to serve as a 91B4S ! jjc

johncorc1

love it

iamaredneck07's picture

I was crying from this story how the dad came back but she didn't know
you had me in tears
good job
All the men and women or the armed forces are heroes and should be helped anyway they can be
and I hope they will come home to there familys

01010111 01100101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100111 01101111 01100100 01100100 01100101 01110011 01110011 01100101 01110011

Thank you.

Another wonderful tribute for both to those who have paid the ultimate price, and those who will continue to do so. May they rest in peace.

*sniff*

Pass the kleenex Snow, I need a few.

- Leona

Tears in my eyes

I have tears in my eyes from reading this. I never wore the uniform But I come from a great family that has a military background. My mom's dad was a 3 war vet he flew planes in ww2 koren and nam. My dad is a nam vet. My uncle his brother is a air force vet,my uncle in law on my mom's side is a nam vet also. 2 of my brother in laws are vets. I have several friends that vets of the most recent war. I also have a friend in the navy atm. My former nephew is going to be a marine soon. I may not have served but by god I respect the hell outta our soldiers and vets. I seen a old man in a fast food restaurant with his family he had on a hat that said veteran of WW2 korea an nam. After I bussed my table I walked up to that elder man an stuck out my hand and told him I thanked him for his service to this country. He smiled and said your welcome it's nice to be thanked an remembered. I can only hope that lil act of kindness helped brighten his day. So I say THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.

Thanks for a beautiful story,

Thanks for a beautiful story, brought tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat

Thank you

Just excellent

Wendy Marie

Add my tears and kudos.

Bobbie Sue's picture

Thank you for the excellent Memorial Day story. It was very tastefully done.

Served and still serving veterans.

Bobbie Sue

Beautiful story

gillian1968's picture

Remembering three of my classmates who died in Vietnam.
Thanks.

Gillian Cairns

As an old crippled up SEAL I

As an old crippled up SEAL I give many thanks to you and thank you for remembering the ones we lost over the years .. I salute you

I am not American

But i respect all soldiers of righteousness.
Since childhood I am always against 'human killing another human' but come to realize in the end that sometime it is just necessary as per quote: 'Evil triump when the good men(and women) do nothing'. (mind my english. I am from Borneo) :)

Respect to all soldiers who sacrifice and fight for their nation and for righteousness.

Wonderful story

Jamie Lee's picture

This story is a really nice tribute to those who wore and wear a uniform.

Many gave their all in service to their countries. And many will miss them.

Others have feelings too.

Lovely sweet sad story.They

Lovely sweet sad story.They gave their todays for our tomorows. I think we should always do as much as we can for vets in the UK and the US.

WIN_20151108_12_30_51_Pro.jpg

Just read this very tearful

Just read this very tearful story, and I really don't know how I missed it originally. Thank you for it.
Each year my grandson's school puts on their Veteran's day salute, and after a morning breakfast buffet for all the veterans who attend; they hold their school assembly in the gym.
Everyone in the school attends, with Teachers and Staff who are in the military Reserves or Guard wearing their uniforms. Each child who wishes to do so, brings photos of their relatives who have or are serving, which are posted on a special board where others can go and look at them. The children who have Veteran relatives who have come to the assembly, get to sit with them, and then during the program, that child gets to introduce that relative to all the other children.
This past year, we had a Veteran who was a WWII B-17 Ball Turrent Gunner.
When he stood up and came forward, he was given a standing ovation by ALL the other Veterans in the assembly; followed by a standing ovation by the entire assembly.
Having my own father buried in a National Cemetery, I can fully understand this young woman's "talk" with her father.
Thank you again.

I keep on coming back to this one!

Of course, I am helped by it being the onwards link after I have completed reading the most recent episode of "Interpol Heartburn" (or its preceding titles). Every time it "gets me", even as a 100 per cent unbeliever!
And then, this time, I noticed I had never, ever, even given it a Kudos! I guess I first read it as one of my early ventures into BC, before I learnt various ways of showing my appreciation.
So, belatedly, here it is, and thanks
Dave

What an awesome story.

WillowD's picture

It has me in tears. I am so thankful that my father lived to retire. Not everyone was this lucky.

Tears

This is one that makes me tear up everytime I read it. I've bookmarked it and come back quite often, not just near Memorial Day.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin