Abnormalies Part 1

Printer-friendly version

Abnormalies

Part 1

The year is 2150, the populace of Earth had to give up fossil fuels years ago due the ozone nearly being depleted. This is where my tails start. My name is Twitchy, yeah really weird name, but I’ll get to reason why shortly. In the late 2000’s when people started to notice it was getting hotter and hotter every month. The scientists discovered the problem with the ozone, their readings were well off and it was nearly gone. The world’s leaders all got together and immediately stopped the extraction of fossil fuels. This meant we had to implement the programmes that was already developed, but the fuel companies did not want them released, as they controlled enough corrupt officials to stop it actually coming to fruition.

This technology was electro-cromagnetic drive systems (cromag for short). Some scientists discovered its use in the late 2000’s after an asteroid of unknown origin crashed into the moon in the 60’s. Of course, the government had to go and retrieve it. Sometimes I think apes are cleverer than humans in this regard. If they do not understand anything, they leave it alone. Not humans, no, they have to go and bring the thing back to Earth. This is when they discovered some weird elements that are not on our scale. Again leave alone? Nope, they have to go and start playing around. After a year or so there was a eureka moment. No, they didn’t figure it out; it exploded. When that happened, that is when all the machines took all the readings to create cromag drive systems. Apparently the explosion in the stone made it so we could fuse certain elements together to make certain types of stones hyper magnetic with the Earth. Thus cromag drive systems.

Anyway I’m going off track here. There was also another discovery when that thing exploded. Those people in the lab (it was pretty big, nearly 5000 acres as it was doing other stuff also, so a lot of people from all different countries) got infused with some of the weird elements that we didn’t know about. This meant that they also somehow got this weird way of being able to move, granted not very far, but we’ll get to that later.

The explosion created some kind of weird thing to happen to the workers DNA. Subsequently the children of those adults born from then on got it passed to them. If 2 people that worked at the lab got together, an offshoot happened to the kids that were born, they were able to use the movement a lot more as the years went by. This is where it gets to my parents. See, it was my grandparents that started this off. My granddad worked at the lab, and also my grandmother. No they weren’t married then. It was my dad’s dad and my mum’s mum. The grandies as I call them were married to normal (not infused by the meteor). Then they both had kids who were able to use the cromag, then came my parents, both were cromag users. Then I was born, a child to 2 cromag users. Well this is where my current predicaments starts, I didn’t know there was a government agency looking out for these kids, were called Abnormalies.

These kids were all born of mixed cromag parents like I am. We display some really weird ways of using the cromag system. The people who are normal cromag users can travel between 2 points quickly as long as they have a starter and inhibiter. A starter makes the cromag user travel over 500 mph without any whiplash, and an inhibitor is used to bring them back to normal speed. People can use cromag without the starter or inhibitors but they go really slowly.

Then there’s little old me and other Abnormalies.

We can somehow not only start and stop fast without the use of starters and inhibitors. Now the government is trying to figure this out so they can develop it more. The problem is with some kids like me. I am really a girl trapped in a boy’s body. There are rumours of some that are the other way around, boys trapped in girls bodies can do something different to what I can do. But I don’t know what that is, the government doesn’t want people to know.

We, the Abnormalies (gonna call us abs for short) can not only start and stop quick, we have the availability to think of where to go and we get there really quick, this is where my name comes from as my parents noticed not long after I was born that when I was twitching. I disappeared and reappeared in a different room.

Well this is where the government want to now more, they want an army with this ability, to colonise space, and this will save all sorts of resources having an army with our abilities. To be able to disappear and reappear at will miles away. The problem is, up to now we are all in hiding. As we are often experimented on when found out and the parents tend to move to a certain place, still don’t know what it’s called, but it means we cannot use our abilities, yes we can get out, but without knowing where we are, we cannot get back. This sucks big time. It was about 6 months ago when my parents decided to move to this secure place, this is where I met Jon. Jon is like me sort of but he is a female to male, we are both 12 and we have overheard our parents talking quietly about something that happens when we reach 13.

Meanwhile elsewhere on the planet.

A fist slammed down on the desk.

“Hannigan, give me an update.”

Hannigan heart sank. It was bad enough to be quizzed in a room of colleagues, but it was even worse when he didn’t have good news. “Sir, I cannot find them, we have searched the planet with the satellites but nothing, there’s no sign of them at all.”

“What do you mean, no sign? We have a few hundred spy satellites positioned around Earth and no sign? Are you bloody useless and don’t know how to use the software?”

“No sir, I’ve had them searching bit by bit and nothing is popping up.”

“How so? We know these freaks give off some weird signal. We caught onto that 20 years ago when they picked something up. Since then we have only managed to catch a dozen or so of them. I’m getting my arse chewed out by top brass to produce more kids to experiment on as the programme is stalled at the moment. We don’t get enough time to study them before they die. We need that army created as soon as possible. The bloody Earth is dying and we need to colonise other planets quickly, to do this we need this army to travel to other planets and get rid of the indigenous population so we have somewhere. The only bloody planet we have found is the next galaxy over called Genesis.

“Fuck it Hannigan, get extra people in here. Pull them out of boot if they have surveillance techniques to find the bastards. We haven’t got long, the squints said about 30 year’s max, so we need to catch these fuckers ASAP. My next report from you better have a fucking location on them or you’re going to ERSC* and we’ll let them play. I’m off to my office.”

*Earth Relocation Scientific Centre

“Poor bastards”, thought Hannigan. He didn’t want to get sent to ERSC. That’s where they experiment on those kids. “The things we’ve heard coming out of that place scare the living shit out of me. I better bring in those recruits he mentioned.”

“Jennings, get me a list of the new recruits at boot specifically those with surveillance background.”

“Yes sir. Contacting boot now” (I’m also going to contact Genesis and let them know what’s happening, we knew Earth was fucked but we thought we had more time. Better make sure I hide my personal comms system if were getting new recruits in).

Meanwhile on Genesis

“Rich, we’ve had a secure comms come through from Jennings, latest is 30 years max and their history, they’re gonna be coming for us and soon if they find our bases on Earth and figure out the changes.”

“Thanks Lou, better let our hosts know so they can look into it. We got any more info on Jon and Twitch? What are they nearly 13 now?”

“Yes sir, Twitch is 12 years and 11 months and Jon is about a month younger. When they hit 13 they’ll come into their powers which will give them the availability to switch gender and be who they are. We both know that’s when their secondary powers kick in and gives them full ability to space warp, that’s when we will be able to see if they want to come here with their parents. They’ve been at the base 6 months now, so all the checks have been done on their parents to make sure they are not spies.”

“Thanks Lou, have our sensors reported any more kids going through the same?”

“Yes Rich, as its getting about the right time, more and more of the kids of the original scientists of the base are having families of their own, seems something strange is happening and somehow they are gravitating towards other people like them. It’s like they are drawn to one another and not towards normal people without the changed DNA.”

“Thanks Lou, we thought this might happen, our benefactors clued me in on the last report.” Thank god they contacted our parents group and made themselves known to them, otherwise we may not be here. “Send a communication back to Gen Base 10. I think it’s time we let those kids know what’s gonna happen.”

“Ok Rich, finally they will be able to be themselves, but like us when we transformed, they are going to love it.”

Lou then typed into her console. “This is Genesis Base to Gen Base 10, time to let the kids know.”

“This is Gen Base 10, Roger over and out, we will set up the meeting now. Anything from the other 9 bases across the globe?”

“We have, and across them all we have about 50 or so kids about to hit that time in their lives, time to start getting some quarters ready for them.”

“Roger over and out, keep us informed. I know we are not allowed to know where the other 9 are, but it would help with the current kids we have to know there are other kids their age they can get to know.”

“You know we do not let you know their location for a reason 10, if one base gets compromised, you have no way of disclosing their location if you don’t know where they are.”

“Ok Genesis, would be nice to be able to speak to others but I get the importance of secrecy, over and out.”

Lou, “god I would love to see the looks on those kids faces when they get told when they hit 13 they can be who they want to be genetically, It was the same with me and Rich shortly after we turned 13, it was like a dream come true, then coming here for an entirely new life. We’ve been here 7 years now and only had about 15 other kids come through, something tells me there’s going to be a surge of refugees coming soon, better start getting the new residences in place.”

Elsewhere on Genesis.

“Greetan, we have just been informed there will be an influx coming through shortly. Roughly about 50 families from the 10 bases. All families checked out, some very good scientists amongst the parents also to help us with our own planet. When we originally found Earth in the early 2000’s as they call their time lines. It took us a long time to realise how they treat their people if they are different. As a race of both sexes this we could not allow, this is why we sent one of our asteroids to that planet’s moon just short of a Centon ago, with the building blocks to help those that are suffering. But we need to be careful that we do not get any of those interfering government people that we have heard so much about. Those and the people they call bigots.”

“Thank you Freemix for the update, you better tell the Royals that we will be having company soon, and once they arrive we will have to perform the ritual of soul cleansing to fully integrate them into our culture.”

“Also, I think it is time we clued them in on their Granddaughter, I don’t envy the fact that we kept that particular piece of information from them. The fact that we used some of their DNA to only attach to a specific DNA sequence and that has now come to fruition. Any idea on how Twitch will react when she finds out she is Royalty, and also what her and his Highness will react when we tell them?”

“Well, for one I think they will want to take the Royal battle fleet to Earth immediately to get her now, they know we are suffering with repopulation problem, especially when they lost their only child eons ago and could no longer reproduce, this will be their dream come true”

End of part 1

Kindly edited and proof read by Karen Page of the SPA Universe

up
140 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

i like it very much,

Teresa L.'s picture

i hope you continue the story, i think i has great potential.

Teresa L.

Teresa L.

Abnormalies

Yes it will continue, just written part 2, part 1 was written 5 hours ago so while my muse is on a roll, I am going with it, Part 2 just sent to the proofer, editor

should be very interesting to

should be very interesting to see which way you take this , will they make it off earth with no problems or will they have to be rescued

Off To A Very Promising Start !

I like the beginning of this tale very much indeed. It has all the ingredients required for a rattling great yarn - "normal humans" being shown up as stupid and undeserving of the Linnean name of Homo "sapiens" - stupidens would be far closer to the truth; an aggressive and inhumane government; (very close to Real Life!) lots of mixing of genders; Evolution in Action; Escape from a poisoned planet to a nice new world....

I wait with eager anticipation the following chapters, I thank you and wish you every success with its further development.

Briar

Huh

Tas's picture

Interesting concept, I'll be interested to see where you take this :)

-Tas